New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Elemental's Excitingly Excellent Random Banter: No.CLXXVII

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I should go to bed, because I'm dead tired, but I don't really feel like it. Stepping into my third decade was a lot less satisfying than I'd hoped. I got a new fleece jacket to replace the old one, and that's always nice, but this day was pretty much below par in most regards, and even though the weather was nice, I didn't have any time to enjoy it...
    I think I need a walk.
    Third decade? Wouldn't that make you 30? Just curious.

And yha..I hate when those drab feelings show up. Hope things get better man *Hugs*

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Ah, but a mace can easily be hidden underneath a cassock!
    Point, but it can get so messy.

I'm proud that you remembered the whole thing in Latin. I've also added that De Malo to my Amazon wish list because of you. I've been trying to decipher that phrase in it's larger context (I found the Latin text), but to be honest it has been baffling. I can't wait to learn Latin next year and get better at these things. Also, read Aquinas. He's the man. This is a good book that introduces you to why he is the man.
    I know. I'm proud of it too. I'm normally pants at remembering quotations, so just remembering the ten or so words was pretty good.
    Glad I was able to point you to another work by Thomas of Aquinas that you've not read, or possibly heard of. I don't know what it's meaning is in the greater context, it was just that few lines that struck me as interesting in the greater context because of the - I don't think you'd be interested in the greater context.
    And that's another book to add to my List. I've got a whole section of my favourites devoted to Books I Want.

Oh? What age did they think you are? Since I arrived here people have assumed that I'm in my early twenties. Since I turned twenty in March, they are for once right about me. As for youthful appearance, I had that too. People regularly thought me to be 3-4 years younger than I really am when basing their estimate on appearance. Then I grew out a beard, and now I look like my own age.
    Mid-twenties to twenty-seven. When I was sixteen or seventeen. Yeah . . . Coidzor's still a bit embarrassed in thinking that I was twenty-seven.
    As for you? I'd kind of pegged you at about seventeen to nineteen for a few years. Never really occurred to me to ask oddly enough.
    I just figured you were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus-R.C._Mina View Post
    Reading, reading, reading.
    The carven wood
    that whistles to the whispers of a flutist
    in the cold night air 'neath starlit eaves
    The graven rock
    that stands 'midst greenfields swaying
    from age to age chronicling heroes' falls
    The etched metal
    that glows from fire and from blood
    smoking with execution, smoking with saga
    The scratched clay
    that smells of the grain-tallies it'd recorded
    and deeds of commoners and kings alike
    The painted stone
    that sings of the gods who were
    and cries of countless Carcossas
    The parched scrolls
    that sated for but a time, scholars' thirsts
    and fed the fires of Baghdad and Beijing
    The illuminated tome
    that shines of the glory of God
    whose many names bleed mothers dry
    The block-cut prints
    that sped on the spread of knowing
    and knew the squalls of a new age
    The copper and plastic
    that now we so unthinking breathe
    and take us back, where once we came
    Lightning that once we'd feared,
    to circuitways be now harnessed
    Enchained.

Reading, you say? Koff. Thanks for that bit of flash-inspiration.
    *wistful sigh*
    Oh I've missed you and your poetry you wonderful, wonderful man you. This is totally canon to Koorlyshtka and Koorilithulu. May I sig this?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    *sigh* Someone at school was talking about how glad they were that their paternal grandmother lived a good full life. Someone else asked how old their grandmother had been when she died. The first someone said 65. I happen to know the first someone's dad is in their 40s.

My dad is 63.

I don't like thinking of mortality.
    Sixty-five isn't old. My maternal granddad is eighty-odd now. Hell, your dad's only eleven years older than my mother. Not bad all things told. Some people are just twilight years babies.

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    The worst part for me is it feels like the only thing I have to contribute is the fact that I feel old.

So, after hearing that my left shoulder is crinkly, I turned back to the stove to put my onions in to find the stove-top on fire!

I love it when someone can't clean the damned frying pan.
    I hear you. I have a sore knee that aches when I stand up after sitting down for even a short while. Although I do sit oddly.

And really? Didn't clean the frying pan? What. Can't people . . . oh I don't. Learn how to use a sponge and some bloody fairy liquid! You know. CLEAN UP.
    Seriously.

ION:
    Why is it that the only brand of paracetamol I have leaves a gipping taste in the back of my mouth? Even after guzzling several cups of water.
    HATE.
    Also I am thinking of being hungry, but I don't know if I can be bothered. This is a certain level of laziness that only university students and nerds can reach.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I hear you. I have a sore knee that aches when I stand up after sitting down for even a short while. Although I do sit oddly.

And really? Didn't clean the frying pan? What. Can't people . . . oh I don't. Learn how to use a sponge and some bloody fairy liquid! You know. CLEAN UP.
    Seriously.
    We are far to old for our time.

And it turned out alright. The rice is a little gummy, but watching the rain fall, listening to Noriyuki Iwadare, and drinking my vodka makes it all better.

On a related note, I drink waaaaaaay to much vodka.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ettin in the Playground

I know! I think Archbishop TUrpin is my favourite character, he's just riding around killing pagans, blessing them in a religion they don't believe in - just to rub it in their face that they got killed by a priest.
    And then when ROland and Oliver are having a lover's quarrel he rides up to them and gives them a metaphorical bitchslap!

Now.
    Ahem.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
    So worried! This exam has a commentary passage in a language which I've studied comparatively little, but that's okay, it's a commentary, everything's there! And then I have two essays and I don't know enough to answer at least one of them!
    One hour to go and it's back to frantic reading of summaries and random quote mining! (Totally not random)

And I've got these little two or three word quotations floating through my head!
    Any place in the book can be mined for quotes and interpreted beyond reasonable conception, so no random quote is random in that book.
    *sigh*

Seminaries just don't teach us now like they used to.
    They don't teach you basic sword techinque? Preposterous!
    Ah, it is a shame that the mace thing is only a myth. I think I'd look rather dashing with one, particularly if it was the flanged kind. Many of my problems would be solved through effective mace action. For example, fifty pages of dry reading to do for tomorrow's class. The solution? HIT THE BOOK WITH A MACE!!!!!!!!
    In modern times we use winrar to compress books instead of maces.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

5. - Top - End - #1025

Point, but it can get so messy.
    True. To be honest, in America revolvers have been more our style. There's a story about a Civil War chaplain who while celebrating Mass for some soldiers was interrupted by an angry mob who wanted to cause him harm (they didn't agree with him on some things). He turns around, and promptly pulls out two guns from under his vestments and says "By the grace of God and these two revolvers I will not move from this place." The mob promptly left. Clearly, it pays to be prepared.

I know. I'm proud of it too. I'm normally pants at remembering quotations, so just remembering the ten or so words was pretty good.
    Glad I was able to point you to another work by Thomas of Aquinas that you've not read, or possibly heard of. I don't know what it's meaning is in the greater context, it was just that few lines that struck me as interesting in the greater context because of the - I don't think you'd be interested in the greater context.
    And that's another book to add to my List. I've got a whole section of my favourites devoted to Books I Want.
    Well, I actually looked up that quote. I found an English translation alongside the Latin which explained it all. It's part of the format in which Aquinas writes in. Here it is, in case you're not familiar with it:

• Question?
    • Answer: It's one that Aquinas disagrees with, usually phrased as a "No" to the question asked.
    • Objections: Aquinas provides the best arguments in favor of that answer
    • On the Contrary: Aquinas quotes some authority that contradicts the objections
    • I answer that: Aquinas expands his opinion on the matter, and why he disagrees with the objections.
    • Replies: Aquinas addresses each objection individually.

The quote you gave is from one of the objections in Question 15, Article 2 of the De Malo, so it is there to be refuted.

Mid-twenties to twenty-seven. When I was sixteen or seventeen. Yeah . . . Coidzor's still a bit embarrassed in thinking that I was twenty-seven.
    As for you? I'd kind of pegged you at about seventeen to nineteen for a few years. Never really occurred to me to ask oddly enough.
    I just figured you were cool.
    Well, for a few years 17-19 wasn't wrong. I only turned 20 in March, so your guess is the most accurate one ever made in the Playground.

Seriously.
    Fairy liquid? Is this really what you call dish detergent?

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    They don't teach you basic sword techinque? Preposterous!
    I know! It's a tragedy!

In modern times we use winrar to compress books instead of maces.
    Can this compress them into my mind so I don't have to devote time to reading some of them?
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2012-05-21 at 04:24 PM.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ettin in the Playground

True. To be honest, in America revolvers have been more our style. There's a story about a Civil War chaplain who while celebrating Mass for some soldiers was interrupted by an angry mob who wanted to cause him harm (they didn't agree with him on some things). He turns around, and promptly pulls out two guns from under his vestments and says "By the grace of God and these two revolvers I will not move from this place." The mob promptly left. Clearly, it pays to be prepared.
    Why is there not an anime of him?
    I know! It's a tragedy!
    Truly tragic, considering the importance of such a skill. What would history be if Pope Leo I had not slain the wholeness of the Hun invasion on one day.
    Can this compress them into my mind so I don't have to devote time to reading some of them?
    Word has auto-summary...
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

7. - Top - End - #1027

Why is there not an anime of him?
    Well, this trope demands inaccurate depictions, so we can hardly allow for a real figure.

Truly tragic, considering the importance of such a skill. What would history be if Pope Leo I had not slain the wholeness of the Hun invasion on one day.
    Exactly! That's what I keep telling them, but no one listens to me! Although when it comes to great warriors like Leo I, I prefer Julius II, if only because he actually did fight.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

8. - Top - End - #1028

Actually, I think I'm now comfortable joining the GITP FB chat.
    I just remembered that you said this. So how come you haven't actually joined yet?

At least you're guaranteed not to repeat anything.
    Well, there are a few songs which appear on both lists, and some which may appear multiple times on the same list because they're on multiple albums, but repetition is certainly unlikely.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    *hug*

My parents are 57 and 58, my grandparents all around 85. When I was 10 years old, the thought, that my parents would be 80 (maybe even dead), when I will be 40 was really a problem for me. It sometimes still is.
    Yeah. Well, my all of my grandparents have been dead for a bit. My dad's dad was born in 1899 and died a good 30 years before I was born. His mom and my mom's dad were born in 1912, and my mom's mom was born in 1917.

Sixty-five isn't old. My maternal granddad is eighty-odd now. Hell, your dad's only eleven years older than my mother. Not bad all things told. Some people are just twilight years babies.
    I don't think it's old either, which is why I found it quite disconcerting.
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

10. - Top - End - #1030

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    No, your third decade is from 20-29. 30 is the end of your third decade.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    I just remembered that you said this. So how come you haven't actually joined yet?
    Because it was super late in the evening at the time?

12. - Top - End - #1032

Ohh, ok. My bad

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

Fairy liquid? Is this really what you call dish detergent?
    To clarify for the Oxfordian, it's one of the more dominant brands of washing-up liquid (/dish detergent) in the UK- to the point of being referred to as the assumed brand...

Not even sure that Oxfordian is the right word, but it should convey my meaning until Curly ridicules me for using the wrong regional descriptor...

Also on the subject of Oxford, is it just me, or does the subject of Oxford dons suggest that Oxford ought to have some sort of mafia?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Titan in the Playground

Thufir got it right. I'm 20 years and, umm... 18-19 hours old right now (I was born at 9 in the morning).

And yha..I hate when those drab feelings show up. Hope things get better man *Hugs*
    Things did indeed get better. I started walking, got even more upset, calmed down and walked until my feet took me here to the electronics lab room. It's half past 3 in the morning and I've spent the last four hours carefully pushing wires further into their holes to prevent loose connections, as well as upgrading it a bit. I'm currently pondering if going home or even trying to get some sleep will be worth the effort...

Oh, well, back to pondering our "off pulse" detector. It's not working and that's bugging me till no end.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1035

Thufir got it right. I'm 20 years and, umm... 18-19 hours old right now (I was born at 9 in the morning).

Things did indeed get better. I started walking, got even more upset, calmed down and walked until my feet took me here to the electronics lab room. It's half past 3 in the morning and I've spent the last four hours carefully pushing wires further into their holes to prevent loose connections, as well as upgrading it a bit. I'm currently pondering if going home or even trying to get some sleep will be worth the effort...

Oh, well, back to pondering our "off pulse" detector. It's not working and that's bugging me till no end.
    Ahh, sweet. I to am 20.

Glad things got better, but be careful. Electricity and sleepiness don't go well together.

16. - Top - End - #1036

Ahh, sweet. I too am 20.
    Let us all rejoice at being twenty!

*breaks out the champagne*
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2012-05-21 at 09:01 PM.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Titan in the Playground

Ahh, sweet. I to am 20.
    I know. You've told me a number of times.

Glad things got better, but be careful. Electricity and sleepiness don't go well together.
    I'm not actually especially sleepy. It's a bit hard to stay focused, but I'm still mostly capable of rational thought. Also, this is low voltage/low current electricity, and the internal mechanisms of this circuit tables are riddiculous. We couldn't burn any fuses even if we wanted to, and even less electrocut something else.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ogre in the Playground

Let us all rejoice at being twenty!

*breaks out the champagne*
    *grumble* old people *grumble grumble*
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

19. - Top - End - #1039

I know. You've told me a number of times.

I'm not actually especially sleepy. It's a bit hard to stay focused, but I'm still mostly capable of rational thought. Also, this is low voltage/low current electricity, and the internal mechanisms of this circuit tables are riddiculous. We couldn't burn any fuses even if we wanted to, and even less electrocut something else.
    Ah, right XP

Ohh, ok. Have fun harnessing electricity!

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Eon View Post
    *grumble* old people *grumble grumble*
    You're free to hang out with me if you wish, I am but a miserable 17 year old.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ogre in the Playground

Hooray! Slightly less out of place!

I am but a measly 16 years old.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

22. - Top - End - #1042

*angrily waves his cane*

Away with ye, non-crotchety youths!
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

*angrily waves his cane*

I can be crotchety! I swear! Err...

*Steals cane and begins waving*
    Darn you whippersnappers! Get away from my tacos!
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

<3

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Eon View Post
    Hooray! Slightly less out of place!

I am but a measly 16 years old.
    Eh. That's fine. I happen to enjoy some 14 year olds even ... Though I will be 18 in September. *boogies*

25. - Top - End - #1045

Eh. That's fine. I happen to enjoy some 14 year olds even ... Though I will be 18 in September. *boogies*
    Celebrate your 18th birthday by exercising all your new rights! Gamble! Buy tobacco! Do jury duty! Join the military! Get tried as an adult in court! Get married!
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2012-05-21 at 09:47 PM.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Celebrate your 18th birthday by exercising all your new rights! Gamble! Buy tobacco! Do jury duty! Join the military! Get tried as an adult in court! Get married!
    At least one of those is against my code of ethics. May smoke some though. I'd probably really enjoy it, but I have some asthma and I like to sing. Also, it's not good for those with healthy lungs...

27. - Top - End - #1047

At least one of those is against my code of ethics. May smoke some though. I'd probably really enjoy it, but I have some asthma and I like to sing. Also, it's not good for those with healthy lungs...
    If you do, don't do it often, and don't do it with anything cheap. The taste of bad cigarretes stays with you for days, and it is foul.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If you do, don't do it often, and don't do it with anything cheap. The taste of bad cigarretes stays with you for days, and it is foul.
    Yeah, I've got a bit of an addictive personality so I'll probably just avoid them entirely. I'd probably be a chain smoker by now if I was born in an earlier decade.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Troll in the Playground

tongue Re: Elemental's Excitingly Excellent Random Banter: No.CLXXVII

AT, that 'enjoy me some 14 year olds' thing was one of the worst things you've said that I've ever misinterpretated from you.

ION: how does one get rid of three brothers? Posting on a 3DS really hurts my... everything, typing is hard and I cant multitab. Arm is sore just from this post.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ettin in the Playground

So am I, well, not miserable, but 17 year old.
    *angrily waves his cane*

Aye, cane wielding youngsters are an obvious improvement which is hwy I myself have one.
    I can't gamble. Have been so thoroughly purged of any want to smoke that I'm sure I won't ever do so. My country has no jury duty. Country's military is so bad that our only literature nobel prize winner got it by denouncing the abuses in it. Adult court takes decades to resolve here, I would lose several years in jail just DURING the trial. This one I have no objections save my possible doubt, now, I'd need to get myself a girlfriend for this to even be an option though.

You forgot to mention DRIVING!