New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Toapat's Feats Thread (PEACH) (Eternal WIP) [3.5]

Advanced Arms Training needs to explicitly lay out when the feat counts as what. As-is, you qualify as having all of those as soon as you take the feat.

No particular reason to cap Combat Expertise, if you want to limit it remove the cap at X BAB or limit it to BAB+X.

Aim should be rewritten and just eliminate Torque Draw/Brutal Throw/Overdrawn Control, as there's no point in ever taking them.

I don't get the first Barrage. You can already target different enemies at no penalty. You can also apply precision damage to all arrows/bolts already. As-is the feat does nothing.

Master Archer is possibly too good, split it into a movement one + a sunder/bullrush/trip one (personal preference would just be to houserule full attack + two moves as default for everyone). Any reason it doesn't have disarm either?

Rapid Fire needs clarification as to when it functions. Is it supposed to build off Rapid Shot as also adding a second attack at next-highest, or just let you loose a second arrow during a standard action attack, or what?

Sniper's Accuracy needs clarification about sacrificing attacks as well, because it says you can sacrifice them but not what you do with them.

I don't get how Cleave is tied into Phalanx Fighting, it's just thematically weird.

[Ignoring epic feats, cuz epic is lawlbroke]

Sweeping Strikes is unclear as to what happens when your first target also takes up the adjacent squares, or when one of those squares has 4 Tiny enemies in them. Wording should clarify yes is counts squares not enemies, or you should specify that you're targeting an additional enemy in each square.

Thematically opposed to Titan's Warfare, unsure on balance/whatever but it's at least better than Monkey Grip.

Is there a reason the Smiting feats don't affect cleric smites?

I'd unlink Judgment from your remaining smites, as it encourages you to never use them (really, I'd just make normal smites per encounter).

I'd reword Measure of Conviction, and just say they automatically get it at 1st or 6th level level, not that they pick it up for no cost. I'm also somewhat concerned at the nuking potential here.

Main Gauche versus shieldfighting is a concern, since as-is TWF is clearly superior in terms of raw AC. The followup attack on top of that...

Clarify with Two Weapon Assault a) that the rend attack also has your mainhand damage, and that you take/ignore normal TWF penalties; b) that you make as many attacks with each weapon as you'd normally make with your mainhand weapon.

Path of Sword and Spell simply needs rewording, it's not very clear right now.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    Advanced Arms Training needs to explicitly lay out when the feat counts as what. As-is, you qualify as having all of those as soon as you take the feat.

No particular reason to cap Combat Expertise, if you want to limit it remove the cap at X BAB or limit it to BAB+X.

Aim should be rewritten and just eliminate Torque Draw/Brutal Throw/Overdrawn Control, as there's no point in ever taking them.

I don't get the first Barrage. You can already target different enemies at no penalty. You can also apply precision damage to all arrows/bolts already. As-is the feat does nothing.

Master Archer is possibly too good, split it into a movement one + a sunder/bullrush/trip one (personal preference would just be to houserule full attack + two moves as default for everyone). Any reason it doesn't have disarm either?

Rapid Fire needs clarification as to when it functions. Is it supposed to build off Rapid Shot as also adding a second attack at next-highest, or just let you loose a second arrow during a standard action attack, or what?

Sniper's Accuracy needs clarification about sacrificing attacks as well, because it says you can sacrifice them but not what you do with them.

I don't get how Cleave is tied into Phalanx Fighting, it's just thematically weird.

[Ignoring epic feats, cuz epic is lawlbroke]

Sweeping Strikes is unclear as to what happens when your first target also takes up the adjacent squares, or when one of those squares has 4 Tiny enemies in them. Wording should clarify yes is counts squares not enemies, or you should specify that you're targeting an additional enemy in each square.

Thematically opposed to Titan's Warfare, unsure on balance/whatever but it's at least better than Monkey Grip.

Is there a reason the Smiting feats don't affect cleric smites?

I'd unlink Judgment from your remaining smites, as it encourages you to never use them (really, I'd just make normal smites per encounter).

I'd reword Measure of Conviction, and just say they automatically get it at 1st or 6th level level, not that they pick it up for no cost. I'm also somewhat concerned at the nuking potential here.

Main Gauche versus shieldfighting is a concern, since as-is TWF is clearly superior in terms of raw AC. The followup attack on top of that...

Clarify with Two Weapon Assault a) that the rend attack also has your mainhand damage, and that you take/ignore normal TWF penalties; b) that you make as many attacks with each weapon as you'd normally make with your mainhand weapon.

Path of Sword and Spell simply needs rewording, it's not very clear right now.
    Advanced Arms Training specifically is worded to only turn on certain magnitudes of power ever X BAB.

Feat mod to remove stupid Pre-Requisites. Not to actually change it.

Torque Draw/Overdrawn Control are autogrants with the feat because they have to be in the game.

No, you cant. If you are using Manyshot, they all have to hit one dude. This is Improved manyshot, while Precision damage only applies to the first attack or first arrow with ranged weapons in a round.

Imp. Precise shot and Shot on the run. Both required ranged feats. Ranged also doesnt get manuevers like melee do, and i didnt know about disarm

Lazy wording was lazy. it is 1 BAB+1 Attack for 1 crit range. normal.

Great Cleave is required for a quality bullrush.

There is no point that i know of where a player can be surrounded on 8 sides by one enemy and still be able to perform normal melee attacks. The attacks hit in Squares the enemy does not occupy, although i never delt with the cheeze where an Orge on your left can allow you to hit the dragon in front of you twice. You have to declare a target and roll percentages for multiple enemies in a square.

Monkeygrip is useless as it is only as good as Exotic Proficience: Bastard Sword for what it was designed for.

Because clerics dont deserve smiting

Judgement is still a full round action. it was linked because a Per encounter ability isnt a smite, it is a judgement effect. Smiting is suposed to have meaning, and i give it better meaning in that way.

Broken feat is balanced by the classes who rightfully get smiting have no value for smiting.

Main Gauche caps out, even a buckler can exceed 11 AC RAW.

Two Weapon Rend only deals offhand damage, no idea why. why should you care though, you get full pounce.

Impossible to word feat is impossible to word. basically trade 1 BAB for 2 CL and 1 SL
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    Advanced Arms Training specifically is worded to only turn on certain magnitudes of power ever X BAB.
    Only turn on at a certain BAB, yes, but you can count as having all those feats as soon as you take Advanced Arms Training. Don't know if this actually lets you get anything early, but you should clafiry just to be safe.

No, you cant. If you are using Manyshot, they all have to hit one dude. This is Improved manyshot, while Precision damage only applies to the first attack or first arrow with ranged weapons in a round.
    Nothing about Rapid Fire leads it to the used with Manyshot, and nothing about its wording overwrites Manyshot's inherent limitations (it needs to be specifically called out). Also, there's already a Greater Manyshot (part of the Psionics portion of the SRD).

Imp. Precise shot and Shot on the run. Both required ranged feats. Ranged also doesnt get manuevers like melee do, and i didnt know about disarm
    I'd hardly call Shot on the Run required, archers are far less movement-dependent than melee. Still, I misread it as moving twice, each time up to your normal movement, rather than a total of your normal movement.

Great Cleave is required for a quality bullrush.
    I don't understand why.

There is no point that i know of where a player can be surrounded on 8 sides by one enemy and still be able to perform normal melee attacks. The attacks hit in Squares the enemy does not occupy, although i never delt with the cheeze where an Orge on your left can allow you to hit the dragon in front of you twice. You have to declare a target and roll percentages for multiple enemies in a square.
    This needs to be spelled out, then, because as-written you can hit multiple enemies if they're all in the same square, whether forced (grapple) or unforced (enemies small enough that they naturally fit multiples in a square).

Because clerics dont deserve smiting
    What?

Judgement is still a full round action. it was linked because a Per encounter ability isnt a smite, it is a judgement effect. Smiting is suposed to have meaning, and i give it better meaning in that way.
    Wait, full-round action? There's nothing in there about that. And making Judgment linked to Smite doesn't make Smite have meaning, it makes it less likely to ever be used, because you won't risk using up both your Smites and Judgments unless it's a boss fight. If you're trying your hardest not to use it, that doesn't make it meaningful.

Broken feat is balanced by the classes who rightfully get smiting have no value for smiting.
    This feat + Two Weapon Assault is a lot of extra damage in a single round, that's my point. You don't make something sub-par better by making it either weak or overpowered, you smooth it out (Judgment helps that, flat turning smites into per-encounter levels it even more, but it sounds like you don't like that).

Main Gauche caps out, even a buckler can exceed 11 AC RAW.
    A dagger with Main Gauche gives 2 + 1/4BAB. A heavy shield + Improved Bash only gives 2.

Two Weapon Rend only deals offhand damage, no idea why. why should you care though, you get full pounce.
    The way you've worded it, it's a standard action that does nothing but offhand damage. My guess is you're missing an "extra" before the "damage."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Only turn on at a certain BAB, yes, but you can count as having all those feats as soon as you take Advanced Arms Training. Don't know if this actually lets you get anything early, but you should clafiry just to be safe.

Nothing about Rapid Fire leads it to the used with Manyshot, and nothing about its wording overwrites Manyshot's inherent limitations (it needs to be specifically called out). Also, there's already a Greater Manyshot (part of the Psionics portion of the SRD).

I'd hardly call Shot on the Run required, archers are far less movement-dependent than melee. Still, I misread it as moving twice, each time up to your normal movement, rather than a total of your normal movement.

I don't understand why.

This needs to be spelled out, then, because as-written you can hit multiple enemies if they're all in the same square, whether forced (grapple) or unforced (enemies small enough that they naturally fit multiples in a square).

What?

Wait, full-round action? There's nothing in there about that. And making Judgment linked to Smite doesn't make Smite have meaning, it makes it less likely to ever be used, because you won't risk using up both your Smites and Judgments unless it's a boss fight. If you're trying your hardest not to use it, that doesn't make it meaningful.

This feat + Two Weapon Assault is a lot of extra damage in a single round, that's my point. You don't make something sub-par better by making it either weak or overpowered, you smooth it out (Judgment helps that, flat turning smites into per-encounter levels it even more, but it sounds like you don't like that).

A dagger with Main Gauche gives 2 + 1/4BAB. A heavy shield + Improved Bash only gives 2.

The way you've worded it, it's a standard action that does nothing but offhand damage. My guess is you're missing an "extra" before the "damage."
    No, you are not reading that feat right at all, at lvl 20, for a fighter, it is +5 Attack, +10 damage, 2x critical range

Rapid Fire replaces Manyshot.

Shot on the Run is manditory for any ranger fix and manditory for the scout's skrimish ability to be usable.

Without Great cleave, a pounce can only have 2 attacks in it.

no, it cant. it is writen that the square has to be adjacent to the one you are attacking and that an enemy is in. enemies too small to take up a full square as a result can hide from your blows by hugging eachother.

Clerics are the preachers of a faith. Favored Souls write the faith. Paladins fight for the Faith. Clerics shouldnt get smiting because they get full spell casting.

Standard action. Judgement was worded to suck, hard. No measure of conviction, half the power of a regular smite.

and a Barbarian with a Greatsword, pounce, and mighty rage matches that damage without breaking into homebrew.

Main Gauche does not get weapon modifiers to armor or guards. the only reason it even scales is to somewhat match the shield.

Two Weapon Rend is very easy to read as a completely different feat that sucks. Edited to correct the feat
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-06-29 at 11:21 PM.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    No, you are not reading that feat right at all, at lvl 20, for a fighter, it is +5 Attack, +10 damage, 2x critical range
    The problem is, you take Advanced Arms Training at level one, and now you qualify for anything that requires Greater Weapon Specialization. At level one. Not at BAB12, like I assume you intended.

Rapid Fire replaces Manyshot.
    That's not clear at all. If you've removed Manyshot as an available feat, you need to make it clear that "This feat replaces Manyshot" and describe what the feat does itself, not what it does in reference to Manyshot. If it's meant to improve upon Manyshot after Manyshot's already taken, a) it needs Manyshot as a prereq and b) that feat already exists, better.

Shot on the Run is manditory for any ranger fix and manditory for the scout's skrimish ability to be usable.
    Sorry, yea, forgot scouts. Somehow.

Without Great cleave, a pounce can only have 2 attacks in it.
    What? You're making no sense. A phalanx is a line of spears defended by shields. What does that have to do with cleaving, was my point, and then you brought up cleaving improving bullrushing? And now what does cleaving have to do with pounce?

no, it cant. it is writen that the square has to be adjacent to the one you are attacking and that an enemy is in. enemies too small to take up a full square as a result can hide from your blows by hugging eachother.
    It can't target your main target twice, but it can target multiple enemies in a single square. As written, it's targeting anything in the square, not an enemy. You need to rewrite it to be more clear if you mean to limit it to a single target, because right now if 4 grigs are in the square next to a nymph, you can hit the nymph and sweeping-strike all 4 grigs (and still hit something on the other side of the nymph, too).

Clerics are the preachers of a faith. Favored Souls write the faith. Paladins fight for the Faith. Clerics shouldnt get smiting because they get full spell casting.
    Different playstyles/class ideas then.

Standard action. Judgement was worded to suck, hard. No measure of conviction, half the power of a regular smite.
    So you made a feat that's intended to suck?
    Judgment hurts Smite, not helps it, at least not until levels where Measure of Conviction really starts to make a difference. Reliable, all-day Judgment is just better than once-and-it's-gone Smite, especially when using that Smite gets rid of your reliable Judgment as well. Once you're sitting a 3-4 attacks, then Smite starts to get worthwhile, but until then having Judgment means Smite will likely be unused except for oh-**** moments. And once you do get those level of attacks, makes Judgment a less and less useful feat.
    Make Smite per-day and Judgment per-encounter, unlinked to how many Smites you have left, and it'll be great.

Main Gauche does not get weapon modifiers to armor or guards. the only reason it even scales is to somewhat match the shield.
    That still leaves a simple dagger + support feat being better on the defense and offense than a shield + support feat. Yes, shields can take more feats to make them better and shields get AC from magic faster. Just pointing out that a shield is strictly inferior to an offhand weapon for early levels with this, and making up a feat for shields would probably be worthwhile.

Two Weapon Rend is very easy to read as a completely different feat that sucks.
    My point is you need to reword it to be clearer, because it doesn't say you deal normal mainhand + offhand damage + offhand damage again, it only mentions the bonus offhand damage.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

The problem is, you take Advanced Arms Training at level one, and now you qualify for anything that requires Greater Weapon Specialization. At level one. Not at BAB12, like I assume you intended.

That's not clear at all. If you've removed Manyshot as an available feat, you need to make it clear that "This feat replaces Manyshot" and describe what the feat does itself, not what it does in reference to Manyshot. If it's meant to improve upon Manyshot after Manyshot's already taken, a) it needs Manyshot as a prereq and b) that feat already exists, better.

Sorry, yea, forgot scouts. Somehow.

What? You're making no sense. A phalanx is a line of spears defended by shields. What does that have to do with cleaving, was my point, and then you brought up cleaving improving bullrushing? And now what does cleaving have to do with pounce?

It can't target your main target twice, but it can target multiple enemies in a single square. As written, it's targeting anything in the square, not an enemy. You need to rewrite it to be more clear if you mean to limit it to a single target, because right now if 4 grigs are in the square next to a nymph, you can hit the nymph and sweeping-strike all 4 grigs (and still hit something on the other side of the nymph, too).

Different playstyles/class ideas then.

So you made a feat that's intended to suck?
    Judgment hurts Smite, not helps it, at least not until levels where Measure of Conviction really starts to make a difference. Reliable, all-day Judgment is just better than once-and-it's-gone Smite, especially when using that Smite gets rid of your reliable Judgment as well. Once you're sitting a 3-4 attacks, then Smite starts to get worthwhile, but until then having Judgment means Smite will likely be unused except for oh-**** moments. And once you do get those level of attacks, makes Judgment a less and less useful feat.
    Make Smite per-day and Judgment per-encounter, unlinked to how many Smites you have left, and it'll be great.

That still leaves a simple dagger + support feat being better on the defense and offense than a shield + support feat. Yes, shields can take more feats to make them better and shields get AC from magic faster. Just pointing out that a shield is strictly inferior to an offhand weapon for early levels with this, and making up a feat for shields would probably be worthwhile.

My point is you need to reword it to be clearer, because it doesn't say you deal normal mainhand + offhand damage + offhand damage again, it only mentions the bonus offhand damage.
    ah, now i get what you are saying, no, although i didnt name all the feats, the entire weapon focus line is suposed to be replaced, and so there shouldnt be any problems

The archery feats were done as a total rebuild, that is why nearly all of them are combination feats.

The Feat i made was the offensive push of a phalanx, not the defensive shield wall. In order to effectively use the Dungeoncrasher fighter, you need Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Pounce, Shock Trooper, and Spring Attack.

In the example, you hit the ogre as your main target, i get that it has problems.

Charging Smite

I havent gotten Around to the Shield version, which is basically the same counter ability, but grants a free Attack of Opportunity

Already Corrected

Drow avatar @ myself