New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Vystera Jewels

Kurt nods in agreement with them. "Indeed. We can prove our worth to each other by keeping a good watch tonight." Hopping off his pony, he ties it to a tree and goes through the tedious process of making his little camp, grooming the pony, fixing up his tent and helping the others with theirs.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam is thankful to Kurt for helping her set the tent.

After brushing and feeding Thunder, her horse, she shares her meal with her new companions.

When it is time to retire and rest, she will take the first shift. If it goes without problem, she will then wake up Kurt.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt brushes aside her thanks with an awkward murmur that it was nothing at all, before clearing his throat and properly acknowledging thanks as he'd been thought to do. He didn't do well with any sort of praise, even as small as a thank you.

"Get some rest, then, I'll wake you when you need to take the watch. I doubt there'll be any trouble but I can yell pretty loudly when I need to."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

"Thank you kind dwarf for taking first shift."

Miriam goes inside her tent, says her prayers and go to sleep.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt sets himself to keeping alert through his watch, patrolling the edge of the camp regularly, keeping away from the fire so it doesn't blind him.

Spoiler
    Show

I couldn't remember whether or not you're doing passive rolls so here is listen and spot, respectively.
    (1d20)[16]
    (1d20)[4]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

OOC: The rolls are good, if you had forgotten I would have rolled for you.

Vaylindal - Countryside

The party falls asleep, all except Kurt, who finds nothing of interest in the first hour of searching. However, just barely over the tips of some trees, he makes out among the clouds a plume of smoke about seventy yards to the east.
    abcde

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam is sleeping soundly, dreaming of a better with Calric at her side, healing sick farmers and delivering babies.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt frowns in that direction for a few moments, trying to decide whether or not it's just another cloud or not. As soon as he's certain it's not, he turns and starts yelling, going from one tent to the other.

"Wake up! Wake up the two of you there's a fire not far off!" He goes to each tent, yelling into them if they're not awake.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny has always been quick to wake, and he's on his feet by the time Kurt finishes his sentence, almost firing an enchantment in Kurt's direction out of reflex.

Once he hears Kurt's exclamations and sees the smoke for himself, he relaxes. "Now, you had me worried for a moment!" he says, slapping Kurt on the back. "What's a little smoke?"

10. - Top - End - #70

RangerGuy

Vaylindal - Countryside

Shiny, despite only barely opening his eyes, quickly spots a robed human woman watching them through the bushes. Almost as soon as he sees her, she ducks into the leaves.
    abcde

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny recalls how startled the dwarf had been at the sight of the smoke. "Don't panic, Kurt," he says quietly, "but we're not alone."

He flashes a wide grin as he turns away from Kurt. "Hello there, friend!" he shouts into the bushes. "Why don't you come out and introduce yourself?"

"Whoever she is," he whispers out of the side of his mouth, "we want her out in the open."

12. - Top - End - #72

RangerGuy

As soon as Shiny beckons her, the woman steps out from the bushes. "It's okay, don't panic. My friend and I are staying there." She pointed in the direction she had just come from. "I saw your fire and wanted to know who was out there. We mean no harm."
    abcde

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm sure you don't, my lady!" says Shiny cheerfully. He takes a very deep bow. "Please allow me to introduce myself! I am Shiny Windwire, theoretical alchemist and lute craftsman! I'm afraid you're mistaken, though- that fire is not ours."
    Last edited by Admiral; 2012-04-06 at 11:53 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam gets up and comes out of the tent.

As she sees the situation unfolding, she approaches the woman, slightly pushing Shiny aside. "I am Miriam, servant of St. Cuthbert. Don't mind our gnome, he is an halfling lawyer".

She extends her hand while the other hold her holy symbol.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt chuckles at that, surprised to hear Miriam repeat what Shiny had told them even though she now knew him for a trickster. Maybe she didn't mind and in any case, he wasn't going to be the one to spoil it. Uneasily hefting his axe he eyes the newcomer warily, before setting the haft of the axe on the ground, his hands resting on top of it so he at least doesn't look like he'll go on a killing spree right that moment.

"I am Kurt Loderr, a fighter. And Shiny you must be blind, I've kept the embers going in the fire even now. Tis nice to have some warmth."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mithril- Human Wizard

"Halfling Lawyer? Odd profession but someone has to do it." Mithril wrinkled her forehead. Realizing she should tell the people who she was she continued "I am Mithril and my friend and I came from the city just now. We were afraid of being stuck there after they closed the gates."
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Colossus in the Playground

Natalia Bolts, Human Rogue

After observing the scene, Natalia steps out of the shadows. Whiskers hops off her shoulder and runs to her master. Natalia is holding her rapier in her left hand in a defensive stance--she won't attack first, but she's prepared to defend herself if necessary.

(The three others see a somewhat short and skinny girl with pale skin and stringy black hair tied back in a rough ponytail with a blue ribbon stand before you with a rapier in her left hand, drawn in a defensive stance. She is wearing a leather jacket over her clothes, cut up in the front and flaring out slightly in the back (it's hard to describe), and her pants are tucked into well-worn boots. Her jewelry is simple: a rope necklace with a single smooth black stone and what appears to be a very thinly carved copper bracelet on her left wrist, which goes quite far up her forearm.)
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-04-06 at 09:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny smiles when he sees Natalie walk out. "Come sit down! You have nothing to fear from us. We're on a diplomatic mission for the crown, making contact with some elves in the forest just south of here."

He spins around to set up the area around the campfire for his visitors and as he does, he whispers urgently to his two companions- Can't trust them yet- say nothing of the Jewels."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (Who and what is Whiskers?)

20. - Top - End - #80

Natalia glances warily at the gnome and crouches to the ground next to Mithril, still holding her rapier and ready to spring up at a moment's notice. Something doesn't sit quite right with the gnome's story, and as she looks upon the human and dwarf he is traveling with, she figures it out.

"If you're...diplomatic...then why no elves?"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

"If the crown were already friends with the elves, we wouldn't need a diplomatic mission, now, would we?" says Shiny, winking. "But why talk of politics and race when we have food to share!"
    Last edited by Admiral; 2012-04-06 at 10:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

She shakes her head in frustration; he just couldn't understand what she was trying to say. Taking a deep breath, Natalia tries again, pointing at each of them in turn and forcing out the words she wants to say through the myriad jumble of half-sentences and thoughts.

"Gnome. Human. Dwarf. Where's the elf?"

23. - Top - End - #83

Oh, right. You had to introduce yourself. That made you seem less...less...Nuts.

"Natalia," she says as she points to herself. "And you?"

(And yes, Natalia's nickname is Nuts. Hopefully it should be rapidly becoming clear why.)

24. - Top - End - #84

Mithril

"Forgive my friend, she can be a little hard to understand sometimes. We are simply traveling to a village around here. There was an attack in the city this afternoon and we did not want to be stuck inside. Did you hear of it?" Mithril wondered if these people were on a diplomatic mission, they seemed an odd bunch with little experience talking to nobility. Still wary she tried to appear calm. Picking up Whiskers she set him on her shoulder whispering into his ear"Good boy, everything is okay."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

"Nice to meet you, Natalia! I'm Shiny Hawkeye, archer and hippogriff butcher.

"In answer to your question- while the kingdom has many allegiances, none in the royal circle of trust are of elven descent. The king seeks to remedy this by sending us, a humble band of servants to the crown, to establish diplomatic relations with the wood elves who live a few days south of here."

Shiny then turns to Mithril. "I must admit our knowledge and indeed our involvement. We were among those loyal citizens who resisted the attackers and brought them to justice."
    Last edited by Admiral; 2012-04-06 at 11:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Natalia's eyes widen. "That's amazing...and...now traveling to warn them?" She turns to Mithril. "Would they know about, or have..." Natalia points to the stone necklace around her neck and mimes that it's a much larger and more valuable stone instead...perhaps a jewel...

27. - Top - End - #87

"Theoretical alchemist, lute craftsman, halfling lawyer, archer and hippogriff butcher? Either you are a man of many talents and names Mr. Windwire Hawkeye or I have some trouble believing what you say." Mithril was amused by the gnome in front of her, he sounded just like her brothers, never sticking with the same story.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

If Shiny knows what Natalia is referring to, he doesn't show it. "Why, no, not to warn them- our diplomatic mission has been planned for some time, and is unrelated to the attack. And whatever do you mean about your necklace?"
    Last edited by Admiral; 2012-04-06 at 11:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny smiles back at Mithril. "While I like to think I have a few talents, I don't think I ever said such things (a lute craftsman, indeed?) But if there has been a mistake I am sure that it was mine!"

"Anyway, we know you were traveling from the city, but where to?"
    Last edited by Admiral; 2012-04-06 at 11:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

Mithril shakes her head at Natalia, "She thought she saw a necklace like hers during the attack in the city, but nicer. All she wants to know is if you saw the vendor leave the city around the same time you did."