New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

Kender:

I've actually seen people fill out form such that it reads
    Sex? : Yes, please. Lots.

So, yeah, I daresay leaving it open does indeed cause problems.

Wormwood:

Welcome! I'm sure you'll like this thread. It's nice and cozy and friendly!

2. - Top - End - #692
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default This post is pretty much irrelevant because we don't have much in the kitchen.

Hi Wormwood,

Welcome to the thread! Help yourself to anything in the kitchen. Ignore the giant rampaging llamazilla!

Good luck with the surgery!
    inner circle Legionary of Resiliance
    I love my Ceikatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

Not here as much. I am out Roman around.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my gosh a llamazilla!

Quote Originally Posted by bluewind95 View Post
    Kender:

I've actually seen people fill out form such that it reads
    Sex? : Yes, please. Lots.

So, yeah, I daresay leaving it open does indeed cause problems.
    I always hope I'm being too pessimistic! ... Does that mean I'm being too optimistic regarding my pessimism?

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

I asked over on Queer Feminism - Avory Faucette is gender queer - what ze would prefer. Ze said Male/Female/Other (please specify) was fine and understood that leaving a blank space would mean trouble when time came to put together the data...

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

5. - Top - End - #695

Quote Originally Posted by Wormwood74 View Post
    Thought I would say hello, come out a bit since this is an LGBT friendly forum. So, hi. I'm trans, will be getting facial surgery on Tuesday, and be full time aftter that.
    Welcome, welcome!

Let me just go catch a couple of cockney orphans to sing "Consider Yourself"
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP - Part 22: The Best There Is

I think it would actually be a good idea to file any strange answers you get on those forms, it could show patterns in human behaviour that might key us in to how to make people take forms seriously.

That's just my two Kobold copper pieces, though. I am far from a scientist. ^_^'

Do think that someone who would answer like that is unrealiable to answer truly on anything else either way, though. :3

But on to the important stuff!

*Hugs Triscuitable and anyone else needing a hug*

Sorry to hear that, but I hope you get better. Whichever way you end up doing it through.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

Asking for gender is a minor thing that really only happens because the journals demand it. At least in my field. So I'd rather keep it as simple as possible.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Asking for gender is a minor thing that really only happens because the journals demand it. At least in my field. So I'd rather keep it as simple as possible.
    We are in the same/similar field (pharmacology/pharmacy) and it's not only because the journal demands it. It's also because many drugs need different doses or don't work as well for females and males. Although most of my experience is in stability studies I know people working in the clinical side (and I hope to end up there too) and there testing the difference in males and females is huge.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-03-30 at 12:50 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

9. - Top - End - #699
    Colossus in the Playground

I think with these job applications it has something to do with equality stuff - it's always somewhere near the "this business is an equal opportunity employer" statement thingy.

10. - Top - End - #700

Replies to posts from the previous thread:

I think the official name is Oppression Olympics.
    Reminds me of that Bellman joke* in which Bellman and two other guys tell about how horrible their childhoods were.

*Swedish humour. In this case built around the bard and poet Carl Michael Bellman from 18th century Stockholm.

@ Arachu

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    I had... A really bad day yesterday. Pretty much the worst day to be reliving the worst days of my life on. I'm a little better now, but I still need to vent so I'm posting the rant I was too sleepy to double-check.

Definite trigger warning... :/
    Spoiler
    Show
    I just had... A terrible day. I went walking at the lake (which, honestly, is more of a swamp) with my sister and cousin. And that was great... Until we turned to go back.

Spoiler
    Show
    First, I asked them to start calling me Bianca (and therefore stop calling me Scott)... Only to hear that they were still calling me Aislin, but only when talking about me doing girly things when near certain people. So, they've been using it as an alias instead of as my name.

... Then they didn't. They kept using "he" and "Scott".

... Then I asked to take a break for a bit because my pants were making me itchy. They asked why, I said that they're really baggy. They told me to wear tighter clothes, I responded that it's really unpleasant to go clothes-shopping with my parents. Then my sis said to get a license, and I noted that my parents are just not willing to do that (for some reason that is most often cited as having to do with money (somehow)) and that I can't just get one where I am.

Somehow the argument reached the subject of my obesity, and she told me that I would be in better shape if I exercised more as a child.

You don't go there. I. Exercised. Constantly. With no visible results to speak of aside from good lungs and a morbid phobia of treadmills. I ended up cussing her out in all of three sentences.

... And then my flashbacks got more vivid. They depressed me, and the depression made me not care about discomfort. I walked so hard on the way back to the car it bruised both of my feet (and temporarily numbed two of my toes).

... It only got worse from there. And it seems they have me confused for a drag queen, or I've somehow failed to communicate how much it hurts to be called by that name. And my nails have to go without polish, and I cried for quite a while (which ironically would've been less unpleasant if I hadn't trimmed my nostrils this morning ).

And I feel terrible. Just, terrible.

Sorry about all of that, I just really needed to vent.

I should feel better tomorrow...

*Hugs* Reminds me of my thing with heights. Or, high areas that don't feel perfectly solid, as it were. Not one for escalators... >.>

'Course, now that I think of it I'm not too fond of roller coasters and whatnot either (probably for the above reason)...

Gah, I forgot to look up dress references! D:

First place, you mean?

I'll get the apron...

When in doubt, take a third option.

()

First things first - *hugs*. I can tell you right now that you're not a freak. You're a wonderful person who happens to have complicated problems, and I'm sure things'll get better eventually.

I like to count for as long as I can or listen to running water (the shower is an excellent place for the latter). I've always heard that you start by focusing so hard on what you're concentrating on that you aren't really thinking of anything else, then relaxing until thoughts 'drift' into perspective.

Counting breaths works really well, in my experience. It's like the normal counting method, but with something 'real' to focus on. Don't do it unless you have a lot of time, though - with enough practice, you can really slow your breathing rate. I took a good seven minutes to count to ten once (other people were playing Guitar Hero, and I opened my eyes right before they finished the song).

I also used the conditioning to hold my breath for... Three minutes, was it? I would've gotten like 5 in, but people thought I was drowning the first time and they interrupted me. >.<

I like that phrase. I may or may not sig it as I wake up.

That's a good point... Getting rid of the hair she won't miss when masculine might help her be more comfortable when androgynous/feminine. And masculine, for that matter. Having shaved arms all the time would be awesome!

I'm Bianca, and I approve of this message. T.T

Hoo, but would it suck to hold your arms at your arms at that angle for so long.

EDIT: I think my hair growth slowed down somehow. I didn't get to shave yesterday, and it's only grown to what used to be the 12-hour mark...
    *hugs*

Wish I could say something helpful...

... but instead I'm being a bad ally and babble about my own issues.

Spoiler
    Show
    I have several issues with my parents, right now AND in the past. I've already spoken to some members about it over at private chat... I may post about it over at the Personal Woes thread.

Will post more later.
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

11. - Top - End - #701

Thought I would say hello, come out a bit since this is an LGBT friendly forum. So, hi. I'm trans, will be getting facial surgery on Tuesday, and be full time aftter that.
    *Glomps* Hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    I always hope I'm being too pessimistic! ... Does that mean I'm being too optimistic regarding my pessimism?
    No, it means you're pessimistically hoping you're wrong about pessimistically expecting to be wrong. They negate to optimism, though.

'Course, you also seem to be pessimistically tired of pessimistically hoping that your pessimistic expectations are incorrect - it's a bit confusing at that stage.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    We are in the same/similar field (pharmacology/pharmacy) and it's not only because the journal demands it. It's also because many drugs need different doses or don't work as well for females and males. Although most of my experience is in stability studies I know people working in the clinical side (and I hope to end up there too) and there testing the difference in males and females is huge.
    I'm more in neurology. Yeah, there might be differences and we always glance at the data to make sure but it's not a big deal.

― Tim Fargo

13. - Top - End - #703
    Troll in the Playground

Welcome here, Wormwood!
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

14. - Top - End - #704

Quote Originally Posted by H Birchgrove View Post
    Reminds me of that Bellman joke* in which Bellman and two other guys tell about how horrible their childhoods were.
    So like the Four Yorkshiremen Sketch?
    (don't have a link to yours in English, do you?)

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

Thought I would say hello, come out a bit since this is an LGBT friendly forum. So, hi. I'm trans, will be getting facial surgery on Tuesday, and be full time after that.
    We also have a very nice picture thread. *hint, hint*

Welcome! Enter in peace and leave some of the wellbeing you bring.

― Tim Fargo

16. - Top - End - #706

Pretty much pure selfish curiosity, but I'd be really interested to see before and after shots of that. I've been really impressed with some trans transformations* recently, and I'd be curious to know what direct surgery can accomplish.

*mostly worded for the alliteration...

17. - Top - End - #707
    Firbolg in the Playground

Welcome! There is coffee somewhere. Somebody has cookies. I really should find these rumored-of refreshments. I missed breakfast.

We also have a very nice picture thread. *hint, hint*

Welcome! Enter in peace and leave some of the wellbeing you bring.
    We do indeed! You should post pictures. Though possibly not immediately after surgery because most people don't look their best right after surgery.
    Jude P.

18. - Top - End - #708

No indeed. As an example, I really wish they'd show some face transplant pictures from well after the healing's all done...

19. - Top - End - #709
    Troll in the Playground

Hi.

Good luck with the surgery and everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Pretty much pure selfish curiosity, but I'd be really interested to see before and after shots of that. I've been really impressed with some trans transformations* recently, and I'd be curious to know what direct surgery can accomplish.

*mostly worded for the alliteration...
    You can probably find quite a few online, considering the large number of transition timelines that drift out there.

Also asking for before / after pictures might be a teensy bit insensitive...

@Kender: Natalie reposted an article she wrote a while back on gendering certain products and activities which I think you might find interesting if you haven't read it yet.
    Last edited by Astrella; 2012-03-30 at 01:31 PM.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

I asked over on Queer Feminism - Avory Faucette is gender queer - what ze would prefer. Ze said Male/Female/Other (please specify) was fine and understood that leaving a blank space would mean trouble when time came to put together the data...
    That's true, if it's something simple (loads of forms can't possibly need it that badly - like surveys, they just want it for statistics) they can just lump all the "other"s into a group on the pie chart. Or if, say, half of all people who ticked "other" wrote "genderqueer" they could make it a group.

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    I think it would actually be a good idea to file any strange answers you get on those forms, it could show patterns in human behaviour that might key us in to how to make people take forms seriously.

That's just my two Kobold copper pieces, though. I am far from a scientist. ^_^'

Do think that someone who would answer like that is unrealiable to answer truly on anything else either way, though. :3
    Yeah, it would be interesting to see what people wrote down, but if they said their gender was toast, they're probably not putting (the right kind of) thought into their other answers either!

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I think with these job applications it has something to do with equality stuff - it's always somewhere near the "this business is an equal opportunity employer" statement thingy.
    Yep, it's often used to make sure the interview process isn't biased one way or another. Like if you had 60% men and 40% women apply for a job, but 90% of jobs went to women, there's something weird happening along the way.

For pharmacy and stuff, it is important to have that kind of data. For example, some drugs are dangerous to people who might become pregnant, which includes no biological males. But it still doesn't work because then trans people have to either put the wrong thing on the form (ie their biological sex when it asks for gender) or, depending on where they are in a transition process, might end up with the wrong dose, or counted in the wrong survey group.

So, maybe for surveys and such it should be
    ( ) Male
    ( ) Female
    ( ) Other _____________

and for medical things, or things that are for studies involving chromosomes, hormones, etc, it should be
    ( ) Biologically Male
    ( ) Bioogically Female
    ( ) Transsexual Male to Female
    ( ) Transsexual Female to Male
    or some variant? Then genderqueer etc people would answer on their biological sex and trans people would be included correctly. (Not perfectly, since everyone's different and particularly since people would be at different stages in transition, or choosing different paths for transition, etc, but at least they could be accounted for. And if it's for giving them a drug or something the doctor would know to check.)

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post

No, it means you're pessimistically hoping you're wrong about pessimistically expecting to be wrong. They negate to optimism, though.

'Course, you also seem to be pessimistically tired of pessimistically hoping that your pessimistic expectations are incorrect - it's a bit confusing at that stage.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

21. - Top - End - #711

NecromancerGuy

Related: Do you think forms would be better if people were more trustworthy when they fill them out? For example, I can imagine if the gender options were
    ( ) Male
    ( ) Female
    ( ) Other: ___________________
    that you would get people going "hur hur, I'll put other and say my gender is gay/Jedi/toast/f**k off!". Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic about it. And to be clear, I don't think that's a good reason not to put "other" there, just that people making the forms might not want to put in "niche" options that are likely to attract joke answers. I would put in other and if someone wrote "toast", their form would go in the bin! Hopefully no one legitimately identifies as a toast gender.
    I think the issue here is that there's no established other options to necessitate the blank, and if there were, they'd just necessitate their own line. That, and equal opportunity laws would have to be updated massively with their current focus on physical sex if instead it's being asked about gender identity. Being genderqueer does not change one's physical sex, and stuff like that would necessitate an overhaul of most things in general. What people usually think of when Transsexuals are brought up are basically kludged into the system depending upon where they are in the transition process and how nice of an area they're in, after all.

I very much doubt that someone seriously looking to get a job would put something vulgar on a job application though. Generally a good way to get it tossed, I'd imagine. Which would leave people who identify as gender**** in a bit of a lurch, but frankly I hate that term anyway and it'd need to be changed to a new one to get official-like anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

22. - Top - End - #712

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    You can probably find quite a few online, considering the large number of transition timelines that drift out there.

Also asking for before / after pictures might be a teensy bit insensitive...
    Expressing interest, nothing more. And there's the double interest in seeing what another Playgrounder looks like, which I have for everybody.

23. - Top - End - #713

Quote Originally Posted by H Birchgrove View Post
    @ Arachu

Spoiler
    Show

*hugs*

Wish I could say something helpful...

... but instead I'm being a bad ally and babble about my own issues.

Spoiler
    Show
    I have several issues with my parents, right now AND in the past. I've already spoken to some members about it over at private chat... I may post about it over at the Personal Woes thread.

Will post more later.
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Hugs!* Never feel bad about talking about what you have to.

Besides, it actually comforts me when someone cares enough to say they want to help... *More hugs*
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

Hi, welcome, and good luck!

Yeah, it would be interesting to see what people wrote down, but if they said their gender was toast, they're probably not putting (the right kind of) thought into their other answers either!
    I don't believe this Kender. I'm honestly ashamed. I know the toastuals are less mainstream, but they have as much right to exist as the rest of us.

I... I don't think I can even look at you guys right now.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

KenderWizard, are there any pictures of you floating around? Or do cameras don't capture half-Sidhe?

― Tim Fargo

26. - Top - End - #716
    Troll in the Playground

So Re: Voice group, do those interested want to do it at a fixed time or go with more of a "oh, we have several people online, let's go."?
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #717

NecromancerGuy

So Re: Voice group, do those interested want to do it at a fixed time or go with more of a "oh, we have several people online, let's go."?
    Working out a time in advance would probably be the way to go, so that other interested parties have some idea and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

Transphobic game: Cistem Shock
    Transaction (n): Action movie with a trans hero
    Tranaphylactic shock (n) – the reaction of a transphobe after ze finds out ze has had sex with a trans person.
    Transmission (n): Important job to do for the trans movement

― Tim Fargo

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

Either?

Transphobic game: Cistem Shock
    Transaction (n): Action movie with a trans hero
    Tranaphylactic shock (n) – the reaction of a transphobe after ze finds out ze has had sex with a trans person.
    Transmission (n): Important job to do for the trans movement
    oh god those are bad xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

30. - Top - End - #720

Transformers: A kinda of mecha-transexual who can turn into a vehicle, or sometimes a dinosaur :B

edit: Translocation: where a trans person is.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2012-03-30 at 03:11 PM.