New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP - Part 21: BLACKJACK!

Promise us you'll look after yourself while you're not online.

Promise.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I think in New York *snip*
    16 to own knives here. Not quite sure about buying one? Bought mine in Virginia, where the laws probably 'over 8,' when I was 17.

Also Asta (and everyone, really)--I saw Natalie Reed's most recent blog post (about us!) and is awesome.
    Last edited by blackfox; 2012-02-24 at 10:47 AM.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Keveak
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

That always confused me as well. Why is dude masculine? Doesn't dude mean, literally, an infected hair on an elephant's arse? Hm. I suspect not, cursory look shows it comes from German for fool. Fool is pretty gender neutral isn't it?

*snip*

Dunno. Man originally was used in the same way as human, wasn't it? You could just use man as acknowledgement that the person is considered a person, and on equal footing with you.
    I meant to say this when Keveak brought it up, but something happened and I got distracted; then it got brought up again and just as I was about to hit send, the nigh hurricane force winds outside knocked my electricity out. Wah-wah-wah. Anyway, what a word used to mean or what a word "actually" means don't matter in a modern context. Turnip could have meant "a genitial wart" 300 years ago, and using that definition today would be a misuse of the word. The question that should get raised isn't what it ought to mean, but rather how people use it. Is a commonly accepted definition of dude and man "a human the speaker is on even footing with"? Where I'm from it can be used like that without raising any eyebrows, but it's also commonly used with tongue in cheek when it's clearly not addressing a man.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    16 to own knives here. Not quite sure about buying one? Bought mine in Virginia, where the laws probably 'over 8,' when I was 17.

Also Asta (and everyone, really)--I saw Natalie Reed's most recent blog post (about us!) and is awesome.
    Huh. Well, we have some silly law about needing to be eighteen to buy box cutters because we're scared of terrorism or something. I might be mixing NY and MA up for the pocket-knives things because I go to school in MA and I know you need to be eighteen to buy a knife in MA. (Last year I had to buy a knife for my roommate because he wasn't eighteen. He's older than I am.)
    Jude P.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

On a completely random note, hey, KenderWizard, I just remembered that I made friends with a 3.2 billion year old rock a while back. Isn't that neat? :D
    OHMYGOSH THAT'S SO COOL! Where? Was it in Canada? They've got some sweet cratonic continental shield crust up there. Was it a gneiss? Was it a nice gneiss? I bet it was super-metamorphosed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    *snip*
    Anyway, what a word used to mean or what a word "actually" means don't matter in a modern context. Turnip could have meant "a genitial wart" 300 years ago, and using that definition today would be a misuse of the word. The question that should get raised isn't what it ought to mean, but rather how people use it. Is a commonly accepted definition of dude and man "a human the speaker is on even footing with"? Where I'm from it can be used like that without raising any eyebrows, but it's also commonly used with tongue in cheek when it's clearly not addressing a man.
    I was about to say the same thing, in reply to SiuiS. Language is made by people, and constantly changed by people, and that's what it's for. We use it for what we need words for right now, and words drop out and come in and change meaning, sometimes over and over again. Since "dude", "guy" and especially "man" are primarily used to mean "male (likely teen or older) human", that's what they mean now. It doesn't matter if (hypothetically) "man" originally meant "the girliest female girl-woman you ever saw doing womanly girl things" and was applied ironically, or spread out and got applied elsewhere. It means what it means now.

I would be happy if "man" and "men" became gender neutral and people used "were" and "wif" or "wer" and "wo" or whatever prefixes or suffixes they liked. But unless almost everyone uses "man" to mean "person" and almost everyone uses the other markers, until then it's gendered male as default. And it's the same, except less hypothetical, with "dude" (and "guys"). Since most people use and understand it to mean "male person", that's what it means. You can't fully use it in a gender-neutral way, since your audience is quite likely to be interpreting it as meaning a male person. I mean, you can use it any way you like, but unless you make it clear, other people aren't going to assume the less prevalent meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Broken record - I'm feeling worse and won't be posting much over the next week or so.
    Asta, don't you dare make me have to make you another card!

*hugs* Feel better and look after yourself.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Broken record - I'm feeling worse and won't be posting much over the next week or so.
    Asta, please feel better. We're all rooting for you, we really are.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

*Hugs Asta*

Feel better soon, and may the card KenderWizard made help you smile.

edit: that's good to hear, Asta. But even if you only have slight troubles, we can still offer you digital hugs if you'd like some
    Last edited by Caustic Soda; 2012-02-24 at 01:53 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

Neat-looking avatar by Ninja Chocobo.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

I'm nowhere near as bad as I was last time. I just need some time to recover from a few things that happened.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    Yea, well that film certainly couldn't have helped.
    Found it.

*hugs* Get well soon.
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    *snip*
    Right. I'm going to keep misusing it, though.

I'm nowhere near as bad as I was last time. I just need some time to recover from a few things that happened.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2012-02-24 at 03:52 PM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

11. - Top - End - #131

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Dare I ask? What exactly is a penguin pebble?

Ooo ooo something I know the answer to! ...I think.

Did you see Happy Feet? Anyway, some kinds of penguins give pebbles to their sweehearts.

12. - Top - End - #132

*Hugs* We're here for you, man.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

13. - Top - End - #133
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Good luck, Asta.
    Quote Originally Posted by THAC0 View Post

Did you see Happy Feet? Anyway, some kinds of penguins give pebbles to their sweehearts.
    As long as we don't go into an in-depth discussion of the Don Bluth Movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by THAC0 View Post

Oh wow, that is so adorable! I gave a pebble to my sweetheart once... #geologistsrock

In other news, apparently some rich poopy heads in my university want to set up a circle jerk frat house. This makes me sad.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by H Birchgrove View Post
    Found it.

*hugs* Get well soon.
    ...Yea, that'd do it. That film had a few problems.

*Hugs Asta* Take care of yourself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    I just resonated with the roof of my mouth. That's halfway to the feminine range!

*Hugsplosion*

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Oh yeah, missed this. Yes, I think I will. I've been wearing blouses and women's jeans in public for a while, and I've now started shaving and applying foundation every day. From there, well, all that's needed to project "girl" is breasts and a high ponytail. It's surprised me how little I need to change to swap between female and feminine. I suppose my day to day presentation has been reasonably androgynous for a while, I just haven't noticed as I tend to see a guy in the mirror unless the female presentation is quite overt.

I have an MtF friend who doesn't use her chesticles any more, so I'm hoping to borrow them soon.
    That's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBobJoe View Post
    So... I have a few things that I would like to get off my chest, so I'll put them in a spoiler.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since I was about... 13, I've always been a little odd about my gender, having occasional bouts of SUDDENLY WRONG BODY, and would randomly go back and forth between cis and trans, ie gender fluidity. Lately, I've been 'settling out' so to speak, on a female gender identity. Sexuality-wise, I'm primarily asexual, but I will have random bouts of bisexuality some days. Anyways, onto the issue. One of my female friends has a huge thing for me (and has for a while), and we were sort of a 'thing'. I do like her quite a bit, but I don't have quite the level of feelings for her as she does for me. I do want to pursue a relationship with her, but I know for a fact that she's straight, and her family is highly religious. So I'm really worried about this, and don't have an idea on how to work with this... My sexuality/gender-identity has never really come up between us, though half the people I know think that I'm gay, or at least bi (which, really, is a perfectly acceptable assessment, considering the frequency that I hit on guys, and not all that untruthful ), including her for a while, and I'm very reluctant to bring it up, as I don't really know how she'll react...
    Gender woes suck. :s
    Sexuality is fluid though, so, you never know, you know?

Re: Dude
    I feel it depends on the context; but the common use of it is still gendered, so I wouldn't use it in a gender-neutral context myself unless under friends / people who are aware of that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So, therapist meeting went well. Got quite emotional, but I think it was a productive talk. Now I have time to finally go clothes shopping before my next meeting. >.>
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137

NecromancerGuy

I'll just lea-

In other news, apparently some rich poopy heads in my university want to set up a circle jerk frat house. This makes me sad.
    -wait, what the hell?
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the link coidzor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.

19. - Top - End - #139

NecromancerGuy

Well, you know, above my paygrade and all that jazz.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #140

OHMYGOSH THAT'S SO COOL! Where? Was it in Canada? They've got some sweet cratonic continental shield crust up there. Was it a gneiss? Was it a nice gneiss? I bet it was super-metamorphosed!
    Uhh. I can't remember where it was from; my Bio prof passed it around in class last semester, and because I sat way up at the back, I was the last one to get it and I held onto it for the period. But yeah, it was really neat. Kind of awe-inspiring to think that things can last that long and be real and tangible.

*hugs*
    Want to talk about it? Would that help?

Oh wow, that is so adorable! I gave a pebble to my sweetheart once... #geologistsrock
    That's kind of adorable.
    I used to carry a broken-off piece of the big rock on the corner where I confessed to my ex.

Ew. I'll sign the petition against this.
    Jude P.

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    So, therapist meeting went well. Got quite emotional, but I think it was a productive talk. Now I have time to finally go clothes shopping before my next meeting. >.>
    *Hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    It is so hard not to (vicariously) cuss those girls out... So. ******. Hard.

I'm not sure if I' be able to contribute anything other than *hugs* and quite a bit of sympathy... I hope things turn out okay. :/
    Thanks for existing.

22. - Top - End - #142

...Yea, that'd do it. That film had a few problems.
    You've seen it?

Spoiler
    Show
    When I saw it, I didn't think so much about the "gunsel", apart from "well, this wasn't a positive portrayal of gays", though I later reflected more on it. The Asian-Americans seemed to there to give an exotic ambiance like the pulp novels of that period, though the Asian woman who was involved in the case had a genuinely tragic background, IIRC. Then again, I feel I know too little about the Tongs and Chinatowns IRL to give a fair assessment.

I just realised how little I remember of the plot.

Are *all* university fraternities (in UK and USA) like those in films and popular culture? (We don't really have those here; our student associations generally have both male and female members.)

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Yay! Glad to hear it finally went all right for you (more or less).
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

23. - Top - End - #143

NecromancerGuy

Are *all* university fraternities (in UK and USA) like those in films and popular culture?
    Very few fraternities, even the ones that party, really approach the depths of pop cultural frattishness. Then there's the fraternities which don't party, the academic fraternities which are completely different animals to the Old Boys' club, the female fraternities that we call sororities except for the one or two that do call themselves female fraternities, and the campuses where the percentage of people on campus involved in so-called "Greek Life" exceeds 50% without the demographics of the university being any different from any other university aside from the proportion of "greek" to non-greek.

So, no, *all* fraternities are not media exaggerations of the worst of the bunch.

Not all women think the same, either, and that tired old lie comes up a heck of a whole lot more often than pop cultural frattishness.

Hence my question with its implied desire for illumination, elucidation, or even just some more details for clarity's sake.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-02-25 at 12:01 AM.
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

on frats: I'll just say that the ones near my school were called "Rapehouse" for a reason, and that no, the university didn't really step in to do anything.

Because evidently frats are sacrosanct there.

You've seen it?

Spoiler
    Show
    When I saw it, I didn't think so much about the "gunsel", apart from "well, this wasn't a positive portrayal of gays", though I later reflected more on it. The Asian-Americans seemed to there to give an exotic ambiance like the pulp novels of that period, though the Asian woman who was involved in the case had a genuinely tragic background, IIRC. Then again, I feel I know too little about the Tongs and Chinatowns IRL to give a fair assessment.

I just realised how little I remember of the plot.
    Once. A while back.

More than that would take much longer to discuss.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145

Aaaand depressed again. I hoped I'd at least see it coming this time, but in all fairness I probably should have.

What's more, dysphoria's changed up a bit... There are no words to describe the itching. >:/
    Thanks for existing.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to spoiler (I KEEP TYING "SPOILDER" THAT'S NOT A WORD!) the frat house discussion, because it's fairly off topic and also, ugh.
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't know all the details or how exaggerated the story I heard was, but the gist seems to be that a group of rich guys who are all friends and who "share common interests, such as fine dining, horseracing and automobiles" (who says "automobiles" in Ireland?) have decided they should make a frat house, with a link to a snooty US frat house. The aim of this house will be for upper-class rich white young men to meet other upper-class rich white young men, and older men, without the terrible impositions of poor people and/or women, except maybe some pretty girls as quote "arm candy". It will function as a networking thing so that poor people and women don't get the same opportunities as the clearly more deserving rich white men when it comes to making contacts with people in business. Sorry, men in business. Who are rich, and white.

There are a few points to make here.
    1) People are allowed to do what they like, but they are not allowed to use the name of the college or have a college-affiliated group without following rules and coming under the remit of one of the capitated bodies. The capitated bodies don't allow groups who put restrictions on entry. For example, the Muslim Student Society is not exclusive to students who are Muslim.
    2) I would still have a problem with the rich-people club if it wasn't explicitly sexist.
    3) I would still have a problem with an explicitly sexist club (obviously!) if it wasn't implicitly classist. (You need to contribute money to join and the idea is to have meetings in fancy restaurants and at the races and stuff.)
    4) From what I can tell, the idea of Greek Houses (which I don't have an inherent problem with, I've just heard so so many rape stories from them, and also, why are they still so much gender segregated?) is instead of student societies. If you want to be a rich douche, just join the Buisness Society (or whatever) and go to fancy restaurants with your rich friends. Don't push it in everyone's face.
    5) Seriously, WTF?!

Uhh. I can't remember where it was from; my Bio prof passed it around in class last semester, and because I sat way up at the back, I was the last one to get it and I held onto it for the period. But yeah, it was really neat. Kind of awe-inspiring to think that things can last that long and be real and tangible.

That's kind of adorable.
    I used to carry a broken-off piece of the big rock on the corner where I confessed to my ex.
    That's so cool! I've met meteorites, similarly old rocks, and thin sections of moon rocks!

Aw, that's adorable too!

27. - Top - End - #147
    Halfling in the Playground

on frats: I'll just say that the ones near my school were called "Rapehouse" for a reason, and that no, the university didn't really step in to do anything.

Because evidently frats are sacrosanct there.
    And this is how frats get a bad name.
    Ugh I hatte it when unversities don't prevent things like this. Rape culture makes me angry.
    Last edited by Copper; 2012-02-25 at 10:11 AM.
    Lovely avatar thanks to Akrim.elf!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry, but I don't think I'll ever get closer than a handful kilometers interval near that place.
    WHAT THE FRAG IS WRONG WITH THEM
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

29. - Top - End - #149

I'm going to spoiler (I KEEP TYPING "SPOILDER" THAT'S NOT A WORD!) the frat house discussion, because it's fairly off topic and also, ugh.
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't know all the details or how exaggerated the story I heard was, but the gist seems to be that a group of rich guys who are all friends and who "share common interests, such as fine dining, horseracing and automobiles" (who says "automobiles" in Ireland?) have decided they should make a frat house, with a link to a snooty US frat house. The aim of this house will be for upper-class rich white young men to meet other upper-class rich white young men, and older men, without the terrible impositions of poor people and/or women, except maybe some pretty girls as quote "arm candy". It will function as a networking thing so that poor people and women don't get the same opportunities as the clearly more deserving rich white men when it comes to making contacts with people in business. Sorry, men in business. Who are rich, and white.

There are a few points to make here.
    1) People are allowed to do what they like, but they are not allowed to use the name of the college or have a college-affiliated group without following rules and coming under the remit of one of the capitated bodies. The capitated bodies don't allow groups who put restrictions on entry. For example, the Muslim Student Society is not exclusive to students who are Muslim.
    2) I would still have a problem with the rich-people club if it wasn't explicitly sexist.
    3) I would still have a problem with an explicitly sexist club (obviously!) if it wasn't implicitly classist. (You need to contribute money to join and the idea is to have meetings in fancy restaurants and at the races and stuff.)
    4) From what I can tell, the idea of Greek Houses (which I don't have an inherent problem with, I've just heard so so many rape stories from them, and also, why are they still so much gender segregated?) is instead of student societies. If you want to be a rich douche, just join the Business Society (or whatever) and go to fancy restaurants with your rich friends. Don't push it in everyone's face.
    5) Seriously, WTF?!

That's so cool! I've met meteorites, similarly old rocks, and thin sections of moon rocks!

Aw, that's adorable too!
    Yeah, I definitely disapprove of this frat. But seeing as they're rich they'll probably get around that first rule you mentioned, where college-affiliated groups can't be exclusive. So is it, like, 1950 over there? Or maybe the early 1800s? There is so much wrong with that kind of world view in this day and age.
    I am slightly tempted to look in on some frats when I transfer next semester, just to see what they're like firsthand. I've heard too many rape/hazing/accidental murder stories about frats. (But really I just want to get in a fight with at least a dozen guys at once in my first week of school. Why else would I do something like go to a frat house?)

Rocks are pretty neat. Geology seems like a good field for meeting a lot of different rocks.
    Jude P.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    Aaaand depressed again. I hoped I'd at least see it coming this time, but in all fairness I probably should have.

What's more, dysphoria's changed up a bit... There are no words to describe the itching. >:/
    I know that feel bro sis. Don't really know how to fix it though.

~