New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Dreams

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Weird Dreams

Had an utterly absurd dream last night. Most of it wasn't particularly odd by my own twisted standards. The plot was Tekken meets Child's Play, which actually makes sense in that "my subconscious is clearly raving mad" way; I'd been playing Tekken 6 earlier that evening, and had just watched the Nostalgia Critic/Phelous review of Child's Play 3.

So it was logical enough from a "why am I dreaming of that" perspective. And hey, watching Chucky fight Nina Williams was amusing enough, though I wasn't sure who to root for. No, what bugs me is what happened after that.

Why oh why, at age 27, do I still dream that I'm late for class at high school?! And why was that the part of the dream that caused me to wake up in a panic? Killer dolls who inexplicably now know martial arts don't freak me out, but THIS does?

I graduated high school almost a decade ago, and was never late for class that I recall. I never dream about missing a class at college, because there nobody really cares. And I never dream about being late for work, even though getting fired should be a far more worrying prospect than detention. What is it about school nightmares that are so universal? The "I'm late, and there's a test, and I didn't study, and I'm in my underwear" dream is so common that it's practically a cliche.

Anyone else have any bizarre dreams that they'd like to share?
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Weird Dreams

If I might be so bold as to hazard a guess...

When we are at school, people are of an age when their minds are still being formed, so the stresses of school get stuck in there.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Why oh why, at age 27, do I still dream that I'm late for class at high school?! And why was that the part of the dream that caused me to wake up in a panic? Killer dolls who inexplicably now know martial arts don't freak me out, but THIS does?
    I'm nearly 10 years older than you and I still have the class-related dreams. I've found that, "What are you gonna do, fail me?" has been a particularly useful expression in these dreams.

I have dreams about conversations with people from my past who've been dead for more than 10 years. Which could be either afterlife visiting through dreams, or more likely my subconscious thinks it knew those people well enough that it can fake their half of the conversation. With all due credit to my subconscious, it's doing a bang-up job. It would also explain why I've never met any of my grandparents in my dreams.

I don't have night terrors, so I can't attest to how well it would work in that situation, but in my bad dreams, "I dare you" seems to get the dream to back off a little. If your subconscious really hates you, you might regret provoking it like that.

I've destroyed reality a couple of times in my dreams. Found the key's location, deciphered the secret, then implemented the doomsday. And you know what? It was pretty cool every time. I might mention that I was still around even after everything else in my reality got wiped out. Pretty cool, my own personal transcendence, and the others who'd done the same welcomed me as their equal.

I've had truly epic dreams that have spanned most of a lifetime, during the blank between when I fall asleep and when I wake up.

I do not keep a dream journal, because I'd get writer's cramp way before I got anywhere near capturing the dream, or even its high points. I remember the important ones in a lot of detail, and even the not so important ones I remember the main plot points. More importantly, when I dream, I am the master of my own destiny, truly free in ways that I can never be in waking life; I have done great things, done unspeakably evil things, done things which are not even physically possible in waking reality. I do NOT lucid dream, acknowledging that I am in a dream causes me to wake up instantly. I kind of envy lucid dreamers, but on the other hand it might seriously diminish my enjoyment of that time if I knew I was dreaming, in which case I'd never want to know I was lucid dreaming.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

My dream last night involved a bunch of teenagers invading my workplace and being more popular than me. Old fears.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I dreamed the new Steam thread had the title that receieved the highest number of votes, ie the one I suggested
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    I dreamed the new Steam thread had the title that receieved the highest number of votes, ie the one I suggested
    What a wonderful dream.

I have the ol' "In the pool without a suit" dream every now and again. Being in highschool, I figure I should keep my record of never being late to class (except gym one time, the burnout made me sign a petition in the locker room) growing.
    \A/ Why play fair when you can "Technically" play fair. \A/
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah say ah canno' jump, ya' jus' 'ave ta' toss meh!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Why oh why, at age 27, do I still dream that I'm late for class at high school?!

Anyone else have any bizarre dreams that they'd like to share?
    I'm 40 and I still have dreams where I am back in High School and I cannot remember my locker combination.

Something interesting about my dreams is that I no longer have nightmares. I'm never a victim. In all my dreams where I am being attacked I always turn out to be more powerful that anything else. My nightmares are more like action adventures.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
    I'm 40 and I still have dreams where I am back in High School and I cannot remember my locker combination.

Something interesting about my dreams is that I no longer have nightmares. I'm never a victim. In all my dreams where I am being attacked I always turn out to be more powerful that anything else. My nightmares are more like action adventures.
    Wow, I want dreams like yours.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

So, last night I dreamed I was friends with Hugh Hefner
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

I once had a dream where I was back in elementary school, and I started running around the campus until I took off flying.

And I have a recurring dream for over a decade, where I am in a garden full of soft chittering things in pastel colors, and I know something bad will happen, and then the chittering things develop corners and I get impaled on a massive iron spike that takes up all of my vision while dramatic music plays.

See, it's sort of hard to describe, because in the dream it's rather like having synethesia, and there is pretty much no way to describe how it actually felt like.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks, they are really is awesome!

I used to get nightmares just like anyone else. But about ten years ago or so I was talking with friends about dreams and it occured to me that I didn't recall the last time I had a nightmare.

Last night I had a dream that I forgot my Droid 1 phone in a public bathroom and it was gone when I went back to get it. That's about as bad as my dreams get. However, it ended with a friend of mine buying me the most sophisticated Droid phone currently avaliable on the market.

Oh, the horrors!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

My weird dreams are always nightmares. The strange part is, I NEVER wake up scared. I am always calm cool and collected, despite being chased by jason/raptors/zombies/mysterious black shadows. I run, dodge, duck and avoid constantly, never panicking, just always moving, generally in a loop. I wake up when I get annoyed at the fact that my dream just wont end and move onto something else. And I am always tired as hell when that happens because I wake up feeling like I ran a marathon. /sigh I never had the school dreams as such, (unless im being chased by jason through my school sub basement.) Pretty much all of my bad dreams involve being chased by something. Though I have gone on real life kedge keep raids in my dreams. (Its an underwater dungeon in a MMORPG called Everquest) Me and a bunch of other people diving into pools and fighting fish monsters and such. :p
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

I dreamed that I punched a little kid repeatedly in the head the other night. Didn't like doing it in the dream or awake, but couldn't seem to control my urges (to punch him in the head). Woke up wondering if I had some suppressed issues that needed working out.
    Many thanks to Ceika for my Avatar

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Riverdance View Post
    I dreamed that I punched a little kid repeatedly in the head the other night. Didn't like doing it in the dream or awake, but couldn't seem to control my urges (to punch him in the head). Woke up wondering if I had some suppressed issues that needed working out.
    Was that little kid a younger you? Or maybe you read that toddler fight club thing.
    Dioxazine purple.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I've noticed I haven't been remembering much my dreams lately. Which is a bit off, because I used to rememberer my dreams quite frequently. Heck, I remember dreams from when I was six, and it's been almost two decades since then.
    But what I do remember is that I personally haven't been a participant. Even when I have a first person view, it isn't me.
    I wonder if that 'means' something.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-08-27 at 02:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, so I had insomnia last night.

I did have a dream where I was in a mental institution the other night though...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    I once had a dream where I was back in elementary school, and I started running around the campus until I took off flying.
    I used to have re-occuring dreams like that when I was in elementary school. Odd thing was that flying usually worked as I started to yawn in the dream.

I don't have any dreams that I would classify as 'nightmares'. Never had that I can recall, and I remember just about every dream I have for a day or two afterwards (the important/interesting ones usually stick with me forever). Been that way since I was two years old. Figured out how to work the VCR and TV so I could watch Nightmare on Elm Street in the middle of the night.

Closest I come to nightmares is a 'this-dream-is-beginning-to-become-uncomfortable-so-lets-wake-up-and-start-a-new-one'. Then I wake up, turn over to a different side and close my eyes, asleep in a matter of moments.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Last night I dreamed that I got shot by gangers. One of whom was in a wheelchair and tried to shoot me with the handgun he kept stashed on his left ankle. I pulled his foot around to block the shot, and he shot himself in the foot. His buddies laughed, and then he shot me and hit.

I'd just walked out of a superstore in a generic US urban "bad part of town", and then someone yelled, "You a dead man, Joe Poole!" and shot generally in my direction. Running like my life depended on it, I ended up in a hallway in a shabby building, and the gangers come rolling in. Well, four guys crowded around the wheelchair ganger push that guy in.

"We go you now, Joe Poole!" I say they got the wrong guy, hell I'll show you legal identification, here look at my driver's license!

Wheelie pulls a pained/confused face, then bursts out laughing and mockingly says, "Legal identification! " Laughs a bit and scoffs, "Hear dat fellahs? Driver's license! No one's gonna save you now, Joe Poole."

I'm telling you, you got the wrong guy! Ganger points out the dirty window to a poster on a brick wall across the street, with "Joe Poole" writ large and a picture of Pitbull. Then the shooting commences.

Last thing I think before I wake up is, "but I look nothing like Pitbull. If I ever find Joe Poole, I'm gonna kill him myself." One of the more, er, interesting dreams I've had.
    Dioxazine purple.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

For the last couple of years I've had the power of Telekinesis in the majority of my dreams - otherwise the content differs, but I can almost always move things with my mind (often to the amazement of people around me), though it always seems like the most natural thing in the world.

This feature could probably be psycho-analyzed somehow, but I always put it down to the fact that I'm really lazy in waking life

I also dream about my old school often, though it's almost always about fear of falling down the stairs there. Which is totally weird, because I was never afraid of the stairs when I went there, but I guess it is because I've developed a stronger fear of heights later in life.

Coolest dream I ever had was when I was about 7 or 8 years old. The night before I had this dream, I had a very nice dream about sailing in beautiful white sailboats across a sky-blue lake (ah, the innocence of youth...). Next night I really wanted to have that dream again, so I tried to think about it just before I went to sleep.

Instead of that dream, I found myself in what resembled a video-rental store - except instead of videos it contained all my dreams. Both dreams I remembered from previously, dreams from my "future" and a full section devoted to nightmares. I proceeded to locate the "tape" with a picture of a white boat on a blue lake - and then I got the dream from last night. It was amazing! I have sadly never managed to locate the Archive of Dreams again
    Last edited by Corlindale; 2012-08-29 at 10:58 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Weird dream I had last night:

[disclaimer]I have NO IDEA what caused this[/disclaimer]

Dream: You are viewing a scene in a dim forest. Lafeyette (ie, from True Blood) enters from the right, all glamered up and looking fine.

Me: What the HELL is going on here!?

Dream: Lightning flashes in the distance and thunder rolls across the forest. An almost visible shockwave rips through the air, leaves twisting in spiralling patterns to the forest floor. Lafeyette spins around gracefully and turns his vision north.

Me: ..... OK!? ....

Dream: Thor, in all his glory, impacts the ground a few yards from where Lafeyette stands, looking oh-so-awesome is his Norse God armor, in the epic pose of kneeing with one hand grasping the upturned Hammer.

Me: ... What the HELL!?

Dream: Lafeyette pivots his hip and points at Thor, "Hooker! Whatchu call me out for in the middle of the woods!" Thor stands and holds out the Hammer to Lafeyette and speak, "Hark, the world needs you!"

Me: *pulls out popcorn*

Dream: Epic-ness ensues...
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2012-08-30 at 06:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The most bizarre dream I've had recently? Haven't had too many actual dreams, so it is easily the dream where I killed myself with a boxcutter. I blame the fact I had to use boxcutters for a job I was performing.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a dream last night where me and someone I know in real life were walking to school in a road I have never been to or seen before. A "demon" then appears, a British policeman then walks past, draws a a pistol, walks past the "demon" separated by a waist high fence, shoots the "demon" in the head with a pistol and carrys on.
    All he says is don't touch it.

The "demon" looks rather odd. It looks the slenderman, only without any clothes and its skin is a shade of green. The only feature on its face is a mouth that has very large triangular teeth like in this picture.

Spoiler
    Show

I then shoot lightning out of my hands at the "demon". It turns black for a few seconds then back to green. Apparently me and my friend are channelers like in Wheel of Time.
    The demon then lopes across the front of someones lawn towards my friend. He jumps over the fence and it runs around the fence out the front and then chases after us.

After that we run away for about 2 minutes and we stop. We turn around and it is running towards us at 30 MPH.

I have weird dreams.
    Last edited by Hazzardevil; 2012-09-01 at 04:42 PM.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, I had a weird one this morning.

So, there's this really cool underground cafe in my town, and I was dreaming that I decided it as so cool that I went back in time to try and create the cafe in the first place. So I did, and then I was busily working away at making the cafe's location clean again, which I was doing with the assistance of a dude who was like a combination of two people in my old school. Then it turned out he had no idea what the Monkey Island games were, so I educated him on that while we were sweeping the floor/looking at clothing from the shop next door to the underground-cafe-in-the-future.

Also, it's probably the most lucid dream I've had in a while, as I still remember all of the details, and all the tiny little actions I did. It hasn't faded in the slightest, which is interesting.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Last night, I had a rather odd dream...

It started off at my Grandma's old house. Except... It was a mansion for some reason, but still similarish to her house. And we were having a family gathering with food. And I mean, all my family, Mum's side and Dad's side. Even my Grandma, who died last year...

Anyway, dead people who I miss aside, for some reason, the Queen visited, twice. And one time I had to help her up the stairs.
    Also, there were these tourists who kept coming into the garden of my Grandma's house/mansion because for some reason the council had decided that because we were next to a park for some reason, that that part of the garden would make a good picnic area or something. Maybe it was information kiosk...
    Anyway, so I kept shooing tourists away who all seemed to be in insurance and we wearing matching light coloured suits and hats for some reason (the kind worn by barbershop quartets). And they kept coming back.
    And in the end, Tony Abbot was there, so I asked him to do something about.

And then I woke up.
    I can't help wondering that if I dreamt for longer, I'd have met more famous people.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

@Hazzardevil:
    Resize your image or put spoiler tags. Thanks.
    Dioxazine purple.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I don't dream. Except when I do. There's a reason for that:

- I dream in black and white. Worlds look distorted and unreal, and I recognize it as a dream almost immediately.

- However, the unrealism of the worlds my mind creates while I sleep are captivating enough to make me want to explore them. Think of it as a really cleverly designed DnD dungeon, except the structures are organic, and the majority of the denizens are hostile and extremely violent (has anyone played Dark Seed? It's like that).

- I have night terrors. I actually mentally avoid dreaming as a result.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    I don't dream. Except when I do. There's a reason for that:

- I dream in black and white. Worlds look distorted and unreal, and I recognize it as a dream almost immediately.

- However, the unrealism of the worlds my mind creates while I sleep are captivating enough to make me want to explore them. Think of it as a really cleverly designed DnD dungeon, except the structures are organic, and the majority of the denizens are hostile and extremely violent (has anyone played Dark Seed? It's like that).

- I have night terrors. I actually mentally avoid dreaming as a result.
    How do you mentally avoid dreaming?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    I guess I just realized that I hated waking up in a panic, and gradually stopped dreaming. Sometimes I do dream, and I'll wake up all sweaty and distressed, but I won't be able to recall the dream.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    IMHO, its not very uncommon. I believe its either related to or part of lucid dreaming. I am an avid lucid dreamer and, on occasion, I have simply 'shut off' my dreams for the night.

Just like anyone can have moments of lucidity in their dreams, but not lasting control over the course of many nights, I am sure that some people can simply pick up the 'trick' of turning their dreams off (for the most part) by accident or necessity.

Whether or not I was dreaming during this period, I can't say with any sort of certainty. What I can say with certainty is, I don't remember dreaming at all, just a calm 'grey-ness', when I awaken. I normally have total recall of my dreams.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

"Forgotten scenes, and lands more obscure than the golden world of childhood, spring into the sleeping mind to reign until awakening puts them to rout. Amid these may be attained something of the glory and contentment for which we yearn; some image of sharp beauties suspected but not before revealed, which are to us as the Grail to holy spirits of the medieval world. To shape these things on the wheel of art, to seek to bring some faded trophy from that intangible realm of shadow and gossamer, requires equal skill and memory. For although dreams are in all of us, few hands may grasp their moth-wings without tearing them." - R.H. Barlow, The Night Ocean.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.