Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Eh, that happens.

a few small tips:
    1) don't go pure air against zerg. They can make hydras way faster than you make your air units, and they'll just kill you.
    you can switch to air if you see he's going muta/ling, or if he has swarmhost-centered builds, but air just from the beginning is pretty hard.
    I wouldn't say that, a couple of early VR's and an oracle can really shut down expos and ruin his day before he has a chance to counter effectively.

2) scout
    I would also say harass, but quite frankly i have a hard time properly harassing, so just focus on scouting :P
    Scouting is easy if you remember to do it.
    - send a probe whenever you want (after the 1st pylon, after the gate, whatever you want)
    -as soon as the cybercore finishes get a mothership core and/or a stalker.
    Send the mothership core behind their mineral line to do some harass. Also you'll see some of his buildings and stuff like that. (if he's terran, you can see how many marines he sends after your core)
    Maybe send a stalker to check out if he has a third? a natural? just run away as soon as you see what you wanted to see, he likely doesn't have anything faster than your stalker.
    -Sentries have Free hallucination upgrade!
    Periodically select a sentry, press C X to create a phoenix and send it in to see his army, bases and buildings =)
    Of course, scouting is only half the battle. The other half is knowing what has been presented actually means in terms of what you should do.

Also, expand more and earlier. if you have the mothership core you can hold most early pushes with photon overcharge, don't worry.
    Agreed. He who turtles, gets out-macro'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Troll in the Playground

Just to make it clear:
    early game air harassment is totally viable. very early, oracles, phoenixes, voidrays, they all work well.

The point is, if you just add stargates and keep making air units, the enemy is gonna swarm you with Hydras and kill you.
    He may get air units of his own, but Hydras are cheaper, and cost-effective against all air units in the game.

Mothership core is rather slow, yes, but can work ok. I'll check if i have a replay to show you what i mean

And yes, Free hallucination is AMAZING. Get the free scouts from phoenixes, scare your opponent with a couple extra immortals or just get free meat shields: Archons have 360 life and don't get extra damage from almost anything, Immortals have that special shield thing.

Remember that hallucinations take double damage from everything (so hallucinated immortals take max 20 shield damage from an attack).

Before an engagement, if you have time, get a few hallucinations and put them in front of the army, you'll absorb the first shots for free.

EDIT: Oh, and if you Hallucinate zealots or stalkers you get two of them =)
    Last edited by Gandariel; 2013-10-01 at 03:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Ettin in the Playground

And yes, Free hallucination is AMAZING. Get the free scouts from phoenixes, scare your opponent with a couple extra immortals or just get free meat shields: Archons have 360 life and don't get extra damage from almost anything, Immortals have that special shield thing.
    Also, if you ever find yourself up against IdrA, you can hallucinate a bunch of Void Rays and make him rage quit
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Also, Bronze League Heroes is a good way to see some of the more common blunders found, and some pro tips from Husky how to avoid them.
    i watched a couple of those. The tips he gives are reeeeeally basic. like "make orbital commands" or "get warp gate" but still useful, i suppose
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Bugbear in the Playground

The point is, if you just add stargates and keep making air units, the enemy is gonna swarm you with Hydras and kill you.
    He may get air units of his own, but Hydras are cheaper, and cost-effective against all air units in the game.

Not entirely true, but true enough for most practical purposes. Hydras are actually not cost-effective vs carriers. The trick there is that they're really TIME effective. Carriers take so terribly long to build that you can't get enough of them without a lot of time. But if you have time, resources, and an inability to make the swap to colossi, well, THEN carriers are a solid choice. (They're also a good unit to mix in late game if you've got to infrastructure up already. Seems like every time I make them and get into a giant army-on-army fight, I limp away with 3 carriers after both armies cancel out. Sturdy ol' boats.)
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

Steam: Thiyr (The Great and Powerful Bulbasaur).
    SC2: RianL.377. Hit me up for some SC2 if you're on.

Bulbabulbabulbabulba...SAUR.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

Just to make it clear:
    early game air harassment is totally viable. very early, oracles, phoenixes, voidrays, they all work well.

Yes and no. If you build four VR's and take down his expo and his main hatch/lair/hive, you've pretty much prevented him from building Hydras in the first place. Send an oracle along to snipe drones and queens, and it's pretty much GG if the zerg doesn't scout it and start bulding Hydras before those VR's come knocking.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Also, if you ever find yourself up against IdrA, you can hallucinate a bunch of Void Rays and make him rage quit
    IdrA quit.
    Like, for good.
    Like, almost a year ago.
    Mostly because he's been kicked off Team Liquid several times, he got kicked off another team, and without a team to support him with residual, no sponsor wanted to touch him, and he wasn't even good enough to reach qualifiers on his own.
    Even with the IdrA fanclub defending his jerkwad behavior to fellow players, his streaming audience, his fanclub, his team, etc, the world eventually shrugged him off. And without the backers, he had no livelyhood, so he rage-quit StarCraft, and went and got a job. I hear he's working fast food.

TL:DR-Don't be a douchebag player or the world eventually drops you like a hot potato.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    IdrA quit.
    Like, for good.
    Like, almost a year ago.
    Mostly because he's been kicked off Team Liquid several times, he got kicked off another team, and without a team to support him with residual, no sponsor wanted to touch him, and he wasn't even good enough to reach qualifiers on his own.
    Even with the IdrA fanclub defending his jerkwad behavior to fellow players, his streaming audience, his fanclub, his team, etc, the world eventually shrugged him off. And without the backers, he had no livelyhood, so he rage-quit StarCraft, and went and got a job. I hear he's working fast food.

TL:DR-Don't be a douchebag player or the world eventually drops you like a hot potato.
    It was supposed to be a joke
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Titan in the Playground

IdrA quit.
    Like, for good.
    Like, almost a year ago.

...Not sure if sarcastic.

Isn't IdrA an analytical commentator?
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2013-10-01 at 03:35 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Ettin in the Playground

So Lucifron vs. Dayshi was awesome.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just for fun, Dayshi decided to go Random instead of Terran, and kept winding up with Zerg. That went...poorly for him.

My favorite moment was in game 2 when Lucifron moved out, and one of the commentators went, "Well, Lucifron is moving out with units, which is a pretty good composition against Dayshi's no units".
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Ogre in the Playground

IdrA quit.
    Like, for good.
    Like, almost a year ago.

Idra was never on team liquid(he has been banned from the teamliquid.net forums multiple times though). He was kicked from Evil Geniuses less than 6 months ago, he streams/and does coaching regularly getting decent view counts, and has done some commentating.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legoshrimp View Post
    Idra was never on team liquid(he has been banned from the teamliquid.net forums multiple times though). He was kicked from Evil Geniuses less than 6 months ago, he streams/and does coaching regularly getting decent view counts, and has done some commentating.
    Oh yeah, IdrA definitely still plays too. His life isn't some big disaster because he got kicked off the team he was on for bad behavior. He's still really good at this game and has a following of PewDiePie fans.
    My Steam profile

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, people who like Pewdiepie like this IdrA fella?

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Wait, people who like Pewdiepie like this IdrA fella?
    IdrA's main schtick as a player is for cursing at everything and calling it OP. That's a magnet for the type of people who like PDP.
    My Steam profile

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    IdrA's main schtick as a player is for cursing at everything and calling it OP.
    Some of the things I liked when I used to watch his games was an almost prescient ability to time things.

*Idra has nothing but drones*
    *Attack moves out*
    *Roaches spawn*
    *Attack gets killed by roaches*

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Troll in the Playground

Opening SCII these days:

" Get back to school with 50% off SCII! "

... Wait, what?
    So yeah. your wrong.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Troll in the Playground

Update on my part: if anyone cares

got to number 1 gold, still have a lot of bonus points pool, i have a pretty good win ratio. Expecting a promotion soon, if i manage to play these days.

I went mass voidrays against a couple Toss players who ragequitted since "they were so much better than me but voidrays are so OP" (i checked, i have better macro too :P). Still, voidrays are friggin' good.

Oh, also one time i got cannon rushed. I just rushed my mothership core and a stalker, then built a second nexus just in case i lost my first one during the cannon rush. i waited out and had some probes long distance mine for a while until i got the Photon Overcharge. When i finally got it, i was easily able to destroy every cannon. (i could attack them with MSC and stalker too, since cannons targeted my nexus due to higher DPS). AND i had an expo up.
    All in all, i didn't overreact, i only lost a couple probes,a zealot, and some mining time.
    Then, i scouted with an hallucinated phoenix, scouted him going for robo and then colossus, i went double stargates and killed him with voidrays.

I also played a few arcade games: Monobattles are still fun, Desert strike and Nexus wars are long but cool.

Oh, an amazing arcade game is called Micro Tournament. You challenge each other in a long series of micro battles. roaches vs stalkers, zealots vs zealots, ling/bane battles, a lot of them.
    It's pretty fun, sadly not a lot of people plays that, so you might have to get some friends to play with you.
    So yeah. your wrong.

18. - Top - End - #1398

@Starcraft Arcade
    StarCraft Universe
    Look it up!
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Titan in the Playground

I start off a match with glhf. He responds with 'lol n00b u r ded just qq already'. Ahh, one of those matches. Right, so early scout, because we already know where this is going.

Sure enough, forge and no gate. Right, so that means he's going to put the Pylon just outside of sight range of my command center, where he can put a couple of cannons also out of sight. By this time, my rax was already down, of course. Delayed gas an orbital command.

Oh, and apparently I must be map hacking because there is NO WAY I could've had vision where he put the pylon... despite the fact that I saw the probe head over in that direction, and my SCV spotted forge and no gate in his base.

But clearly, I must have hacked to have known he was putting a pylon down there. You know, where EVERY cannon-rusher puts their pylon.

And because I knew there was going to be a cannon rush, I had an early marine come out to deal with it, delaying my gas and orbital command. Then once I got my orbital command up, I got an engi for +1 attack, a couple more rax, and dropped a turret back behind my mineral line. Because the natural follow-up for a failed cannon rush is going to be a DT rush. Yes, I've delayed my expo, but what the heck, I mostly suck at SC2 anyways.

Right, so I start up my 3 rax, one with a reactor cranking out 'rines and the other two dedicated to marauders. Oh, and a Factory to crank out a couple of widow mines.

Here comes the DT drop. Oh, and then the conversion over to power to warpgate in more DT's. Unfortunately, the widow mines roflstomped them before the bio ball could react.

Of course, now it's PROOF! PROOF! that I was haxxing, because there's NO WAY I could've known he was going to DT rush me. Because that's such an original idea that NO ONE could have predicted it!!!

Oh, and I was resource hacking as well, because NO ONE can have 100 supply army at the mere 15 minute mark...

I mean... come on. Yes, I suck at SC2. I fail horribly. But even I know what a Cannon Rush is, and what a DT rush is, and how to defeat them both.

At that point, he ragequit, claiming he was going to report me.

Granted, if he had just gone 4gate, I could've still probably taken him simply because I had maxed out my SCV's on the one base and was going to expo after his next push, simply because terran bio-ball is just that good. I also had a couple of mines at my front ramp. But he wouldn't have been able to go Colossi and I doubt he had the micro for storming, which would've been my only two real concerns.

Maybe I should submit it to HuskyReplays for submission to Bronze League Heroes.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Doooo eeeeeeeet.

Failed cheese, twice, plus poor-sportsman raeg and accusations of hacking? That's like the perfect trifecta of fail all in one glorious match.

Or at least share the video with us.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2013-10-02 at 03:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1401

I feel bad for the Blizzard guys who have to sort through reports like that.

I mean, we all know that kid didn't report anything, but sheesh, the number of reports they probably get like that a day is probably absurd.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe I should submit it to HuskyReplays for submission to Bronze League Heroes.
    DOITNOW DOITNOW DOITNOW DOITNOW!

I feel bad for the Blizzard guys who have to sort through reports like that.

I mean, we all know that kid didn't report anything, but sheesh, the number of reports they probably get like that a day is probably absurd.
    They probably just ignore everything below Gold. If somebody hacks and is still that bad, they probably aren't much of an issue
    Last edited by Artanis; 2013-10-02 at 04:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    DOITNOW DOITNOW DOITNOW DOITNOW!

They probably just ignore everything below Gold. If somebody hacks and is still that bad, they probably aren't much of an issue
    Thats. . . actually a good point. I admit I dont do multiplayer so im not sure how it works, but dont you auto upgrade according to your win/loss record? So yeah, if you are doing all sorts of fun hacks and still cant get past gold, you are a very sad little man.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Thats. . . actually a good point. I admit I dont do multiplayer so im not sure how it works, but dont you auto upgrade according to your win/loss record? So yeah, if you are doing all sorts of fun hacks and still cant get past gold, you are a very sad little man.
    It's based on wins and losses, but not the win/loss record itself. My understanding of it is that it uses a rating that is similar in concept to Elo to match you up with people around your supposed skill level, and puts you in a league based on that rating. If you keep winning, your rating goes up, and you get promoted if your rating goes high enough. Likewise, if you keep losing, your rating goes down, and you eventually get demoted.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, i'd like to see the video too.
    I almost never lose to cannon rushes anymore, but when i started playing and i lost to them, that frustrated me SO much.

Oh, also. Once, in a team game, some a**hole in my team wanted to troll us, so he took all of his workers and began attacking my bases. I couldn't block it and had a hard time killing his units because i had to manually do it.
    I had randomed zerg, and i kept losing all three hatcheries, my buildings were losing health because no creep.. i just quit after a while.
    So yeah. your wrong.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Titan in the Playground

I start off a match with glhf. He responds with 'lol n00b u r ded just qq already'. Ahh, one of those matches. Right, so early scout, because we already know where this is going.

Sure enough, forge and no gate. Right, so that means he's going to put the Pylon just outside of sight range of my command center, where he can put a couple of cannons also out of sight. By this time, my rax was already down, of course. Delayed gas an orbital command.

Oh, and apparently I must be map hacking because there is NO WAY I could've had vision where he put the pylon... despite the fact that I saw the probe head over in that direction, and my SCV spotted forge and no gate in his base.

But clearly, I must have hacked to have known he was putting a pylon down there. You know, where EVERY cannon-rusher puts their pylon.

And because I knew there was going to be a cannon rush, I had an early marine come out to deal with it, delaying my gas and orbital command. Then once I got my orbital command up, I got an engi for +1 attack, a couple more rax, and dropped a turret back behind my mineral line. Because the natural follow-up for a failed cannon rush is going to be a DT rush. Yes, I've delayed my expo, but what the heck, I mostly suck at SC2 anyways.

Right, so I start up my 3 rax, one with a reactor cranking out 'rines and the other two dedicated to marauders. Oh, and a Factory to crank out a couple of widow mines.

Here comes the DT drop. Oh, and then the conversion over to power to warpgate in more DT's. Unfortunately, the widow mines roflstomped them before the bio ball could react.

Of course, now it's PROOF! PROOF! that I was haxxing, because there's NO WAY I could've known he was going to DT rush me. Because that's such an original idea that NO ONE could have predicted it!!!

Oh, and I was resource hacking as well, because NO ONE can have 100 supply army at the mere 15 minute mark...

I mean... come on. Yes, I suck at SC2. I fail horribly. But even I know what a Cannon Rush is, and what a DT rush is, and how to defeat them both.

At that point, he ragequit, claiming he was going to report me.

Granted, if he had just gone 4gate, I could've still probably taken him simply because I had maxed out my SCV's on the one base and was going to expo after his next push, simply because terran bio-ball is just that good. I also had a couple of mines at my front ramp. But he wouldn't have been able to go Colossi and I doubt he had the micro for storming, which would've been my only two real concerns.

Post the replay for us too.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Titan in the Playground

DAMNIT!!!!

Okay, I run Mint15, so I use WINE and PlayOnLinux to play SC2. Apparently the game file was saved on a virtual drive which was then removed when I closed the instance. I'm searching my hard drive for traces of where that save file went to, even scouring the temp folders. I've tried .wine//dosdevices/c:/Program Files, and I've tried .PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/SC2/drive_c/SC2, but the folders there yield no game file. I even went to .PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/SC2/drive_c/users/Public/ApplicationData/SC2 and no such luck.

Perhaps if I keep sucking at SC2 long enough, I'll run into him, or one like him.

It was particularly funny because when I asked him if he was IdrA, the guy stated (and pardon if I paraphrase) that he was a big fan of IrdA. Go fig.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Ogre in the Playground

DAMNIT!!!!

Okay, I run Mint15, so I use WINE and PlayOnLinux to play SC2. Apparently the game file was saved on a virtual drive which was then removed when I closed the instance. I'm searching my hard drive for traces of where that save file went to, even scouring the temp folders. I've tried .wine//dosdevices/c:/Program Files, and I've tried .PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/SC2/drive_c/SC2, but the folders there yield no game file. I even went to .PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/SC2/drive_c/users/Public/ApplicationData/SC2 and no such luck.

Perhaps if I keep sucking at SC2 long enough, I'll run into him, or one like him.

It was particularly funny because when I asked him if he was IdrA, the guy stated (and pardon if I paraphrase) that he was a big fan of IrdA. Go fig.
    You faiiiileeeeed ussssss.

Faaaaaaaaaaiiiiiileeeeeeed ussssssss.

You must pay the great Starcraft II discussion thread a tribute of some sort, something replay-ish, maybe, I dunno, or some sort of custom map, we're flexible.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, hold on, how does this game's matchmaking work? I just played a couple of games today, and got paired with gold players both times. I'm in bronze, shouldn't it only pair me with other bronze players? Or at most maybe silver? What the hell?
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Wait, hold on, how does this game's matchmaking work? I just played a couple of games today, and got paired with gold players both times. I'm in bronze, shouldn't it only pair me with other bronze players? Or at most maybe silver? What the hell?
    Your MMR is a secret value and is used to figure who you should play next. It is not the same as your ladder ranking. There is also a window around it, so you can get paired above and below your rank.

If you have been on a winning streak, your MMR may have risen, but the game does not move you to a new league until your MMR stabilizes somewhat (you start losing and winning again in roughly equal proportions). If you are playing Gold players, you may actually be being considered for getting moved to Gold league. It is theoretically possible to skip leagues, although I haven't heard of it.