New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Vystera Jewels

Natalia Bolts, Human Rogue

He shifts too much, the gnome. Natalia isn't sure she likes him much. She glances at Mithril, then the other three people. "Why attack the princess? Then? There?" It had been bothering her all day, and maybe now she'd get some answers.

(And I'm off to bed.)
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-04-06 at 11:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

"A village, two days off. Natalia knows the location, I believe she may know someone there. I just wanted to explore outside the gates for once, there is so much to learn out here. You say you are traveling to the Elves lands? Do you need a translator, I speak the language." She looked at the group, wary of their actual reason for being out here. The gnome had made her want to learn more of their actual objectives.
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

3. - Top - End - #93

She nods and says, "Me too." Then Natalia leans close to Mithril and whispers, "Elves may know something...Would these?" She doesn't believe a word Shiny the too-shiny gnome says, but elves live a long time and they may be a good place to find out more. At least, that's where Natalia's train of thought leaves. The actual process is much more...tangled.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-04-07 at 07:46 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam listens to the conversation between Shiny and the two woman before stepping in.

"Natalia, Mithril, please pay little attention to what Shiny say. Half of it is around and the other half is invented. It is an entertaining show but trying to keep up of all Shiny's fake stories will drive you insane."

She stops and hesitate before adding "We have no business with the elves as you have easily figure out. We are in a mission for the crowd related to today's attack on Our Grace. There is interest in the jewel that the Princess was wearing. We are just trying to figure out what is so special about them .... "

She stops and looks at the two women with a big friendly smile .....
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

5. - Top - End - #95

Natalia nods. "Masks on masks, until you suffocate." At Miriam's second statement, she yelps, then turns to Mithril and practically shouts, "Blue princess dragon gem!"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-04-07 at 12:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam is confused about the first statement and she hears the second statement shouted, she looks at Natalia then Mithril.

"What do you mean? What do you know? What side are you on?"
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

Natalia starts to blurt out random words at the sudden interrogation. Pointing to Mithril, she finally manages to say, "Don't know...She told...Keys! The jewels are keys?"

8. - Top - End - #98

"Its a legend from a book I read, the Vystera Jewels are the keys to a dragon's prison. They were hidden in crypts of their own to prevent the dragon from ever escaping. I was just wondering why a secret key that was supposed to be hidden where no-one could find it was around the princesses neck. It just doesn't seem as safe." Mithril realized that she was starting to get used to Natalia's speech idiosyncrasies. Miriam looked trustworthy, she had read of clerics before and although mystified as to how they worked she respected them.

9. - Top - End - #99

Natalia grins at Mithril's statement. Or rather, the fact that she understood what the rogue was trying to say. And Natalia had mostly figured why the jewel was so visible, and why they were scattered. At least, she hoped she did. It was something she would do in a trap, after all. "...Disguises. Redundancies," she explains. "Hide on the door, not in the dungeon. Break one bond, the bridge still holds."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam tries to make sense of Natalia speech but she shakes her head as she cannot really understand it.

Mithril is easier to understand. "So the jewels are keeping a dragon prisoner? Why would someone would be trying to free it. That is why she was attacked. To get the jewel. Tell me more about that dragon and prison."

She looks at the two women. "Feel free to share my tent if you do not have one. I am next on the watch once Kurt needs to rest."
    Last edited by achinca; 2012-04-07 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101

Mithril realized she had left her pack back at her original campsite. She did not want to leave it there, who knows who would find it."I believe my pack is still at our campsite, along with my bedroll. I was so pre-occupied with finding out who you where that I did not take it with me. Would someone walk back with me to get it? I would go alone but we are rather close to the forest."

12. - Top - End - #102

She rises to her feet. "Won't go far." (It's only a couple minutes away).

As they walk, Natalia says, "...You're a wizard." It's dark out, but her expression is one of respect and longing.

13. - Top - End - #103

"Of course I am. What other excuse would I have for spending most of my time in libraries. Its not all people say, I had to work for a year before I figured out how to cast a simple spell without something going wrong. What did you think I was?" As they reached the campsite Mithril rolled up her bedroll and stowed it in her pack, after making sure everything was still there. "Lets head back now, don't want them to worry. Trust me, sometimes I think it was more work then gain."

14. - Top - End - #104

Natalia wrings her hands, then hunches over with folded arms. "...They never let me tinker with the world. 'Touched in the head to start, and you want to let Nuts learn spells?'"

...Snared rabbits, but never spellbooks."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

As soon as Mithril and Natalia are out of earshot, Shiny turns to his allies. ""So I'm sure we're all thinking the same thing- why are they asking all these questions about the jewels? So what do you think- new friends, or dangerous villains in league with this morning's attackers? I could put them to sleep and tie them up if we have to."

16. - Top - End - #106

"Nuts? Whose nuts? A squirrels? Mithril saw the look on Natalia's face, and tried to make her feel better. Playing with magic can't feed me out here, you have more skills in that. I am useless if I can't survive, you can still tinker and notice things."

Realizing they would be within earshot of the other people soon she hurriedly whispered "I don't know if these people were really sent by the king, they lied to us at first and may still be. It may be best if we didn't mention the Jewels until we know that they aren't in league with the people who attacked the princess."
    Last edited by Athedia; 2012-04-07 at 07:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

A faint smile appears on her face. "May be Nuts, but I'm not nuts. Could you...teach me?"

When Mithril whispers, Natalia whispers back, "Cat's already out, walking about."

(OOC: This is why Natalia has no points in Use Magic Device to start with.)

18. - Top - End - #108

"The fewer cats the better, let them think that we don't have any more interest in it. I don't know about teaching, I just mastered the basics a few years ago, I could try." As Mithril drew near the campfire she held up her pack "It was just as I left it. I guess I worry over nothing." Pulling out her bedroll she prepared her bed again."Lets try this again shall we." she muttered as she settled down into the bed, Whiskers settling down on her pack.

19. - Top - End - #109

Natalia nods, says, "Won't hurt you," to the other three, and after a while falls asleep, her left hand still grasping the rapier in case she needs to wake up quickly.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam is ready to go walk with the other two women but by the time she puts her armor on, the women already left. She looks at Kurt and Shiny with a sad face.

When Shiny questions which side they are on, she shakes her head. "They are not on the bad side. If they were following us, they did a terrible job being discrete. I think that they might be two adventuring friends with a taste for jewels."

She stops and asks Kurt "Is it my shift time?"
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt had been dead silent after introducing himself, shifting from foot to foot as the conversation had gone on, anxious about the lies being told and then even more anxious when Miriam states the truth right out. Only once they're gone does he relax enough to speak again.

"I think we should be wary of them but it'll be easier if they're under our nose than...who knows where."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Vaylindal - Countryside

The night quickly creeps up on the new group of five. They rotate through shifts throughout the night. At about midnight, Natalia hears two wolves howling at each other. Small animals race around on dry leaves throughout the night. Nothing intimidating - in the light that is - when the sun is down, every noise is a lethal threat. The party rests well despite the distractions, and soon the morning is upon them. Dew soaks the grass and the familiar hum of dragonflies and other flying bugs fills the air. The scary wolves are replaced with tranquil chirping birds. The new day has officially begun, and it is a beautiful, bright day. Not a cloud in the sky.
    abcde

23. - Top - End - #113

Natalia sits up slowly. She yawns, stretches, then looks at Mithril and the other woman sleeping next to her and remembers where she is. She waits a few minutes longer, tasting the new day's air, then whispers, "Mithril."
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-04-08 at 10:04 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

"Hmm?" Mithril sits up groggy. Looking around she realizes it is morning. She realized that it was Natalia who had woken her. "What is it Natalia?" Looking around for a comfortable spot, she looks through her bag for her spellbook, ready to meditate as soon as she could. She would have to adjust her normal spell list, the woods where no place for mending.

25. - Top - End - #115

"Slept in the lions den, woke with the cubs. ...Should we discuss cats?"

Whatever Natalia was going to say next is lost when she sees Mithril take out her spellbook. The rogue's eyes light up and she shuffles over closer, peering over Mithril's shoulder at the arcane writing. Her intent is obvious.

26. - Top - End - #116

Mithril smiles at the girls interest. "You can watch but I need to concentrate for a bit. The big downside to knowing magic is having to prepare it each day. Just stay quite, you can ask questions when I am finished." She opened her spellbook and sat cross-legged on her bedroll. Turning to the pages she wanted she stared at the symbols, reaching into her mind to unlock their meaning. This ritual had pre-occupied her mornings for years, it was as natural to her as yawning.

27. - Top - End - #117

It was like her and her designs. Natalia could get completely absorbed in a particularly intricate device or cunning trap, and only realize how much time had passed when she looked up from her drawings and saw that the sun had already started to set.

She stares at the different spells, seeing if there's anything that she can piece together on her own, even though she has no magical training, even though in her hometown the thought of Nuts with magic was terrifying enough that she barely saw a potion, much less a scroll.

Decipher Script: (d20+6)[24] (EDIT: Woah, nice!)
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-04-08 at 10:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny awakes the way he always does: by bouncing to his feet with a grin. He looks over at the wizard studying her spellbook. He'd known a number of gnome wizards, but the life had never appealed to him- all solemn tutelage and study. Besides, he'd mastered his magic without the need to carry a hefty tome around.

"Now, who is still asleep? Let's start with the dwarf." He nearly pounces onto Kurt, shaking him gently but enthusiastically. "Up and at 'em, soldier!"

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt blinks and rolls awake at the shoving, up and at attention in a moment's notice, blinking at the light and having to think for a moment to realise where he actually was. He laughs when he does, patting the gnome on the shoulder.

"Did you ever have to train fighters, Shiny? Maybe you're a bit too gentle for one but that's how mine would wake me, when he was in a good mood."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam awakes and she first surprised to see Natalia and Mithril the remember last night.

"Good morning ladies ..... May St Cuthbert bless your day"

She gets up and go find a place apart where she will go and pray.

When she returns, her eyes are puffy and dried tears are on her cheeks but she a strong smile on her face.

"This is a beautiful day to bring goodness to the realm ...."
    Spoiler
    Show