New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XX

Q111

Is there a cleric optimization guide out there? If so, my googlefu is failing me.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    Q111

Is there a cleric optimization guide out there? If so, my googlefu is failing me.
    A111

Here's a Cleric handbook from the guys over at brillantgameologists:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...hp?topic=420.0

3. - Top - End - #213
    Halfling in the Playground

Q112

Is there a list of ways to gain metamagic feats without spending feats gained through levels?

4. - Top - End - #214

OldWizardGuy

Q113
    If a character has multiple casting classes capable of casting Animate Dead, does that character have a separate control pool for each class or only one control pool?

E.g. with a Cleric 10/Wizard 10, can one control 40HD of undead with cleric-cast spells and 40HD of undead with wizard cast spells; or 40HD of undead regardless of which class cast Animate Dead; or 80HD of undead regardless of which class cast Animate Dead.

The wording of the spell seems to indicate the first but there might be some other source I am not aware of.
    Last edited by KicktheCAN; 2012-02-12 at 04:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Q114

Would the combination of the Frostrager's (frostburn p61) One-two-punch ability and the aformentioned snap kick give 3 unarmed attacks for one AoO at -4?
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Q115

Does the warshaper's morphic body ability apply only while in a character's base form, or while polymorphed/wildshaped too?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q 116

Can you take a 5' step while in the area of a Grease spell?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

8. - Top - End - #218

OldWizardGuy

A114 Yes, but you may only use One-Two punch once per round. Thus if you used it while attacking earlier in the round you may not use it during your AoO. This restriction does not apply to Snap Kick.

A115 None of the Warshaper's abilities function while in its base form, including Morphic Body; these abilities only function while "in a form other than her own".

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 114 Yes.

The penalties of both One-Two Punch and Snap Kick persist for the full round (i.e., until just before the start of your next turn); correspondingly, the benefits can be applied throughout this duration if allowed, and you choose to use them. There's nothing preventing the single use of One-Two Punch on an AoO.

A 116 Not normally.

You can engage in any form of walking at half speed in the area of a Grease spell if you make the required DC 10 Balance check. However, half speed for a 5' step is only 2.5', which doesn't get you out of the square. An ability which lets you make a 10' adjustment in place of a 5' step (such as a Monk trained on a Sparring Dummy of the Master) would let you move half speed and take a 5' step; again, you still need the DC 10 Balance check.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-02-12 at 06:57 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Q115 cont.

Would the druid's "thousand faces" ability be enough to trigger the use of the warshapers abilities?

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Q 116: Is there a way for a character with 4 lvls in Psi-warrior to have the Hussle, Compression, Expansion, and Psionic Lions Charge Powers and enough PP to make then all day reliable? Including uses of Compression and Expansion outside of combat? (The latter is for RP purposes. I'm asking for a freind who's trying to get a character that focus's a lot on size changing as a theme trick and who is trying to be competent in Melee at the same time. )
    "I Burn!"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Internet glitch, double post not intentional. Please Disregard.
    Last edited by Metahuman1; 2012-02-12 at 10:34 PM.
    "I Burn!"

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q117

Does the spell enlarge person give the normal bonus for increasing a size category (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm) as well as the stated bonuses (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enlargePerson.htm)

example: enlarge person is cast on a human changing them from medium to large (+8str -2dex +4con +2NA -1atk/AC) and +2str -2dex -1atk/ARC from the spell effect for a total of +10str -4dex +4con +2NA -2atk/AC

14. - Top - End - #224

Q118

If a prestige class requires feat x, is it possible to learn that feat at the same level you'd be starting the prestige class? For example, if you were to join the prestige class at level 9, could you take the required feat at level nine as you are becoming the prestige class?
    Last edited by ajfonty; 2012-02-12 at 10:42 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A116

This is a sufficiently complex question that it should probably go in its own thread. Feel free to start a new thread to ask for build advice.

A117

No. The "normal bonuses" are only used when the reason for the size change does not specify its own set of modifiers. In practice, this typically means they only come into play when advancing a monster with extra hit dice.

When a size change effect such as the Enlarge Person spell does specify a set of modifiers, the specified modifiers are always instead of rather than in addition to the ones you linked.

A118

No. The level up process as described on page 58 of the Player's Handbook has "choose class" as the very first step. You must satisfy all requirements for your chosen class before receiving any of the benefits of your new level.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2012-02-12 at 11:02 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Q 119

Is Dragon Slayer the only 1 level PrC dip that advances spellcasting (+1 level) and gives full martial weapon proficiency? 3.0 sources that have not been updated are OK.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 120
    If I have been wearing a headband of intellect for an arbitrarily large time, and I level up, does the increase in intellect give me additional skillpoints?

Q 121
    If a creature rises by a size category, but has non-standard reach, what happens?
    Specifically, I am talking about the Tentacle Whip, which is Tiny and has 15ft reach. Does this increase by the tiny --> small conversion and become 20ft reach, and if it grows to medium does it increase, and by how much?
    Last edited by Eisenfavl; 2012-02-13 at 02:15 AM. Reason: I am become bold

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

A 120

No, temporary increases to Int (including the Headband of Intellect) do not give additional skill points.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Headband of Intellect: This device is a light cord with a small gem set so that it rests upon the forehead of the wearer. The headband adds to the wearer’s Intelligence score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +2, +4, or +6. This enhancement bonus does not earn the wearer extra skill points when a new level is attained; use the unenhanced Intelligence bonus to determine skill points.

Moderate transmutation; CL 8th; Craft Wondrous Item, fox’s cunning; Price 4,000 gp (+2), 16,000 gp (+4), 36,000 gp (+6).

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 121

A nonstandard fixed reach remains a nonstandard fixed reach. That is, the Tentacle Whip symbiont has a 15' reach at any size. (For that matter, the whip exotic melee weapon has a 15' reach at any size.)

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 122

Does area of effect spells affect party members and enemies alike?

The particular spell in question is Solid Fog. One person claimed that he could casta metamagic'd Solid Fog (Invisible spell + Solid Fog) to create an invisible layer of Fog around the players. Then, he proceeded to say that the enemy would be hampered, wheras the players would not; the spell working so that the enemy would not be able to see why it was having a hard time moving / attacking, wheras the players would not be affected at all.

He also mentioned Wings of Flurry as another example, as that was a spell that only affected enemies, while leaving other characters unharmed, even if they stand in the middle of the enemy group.

This.. Does not sound right at all, to me, but since the question came up; I suppose here would be the best way to get an answer. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

A 122

Allies are only exempt in the case area effect spells that specifically say that they only affect enemies (or have similar text stating that allies are excluded). In the case of a spell like Solid Fog, it definitely affect friends and foe alike. There are a few feats, spells or items that can get around this, but by default, it affects everyone in the area.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Q123: supposing I want to craft an item that grants me +X to one particular skill (where X < 20), where do I find the rules for this, and what does it cost?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

23. - Top - End - #233
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A123

The general case for that is covered by the Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values table. However, this table is explicitly a set of guidelines rather than hard and fast rules, calls for DM judgment, and can in many ways go far beyond any published official item, so its use is often frowned upon and is much more likely to be rejected by a DM than most specific items with full individual writeups.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    A123
    So if I understand correctly, it's simply core. That it is allegedly "often frowned upon" doesn't strike me as RAW.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    So if I understand correctly, it's simply core. That it is allegedly "often frowned upon" doesn't strike me as RAW.
    Here's the RAW, from Dungeon Master's Guide on page 282:
    BEHIND THE CURTAIN: MAGIC ITEM GOLD PIECE VALUES
    Many factors must be considered when determining the price of magic items you invent. The easiest way to come up with a price is to match the new item to an item priced in this chapter and use its price as a guide. Otherwise, use the guidelines summarized on Table 7–33: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values.
    So yes, it's a secondary core guideline. As always, custom items cost whatever your individual DM decides ─ as douglas tried to point out.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Some additional background information how d&d developers created magic items etc:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20070302a
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20070309a
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20070316a

Pricing magic items is as much art as science
    So good luck

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Q 124

Will the Deathwatch spell give me "pings" on creatures that I cannot see (hiding creatures, invisible creatures, etc.)?

I know it doesn't pinpoint that creature's location, I'm just curious if using Deathwatch will let me know whether there IS a creature within the spell's emanation.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q125

Not sure if this got overlooked or not, so here it is as a question :P

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    If that were true, what's to stop you from using any other effects while activating a wand such metamagic rods? I'm pretty sure that it was clarified somewhere in the rules that using a wand is not equivalent to casting a spell, although I can't be arsed to look for it right now.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Q 126:

What happens to a nonhumanoid (warforged, elan, killoren, etc.) that becomes a Dragonborn of Bahamut (Races of the Dragon)? The "Racial Traits" section on page 8 says that they have the type "Humanoid (dragonblood)" in addition to their existing subtypes, but the "Mechanics of Rebirth" sidebar on page 10 says that they retain their original types and subtypes.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 124 Yes.
    You instantly know whether each creature within the area is dead, fragile ...
    You'll know the status and the fact that creatures you can't see are within the cone. You won't know if they're hiding in the shadows, out in the open but invisible, or Fine sized and just overlooked. You also won't know anything else about their status except for their Deathwatch condition.