New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

So. Question about the ending.

Spoiler
    Show

Mengsk: You are my greatest failure.
    Um. Yeah, anyone else here curious about that? Was Kerrigan a project all along? Was Kerrigan's abandonment on Tarsonis a calculated move? How did he plan on using her exactly? The Xel'Naga relic in his office? Order the Zerg to do stuff/not do stuff or zappy torture?
    But then, when she actually makes it to him, he gets pissed and tries to finally kill her?

Something really doesn't add up here.

I've always wondered if Mengsk and Valerian are perhaps not human, or are agents for a higher power somewhere up the chain. I doubt that's the case, Mengsk is a douche and all but if he was a pawn of something else it would greatly weaken his character.

Any thoughts?

If the spoiler tags are unnnecessary at this point, feel free to reply without them.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

2. - Top - End - #872
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show

I don't think it's anything as complex as that. He's just talking about the fact that she was 'his', Sarah Kerrigan the Ghost. He sacrificed her on Tarsonis, and it all game back to eventually bite him in the ass (and explode his face apparently). But his ego is too big to allow the possibility that he made a mistake, so instead it's Kerrigan who failed Mengsk by becoming his mortal enemy, rather than the other way round.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    So. Question about the ending.

Spoiler
    Show

Mengsk: You are my greatest failure.
    Um. Yeah, anyone else here curious about that? Was Kerrigan a project all along? Was Kerrigan's abandonment on Tarsonis a calculated move? How did he plan on using her exactly? The Xel'Naga relic in his office? Order the Zerg to do stuff/not do stuff or zappy torture?
    But then, when she actually makes it to him, he gets pissed and tries to finally kill her?

Something really doesn't add up here.

I've always wondered if Mengsk and Valerian are perhaps not human, or are agents for a higher power somewhere up the chain. I doubt that's the case, Mengsk is a douche and all but if he was a pawn of something else it would greatly weaken his character.

Any thoughts?

If the spoiler tags are unnnecessary at this point, feel free to reply without them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't think it's anything as complex as that. He's just talking about the fact that she was 'his', Sarah Kerrigan the Ghost. He sacrificed her on Tarsonis, and it all game back to eventually bite him in the ass (and explode his face apparently). But his ego is too big to allow the possibility that he made a mistake, so instead it's Kerrigan who failed Mengsk by becoming his mortal enemy, rather than the other way round.
    This. Give me a minute and I'll look up how to change the settings for you guys.

Edit: Alright found it. Both are under the "Gameplay" tab in settings. Glyph, you want to uncheck "Enable Simple Command Card". Kyeudo, you want to check "Enable Enemy Unit Selection".

Does this help?
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2013-03-27 at 11:47 AM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

4. - Top - End - #874
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    I have only one reason why I paid for this expansion, and it was worth every penny...

Spoiler
    Show
    That final scene. That was a beatdown that has been over a decade in the coming. And soooo very worth it.

As far as the discredit mengsk missions in WoL? Pave the way for Valarian. Who might end up being a smoother but ultimately more dangerous bastard than daddy dearest.

Then again... does he *really* want to actively piss Kerrigan off right now? I mean... the swarm is off going after the Xel-Naga dude. I wouldn't be rocking that boat right now...

True, but he is young. He can afford to take the long view. "Hmm, kerrigan and the protoss weakened themselves greatly taking down the big boss. Time for the Dominion to shine" I AM fully expecting an eventual doublecross. Its just a matter of when and what form it will take. Something like finding out that all this time dr nurad has been working for valarien not arcturus. So when they least suspect it, BAM! Kerrigan and zeratul get attacked from behind by a fleet of hybrid packed battlecruisers tearing through them from behind. A mentally dominated valerian is laughing at them over the com and they have to escape while their forces get demolished. Probably wont happen that way, but it WOULD be one hell of a twist.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

Finished heart of the swarm a few days ago, not sure if I’ll go back to check out the multilayer or play again on hard mode or not, might go back to look through my achievements though.

Biggest criticisms/thoughts.

Spoiler
    Show

Other then that one point in the beginning where you had to choose between unleashing the zerg or a toxic gas on a large group of humans, there were seemingly no "choose your path" moments other then the different zerg mutations, which were pretty awesome in of themselves.

I loved the mission with the parasitic implantation that grew into a queen on the Protoss ship, rather disappointed we never came back to her, i would have liked to see where that line was going. I have since headcanoned that since she destroyed the engines, the ship is just going to drift through space with the Zerg on-board creating their own little micro-ecosystem in it with whatever they have, perhaps eventually creating an organic engine to power the ship and move them towards Protoss space a little faster as they continuously adapt and change based on the trials and difficulties of living in a bubble-ecosystem.

Primal Zerg were awesome, wish we had seen more of them. Little sad that they were all so intelligent and could talk, as i liked the idea of Primal Zerg, I.E. Wild and feral beasts that you had to hunt down and capture, but i supposed generations of eating things and adding their attributes to your own would also include intelligence, so eventually sentience was a given.

My favourite zerg-unit mutations were probably the three-zerglings-per-egg one, the Roachling one, and the reincarnating Ultralisk one. Similarly but not the same, i also enjoyed Kerrigan's abilities to passively make all worker eggs spawn two workers at once and re-birth all dead zerglings in groups of fifteen from the primary hive. Really gives that "Endless swarm" feeling.

... Can't think of anything else ATM :P
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #876

As for the evolving queen on a protoss ship, I am pretty sure that
    Spoiler
    Show
    she will play a part in the protoss expansion. She seemed pretty determined to wipe out all protoss as her queen last ordered her.

I do agree about the lack of choices. You know what was the greatest moment that got ruined for me? The mission where you have to activate scourge nests to take down the super battlecruiser. It really seemed like a choice you had made last expansion might have long term effects. But aside from a slight verbal blurb it made no difference. They really should have included an aerial mission there if in WoL you had destroyed the tunnels and left the air platform.

Meh, ah well. Much like how the choice to help out ariel had no real ramifications other than a different cinematic it seems your choices tend to mean little in the long run storyline wise.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I do agree about the lack of choices. You know what was the greatest moment that got ruined for me? The mission where you have to activate scourge nests to take down the super battlecruiser. It really seemed like a choice you had made last expansion might have long term effects. But aside from a slight verbal blurb it made no difference. They really should have included an aerial mission there if in WoL you had destroyed the tunnels and left the air platform.

Meh, ah well. Much like how the choice to help out ariel had no real ramifications other than a different cinematic it seems your choices tend to mean little in the long run storyline wise.
    Yea, I was disappointed by this as well. For example
    Spoiler
    Show
    Siding with Nova instead of Tosh in WoL should've at least given a different verbal blurb when she catches him in the second (third?) mission. You know "Sorry, Jim. I'd have just looked the other way, but I have my orders" rather than "If you had sided with me instead of Tosh..."

Also, if you picked Haven's Fall over Safe Haven, there could have been a different mission somewhere, using the infested from Haven to accomplish a mission.

Then a platform-hopping mission instead of the tunnel run for the choice of knocking out air or tunnels.

Maybe a couple of 'choice' missions on your own. Like 'infest a colony or destroy the dominion base nearby', the former giving you a new unit, the latter giving you more xp and maybe an easier next mission or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

As for the evolving queen on a protoss ship, I am pretty sure that
    Spoiler
    Show
    she will play a part in the protoss expansion. She seemed pretty determined to wipe out all protoss as her queen last ordered her.

I will admit i did like the return of the Scourge, even if they were only for one mission and you couldn't control them. I always thought of them as the Zerglings of hte sky, though i guess in SC2 they're more like the banelings of the sky.

Always thought it would be awsome to be able to infest a Protoss carrier and just have it replace it's fighters with an endless supply of Scourge

And of course the Lurker makes a comeback, though i didn't pick it myself.

one thing i did like, even though it didn't have any impact...

Spoiler
    Show

Was that Matthew told Kerrigan that Tosh had volenteered to break into the prison ship to get James out, and behind him you could see Tosh looking out the window into space. Sad to say he's vanished in the next scene. Would have liked to at least see/hear him say something after all that effort i put into helping him out.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #879
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I guess Blizzard's storytelling leans more towards the KOTOR style than the Mass Effect style, to put it in Bioware terms. There are branching choices in-game, but certain options are 'canon' in terms of future games, rather than letting your previous saves influence your current game.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

In my opinion the best part of the game, the genius, really, is the two completely separate balancing acts for the campaign and the multiplayer. I really enjoy being able to play with very different units, and very different mechanics, without having the multiplayer experience changed.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLyRaiNbow View Post
    In my opinion the best part of the game, the genius, really, is the two completely separate balancing acts for the campaign and the multiplayer. I really enjoy being able to play with very different units, and very different mechanics, without having the multiplayer experience changed.
    Makes it really rough on the newbies who think that because they beat the campaign on Normal, that they will be at least able to compete on Multiplayer, though...

I mean, at least on most games, the campaign and skirmish/multiplayer at least use the same unit rules. WoL was different, but not -too- different. But this? Banelings not having friendly-fire issues? No needing larvae injects for massive larvae supply? It's practically a different game. And the newbies are gonna get a brutally harsh wakeup call if they just jump into the ladder...
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

What's the multiplayer like? I'm likely not going to try it, i'm notoriously bad at multiplayer and tend to get everyone pissed at me. If i had my two-drones and three-swarmlings maybe, but otherwise unlikely.

Something i just noticed, there's no upgrades or evolution mission of any kind for the Abombinaition, wich is a shame really, those things are boss. and i mean like poor-man's-Ultralisk boss. Would have loved to see an upgrade that gave them a health regeneraition or a baneling-esq explosion/burst into some banelings when they die or something.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    What's the multiplayer like? I'm likely not going to try it, i'm notoriously bad at multiplayer and tend to get everyone pissed at me. If i had my two-drones and three-swarmlings maybe, but otherwise unlikely.
    It requires MUCH more macro and micro control. To get more than three larvae, your queen needs to Inject (which costs mana, so does putting down creep tumors) the hatchery. Which has a timer. Missing an inject can hurt.

Half of the units in the campaign don't exist. Likewise, some new units, like Corruptors (which I sorely missed in the campaign).

Some of the mutations are available as upgrades, which requires minerals and gas. For example, Metabolic Boost is purchased from the Spawning Pool. Same thing with the Adrenal Glands. Yes, you can have 'cracklings' with both speed and attack speed upgrades, but by that time, your opponents will have hard counters to lings. Colossi, siege tanks and hellbats...

Also, a lot of crutches exist for campaign mode that don't exist. You mentioned dual-drones, triple-lings, and regenerating lings. Personally, I like leaper lings more than triple-lings with regenerating lings for the campaign, but... none of that exists. At all. And relying on them is going to hurt you.

You'll need to guard against bunker and cannon rushes. Learning how to deal with those will take you out of bronze, and maybe even silver. Then just work on your macro and micro skills until your fingers cramp and your eyes bleed.

Something i just noticed, there's no upgrades or evolution mission of any kind for the Abombinaition, wich is a shame really, those things are boss. and i mean like poor-man's-Ultralisk boss. Would have loved to see an upgrade that gave them a health regeneraition or a baneling-esq explosion/burst into some banelings when they die or something.
    The abomination was a campaign enemy in WoL which stank, I don't like using them at all, and I'm not surprised there isn't anything to evolve them with. As Abathor called them... crude. I'd much rather have Roaches, particularly vile-roaches. Roach/Hydra is a pretty good escort for Kerrigan to just walk in and roflstomp any single area.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2013-03-27 at 08:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah in that case i don't think i'll be doing a whole lot of multiplayer, i have a tendancy to just stay in my own little base until i have enough units to bullrush the enemy, and everyone else seems to have this magic that gets them like, ten new worker units in the same time period it takes me to save up enough to get three without buying anything else.

Once or twice i did nothing but copy what somebody else was doing exactly and i was still yelled at and way behind everybody else somehow.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah in that case i don't think i'll be doing a whole lot of multiplayer, i have a tendancy to just stay in my own little base until i have enough units to bullrush the enemy, and everyone else seems to have this magic that gets them like, ten new worker units in the same time period it takes me to save up enough to get three without buying anything else.

Once or twice i did nothing but copy what somebody else was doing exactly and i was still yelled at and way behind everybody else somehow.
    They are called 'Build Orders'. They're great for helping new players learn how to work the early game and get themselves established.

Also, particularly with Zerg, expand or die most of the time. Most maps have a 'natural' expansion. I've seen some zerg build orders drop a second hatch in the natural even before the spawning pool. (10 hatch or 12 hatch).

Find a decent build order. Practice it. The only thing that really matters is hitting your numbers and doing everything as fast as you can. Play against the easiest AI difficulty. When you get to the end of your build order, quit. Note your time. Now try to beat it the next time. See how fast you can make it.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

I never did mention my own choices in the campaign.

Spoiler
    Show
    Zerglings:
    Metabolic Boost - But I am going hard mode now and I decided to change to adrenal glands. All Metabolic Boost really did was make the lings dash miles ahead of the rest of the army anyway.

Swarmlings - I can't get enough of these guys. They show up fast, in increased numbers per egg. Perfect for conversion into banelings which is my prefered tactic to deal with anything in the campaign, not gona lie.

The mission vs Zagara spoiled me. I just love sending hordes of banelings at everything. In fact, I can't live without Kerrigan's baneling summoning power. It is just too great.

Banelings:
    Increased blast radius - kill all the things. In this new hard difficulty playthrough, I am testing the increased single target damage.

Hunters - close those gaps asap.

Roach:
    Tunneling Claws - questionable relevance because I quite frankly didn't use roaches that much.

Vile Roaches - I did use them in the hybrid hunting mission, however. Also used a few in the last mission.

Hydralisks:
    Range increase - like roaches, I didn't use them much. Did use them in the hybrid hunting mission. A few in the last mission too.

Lurkers - I... I made one in the hybrid hunting mission. Didn't really use them at all otherwise.

Mutalisks: I made a lot of use of them. Not as much as I could because LING BLING HOOOOO.
    Regeneration - My tendency to a-move the mutas would have made the bonus jumps better, in retrospect.

Brood Lords - I used them vs Narud to destroy his Tal'darim ally bases. It was pretty fun. But I was always so gas starved.

Swarm Hosts: Never really used them much because... They feel akward. Even in their debut mission I went with lings and mutas.
    I started with Burrow but then changed it to flying attack. Never made much use of either.

Creepers - I think I made a few of them at the end of the penultimate mission. That is it.

Ultralisks: I made them. I made plenty of them.
    Healing attacks - Tankyness.

Noxious - Murderlisks. They murderlisked the Odin.

As for infestors and abominations... Infestors were cool, but I used them little. Abominations were not cool and I never really made any noticeable use of them. Their debut mission was overtaken by ling bling harder than the swarm hosts were.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

I went with the reincarnating Ultras. Made it feel like i was actually getting my money's worth. Had i microed a bit better i could probly make sure i never lost a single Ult and they always had time for the ability to cooldown then they would have been unstoppable.

Saaadly there was very little use for them afterwords since they were introduced so late into the game :/
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

If anyone wants to start multiplayer, I would be willing to help them understand some of the mechanics. The ladder matchmaking is really good in determining your skill level, meaning it will pit them against others your level. In addition, you mostly play 1v1, meaning you don't have teammates rage at you.

I would be willing because I haven't played in a long time and I'm really rusty in both macro and micro, in addition to learning new build orders in HOTS.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I finally got myself placed. Looks like I'm going to be starting out in platinum. Not a bad place, especially since my diamond game was slipping from long breaks (stupid Minecraft addiction).

Anyway, my first game after getting placed and I decided to do something I don't normally do. I cheesed. Hit the guy with Swarm Host/Queen on one base. He didn't know what to make of it.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

Practice a build order. Learn how to deal with an all-in rush strat that might affect your build order. That'll probably get you up into Gold. Particularly the latter.

Remember, with an all-in rush strat, your opponent is going to be crippled if you stave off his initial investment, so you (should) have an enormous macro advantage on him.

For example, the cannon rush build. Classic piece of Toss cheese. Drop a pylon close by, drop a cannon within range of his mineral line and HQ building. Maybe two. Proceed to win.

How to counter:

First off, you should be scouting. If his probe hasn't hit your base by the time you hit 8 supply, expect cheese. If you scout him and he has a forge but no gate, his probe is already on its way into your base to drop a pylon. If you see his probe dropping a pylon anywhere other than his base or natural, it's either a Proxy Pylon gambit or it's a cannon rush.

So, how to beat it? Well, if you catch it soon enough, three or four workers are enough to nail it. Ideally, you catch him dropping the pylon, not the cannon. He's going to be microing the hell out of his probe to try and get it down and not get killed. Dodging around to let his shielding regen.

Don't get caught in the micro trap. Keep your build order going. Keep your resource gatherers pumping out on time. Drop your combat production building on time. But don't let him get that pylon either. Remember, every second he spends microing that probe is a second he's not focusing on his own base. In Diamond-level play, that doesn't mean much, but in bronze-gold and sometimes even plat, you'd be surprised how much he lets his resource gathering slip. Once you have your combatant-producing building, he's officially boned. Take out probe, proceed to base. He'll probably pull probes off of mineral line to stave off.

Which is why you were continuing to build combatants back at your base. You don't need your natural for this one. If you're Zerg, build up lings. If you're terran, build up rines. If you can afford it, drop a reactor on your rax. If you're toss yourself, proxy-pylon the hell out of him.

He might stave off the first wave, but probably not the second, and definitely not the third. He'll be trying to get a Gate down. Stopping that from happening means GG. Even if it happens, he's so far down the mineral hole from lack of probes on line and all those pylons and cannons he was trying to drop that he didn't manage to cancel in time that you've got a massive advantage on him.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Well, I finally got myself placed. Looks like I'm going to be starting out in platinum. Not a bad place, especially since my diamond game was slipping from long breaks (stupid Minecraft addiction).

Anyway, my first game after getting placed and I decided to do something I don't normally do. I cheesed. Hit the guy with Swarm Host/Queen on one base. He didn't know what to make of it.
    That was amusing. I was trying hard not to after watching Day 9, but dammit, now I have to try that.

BTW, did my posting help with your problem?

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    I felt like the campaign was a little short, like there needed a little more character development for several characters.

Also, I did not like Isha or whatever the snake chick was called. She was useless and annoying. Give me more conversations with Abathur. He was awesome.

Which brings me to another thing that I didn't like. There weren't any cool units that were campaign-only like there was for Wings of Liberty. Heck, there were fewer units than in multi-player, since they never let you have Corrupters and they made Brood Lords and Vipers a mutually exclusive choice.

Also, I felt like there wasn't enough mutation options. You just got to pick one of three for each unit and never got another one to allocate. I wanted Adrenal Glands and Metabolic Boost, like normal multiplayer. Is that too much to ask? Why not do what Wings of Liberty did and let me spread my mutations around whatever way I like? Maybe let me just leave the roach and the swarm host the way it is and use the spare points to buff my favorite units.

Then there was the lack of choices during the campaign. In Wings of Liberty, I could usually pick one of three different missions and a couple of the missions you could choose two different versions. The choices were meaningful. This time around you are lucky if you get two choices instead of only one.

Now, don't get me wrong, the game was wonderful. It just wasn't as well done as Wings of Liberty and that says something coming from a Zerg player.
    I thought both campaigns were too short and linear. There weren't enough missions to play around with the choices you made. Basically every mission unlocks a unit, and for that mission, you just have to make that unit to win. I suppose I could go back and try playing through on brutal, but I found that brutal in WoL was just tedious, and I don't have the patience for that.

The picking evolutions and stuff was pretty neat, but it ultimately didn't really matter. It'd be much cooler if different maps needed different stuff. I just feel like all the evolution decisions I made could have been totally random and queens + whatever unit the map gave you deathball = win.

True, but he is young. He can afford to take the long view. "Hmm, kerrigan and the protoss weakened themselves greatly taking down the big boss. Time for the Dominion to shine" I AM fully expecting an eventual doublecross. Its just a matter of when and what form it will take. Something like finding out that all this time dr nurad has been working for valarien not arcturus. So when they least suspect it, BAM! Kerrigan and zeratul get attacked from behind by a fleet of hybrid packed battlecruisers tearing through them from behind. A mentally dominated valerian is laughing at them over the com and they have to escape while their forces get demolished. Probably wont happen that way, but it WOULD be one hell of a twist.
    SC1 & BW had great "twists". Since then, Blizzard stories are just stupidly full of backstabbing and infighting. It's a little tiresome. Warcraft 3 & the expansion was basically 4 campaigns of backstabbing. Diablo 1 was pretty neat. Diablo 2 & 3 was... meh. Any team players in the Starcraft universe get killed and then replaced by a clone. Duke was such a badass, Kerrigan killed him (that bitch), then they replaced him with General Warfield. Who they killed and replaced again with... Stukov? Not really sure. I fully expect Stukov to get killed off in expansion 3.

Sometimes I'd just like to play some Last Alliance type stuff, not freakin' elves and men fight bitterly under the influence of Morgoth.

I think it's cause the abomination was some piece of junk unit the rogue queen made and Abathur wanted nothing to do with it.

Makes it really rough on the newbies who think that because they beat the campaign on Normal, that they will be at least able to compete on Multiplayer, though...

I mean, at least on most games, the campaign and skirmish/multiplayer at least use the same unit rules. WoL was different, but not -too- different. But this? Banelings not having friendly-fire issues? No needing larvae injects for massive larvae supply? It's practically a different game. And the newbies are gonna get a brutally harsh wakeup call if they just jump into the ladder...
    When did banelings have friendly fire issues?
    I can do a thousand now.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddles View Post
    When did banelings have friendly fire issues?
    There have been people stating that in MP, Banelings hurt your own units as well unless evolved for healing.

In SP, they do not.

I have not tried them in MP, so I don't know personally.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    There have been people stating that in MP, Banelings hurt your own units as well unless evolved for healing.

In SP, they do not.

There is no 'evolved for healing'. Basically, banelings do splash damage that hurts everything around them. Which is why you don't cluster them up, because they can start blowing each other up in a chain reaction.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ettin in the Playground

Not really. Banelings have never done friendly fire.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

26. - Top - End - #896

There is no 'evolved for healing'. Basically, banelings do splash damage that hurts everything around them. Which is why you don't cluster them up, because they can start blowing each other up in a chain reaction.
    But they have so few hp, if you send them in a line with gaps between them, how the hell do they NOT get slaughtered before they can hit anything? I mean, banelings are basically exploded zerglings. Fragile units that need to be sent in a large crowd or they will be cut down before they can reach the base and cause significant havoc.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post

In SP, they do not.

When was this established? In WoL multiplayer, your banelings would not hurt friendly units when they blew.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Titan in the Playground

But they have so few hp, if you send them in a line with gaps between them, how the hell do they NOT get slaughtered before they can hit anything? I mean, banelings are basically exploded zerglings. Fragile units that need to be sent in a large crowd or they will be cut down before they can reach the base and cause significant havoc.
    Zerglings. They will draw agro while the banes get close. Unless your opponent has god-like micro (Unlikely at most skill levels) then you shouldn't have a problem.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    When was this established? In WoL multiplayer, your banelings would not hurt friendly units when they blew.
    Seriously? When did that happen. Because it seemed like Banelings caused friendly fire ever since Beta WoL.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

Seriously? When did that happen. Because it seemed like Banelings caused friendly fire ever since Beta WoL.
    I can guarantee you that this is false from multiple experiences. I would sometimes when really bored and winning greatly, make a bunch of banelings and storm a base. After the base was wiped off the map, the remaining banelings didn't have any damage on them. It takes 2 banelings to destroy another baneling, so if they did do splash damage, chances are that half of the banelings would have had damage on them.

Also, when doing Co-op with a few friends who weren't very experienced with the game, they gave me control of their units. I was bringing in banelings and they panicked and started having their zerglings run. I forced the zerglings to stay in the middle of the fight and green acid exploded everywhere. In the aftermath, only their lings remained.