New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: I think the building I am in is on fire...

Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Chainsaw and fires, sounds exotic!
    Flaming chainsaws!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Chaining flamesaws!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelab View Post
    Haha

Anyway when I saw the name of this thread I laughed. A guy's building is on fire and the first thing he does is post it on the internet
    this..my first thought was "just how much of a geek is this girl?"
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    a post about a fire in the building and it takes 28 posts before the IT crowd was mentioned...

And still no you tube vid...

For shame playgrounders. If i wasn't on a train i'd find & post it myself!
    Is it that? It's the first about fire I found:

It Crowd

Oh, and thanks for prodding me to IT Crowd, I'm intrigued.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35

I believe she lives in Sydney.
    Isnt that in the country where everything is either poisonous, dangerous, or sheep? Im just saying, that in that case, a small matter of flaming chainsaws isnt that big a deal. Grab a Fosters, and enjoy the show, I say. (Is that even a big brand in australia? Or is it pure mick dundee style stupidity?)
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you think maybe it's time to move? Fire, midnight chainsaws... I'm just throwing it out there.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Do you think maybe it's time to move? Fire, midnight chainsaws... I'm just throwing it out there.
    Due to all the chainsaws and fires, it's probably tricky to leave the building. Maybe she's just grinding levels until she's powerful enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Isnt that in the country where everything is either poisonous, dangerous, or sheep? Im just saying, that in that case, a small matter of flaming chainsaws isnt that big a deal. Grab a Fosters, and enjoy the show, I say. (Is that even a big brand in australia? Or is it pure mick dundee style stupidity?)
    I think I'll just stop trying to deny the stereotypes for a moment...
    I live on a farm and have to ride a horse to get to the front gate in order to collect the mail. When I'm not doing other things, I'm engaged in cattle herding and sheep shearing.
    Due to the likelihood of encountering deadly snakes, I regularly carry around a case full of anti-venoms. Fortunately, due to long term exposure, I'm mostly immune to the bites of most snakes.

The truth is, most Australians live in urban and suburban environments, and cannot ride horses or shear sheep. Very few Australians have actually encountered the death snakes people seem to think infest every corner of this country. They exist, but I've only seen them at reptile parks.
    Fosters is not at all a popular brand of beer here, I for one don't even drink.
    And New Zealand is the one with the sheep. Not saying we don't have them, but the stereotype applies to New Zealand.

Sorry for going on about it, but it just annoys me.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    I live on a farm and have to ride a horse to get to the front gate in order to collect the mail. When I'm not doing other things, I'm engaged in cattle herding and sheep shearing.
    Due to the likelihood of encountering deadly snakes, I regularly carry around a case full of anti-venoms. Fortunately, due to long term exposure, I'm mostly immune to the bites of most snakes.

The truth is, most Australians live in urban and suburban environments, and cannot ride horses or shear sheep. Very few Australians have actually encountered the death snakes people seem to think infest every corner of this country. They exist, but I've only seen them at reptile parks.
    And New Zealand is the one with the sheep. Not saying we don't have them, but the stereotype applies to New Zealand.

Heh, I know, I was just teasing. Well, not about the beer, ive never had the chance to even ask about that till now. It just always struck me as funny that that was their motto. "Fosters, Australian for beer." Also, that poisonous, dangerous, or sheep line is something that I read in a story once and I found it amusing so its stuck with me. And having read up a bit on the various creatures found within your borders, I cant really disagree with the first two parts.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, I would be happy if most people refer my land to Mozart, Alps and *shiver* the Trapp family but we have actually these T-Shirts here to define us:

Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Strange... I can't think of a single European stereotype...

And to tell the truth, you don't really want kangaroos over in Austria. If they survive the relative cold, they'd overrun everything.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

New Zealand is the one with the sheep. Not saying we don't have them, but the stereotype applies to New Zealand.

It's pretty much a Commonwealth thing that the ones with the sheep are "not us, but someone pretty close who we want to mildly put down"

e.g. Wales, Leeds, Australia, New Zealand, Rhodesia (probably not so much now that it doesn't really exist), Sheppey, France, Belgium...

I think Canada gets away with it because the Canadians are too NICE to take the mick out of (and there's only 7 of them anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental
    Strange... I can't think of a single European stereotype...
    Reminds me of an anecdote involving a group of Belgians talking to a Brit, laughing at the British stereotypes (of which there are many), and being all self-assured that there are no stereotypes about Belgians.

And then the Brit having to explain that the biggest stereotype about Belgians is that they are deathly boring.

Rather a quiet car journey after that revelation, apparently.
    Probably not a robot from the future sent back to exterminate all human life.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soylent Dave View Post
    Reminds me of an anecdote involving a group of Belgians talking to a Brit, laughing at the British stereotypes (of which there are many), and being all self-assured that there are no stereotypes about Belgians.

And then the Brit having to explain that the biggest stereotype about Belgians is that they are deathly boring.

Rather a quiet car journey after that revelation, apparently.
    things must have changed a lot since I lived in Holland then.. they used to take the mickey out of Belgians regularily
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

And Belgians are also a favourite among the French (who entertain the stereotype of the dumb-as-a-brick guy with a thick, silly accent).
    Us Belgians mostly joke about the French and... err... ourselves. Except that we portray instead ourselves as kafkaesque and ridiculously complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

15. - Top - End - #45

Meh, and im an american. Oh sure, its mostly all awe and the uttermost levels of respect, due to us being the essence of awesome distilled into a human form, but I think there might even be a joke or two floating around out there about us as well!

Oh, and at least australia doesnt have ALL the deadly stuff. Hell, in my home state alone we have two deadly breeds of snake and I think 2 nasty spiders as well. Though the black widow is the most pathetic excuse for a deadly spider around. Im pretty sure its only barely hanging onto its deadly title and avoiding a downgrade to painful but less deadly than crossing the street. But anyways, yeah, 4 dangerous/deadly creatures, in an area that you could probably squeeze into australia 10 times over without letting the borders brush against each other.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

There's a long tradition of Norwegians and Swedes telling stories in which the other nationality are idiots. But we don't do that about the Danes. That would be cruel.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

This thread reminds me of an XKCD comic about earthquakes and twitter. Specifically, the people tweeting about the earthquake that are near the center of it; due to fiber signals traveling a lot faster than seismic waves, the earthquake is quickly overtaken by the twitter posts about the earthquake. This means that other people on twitter could learn about the earthquake before it actually hits them, and possibly find shelter - but instead, they choose to respond to the first people who posted about the earthquake.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    we portray instead ourselves as kafkaesque and ridiculously complicated
    "This is not a forum post" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Oh, and at least australia doesnt have ALL the deadly stuff. Hell, in my home state alone we have two deadly breeds of snake and I think 2 nasty spiders as well. Though the black widow is the most pathetic excuse for a deadly spider around. Im pretty sure its only barely hanging onto its deadly title and avoiding a downgrade to painful but less deadly than crossing the street. But anyways, yeah, 4 dangerous/deadly creatures, in an area that you could probably squeeze into australia 10 times over without letting the borders brush against each other.
    There's an Al Murray routine where he points out that Britain is sensible and proper because everything here just so much more down to earth, and certainly not just a bit rubbish and small.

"Our wild animals aren't particularly wild, are they? You're not going to get mauled to death by a squirrel.

Our mountains aren't particularly large or hazardous - they're large enough for us to practice on, so we can go and conquer other peoples' mountains..."
    Probably not a robot from the future sent back to exterminate all human life.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

"This is not a forum post" ?

There's an Al Murray routine where he points out that Britain is sensible and proper because everything here just so much more down to earth, and certainly not just a bit rubbish and small.

"Our wild animals aren't particularly wild, are they? You're not going to get mauled to death by a squirrel.

Our mountains aren't particularly large or hazardous - they're large enough for us to practice on, so we can go and conquer other peoples' mountains..."
    To be fair, if all of Earth was an MMO, Britain would be the tutorial area. The most dangerous thing in Britain is either a train or a car, either get decapitated while sticking your head out the train or ran over by a car.

So Britain is not that dangerous or interesting.

We often stereotype other countries of them stereotyping us. We believe the French believe we believe they eat nothing but baguettes and snails.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

haven't you forgotten the frogs legs? and no, I don't mean the derogatory term for french people
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Another good test is to offer the older man accompanying him some badly made green tea. If he proclaims it "hot leaf juice", you have a positive ID.
    I don't he'd be into petty arson like that.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    To be fair, if all of Earth was an MMO, Britain would be the tutorial area. The most dangerous thing in Britain is either a train or a car, either get decapitated while sticking your head out the train or ran over by a car.
    I like this! Australia would be some sort of dangerous area you only go to on large raids with heaps of people.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    I like this! Australia would be some sort of dangerous area you only go to on large raids with heaps of people.
    Im thinking it would be the mmo equivalent of Tomb of Horrors.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

I'm tinking more underdark, ToH is rather small...

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground

This thread brings back memories of ye goode ol' bash.org. Every second post had to be about someone catching on fire, but writing his friends on irc instead of reacting to it.

I remember actually learning about national stereotypes in school via some book. I think we were supposed to learn to reflect on stereotypes (i.e. they're wrong), but since most of us hadn't heard them before, it was a whole new revelation of negativity .

Then Denmark would be that annoying secondary area you go to. You know, after the tutorial, when you feel you're ready, you go to the secondary area that's supposed to get challenging, but for some reason is absurdly boring and repetitive? After that, you can continue to Norway or eastern europe, to get brutally murdered.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

26. - Top - End - #56
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Is it that? It's the first about fire I found:

It Crowd
    It's a bit earlier in the episode: Subject: Fire

I haven't had to evacuate because of a fire in the building I was in, but I have had to leave because of a lab in the one next to me exploding. I've also had the reverse happen and been put in lockdown due to an anthrax scare. The emergency response crew spent half the day setting up their HazMat showers and suits while us vectors had to watch waiting to potentially horribly die. Fun times.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-03-12 at 05:17 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

(and if that wasn't an IT Crowd reference, it should have been)
    Oh, it definitely was.

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    a post about a fire in the building and it takes 28 posts before the IT crowd was mentioned...

And still no you tube vid...

For shame playgrounders. If i wasn't on a train i'd find & post it myself!
    24, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Well, I would be happy if most people refer my land to Mozart, Alps and *shiver* the Trapp family but we have actually these T-Shirts here to define us:

Yeah, uhm, .

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak