New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Other art by Rich Burlew?

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Like that? No, not in years. That's water color and colored pencil, and I don't even know that I have the supplies for that right now. That's literally an 18-year-old drawing. That drawing could vote. It would take a lot of practice to get back to that point.
    As long as the drawing knows that political discussions are banned here.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Nice pictures.

Haha, I'd like to think of that bald guy as some Greenhilt too. Maybe Roy after his hand was exposed to radiation.

One of those pictures looks like the Splinter Cell guy as a wizard making a droid. I guess it's supposed to be a golem maker, but I don't know of any golems that look so robotic. Is there a particular D&D setting that has those?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Enero Irontoad View Post
    One of those pictures looks like the Splinter Cell guy as a wizard making a droid. I guess it's supposed to be a golem maker, but I don't know of any golems that look so robotic. Is there a particular D&D setting that has those?
    Ebberon?

The old Final Fantasy Legends (1989-1991 GameBoy/GameBoy Color) had robots as player characters. Humans (fighters), Mutants (magic users), Robots (firearms) and Monsters (could change into other monsters if they ate monster meat). So robots in a fantasy setting isn't all that new.
    Last edited by Surfing HalfOrc; 2012-04-11 at 10:21 PM.
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

4. - Top - End - #34

AssassinGuy

I know. But Final Fantasy isn't really D&D is it? And I know Eberron has Warforged, but I think that's too big to be a Warforged, though I'm not positive. Just curious.

Anyway, I'm also still curious if Rich will ever draw any other Order of the Stick characters like he sketched Nale and Thog's heads and shoulders.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

I know. But Final Fantasy isn't really D&D is it? And I know Eberron has Warforged, but I think that's too big to be a Warforged, though I'm not positive. Just curious.

Anyway, I'm also still curious if Rich will ever draw any other Order of the Stick characters like he sketched Nale and Thog's heads and shoulders.
    Nope! But he might use the artwork at the final strip of OOTS, like the end of
    Spoiler
    Show
    8 bit theater.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    8 bit theater.
    I hope not :P. Like I said, I don't think any other drawing style would be better. Would changing it really add anything, especially at such a late point?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    8 bit theater.
    God I hope not. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the pictures Rich posted here, but I would see no point in doing the ending of the comic in a different style than the rest. It just seems wrong to me.
    Also, as Rich said, he hasn't drawn like that in years and that he is out of practice, so people surely would complain about a lot of things if he did, even if he made it perfect...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

If you don't have Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales, you should get it. There are some sketches of Julio Scoundrel in a more realistic style in there.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drivort View Post
    God I hope not. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the pictures Rich posted here, but I would see no point in doing the ending of the comic in a different style than the rest. It just seems wrong to me.
    Also, as Rich said, he hasn't drawn like that in years and that he is out of practice, so people surely would complain about a lot of things if he did, even if he made it perfect...
    I wanted to say like this but I don't want to offend him.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

10. - Top - End - #40

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    If you don't have Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales, you should get it. There are some sketches of Julio Scoundrel in a more realistic style in there.
    Cool, I ordered the print-only books through the Kickstarter so I should have them soon enough. I also think that making the last part or epilogue in a different style wouldn't work, there's no good reason to do that and we all love the stick figure style that's made the comic what it is. I was just wondering if Rich Burlew has decided what the characters look like in more detail, as they appear in some fan art.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it already, but Rich did some freelance art for Wizards of the Coast. I think his works are listed on his Wikipedia page.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scotchland View Post
    I don't know if anyone's mentioned it already, but Rich did some freelance art for Wizards of the Coast. I think his works are listed on his Wikipedia page.
    I could be wrong, but I think that what that means is that Rich designed some of the monster entries and wrote some of the game-related content, not that he drew the illustrations for them (although he may have, I do not know).

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think that what that means is that Rich designed some of the monster entries and wrote some of the game-related content, not that he drew the illustrations for them (although he may have, I do not know).
    Maybe. I haven't really investigated the man's work history.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Yep, those are Rich's writing credits.

Rich: The one picture -- the last of the first batch -- looks familiar to me. Is that a character picture? Or is it just something that was posted before, and I have vague memories of it from that?
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Wow, thanks, Rich! And everyone else!

The 'knight and dragon' picture makes me snicker because it perfectly communicates "I am so screwed ..." even though you can't see the knight's face.

The "Five Step" town adventure also had me snickering. That looks like something the untouchable trio + 1 would do in Jolly Blackburn's strip. Are all adventurers like that? Or did you D&D in Muncie, Indiana at some point?

The green-robed wizard looks more like Samuel L. {scrubbed} Jackson to me than Eugene. But I guess he could be retconned into Eugene.

As long as the drawing knows that political discussions are banned here
    *Smacks CoffeeIncluded upside the head*

Now you ASKED for that :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by Zeb The Troll; 2012-04-13 at 01:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

I've never done art for WOTC. Only writing. Unless you count the elemental ship deck layouts that are in the Explorer's Handbook, which you shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Are all adventurers like that? Or did you D&D in Muncie, Indiana at some point?
    Gaming during older editions, particularly before 3.X, had a strong tendency to devolve into exactly that sort of scenario. Anyone whose formative gaming years took place in the 80's or early 90's will have played with those people.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

When I see your robots, I think I could take away the idea that Skyrim (and Morrowind) is the only game with Robots powered by magic gems (other than Warjacks from Warmachine).
    Nice painting, Rich!
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

When I see your robots, I think I could take away the idea that Skyrim (and Morrowind) is the only game with Robots powered by magic gems (other than Warjacks from Warmachine).
    Nice painting, Rich!
    Yeah... that's actually not true. Many fantasy universes, especially those that stick around for a long time and have lots of people writing for them, end up with magical or pseudo-magical robots. Just to name a few off the top of my head, there are the Warforged and Inevitables of DnD, Adam of Shining Force, Escaflowne (from the show of the same name), and the Automatons of ancient Greek myth.

...also, I thought that Numidium was a really terribly idea, and it holds a special dark place in my heart for the lame role it plays in the lore of Tamriel.
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2012-04-12 at 05:05 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drivort View Post
    people surely would complain about a lot of things if he did, even if he made it perfect...
    I think a lot of people have a mental image of what the OotS cast would look like as real people, and adding more detail to each individual character (somehow I don't see Rich drawing everyone in the same way and swapping hair, eye, and skin colour as appropriate) would throw off some of those people.

Maybe he could do something fanart-related since those aren't 'word of god' depictions, but there might be copyright issues there.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

My first thought was, that it was a Warforged Titan. Love that pic, btw.