New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Crushing Finesse [3.5, Feat, PEACH]

Crushing Finesse
    Prerequisites: Power Attack, Weapon Finesse, BAB +6
    Benefit: When wielding a one or two handed melee weapon that can be used in conjunction with Weapon Finesse, you may apply your dexterity and strength modifier to damage.
    Normal: You may only apply your strength modifier to damage.
    Special: A fighter may select Crushing Finesse as one of his fighter bonus feats.
    Last edited by shaddy_24; 2012-02-12 at 06:01 PM.
    The Ishka wiki. Check it out people, it's a cool little city.

My memorial spoiler. Please give a moment of silence for those who have died.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Crushing Finesse [3.5, Feat, PEACH]

This is essentially Shadow Blade with different, somewhat harsher pre-reqs and less limited application. I don't see a problem.
    Last edited by Toptomcat; 2012-02-12 at 06:52 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Power Attack requires 13 Strength, so this feat doesn't let you completely dump Strength like Shadow Blade does. Which I like. The +6 BAB also means that a pure rogue continues to be awful in non-SA combat situations until 9th level, which is good.

I can see this feat being as staple on a Champion of Corellon Laetherian as Knowledge Devotion is on a duskblade. All in all, extra damage that exceeds Weapon Specialization for a feat is good.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    I can see this feat being as staple on a Champion of Corellon Laetherian as Knowledge Devotion is on a duskblade. All in all, extra damage that exceeds Weapon Specialization for a feat is good.
    Correction; extra damage that exceeds Weapon Specialization for a feat is acceptable.

I think I'd drop the BAB requirement to +4 (maybe +2), but I do tend to like better feats than standard: for example, my current houserule list includes basically this feat with no prerequisites as a replacement for Weapon Finesse, with 3.5's Weapon Finesse an option anyone can do.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2012-02-12 at 08:06 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shaddy_24 View Post
    Crushing Finesse
    Prerequisites: Power Attack, Weapon Finesse, BAB +6
    Benefit: When wielding a one or two handed melee weapon that can be used in conjunction with Weapon Finesse, you may apply your dexterity and strength modifier to damage.
    Normal: You may only apply your strength modifier to damage.
    Special: A fighter may select Crushing Finesse as one of his fighter bonus feats.
    In my opinion, this feat is a bit on the weak side. Dex based characters already need to spend feats to get what Strength based ones get for free, lets not aggravate that fact .

If you look at the net result of this feat, compared to its prerequisites, it only gives a few extra points of damage. I'd suggest altering the prereqs accordingly.
    One thing you can do is lower or remove the BAB requirement as that only makes sure the little bonus damage you get from this feat only comes into play on a level where it matters less.
    Also I would consider removing the Power Attack requirement, as characters who use Weapon Finesse have little chance to use Power Attack to any useful degree. Only players who manage to find the few two-handed finessable weapons from some splatbook will use that combo to its fullest, and even then they are still forced to have an above average Strength score (negating some of the use of Weapon Focus).

Hope this is useful!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarril View Post
    In my opinion, this feat is a bit on the weak side. Dex based characters already need to spend feats to get what Strength based ones get for free, lets not aggravate that fact .

If you look at the net result of this feat, compared to its prerequisites, it only gives a few extra points of damage. I'd suggest altering the prereqs accordingly.
    One thing you can do is lower or remove the BAB requirement as that only makes sure the little bonus damage you get from this feat only comes into play on a level where it matters less.
    Also I would consider removing the Power Attack requirement, as characters who use Weapon Finesse have little chance to use Power Attack to any useful degree. Only players who manage to find the few two-handed finessable weapons from some splatbook will use that combo to its fullest, and even then they are still forced to have an above average Strength score (negating some of the use of Weapon Focus).

Hope this is useful!
    Spiked Chains, anyone? Alternatively, Elven Courtblade.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #7

SolithKnightGuy

How about removing Power Attack and instead simply requiring Str 13? I want to keep some restriction on this feat that requires someone to be both strong and dexterous, where you're stacking the bonuses rather than simply replacing them. Setting it to BAB +4 makes it available to 6th level rogues, which works considering most rogues that want weapon finesse will have to grab it as their level 3 feat. Fighters who choose to specialize in dexterity can grab it with their level 4 fighter bonus feat.

The character I'm designing this for actually does use an Elvan Courtblade, so he's got power attack as well.
    Last edited by shaddy_24; 2012-02-13 at 01:04 PM.
    The Ishka wiki. Check it out people, it's a cool little city.

My memorial spoiler. Please give a moment of silence for those who have died.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

8. - Top - End - #8

It strikes me that you should probably specify that this does not stack with Shadow Blade.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
    It strikes me that you should probably specify that this does not stack with Shadow Blade.
    The only weapon you can even use this with that benefits from Shadow Blade is the spiked chain. "One or two handed melee weapon" cuts out all of the light weapons that are Shadow Hand-preferred. I don't think it's an issue, since you'd need to take 4 feats to get Dex to damage twice as it stands. Even with the prereqs cut, it's not overpowering.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2012-02-16 at 08:26 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Why not make it that you add dex and str to hit?
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.