New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery VIII (spoilers ahoy!)

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Effects of Holy Word (Cumulative):

HD > CL: Nothing
    HD = CL: Deafened
    CL-1 >= HD > CL-5: Blinded
    CL-5 >= HD > CL-10: Paralyzed
    HD <= CL-10: Dead

Of those affected I can see Nale, Sabine and Z clutching both their ears, so it's likely at this stage their level doesn't exceed Durkon's caster level. Nale, Sabine and Z are also squinting, suggesting they may also have been blinded, suggesting a lower level than Durkon. Apart from surprise, Kilkil doesn't seem to have reacted to the Holy Word, which would mean either his level is greater than Durkon's CL, or his level is between 5 and 9 levels lower than Durkon's CL and his non-reaction is a sign of being paralyzed. Tarquin is holding one ear but has held on to his axe. He might be deafened, or even if you suffer no ill effects it may just be very loud and he is high enough level to shrug it off.

This is not conclusive of course, and will depend on the next comic, but it's interesting stuff.
    Given his identical posture in all three images of him in that panel, I think Kilkil got paralyzed. It makes sense with him being selected for LG membership for being a kobold that was on hand rather than for any great power on his part, too.

For level comparisons when we get fully clear results, don't forget Durkon's +1 caster level for the Good domain.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Durkon has cast Stone Shape and Holy Word.
    I'm pretty sure that was Meld Into Stone, not Stone Shape. Not that it matters for counting spells cast of each level, as they're both level 3.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ogre in the Playground

Again it's speculation at this point, but if Sabine has indeed been deafened by this, then Durkon is at least level 14 (Caster Level 15), since Sabine is level 15 to match up with her rival Haley. If she is blinded as well then Durkon is at least level 15 (CL 16).
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Colossus in the Playground

"Durkon is likely the same level as his teammate" is so much stronger an argument for Haley=15 > Durkon=15 than this go-through-Sabine, treat-joke-about-Crystal-as-universal-law stuff, argh.

4. - Top - End - #1324

Sabine's a succubus and has a level adjustment. Her matching Haley is by no means a guarantee that she has the same number of hit dice as Haley, and hit dice is what Holy Word cares about.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Sabine's a succubus and has a level adjustment. Her matching Haley is by no means a guarantee that she has the same number of hit dice as Haley, and hit dice is what Holy Word cares about.
    Good point. In that case we should take Nale's impact as the base for Durkon's level. He (and Elan) are currently at least level 14, so Durkon is 13 if he's deaf, 14 if he's blind.

And then through backtracking, we can then work out Z's Hit dice as well. It's kind of a weird chain, using Elan to work out Nale to work out Durkon to work out Z, but thems the breaks in this thread.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Again it's speculation at this point, but if Sabine has indeed been deafened by this, then Durkon is at least level 14 (Caster Level 15), since Sabine is level 15 to match up with her rival Haley. If she is blinded as well then Durkon is at least level 15 (CL 16).
    Why does Durkon have +1 CL?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Why does Durkon have +1 CL?
    He has the Good Domain; +1 CL to all Good Spells.
    - The Flying Kipper

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I'd like to check how likely it is Sabine will make her save. She's got a -4 penalty, right? SRD says will +7.

So ... If Durkon is a level 13 character and has a +1 adjustment -- that means she needs a 14 or better to make the save, right? With the -4 that becomes an 18, but the +7 takes it back down to 11 -- so she's got about a 50% chance of sticking around.

Is that correct? Or have I made a mistake?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I'd like to check how likely it is Sabine will make her save. She's got a -4 penalty, right? SRD says will +7.

So ... If Durkon is a level 13 character and has a +1 adjustment -- that means she needs a 14 or better to make the save, right? With the -4 that becomes an 18, but the +7 takes it back down to 11 -- so she's got about a 50% chance of sticking around.

Is that correct? Or have I made a mistake?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    The save DC is 10 + Spell Level (7) + Wisdom Modifier (3) + Her Penalty (4) = 24. A tall order, but not impossible.
    - The Flying Kipper

10. - Top - End - #1330

Durkon probably has higher wisdom than that, the number we've got listed is just an absolute minimum.

On the flip side, Sabine has class levels which would boost her will save higher than normal for a succubus. There are a few other variables that could change it, but nothing likely to take it out of the "difficult but doesn't need a natural 20" range. By the math, she's probably gone. By drama, it could go either way and it's really up to Rich's choice.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    We've learned a couple things since this was posted, so I'm reposting it with edits. The mummies came from a staff, so Malack's Magnificent Mummy-Making Spell no longer exists. Durkon has cast Stone Shape and Holy Word.
    It's not Stone Shape, it's Meld Into Stone.

Unless both are the same thing. I'm not a DnDer, I just like checking this thread and that caught my eye.
    Last edited by Cizak; 2012-07-26 at 02:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    It's not Stone Shape, it's Meld Into Stone.

Unless both are the same thing. I'm not a DnDer, I just like checking this thread and that caught my eye.
    Nah, you're right. I was posting from my phone and wasn't sure I had the battery life to get through the post, so I rushed without doing my due diligence.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

On the minutia side we now have solid evidence that neither Z nor Kilkil is good. I'd say it’s solid enough to put in the OP, Holy word having no effect on good creatures and all.
    EDIT:
    Durkon probably has higher wisdom than that, the number we've got listed is just an absolute minimum.

On the flip side, Sabine has class levels which would boost her will save higher than normal for a succubus. There are a few other variables that could change it, but nothing likely to take it out of the "difficult but doesn't need a natural 20" range. By the math, she's probably gone. By drama, it could go either way and it's really up to Rich's choice.
    hmm, let’s see. assuming Haley is level 15, and that the nemesis thing applies making Sabine have an ECL of 15: 6 level adjustment, 6 racial hit die (12 levels) so add 3 of rogue which gives a will save of +1. That gives us a +8 will bonus vs a DC of at the very least 24, potentially as high as 28 (if D is level 13). She would need a 16 to pass (with a massive pile of assumptions and the bare minimum for Durkon).
    Last edited by Felixc-91; 2012-07-26 at 06:52 PM.
    Impossible is a biased statement.
    "You are what you do. Choose again, and change." --Miles Vorkosigan

link to the thread translating Haley's babel speech
    this is a must read for all: Common misconceptions (i am in no way joking, please read it)

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Shouldn't Sabine also be banished (potentially) by the Holy Word?

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    ...that's what we've been discussing for the last half-dozen posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #1336

Z looks pretty unchanged. Spell resistance maybe.

17. - Top - End - #1337

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    Z looks pretty unchanged. Spell resistance maybe.
    Except he widens and then closes his eyes. So it looks like Durkon got past the dratted Spell Resistance that V never could. If Durkon didn't get past spell resistance then Z would just stand there unaffected.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Orc in the Playground

I think Z was about as affected as Nale, but since he never talks, he didn't open his mouth or grit his teeth. So he looks less affected, but I doubt he actually is.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    I'd be very surprised if she wasn't - that last echo looks very distorted - but we won't know for sure until next strip.

20. - Top - End - #1340

Minor nitpick - in the original post, under the "3E books used in the comic" heading, why list the Player's Handbook 1 and DMG 1 but not the Monster Manual 1?

Further, and I apologize if this has been covered before, but is there a reason that "Thor's Might" isn't listed as spell Durkon knows? Is there some concern it may be a domain power?
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2012-07-29 at 11:40 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1341

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    Further, and I apologize if this has been covered before, but is there a reason that "Thor's Might" isn't listed as spell Durkon knows? Is there some concern it may be a domain power?
    I think the general consensus is that it's probably just a renamed Righteous Might, and there's no point listing any core cleric spells because every cleric knows all of them automatically.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1342

I think the general consensus is that it's probably just a renamed Righteous Might, and there's no point listing any core cleric spells because every cleric knows all of them automatically.
    I see. That makes sense. Thank you.

23. - Top - End - #1343

Not exactly evidence, but I'd figure Tarquin wasn't affected because he was the only one not rotated in his mirror images. I guess we'll find out in the next strip.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

24. - Top - End - #1344

HalflingRangerGuy

If Elan used Inspire Heroics on Durkon would it boost his Holy Word? I find it hard to believe that Tarquin is only one level higher than Durkon.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ogre in the Playground

If you mean Inspire Greatness, then generally no. It would boost caster level only if he had something like Practiced Spellcaster with an unapplied overflow of at least two caster levels, which I think we can assume is very unlikely in this case.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felixc-91 View Post
    On the minutia side we now have solid evidence that neither Z nor Kilkil is good.
    That's a (wait for it) good point!

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    So we know it is Spot now. However, this does raise more questions about how Tarquin is composed since Spot is not a class skill for a fighter.
    I don't think it's established that he's a fighter, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    Minor nitpick - in the original post, under the "3E books used in the comic" heading, why list the Player's Handbook 1 and DMG 1 but not the Monster Manual 1?
    That's an interesting question, because The Giant often seems to use homebrew monsters. What monsters have appeared in the comic that are from the MM1? Off the top of my head, all goblins, sylphs, and hydras we've seen in OOTS so far are noticeably different from their MM1 counterparts.
    Now the book is probably still in use, but it's not as self-evident as the PHB1 and DMG1, so I'd like to see what in-comic evidence we have for this.

I think the general consensus is that it's probably just a renamed Righteous Might,
    (edit) I've added a note to reflect this.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2012-07-30 at 05:43 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

27. - Top - End - #1347

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    That's an interesting question, because The Giant often seems to use homebrew monsters. What monsters have appeared in the comic that are from the MM1? Off the top of my head, all goblins, sylphs, and hydras we've seen in OOTS so far are noticeably different from their MM1 counterparts.
    Now the book is probably still in use, but it's not as self-evident as the PHB1 and DMG1, so I'd like to see what in-comic evidence we have for this.
    Well, just off the top of my head, we've seen multiple dragons, zombies, wights, ghasts, ghouls, mummies, an owlbear, a lich, lizardfolk, hobgoblins, horses, orcs, bearded devils, a succubus, a drow, an imp, ogres, a riding dog, and a chimera. I'm sure there are more.

Now, I'm not saying some of these might not be homebrewed in some fashion, but if we're waiting for distinct confirmation that each monster is being played exactly by the rules given in it's specific book, then I think many of the books listed as being used in this comic probably fail to pass that test. If the standard is "appearance in the comic with no obvious deviation from the printed material", then I think a lot of these pass. However, maybe a note is in order saying that not all monsters which appear in the Monster Manual are accurately represented therein.

Also, Celia references it at least once.
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2012-07-30 at 07:07 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Colossus in the Playground

Indeed, "A slightly-to-somewhat house-ruled monster" is by no means the same thing as, "A homebrew monster."

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    That's a (wait for it) good point!
    Indeed it is. However I think I'll hold fast on adding it until we can get a complete tally of who is deaf/blind/paralyzed/dead/etc. Might as well do it all in one lump.
    - The Flying Kipper

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'm still hung up on why they went with a mundane smokestick which is more likely to be removed instead of, say, a Darkness spell tied to a rock or arrow or something. At least then, when Durkon moves in, he's better protected from complete blindness and TS, walk straight back into the wall to the others, or even stay there and cast a Dispel for the rest to come charging down after the Word.
    Created Characters

Janus
    Terrin
    Martel Darlesse

Always up for a game, solo or no, can make any character, but would love to know what I'm dealing with. Either way, excelsior to adventure!