New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

Sorry for the delays; I'll get a bonus chapter to y'all soon to make up for it.

Chapter 45: Bluebird of Happiness
    Spoiler
    Show

Spring-9-xxx2

I'm feeling kind of jittery. Large portions of my brain are going "bad idea, bad idea."
    But I'm good...Of course, It's Wednesday. I can't do anything until tommorow.

The animals are all enjoying the sun.
    ...But something wierd happens in the chicken coop this morning

I'm running, but I'm not getting anywhere. What the heck? As I feel around at my feet, I pick something up and...

...It was an invisible chicken egg. All this coop is invisible eggs.
    ...Now, see, the ordinary response to this would be to drink less, but I'm already drinking less. I haven't drank since the first. Drinking less than 0 drinks is drinking -1, which is impossible. Ergo, it loops back around.
    What I'm saying is: I need to drink more. Much more.

I stagger through my day in despair, counting up how many seeds I need (6), when I notice...

Cameramaaaaan! When did he take a photo?

Oh, when I wasn't paying attention. I must keep my wits about me next time. I'll have a word with this guy!

I go see the Harvest Sprites first, since I've just gotten used to going up there in the morning. We ended up talking about fishing, since my luck's been so spotty.
    "There must be a secret! A spot, a time, a bait -- something!"

"Yeah, yeah?"

...*sigh*

Anyway, I'll head back down the hills.
    I find Elli in the flower shop. She and Lilia pause mid-conversation when I enter, the shop's bell interrupting whatever Lilia was saying. Her expression is sentimental; Elli's, teetering somewhere between sadness and hope.
    "Don't mind me. Please."
    "Oh, it's no bother. We were just reminiscing...Thinking about people precious to us, their wishes and dreams."

"She was giving me some advice." Elli shrugs.
    "I was telling a story. About my grandmother. She died when I was young, but I remember..."

"And mountain here with flowers. I guess you could call it a family project, but she taught everyone a lot so we could see it through for her. Of course, it's still a work in progress."

"I prefer it, in terms of immortalizing a person, to things like fancy gravestone memorials and the like. A life doesn't end until it's done rippling through the world."
    Popuri, it occurs to me, is very much her mother's daughter.

Elli smiles at that statement, that warm smile I'm used to seeing.
    "When you put it that way..."

"And cooking from my grandma. When I have a child, I want to teach them the way she taught me..."

To Elli, that notion of being able to make what she made, and keep her through that ...It must be nothing less than salvation. I didn't think about it...But I'm the same way, aren't I? Not that I really grieved my grandpa's death, or anything...But here I am, working on his dream. When the farm dies, the last of anything he lived for dies, too, right?
    Well, except I guess Dad... But Dad didn't really care about him. We didn't visit except that one time, and he wasn't even there to watch his father die. In the end, my dad succeeded at what I always wanted: living completely apart from his dad. Is that what he set out to do, or just what happened?

This sort of thinking is church-thinking, I think.

As I buy my seeds, I realize that the child...If she says yes, that kid'll be my kid. My...Child. Son or daughter or something.
    My face goes completely red as my mind spins in maddened circles.

Yeah, I'm getting out of here.

Somehow, I end up talking to the Pastor about things.

"...Yeah. I've sort of...Been re-evaluating my life. I think I've made a good decision, but...If I re-evaluate again in a few years, I'll be in trouble."[/color]
    I'm not sure that means I'm doubting, though. I think I'm making the right call.
    "You can only have faith in the present moment, and see that your life will see you through."

"Alright. Thanks, Parson."
    "...Honestly, Mister Fox...You've grown a lot since you arrived here. Right now...You seem to have found some peace. If not with the past, then at least in the present."
    "...Yeah, I guess so."

I find Harris wandering by the other side of town, and end up just chatting.

"If you crumple them up, though, they don't really last very long. It's easy to get rid of a letter."
    "Why would someone do such a thing?"
    I think it's kind of obvious, but I'll play along and shrug and go about my way.

Drinking, you say?

I spend the rest of the day adding in more grass (well, and my regular seeds, and I water my flowers)...
    And go to the bar at night. There really wasn't anything there but sweet, sweet drink to cool my nerves.

And make me forget I live in a world with invisible eggs.

Spring - 10 - xxx2

Welp. Today's the day. The day I ask Elli to marry me.

...I'm staying in my room -- no, I'm not! Quit that, traitorous brain!
    Ok. I'm stepping outside. You can do this. You can...

"Oh, hey, Stu." Well, that jolted me out of self-induced panic. "What's up?"

I am kind of awesome...
    "So many flowers before in my life."
    Oh, yeah...They've really bloomed splendidly.

Stu looks over them and smiles. They've certainly brightened up the farm; I think I'll keep them around for a while.

The omen of the day: Lambo's got some wool to shear. That's not actually an omen. It's really more of a fact of the calender. But I'll take what omens I can get, even if I have to make them up myself.

Also, look at those. Those are just lovely.

I go into town to buy seeds, first. Maybe I'm putting it off, but I want things resolved before I tackle the big act of the day.
    Lilia has a bit more of the flower shop's history, since she brought it up the other day.

"This flower shop for three generations now."
    Maybe it's because businesses come and go so easily in the city, but that seems amazing to me.

I'm also giving out potatoes to people. Because why not? (this is real procrastinating.)

"It's pretty easy."

But it's procrastinating for food.

And then...I head to Rick's shop.
    He looks like in a pensive mood.
    "What's up?"

..."What does that even mean?"

"No. No I don't."

"You've got plans, eh?"
    Deep breath. In. Hold. Out.
    "...Yeah." I'm smiling. I bet I look like a loser.

"The price is 1000, but for you? I'll knock it..."

That's very nearly a fake sale.
    "Oh, alright. Thanks, man."

Darn. Now I need to run back.

I head back, plant my seeds, and grab the feather from my house. When I step back out...

"Sugarpie."
    Who are these people? Why are they at my house?
    "Um, excuse me..."

"Pardon me, but you are aware this is private property, yes?"

"In front of you, sugarpie."
    "*Ahem.*"

...Eh, you know what? I'm just going to give up and let them be.

Nothing like strangers making out on your lawn.

And at last, they leave. As far as they cared, I was never here.

Well...Here goes...Everything.

I wish I had talked to her about this in advance. I mean, that's a thing couples do, right? But isn't that really just the same as proposing, just slower?
    I step into the bakery and my entire thoughts freeze over. I've seen her standing there a million times. But with the thoughts on my mind, my heart ends up pounding and I'm frozen there in the doorway. This whole 'love' thing is...completely debilitating.
    "Fox, hi...Are you OK? You look like you're just staring into space over there."
    My laugh comes out strained, a touch too high-pitched.
    "I just...I had something I wanted to talk to you about."
    I walk over to her and take her hands in mine. The smell of warm bread fills the air around her, taking my panicking senses and easing them. My heart's pounding, but with her freshy-washed hands in my hands, still a little damp from drip-drying and a little rough from working, I also feel at ease. Like a man buried in snow, I feel a sudden peace flow through me.

She doesn't know what I've got in mind, so she says,
    "I'm Ok, Fox. Really."
    "I know, I know...That's... Sort of tangential?" I was wording that badly. still, I made myself smile, that snarky little smirk I'm used to.
    "But I know how lonely you must have felt. Even if you try and put it behind you, I know... And I never want you to be lonely."

Her face flushed and a delicate smile spread on it, light as a soufle rising. Even that gesture, that weak-hearted assurance, meant something to her. She knew I believed it, in my own way. But what she knew -- what she understood -- was that I wasn't the sort of person who'd see that through. And I wasn't. But...People change. I've changed. I guess, looking back over the year -- over the time I spent, watching people and seeing their hearts open, the times I spent working hard and seeing my farm grow, the time spent I spent with Elli, those warm and vanilla-extract scented days, that rainy moment in her room where the world held its breath, the shining light of the jar in the moonlight... I never thought I'd be those things. And before I knew it, I am.
    She was the person who saw it most clearly. I want to show her...That she's right. She's been right all along.

I reach into my bag. I...How exactly does a proposal by feather go? Do I drop to my knees?
    When I pull it out, it puffs up when it reaches new air, releasing a shimmer of down, sparkling in the bakery's light.

We stand there, surrounded by a field of sparkles. Elli's eyes widen.

Her voice is suspicious. It'd hurt too much, to be betrayed now. So...It may be hard to believe I didn't goof up.

"I don't know...Is it supposed to do that? In the city, we use rings. Like normal people."
    This startles her off her guard. The truth dawns.
    "You mean...You really...?"
    "I mean I really." A smile spreads across my face, hitting me with a wild and frightened jolt of joy.
    "You..."
    "Let's be a family, Elli. Let's get married."

Tears fill her eyes. In those eyes, I see that...That I'll never be alone again.

"Yes, yes, yes!"

It all fades into a rush -- of kissing, of talking, of planning. Of a warm embrace, with the scent of rising dough.

Wedding set-up in a place like this doesn't take long. She says -- maybe by the end of the week. She'll handle the rest, which...Can I honestly say I'm a bit relieved? A wedding plan is a man's nightmare, or so it's said. I'm sure she can handle it.
    I don't think I could stop her from handling it. All I need to do is tell my people...
    Yeah, I'll have to talk to dad...But I can do that later. I'm not letting him get me down today!

I'm getting married at the end of the week, if all goes according to plan. Just a few days.

I end up tenatively announcing my news at the bar. I think everyone was surprised, but it's recieved with a mix of hearty applause and completely stunned expressions.
    "You're a brave man, Fox!"
    "Good on ya, kid! You made good!"
    "Is that so? Maybe it'll convince someone to get a move on!"

...What was that last one? Oh, well.

"A round for half of the happy couple!"
    Well, I can't say no to that...

Spring - 11 - xxx2

I guess I should tell a few...Less typical friends about my good news. Not my dad. I -- look, I can tell him tommorow. It's not a long way.
    He probably won't even come. But...It'd be nice, if he were surprised. In a good way.

Anyway, the harvest sprites.

"Guess who's engaged?"
    "...You?"
    "That's right. I worked up the nerve yesterday...And she said yes."
    This is met with a blank stare.
    "You don't really know what I'm talking about, do you?"
    "I wasn't going to say that..."
    I sigh.
    "I asked Elli to be my wife. We're going to get married."
    This, at least,
    "Oh, but you're going to need time off after the wedding, right? For all of that 'making out' stuff human beings do?"
    "Well...It's...I intend rather more than that..." He says it with such a childlike innocence that I feel uneasy. "Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how much time off I could take. Life goes on. Someone needs to take care of the animals and stuff."
    The elf smiles and pats his chest.
    "Then, as a wedding present... We'll take care of the animals! Leave it to us!"
    "...Wouldn't you get crushed?"
    "We are harvest sprites, and all things in nature love us!"
    He proclaimed cheerfully.

"Oh, well, thanks, bud."
    "So, this stuff that's more than making out...Can I watch?"
    "Absolutely not."
    "Pleeeaaase?"
    "No! Quit being creepy!"

He didn't stop pestering me about it until I left. Darn nature spirits.

To my next stop...

She's back to a much more normal greeting. I'm relieved.
    "...You win."
    "I win?"
    "...You win. She even said yes."
    "EEEEEEeeeee!" She grabbed me in some twisted, vice-like version of a hug.

"Can't....breathe...."
    "Oh, I knew it! You're so cute together! And you'll make her sooo happy and she'll make you so haaaappy and I'm soooooooooo happpy for you!"
    "Yes....All....Very happy..."

I think my ribs might be breaking.

"Oh, I bet you'll make such a handsome groom! Kyaaaa <3!"
    "Grooms...Need....Air."

She lets me go.
    "Oh, right. Well...Honey, let me just ask. You're doing this because this is what you want, right?"
    I smirk.
    "I wouldn't take this plunge for someone else."
    She nods and smiles.
    "Good. I'll...Think of a nice blessing for you, too <3. I've got that work to do, so see you!"
    She dives down into the pond.

I head into town after that.

Buy some seeds... Head to the church...

Kent still doesn't know how to take this. In the end, that feeling you have as a kid, that everything's going to be OK, that death is some far-away thing... It's gone.
    I don't know what to tell him.

I end up spending the rest of the day working.

How much grass will I add? Well, all of it.

And I try and get some logging done.

We've got one more house upgrade, and we're almost there.

In a lot of ways, we're almost there.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

2. - Top - End - #572
    Firbolg in the Playground

Great writing, as usual Deme. I honestly didn't expect the proposal to come so soon after his revelation, but the scene worked well.

Now I am curious what Elli is going to do when she moves in and sees Fox already has a baby bed..

Edit: Also I am curious what happens if you try to give a blue feather to someone who you are not dating.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2013-07-09 at 10:40 AM.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

3. - Top - End - #573
    Troll in the Playground

That's what the bonus chapter's for. If the reactions are interesting enough to merit, I'll be showing it to everyone I can find.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-07-09 at 12:16 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yay!

That is all.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2013-07-09 at 03:34 PM.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Troll in the Playground

In other news, no bonus chapter: I played it all, but... The reactions weren't interesting enough for me to think it a worthwhile use of your time.

Maybe if something comes up and there's a delayed chapter, I'll post it.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

6. - Top - End - #576
    Dwarf in the Playground

The proposal!
    Fox linked to the land!
    Pervert Harvest Sprites!
    Invisible Eggs!

All this and much more in this latest installment of Fox's Grand Adventure!

The recipes were always random chance for me. I never looked up the seasons and people, I just scattered gifts everywhere to everyone. But I like how you are working them into the narrative.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -A.C. Clarke

7. - Top - End - #577
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Powerful chapter. I am quite caught up in the drama.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Barbarian in the Playground

Miss Deme, I'd like to thank you for writing this. You've found a way to take a game I can't sit down and play for more than 10 minutes without getting bored and turn it into an epic tale that... frankly I can't wait to read the next step of. You're writing is superb and I can't get enough....
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad to see that things are still going enjoyably for a lot of people. Your comments really make me feel good about my work in general, not just in the specifics.

In some bad news... I'm getting suddenly pulled away to the beach this weekend. It's like I'm not allowed two weekends at home back-to-back, or something. Good thing I have something for such a contingency!

Bonus Chapter ...Someone help me here. Is it 5 or 6?: Anyway, Alternate Marriage Proposals!
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, let's begin proposing to everyone!

Dissapointing. I wanted to marry you, Harris. This is the only game where anyone can marry you, after all.

I wonder...

He doesn't even notice.

Well, maybe...

You do understand me, fisherman Greg. Let's get hitched.

More sighs (and some lost screenshots of the Master Carpenter's reaction. You didn't miss much.)

You've been my favorite since I was a kid, so...

*sigh*
    Well, I suppose there's always More Friends of Mineral Town.

Maybe they'll say something funny?

...Darnit.

That's more like it!

Yeah, Grey.
    ...*sigh*

Let's move on.

Well, no. I'm just seeing what you'll say.
    ...Hmmm, come to that...

Leave your husband. I grew up thinking you might be abused, and you should run away with me instead!

...No one gets my intentions. Except that one Harvest Sprite.

Like all the mothers, she hopes we'll get with her daughter. Kind of sad, really.

Kai! Why don't you forget Karen and stay with me instead? I like your Vineyard Persona over your Beach Persona anyway.

...Nothing ever goes my way.

Ok, while I'm in this neck of the woods...Let's do some real proposals.

"What should I do?"

And...Ann!

Awww, that's...Kind of sad, actually. Ah, the insecure heart of a tsundere.

I do wish we got to see her reaction to, yes, yes, you're the one we're proposing to.

Moving into the town properly...

I had hoped she would tease us.

You know what? Maybe he's not creepy. Maybe he's actually sort of sweet. Oh, Jeffy-bear!

...What would he have said under that impression, though? Don't deny me, game!

*Sigh*

Well, let's try the creepy option.

That's actually kind of cute.

I AM IN DESPAIR! A LACK OF PROPER JOKE RESPONSES HAS LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!

I know, I know...

Now, see, this could be interesting. Was Saibarah married? Thinking about it, but backed away? I... I really want to know.
    I'd be OK if these reactions were things like people's thoughts about marriage, even if they weren't funny.

Well, that's the last person in this area besides Popuri, so...

Ugh, more tutorial stuff!

Awww, that's better, though.

Oh, come on! You grade me on how popular I am with the ladies, and that's all you've got to say?
    *grumble*

Aggghhhh...
    This isn't just despair. This is super High-School Level Despair...

Save me, Maria.

D'awwwwww.

Anyway, I'll meet you guys at night.

...Why did I bother?

I know I dragged my feet a bit, but...I had my reasons, Sir.
    I had to wait for an old lady to die!

I made myself sad :(

LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

10. - Top - End - #580
    Dwarf in the Playground

Deme you make sounding like going to the beach is a horrible thing...
    Also it is Bonus Chapter 6.

And while the there was a lack of comical responses, your projected despair made it enjoyable to read none the less.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -A.C. Clarke

11. - Top - End - #581
    Troll in the Playground

It is when you're a) sick, and b) trying to do work.

Anyway, this chapter's rather short: I felt like it wanted some space, particularly since the next one...Is going to get a little silly. On the other hand, I'll be working on the next one ASAP to make up the difference, so no worries there!

Chapter 46: The Wedding
    Spoiler
    Show

Spring - 12 - xxx2

Ugh. Today I really have to call my dad. The wedding's tommorow. If he's going to be there, I really do have to say something.

In brighter news, it looks like Mocha's grown up a lot.

I can definitely get milk from her now, which is really very nice. That keeps my mind off of things a bit.

Anyway, before calling my dad, I want to head up into the mountains. It's too nice a day.
    I guess everyone else seemed to think so, since the base of the mountain is coated in people.

"Fox! I...I was thinking about things, and I wanted to let you know..." He trails off, looking for words. His eyes are full of fear.
    "Yeah? What is it?"

"Congrats." He muttered.
    He shuffles off. I can't help but wonder...What it was he was trying to say.

Stu seems deep in thought. The kids have been pensive all spring.

"The minister is talking about. It's too..."

"Yeah, I'd say so. When you grow up, you understand harder stuff." Or maybe you understand harder stuff, so you grow up. I knew a lot of people who never grew up. Maybe me, too.

He heads up through the mountain ahead. When I go that way...I notice him and May, looking at something stirring in the trees.
    They don't really look happy.
    "What's up, kiddo?"

"Caught in a spider web here. I should help it, right?"

The butterfly was still alive and fluttering -- the spider hadn't gotten to it yet. I admit, my first instinct is to help it out. It's not done yet, after all...But I admit, I'm not sure how to extract a butterfly without doing more harm than good.

It's May who shakes her head.

"And just about ready to die."

While that seems improbable...She has a point. But I'm surprised to hear such cynicism of the little girl.

I decide that I, personally, am not going to do anything. I feel like Stu should decide, and I only advise.
    "Well, that's a tough decision. It might be people shouldn't mess with it...But it might be too sad, not to mess with it, too."

They look at me with desperation. It looks like they can't decide. Even May, who laid out a kind of cold compassion...

"Listen, I bet the spider can catch another bug, and we won't be here, and that'll be OK. We can't worry about the things we can't help." I smile.
    "Let's let him go."

They both look relieved to hear that, and leave me with the task of untangling it. Didn't I just say I wouldn't?

Well, I do my best, and the web is still pretty OK when I'm done.

The butterfly flies off as the two kids below wave.

I head to the vineyard after that. Kai's in a sort of nervous, dodge-y mood...I can't figure it out, but I think there's something in the air today.

Somehow, Karen's dad and I end up talking about the vineyard. Or, rather, he makes me listen. His breath smells like wine.

"Maintains the business and the third runs it into the ground. I've managed to keep it going,"
    ...Sort of. Well, it's better now.
    "Wipe that sideways glance off your face! It's still around! Karen and that guy will take it over."
    Ooooh, will he? I seeeeeee....

Inside the house, Karen's mother has a lonely expression.

I shrug.
    "Do you and your mother get along, Fox?"
    "...Well, she's...Not with us anymore." Dangit, I hate this subject. There's no good way out of it without passing through the pity of relative strangers.
    "Oh, I see. I'm sorry for your loss."
    "It was a long time ago."
    She nods.
    "Your father, then?"
    "...Why are you bringing him into this?"
    She sighs.
    "So, then, it might just be something about people your age...Still, I think it's important for you to try and understand him."
    "Phh. He wouldn't do the same for me." even I can tell I sound like a kid when I say it like that.
    "...I suppose so. Well, thank you anyway."

I feel emberassed. At the same time...I've been feeling for a while there are things about my dad I don't know.
    "Well, anyway...Do you have a phone I can use? I need to call him."

She nods and shows me to it. It's an old-fashioned phone, but in a old house like this, it doesn't look out of place.
    I dial my dad's number. It's the middle of the day, so it's his work phone. I bet he'll be upset about that...

"Hello?"
    But, you know? I bet he'd be surprised, to hear I'm getting married. Maybe...even...
    "Dad, it's me."
    "Doesn't that ever feel like a redundant greeting to you?"
    My dad's voice sounds as sour as it's ever been.
    "You've got a point, but if I start with 'dad,' you already know who it is. But I can't not give a greeting anyway."
    "'Dad, how are you?' would work just fine."

It's like I was never away.

"Well, anyway, I had something important to talk to you about."
    "Of course. But when I left you there, I told you I wasn't going to bail you out." The phone goes quiet for a moment. "Well, what is it?"

I take a deep breath. I have no idea how to put this to words.
    "...There's a woman."
    He sighs, and I know I started this off wrong.
    "What sort of trouble did you get into this time? You can't get into trouble with women out there, you know. Not in a small town like that."
    "I...It's not like that! I've never even gotten into 'trouble' with a girl!" Not the way he means, anyway. Fun trouble, yes. But I have responsible trouble, darnit!
    ...Unless he still remembers that thing he had to smooth over with the senator's wife.

"Senator Obelman would disagree."
    "That was just that once, and anyway, she seduced me!"
    Well, sort of.

"...Fox."
    He sounds like he has a headache. Don't get a headache just because I'm talking to you, for pete's sake!
    "...Well. Go on. I don't know what I can do, but..."

"You don't have to 'do' anything... I'm getting married tomorrow."

I can't read this silence. It just sort of stretches on forever.

"Really?"
    "Yes, really."
    I grit my teeth.

"...Son, are you really serious about this?"
    "What do you think I'm calling you about?"
    "Marriage is a lot of work to be rushing into...And after this thing with the farm, too..."
    Oh.
    Oh no he didn't. He doesn't think I'm taking anything seriously at all, does he?!
    "Is this a thing with you now? Trying to prove you're an adult by rushing into serious things?"
    I give up. I don't think...I don't think I'll ever convince him to take me seriously.

"Look, there's nothing for you to 'take care of.' So... you don't have to come. I wasn't expecting it, anyway."

I think I heard his voice as I lower the phone. But...No matter how you look at it, nothing will ever change between us.

I did my best, OK?!

Haven't I always done my best when he wasn't strangling me?

I'm going to buy some grass seeds. Someone has a serious. Adult. Life. To take care of.

...I'm not even angry. Really.

I wasn't expecting anything better.

Rick's outside his shop, taking some sun.
    "Man, what do you do when no one takes you seriously?"
    "No one *does* take me seriously."
    "Eh? Come on! You're a brilliant, if maybe somewhat sloppy in your methodology, inventor!" I saw you break physics!

"So it's not as if I'm really successful or respected."
    Maybe he sees I look worried or down, so he adds,

"It's more important to be happy than to be taken seriously."

Yeah, I guess, I...
    "Thanks."

I don't know why, but I still feel the need to tell something to someone.

That's why...I end up going to the other side of town. And I walk by a place I've walked by a hundred times before without even regarding... But today I stop.

"Hey, Grandpa. I'm sorry I haven't paid you a lot of respect; I've been kind of busy.
    The farm's going well, I think. Well, the field's clean, and I've made some additions. I...I think you'd like it. Maybe."
    Talking to dead guys you don't even really know. Awkward.
    Still...My words get easier.

"Well, what I wanted to say was: your son's a jerk. Ok, Ok, that's not actually what I came to say. I came to say... I met someone here. And I fell in love for, really, the first time.
    And I'm going to marry her tommorow. And I'm as excited and as scared as I've ever been about anything. I've never done anything this permanent in my life -- and don't say 'well, you could always divorce.' I... I think if you think like that, there's no point in getting married in the first place. I guess.

I laugh -- it just feels good to say all of this. My thoughts seem to scatter in the sunlight.

"Were you this scared when you married Grandma? I get the impression that you were kind of a lady's man -- Ellen certainly talked about you enough. You must have made a tough choice, too.

Well, I guess this fear is only natural. But I just wanted you to know. I wanted someone to be happy for me. Someone to say 'Wow, Fox, you did good. And you couldn't have found a nicer girl to take in your pathetic butt.' Even if you're not here, I thought maybe you would if you were..."

I find what it is I really mean to say then, after all that fighting to it.

"Because it's because of you. Because you said what you said...I'm here, right now. Because you made me wonder 'what is a wonderful life'...Well, now I'm going to take a first step."

I know I feel better then. Because it's true. And if he were here, I know he'd be proud. So that's enough for now.

"Tell Ellen I'll take good care of her granddaughter, OK?"

The farm's got a lot of work still to go.

And, for my last night as a bachelor...
    Well, it turns out this place doesn't actually have a tradition of a bachelor party. What a bust. Well, there's just the one bar, so I don't really know what a bachelor party here would look like, anyway.

But I do go to the bar! My last night drinking as a free man is upon me.
    There, I just end up talking to people -- it's really not unusual.

With a wedding coming, Zack's thinking about his own family.
    I find myself wondering if my dad ever felt that way -- it's kind of hard to believe, since he never did anything about it.

"So, tomorrow's the day, huh?" The bartender asks me.
    "Yup. I'm ...All sorts of feelings."

"Oh, there's no...Missus...Barkeep?"
    He laughs.
    "No, no... I loved someone once, but it didn't work out. Don't worry about it...Go have a drink. Big day tommorow."

You've got that right.

So ends my life as a bachelor.

Spring - 13 - xxx2

Everything seems to scatter in the morning sunlight. My heart's pounding in my ears.
    Weddings in this neck of the woods aren't big affairs; I should have suspected, and when no one seemed worried I didn't have a suit. The mayor hooked me up on that account.

"Keep the hat," he said. He was laughing as he said it, but...In the end, they half-joked and half-convinced me into wearing it.
    I walked to the church alone. Outside, everyone was lined up. I walked between them as they waved me forward.

The light came into the church behind me, streaking into the room. It reached up to her and washed her in gold like a sunrise.
    She's in an antique wedding dress, white as the harvest moon. For a moment, it seems like something from an old history. Her short hair rises like a nimbus, lifted by a white ribbon running through it. My heart pounds, and I feel myself mirroring her smile, radiant and almost full of tears.

She laughs when she sees I've still got my hat. For a moment, the church is full of our laughter, stirring the otherwise silent space. No one else is here but the pastor.

At first, my steps are tenative, but they get prouder and surer as I walk up the aisle.
    My fingers slide easily into the spaces between her fingers. Our hands form a warm little world between them.

The parson raises his hands and our heads bow.
    "You stand now beneath the eyes of the Harvest Goddess, whose joy is springtime and whose sorrow is winter; in her name and by her will, you ask to be accepted as one two persons in one soul, two lives in one union. For this, she asks of you: Do you accept to be bound, as man and wife, until death comes to part you? To burn together in the sun, freeze together in the snow, to be together, paired like footprints in the sand?"
    "I gratefully accept."
    "If I didn't, I'm not sure I'd ever forgive myself."

"Then. Go forth, with all her blessings, and present your union to your fellow man."

We walk back out, hand in hand. At the edge of the door, she whispers,
    "This is...Everything I've ever wished for. I'm so happy."
    "I'm still not really sure this is happening...I...I'll do my best not to let you down. I won't."
    She shakes her head, her smile undaunted.
    "Of course not."

We walk out in front of everyone, between the rows . I'm not sure anyone believed something like this would happen. I didn't. But right now, everyone looks like a family, welcoming us home.

"Kiss! Kiss!"
    "Kent, shh!"

Well, you heard the kids. We lean in for our first kiss as husband and wife, a new first moment of the rest of our lives.

In one moment like the pealing rings of church bells, like the beating of the wings of doves, we weren't children in the mud, lost and defined by old losses; we weren't lonely adults, convinced we'd be alone because of what we think we are; we are, in the reflection of someone else's eyes, the most whole and beautiful people in the world.

Far as I'm concerned, it's a moment that will last for the rest of time.

Married to Elli on the 13th day of the Season of Spring
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That was a great update!

Fox's father ....

13. - Top - End - #583
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Another well written chapter. Despite playing HM:FoMT multiple times, I've never gotten far enough to get the protagonist married.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

This is actually one of the games where I find it most compelling to do so: really, the game's structure makes playing it through feel like a good idea...Well, that was worded badly, but it's true: sometimes I get discouraged when playing a new harvest moon by the padding or the vagueness of the goal. See also: why this is my first Harvest Moon LP, instead of Sunshine Islands.

Chapter 47: This One Is Mostly Sappy
    Spoiler
    Show

Spring - 14 - xxx2

It's not as if waking up while someone's next to you, still sleeping, is unfamiliar. Nothing about last night's or this morning's events is strange or alien. In theory.
    Because then it occurs to you, creeping through your bones, that there's no rush. You don't have to see her out, contemplate whether or not you want to bother writing her number down, if you got it at all. Did she bother writing down yours? None of that. She's going to be there tommorow morning. There's going to be a lot of mornings, before she wakes up, just like this. And that couldn't be better.
    And that just makes the whole thing feel...strange. Not bad-strange. Just strange. Like hearing a language you know in an accent that makes the words unrecognizable.

Eventually, we both admit that I need to get up -- Life, after all, goes on. Someone needs to feed the chickens, which means I need to get dressed and face the world.

...Harris is there. Huh.
    "Good morning, Harris. What is it?"

"With Maria today."
    What? I mean, I got the impression he liked her, but...
    "You dog! When did this happen?"
    "W-well, I always felt...That Mi -- Maria was a really wonderful woman and...Well... We ended up talking a lot, on my days off, and...
    One thing...Sort of led to another and..."

If his face were any redder, he would be a tomato. He's pretty much forcing himself to go on.

"When I heard you were getting married, I realized that I needed to step up, too."
    "Well, congratulations are definitely in order, then! I'm sure you'll make a wonderful couple." That's what you say for stuff like this, right?

I admit, it's...A little weird, a second wedding so close on the heels of mine. But it couldn't be a cuter couple.

"I'd be honored."

Maria looked absolutely regal in her wedding gown -- today, at least, she stands very proudly, no fear or timidity on her face, outside perhaps the nervous excitement of a new bride.

I didn't get to see the ceremony itself, because of how things work here, but...
    I can imagine what's in their hearts right now.

Even if they're not the boldest people in the world, they're brave enough to grab happiness with each other. The strength Maria's gained, day by day...That's enough. With Harris to support her, they'll be fine.

I'm not going to lie, I feel a bit like a proud brother or father or something, my hands tingling with sympathetic joy.

Well, it's not like I was expecting a lot of sleep, anyway...Uh! Moving on!

Spring - 15 - xxx2

She asked me about the baby bed. I...didn't really have a good answer for that. The best I could say was that it was a gift from a friend.
    "A pushy, pushy, nosy-as-all-get-out, thinks she knows what's good for me better than I do friend."
    "Teehee. Well, that makes a bit more sense. But... I'm hoping one day we'll get some use out of it, anyway."
    It went something like that.

Anyway, after yesterday, I think the chickens have got to be upset -- I didn't have time to feed them or anything.

...I'm not sure why I want to know why he's standing there. But for once, it looks like he's not going to kill me.
    His expression is entirely sheepish and reluctant -- he's so emberassed he'd rather be gunned down, right here on my front lawn.
    "Yes?"

He doesn't say anything, but takes out an envelope.

Oh, yeah...He did say something about a blue feather, didn't he? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but...
    What's with this scheduling?

"...Is everyone getting married this week?"

"Well, actually...I'm flattered you came to invite me. Congratulations, man."

...I won the prize of not having the silliest hat, it looks like. I wonder where he even got a black version of his work hat.
    And Popuri's really very pretty in her dress -- in a lot of ways, it reminds me of her Harvest Goddess outfit. Of course, to him, it's probably entirely fitting that way.

Still...Grey's always struck me as having pent up a lot of feeling, given up a lot of hope. I'm sure that if anyone can work on loosening him up and putting a smile back on his face, it's definitely Popuri.
    It may not be what he always dreamed of, but, hey. A little manure helps the flowers grow.

That may have been just too sappy. I'm sorry.

Spring - 16 - xxx2

Ok, today I got up extra early so I can feed the chickens. They have got to be so a --

...goshdarnit.

Why did everyone pick the same week? Is it a conspiracy or something?
    I don't actually say that, though.
    "You know, I'm kind of surprised...I knew Ann was carrying a torch, but...You always struck me as too anxious to settle down."
    He laughs sheepishly at that one.

"I still feel worried and uneasy about the whole thing, really...But no matter what my head said, my heart had decided. I figured I had to..."

"The wedding's at the church."

"Yeah, sure...I'm pretty impressed, I've got to say."
    I am also creeped out. By the conspiracy.

I couldn't lure out Elli -- she doesn't know Cliff well and isn't particularly close to Ann, and anyway, after several days of partying and...general newlywedding, she's a bit too tired to come.

...Cliff couldn't even get a suit for his wedding. That's... Well, I feel better about my hat, I'll tell you that much.
    I didn't picture Ann would look so lady-like in a wedding dress, though.

Those two sort of bungled their way to it, but I think that they've gotten this far; they'll stick it out. It probably won't be perfect, but... I don't think either of them is the sort to expect perfection.

Cliff looks so overwhelmed, though.

Ok, now that's just pretty awesome. Even Cain is giving them his blessing; can't argue with a falcon.

...Ok, Kai. You're next. I just know it.

Spring - 17 - xxx2

What sort of thing is waiting for me today...I mean, if it were another wedding, that'd just be...absurd, wouldn't it?
    I can't say I'm not expecting it, but I'd be shocked if it happened. I'm just paranoid. No town has 5 weddings in 5 days, right? That's crazy.

"I wouldn't worry, Fox. It's the horse race today...I don't think anyone would get married on the day of a festival."
    "Would you have thought all our friends would have gotten married right after us?"
    She sighs.
    "Point. You have a point."
    We both sigh.

"I bet the chickens will jump on me and drink my blood."
    "Oh, actually, I...Nevermind. You'll see when you get there."
    I headed out the door, wincing in anticipation of what awaited.

"Oh, come on, Basil! You're already married!"
    "...What? Oh, that's right. You've had quite the rash of weddings recently, haven't you? It must be pretty tiring."

"About your farm. It's looking very nice, Fox!"
    ...Actually, even though he was at Popuri's wedding...I don't recall when he came back.
    "Thanks. Glad to see you back in town."
    Someone's dad came from out of town to their wedding, at least.

Anyway, time to head to the coop and face the music.

...Huh. The chickens are all fed...Did Elli do this?
    That's pretty brave; after 4 days of not getting fed, I can't imagine Malice would be anything less than the terror of the coop.

I end up standing there for a few minutes with a big, dopey smile on my face.

I head out to manage the cows.

I didn't realize it at first, but it looks like Verne's grown up, too!

Unlike the cows we just bought, she's already giving a larger size of milk.
    Brown's doing well, too. Everyone seems to be doing really well outside.

A lot of work's piled up. And a lot of mail.

For once, I can't take this guy to task. I do kind of like my wedding picture.

I guess the mail's piled up, too...

But there's one last letter.

He sent me a letter.
    After all his disapproval and fuss, he said 'congratulations.'
    He never wanted to help, but he said he would. He didn't approve, but he said 'congratulations.' Even after I refused to invite him.

I can't work out what to think about that. It just keeps circling around in my head until I feel just a little sick. Maybe...I misjudged him. Just a little.

Well, I think Elli's gone ahead to the races. I better get going too.

The races are really much the same as they were this time last year...

But the odds are interesting, at least. Some clear winners, but no 1:1 odds.
    I'll put my money on...Ojaki.

Anyway, I should go track down Elli and --

Or I can watch the race.
    I never got the chance to enter Agro. Just as well; I'm way too worn out for that.

Ooh, man. This is a close one!

"And the winners are:"

"Second place, Mozz!"

Wooh! I won that one pretty handily!

That's a lot of medals. I should get something nice with them.

Anyway, everyone's gathered there, as always.

"Cliff, I'm not racing."
    "Really?"
    "I didn't have any time to prepare."
    I mean, with a week like that...

You know, it seems like every festival I've seen twice so far, there've been more people at the second one than the first. What's with that?

"I'm always ready to go for it!...I'm just kind of tired. A woman shouldn't have to help set up races the day after her wedding; it's too cruel."
    It could be worse. There could be another wedding today.

"You should try it."
    "Next time, next time. I don't mind my title getting usurped."
    "These races don't give titles, do they?"
    "...Well. No."

"I didn't have time. Would you have?"
    "...Got me there."

Everyone has a worn-out look. I wonder how many people actually wanted there to be a race today?
    Still, we chat and Elli and I relax by the bakery's stall. I eventually decide I want to see the set-up for the next race...

It'd really be something if Sakura or this Pikls (Pickles, maybe?) were to win, huh?
    Still, there's profit to be made from voting on Shioka, so that's my choice.

"The second race is about to start. All participants should come to the gate."

Ah, that's a clear winner.

Good call, past me!

A race like this is pretty much a foregone conclusion, isn't it? Most likely, I put 99 points in, I get 99 medals out.
    It's the 'why even bother' outcome of races...Eh, I may as well get 99 medals.

I guess I'll get some cotton candy, while I'm here.

Oh, that's pretty good. I'll bring a bit of it to Elli so we can eat while we wait for the third race.

Yada, yada.

We'll see what sort of race this is! Will it be an underdog story or the dullest tale of all time!

A really close finish from such an unlikely source! Let's see who won!

Despite that horse's best...It's just a standard ending. How sad.

I can't afford a new stable...But a stuffed horse might be a nice addition, just as decoration.

Anyway, everyone heads home after that.

I do a bit of logging in the woods; there's a bit left to add on to the house and so-on.

And when I head home, Elli's by the bed, waiting for me.

"...Oh, good, you're home! You were working through dinner, so, before I went to bed, I wanted to see you."
    "Sorry." I've never thought about things like that -- no one's ever been waiting for me. "I guess I'm not used to this whole thing yet. I'll try to let you know where I'll be, at least."
    It's not as if I can stop running

"...And I'll try to get home so we can go to bed together at night."
    "Good. Otherwise, I'll definitely have to spike your breakfast. Hmm, no, that'd be a waste of good food...Well, I'll think of something!"
    We laugh, and she gets into bed.

I hop in behind her, and wrap my arms around her.

I never imagined someone would be waiting for me, that someone would welcome me home, waiting by the bed so that she's sure...The last thing we see at the end of the day is each other.

Is this what it feels like, a loving family? ...Everything feels so warm.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

15. - Top - End - #585
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Aww. You gave me the warm and fuzzies.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Troll in the Playground

...D-darn you dust, s-stop getting in my eye. <.< >.>
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

17. - Top - End - #587
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you! I'm glad there's some warm fuzzies.
    I realized that with all the weddings, I lost track of time -- it's going to be about time to vote for who's going to be the Flower Festival's Harvest Goddess...But...I'm not sure there's a point of holding a vote at this stage. *shrug* So I don't quite know what to do.

Edit:
    I have a chapter mostly done, but I think I need to take a few days off from this; to be honest, I've been pressuring myself to keep myself active so much that I'm starting to go a little bit crazy, and I think that's a symbol for me to clear my plate a bit. Expect chapter around the weekend.
    I figure you guys got a chapter recently when it wasn't scheduled, so it balances, right? Right?
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-07-30 at 10:08 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

18. - Top - End - #588
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

It absolutely balances. Don't overwork yourself on behalf of some strangers on the internet- as always, we'll still be here when you get back.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 48: A Spring Breeze
    Spoiler
    Show

Spring - 18 - xxx2

I feel it in the wind. How foolish of me; thinking this was done.

...Because the week isn't complete unless *everybody* is married, right? Still, Kai looks so excited I can't help but feel pleased.

He catches himself and blushes.
    "With Karen!" He's like an energetic little kid today.
    "Congratulations! I'm happy for you."
    "We're having the wedding..."

Well, if you're going to use that many exclamation marks, I guess I have to.
    So I get ready and head out for yet another day of not feeding my chickens.

...Is that...Is that...
    Is that his usual bandanna and a pink tux?

...It really speaks for itself. I don't have to comment on it.

I remember when Kai and I discussed what our feelings for Karen might have been -- he was willing to stand aside for me...And in the end, that patience payed off.

And Karen found what she was looking for, in the end. There's no reason for either of them to wander anymore -- nothing to escape, nothing to look for, nothing to avoid. Because the place they are is the place where things matter.

...But dang, that pink suit, man.

I have been enjoying these parties, though! I'm not completely cleaned up, at the end of the day.

Spring - 19 - xxx2

Will the visitors never end?
    Basil, you're already married!

"...Well, yes. You told me about it last year."
    "Oh yeah! So I did. Woops."
    You forgot that?

Well, there's a runaway winner this time in my book!
    ...Besides, with weddinpalooza up in here, it'd be odd, dancing with another guy's wife.

"You, too."

All the cows are really happy, from being in the sun for so long. I guess my little pasture's really working out for them.
    Almost everyone's producing large milk now.

I finish work and head out for the day. Basil's out checking out the local flora. With the butterfly guy and the fisherman, we have a healthy collection of vagrants and wanderers.

"And a greenhouse! You've certainly been working hard while I was gone."
    "Thanks. It's all sort of coming together."

I also chat up the fisherman for tips.

Hmmm...I've mainly been fishing in the evening; I may need to re-work my schedule.

I also decide to see how everyone's doing at the vineyard after the wedding. Of all things...

"I can't express it well."
    He's happy.

"...I'd really guess it's got more to do with recent events."
    "You're right there...But he seemed encouraged even before the wedding. It was subtle, but...Thank you."
    I'll take it, I suppose.
    "I just like listening to people. It's interesting."

"Hey, Kai! How's newlywed life treating you?"
    (

"But I'm just over the moon now!"
    Man, that smile is just contagious.

I head into town next, to buy some seeds. I've got a lot of replanting to do.

I plant my seeds and glance at my watch. It's around lunchtime, so I figure I can go inside and maybe grab something to eat.
    Elli was in there, and we fixed something to eat together. And...As nice as it was, I was still thinking about something else.

I've had the letter Dad sent in my pocket for a while now. I take it out and stare at the crumples.

"Your dad sent congratulations? I didn't actually think you'd tell him about the wedding."
    I bite down on a laugh.
    "Well, he'd just be mad at me otherwise. But this..." I shake my head.
    "It's so little. A real dad would have done better.
    It's much more than I expected, too."

Elli raises a skeptical eyebrow.
    "Did you ask him to come?"
    I shook my head.

"Listen, Fox. I think you should try and get along with him better seriously.
    But...I'm proud you called. It's a little something, but hey, it's something. Every step in the right direction is a good step. That's true for your Dad, too. Even if it's a little something, he tried, right?"

I don't say anything. It's not like I asked to hate my dad; it's just the only response that's worthwhile.
    She sighs and heads back to the fridge.

"I don't get you and your dad sometimes. I guess I'm just used to thinking...That you need to love your family, no matter what."
    "Even when they're jerks?"
    "Then you've got to help them, well, not be jerks. If they're not worth your love, you need to encourage them to be. If nothing else, to understand them...
    Because they're your family. They can't be replaced."

She stands there for a moment, and I see her trying to shrug off dark thoughts.

"...It's OK. I'm sad she couldn't have been there to see it, too."

"She'd have been so happy; it was something we were all hoping we'd share. When I think about her, I still feel..."

"Thanks to you."
    We kiss.

"I'll...think about things with Dad."

I can't stay there forever, though. I've got work to do.

"Things. I'm too busy playing; I'll think..."

...That actually sounds like a bad idea...Then again, it's basically what I did, and it worked out for me...
    "Don't abandon them forever...But I don't think it's wrong to put something aside if you can't deal with it for now."

Hmmm...I think he's still worried. But he's a tough kid.

Anyway, I'm here to log!

After all, I'm pretty darn close to it...The last upgrade I can do for my house.

"Yup!"

There we go. We'll be complete in a few days!

I spend the rest of the evening on adding some more grass and some plots for new flowers; I'd really like to plant some of the seeds they sell at the flower festival this year.

And when I get too tired to work, we head to bed together.

Spring - 20 - xxx2

The morning's quiet.

Just a flyer for those flowers I want.

I go and talk to the Goddess, since...Eh, why not? Also, this mass-wedding thing has her smell.

"Happy newlywedding! Is that how that works?"

"Well, I just wanted to drop by...Um. Also, I'm sort of wondering...There was this sort of mass-wedding-fest."[/color]
    She laughs.
    "Oh, that. Isn't it exciting <3?"

My eyes narrow.
    "What did you do? That scheduling can't be coincidence."

"I didn't do anything, sweetie. You did. Well, sort of."
    "I did? What the heck did I do?"
    "It's like I've been saying: you effect the land. You've got an energy it needs to revitilize itself, and keep moving forward."
    "But that was about grapes! And you. And springtime. And... How deep does this rabbithole go?"

"The land is the same as the people who live on it. The people who live on the land are the same as the land. And I'm all of those things... And you're..."
    "I'm?"
    "You bring energy in. You let things move. It's...It's like when you've kept your windows closed all winter. The air is stiff and stagnant, and it gets hard to breathe. Nothing moves, and the air goes bad. When you open up the window, the new air comes in like a rush."
    "And when air circulation starts, everyone gets married at once?"

"It's not a perfect metaphor. But it's true; things got stagnant. The only way people could have moved forward was to leave...Because this place wouldn't let them. Everything just...ran down. History ran down here. The future ran out..."
    She looked, in that moment, like someone who had stared her own death in the face. A goddess who had been waiting to die.

"But people still wanted to move forward. You know how sometimes people feel like a place is keeping them down? It just doesn't mesh? It's like that, except not a metaphor...Though, from a human perspective, it would be. But all that wanting to move forward, waiting to grow, wanting to advance... When you came along and got things moving again, it all just sort of exploded at once."
    She explained cheerfully.
    "It's why I was so anxious about you leaving. I didn't want that to happen again, not after...what happened with your father."
    "...What does that mean? What happened?" If there's something about this place here that's got to do with my dad...That's something I want to understand, at least. I'm tired of coy hinting!

She paused. She thought about it.
    "I think that's something you should try and learn more about from the people here. When you think you know, though, I'll tell you."
    I groan.
    "I do have a place you can start, though. Something you can help me with... Have you seen the old building on the mountaintop?"
    "Yeah."
    "The people there could really use someone. They know about the past of this place, so I'm sure that, once you gained their trust, they could tell you something."

"...Well, I guess I can see them. Thanks."
    She nods and goes back into the spring.

With that weighing on me, I decide to go visit some other people. Like Maria, for example.

"How are you? Harris treating you well?"
    She smiles.
    "Oh, yes..." She turns her head and fiddles with her hair. "I-in a way, it's all...Thanks to you."
    "Thanks to me?"
    "Harris seems to think so, anyway. You must have really inspired him."

I spend some time in the library, like the old days, and then move down towards the ranch...
    When I'm stopped by May's grandmother, the old midwife.

"Well, aren't you looking well!"
    "I suppose."

"a sturdier look. Responsibility grows a man."
    I'm not sure about that, but it's something I can't quite formulate yet.
    Well, I guess I probably do look sturdier than I did before; I feel sturdier.

And then to the Ranch. Only Ann is out and about today.
    "Heya, Ann. How's tricks?
    "Wonderful and frustrating!" She says with a bright smile.
    "Frustrating?"

"If things go wrong. But if I call him foolish..."

"That does sound like him...Just try to be gentle, I guess?"
    "If he wanted gentle, he wouldn't have married me!... But I do try. In my own way."

I wonder what sort of way that is...

I head home and work on completing the last rows of flowerbeds. After this, it's all grass.

And when I'm done, I head to bed.

So, we've got about room for two more animals, I think: what should they be, what should I call them, and should they be purchased or birthed (only one at a time can be born from our cows).
    Also...Any preferences for who I talk to and what I do?
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

Buy another sheep and cow.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

21. - Top - End - #591
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Harvest Goddess confirmed for world's greatest troll. No preference on animals.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Buy another sheep and cow.
    I'll second this. Name the Sheep...hmm...

Name it Sheep. For the only cartoon Sheep I can think of right now.

Or Shawn.

As for the Cow...um...Cow? No let's not do that twice. Um...Miruku?

Quote Originally Posted by fizzmaister View Post
    Harvest Goddess confirmed for world's greatest troll. No preference on animals.
    Knowing who the goddess is based off of, this makes me grin to no end. Heh...

Other things that make me grin to no end:

*Fox climbing into bed with Elli.
    *Harris apparently talking nonstop about Fox with Maria
    *Ann being incredibly happy to be frustrated with Cliff
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

YES! Shawn the Sheep! Wallace and Grommit references FTW!
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

24. - Top - End - #594
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cow name, Totoro.

And also, might we see more of our crazy inventor friend Rick?

Could we see the powerberry picture in the kitchen / how many of them have you gotten? That would be something to do.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trobby View Post
    As for the Cow...um...Cow? No let's not do that twice. Um...Miruku?
    "Miruku"? How about "Miruki"?

26. - Top - End - #596
    Troll in the Playground

I'll see if the cow names fit; it does mean I'll have to re-play a bit (you forget to check a thread for one day, and suddenly you don't have to make decisions you've already made for yourself).

Quote Originally Posted by Javan View Post
    And also, might we see more of our crazy inventor friend Rick?

Could we see the powerberry picture in the kitchen / how many of them have you gotten? That would be something to do.
    I can do both of those things next time, yeah.
    I'm actually working with quite a few in mind presently, so we'll be getting a few others sometime before summer's out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trobby View Post

Knowing who the goddess is based off of, this makes me grin to no end. Heh...

Other things that make me grin to no end:

*Fox climbing into bed with Elli.
    ...I forget if I based her off of someone in particular....Though some of her personality is clearly based on other Harvest Goddesses -- it amazes me I haven't made her go "Ta-daaaa!" more often.

Also, that also makes me smile every time I see it. It's why I will make note of it until everyone's sick of my doing so: because I go out of my way to drop anything I'm having Fox do when 9 hits to dash back so I can see that animation.
    It's just the cutest thing.

Update Status: Expect it tomorrow. I'm having some troubles that make me need to replay a day or so of game over, and over, and over again. It's sapping my will to work.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-08-13 at 03:49 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 49: Gather Ye Flowerbuds While Ye May
    Spoiler
    Show

Spring - 21 - xxx2

The morning was fairly ordinary -- nothing really to report. So I headed up to the mountain

I could have used the bridge...But to be honest, I'd gotten used to using the tree, and you don't often see anyone by the hotspring, so it's a better route for socializing.

I saw it before, but no one was home. Or, maybe it was just locked because it was late? Still, who could be living up here? No one's come down from here, so...

I feel a chill, but enter into the old building anyway.

Huh. Of all the things I was expecting 'a well-kept, if rather old-fashioned, restaurant'? Not one of them.
    But this is one of those trailside places to stop and rest and maybe eat some dumplings or something that you see in period movies: the whole thing feels like a time capsule.

The couple working here looks surprised that I came in; it makes me feel...Out of place, maybe? If this place is a time capsule, then I'm some guy tracking his muddy boots into the dust of ages past.
    I approach the old woman on the near side of the counter.

"Sorry for disturbing you, I --"
    She laughs.

"It's no disturbance!"

So they do make dumplings here. Called it.

"How much are they?"
    She pauses, obviously not sure of the number herself.
    "Dear, how much are the dumplings?"
    How long *has it been* since anyone's come here?

"Well...About 150g. But we're running a little low on supplies..."
    The man looks a little uneasy as he sorts through their no-doubt depleted supplies.
    Where did this young man come from, anyway?"
    "Oh, I'm from Clover farm. Down by the base of the mountain? That one."

"So far away."
    It's just down the mountain, man.
    "Nobody's visited since the bridge broke."
    Really?...How long was that bridge out, anyway? Have they really been alright up here?
    I let some of my concern show, because the old man comments,

"but it's been lonely. And we've been having trouble getting herbs and supplies for our dumplings."

"Well, I have some herbs I picked on the way up, if it'll help."
    "Oh, thank you! I'm sure my wife would appreciate it if you gave her some."

"It's good for the body to eat bitter herbs in the spring."

In the end, we don't get to discuss what I came here for -- instead, we end up talking recipes.

You nearly called your wife 'Ms.' Oh, Harris.

"Ok, I will."
    In the end, it makes sense, though. That's a nice house...And where did Harris live before, anyway?

I head to the store to buy some seeds...

"Hey, do you have anything from your greenhouse? I want to look it over, see how that's working here."
    I pass him corn.
    "This is very nice. It really seems this is working."
    "You can keep that, if you like. I'd set it aside."

"Corn pasta. It's..."

Recipe!

The mayor end I end up talking outside about Maria and her new husband -- it's a little silly
    "I'm sure she made a good choice."

Aww.

Anyway, I head home and begin to take care of afternoon work.

...Wait.
    Wait.

I forgot something. But...What...?
    AAAAAGH, I FORGOT TO VOTE!

I run through town as quickly as I can.

This year? Cast your votes! You make the decision!
    Don't toy with me, box. You know what I want.

With the time it is, and the whole evening undefined...I figure there's not much to do but waste some time until the bar opens and pop in for a second.

I only realize now how non-stop my life has become: I feel anxious waiting for an hour. Is there something I can do in an hour? I keep thinking that, looking around. Hey, me. Chill.

When everyone's filed in after me, Mr. Green gives me a firm pat on the back.

Did he read my mind or something? That's....almost eerie.
    "I've gotten used to always having something to do; I guess I made some habits there."

I was going to say that's because his wife lets him gallivant off everywhere, but then I think.
    Wherever I need to go, I know Elli will go with me. If she wants to go somewhere far away, for her life, I'll go with her...We've got that, so that we can go where we want in the future without worrying we'll lose each other and be stranded.
    He may have a point. Don't think he knows that, though.

"Well, not bad, actually."
    He sees my sort of distant smirk and laughs.

"Oh, hardly. There's just a lot about it. Not what I was expecting."
    He laughs at that, too.
    "Glad to hear it, kiddo."

After I'm done, I do some work prepping for more grass to be grown.

And head to bed.

Spring - 22 - xxx2

It's another quiet morning. A lot of the time, there's nothing to say about mornings, which can be a little depressing. It's not until I'm on my way to the mountain that I change anything in particular.

I feel like showing off to the fisherman.

Wow, that's...pretty nice. I was expecting him to talk shop, but that's a good bit of generosity there.

Anyway, I'll head up now.

"I guess you could put it like that."
    My spirits? Not bad, honestly.

"Good morning, Ma'am."
    Well, it's closer to noon.

"...I, um. Came by yesterday. My name's Fox."
    I did forget to introduce myself.

"It's alright, ma'am. I'm bad with new people, too."
    That's a lie. If you haven't guessed, dealing with people is my specialty. Also, apparently causing massive event-pile-ups with my nonsensical wizardry.

Anyway, I linger there for a while, getting the lay of the land, sort of

I head into town briefly and chat with Basil. Going to their store's a habit by now.

...This sounds like it's winding up to be the world's most philosophical salespitch. I'm impressed -- can someone try and sell me beer via existential despair? Because I'd buy.
    "The grasses are strong, but the vegetables damage easily in a hurricane."
    Aren't they called typhoons in this part of the world?
    "So I don't need to worry about my pastures when summer storms roll around?"
    "They'll be fine! the grass will outlast even some of your buildings!"
    ...That feels ominous, for sure.
    This looped back around to being practical. Who knew?

Anyway, I've got stuff I want to do at the ranch...And, anyway, I've got people to visit.

Popuri's by the flowerbeds, so I get pulled into conversation.
    "Hey, Popuri. How's things going?"

"working on the farm."
    "That's good. And with Grey?"
    "Weeeeeeeellll...."
    She giggles.

I glance over at Grey, who is watching this conversation. I wink at him and chuckle, just so I could see him look emberassed. I kind of have the impression that, before this point...He's not been around the block. Not even a little bit.

Is his grumpy comment later. Still, it looks like he's doing well.

Anyway, Ann seems to be in thought.
    "Heya."

Well, yes. But I think she's talking about herself and Cliff here.
    "We need to talk to understand each other. We have to..."

I'm...not sure the arguing is really the best way of solving problems, but....
    Well.
    It's Ann we're talking about.

"Cliff, you..."
    He turns and I notice a bruise. I guess that stops me there. I mean, you see a guy with a big ol' bruise, you naturally feel kind of worried for him.

"Seriously?"
    "It's fine. She got a little carried away, but that sort of thing doesn't bug me. I can take a few licks...She felt worse about it than I did."
    I'm not sure what to make of that. But, like I said, it is Ann. Her flying a bit off the handle when someone frustrates her? Well, that's just Ann.

I did come here for a reason, though.
    ...Anyway, I figure I can expand out to include another cow.

"I never try and return a cow, anyway. You know that."
    "So I do."
    He laughs and shakes his head.

Anyway, I go home and name her. I'm just sort of going with my gut feeling here.
    Well, that, and language jokes.

And there we are, the penultimate animal on this farm. Maybe I'll go for a sheep next.
    Let's get you outside and...

Oh goddess, they're escaping!
    Panic, panic!

That was almost trouble.
    Now, you, just go in the pasture!

No, not like -- AGGH!
    Well, I get it done. Eventually.

After that, I work in the field until I'm spent...

And I stop and think about my progress getting those berries. I don't know how many there are around here, but there's a lot of space on the tree. Hm.

I ran up to the mountain to get some supplies for tommorow and so on while I mulled this over.

And then it was time for bed.

Spring - 23 - xxx2

A conversation that popped up before breakfast, in the early morning stupor:

"So it's impossible to live without killing something. I think so, too."
    "That's an unusual way of thinking about it. Very Popuri, though... What brought this up?"
    "Well, I was just thinking about vegetarians. They just sort of get to me, and that's what she said. She's right -- living is connected to dying, pretty much forever."
    As far as pet-peeves go, 'vegetarians' is a pretty random one.

...Hey. Is there something different about this room? Well, I'll think about that after breakfast.

I'm the sort of guy who can get out of bed, get his morning kiss and breakfast, and eat it quietly before noticing something like...

The giant staircase intruding into the house.

"Oh, that's done, huh?"
    "You could sleep through a typhoon, couldn't you?"
    "Haven't had the opportunity to try yet."
    She shakes her head fondly.

"Well, let's see."

So, the stairs just go up to the roof? Kind of random. But there might be nice stargazing up here.

The carpenter is down below with his crew.

"It's a nice little hatch, yeah."
    I'm still reeling about the staircase emerging from nothing there.

...I think he's ignoring the fact that I just walked up his work to have that conversation.
    I wave them up and get things out of the way to go to the festival.

Pictured: a lot of turnips.

Anyway, I head out to the festival: Elli left ahead of me to prepare.

"Are coming soon."

"That's a silly question."
    Anyway, this is much busier than last time.

"Them from Spring to Summer."

"Yeah, I'll take, like, 10."
    Why not, right?
    They look a little taken-aback, but it's a drop in the financial bucket.

Flower facts, with your friend: That Potion Shop Guy.

"I didn't see you last year, did I, Jeff?"
    He laughs nervously.
    "I...just felt like attending now."

Since all these girls are married, I do not feel cool with this line of thinking.
    Also, like, a decade younger than you.

Grey's enigmatic as usual.

"...like a flower blossom."
    "That's...really something special, man." I'm not joking. It's...something.
    Something adorable, but I have too much dignity to tell another guy he's being adorable.

"Well, now's your chance. I can't wait to see it."

"Eh, well...At least her hair will be great."
    "Her hair is always great. She's just being silly."

Silly me.

And then I end up waiting, chatting with the mayor to pass the time.

Eventually, the girls come out.

Darnit! Does my vote count for nothing?
    Well, I guess it's just one vote, but...Oh, well.

Popuri is the reigning goddess in the end. It does suit her well, but...Darnit.

"Aw, man. I hope you don't mind I...probably won't get to dance with you this time, honey."
    "It's fine. I've never really been interested in wearing that get-up, but... All the same..."

"I thought you'd like some of the fall festivals more. For the food."
    "That'd be fine, except I end up making so much of it. It's a real tragedy."
    She says with a smile.

"On our ranch...Well, Popuri is, and Grey's not saying no."
    My prediction: five years from now, that thing's all flowers.
    No more cows.
    Just flowers.
    Maybe some horses.
    And flowers.
    And the bird.

"Stunning as always. Thank the Harvest Goddess, I suppose."
    I mean that literally. That's still odd to me...But I guess she won't let anyone rain on her literal parade.

Seems like everyone's in a floral mood. I guess Spring turns fancy to both love and flowers.

"Thanks, Popuri."
    This is gonna be...awkward.

Oh, thank goodness he asked.
    "No, I think I'll leave her to her husband."
    Or he'll take me out back with a shotgun like ol' yeller. I'm just kidding.

"Well, looks like we get that dance after all."

I sweep her onto the dance floor.

In a dance like this, there's not really the best use of anyone's skills. Elli's got the sort of bounce this calls for.

As such, it feels like in her turns, she's springing away from me. In her, she's bounding back to me like a puppy.

And she looks...So happy to be here. To dance with me like this, even if the tradition said something else.

LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

28. - Top - End - #598
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fox you lazy bum, you are missing a number of those power berries get working :P

Do the old folks on the mountain actually provide back story in game?

29. - Top - End - #599
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, I'm working on several of them in-game currently: there's one to be had by growing all these dang flowers.

There's one with the kappa I'm waiting for for the next rainy day, but I've checked a guide that says you don't need it to be a rainy day after all, so we shall see.

There's one to be had this time next year from befriending Basil (which I'm working on)

and one to be had from tilling the soil, but that's random

The only one we're not actively working towards currently involves leveling up our hammer to max...So, I guess maybe I should start by working to maybe phase out some of the rocks for lumber, instead. And doing some practice swings.

Also, no. They're just sort of there...I just have this weird soft spot for them, and want Fox to have a reason to go out of his way to talk to them.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-08-17 at 12:19 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

30. - Top - End - #600
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yay marbles... or rather marble (singular).
    One of my favorite trading sequences.