New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

I won most of my missions with a stupidly large muta ball and fast-healing mutas. Roach/hydra ball+Kerrigan works too.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Firbolg in the Playground

IMO-You gain Infestors WAAAAAY too late in the campaign for them to truly be of amazing use. Vipers even come a bit too late, but if you make use of them they are incredible.

Kerrigan Ball + Air Ball and you're good.
    Kerrigan Ball consisting of Lings, Roaches, Hydras, maybe the odd Abomination/Ultralisk for some extra meaty hit points. Follow with 4+ Queens set to follow Kerrigan. Set Kerrigan as rally point.

Any time you lose the bulk of your Kerrigan Ball, build 2 more Queens and then replen your ball. I usually hold on 9-12 Roaches and 9-12 Hydras with about double that number in Lings.

Air Ball? Mutalisk. Endless tides of Mutalisks. Spend all your gas on upgrades and Mutalisks
    Last edited by Karoht; 2013-08-06 at 11:10 AM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Titan in the Playground

Yea, Roach/Hydra ball around Kerrigan is pretty much 'roflstomp mode'. Vile Roaches make even more interesting. Maybe throw in a couple of Ultras or a vanguard of 'lings.

Normally, I go for piercer Hydras, and never bother making any. This time around, I went for Lurkers, and never bothered making any.

Never figured on doing a muta-ball, but I can see that being effective as well.

Never bothered with Vipers. There's never any situation where pulling opponents out of position is really all that useful. Broodlords are at least good at bombarding targets, even if it would be simpler to just bring in Kerrigan + hydra/roaches.

Ultralisks come late in the game, and their upgrade comes even later, making them less than useful. Which is a pity. If anything I wish for Blizzard to learn, it is this: Give me a few end-game missions where I get all the toys to play with, not just one.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Troll in the Playground

Totally agreed, Shneekey.

I once had the idea of making the ultimate swarm-swarm, with Kerrigan's broodling-spawning ability, her ability to recall lost zerglings, the swarm-'lings, and the corpser-strain roaches.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Yea, Roach/Hydra ball around Kerrigan is pretty much 'roflstomp mode'. Vile Roaches make even more interesting. Maybe throw in a couple of Ultras or a vanguard of 'lings.

Normally, I go for piercer Hydras, and never bother making any. This time around, I went for Lurkers, and never bothered making any.

Never bothered with Vipers. There's never any situation where pulling opponents out of position is really all that useful. Broodlords are at least good at bombarding targets, even if it would be simpler to just bring in Kerrigan + hydra/roaches.

Ultralisks come late in the game, and their upgrade comes even later, making them less than useful. Which is a pity. If anything I wish for Blizzard to learn, it is this: Give me a few end-game missions where I get all the toys to play with, not just one.
    What I used broodlords for, was since there was little air to air enemies in missions, was to make about 8-9 of them, send them off in the direction of one of the objectives, forget about them, and then go back once I noticed that all the enemies in that area were dead.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Teleporting swarm hosts with locusts that shoot up defeated everything. Once you had a big ball of those, you could be everywhere on the map at the same time.
    I can do a thousand now.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post

How I did it was I swarmed the enemy with Roachlings, and a later Locusts. I also used lots of Hydras, Mutas, and Queens (medics that can attack ground and air and spawn separately from your larvae? Yes please) for dealing with air, on top of picking the Swarm Host upgrade that lets Locusts attack air (not be air, attack air). I found Swarm hosts to be a great unit for both assault and defense, since in assault enemies will just stand around until you attack them and will never try to find the hosts, and in defense, well, I picked the evolution that lets you burrow-teleport to anywhere with creep, so they could instantly switch from rollin' with my deathball to defending any of my bases.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2013-08-07 at 12:00 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

I never bothered with roachlings, I went with Vile roaches. With Chain + Spawn Broodling on Kerrigan, I didn't really need more disposable minions. Particularly not if I have 'ling reconstitution.

Also, you never got a single Detector unit in the entire campaign, except the spore crawlers. This is a sadly neglected mechanic in this game. I'd have loved Kerrigan vs Nova showdown, needing Overseers to keep tabs on everything, with Nova sniping them periodically to keep from being detected.... would've been entertaining.

Moreso when Nova admits her part in Raynor getting... inconvenienced.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

They couldn't come up with a single mission that takes advantage of nydus canals and IIRC you couldn't even build them. The worm bursting out of the ground and disgorging a flood of zerg is awesome, and they could have eliminated the build time without worrying about player vs. player balance and given us the worms from the ground version of all in. I thought that would have been really cool and it was dissapointing when it didn't get used.

It's in the opening cutscene for crying out loud, along with the Ultralisk you almost never get to use.

Also I felt like the campaign was about three missions too short. The evo missions were short and sweet, but mainly short. The zerg characters are also generally much less interesting than the humans (except Abbathor).

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Ettin in the Playground

I personally like to solve all the missions through copious use of banelings (with swarmling zerling upgrade, heh).

Also, swarmlings don't take 2 supply. They take 1.5 supply. I was kind of peeved that the third ling wasn't free, supply wise, but then I just shrugged and sent endless waves of lings and blings at Warfield. They died in troves, sure, but he lost, eventually.

And when it is all said and done, that is what zerg is about.
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-08-07 at 06:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I'd have liked to see a nydus network with different uses- like bursing out of the ground to attack capital ships, pulling buildings underground, or ambushing infantry forces.

Also, how sweet would it be if they just spawned waves of mutalisks.
    I can do a thousand now.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Troll in the Playground

Did you guys catch the WCS finals which ended like 10 minutes ago?

Real amazing games.

Semifinals were both really fun, and as for the finals...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bomber CRUSHED Jaedong 4-0.

Jaedong has been massacring everyone in the tournament with his "3 base infinite marine-mine" build, which does exactly what it says on the tin: 3 CCs, then at some point he begins building 14 marines at a time, plus mines and a few medivacs, and he denies your expos and just kills you.
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Ogre in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

OH, SHUCKS

I hadn't even noticed this thread before making my own SC 2 thread, uh, that's bad, sorry. x.x

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Did you guys catch the WCS finals which ended like 10 minutes ago?

Real amazing games.

Semifinals were both really fun, and as for the finals...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bomber CRUSHED Jaedong 4-0.

Jaedong has been massacring everyone in the tournament with his "3 base infinite marine-mine" build, which does exactly what it says on the tin: 3 CCs, then at some point he begins building 14 marines at a time, plus mines and a few medivacs, and he denies your expos and just kills you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    at least scarlet put up a better fight against the eventual winner, then the other finalist did. Will have to watch the vods.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Titan in the Playground

So where would one go to watch the Vods? And did Day 9 cast at all?

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    So where would one go to watch the Vods? And did Day 9 cast at all?
    I don't think so, but at least artosis was casting.
    http://www.twitch.tv/wcs_europe
    Rebroadcast of semis and final is starting now I think.
    vods will eventually be
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...DW26LMOq30JtEy
    I think. Right now only quarters are up.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Troll in the Playground

Day9 didn't cast anything at all.

And as for
    Spoiler
    Show
    Scarlett, yeah, her match vs Bomber was AMAZING.

Really fun to watch, in particular game... 3 or 4, i don't remember. One of the ones Scarlett won, she came back twice from behind with great flanks which were really amazing to watch

Other question:
    Can Zerg do anything else apart from muta-ling-baneling vs mass marine-widow mine?
    I don't know, infestor broodlord? or roach hydra viper for some HUGE blinding clouds?
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Ogre in the Playground

So, um, I have a Starcraft II battlenet account! I'm Tectonicrobot. Anyone want to be my, er, battlenet friend?

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ogre in the Playground

Other question:
    Can Zerg do anything else apart from muta-ling-baneling vs mass marine-widow mine?
    I don't know, infestor broodlord? or roach hydra viper for some HUGE blinding clouds?
    I don't know, but infestor broodlord and vipers come out way too late to be the main defence to start I think. Roach hydra probably aren't that great since they have no aoe to deal with 14 marine at a time.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    So, um, I have a Starcraft II battlenet account! I'm Tectonicrobot. Anyone want to be my, er, battlenet friend?
    You'll have to say your code (3-cypher number) and what server you play in for people to add you! =)

@Legoshrimp
    I was thinking of something like a basic zergling/baneling/roach defense, and THEN transition into those units
    Last edited by Gandariel; 2013-08-25 at 04:42 PM.
    So yeah. your wrong.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ogre in the Playground

Um, right, sorry! I have no experience in this thing. >_>

I need to find those things. One secoooooooooooooooond or multiple.

Fair warning, I kind of stink! If anyone plays with me.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Titan in the Playground

Um, right, sorry! I have no experience in this thing. >_>

I need to find those things. One secoooooooooooooooond or multiple.

Fair warning, I kind of stink! If anyone plays with me.
    What's that? Someone new to SC2 and have no experience with multiplayer? Unheard of in a group where 60% of members joined this thread with the exact story.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Titan in the Playground

I'm currently in Silver League, but I haven't played in months. Kinda enamored with Relic's way of doing things after figuring out how exactly Company of Heroes works, I vastly prefer how upgrades and and resources work in it, although the campaign missions, which are almost entirely "assault an entrenched position", take way too long.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legoshrimp View Post
    I don't know, but infestor broodlord and vipers come out way too late to be the main defence to start I think. Roach hydra probably aren't that great since they have no aoe to deal with 14 marine at a time.
    Roach/Hydra/Ling is an opening tactic, although by the time you have Hydra, you can have Infestors which can really help in handling squads of marines.

Roach/BLing/Infestor is a surprisingly powerful, if not very mobile, land force. Roaches and maybe a few lings up front. Fungal, and Bling while opponents are stuck in place. Rather effective against mass marine unless your opponent micros medivac drops and pickups. Then again, catch a medivac in a fungal or two, and he starts having real trouble. Pretty gas-intensive, but you can use Lings as a mineral dump.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2013-08-25 at 08:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been poking around Starcraft II, and I'm having trouble finding my code and the server I'm on. Can anyone help me?

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ettin in the Playground

So after watching the finals, I have decided that a name change is in order for one of the players.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jaedong shall henceforth be "Jim Kelly"

Last edited by Artanis; 2013-08-26 at 12:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Troll in the Playground

I've been poking around Starcraft II, and I'm having trouble finding my code and the server I'm on. Can anyone help me?
    Well if you're American, you're most likely on the NA server. If you're european, you're likely on the European server :P

As for your personal code: Click on your friends list (the thing with your name, portrait, and green light), then try to add a friend (there should be a button there). They ask you for Username + code or Username + email.
    There you should also see your code
    So yeah. your wrong.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, I am Tectonicbot (458) on the North American servers, I think! (Thank you for the help!)

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

HotS:

Story: Cool. I don't really really care that much for RP and story and such, but this one is really interesting, and you never get that "i wanna skip but then i wouldn't understand anything" feeling.

Missions: Maybe a tad too easy if you're a good player. The issue i've seen people have is that you don't really need every unit in the game.
    They're all great and all, but you don't really **need** them.
    Just get roach/hydra and you can smash through the campaign. Infestors, Swarm hosts, Mutas, etc... yeah, they're amazing, but you don't feel you need them.

Evo missions: Really fun. I think one of the most interesting parts of HotS is the evolution missions. They're really easy on themselves, but they have a great zerg-y feel, they make your choice matter a lot in the game, and the units themselves are really interesting, albeit some are definitely overpowered (both kinds of roaches are incredibly strong)
    I'm playing through the campaign at the moment. I've been really out of touch with the game, i've not played in ages, but I found the missions were criminally easy on normal. But that's probably that i'm not a bad player, was platinum back in S1 and WoL was the first time i'd really played the starcraft series.

Overall I think it's fun, i'm enjoying the story line and I quite like that you collect a mishmash of characters that each have an interesting dialogue as part of the story. I agree with some of the units coming in too late and the earlier levels are really a case of "just give me some damn mutas/infestors/other zerg unit so I can pwn this level quickly and move on".

As a quick question, I sided with Tosh in my first play through of the WoL campaign (I think I went Tosh, Nova, Tosh as I went through on normal, hard and then Brutal) and then
    Spoiler
    Show
    Potential Spoiler for the storyline
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nova is one who captured Jim during the early campaign levels. Is this different if you sided with Nova in the earlier campaign?
    Last edited by Talesin; 2013-08-27 at 11:12 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talesin View Post
    I'm playing through the campaign at the moment. I've been really out of touch with the game, i've not played in ages, but I found the missions were criminally easy on normal. But that's probably that i'm not a bad player, was platinum back in S1 and WoL was the first time i'd really played the starcraft series.

Overall I think it's fun, i'm enjoying the story line and I quite like that you collect a mishmash of characters that each have an interesting dialogue as part of the story. I agree with some of the units coming in too late and the earlier levels are really a case of "just give me some damn mutas/infestors/other zerg unit so I can pwn this level quickly and move on".

As a quick question, I sided with Tosh in my first play through of the WoL campaign (I think I went Tosh, Nova, Tosh as I went through on normal, hard and then Brutal) and then
    Spoiler
    Show
    Potential Spoiler for the storyline
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nova is one who captured Jim during the early campaign levels. Is this different if you sided with Nova in the earlier campaign?
    Spoilered answer for the spoilered question:

Spoiler
    Show
    Siding with Tosh is the canon decision.

Anyways, I honestly thought the first base mission was the hardest - the one where you've only got zerglings and you're fighting marines and hellbats?