New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread X: Playground Cosmic Principle

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Short of designing your own charm tree, what is it that draws people to play infernals as opposed to abyssals or solars?
    As others have said they've got really cool Charms and their are many really cool stories you can tell with them but not the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Solars fall into the "Superman is the most boring hero to exist" flaw. They can do pretty much everything, sure (except fly and swim, zing!), but they can't do it with a unique and flavorful twist that makes them enjoyable. So what if they can run fast? Everyone can run fast! So what if they can walk on water? Everyone can walk on water!
    I'm pretty sure there's actually a Solar Charm that let's you fly. Eagle-Wing Style, I think. I know it's one of the Athletics Charms in Core.

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    I will note that I'd never play a Loyalist Infernal
    I will and have played Loyalist Infernals. But always with the intention of going rogue at some later point.

The main difference between Renegade Infernal (NOT necessarily Devil-Tiger) and Renegade Abyssal is that the Renegade Infernal does the 'pfheh, angst. I'm an Exalted!' much better than an Abyssal. On the other hand, you really can't play a Renegade infernal through the long, tortuous trek to redemption.
    This is very true.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Halfling in the Playground

Mmmm. The Ink Monkeys came up with some cool stuff (and the Daystar was awesome).

What books do you have apart from the core rulebook?
    A whole lot of them. Browsed through most, really.
    New avatar by Dirtytabs! 20% better than expected!

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

Short of designing your own charm tree, what is it that draws people to play infernals as opposed to abyssals or solars?
    The charms that are already there are so INTERESTING.
    Don't get me wrong, Solar charms are cool. You can do some awesome things-Iron Raptor is nice, Heaven Thunder Hammer is the most yellable charm outside of Malfeas trees, amd Lightning Strikes Twice is the best charm tree ever no exceptions. However, they're pretty plain. What is awesome about most solar charms is what you invest in them.

Infernal charms already have a theme. You can change that theme to a different one, but if you don't-that's cool. They're already badass.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Titan in the Playground

I've heard it likened to the difference between an adder and a multiplier. Most charmsets act like a coolness adder. The Solar one, however, is a straight multiplier: the more you put in, the more you get.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snake obsidian View Post
    A whole lot of them. Browsed through most, really.
    Be specific. Its very important that you be specific.

2nd Edition has say…..varying quality in its books. Mechanically, at the very least.

Its easy to get into pitfalls if you don't know what you've got.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Be specific. Its very important that you be specific.

2nd Edition has say…..varying quality in its books. Mechanically, at the very least.

Its easy to get into pitfalls if you don't know what you've got.
    Uh, okay, let me begin with the core book. Then, the Manuals for Abyssals, Alchemicals, Dragon-Blooded, Lunars. I´ve only glanced the Sidereal one once or twice, I´ve read the first 4 Books of Sorcery, The Scrolls of Errata, Heroes, Exalts, Monks, Celestial and Terrestrial Directions, the first four, and the Glories, but I haven´t had a chance to play yet.
    Last edited by snake obsidian; 2012-07-10 at 01:06 PM.
    New avatar by Dirtytabs! 20% better than expected!

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Troll in the Playground

What does starmetal look like? I love playing Sidereals, but I never understood what their magical material even looked like.

Is there a description anywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by industrious View Post
    What does starmetal look like? I love playing Sidereals, but I never understood what their magical material even looked like.

The description of corrupting it in the Infernals book describes the corrupted stuff as being grey with glimmers of otherworldly Malfean stars, so I'd guess at silver with sparkles on the edge of perception.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Troll in the Playground

It's apparently "sort of rainbow-hued" - I tend to imagine it as having a sort of silvery base and then being iridescent, looking a different hue depending on how the light hits it, kinda like soap bubble surfaces.

This would make a pure starmetal armor absolutely fabulous, of course. It's almost a pity starmetal armors probably don't have more than 20% starmetal tops due to how doggone rare the thing is.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-07-10 at 02:11 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Titan in the Playground

Well the Hearthstone Amulet/Bracers in the core book are sort of silvery-grey. I remember reading that artefacts made from it are usually spider web-like in design since it's so rare and that uses less of it.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, there's a proper description somewhere, probably in Oadenol's. If I recall correctly, it's basically what Drascin said - looks like steel until the light hits it right, then you get that opalescent effect.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Troll in the Playground

It is rare in only a relative sense. The dome of the great observatory of Rathes is pure starmetel made from the loyalist gods after the Primordial War. That is several hundred tons of the stuff right there just waiting for a Sidereal on vacation to make into the Pimp Coat of Fate or what have you.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    I've heard it likened to the difference between an adder and a multiplier. Most charmsets act like a coolness adder. The Solar one, however, is a straight multiplier: the more you put in, the more you get.
    So character concepts that are rather cool will end up being coolest as solar characters, while characters who are meh, or just don't fit the solar idea of cool, will be best as something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Bugbear in the Playground

So character concepts that are rather cool will end up being coolest as solar characters, while characters who are meh, or just don't fit the solar idea of cool, will be best as something else?
    It's not quite like that. It's more that if you have a theme and you play a Solar, then you're solely using that theme. Since Solars only have weak thematic associations, you absolutely have to make them interesting yourself or they're not. Other Exalt types, especially Abyssals and Infernals, already have strong fluff, which can lead to players being lazy and not adding to it in any way. It also doesn't help that some Infernal Charms are also locked - Vitriolic Corona Endowment is always a spear, so too bad, you can't be an axe-wielding Viking Slayer.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snake obsidian View Post
    Uh, okay, let me begin with the core book. Then, the Manuals for Abyssals, Alchemicals, Dragon-Blooded, Lunars. I´ve only glanced the Sidereal one once or twice, I´ve read the first 4 Books of Sorcery, The Scrolls of Errata, Heroes, Exalts, Monks, Celestial and Terrestrial Directions, the first four, and the Glories, but I haven´t had a chance to play yet.
    Ok, Scroll of the Monk and Heroes, those aren't really mechanically good at all, the developers have freely admitted that everything in Monks is a mechanical disaster because one of them didn't know anything about mechanics at the time, don't get me wrong, you can still play with them, but you have to be really careful, especially with Sidereal Martial Art's cause those are phenomenally broken. Except for the one Sidereal Martial Art in Glories: Maidens, thats fine.

And be careful around the Scroll of Hero's Merits/Flaws system, they apparently aren't that mechanically sound either.

Everything else you have….basically fine, but I'd recommend you ignore Casteless Lunars entirely……they are basically unplayable because of the mutation thing they have.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, I can answer the Infernals question with a post I made in another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Do you know why renegade Infernals with high Past Life and Savant ratings are my favorite characters? Because they know. They have the memories of an insane superpower. They are metaphysically tied to beings that want to destroy humanity, and have a half-decent reason to. And they fight them anyway. They put down Solars and Abyssals alike, fight off Dragon-Blooded and Akuma, and occasionally seduce someone when things get too stressful. They are not just props for cinematic fight scenes.
    But when the fight scenes roll around, they're good at that too.

Also. Asura's Wrath.

Anyway, as for the new player, Scroll of Heroes and Scroll of the Monk are bad. Really bad. They're for ideas only, and maybe a couple Charms or styles.

You guys all remember this, right? Well, except for snake obsidian. I think I know which Shard goes with which Empress...
    Top left: Space Opera
    Top Right: Alternate History
    Middle Left: Vanilla, duh
    Middle Right: Um... Alternate History Space Opera? Maybe the other Space Opera was young Empress entering the Sword of Creation/whatever it's called in Space Opera.
    Bottom Left: Burn Legend
    Bottom Right: Modern
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-10 at 03:27 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ogre in the Playground

In addition, Lunar Charms aren't broken (not as badly as Sidereals were) so much as just... not very good. There are a few builds that really work with them, the rest does not. Thankfully, they're getting an overhaul.

If you get Sidereals, the errata is even more vital, because their Charms are broken otherwise.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #1248

Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    That's when Solars play baseball. Infernals can throw knuckleballs.
    My Steam profile

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ogre in the Playground

Ohgod.

I can't stop laughing now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Troll in the Playground

If the Batter was also a Solar, though, then he'd perfectly parry.

...would that be considered a bunt?
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

22. - Top - End - #1252

If the Batter was also a Solar, though, then he'd perfectly parry.

...would that be considered a bunt?
    Depends on how you stunt it. If you had a perfect soak, you could also take the walk if you didn't have confidence in your Dex+Melee pool.

Unrelated question: was it ever explained why Cecelyne has the hierarchy Charms instead of SWLIHN? I don't get it; the Perfected Principle of Hierarchy has zero hierarchy Charms and instead just has SCIENCE! which is more Autochthon's schtick anyway (and the Infernal Craft set should obviously be Malfeas'). I mean, they could have given Cecelyne the Charms and used nothing but fluff about hell's laws, but it specifically mentions hierarchy.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Orc in the Playground

I remember one of the writers once describing it as what a CD looks like under the right sort of light; the shifting rainbow of different colours, depending on what colour hits it where.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post
    Depends on how you stunt it. If you had a perfect soak, you could also take the walk if you didn't have confidence in your Dex+Melee pool.
    Ah. But what happens if he uses a Perfect Defense with the Temperance Flaw?

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

25. - Top - End - #1255

Ah. But what happens if he uses a Perfect Defense with the Temperance Flaw?
    Is there a Delay of Game penalty in baseball? I haven't played since middle school.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Titan in the Playground

Unrelated question: was it ever explained why Cecelyne has the hierarchy Charms instead of SWLIHN? I don't get it; the Perfected Principle of Hierarchy has zero hierarchy Charms and instead just has SCIENCE! which is more Autochthon's schtick anyway (and the Infernal Craft set should obviously be Malfeas'). I mean, they could have given Cecelyne the Charms and used nothing but fluff about hell's laws, but it specifically mentions hierarchy.
    ...Isn't Cecelyne the Principle of Heirarchy? I thought SWLiHN merely supported her, and has the whole "no free will means they can't deviate from the Principal" thing. Autochthon's thing encompasses engineering, but isn't SCIENCE.
    My Steam profile

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Orc in the Playground

Because in SWLiHN's hierarchy you don't even have the choice of attacking or doing any of the things that Cecelyne charms prohibit; everything is a mindless extension of the hierarchy. SWLiHN doesn't need anything else to enforce her hierarchy, because anything in her hierarchy already conducts itself appropriately.

By contrast, Cecelyne is The Lawgiver, and her charms are based on making proscriptions or punishments based on her law. Her law does somewhat sync with SWLiHN's hierarchy, but the important difference is that Cecelyne still wants her subjects to have free will (so that they can 'choose' to worship her) and thus she needs to have charms to restrict that will.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Titan in the Playground

That's when Solars play baseball. Infernals can throw knuckleballs.
    Actually, when I mentioned that on the Exalted Chat, Holden commented that Infernal charms don't work with baseball, as they can only enhance the king of games: Space Jam.

Spoiler
    Show
    He may not have been entirely serious when he said this
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

...Isn't Cecelyne the Principle of Heirarchy? I thought SWLiHN merely supported her, and has the whole "no free will means they can't deviate from the Principal" thing. Autochthon's thing encompasses engineering, but isn't SCIENCE.
    SWLiHN is the Principle of Hierarchy, Cecelyne is the Endless Desert.

I like to make this distinction: Cecelyne is the arbitrary corrupted government or juridical system who will selectively apply laws or standards at it fits them. SWLiHN is the perfectly mechanical government or juridical system with no appeal for the individual.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Barbarian in the Playground

We're looking for an ST over in this thread, in case anyone's interested. Sorry if I'm interrupting any lines of debate here.

Also;

I had always assumed it was a silvery-grey sort of colour-possibly flecked with brighter metal, much like a Sid's eyes? But whatever, not like it ever comes in non-wireframe form.
    Last edited by Cyborg Mage; 2012-07-11 at 08:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King;
    Hydrogen Dioxide! It kills more people than ANYTHING ELSE! Billions are CHRONICALLY ADDICTED to it!

INCLUDING BABIES! THINK OF THE BABIES!
    Currently not doing any Let's Plays or AARs or anything, on account of being a lazy git. I'll get around to it eventually. Really.