New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1989
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

Fingers (and thumbs) crossed that the nine day streak is on! Loving the strips so far.

Also, are there any other mystery rewards still to be announced?
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sam79 View Post
    Fingers (and thumbs) crossed that the nine day streak is on! Loving the strips so far.

Also, are there any other mystery rewards still to be announced?
    Well, there's the one that's still a mystery.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #1443

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Well, there's the one that's still a mystery.
    Thanks. I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure if I'd missed an annoucement somewhere along the line.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    The use of "probably" can function positively. However, especially when in conjunction with traits attributable to a person (probably has enough self-control, can probably wait), it explicitly highlights the uncertainty and doubt aspect as well. Someone doesn't "probably have enough self-control" if we feel certain, they simply have enough self-control. The "probably" raises the possibility that they don't and actually places emphasis on the doubt. In the case of attributable traits, as above, it's very easy to read the use of "probably" as an indicator of sarcasm by way of calling attention to that doubt and uncertainty inherent in the word.

Hope that helps.
    Makes sense, but still, in light of Rich's own past statements about how buffers don't work for him, surely you realize that the "polite assumption" that Rich will obviously always have enough self-control to repress his perfectionist urges and refrain from any touching of his ever-growing buffer of ready strips just flies in the face of the facts that we have.

Hence, the "probably", for this special case.

But I do see his point now 100% and thanks for taking the time to expand on it. ;)
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Please divert this discussion away from both Rich's work ethic/practices and semantics.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a question: Rich said that the PDF stories would probably end up in printed form at some point. I was wondering if it might be in a Kickstarter-themed compilation, and if so, if it might include the update comics (which I really enjoyed during the kickstarter), or if they will always stay a Kickstarter-only thing?
    I'm talking about the comics that kept track of the amount pledged, and announced new goals, etc.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

He said they'd probably end up as bonus material in various compilations; last I remember him talking about it, there were no plans for a dedicated book of Kickstarter comics. That's not to say he'll never change his mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

8. - Top - End - #1448

I know the Giant is attempting his "9 straight comics"; what # does 877 count as?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Sammael, Aasimar Blackguard

Avys by Neoseph07

Astaroth, Human Lich Dragon Disciple

Jophiel, Gray Elf Mystic Theurge

<--Naamah Vampire Illusionist

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vemynal View Post
    I know the Giant is attempting his "9 straight comics"; what # does 877 count as?
    Seven.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Are we allowed to let Rich off the hook for "nine straight days" if it takes him, say, ten? Nobody wants him to knock himself out trying to hit a twenty-four-hour deadline, right?

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    Are we allowed to let Rich off the hook for "nine straight days" if it takes him, say, ten? Nobody wants him to knock himself out trying to hit a twenty-four-hour deadline, right?
    At the risk of discussing past comic schedule, when Rich was doing the once-a-day reward during the Kickstarter drive, he said something about "It's not the next day until I go to sleep". This from a man with a very strange sleep cycle. . In other words, there was a gap of about 1 and 3/4ths days at least once but it still counted as part of 'the streak'.

So this late in the day if the one-a-day slips (part of/more than) a day or so, I don't think it should matter. But, ultimately, it's Rich's call to make not ours. Nor really to discuss.

And so saying that, that is all I am comfortable talking about here.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-03-04 at 06:17 PM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    I think Rich is the only person who will get to decide if he has met his expectations or not.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Seven.
    Intersting, which would imply two more - and Rich has mentioned elsewhere that he had the Malack/Durkon battle in mind when he originally mentioned the "nine in a row" concept, then hinted that something really big happens during that stretch (in response to someone's question, he said "ask me again when the nine days is over"). Obviously "big" has already happened but this makes me doubly curious to see what the "final" two entries have in store. Sure seems like the good guys are in trouble the likes of which two comics won't be enough to undo.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kilrathi View Post
    Intersting, which would imply two more - and Rich has mentioned elsewhere that he had the Malack/Durkon battle in mind when he originally mentioned the "nine in a row" concept, then hinted that something really big happens during that stretch (in response to someone's question, he said "ask me again when the nine days is over"). Obviously "big" has already happened but this makes me doubly curious to see what the "final" two entries have in store. Sure seems like the good guys are in trouble the likes of which two comics won't be enough to undo.
    I'd expect to be things getting worse, if anything - specifically along the lines of Team Evil finally showing up.

15. - Top - End - #1455

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I'd expect to be things getting worse, if anything - specifically along the lines of Team Evil finally showing up.
    If he ends with 9-in-a-row arc with X and co showing up to battle, the suspense will flat-out kill me.
    !

16. - Top - End - #1456

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kilrathi View Post
    I have a guess, and if it pans out that way then we could get an end-of-book cliffhanger after the nine strips. In that case, the nine-in-a-row would be the ramp up to a between-book hiatus.

Just a guess, though.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jere7my View Post
    I have a guess, and if it pans out that way then we could get an end-of-book cliffhanger after the nine strips. In that case, the nine-in-a-row would be the ramp up to a between-book hiatus.

Just a guess, though.
    I don't know about 'hiatus', but, yes, I'm getting an end-of-the-book vibe as well. Or 'very VERY close to the end of the book' vibe.

18. - Top - End - #1458

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    I don't know about 'hiatus', but, yes, I'm getting an end-of-the-book vibe as well. Or 'very VERY close to the end of the book' vibe.
    Well, my specific theory didn't last long — I guessed today's strip would be Durkon meeting with Thor in Asgard, then getting sucked back to earth against his will, to end tomorrow's strip (and the book) with a panel very much like the last panel of 878.

We could still be leading up to the end of the book, I suppose.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I'm half expecting today's strip to be Malack and Durkon walking away from the pyramid together, leaving their "allies" to their own devices, and ending the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Now that they're over, I'd just like to take a moment to stop by and express my gratitude to Rich for the 9-in-a-row strips.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED - Sir Thumb Proves His Valor to All

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Out of curiosity, what made you want to pick this sequence in particular to do the "update a day" special?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Ask me again when it's over.
    Well, I suppose it should be apparent now why this was sequence was so special, but I'm still curious if there's more to it.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Well, I suppose it should be apparent now why this was sequence was so special, but I'm still curious if there's more to it.
    Well, basically, not only was it a very dramatic sequence, but one where I wanted to minimize the amount of speculation by readers between each page. The best way to do that is to put them out quickly, so everyone had less time to theorize. If I had released them as normal, I probably would have combined 876 and 877, and 878 and 879 into two double-pagers, to preserve as much suspense as possible. But I like them better this way, because it gives Durkon's death a whole page to itself, so the feeling focuses on him dying and not the fact that Malack out-grappled him on the previous page.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Colossus in the Playground

Thank you. And yes, it is much better this way. Heh, I don't think it did much to thin the epileptic trees though.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Perfectly understandable. (Plus it was funny to watch the daily theories and counter-theories as the tide of battle swung with each strip )
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thumbs up Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    Plus it was funny to watch the daily theories and counter-theories as the tide of battle swung with each strip
    Indeed - I haven't visited the forums this often since the Kickstarter!

'twas quite a ride, these 9 days; thank you, Giant!

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Really enjoyed the 9 in a row and this was a great sequence for it.

Thanks.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was at a local gaming/trinkets store the other day. I hadn't been there in a few months for various reasons, but I was in the area so I dropped in. Walking over to check out their D&D book section I saw a few familiar spines peeking out from the secondary shelf. They had every single OotS book in stock. In all my years of coming to this store they had never had OotS books before. They even had the OotS game tucked in the back near their D&D miniatures selection. It was really cool to see the real reward of the Kickstarter, which was getting this awesome story on shelves for more people to discover.
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Orc in the Playground

Hi,
    Just wanted to say thanks. I got my pack of goodies yesterday. One of the items was a "patience" signed book, so that's why I'm just getting them now. Well worth the wait, thanks.
    Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club
    -- Lothos now Half Orc in playground, other half also Orc --

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I just got my patience package as well! The topmost note had come off the note block in transit, but I think I can forgive that --everything else absolutely flawless. Not bad for something that's undergone a several thousand mile journey!