New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Explorers of Acacia - Main thread

Lyral, more than tired of the waiting, moves into the bush. All the while, he is wary of his surroundings, looking for some sort of threat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+16)[24]
    Listen: (1d20+14)[29]
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-06-26 at 11:10 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demidos View Post
    "No. I think you will stay. And answer a few questions." Says Imaran, his eyes uncharacteristically hard.
    "Uh... We don't know anything, so..."

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Lyral, more than tired of the waiting, moves into the bush. All the while, he is wary of his surroundings, looking for some sort of threat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: [roll0]
    Listen: [roll1]
    The bush is empty.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

Who are you. Why are you here. Tell.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demidos View Post
    Who are you. Why are you here. Tell.
    "We're just here to keep watch."

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Who are you keeping watch for? And, what are you watching? Algrithasks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Algrith is at least 10 feet from any of the guards, if possible.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

After he is satisfied that there is no visible threat, Lyral turns back towards Osulu and the unconscious halfling.
    "We can try to press on towards the Circle now. These bandits are proving to be a distraction."
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    Who are you keeping watch for? And, what are you watching? Algrithasks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Algrith is at least 10 feet from any of the guards, if possible.
    "That door there."

After he is satisfied that there is no visible threat, Lyral turns back towards Osulu and the unconscious halfling.
    "We can try to press on towards the Circle now. These bandits are proving to be a distraction."
    "Are we taking this guy along with us?"
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-06-29 at 11:21 AM.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    Gah, I needed a second to edit in the colors for his speaking...

I know that was long as heck, but I had to reherse that a few times to make it sound right. Granted, no one's getting neck-lifted in the actual one, while I had a bit of fun in real life practicing this.

Still, I'll reduce it if I need to.

"I'm surprised you seem so disinterested. So... detached in what is going on."

Resting his weapon over his shoulder, Tarmikos speaks. "As you seem to state earlier, you intend to leave this place now. But you should realize that no one here is going to be able to hide, be it from the light... or the darkness."

Taking a breath, he continues. "Let me make this as clear for you as I can. The town guard finally has wind of this facility. No matter how long your crimes here have gone unpunished, that will surely and swiftly come to an end. At best, by assisting us in our endeavors, you earn a bit of redemption when the time comes for your judgment by the courts. That, in case you weren't paying attention, is the easy way out."

Tarmikos' facial features tense, and his grip on his weapon grows tight. "And that's assuming he, or one of his men, doesn’t get to you before you can reach the safety provided by iron bars. Don't be ignorant; you know -Exactly- who I'm talking about. Prison's probably looking like a sanctuary right now. Your group has been working with him for however long for whatever foolish risk might have been thought to be worth it. It's most likely not. And it's a safe bet that news of this compound's compromising will reach the ears of his gang. Submitting to the protection of the law might be your best chance at survival, considering it’s a safe bet that now, you’re all considered a liability."

After a pause, Tarmikos continues on. "We may be on the side of the local authorities, and you may be criminals, but that doesn't mean we aren't unreasonable. I'm sure you're aware of your standing, and you can make the best choice for yourself. I'll list them for you; though feel free to amend the list: you can assist us in finding the rest of this group, and surrender to our custody, and be delivered safely to the Guard Captain's capable hands. Or you can continue to be unhelpful, or even struggle if you want, and inhibit our progress, potentially hurting your chances of survival."

He begins to advance toward the men, blade pointed at the doors. "The rest of your gang. Particularly your leaders. I want to know which way leads to them, and what to expect along the way. If you want to avoid a brief nap, you may even come along with us and guide us. Maybe we can chat a bit along the way. But we’ve wasted enough time here, and while I normally wouldn’t be so aggressive, I’m not going to be so polite as to ask again.”

Spoiler
    Show
    If either of them move this time, they are eating an attack of opportunity. Non-lethally, of course, but still. Done playing games.

Do I need to roll anything? Or can my previous rolls still stand?
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-06-29 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Finished editing.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gah, I needed a second to edit in the colors for his speaking...

I know that was long as heck, but I had to reherse that a few times to make it sound right. Granted, no one's getting neck-lifted in the actual one, while I had a bit of fun in real life practicing this.

Still, I'll reduce it if I need to.

"I'm surprised you seem so disinterested. So... detached in what is going on."

Resting his weapon over his shoulder, Tarmikos speaks. "As you seem to state earlier, you intend to leave this place now. But you should realize that no one here is going to be able to hide, be it from the light... or the darkness."

Taking a breath, he continues. "Let me make this as clear for you as I can. The town guard finally has wind of this facility. No matter how long your crimes here have gone unpunished, that will surely and swiftly come to an end. At best, by assisting us in our endeavors, you earn a bit of redemption when the time comes for your judgment by the courts. That, in case you weren't paying attention, is the easy way out."

Tarmikos' facial features tense, and his grip on his weapon grows tight. "And that's assuming he, or one of his men, doesn’t get to you before you can reach the safety provided by iron bars. Don't be ignorant; you know -Exactly- who I'm talking about. Prison's probably looking like a sanctuary right now. Your group has been working with him for however long for whatever foolish risk might have been thought to be worth it. It's most likely not. And it's a safe bet that news of this compound's compromising will reach the ears of his gang. Submitting to the protection of the law might be your best chance at survival, considering it’s a safe bet that now, you’re all considered a liability."

After a pause, Tarmikos continues on. "We may be on the side of the local authorities, and you may be criminals, but that doesn't mean we aren't unreasonable. I'm sure you're aware of your standing, and you can make the best choice for yourself. I'll list them for you; though feel free to amend the list: you can assist us in finding the rest of this group, and surrender to our custody, and be delivered safely to the Guard Captain's capable hands. Or you can continue to be unhelpful, or even struggle if you want, and inhibit our progress, potentially hurting your chances of survival."

He begins to advance toward the men, blade pointed at the doors. "The rest of your gang. Particularly your leaders. I want to know which way leads to them, and what to expect along the way. If you want to avoid a brief nap, you may even come along with us and guide us. Maybe we can chat a bit along the way. But we’ve wasted enough time here, and while I normally wouldn’t be so aggressive, I’m not going to be so polite as to ask again.”

Spoiler
    Show
    If either of them move this time, they are eating an attack of opportunity. Non-lethally, of course, but still. Done playing games.

Do I need to roll anything? Or can my previous rolls still stand?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's get a little interesting with the rolls today. First, roll an Intimidate (DC 10). Then roll an Diplomacy check (DC will be revealed later).

"Oh. Um, I don't know much of the place myself, but the door over there is supposedly trapped." He points to the door on the side wall. The other guy says "That other door is locked, but I have the key right here." He holds out the key.
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-07-01 at 07:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    This entire post rides on the fact (be it correct or not) that neither of them are Bluffing worse than a DC 19 Sense Motive, unless something changes.

Sheathing his sword, Tarmikos takes the key from the man's outstretched hand. "Thank you very much." He begins to walk to the other side of the room.

Half way across he stops, turning his head. "If you want to come with us, and help in this matter further, anyway you could, I'd appreciate it. If you want to go where you feel is safe, go ahead; though I know this city has at least one decent tracker... maybe two." he speaks, thinking of Lyral and Kel. "And I bet the police force has more. The less you struggle, the easier it will be for you." Smiling, he quickly adds a bit more: "Digan, the captain of the guard, seems rather level headed. I bet if you came to him and told him what you knew, he'd be able to help you. I'm sure you guys can find the station for yourselves."

Facing the far side door again, he speaks one more time. "May we all be safe. Let's go." With that, he immediately closes the distance to the door, and attempts to unlock it with the key.

Spoiler
    Show
    They could be lying about the door being locked, or the key working for it. Paranoia!

If we get through this door before I leave on vacation, can we earn exp? Freaking Doors...

Darn them being level 1 commoners... otherwise, I could claim that they constituted as an encounter, and that for overcoming them, even without fighting, we should have gotten exp...

I swear I had something really important to ask, but I can't remember it.

NOW I DO! Expeditious Retreat! I forgot how long it had been since I cast it, since even though some of us are measuring how long it's been since we left, I was derping and forgot to. I'm guessing it's basically done with now?

....... and looking over my sheet again, I just found something so horrible, I'm crying laughing about it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I know the spell Open/Close.
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-07-02 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Spell Check!
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    This entire post rides on the fact (be it correct or not) that neither of them are Bluffing worse than a DC 19 Sense Motive, unless something changes.

Sheathing his sword, Tarmikos takes the key from the man's outstretched hand. "Thank you very much." He begins to walk to the other side of the room.

Half way across he stops, turning his head. "If you want to come with us, and help in this matter further, anyway you could, I'd appreciate it. If you want to go where you feel is safe, go ahead; though I know this city has at least one decent tracker... maybe two." he speaks, thinking of Lyral and Kel. "And I bet the police force has more. The less you struggle, the easier it will be for you." Smiling, he quickly adds a bit more: "Digan, the captain of the guard, seems rather level headed. I bet if you came to him and told him what you knew, he'd be able to help you. I'm sure you guys can find the station for yourselves."

Facing the far side door again, he speaks one more time. "May we all be safe. Let's go." With that, he immediately closes the distance to the door, and attempts to unlock it with the key.

Spoiler
    Show
    They could be lying about the door being locked, or the key working for it. Paranoia!

If we get through this door before I leave on vacation, can we earn exp? Freaking Doors...

Darn them being level 1 commoners... otherwise, I could claim that they constituted as an encounter, and that for overcoming them, even without fighting, we should have gotten exp...

I swear I had something really important to ask, but I can't remember it.

NOW I DO! Expeditious Retreat! I forgot how long it had been since I cast it, since even though some of us are measuring how long it's been since we left, I was derping and forgot to. I'm guessing it's basically done with now?

....... and looking over my sheet again, I just found something so horrible, I'm crying laughing about it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I know the spell Open/Close.
    The door unlocks, and you see a open corridor beyond. About 15 ft. down, it branches, one path left, one right.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Jorah clears his throat before standing to share once more what he had learned and what he had guessed. "I performed a Divination spell to learn what I could about the man we hunt, Cruorin. Athena's guidance led me to learn that he has gone to the north, where a great change is to occur. I learned yesterday that the monarch of this land is ailing, perhaps soon to die. The capital of the land is around twenty miles to the north. All this together leads me to believe that Cruorin is either now in the capital or on the way there, and as such I have arranged transportation for any of us who wish to go there, to continue the search. I own several carriages and horses, waiting in the stables, and we may use them to go to the city. I hope to leave either this evening or in the morning, that we may arrive quickly."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, I think that's the salient points, but it's been awhile. Can anyone think of something I failed to mention?

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

After considering for a moment, Lyral simply shrugs. Normally, the man's blood-lust would demand sating, but he has had enough sport for a day. Moreover, bringing a prisoner might be... less than practical over long distances.
    "It's up to you. I would leave him, though."
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

Imaran rolls his eyes at his companion's hopeless naivete, but moves on with the rest, his spell at the ready.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

Algrith is taken aback a little by Tarmikos' speech.

<I hope he knows what he's doing."> Algrith thinks to himself.

Keeping his distance from the guards, he circles around the room until he is about 5 feet from Tarmikos. Then he looks at Imaran, trying to gauge his friends reaction.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

After considering for a moment, Lyral simply shrugs. Normally, the man's blood-lust would demand sating, but he has had enough sport for a day. Moreover, bringing a prisoner might be... less than practical over long distances.
    "It's up to you. I would leave him, though."
    "Alright then." He stands up. "Ready when you are."

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Algrith is taken aback a little by Tarmikos' speech.

<I hope he knows what he's doing."> Algrith thinks to himself.

Keeping his distance from the guards, he circles around the room until he is about 5 feet from Tarmikos. Then he looks at Imaran, trying to gauge his friends reaction.

Imaran looks at Algrith and rolls his eyes. The thought "What can you do" is clearly depicted in the sarcastic gesture. "Lets find the real thugs."

Spoiler
    Show
    "What can you do - we're stuck with this stooge", being the more expanded version. A rhetorical question. Just so we're all clear.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

Lyral nods. Drawing his blade, he grabs the unconscious halfling's wrists. He makes several lacerations, deep enough to bleed him out but not enough to offer him the mercy of a quick death.
    After all, he did try to sneak up on me, and I did feed him afterwards. One good turn deserves an ill one. As the knife pulls apart skin and sinew, Lyral ensures that he makes eye contact with Osulu.
    The elf should know what happens to those who cross my path. After the deed is done, he puts away the tool and begins to continue in a general northward direction, ever searching for the site of the Arcane Circle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival: (1d20+14)[20]
    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+4)[13]
    If either check is needed, use the one you feel is more appropriate to the situation at hand.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-07-03 at 07:53 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

Lyral nods. Drawing his blade, he grabs the unconscious halfling's wrists. He makes several lacerations, deep enough to bleed him out but not enough to offer him the mercy of a quick death.
    After all, he did try to sneak up on me, and I did feed him afterwards. One good turn deserves an ill one. As the knife pulls apart skin and sinew, Lyral ensures that he makes eye contact with Osulu.
    The elf should know what happens to those who cross my path. After the deed is done, he puts away the tool and begins to continue in a general northward direction, ever searching for the site of the Arcane Circle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival: [roll0]
    Knowledge (Local): [roll1]
    If either check is needed, use the one you feel is more appropriate to the situation at hand.
    After a short walk, you spot a stone structure nearby, and Osulu says "I think that might be it."

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

At the side of the structure, Lyral pauses.
    "How can you tell?" He moves slightly closer to the edge of the stone, looking for some sort of detail or confirmation that they have, in fact, arrived at the right place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+16)[35]
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-07-05 at 11:22 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

At the side of the structure, Lyral pauses.
    "How can you tell?" He moves slightly closer to the edge of the stone, looking for some sort of detail or confirmation that they have, in fact, arrived at the right place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: [roll0]
    You can see that it is roughly circular. Osulu says "I don't see what else it could be, but I'll check." His eyes emit a slight glow for a few moments. "This would have to be it, there's quite a bit of magic here."

Spoiler
    Show
    He cast Detect Magic, and held it for 3 rounds.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

Algrith proceeds to go down the corridor after Tarmikos opens the door. With a quick glance over his shoulder to make sure that Tarmikos and Imaran are following him, he proceeds to the intersection.

In a childlike manner typical to Algrith, when he gets to the intersection, he looks over his shoulder and puts his index finger to his lips and does a 'shush' to let them know to keep quiet.

He looks both directions to see if he can see anything so he can make a decision on which way to go.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

Still hesitant, Lyral avoids touching the stone for now.
    "What kind of magic? Any traps you're aware of?"
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

Algrith proceeds to go down the corridor after Tarmikos opens the door. With a quick glance over his shoulder to make sure that Tarmikos and Imaran are following him, he proceeds to the intersection.

In a childlike manner typical to Algrith, when he gets to the intersection, he looks over his shoulder and puts his index finger to his lips and does a 'shush' to let them know to keep quiet.

He looks both directions to see if he can see anything so he can make a decision on which way to go.
    You see a empty hallway in both directions. Both paths turn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
    |.|     |.|
    |.|-----|.|
    |.........|
    -----@-----
        |@|

Still hesitant, Lyral avoids touching the stone for now.
    "What kind of magic? Any traps you're aware of?"
    "It doesn't look trapped. We should be fine."

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Somewhat satisfied with the elf's analysis, Lyral approaches the structure, looking for an entrance in the weathered stone. His step is sure, but wary.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Algrith, looking at his companions for second before turning back to the two choices, mumbles "Eni, meni, mini, moe... catch a pit fiend by the toe..." and ends up choosing the hallway on the left. Walking as stealthily as he can, he makes his way down and pops his head around the corner, seeing what he can see.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

Somewhat satisfied with the elf's analysis, Lyral approaches the structure, looking for an entrance in the weathered stone. His step is sure, but wary.
    You find it is quite easy to get inside, as the wall is shorter than you are. It is a mostly empty stone circle, but...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Search check please.

Algrith, looking at his companions for second before turning back to the two choices, mumbles "Eni, meni, mini, moe... catch a pit fiend by the toe..." and ends up choosing the hallway on the left. Walking as stealthily as he can, he makes his way down and pops his head around the corner, seeing what he can see.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
    |----
    +..@|
    |--.|
      |.|
      |.|
      |.|
      |.|     |.|
      |.|-----|.|
      |.........|
      -----@-----
          |@|

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

As Lyral takes his first tentative steps into the structure, he takes a moment to examine his surroundings. As far as he is able, the hunter can sense no danger in the circle, but this would not be Lyral's first mistake.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+4)[20]
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-07-11 at 09:16 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

As Lyral takes his first tentative steps into the structure, he takes a moment to examine his surroundings. As far as he is able, the hunter can sense no danger in the circle, but this would not be Lyral's first mistake.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: [roll0]
    Out of the corner of your eye, you spot a wooden panel. Closer examination reveals it to be a trapdoor.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

Making sure his companions are following, Algrith opens the door and prepares to deal with whatever lurks on the other side.