New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: Practice Makes Something
    I vote this.
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    Not the last time, I don't think, but I'm kind of fond of this.
    Exactly the strip I had in mind

While magic was never really original, consistent of explained, at least every character used to have his strong points.
    Dominic was a seer with some illusion spells, Luna was a typical RPG black mage, Fenix used ice magic, and necromancy had some gross but cool applications.
    Now? Luna used seer magic with a different name since Dominic wasn't around at the time, Fenix was supposed to be used as "a Callanian mage", throwing his specialty out the window, and every one uses beams, beams and more beams.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ogre in the Playground

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV:This thread has more plot than the comic

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV:Tale of the diminishing archmages

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Orc in the Playground

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: Will the Next Decade Have Tension?
    Not a robot

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    At least it's something other than an energy shield.

Do they assume an arch mage does not have area spells?

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know, if the enemy here were the Cattleblasters I would believe that this idea might actually work. I mean even if they were magic possessed humans they were still only human. Their senses could be muddled and tricked.

Still having an incredibly difficult time believing that an Archmage hasn't already wasted everyone here with his first spell.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo View Post
    You know, if the enemy here were the Cattleblasters I would believe that this idea might actually work. I mean even if they were magic possessed humans they were still only human. Their senses could be muddled and tricked.
    Do I need to remind you about the lobster mask?

9. - Top - End - #1419

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: Kicking Reason to The Curb Since '02
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2012-05-16 at 01:14 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

10. - Top - End - #1420

Also, why does he need to chase down Bumper? MantisMage is still presumably holding Stunt's life in his hands, the smart thing to do would be to use Stunt as a bargaining chip, cliche as it is. Hell, take Luna or Dom hostage too! They haven't magically protected themselves... yet.
    Last edited by Humbug; 2012-05-16 at 01:18 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo View Post
    Most insects and arachnids are very good at sensing vibrations, so this probably wouldn't be that good even if MantisMage was just a giant bug instead of a top notch wizard bug.

Still having an incredibly difficult time believing that an Archmage hasn't already wasted everyone here with his first spell.
    Seriously. By the comic's own rules of what an archmage is Mantis Mage has to be more powerful and versatile than Luna. Unless the brainwashing really has downgraded him to a big dumb bug, in which case Mookie, why bother introducing the archmages in the first place?

Edit: (post below)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    Why cast illusion spells when we know they can be broken if the caster is distracted (like say if a Archmage is doing it's darnest to rip you to shreds).
    I forgot about that. Nice job painting that big target on you there Luna.
    BTW why isn't Mantis Mage gutting Stunt?
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-05-16 at 01:46 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Barbarian in the Playground

The audience already isn't taking this battle seriously, but why is Luna half assing this? Why cast illusion spells when we know they can be broken if the caster is distracted (like say if a Archmage is doing it's darnest to rip you to shreds). Not to mention buffing someone else at this critical juncture means she's leaving herself open to attack.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Titan in the Playground

Pros: Not beam spam.
    Cons: Further degradation of what "archmage" means. Not smart enough to attack Luna. Not magically capable enough to blast all the Bumpers at once (to say nothing of this). Not even perceptive enough to realize that oh wait, I can just punch through the shield, maybe I should attack them again.

Mookie, when we drone on and on about showing instead of telling, this is why. This is the consequence of ignoring that little bit of storytelling technique. The stronger you tell us someone is, the weaker they really seem to be when you show us otherwise. You are creating the exact opposite of the impression you intend. Brinty here isn't anything near worthy of the title "archmage" if Team Dominus is still alive and kicking after three bloody strips.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    Not the last time, I don't think, but I'm kind of fond of this.

BONUS: Oh hey, bug guy, you're up close and it seems you've invalidated their shield, hmm yes behold now is a very acceptable time for a follow-up fireball.
    Or you could just kind of menace the fellow by manhandling him, hmm yes that might also potentially accomplish your aims perhaps.

Is it so wrong that I want to see an archmage, who has mastered all magic, do something like "make enemies fight their own skeletons"? Y'know, a little something like this, but with skellingtons.
    Sorta like THIS?

On the comic strip, so when exactly did they have time to make the plan to play keep away? Bumper stole the necklace before they even knew the archmage was after it, and everyone seems to be acting out a fairly well rehearsed plan to play monkey in the middle with an archmage. Also, to whoever mentioned the threat meter, keep in mind that I think luna is supposed to be an archmage as well. Not as well practiced as mantic mage or momma deegan, but the power of mary sue acts as a 2.3x modifier to actual abilities. So she is pretty damn strong herself. If anything, luna should be saying, "Finally, a real challenge"
    Last edited by Traab; 2012-05-16 at 08:15 AM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    On the comic strip, so when exactly did they have time to make the plan to play keep away? Bumper stole the necklace before they even knew the archmage was after it, and everyone seems to be acting out a fairly well rehearsed plan to play monkey in the middle with an archmage.
    He did know due to the fast summary 2 days ago.

As for the tactical cooperation, I think it was always like this in DD.

Long time ago I wondered how Luna, with just theory and zero training in actual combat, has the reflexes and skills in combat magic, enough to put her in par with people who killed others for fun.

16. - Top - End - #1426

Shoot, I missed that last speech bubble after admitting it was the lost treasure. Ok, so bumper is aware the mage is after the necklace. However, when and WHY did he steal it? Did he take it just as stunt was being grabbed? Did he come up with a plan and discuss it in psychic messaging with luna? Or is his plan to grab the treasure and run for the hills because its freaking awesome and worth more than callan?

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Mookie.

Dude.

That's not even a pun. It's just a description. In no way was it worth a fourth-wall glare, unless Dominic was supposed to be glaring at you for not actually writing an eighth panel, you strange, lazy person.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

18. - Top - End - #1428

So an archmange needs to master all schools of magic, right? That would include divinitation, no?

I think I see a problem with this illusion-reliant plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground

Having left the comic when there was still the illusion of tension (I can't even remember when now) I just have one thing to say: Mookie does know there's nothing even resembling tension here, right? That by having an archmage do literally nothing while they sit blabbing he just makes their omnipotence so bland and meaningless that it's just sad? He knows that and is just trolling, right?

20. - Top - End - #1430

Mookie.

Dude.

That's not even a pun. It's just a description. In no way was it worth a fourth-wall glare, unless Dominic was supposed to be glaring at you for not actually writing an eighth panel, you strange, lazy person.
    This.
    So much this.
    Just... what are you thinking?
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Troll in the Playground

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: It's like Hitler's birthday

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: 10 year remembrance of the death of taste

And my personal favourite:

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: They really are pretty useless

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    So an archmange needs to master all schools of magic, right? That would include divinitation, no?

I think I see a problem with this illusion-reliant plan.
    Making an ass-pull here:

Everyone can learn divination, but Dominic has some natural talent in that field.
    It's the natural talent that protects him, and arch mages don't necessarily have it.

But despite not being able to directly break an illusion, there are so many other options to counter it, that this is just sad.

Options I thought of so far plus what others already suggested here:
    - Spell with an area effect, doesn't even have to do damage
    - Target caster to break spell
    - Super speed, clones or something similar to attack all targets at the same time.

Mookie.

Dude.

This is the second time something like this happened.
    Last time was something recent in the desert arc, don't remember exactly what, not sure I want to remember.
    Last edited by random11; 2012-05-16 at 10:36 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I was hoping we'd do
    Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: Bland and White Morality.

Others:
    Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: Did Mookie Get XP for killing the Tension?
    Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: A Decade of Snark.
    Last edited by MReav; 2012-05-16 at 10:46 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1434

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: Ten More Years Till We See The Plot

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: The Final Boss Will Be Spark.

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: I Think You Forgot To Write A Plot

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: What Have We Done To Deserve This?

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: Magic = Magic. Bad Guys = Dumb

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: Archmages Are Idiots.

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: So, Whats The Beast Up To?

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: And The Point Is?

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: Archmage Boners.

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: Hit Him With The Fish Curse!

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: Snark Mage of the Tenth Circle

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    I second this.
    Truth resists simplicity.

27. - Top - End - #1437

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    This gets my vote as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

28. - Top - End - #1438

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: After Years Of Waiting, Nothing Gained
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

29. - Top - End - #1439

I got it!

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLV: Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Ogre in the Playground

I just recently rediscovered my old Bingo Sheet. I'm doing pretty well this time. I should have posted this yesterday

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Having left the comic when there was still the illusion of tension (I can't even remember when now) I just have one thing to say: Mookie does know there's nothing even resembling tension here, right? That by having an archmage do literally nothing while they sit blabbing he just makes their omnipotence so bland and meaningless that it's just sad? He knows that and is just trolling, right?
    The problem is: Mookie knows that the archemage is dangerous. In his mind this situation is pretty tense. But he forgets to establish this in his comic, so we don't feel any tension or danger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin