New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Return of the Scarlet Empress IC

To Nexus

The final leg of the journey to Nexus take the form of a sail across the Grey River into the city proper. Ferries run nigh-continuously, with a small fee per head. The journey there takes four hours, the Exalted cramped and wedged in a teeming mass of at least one hundred other individuals heading the same way.

The first thing about the city that they see is the faint cloud of smoke rising in the East. Hundreds of forges and factories producing metals and products of all kinds, crammed together into a single district, engines of industry regarded among the finest in the East, if not the world.

Then come the signature towers of Nexus; gleaming white ivory buildings that seem to scrape the sky; elegant pillars and spires and domes. As the ships get even closer, they begin to make out further details; orichalcum and moonsilver and jade enameling in intricate, abstract designs. The beauty of First Age craftsmanship, now long lost to all.

But spotted shortly after the beauty of those buildings comes the remaining archetecture of Nexus. Slums and shantytowns, built not to last but so that the nearest flood will not make them an inconvinience to rebuild. There is no beauty to be found in the squat brown and grey and rust-red, or if there is, it is a poem to decay and destitution.

The ships dock, and the horde of those seeking entry to the Jewel of the East swarm out from the cramped confines of the ferry, eager to experience the newly-realized luxuries of personal space and breathing room. At the end of the wooden piers lies a gate, where scribes and guards force them into long lines, so that the entrance fee to the city may be paid.

Skandi:
    Spoiler
    Show

After being processed, the scribe offers the Lunar an envelope. It has the watermark of a wind chime in front of a crescent moon.

I would be delighted to accommodate you during your stay in Nexus. Please feel free to use my home at 45 Serenity Gardens, in the Cinnabar District near the Player's Menagerie.

Cleansing Group

Pell is visibly irritated by the lack of preferential treatment given to the Princes of the Earth, but there is little help for it. Unless they were to hire their own private boat (an extravagant expense, utilized only by the extremely wealthy), they had no other option.

Once they were in the city proper, though, he wastes no time.

"There is a Shrine of the Immaculate Order in Nexus," he states. "And given the size of the city, there should be other Cleansing groups there as well. Backup, and a safe place to summon demons."

Interlude Two: Unknown Shadowland

Spoiler
    Show

"Please," the woman begged. "Anything. I'll do anything. Just leave my baby alone."

The man who she grovelled before regarded her solemnly in silence. Round lenses encircled by thin frames of black metal framed his grey eyes, the area around them wrinkled with condescending pity. His salt and pepper hair was nearly black in the flickering torchlight, and the sideburns that adorned his face pale white. He was not dressed as a warrior or a conqueror, but seemed most similar to a businessman in his garb. Beneath a plain vest of black leather that slightly strained against his paunch, he wore a white silken shirt with a red silk cravat, and over the vest, a jacket of that same black leather, with silver designs around the lapels, the graceful lettering of classic Old Realm calligraphy.

"Please," she repeated, fear and panic evident across her body.

"...Very well."

He spoke in a deep, resonant voice, in low, comforting tones. It was a voice that belonged to a favored grandfather, to a responsible senior citizen; perhaps a distinguished, elderly mayor of a small village.

It shouldn't belong to someone like him.

Joy and gratitude seized her body, and she flung herself at his feet, crying and babbling thanks. The man did nothing to stop her, waiting patiently in place while she did so.

After a short while, she stopped, suspicion and resignation to her end of the open-ended agreement having now emerged.

"...what must I do?" she said, eyes downcast, back to groveling before him.

The man chose his words carefully.

"I am not a cruel man, my lady. I will not abandon your child away motherless. Instead, I will make you a citizen of this domain, with all the rights and privileges thereof. You will be able to care for your baby, my dear."

He held up a hand before she could fully express her appreciation.

"But there is a cost."

"...Anything. So long as I am with my baby. Thank you, sweet merciful lord, thank you..."

"Do not thank me yet. Please, lie down on the table."

She did as was bid, expecting her body to be used as payment, and still willing to do so for her child. With a few quick motions, before she could react, the man fastened tight straps of leather around her wrists and ankles. He remained clothed.

"...My lord?"

"I apologize in advance, my lady. This will hurt. But I swear that I will spare you unnecessary agony, and you willingly agreed."

From a small table nearby, he selected a scalpel from a set of ten, each one honed to a razor's edge and placed in order of increasing size.

His voice was soft, and grandfatherly. A gentle butcher to a frightened, bleating lamb.

"Remember, my lady. You do this because of your child. There must be no tears, no regrets. And in the end, you will be safe here. "

With the scalpel, he gently traced the lines of her garb, as the fabrics shredded before his light, delicate touch.

"Let us begin."

Hours later, he emerged from the room, carrying several bins clearly marked with measurements and labelled according to various properties. These components would be used for various endeavors and experiments, prototype killing machines and advances in a science still in its infancy.

In a short while, the woman's soul would rise as a ghost, and when it did so, he would be there to place her child in her arms. He was a man of his word.
    Last edited by industrious; 2012-07-29 at 12:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Child

The entrance fee isn't a problem, and being near a Celestial Gate is something of a relief.

Thus, Child ends up standing with the others a little ways into the gates.

"I guess now we should look for Rosacarnis Stormwrack? Do we want to do that as a group, or as individuals?"
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

Skandi accepts the envelope with quiet thanks, glances at the contents, then turns to Child. "We can cover more ground if we split up, but we need to have a central meeting place so that we aren't completely divided. I'm new to Nexus; any suggestions as to where?"

Edit - Perception+Awareness.
    Last edited by Aevylmar; 2012-07-29 at 03:07 PM.
    R.I.P. Skandi the Wolf of Return of the Scarlet Empress

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

Friendplug: Arpista Editing!

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Rose shrugs slightly. "I've never been to Nexus either. Matsui, have you?"

She's privately glad that the whole cycle of 'Aya trying to treat Penumbra, gets rebuffed' is over. The whole cycle frustrated her no end.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

Matsui

"Once, years before you were born, Rose. I didn't really like it here."

The cobbled and cramped streets are bustling with activity as people unload. On opposite sides from each other, a street preacher for the Cult of the Illuminated engages an evangelist of the Immaculate Order in a verbal duel, before escalating their spiritual debate into one considerably more earthy, in both the literal and figurative sense. Another steals the boxes they stood on, and begins his own patter.

"Sinner of Nexus, beware! For too long, have you wallowed in the filth and corruption! Beware! The Law is coming to Nexus, and there will be a great Reckoning! Bew-"

His speech is cut short, as the crowds laugh off his predictions and throw stones at him.

"I remember there was an inn I stayed at for the night I was here. The Eagle's Wings, I believe. Unfortunately, it's near the Shrine of the Immaculate Order."
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Child rubs his chin, deep in thought. He's been through Nexus, but not as often as some, and generally he didn't stay the night. Still, a couple times he's needed to stay in Creation to get work done, and there's a pretty good place to stay, if he could only remember the name. Something odd, that would make you expect a brothel, not a inn.

"Last time I was here there was a relatively decent inn, on Sentinel hill. Not the most respectable, but they don't ask too many questions, and don't mind weapons, or odd schedules, as long as they aren't used in the premise. Pretty sure it used to be a brothel, but they owners never changed the name, and it sure as hell isn't one now. The Nervous Neomah, if it's still up. Probably a good as place as any to gather, if we do want to split up, and it would be a place to spend the night if we need to."
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

7. - Top - End - #367
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aya's annoyances were growing and were easy for some to see. She was growing short and terse, but no one would know the reason for it. She used her power sparingly, so painfully sparingly. She wanted to flaunt it! Penumbra's refusal still grated on her. It rubbed on her like sand. She was very silent when they hit Nexus, she resisted throwing people off of the ferry, and it continued to gnaw at her when they reached the gates. At this point she didn't care where they stayed or what if they split up, but she stood near Sierra some of her prized hair wrapped around a finger and playing with her slightly pouty red lips, while the men talked. Eventually her thoughts and eyes drifted moving across the street.

Spoiler
    Show
    Per + Aware (5d10)[6][1][6][1][7](21)

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

Aya

Her eyes drift across the street.

And she catches the sight of a kindred spirit. Someone like her.

He was tall, and thin, all angles and curves, and as their eyes meet, his widen.

And then he smiles, and waves casually over to her as he swivels on his heel, walking away from the group. In a few seconds, he'll be gone.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aya tilts her head and blinks with a curious look replacing a pouty look. She takes two steps and turns swiftly. "We're splitting up right? I will head off first, meet you all back at that... former brothel place, or the other. I'll find you, regardless." With that she gives them a smile, turns letting her hair flow behind her, and then takes chase after this person that has caught her eye.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

"Good," Besi says, as unimpressed with scenery as she was with Pell's whining about their transportation, "it's a big city, maybe they've heard something."
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

Aya

Assuming Aya is alone,
    Spoiler
    Show

The person heads into a backalley, and as Aya follows him into the darkness, he kneels, groveling at her feet.

"My lady," he whispers. "I have orders to take any of your kindred to my master. Shall I do so, Blessed One?"

Pell

The Shrine to the Immaculate Order is a compound surrounded by stone walls of sturdy construction, with jade mosaics around the interior displaying important passages from the Immaculate Texts. The buildings inside are wood, with curved roofs in the classic style.

"Sorry," Pell says as they walk towards the center building in the compound. "But what exactly are we looking for? Didn't you tell me that all that Anathema said was that they'd be in Nexus?"

Looking over his shoulder, he dismisses Maren with an idle wave of his hand.

"Sorry, girl. Only Exalted are allowed in the Holy of Holies."

Pell and Besi continue their march up the spiraling steps to the building, symbolizing the ascent of a soul throughout lifetimes. At its top is a larger building for the Exalted alone; mortals are only permitted in Holy of Holies while the building is unfinished, and this one had stood here for nearly a century.

"Welcome, brother. Welcome sister."

A man with a lean, dangerous build and a shock of hair the color of freshly driven snow nods solemnly to them as they enter. His expression of piety holds perhaps two seconds after the greeting.

"What news from your Cleansing? My group was just telling the local chapter head about how we brought down this one Forsaken named Dace; I had this amazing plan, see..."

He stops, slaps the palm of his hand to his forehead.

"But where are my manners? Cathak-Darmuk Nalis. Immaculate Master of the Path of Air."

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

12. - Top - End - #372
    Orc in the Playground

"I don't think it is a good idea for us to go off alone. The assassin surely noticed that his list was ripped, and if he was paying attention at all, he could have set a trap for us. That isn't accounting for the Dragonblooded that you all let go, who know what Skandi and Rose look like, and are probably going to come at you again." Penumbra points out in a dispassionate voice. She has an ulterior motive for wanting the party to stick together, to serve as protection against her pursuers, but she still would advocate this course of action otherwise.

13. - Top - End - #373

Skandi considers Penumbra's point, then sighs as he sees Aya rush off. "Perhaps we should try to move in pairs? An old acquaintance of mine invited me to visit, and I'm somewhat worried that a stampede of half-a-dozen Exalts arriving on his doorstep might discomfit him slightly."

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Matsui

She nods curtly.

"I'll go with Rose."

Guess Matsui was still protective of Rose.

"We can look for armor while you...entertain."

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Child nods his head, understanding Skandi's desire.

"If he wasn't concerned, then I'd be worried. If we need to find you before that, mind sharing the person's name or address? Considering we know at least one Cleansing is likely to be in the area, I figure caution is a best practice."
    Satomi by Elagune

16. - Top - End - #376
    Orc in the Playground

Penumbra shrugs. She moves closer to Child, signaling her intention to stick with him. His talk with that girl in the cleansing is still fresh in her memory and she knows he is more than he appears to be, though not what that exactly is. He is not a man she wants to let out of her sights for very long.
    Last edited by Incendius; 2012-07-30 at 08:22 PM.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Rose nods. "All right. Where do you want to meet up, Skandi?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #378
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Aya stops before him and crosses her arms and leaning back slightly regarding the man. For a moment she watches him, debating her options.

"Who might your benevolent master be that I might want to let my 'kindred' be in his care? After all, while I am pleased for an ally in this place, I fear that I do not know him, but he apparently seems to know of me and my comrades."
    Last edited by Illyceria; 2012-07-31 at 12:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379

"Well, that crosses everyone else off, and I think our mystery girl is on the list of people who I really, really don't want Soc to meet..."

"Child's disreputable inn sounds like an excellent place to meet up. I'll try to see you there, or at least get a message. For now, though, I'll want to pay a visit to my old ally, alone if possible. He stays at 45 Serenity Gardens, by the way."

Skandi flashes the group a smile - especially Rose - before blending into the crowd, an action that would be nearly impossible were the city not Nexus.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

Aya

Spoiler
    Show

"I am sorry, Blessed and Most Holy One," he grovels. "But it is your kind he wishes to meet with, not those unworthy ones, and I am not permitted to say more. Not even his Holy and Great Name. Shall I take you to him?"

OOC: Please put your IC posts in spoilers until otherwise notified.

Rose and Matsui

"...Now, where can we get you decent armor?" Matsui says as they walk through the streets and baazars of Nexus.

"I know there's a place that sells stolen Lookshyian gear, but they aren't very likely to have orichalcum, though they would have some jade pieces..."

From a darkened alleyway, a man whistles to get their attention.

"Hey! Ladies!" he shout-whispers. "You looking for the armor of the gods?"

Skandi

Serenity Gardens in in a fashionable area of the Cinnebar District. The houses are terraced, the cobblestones have given way to marble tiles, and there isn't a carriage to be found here; everyone walks. Hanging plants line either side of the street, and there is a koi pond in from of his destination.

Walking up five steps to the door of the home, he is greeted by a young man, with a surly disposition and a hungry glint in his eye, dressed in a plain white robe.

"What do you want?"
    Last edited by industrious; 2012-07-31 at 09:14 AM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

21. - Top - End - #381

Skandi smiles, showing his fangs, and holds the card up so White-Robe can see it. "Hello. My name is Skandi; Chimes invited me to pay a visit. And you are?"

22. - Top - End - #382
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Aya's frown was replaced with a friendly smile. "Mysterious. Very well, let me meet with..." She stopped a moment and tilts her head to the side. This might be trouble. A lot of trouble. That kind of trouble that you do not go to head first, the kind of trouble that you think about and avoid or approach with caution. At least this was likely what Smiling Rose was talking about. Besides if it was her companions that he had claimed as being unworthy... well... then perhaps they were. Their worth was likely "Yes, let us meet with your most gracious master." Her smile returns but the friendly warmth of it was gone, and motioned for him to lead the way.
    Last edited by Illyceria; 2012-07-31 at 12:40 PM.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

Skandi

His demeanor instantly changes, becoming more wary and much more formal.

"Unfettered Fledgling. This way, please."

Fledgling leads Skandi quickly through the hallways and up the stairs, never pausing or bothering to show the other Lunar around. A richly painted door sits atop the stairs.

Fledgling knocks.

"Skandi here to see you, sir."

A deep, somewhat hoarse voice resonates from the other side.

"Thank you, Fledgling. Return to your studies; I expect a solution to the problem in two hours."

Chimes is seated behind a desk, long, spider-like fingers and quill nimbly dancing over paper. Upon Skandi's entrance, he immediately stops writing, leaving aside the parchment as his rises to greet the younger Lunar.

The room Skandi's in appears to be an office. To his right lies the desk where Chimes is currently seated, with two chairs (neither of which looks as comfortable as the one the elder Lunar is seated in) across from it. To his left, a small table and chairs. The far wall is dominated mostly by bookshelves; books and scrolls and manuscripts on all manner of topics. But the shelf closest to the other man holds more eclectic objects: Two eggs, one plain, the other apparently made of jade and gemstones; a dagger; an intricate wooden puzzle box; a ratty piece of string. That shelf is otherwise bare.

"Skandi! How wonderful to see you still alive and in one piece!"

Chimes is a handsome man, with eyes that seem to cut through the soul, and a curling, shoulder-length mane of black hair. There is an off-center stripe of white in that hair, and he wears the badge proudly. He is garbed in a royal purple robe woven of the highest quality silk, nearly opaque at his torso and shoulders and long, flowing sleeves that gradually more transparent before becoming sheer at the wrists, where silver chimes tinkle with every movement. Through the sleeves, one can see the thin ropes spiral up his arms, knotted around his shoulders.

"How have you been, my boy? What news from Lookshy?"

Aya

Spoiler
    Show

Aya's frown was replaced with a friendly smile. "Mysterious. Very well, let me meet with..." She stopped a moment and tilts her head to the side. This might be trouble. A lot of trouble. That kind of trouble that you do not go to head first, the kind of trouble that you think about and avoid or approach with caution. At least this was likely what Smiling Rose was talking about. Besides if it was her companions that he had claimed as being unworthy... well... then perhaps they were. Their worth was likely "Yes, let us meet with your most gracious master." Her smile returns but the friendly warmth of it was gone, and motioned for him to lead the way.

"Of course, my lady."

The man leads her through the streets of the city, which steadily get nicer and nicer with every step she takes. The filth and grimy cobblestones of the Nighthammer District slowly gives way to paved flagstone, and eventually to polished marble.

She finds herself in front of an elegantly built theater, and at a word from her guide, is let inside.

As she moves through the lobby and into the theater proper, her ears begin to pick up the sound of wondrous music, and as she enters, she notices that she is alone save for the man upon the stage.

He is tall and rake-thin, dressed in a tight silk red shirt and loose black pants. His hair is jet-black, reflecting no light despite the burning candles upon the wooden stage. He pluck at the strings of his instrument with loving hands, enraptured by the piece he is playing. His fingers flow gracefully, tapping out a melody, coaxing the instrument as if it were a lover. The music continues to wash over her, and only her, alone amongst the empty seats, and then, with a final harmony...it ends.

The man stands, bowing to an imagined audience, and at the sight of Aya, bows even lower, thin and red lips parting in a smile.

"My dear," he says, his voice sensual and melodious. "such a beauty I have never seen before. Might I not be honored to know your name, so that my lips could speak it?"
    Last edited by industrious; 2012-07-31 at 12:55 PM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Child

Child's not entirely displeased by the turn of events: now he has something of an excuse to check out this Chimes fellow, and he might have a chance to learn more about one of his companions.

"<Looks like it's just us now. Best be about it, then. Unless you have a trick for finding Mr. Stormwrack, I fear we'll have to just ask around for now.>"

With that, Child leads the ghost-blood towards a group of mercenaries with armbands, signifying that they are working for the Council as law enforcers. Switching from Old Realm to the more usable Rivertounge, he questions them.

"Hey, you know where to find a Rosacarnis Stormwrack? Or anyone who could point us in the right direction?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I figure Investigation+attribute is what I need to roll, though I'm unsure about the attribute.

I seem to remember the last EST I used on Stormwrack was blocked by fate protection, so I doubt I can use easy mode.
    Satomi by Elagune

25. - Top - End - #385

Skandi smiles warmly, walking towards Chimes's desk with eager strides and holding out his hand to shake. "Good to see you too, Chimes. I've been very well - and I can see the same's true of you! - but the situation in Lookshy hasn't been."

He frowns, suddenly becoming more businesslike. "Lookshy is supporting the Cleansing, and there's at least one group they let pass across their eastern border. I can't help but assume some sort of charm or sorcery was behind the vote; it wasn't a very popular decision."

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

Penumbra shrugs and stays close to Child, standing about a foot behind him and off to his right, right over his shadow. She comments to him in Old Realm before he addresses the soldiers. "Not a clue. If you can locate somewhere hes been, I can get us to him no problem, but I can't find him without a trail."

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Child and Penumbra
    Spoiler
    Show

Charisma + Investigation, I should think. You're being very straightforward.
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3631892/

Six Successes, too.

"Huh," one of them says after a minute. "Sounds familiar, but I ain't got nothing. Try one of the boys up in Bastion, though. Seems to bring that area to mind."

Bastion was the richest of all the Nexian districts. The expression "the streets are paved with gold" is, in this instance, literally true.

Unfortunately, when they cross into said district, they find their path blocked by a pair of armband-wearing mercenaries, truncheons at the ready.

"Don't you lot ever learn?" they sneer. "No bums in Bastion. Get back to Nighthammer where you belong, scum."

Spoiler
    Show

Penumbra doesn't have a high enough Socialize or Appearance for this district. Shame.

Skandi smiles warmly, walking towards Chimes's desk with eager strides and holding out his hand to shake. "Good to see you too, Chimes. I've been very well - and I can see the same's true of you! - but the situation in Lookshy hasn't been."

He frowns, suddenly becoming more businesslike. "Lookshy is supporting the Cleansing, and there's at least one group they let pass across their eastern border. I can't help but assume some sort of charm or sorcery was behind the vote; it wasn't a very popular decision."
    Chimes

"Well? Well?"

He gestures at his office, at the shelves of books on the wall and the Graces next to him. His arms encompass the seven obol quill in at his desk and the tasteful nude sculpture of Luna behind the table.

Chimes is very rarely overtly angry. But he nearly shouted that last "Well". Hands quivering with rage, he calms himself visibly and with great difficulty.

"You and I, Skandi, have very different definitions of well. This house is supposed to be strictly for business; it wasn't intended for long-term habilitation. But nearly a year ago, some damned deathknight starts ruining one of my operations, invades my manse, and takes it over from me! Defend What is Yours, and she forces me into a tactical disengagement. Well? I don't think so!"

He's panting by the end of it, and silence falls upon the room for several moments.

"...Fledgling, I've told you to stop listening at the door. Go back to your studies."

His voice is now very tightly controlled, a sharpened scalpel barely holding back the cancer of his fury.

"As for Lookshy's sudden change of heart, I think we can blame our ancient enemies for that injustice. The Chosen of the Stars have grown desperate in their attempts to wipe us out; even moreso now that the Righteous God-Kings have returned."

He speaks of the returning Solars with his usual sneer and sarcasm.

"My agents have informed me that the Mask of Winters prepares for war. Lookshy now supports the puppet Realm and the treacherous Stars. The Bull of the North hasn't made any offensive action in the last twenty years. They're planning something, Skandi. They're planning something big."
    Last edited by industrious; 2012-07-31 at 01:25 PM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Child

Sometimes, the straightforward method gives the best results, even for a Sidereal.

"We aren't bums, we're visitors. We just arrived in the City, and we need to speak with Rosacarnis Stormwrack. Let us by, guard."

And if not, the less straightforward routes are always possibilities.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charisma+Presence:(6d10)[10][5][9][2][7][6](39)

Stunt, if any: (3d10)[7][4][10](21)
    Satomi by Elagune

29. - Top - End - #389

Skandi growled. "I hadn't realized you'd lost so much. If you need help getting your own back from that deathknight, I'm glad to provide it." Left unspoken is, in fact, that the favor-owing will tick a point towards Skandi.

He leans forward. "I'm afraid this isn't just a social call. I was actually hunting a deathknight of my own. He's been assassinating people belonging to some mysterious group, and he tried to frame Thorns for an attack on Lookshy. I've got half a dozen Exalts at my back, most of them claiming to be god-bloods, all of them hunting for him just as I am.

"I doubt they'd object to going after your deathknight, too, if you can aim us at the one we're after. His next target is Rosacarnis Stormwrack."

He relaxes again. "Oh, one more question. Just who are these mystery men he's after? I know that they and their associates include or included Lin Arba, Unmoving Voyager, Ever-Growing Furor, Blazing Jubiliant, and Rosacarnis and Emerald Stormwrack."

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Penumbra and Child

The men look at each other, seeking confirmation and unity.

"...The Stormwrack Estate is on 1 Brindel Way. We'll be checking up there soon to make sure you're supposed to be there."

The stomp off, angry at their inability to bully those less fortunate.

Skandi growled. "I hadn't realized you'd lost so much. If you need help getting your own back from that deathknight, I'm glad to provide it." Left unspoken is, in fact, that the favor-owing will tick a point towards Skandi.

He leans forward. "I'm afraid this isn't just a social call. I was actually hunting a deathknight of my own. He's been assassinating people belonging to some mysterious group, and he tried to frame Thorns for an attack on Lookshy. I've got half a dozen Exalts at my back, most of them claiming to be god-bloods, all of them hunting for him just as I am.

"I doubt they'd object to going after your deathknight, too, if you can aim us at the one we're after. His next target is Rosacarnis Stormwrack."

He relaxes again. "Oh, one more question. Just who are these mystery men he's after? I know that they and their associates include or included Lin Arba, Unmoving Voyager, Ever-Growing Furor, Blazing Jubiliant, and Rosacarnis and Emerald Stormwrack."
    Symphony of Chimes

"No need for that, thank you. Autumn's currently repaying her challenge during our last little adventure. She's currently attempting to break back into the manse, and bring it back under proper control."

He taps his index finger softly against his head at the names.

"It sounds familiar...Arba...Jubilant...Stomwrack?"

He points to one of the bookcases.

"Second shelf, third book from the left. Notes from my loremaster, now unfortunately an insipid little No Moon. Not Fledgling, of course."

Peering over the tome, his lips purse and tighten as he scans its contents.

"Stormwrack. Here we are. Originally the owners of a small casino in Nexus, Cascading Stomwrack ended up going into debt...owed a great deal to unknown individuals...one known child, Emerald, who vanished nearly seventy years ago, at age seventeen."

He smiles, then, a hunter's smile.

"My dear Skandi," he drawls. "At that point, the Solar Host hadn't reemerged. And he obviously isn't a member of the Silver Pact."

He chooses his next words carefully. Daintily. Like picking the legs off of insects.

"I think, Skandi, that we have just gotten confirmation of a Sidereal identity. And given what you say...you've been in contact with one of them, too."

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2