New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Legend Of Korra: Will It Bend!

But that would put the two most awesome voice actors on the same character!!

Also I saw this and was curious what episode is the sokka part from?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Bugbear in the Playground

On Amon:

Spoiler
    Show
    I've two theories for what/who he'll turn out to be.

Theory 1 (most likely) Amon is the son of whoever Aang took out based on the dialogue and flashback from the new episode. Aang tried to mediate the situation, Toph and or Sokka were hurt and Aang lost control for a moment going into a firebending rage. This is why Lin doesn't want the Avatar in her city, she's seen how it can go wrong, this is also Amon's "firebender" story.

doesn't explain how he learned energy bending though.

Theory 2 (the absolute long-shot): Korra is not the Avatar. Well, maybe not truly. Korra is Republic city's Avatar, but Amon is connected to the left over part of the world. He is an airbender, but never learned how to bend (eye color) and his connection to the spirit world is real and he knows energy bending because He very well could be the rightful Avatar. This requires the man behind the mask to be around Korra's age, something of which we have no proof yet. I'll be pretty surprised if that winds up being true, and it will be proven wrong as soon as Korra is able to airbend (which 4 episodes in she still can't do. In episode 3 she used Earth bending to launch the kids into the air).

Also, about Mako and Bolin

Spoiler
    Show
    Is it just me or with the focus on the importance of his scarf, is it possible Mako is related to the firebending thug from Episode 1?

3. - Top - End - #1053

Edit: Well that unfortunately double posted. Sorry about that.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Troll in the Playground

my amon theory is that he's an earth kingdom native who's father suffered as a direct result of the between series issues with the fire nationals still living on the earth continent which are a direct result of sozin and ozai's war, and later zuko and aang (who through various drama decided it best to leave the integrated fire nation people be).

would have both emotion and nuance i think.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

5. - Top - End - #1055

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    my amon theory is that he's an earth kingdom native who's father suffered as a direct result of the between series issues with the fire nationals still living on the earth continent which are a direct result of sozin and ozai's war, and later zuko and aang (who through various drama decided it best to leave the integrated fire nation people be).

would have both emotion and nuance i think.
    Too boring

Also, how did a normal bloke learn Energybending?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

No, because I deeply despise the potential Mako/Korra romance, so Asami is everything I could hope for..
    +9000. If there's 1 thing I don't like it's when writers talk down to me.
    "LOL sorry we sunk the Zutara, here's Makorra." would be the ultimate patronisation. I'm glad it's not a sure thing.
    Anyone else get the subconscious vibe that she was evil though? The too convenient meet-cute, the slow motion hair, the chi blocker color scheme, the fac that she looks like Lust from FMA...
    Lust... whose daddy is Henry Ford...
    Y'know, if I was Mako I wouldn't care if she eats kittens.
    But yeah... the easiest way to discredit a rival love interest is to reveal that she's EVIL AND EATS KITTENS. Le sigh. What an easy out for Korra that would be.
    If anything Sato is living proof that non-benders aren't directly oppressed by benders.
    This is the kind of strawmen certain political proponents of unchecked capitalism always fall back on.
    I can't see the new girl being evil, she seems way too sweet to suddenly be a villain.
    Sudden heel turns are not unheard of, but what makes it unlikely is her background. She's the pampered daughter of the richest tycoon in the city. What does she possibly have in common with a Guy Fawkes? Nothing.
    Maybe she's a political sympathiser of his cause? Unlikely. Children born into the lap of the privileged are seldom connected to the sentiments of the plebian masses. Maybe she'll sponsor some charities, and genuinely care for the plight of orphans, but she would never passionately sympathize with a populist revolutionary.
    If this happens, it's the writers grasping at straws because they created the Makasami and then found it impossible to sink without resorting to cartoonish extremes.
    So far the writers have surprised me at every episode with this series' depth, so I don't think it would happen that way.
    Episode 4 has blown away all of my negative preconceptions from just watching the teaser clip:
    1. Tenzin recognizes cowboy SWAT action as authoritarian and flaming potential populist anger. It's written as the manipulation of an unlikeable politician, rather than a good and just occurrence.
    2. Korra tagging along with SWAT and challenging Amon is written as being manipulated, and using bluster to hide her fears. Rather than just black-and-white shonen writing.

I'm starting to think we're all a bunch of cynical morons who shouldn't be watching this cartoon
    +1
    I'm glad you can word that in humorous terms. If I worded that sentiment it would come out offensive. ;)
    Honestly the former "public enemy #1" that Aang took care of probably has more to do with Amon than any of the characters introduced now. If he was a person who was energybent out of his bending sometime close to Aang's death he
    First speculation I agree with, that I've read so far.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Troll in the Playground

wink Re: Legend Of Korra: Will It Bend!

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    Also I saw this and was curious what episode is the sokka part from?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Blind Bandit (Toph episode, duh.) It's a bit after Katara uses her women's ways to find out where the wrestling match is, I think. After the match, now that I think about it, when they ask around who Toph is. *feels all detectivey*
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-04-28 at 11:19 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ogre in the Playground

The mask would make more sense there too, especially if this villain was someone who was undeniably a person of few redeeming qualities to the general public...
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Titan in the Playground

Fjolnir that was hilarious, and reminds me how much I miss Sokka in his goofball roll. Here's hoping Bolin gets much funnier in the next few weeks.

Also, am I the only person who really could not care who Mako ends up with? Just so long as they don't spend more time than they need to on it so I can see what Amon's up to.

10. - Top - End - #1060

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    "LOL sorry we sunk the Zutara, here's Makorra." would be the ultimate patronisation. I'm glad it's not a sure thing.
    1. I hated Zutara. Much better this way.
    2. I'm also ok with Mako and...whoever that girl is (can't remember, don't care to look it up), just so long as that doesn't auto-lock Korra with Bolin. I HATE that guy. He's like Sokka...but lacking all the charm and wit and likability that Sokka had going for him. Just an idiot.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    The Blind Bandit (Toph episode, duh.) It's a bit after Katara uses her women's ways to find out where the wrestling match is, I think. After the match, now that I think about it, when they ask around who Toph is. *feels all detectivey*
    Thanks I thought it was him at the 5-7-5 club, but he's done similar things a few times so I thought it would be safer to ask... but Korra is definitely in need of a lighter character her age in her little group, though as you pointed out, Bolin seems to be slowly coming into that role as the series is developing.

Looking at it again it must be after Aang wins the belt, because Sokka is clearly wearing the earthbending wrestling championship belt in that picture...
    Last edited by Fjolnir; 2012-04-29 at 12:31 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The only problem I have with Amon being Aang is that it specifically goes against the whole Avatar reincarnation thing.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Titan in the Playground

[QUOTE=SuperPanda;13147440]On Amon:

Spoiler
    Show

Theory 2 (the absolute long-shot): Korra is not the Avatar. Well, maybe not truly. Korra is Republic city's Avatar, but Amon is connected to the left over part of the world. He is an airbender, but never learned how to bend (eye color) and his connection to the spirit world is real and he knows energy bending because He very well could be the rightful Avatar. This requires the man behind the mask to be around Korra's age, something of which we have no proof yet. I'll be pretty surprised if that winds up being true, and it will be proven wrong as soon as Korra is able to airbend (which 4 episodes in she still can't do. In episode 3 she used Earth bending to launch the kids into the air).

Well, the avatar died in the first show remember? Only Katara's special wate revived the avatar.

Call me crazy, but maybe that means there are two potencial avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show

Aang and the other guy (didn't do anything noteworthy, did'nt have time to master them all).
    So when he died Amon became the next (weaker) avatar. Thus, he can reach spirit World, but he doesn't like bending so he doesn't master any beyond Energy.

When Korra and Amon finally fight their final showdown, Korra will take his head and with it his power. There can only be one Avatar, let it be Korra McCloud, the Avatar.

14. - Top - End - #1064

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Call me crazy, but maybe that means there are two potencial avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show

Aang and the other guy (didn't do anything noteworthy, did'nt have time to master them all).
    So when he died Amon became the next (weaker) avatar. Thus, he can reach spirit World, but he doesn't like bending so he doesn't master any beyond Energy.

When Korra and Amon finally fight their final showdown, Korra will take his head and with it his power. There can only be one Avatar, let it be Korra McCloud, the Avatar.
    No. Oh god no. If that last part's true, the next Avatar series will have some overweight pale guy singing badly while we find out the Avatar's true purpose was to...I don't know, Un-bend the elements.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ogre in the Playground

The other thing wrong with that is that korra would have been an earth avatar as well
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPanda View Post
    On Amon:

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll be pretty surprised if that winds up being true, and it will be proven wrong as soon as Korra is able to airbend (which 4 episodes in she still can't do. In episode 3 she used Earth bending to launch the kids into the air).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Call me crazy, but Aang might not have been the avatar. He hadn't bend all the elements by episode 4. Never mind that there was a total of 60-something episodes.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    Because Mako and Korra are clearly just expies of the waterbender and firebender from the previous series, not characters in their own right, and therefore cannot have a romantic subplot without it being a callback to/apology for the Zutara ship?

I'm not sure I follow this line of thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Call me crazy, but Aang might not have been the avatar. He hadn't bend all the elements by episode 4. Never mind that there was a total of 60-something episodes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    they never made a point of demonstrating Aang's inability to bend any particular element, whereas Korra's repeated failure to bend air is a noted part of the plot.

also relevant, someone noticed this little fact:

Spoiler
    Show
    In the original show, Aang's first contact with Roku's spirit was in Roku's temple. In this one, Korra's first vision of Aang was inside the temple at the base of Aang's statue, but it was much less clear, perhaps as a symbol of her low connection with the "spiritual" side of avatardom.
    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Blights are halted by the heroic, self-sacrificial actions of a couple of dudes. Throwing them into a land containing the ur-example of the modern pulp fantasy warrior is rather like tossing a sponge in the Pacific and wondering if it'll get wet.

19. - Top - End - #1069

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    they never made a point of demonstrating Aang's inability to bend any particular element, whereas Korra's repeated failure to bend air is a noted part of the plot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, there was that one episode where he couldn't bend Earth no matter how hard Toph pushed him (in fact it was noted her forcefullness was probably why he didn't take to Earthbending). Although he got over it by the end of the episode, they did cover it.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the original show, Aang's first contact with Roku's spirit was in Roku's temple. In this one, Korra's first vision of Aang was inside the temple at the base of Aang's statue, but it was much less clear, perhaps as a symbol of her low connection with the "spiritual" side of avatardom.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's not a fair comparison. Aang's spirit was currently ripped from his mortal shell. Korra was just knocked out. Sure, it was a savage blow what knocked her senseless, but there wasn't any evidence that it kickered her spirit out of her body.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Aang had great difficulty bending Earth, as mentioned above, but also made a huge fuss about Fire. Korra, whose favourite is Fire, has the same apprehension about Air. It makes sense.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Aang was meditating. Korra was punched in the neck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

1. It's funny how Korra, a Water Tribe, defaults to fire whenever she acts on instinct. In the unlit hall of that temple, the smart thing to do was to raise a shell around her with the floor tiles, then quickly earth-teleport out of there.

Regardless, I'm starting to get the feeling that even though she can bend all 3 elements, she's not a formidable combatant. Her techniques always default to basic whenever she gets stressed, so full of holes even non-benders can just wipe the floor with her.

Yet she did dispatch her instructors who are supposed to be good. Maybe it's just inexperience and nerves.

2. Amon could've freakin' killed her with that finger-jab. He shocked the vagus nerve so hard she passed out. With that much force at that area, he could've sent a blood clot straight to her brain.

Man's gotta be more careful with the little lady.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Having a hobby, and/or trying to live off of that hobby is a fine and fair way to make a living. However if that hobby should prove to be non-sustainable as a means for a career and you could quite easily make a living with a normal career and yet you choose to keep plugging away at the hobby until you have literally 0 options left, why should I care? You had the opportunity to make a living. That is more opportunity than a lot of people in this world get, if I'm gonna pity someone it's going to be one of them.
    That's a perfectly fair and reasonable stance to take, however I would make one caveat - if the person has no responsibilities (and makes no undue demands on society), then I'm all for them to keep chasing their dreams.

As soon as they get responsibilities, be it in the form of looking after family, supporting their city/country in a time of need etc, then I'm with you.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-04-29 at 04:31 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Titan in the Playground

So has the new episode not been posted online yet, or did they only put it up for a limited window out of contempt for people like me who want to watch it at 5:00am?

On a related note, great consistency using those spoiler tags, people. I was totally able to avoid skimming about half the posts in the past two pages while looking to see if my question was already answered.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Titan in the Playground

So I just read The Promise part 1.

Spoiler
    Show
    SWEETIE!!

Seriously, Zuko needs to learn to think for himself, rather than just doing what everyone tells him is best.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    Because Mako and Korra are clearly just expies of the waterbender and firebender from the previous series, not characters in their own right, and therefore cannot have a romantic subplot without it being a callback to/apology for the Zutara ship?

I'm not sure I follow this line of thought.
    It's shipping. It's quite removed from what we puny humans call logic.
    Anyway, some thoughts on the fourth episode, particularily the vision:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Those few images Korra saw definetly raise some questions. Sokka, Toph and Aang, the latter apparently attacking someone at the end. It's indeed quite likely to be connected to Amon, whose stated reason for hating bending is, frankly, too simplistic for me to believe. Obviously, we can also be pretty certain Toph and Sokka were involved somehow - Toph was the chief of the police at the time, and we have no idea what Sokka was doing. All in all, I'm really looking forward to finding out more about that event.
    On another note, Amon is indeed quite clever, which gives him a clear advantage over Korra who isn't very good at this whole "thinking things through" business. She shouldn't have expected Amon to come alone... and Amon clearly has a plan more complex than just "run around and take away people's bending one by one".
    Tarrlok, similarily, either has some ulterior motive or no imagination whatsoever. Declaring Amon public enemy #1 and leading raids against his supporters only adds fuel to his fire - "Look how the bending elite responds to any dissent!".
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-04-29 at 07:02 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ogre in the Playground

If I were the council, I would respond to him complaining about the task force with this,

"Benders or not, he kidnapped citizens and caused serious harm which undid most of the education of their life. It is as if he cut off an artist's arms. We have no idea how the threat will grow, but as of now he is charged with kidnapping and causing severe harm to citizens.

If Anyone causes harm to our citizens, no matter what the reason, they are dangerous and will be stopped."

Amon is enjoying this too much.

Edit: Amon identity guess:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aaang confronted Amon, because Amon was this previous criminal. In his peaceful manner, he took away Amon's bending. But, we've seen that if you lack the will, you can screw it up. Aang screws it up and Amon gets energybending.
    Last edited by Madara; 2012-04-29 at 07:52 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

27. - Top - End - #1077

ClericGirl

When will the current episode be put up on nick.com? (Being a TV-less snob has its drawbacks.)
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Now to defend this motivation it was brought up that pro-bending was Mako's only means of sustaining himself and his brother. But that is proven blatantly false. In fact 2 episodes ago it was shown that he makes more money working for 1 day as a lightning man than he had for a whole week of training for pro-bending and his winnings from the game. So since he can sustain himself rather easily as a lightning-o-mancer why should I feel sorry for him for being broke? He has the solution for his money problems right in front of his nose. Of course, now he has all the money he needs, and good for him, that was lucky. But it's stupid to rely on luck to keep yourself going. Hell, that was Nero's economic plan: strike gold somehow.
    you're making a mighty number of assumptions there.
    1) we don't know just how much he made from the energybending shtick. agreed, anything more than 0 is a bonus, but that doesn't mean he could actually live of it. he and his brother get free lodging in exchange for cleaning up and competing. for all we know, the money he got from energybending might not be enough to rent a place for himself and his brother.
    2) we have no idea how "readily available" that job fuelling electricity actually is. For all we know he was subbing for the regular guy who was sick that day, and it may never happen again.
    Given the 1920s setting, I feel confident equating the energy production job to a dockers job back then. these things were in the hands of the mob, highly sought after by scores of jobless people as a means to put together a few meals, but still not steady jobs and hardly enough to pay for anything more than a meal or two a day. Simply hard to come by on anything like a regular basis unless you're in with the foreman.
    Equal amount of assumptions to yours, yes, granted.. but realistic.

We know there's unemployement, we know Mako had to run numbers for the mob just to survive on the streets. We know they took the first chance they got to get off the street and that chance was pro-bending. We know that they're indebted to the shady guy who runs the pro-bending. Most likely they can't just walk out on him without landing on the street again.
    Quite simply, there's no way for you to tell that energybending at the powerplant would be a viable alternative to pro-bending, as far as sustaining oneself and one's little brother. In fact, for all we know it's a highly draining activity that can only be done for so many days in a row, and therefore has a high rotation and simply doesn't pay enough to make a living for 2 people....but is better than nothing, which is why it's a good extra income for someone who already has rent provided by other means.

Spoiler
    Show

also relevant, someone noticed this little fact:

Spoiler
    Show
    not true, Aang took a couple of episodes to learn how to earthbend and several more episodes to get over his hungups regarding firebending.
    we're only 4 episodes in and a lot has happened in the meantime, and some progress has been made by Korra.

as for the second point..
    Spoiler
    Show
    maybe the lack of clarity of the vision depends simply on the fact that she was busy being knocked out and falling on the floor.
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-04-29 at 08:19 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    If I were the council, I would respond to him complaining about the task force with this,

"Benders or not, he kidnapped citizens and caused serious harm which undid most of the education of their life. It is as if he cut off an artist's arms. We have no idea how the threat will grow, but as of now he is charged with kidnapping and causing severe harm to citizens.

If Anyone causes harm to our citizens, no matter what the reason, they are dangerous and will be stopped."

Amon is enjoying this too much.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, because reasoned arguments always work with extremists such as Amon and their followers.
    It's not about what Tarrlok or the rest of the Council want to do, it's about what Amon can twists their intentions into.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    So has the new episode not been posted online yet, or did they only put it up for a limited window out of contempt for people like me who want to watch it at 5:00am?
    That's because it leaked days ago now so a delay should be expected because it will stirr certain corporate decisions, I saw the same thing when iTunes released a MLP episode early.

Worst case they will stop uploading entirely leaving it up to pirating and y'know watching Nick.