New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

It's a pretty nice sequence, especially since it involves some of my favorite characters (Almost all of the characters in HM64 are my favorite characters in HM64. Just works that way.)

Chapter 50: Sheep in the Big Barn
    Spoiler
    Show

Spring - 24 - xxx2

Starting off the day, we tend to discuss how we're doing, what we're looking forward to... It's not always interesting,
    Elli's perked up a lot since the festival.

[color=sienna]"Everything's revving back up, and there's so much to do before summer hits. It's a busy time,"[/b]

"Yeah, I kind of am. There's just a bit left to finish before things here are really settled -- we can do it, I think."

I head out to face the day!

Mocha's milk went up a size, I think. That's nice.

And there's some wool from Lambo, too.

...A souvenier? For what, exactly?
    Also. CAMERA -- Oh, you get the idea.

Blue mist seeds? What are those?
    Well, I could plant one or two, just to see. It might be nice.

Anyway, about that photo...

When was this taken? Who interrupted my happy time with my dog?

Stewing over this, I head up the mountains. People are scattered there, since it's the ranch's day off and all.
    Cliff stops me on my way around.

"You know, I was thinking about what you asked the other day..."

"I'm enjoying lots of things I thought I wouldn't, or was too afraid to have. Even some hard things..."

"...I think that's all anyone can say, then. Still -- I figured you'd be happier if you just took a plunge."
    He was just so unsettled. I don't think it really made a difference what sort of final choice he made...But maybe it did. Maybe he could have made the wrong choice, for good.

I head to the mountain shop, but there's not much to say there -- the woman still doesn't quite remember I've been there before.
    How does the goddess expect these people to remember my dad, who they last saw, if ever, 20-something years ago?

I head into town, making smalltalk with Harris along the way.

It was really small smalltalk.

And in town, I hear two very different perspectives on life:

Rick, with his contemplative moods and his tendency to forget his own business... Well, his life is probably full of big inventing phases and little mental blocks, productive and unproductive times.

"more when you get older."
    And Saibarah, having lived out here for a long time, said the opposite.

I told them both they may be right.
    I'm more aware than I was before: I'm still learning what my life is like. It's annoying: I used to know, but then I threw away what I knew. I don't regret that, but at the same time...
    At the same time, it made my life feel fragile. I mean, Dad's still coming, isn't he? What would I say if he wanted to rip my life apart again, 'for my own good'?

I stand there in the warm glow of Saibarah's shop, trying to straighten my head out on that. I clench and unclench my fists.

The old man probably hoped I'd stop scowling in the middle of his dang shop, because he suddenly asked,
    "Hey, kid? Have you been up in the mountain lately? I haven't had the chance to go and get some of the spring herbs."

"Sure, I've got one. Want it?"

Well, that distracted me at least. There are a lot of people in town with little recipes: I bet Elli and I could sort of make a project out of seeing how far we could go. I'll bring it up.

Anyway, this tells me it's time to leave before I try his patience.

I go buy my seeds...And I get a look at this blue mist seed thing.

"more. We only have one, and it comes to about 500."

Well, it's a bit steep, but... I'd like to see what sort of flower it is.

As I leave, though, Popuri comes out behind me. She must have been visiting her mother and the shop.

"Let's go to the mountain!"
    I weigh whether or not to ask why.

But come up with the answer of 'It's Popuri.'
    The ultimate answer.
    The ultimate non-answer.

You could apply it to any non-sequitor, the world over. Even the ones totally unrelated to Popuri.

...So, of course, I go.

When she gets to the Goddess's spring, she clears a little patch of dirt, and readies it as if for planting. She waves me to it.

"...Couldn't we just plant it on my farm?" This is starting to feel...

Familiar.

"I don't know if it's because of tree covering or the fountain,"

That's it. It smells like more magic.

"...What does the Goddess have to do with this?"
    "You know, I'm not really sure <3." She smiles serenely and looks out over the clearing, and down at the bulb I'm carrying with me.
    "But I think that such a rare flower...Probably needs a very special blessing to grow. So we'll have to ask her to help, too!"

You know, this makes a lot more sense than mass-weddings. I'm down with this.

"Let me explain."

"If you forget to water them even once before they bloom, they'll quickly die."
    Such a cheery tone.

I plant the seeds. Something about this place makes my fingers tingle.

And she waters it, before issuing her dire warning:

Well, I guess I'll be seeing a lot more of this place for the next few days. Now, though, I should head home.

I plant my normal seeds...

And burn out completely before I can finish watering the pink cat mint seeds. I need to maybe buy some medicine, watch myself a bit better.

But right now, I just need to rest.

Spring - 25 - xxx2

"I fed the chickens this morning," Elli reports during breakfast.
    "I've noticed you've been helping out; thanks." I can't say I expected it; it's not like I couldn't handle it on my own.

"...Living here, I've sort of realized something... Well, I guess re-realized it."

"In this farm, you're the person at the top of that, and in some ways, it means you've got to make sure everything works at the bottom. So I wanted to help out."

"You just like seeing things enjoy eating."
    She laughs.
    "True, true. The chickens get to be happy, too."

And with that, I start off my day.

Nothing of note until I get up to the mountain. Basil's hanging around, but he stops me as I go by.
    "You're taking care of that Blue Mist Seed, right?"
    "That's right."
    "That's interesting work; they're amazing plants, but...Working with them is so finicky. There's a lot of trusting fate."

Hm, that's a way of looking at it. I guess the Harvest Goddess would agree, if only to be protective of her turf.

I take care of the Bluemist flower...

And head on up to talk to the old mountain couple.

Yess...? Yes?
    Come on, lady....You can do this!
    We've had offscreen training montages about this.

"Yes!"
    Actually, we haven't.

The old man and I make generic smalltalk about the state of the farm.
    "I remember the last person who worked that farm, before the bridge collapsed..."
    "You knew my grandpa?"
    "You're his grandson? My, how time flies. I didn't know he had a grandson."
    ...How long ago did this bridge break, anyway?

Well, I don't get that answered; he just sort of hems and haws about it. But I do have other things to do...

For example, I remember how that kappa said he might have not given me a legitimate berry... And, to be honest, I'm pretty sure he didn't. I haven't been wearing out more slowly, especially now that winter's over.
    I need a word with him. Of course, he only appeared on a rainy day, but...Maybe if I use a larger fish?

"So, you finally caught on, huh?"

"That it was a fake? Yeah. I just didn't know if you'd show up when it wasn't raining, so I didn't want to press it."
    "Ha! Well, it'd just be cozier. Good thing you can't talk clearly to save your skin, or these folks'd think your crazy! Most people can't see our lot."
    "...I kind of guessed. So, what's the deal with giving me a fake?"

"I wanted to see if you'd catch on, or if you're just a lazy human. Still...You've been working hard. I can tell."
    The kappa pauses thoughtfully.
    "The people are moving on with their lives, and the land's softer than last spring. We might even see a marker of sacred places again....I guess I should be thankful."

He says it with a smirk, like it's not something he wanted to admit.
    "...I didn't do anything in particular. Just, you know, living."
    "...That's even more important. Nothing good comes from doing something because it's what someone told you to do. In our terms, it's got no real magic."

Magic is strange, but I don't say that.

"So, yeah. I guess...I acknowledge you. You're a help...And you might not turn your back on this place."
    ...I don't know that. I might not have a choice.

He pauses and gives me a curious look.
    "...Why'd you give me a fish again?"
    "Well, it got you up, didn't it? You can keep it if you want."

He smiles brightly.

[color=darkseagreen]"It's not fake this time."

I eat it, tasting the bright sweetness of it clear and pure enough that I can feel it energizing me. When I do, I notice he's gone.

After that, and dodging an odd glance for my berry-summoning mojo, I head into town.
    Buy some seeds, and head to Rick's...

Where a cloud of black smoke has taken up residence. As it streams out of the shop behind me, I find Rick staring at a burnt-looking pile of junk on his desk.
    "Not having a good day?"

Since I don't exactly know what he was making, I have no clue.
    "Check your fuel lines; maybe something got into somewhere it shouldn't and combusted. That's...a thing that can happen, right?"
    He laughs, then breaks back into coughing.
    "Thanks, Fox. I may have gotten a bit over-eager...But you will just adore my automatic tomato-picker!"
    Yeah.
    Sure. Suuure I will.
    "...Isn't that a little small?"
    "It's only a model."
    ...An exploding model. Well, I'm sure this isn't the last I've heard of it.

I head over to the ranch...

And buy my last animal, a sheep.

I end up talking with Cliff some, since he's free for a second.
    "You know, this is the first time I've had steady work in a while."
    "I kind of guessed. On account of you being a random transient and all."
    He rolled his eyes, but...Well, I hit the nail on the head.

He is good with animals, so I'm sure he'll do well.

I've got to run over and see to my delivery:

This may be the last time for a long time I will hear him call my place a shack.
    Good.

He's not in the big city, sadly.

But he's my last animal for a while: my cuddly little Sheep.

He goes outside easily...

And I just take care of my plants until it's time for bed.

Spring-26-xxx2

You know...I'm not re-planting these. At least not right away. I've earned a break from having 70 million plants going at once.
    I mean, I've even got that strange flower to take care of.

I do put one of these cabbages to good work, though. I give it to an old man who lives on a mountain so he will tell me about my family.
    ...I can't decide if I made my life sound like a dumb fantasy novel, or really boring.

...Still, I mostly gave it to him because I thought he might like some nice green cabbage. It'd be tasty and seasonal.

And in exchange, I learned a thing or two about brining!

I don't buy more cabbage seeds...But I do buy more seeds in general. Grass seeds. The pasture will be infinite!

On my way back to the main intersection, I run into Harris, who's in such a good mood he's practically floating off the ground.
    "Someone's in a great mood."

That's incredibly sappy.
    ...I don't sound that bad right?
    Oh, who am I kidding. Love makes saps of us all.

I go home and use that grass...

Until we're done for the day.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-08-19 at 11:03 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

2. - Top - End - #602
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am really enjoying your take on the photographer, he is kind of creepy when you think about it.
    "Berry summoning mojo" I will have to try incorporating that into a conversation at some point just to see the reaction it gets.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -A.C. Clarke

3. - Top - End - #603
    Troll in the Playground

Yes! Spread my random sentences!
    I like giving my characters random, one-sided grudges. This is because I find the sensation of shaking my fist and yelling a name to be really satisfying and funny. I like having a nemesis, even if I have to declare myself the archenemy of a small town in Florida, because I lack any real malice in my soul.

Anyway, since I'm going to Mechacon (a convention in New Orleans) this weekend, and up to Nashville to see my brother for Labor Day weekend, the next chapter will be somewhere in the middle of next week.

...Also, there's an Awkward Zombie comic that explains about the phase of game we're entering into. There's still stuff to do, but...Not densely. I'm not sure how to fix this.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-08-21 at 10:12 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

4. - Top - End - #604
    Dwarf in the Playground

I will try!
    It makes it fun in games devoid of any major conflict.

Mechacon looks fun, we just had GenCon here though I was not able to attend this year.

Love Awkward Zombie. And I know this stage, on my first HM64 save I played till year 6, its was, let's say, interesting.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -A.C. Clarke

5. - Top - End - #605
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Yes! Spread my random sentences!
    I like giving my characters random, one-sided grudges. This is because I find the sensation of shaking my fist and yelling a name to be really satisfying and funny. I like having a nemesis, even if I have to declare myself the archenemy of a small town in Florida, because I lack any real malice in my soul.
    I vote for Tavares. It's a middle of nowhere town that deserves the scorn.

...Also, there's an Awkward Zombie comic that explains about the phase of game we're entering into. There's still stuff to do, but...Not densely. I'm not sure how to fix this.
    You could make updates cover larger swaths of time, just stopping in on days where important things happen. I dunno.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

6. - Top - End - #606
    Troll in the Playground

I'll work out a new format eventually, but this week, I've got stuff to worry about (mostly, going to visit my brother). So have a short little chapter!

Chapter 51: Peaceful Days
    Spoiler
    Show

Spring - 27 - xxx2

...Wait. Waiiit.
    None of the cows produces small milk.
    D...Did a cow grow up and I didn't even realize it?
    I AM THE WORST FARMER.

I run out to check.

Awww, what a good adult cow Holmes(...Right?)
    Well, the only babies left are Miruku and and Sheep.

Elli's out and about today, and it seems we have a mini fish-off going on in the mountains.

"Is it really a cause of particular happiness when that's always true?" I mean, you're a hobo who fishes.
    A fishing hobo. This is the sum of your existence.

I know better than to say those parts.
    "Well, it's not like I can't always be happy."
    A valid point. I concede.

"I dunno, Elli, if you could do everything you wanted all the time, would that really be worth a comment of particular happiness?"
    "Well...Maybe not *particular* happiness. But I think you can certainly take enjoyment out of the everyday."
    "Right, but that's different. Like, happiness is kind of thrilling, you know?" Thrilling and, in the case of this past year...A little scary. Alien and unfamiliar.
    "You've got a point. I like fishing all year round, but..."

"Right. It's a special happiness, that's different from the ordinary...But...The ordinary's still something that's good."
    A warm smile spreads across her face.
    "Yes. It is."

While we're off in lovey-dovey mode, the fisherman looks at me.
    "You think too much about the statements of random passerbys, kid. You need to relax. Fish some more."
    ...Can't argue with that.

Anyway, I've got a fancy plant to water. I stop and see May on the way there.
    "Hey there? What are you thinking about?"
    "What I wanna be when I grow up."
    She smiles, rocking a little on her heels.

"What's that?"

With a smirk, I reply, "I think the princess has a better career life expectancy."
    One day, she will realize a person can wear a pretty dress whenever they want.
    On that day, a fashionista will be born.

The flower's growing a little.

I make a quick dash to the ranch. Ann's a bit troubled today, so we end up talking.

"You think? I think...Everyone's kind of changed since I first came here. Just a little, but... I wouldn't worry. People change more than you think."
    "You're sure? I mean, I want to believe you, but am I..."

"Maybe nothing needs to change more than you think it has."

...Hmm. I think there's still change coming. Call it something in the wind.

But, hey. We'll face that together.

Spring - 28 - xxx2

Ok, today we definitely need to get some new seeds, vacation or no. We're basically out.

YOU. INVENTED. A FUNCTIONING (though highly impractical) TELEPORTER.

I take care of my mountain business first, then head on into seed-purchasing.

Two of each; still less than a full greenhouse, but it leaves me with energy for anything else.

While I'm in town,

Stu has a desire for education...That, if he's lucky, won't be drummed out of him by the time he hits 10. I know that feeling.

And May...

"Three...four, five..." She counts the numbers down on her fingers, folding away a finger that's already been said.

She waves her dissapointed pinky.
    "You forgot six."
    She pouts.

...The priest needs all the help he can get.

I head over to Rick, feeling the ordinariness of the day weighing on me. I say as much, too.
    "It's pretty dull when things are so quiet."

"If you don't take action, nothing will happen! If you..."

"You're right!" I spring back up.

I'll do it! I'll do something! Something exciting! I'll...

I'll...

I'LL HOE MY FIELD!

I plough the last free spot in my field.
    I'M DONE!

...Well, at least until weeds show up tommorow.
    Spring-29-xxx2

Sometimes, after working late into the night (well, not so late I don't show up in time for bedtime, because that's something I will not miss for love or money)...
    I just sort of feel sluggish. I know today will be more of the same stuff from yesterday. And so on. And that's not exactly bad, per se, but it's... wearying. It's wearing.

It's at this juncture, staring at the wall and contemplating getting up today, that my wife thrusts a rice ball into my hand.

"For when you're feeling down and worn out, eat something, OK?"
    "Yes, dear..."
    She gives me an assessing, thoughtful look.
    "I can see you trying to come up with an excuse to take it easy today... But that might not be bad, either. Once all the daily stuff is done, just do things to relax a bit, OK? You don't need an excuse."
    Elli smiles gently, her fingers brushing against my cheek. I relax, melting into her hand. I can feel her fingers bringing out that old line of hers, to take care of myself.
    "...Ok."
    I like spending that sort of time together, even if I don't always talk about it. In the mornings and the evenings, I've got a home against the wind.

The mountain seems much emptier than it used to...It's kind of sad, really.

The old man is wandering around outside.
    "So, how long have you two been together?"
    "Oh, it's so hard to say... I'd say, maybe 50 years? Give or take?"
    I boggle.
    "How do you keep a marriage going that long?"

"You know, I've heard that, but I always thought it was...I dunno. Kind of sexist."
    The man shrugs.
    "You've got to take care of your partner, and she'll take care of you."
    ...That's a nicer way to put it.

I get a lot of dumplings, coming up here. It's a nice break from the hustle and bustle.

In the spirit of that, once I'm done watering my crops, I go fishing. I don't even get a single bite...
    But I do feel peaceful, at least. It's been a nice, chill day.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

7. - Top - End - #607
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

That was a nice relaxing little chapter.

8. - Top - End - #608

No embedded images for this chapter?

9. - Top - End - #609
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    No embedded images for this chapter?
    I have them.

Spam the F5 key if necessary. :)

10. - Top - End - #610

Quote Originally Posted by Javan View Post
    I have them.

Oops you're right, it was something wrong on my end.

I turned off sigs/avatars a while back, and apparently accidentally turned off pictures in general. This was the first time it had come up since that change. Fixed now.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2013-08-30 at 05:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Javan View Post
    ctrl+f5 works better. It's the force refresh command.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

How odd, all this technical stuff.

Anyway, next chapter's going to be delayed: I was sick over the weekend, when I'd like to have been working, and this looks like it'll be a busy couple of days.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

13. - Top - End - #613
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As always, take your time. We won't bite your head off for missing an update.

Or will we?
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, no we won't.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, I thought I did a good job of wording that one! I didn't apologize when I didn't need to at all!

Anyway, the grips of whatever insane exhaustion have lifted enough for me to get this update in. It's not the update I wanted it to be, but such is life sometimes.
    I'm trying to decide if messing with a different project for a while (or at least supplementing) would help me by re-energizing me...Or exhaust me more by giving me more to do. Hm.

Chapter 52: Flowers in Bloom
    Spoiler
    Show

Spring - 30 - xxx2

The flower's grown a bit -- it actually does look blue, which is pretty unusual. Not a lot of blue in this world.

Of note today, helping out in the church. I came in during lunch time, bringing some stuff from the farm. Nothing's nicer than a good lunch when you're in class.

Or, in the case of Pastor Brown, teaching.

Yay, soup. I'm actually more a tomato soup than a chicken soup person, myself.

"I'm thankful for this -- and your help, as well."

"Working and playing...And, more relevantly here, studying and eating."
    "Absolutely."
    I've always been in favor of playing and eating...But part of that was just the way my dad was always making me work and study at meaningless things.

As I go through, May has something in exchange.
    "Daddy said to pay...um...Dets."
    "Debts."
    "Right! And say thanks."

"When I grew up. I still can't read some parts, though."

"...Aww, I'm...I'm very flattered, May."
    Something like that is very precious. To be honest, we only kept a few things of hers. My mom's, I mean. We didn't look at them much, and anyway... It was too sudden for her to do anything for me in the future. If there was anything she'd have wanted for me now...

...Would she have said the same sort of things as Grandpa, at the end? Who knows.

May was talking while I was thinking.

"People far away can read letters, right?"

...I stand there for a few minutes, too overwhelmed by that innocent sadness.

Who knows? Maybe her mom'll see it somehow.
    ...I think that, but I can't take it seriously.

Summer - 1 - xxx1

Oh, it's the horse race girls. They must be here for the fireworks.

...What are they doing here? They're not here to cause trouble, are they? I mean, marriage-wise. We just flirted a little, so there's no need for all the effort of coming here.

Oh, they're here to see all the flowers.
    ...You sure they weren't here to cause just a bit of trouble?

No, my wide array of flowers is just pretty?

I thought a man was supposed to be most desirable when he's taken. I mean, it's good I don't have to deal with trouble, but... It's nice to know you're wanted.

It being the first day of summer, the heat in the air is growing more palpable.
    Getting to the top of the mountain is virtually a nightmare.

"Man, after all that work, I could use a nice cold glass of something."
    By something, I mean maybe beer, but I guess water would work.
    What? Alcohol means you lose heat faster and therefore makes you cooler. It's science.

"Really? That's depressing."

Still, looking at him, the heat doesn't seem to effect him at all. He's not even sweating.
    How strange.

I head down after that, go visit the town and so on. At the florist's, Lillia stops me before I head out.
    "You know what I've noticed about you since you started living here?"

"How's that?"
    "They glitter like a young boy's, where the future exists to be discovered and siezed...Maybe that's a little reckless."
    I did sort of spontaneously quit my stable-but-vapid job, abandon my apartment and friends...Well.
    They weren't really friends, I guess.

And why? Because I thought I heard him say it: have a wonderful life. Because I wanted to prove I could, I guess.
    "It was kind of chasing a dream, I suppose." Still, it seems to have worked out.

Since tonight's the firework, I won't have a lot of time to spend off the farm -- I did those things as quickly as I could, then rushed home to tend the animals before it got dark.

So of course this is a day when Lambo needs shearing. Of course.

It's dark when I'm done, and I'm heading to the house when I spot Elli standing by the shipping bin.

"I think it would be beautiful to watch from the farm together."
    I'm a little dubious about the view because of the distance... But since there aren't any trees on the farm, the sky here is huge and open. I look at it assessingly, full of countless glittering stars.

"Yeah, I think it'd look nice...And anyway, I can't think of a more beautiful sight than right here, anyway."
    I grab her hands in mine, watching the blush spread across her face.

We stand there in the growing dark, making light smalltalk: the growing recipe book ("You know...I gave it to you, but I didn't really expect you to use it. When I first saw it there, I was really happy."), the flowers, her efforts to bring the house somewhat more into order (It stuns her I never)...Just little things.

And then it begins with the shriek of a rocket, off somewhere into the night. The resulting crash of light in the sky, off sort of at an angle because of our location, catches both of our breaths. The colors change as the tempo increases,

I find myself more inclined to study my wife's expression than to watch the fireworks -- her expression is unreserved delight, focused on the fireworks absolutely. They reflect off her big brown eyes, the greens and purples above us bouncing around the highlights of her face. I sometimes worry that, after her previous work at the bakery, she might feel stifled here, or bored. It's not like I said she needed to be a housewife -- to be honest, the thought never crossed my mind. I just assumed she'd keep working, since that's what it always felt like everyone did. Seeing that almost singular focus, I can see where this sort of life wouldn't bother her: everything's a task, and every task deserves 100%.
    As if to answer that thought, she reaches down behind the shipping bin to a bag she'd prepared sometime during the day. She brings out a glistening melon.

"You're not doing summer right without a chilled watermelon to set it up."
    "You really went all-out, huh?"
    "But of course."

We split the melon; whether it was natural or intentional, she finishes before me and watches me finish, the cold watermelon juice sliding down my throat. I dab at my face with a handkerchief, and notice her smiling.

"Actually...I prepared something else, too."
    Wow, she's made this into a proper two-person festival, huh?

"It's not summer without sparklers, either."
    Honestly, I like them better than bigger displays: the light and the faint heat are more immediate, and you control the path of sparks and smoke. It turns it into kind of a game.

"...Always the same. But they somehow look different when I'm with you."

"I guess that's what they call perspective... Still, it's hard to imagine a nicer night. Because I'm with you."

"Me, too."

As she smiles at me, as I pull her into a kiss with the sparklers in our hands burning together, smoke twining into the night sky... I've never felt more desired.

Summer - 2 - xxx2

"We have a fridge, you know."
    "I know... But the romantic image of a cake on a cake-stand, on the table... It's a really precious one. I used to try and swipe cakes like that when I was younger, but you couldn't have them out in summer."
    Picturing Elli taking big handfulls of cake (aw, who am I kidding? She probably used a knife and cut the biggest wedge she could) and trying to hide that she'd eaten it makes me smirk.

Oh, I guess Stu's here to see the flowers, too.

HOW MANY MORE DANG FLOWERS CAN A MAN HAVE?
    Of course, it's not like all of them are growing on a single schedule, but...Geeze, kid.

For a moment, he looks like he wants to run away, but he musters up the courage for an emberassed smile.

"Sure. I...don't actually know what I'm going to do with all of these."

"I don't..."

He shows me a bunch of marbles. They're not a bad collection -- some cat's eyes, some aggies, a nice shooter. I never had time for marbles as a kid, but I still grew up in a time and area that still played marbles.
    "Yeah, that's fine, Stu. Best payment I could get for these."
    Flowers don't sell for money: I've tried.

He eagerly bounds into the field to pick his choices, while I eye my trade.

What am I going to do with these, anyway?

He didn't take a lot, either. I feel like I over-charged.
    I'm going to start bringing these in, I think. Give them away or store them or so-on.

I head up into the mountain, as always, to check on the flower:

It's in full bloom now, the slim breeze bobbing its heavy head up and down on the stalk. Popuri happily flutters around it, lost in her own world of flower-derived ecstasy.

"Well, look at that."
    "We did it! We did it! We got it to bloom!"
    What's all this 'we,'...Oh, nevermind.

"The real thing. I've tried planting them before, but... They never took."
    I doubt she forgot to water. Was it about the tempurature? She was saying before...
    I bet it's because things have been going so well lately. If the people do well, the land will bloom, too <3. It works the other way around, too. You must be lucky."

...She has a frightful insight. That's exactly how the Harvest Goddess would put it.
    While I'm staring at her in shock, she adds,

"It's so pretty! ...I wonder if the flower really can call special travellers, like Papa said."

With that, she springs off. We'll have to see.

I don't have anything to summon the goddess with, so I can't ask her today, but...There's still the Harvest Sprites; they might know something.

The usual sprite isn't by the entrance to the cave; I need to go deeper. In their little house-cave-area, I find all three of them gathered in intense discussion.

"No, no! We can't do it without the shiny!"
    "We'll do fine. We've waited too long."

Tempers flare.
    "You're too impatient."
    "You'd have us wait forever!"

"....Don't fight..." The third sprite raises his voice over the fighting.

"Stay out of it!" And gets bowled over by the other two.

"What seems to be the trouble?"

"Oh, Fox."
    "He's a human, not a fox.
    "It's not his fault his parents got confused."

I sigh and cover my face with his hand.
    "You made him feel ashamed. Look how he's hiding."

"That...No. It's fine. So, what is it?"
    "We've been wanting to hold a picnic, but we can't do it without the right sort of shiny thing. Well, we can. That's my point, but..."
    "It's not as good."

They're fighting over a picnic? Really?
    "...Why not?"
    "They make good toys. You can do a lot with them, so... It's the best for a picnic or a tea party. You can roll them, and knock them around, and have treasure-hunts and use them to attract birds..."

Shiny...You roll them and knock them around...
    "...Are you talking about marbles?"

"Marbles?"
    "Yeah, like these." I take the marbles out of my bag. They glimmer in the light. "If they're what you're looking for, you can have them."
    The elves crowd around and begin jumping up and down and cheering.

He whips out a gleaming red berry. What, they've had one of those all along?
    Well, I can't complain, since I'm getting it now...

Down the hatch.
    As always, new strength like the sweet taste wells up in me -- it's like being kicked in the soul with a new, seemingly boundless wave of energy.

"Thanks a lot. Well, hope you have a nice picnic."

As I leave, I hear one of them say,
    "See? I told you we needed to wait."
    "Oh, stop. We need to make the tea and invite our guest!"

Guest? ...How odd.

I go through the rest of the day quietly, without real comment. Everything today is flowers and life, the energy bright under the summer sun.

I spend the evening bringing in flowers: row upon row of blooms, tucked away inside the cabinet until there's no room left.
    I give one to Elli before we go to bed.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

15. - Top - End - #615
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey, I thought I did a good job of wording that one! I didn't apologize when I didn't need to at all!

Anyway, the grips of whatever insane exhaustion have lifted enough for me to get this update in. It's not the update I wanted it to be, but such is life sometimes.
    I'm trying to decide if messing with a different project for a while (or at least supplementing) would help me by re-energizing me...Or exhaust me more by giving me more to do. Hm.
    You did a much better job this time, no need to apologize for a delayed chapter due to sickness.
    And whatever you decide, let us know please.

Marbles! Yay!
    Also, on power berries, "It's like being kicked in the soul, with a new, seemingly boundless wave of energy."
    You have a way of putting things that makes me smile. However, wouldn't being kicked in the soul hurt?

16. - Top - End - #616
    Troll in the Playground

Sometimes having boundless waves of energies hurt. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Anyway, right now, I seem to be having a better time of things. Next week will sadly be missed, since I'm staying away from my desktop for a week due to family trips.

Chapter 43: Nature and You!
    Spoiler
    Show

Summer - 3 - xxx2

Elli's in an unusually chipper mood this morning, kissing me when I wake up and saying,

"Not that I disagree, but...What brought this on today, specifically?"
    "You know, I'm not really sure myself. I just looked over...And I felt that it was true. Maybe I've just gotten used to things enough to say that."

She has a point -- it hasn't been very long, but it has been a month... We know what life might just have in store.
    I hug her before I head out the door.

A wonderful life, huh? I guess I've satisfied what my grandfather was asking for.

As I head into the mountain, I feel my spirits buoying up. I go check on the big blue flower. It doesn't need tending anymore, but I do like seeing it. It makes a person happy.

Yeah, it's pretty impressive.

...It's not that impressive, man. Calm down. It's a flower. A flower that leaves you oddly soothed just by its presence, almost releasing happiness into the air...But it's. a. flower.
    Don't jump around due to flowers.

"Hope left?"

Popuri was talking about eerily-accurate descriptions of the magical business at play here.

"For that! For that, most precious of things! For the sign that all is not lost! Hope!"
    ...So. I've been kissed by a goddess and summoned grape spirits with blood. I've given children's toys to elves, and eaten fruit from a kappa. I've turned water into gold and, to the shock of everyone who ever knew me, gotten married.
    And you're the craziest thing I've ever seen.

I head back and try to talk to the elves about this...

But they're busy freaking out about monkeys being back in the area.

So I keep going up, up, up the mountains. The man was pacing outside the restaurant -- it occurs to me that before I came in, I'd never seen him outside before, like he didn't exist until I opened the door.

"I was thinking about your grandfather. It seemed like just yesterday he had a son your age..."

"Wait, wouldn't that be time passing quickly?"
    "Ah, but time passes slowly. Like a cloud of time around us, each day seeming so great, but down there, it all moves by like a blur."
    He heaved a melencholy

"Did you ever meet my dad?"
    "Ah, that...That's the story for another day."

Drat.

On my way down, I start passing out flowers from my field.

"So thanks, Bro! Getting flowers are so nice."
    He smiled cheerfully.

I run all around, but there's not much to say about that.

I finish the day by going to the bar, giving away more blossoms...

"longer...Just until they're ready to take it all over."
    I guess it must be a relief, seeing things finally go right.

And, having heard the talk, headed home to plant some more grass.

Summer - 4 - xxx2

I check the weather.
    "It appears that tommorow, a..."

"Be sure to lock up tight! And bring animals inside!!"

...Well, that's...ominous. I don't think the goddess will protect me this time.

"There's a typhoon coming, right? We better get ready."
    "Yeah, I'll probably bringing in animals all day."

She nods.

"So I can get supplies in case there's a power outage or the like."

A power outage...Typhoons are serious business. I've never experienced one before -- just the word has an ominous energy... Do I need to board up the windows? That's a thing you do for typhoons, right? And...Um...Build a cellar?
    Ok, I don't have time to build a cellar. I don't even know if the ground will *support* a cellar. And you probably can't
    Curses, foiled again by architectural logistics.

...You don't want to know why I was foiled by architectural logistics the first time.

When I leave the house, I see something I never expected.

Harvest Sprites on my lawn.

"Hey, guys. What's happening? Is there some sort of supernatural crisis requiring my vaguely-defined attention?"

"Yeah, it was on the forecast. What about it?"

"Them?" I'm not sure what they mean for a minute.
    "Your animals! It's not safe for you outside, but they'll get sick if you don't feed them, right?"
    I...I didn't even think about that. Typhoons can be a lot of trouble...
    "Thanks. Thank you so much," I say, trying to come to grips with them having solved a problem I did not even anticipate.

They leave the farm in single file, like a tiny marching line.

For the next several hours, I do nothing but put animals in my barn. For most of the cows, it goes quickly, but my sheep are stubborn little buggers.
    They're antsy -- they feel the storm looming. They don't know I've enlisted magical assistance.

When they're all in, I make sure I feed them, just in case. I never know if they've eaten or not and it's a pain.

I wonder if that flower will be OK. I paused and try and figure out why the thought crossed my mind. But still. I wonder if there's something I can do.
    ...Well, if I'm going to be thinking that, I might as well go see, right? Thoughts don't just randomly happen.

On my way up, I spot some of the kids: I guess they've been missing me at school, because May and Kent both have questions.

"With summer, the world's positioned so it's in the sunlight longer."
    "Oh...Are you sure it's not so I can have a later bedtime?"
    "That not the reason, but it might be a consequence. Ask your dad."
    May's is easy...

And Kent's is kind of embaressing.

We...We have not exactly talked about -- I mean, I know it's a goal, but I'm not sure we're in a stable enough position to -- maybe next --

Oh, that's the way it is, huh?
    "Pfff. Kent, let me ask you something: do you know?"

"...married. But to grow, they need your love, too."
    Awww, isn't that cute? BUT IT'S WRONG!

"Kent, this is a serious adult matter, not to be taken lightly...So, honestly, I don't know what our plan is. I think we intend to wait."

He leaned forward and whispered to me:

"...Well, that's... Look, your grandpa knows something about medicine. Ask him."
    Honestly, Kent's version is tidier. I would have been less worried in my party days.

I also want to thank the Harvest Sprites again.
    [color=red]"It's no trouble," the leader tells me, when I explain it. "Typhoons aren't dangerous to us. But..."

So...They're afraid of people, snakes, and squirrells... But not hundred-mile-per-hour winds. Right.

"Or they'll get you."
    "I'll be careful, then."
    I suppose... I mean, I don't need to worry about them.

At last, though, I pry away from socializing to go see the flower.
    Popuri's visiting, too, and so is...

A vivid butterfly,

That's not emerald-colored, I want to say. It's Amethyst, if anything.
    But something about it is too pretty for my usual brand of snarky corrections. The butterfly's wings shimmer as they beat the air, shedding a thin layer of dusty scales into the air of a summer afternoon. Besides, more than emerald or amethyst, it's a jewel-less shimmer in a twilight color, rich in shade as an eggplant, with a lacquer gleam.

It circles the blue flower like a beacon, and I feel something serene and far-away from my typhoon-omen worries seep through me. It seems to me, as the butterfly's wings cross the blue petals in my line of sight, like some sort of purple moon, circling the oceans of a blue world, like ours.

"...Yeah, you're right."

She looks as awed by it as I am, a nearly divine smile on her face -- she's always struck me, in moments like this, as a little bit supernatural and otherworldly, maybe more so than some magic things. I wonder if the strangeness of those thoughts is that the Goddess wanted me -- and her, too, why not -- to see this moment, our efforts, before they are snatched away by gale winds.

"Is it a sign, of how much things have changed?" She asks, her voice almost sing-song. "Or is it an omen...Things will change again, more brillaint and beautiful than before?"
    She lifts her eyes to the horizon, the butterfly circling somewhere in the middle of her line of sight.

And then he charges in like a rhino and kills the mood.

He is way too excited...But I'm not sure I can blame him.

"The color is purple," I mutter, that peaceful feeling dissolving. Also, wasn't he looking for a blue -- an azure -- butterfly?
    Is everyone here colorblind?
    ...Am I?

No. No. The grass, which is green, is a clearly different color than this.

At least it's not the creepy cameraman. Popuri eyes the net he has and comments,
    "Alright, but this is precious, so that's all you'll take."
    Her words, delivered in the soft pink cloud of her voice, are an unescapable order.

The flash startled the butterfly, which moves further and further away in an aimless, but certain, drift.

...Probably, so will I.

I head back down and decide to go fish by the ocean...

And discover I've walked in on an intimate moment, Kai and Karen standing, watching the waves together. I remember when she'd watch them alone like this.
    The two of them seem cozy, and she rests her head on his shoulder, but jerks it up when she hears my footsteps. She looks embaressed.

"Taking a break?"
    They nod, looking sheepish. They look so shy, for a married couple, that I can't help but laugh.

"Sounds nice. Well, I'll...leave you be...I forgot my fishing rod, anyway."
    That's not even an excuse. I really did.

I try and do a little fishing, but everything's been scared by the storm.

I bring the dog in so the storm won't hurt him -- Agro, though...Agro just has to shelter in the stable. There's sadly nothing more I can do.

Summer - 5 - xxx2

Outside, the wind pounds, and the rain fills the air with dulling white noise, broken only by the shaking of the trees. The storm started probably sometime before dawn, but it's a little hard to place. Time seems to stand still -- for the most part, we're

TV's out, but we still have lights, anyway. For now.
    The dog's not scared -- I guess ...

But Elli's been peering anxiously out the window, then pacing back behind the bed. She looks uneasy.

"Something wrong?"

"Of the storm?"
    "Don't laugh," I was not. "It's just...Listen to that. We could all be blown away. A tree could fall. The greenhouse could explode into a shower of glass...Nature is vast and uncontrollable. I know it's silly, but..."
    "It's not silly when you put it like that." That glass-shard one was pretty formidable. I wrap my arm around her. "But, hey. We're at least together. In light of that...I think we'll be OK."

We went to bed...But I can't say that, it being so early and all, we really were sleeping right away.

Summer - 6 - xxx2

The next morning, it had passed. The storm knocked everything around, and now the remainder celebrated openly.

"Thanks."

Now to go look out over the farm.

It looks like all the extensions are alright. And Agro's doing just fine, too.

I don't feel like spending all day bringing them outside again. Maybe tommorow.

Oh, this must be from that entymologist...

The camera man? The bug-man is the camera man? I thought the camera man was the camera man!
    Everything I know is wrong! I need to re-evaluate everything!

And...Oh no.
    My nemesis was so close. I could have yelled at him to his face, frequently, for like a month. I must find him again.

...After I look at this picture.

My worst angle.

I head up into the mountains to find him...

But only find the flower. Well, at least that's there.

I head into town and make a quick circle through, just talking to people. There's a lot of people I haven't spoken to recently, or much at all.

Like the midwife. Why is everyone suddenly on us about having kids?

After that, I wander through my fields, checking for damages. The grass is fine, but the flowers were torn up...
    While I'm thinking of possible improvements, I'd like to try and have a less rocky fence. More like a normal fence, you know?

So I run and get a bit of lumber, that I could start working on that eventually.

Summer - 7 - xxx2

"It looks like it'll be a nice day for that." The sun, now fully recovered from the clouds in the wake of the typhoon, is shining brightly. It looks like a good day to hang around in the warmth.

Holmes is up to medium milk now, which makes me decide this is a good day for bringing them all back out.

THEY CONVERGE.

But they all go out easily with a bit of herding, and it's not long until they're all in their places.

I head out and buy some chicken feed, since I'm running low.

The rest of the day passes quietly.

I log a bit on a quick mountain trip...
    And find Elli waiting for me at home, in the evening.

"The 'Bamboo Float.'"
    "Bamboo float?" I thought, having been here for a year, I'd have seen all the festivals.
    "It's...sort of a tradition for families around here. You take a bamboo boat and float it downriver. You make a wish, and that..."

"And it's tonight?"
    "It's just a night in summer, when it seems like the right night; like I said, it's not a formal event. It's...just the two of us, tonight."
    She said with a smiler warmer than the summer sunset.

"Well, let's go, then."
    If she says it's right with a look like that, how can I argue?

When we get to the water's edge, walking hand in hand in the blossoming twilight, she pulls a cut of bamboo from her bag. True to the expectation, it's boat-shaped, split in half.

"...Happiness. As a family."
    I say, after giving up on saying something that didn't sound silly or sappy or trite. At this, she leans into my shoulder and smiles. I know what she means by that.

I set the boat into the cool water...

And we watch the current take it somewhere far away. It hits a rough spot by the bridge, but in the end, it pulls through, and falls away from sight.

I'm reminded of being a kid and doing this, for no stakes at all -- no wishes hanging on it, and the expectation of a million failures to that lone stick making its way through the river that ran through the city, a park built around some of the prettier banks.

"What about you?"

She blushes and laughs into her hand.
    "If I told you, it wouldn't come true!"
    "Oh, but I told you?"
    "That's your loss, honey."

She said with a bright smile. We laugh as she puts her boat into the water, and, like mine, it drifts away into the night. Good luck, boats full of un-stated wishes.
    We walk home quietly in the dark, thinking of dreams unspoken.

It's been a while, huh? Typo Report!
    Spoiler
    Show

Her daily going to bed dialogue has a confusing sentence typo in there.
    ...Speaking of which, does it seem weird that Elli suddenly went into a new layer of dialogue, for no apparent reason? Even though we should have seen some of this by now? Well, that's because of the timing of things. You see, up until the start of this chapter, she was still using her "mourning and recovery" dialogue. Or so I assume. Something like that. Then, all of the sudden, all the dialogue she'd been keeping in reserve, like the just-married dialogue, suddenly decided IT WAS TIME.
    Really odd, but I am relieved it finally happened.

There was another typo I wanted to report, I think, but I can't recall it.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-09-23 at 11:08 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

17. - Top - End - #617
    Dwarf in the Playground

From insane exhaustion to boundless waves of energy, I would say that is a good move.

Excellent update, as always.
    All hail the LP goddess!

Although, in the screen where Fox is buying chicken feed, he has exactly 89000G, that bothers me for some reason.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

A nice update. How much weather manipulation have you been doing to avoid typhoon so far?

19. - Top - End - #619
    Troll in the Playground

None, actually. Now, ask me about how many resets it took for us to not lose our greenhouse!
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

20. - Top - End - #620
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'll let someone else bite.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll bite, how many?

I never lost a greenhouse due to typhoons, I always thought the invincible katamori protected me, but know I know better.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

I never lost it as a kid (and likewise, believed what I heard about that lying piece of furnishing), but this time it took about 4 resets. I almost considered leaving it, but... I didn't feel like reworking lots of field space for crops while I saved to repair it. Maybe if another typhoon comes, I'll let it be.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

23. - Top - End - #623
    Troll in the Playground

Well, after a week's vacation and some illness, here we are with a brand new chapter!

Chapter 54: Food!
    Spoiler
    Show

Summer - 8 - xxx2

"Hey there, Basil."

There's something about being shouted at the moment you leave the house.
    It gets old pretty fast.

"Is tommorow?"

"Yeah, it's that time of year."
    He nods.
    "I can't wait to see what you enter now that you've gotten established."
    "Alright, then prepare to be amazed!"

I say that... But what should I enter?

I wave idly, pick my crops...
    And take a look at my options.

Well, I'm not hurting for choice. I think I'll be able to pull something out.

I have my usual mountaintop lunch...I don't think I'd be able to get away from it, honestly.
    "It's so nice having a customer around..."
    I haven't payed you for days, lady...
    "It's been so long since we had visitors. No one's eaten here since the bridge went out."

"That's weird. Because I know people who went up here, bridge or no bridge. You think they would have seen the place."
    The woman pauses and looks at me for a moment. Her eyes are unusually clear and focused, and it seems to me that she's judging some part of my soul.

Then she laughs, softly. Her chuckle is dried and lingers in the air.
    "Who's to say?"
    She said.

I spend the afternoon running around town and mountain, talking to people who don't have much of real interest to say.

...But I do make it home in time for dinner.
    "This is pretty good; I've got to hand it to you."
    Of course, before we got married, my dinner tended towards 'nothing' for a year. I don't tell her that, but... I kind of suspect she knew.

"Anyway, I can't fault the ingredients."
    "Of course not."
    "Though, of course, the reason it's so tricky is that I know you'd go whole days on nothing but herbs and rice otherwise."
    Ah, yep. She knew.
    "I didn't have any money!"

I try doing some fishing with my evening... But no dice.

"Good luck in the contest tommorow."

Summer - 9 - xxx2

Well, it's festival day. When I've done all my chores...

I make my call. Let's go...STRAWBERRIES!
    These hothouse beauties will surely handle it; I had a lot of practice.

I grab them and head out.

Actually, they're a berry, which most people treat as a fruit.
    But who's going to fuss?

"Vegetables."

...Isn't that a conflict of interest?
    ...No one's going to fuss over that, either, are they?

There's really not much going on there, though; it's the same as last year, pretty much. I'm a little dissapointed...
    But it's still nice to go around tasting everything.

WOO-HOO! Nailed it!

I try not to succumb to the impulse of leaping in the air and clicking my heels.

I should not tell them they've been in my super-fridge for two months. Still, how's that for skill?

...AUGH, MAKE IT STOP.

MAKE HIM STOP, MR MAYOR!

Sleep and forget...
    "Honey, it's just the creepy gourmet. You can stop shaking and celebrate."
    "Never!"

Summer - 10 - xxx2

Holmes is giving large milk today...That sunlight's done them all some good.

And it seems Sheep's matured and is ready for the big city. -- Looks like all my babies are growing up!

Well, except Miruku. That one'll still take a while. Good. Unmanly sniffling prevented!

Mail today gives me a slight feeling of deja vu... Still, no matter how hot the pasture is, they seem to really enjoy it.

The day passes quietly. I socialize...

And then realize as night falls around me that I've broken 100k. 101 thousand G. That...That's an accomplishment, right there.

Dad was always worried about money -- well, sort of. Dad wanted me to do well in his business. He wanted me to be another him, basically - a successful businessman.
    Seeing me making lots of money on my own, the way I choose... I bet he's going to be so steamed. I bet he's going to be furious.
    ...I wonder if 100k is enough?

My total fishing failure? Not an accomplishment.
    *sigh*
    Well, tommorow's another day.

Basil, it's 10 PM. What are you doing on my lawn at this hour?

Oh, you heard about the part where I am doing just fine on my own, and will delightedly rub it in my dad's face when he comes back?

"Oh, you mean about the vegetables."
    Like a love confession, that sort of sentence...Doesn't mean anything if it's not coming from the right person.
    Well, there is no 'right person,' anyway. I don't care about his expectations.

"I'm in!"

Yeah, let's just drink away those worries!

"Sounds like my kind of party."
    Well, close enough!

It was a really great evening. There's nothing to make you forget overwhelming father-figures than drinking.

Summer - 11 - xxx2

I woke up late, due to perhaps a small hangover. It's been a while, actually... Elli was already out running sunday errands.

I don't see her until I'm in the mountains -- she's enjoying the riverside, not fishing today so much as taking a break by the water.
    "Hey there."
    "Oh! I...I thought it would be best to let you sleep in this once. Is that OK?"
    "It's fine."
    She looks out over the river.
    "It's funny... I got worried because we didn't wake up together, but...Just a month ago, a meeting like this would be the only time we saw one another... A lot's changed since then."
    "Yeah, it has."

"Don't let worrying about things around the house stop you, alright?" She's silent, so I continue. "I'm serious. Even if you think it's important, it's no good abandoning things that matter to you, OK? The things that matter to you are the things that make you the 'you' that matters to me."
    Never has a less eloquent sentence
    "Alright, alright... Maybe I'll just make cakes small enough for two people."
    "Or pass the rest out as presents or something." If she's like this, pointing out she can go back to work if she wants feels...Kind of worthless. She knows that, but isn't going to say it.

Well, I leave her to her errands. I spotted Kent spying on us, and wanted to have a word, but he has his word first.

I guess that's a way of putting it; I'm not sure how long 'newlyweds' lasts, but nod, anyway.
    "Grandpa said he's still surprised you leave the house!"
    It is sorely tempting.
    "...Ok, so I guess that still counts, then."
    "What's that supposed to mean?"
    "...Ask your grandpa, kid."
    Nothing worse than being cornered by a child.
    Nothing.

I notice May off to the side by herself.
    "Hey, May. Why aren't you playing with Kent or stu or someone?"
    "...No reason."
    "You aren't lonely?"

...That was not what I meant, but it's a good thing she's so honest about her priorities. I kind of envy her that certainty, or the rock to cling to her grandmother can be, in the face of a working father whose hours keep him distant, and a mother who, to her, is literally distant -- but it's only a metaphor she can't untangle.
    "Well, alright, then. Have fun."

In the evening, I work on trying to replace my stone fencing with wood. With the animals running around, it's...Kinda risky, since I don't want my hammer to hit them.

Summer - 12 - xxx2

Welp, the contents of my day just became clear.

My great labor... BEGINS.

Most of them are caught in the initial swarm.
    To my surprise, it only takes just until about noon to get them all in.

I go through my day, but it's very quiet...My rucksack's empty by the afternoon, and it seems like there's nothing to do today but fish.

I fish for hours. Just whittling away time...
    Catching nothing. All my good fishing mojo's gone!

Well, at least I can go home and eat dinner Elli cooked for me.
    "It makes my day worth the effort," I reply, feeling a little embaressed.

I head outside to continue my work on the pasture. Break a rock, put in a fencepost.
    Break a rock, put in a fencepost.
    Break a rock...

Have my hammer erupt in golden light and sparks, the heat of the transformation searing into my fingertips through my gloves. When the light fades, the hammer is still gleaming gold -- of course, this isn't unexpected, marking the point in my life I am officially way too used to this magic stuff -- and it's lighter than before.
    Of course, there's nothing I can use it on but these rocks in my field...right? So it's not very useful. But at the same time...
    It still feels warm, and I feel accomplished to have been rewarded, seemingly at random, for my work.

LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

24. - Top - End - #624
    Dwarf in the Playground

I never lost it as a kid (and likewise, believed what I heard about that lying piece of furnishing), but this time it took about 4 resets. I almost considered leaving it, but... I didn't feel like reworking lots of field space for crops while I saved to repair it. Maybe if another typhoon comes, I'll let it be.

Isn't there some strange game mechanic for typhoons where the outcome is already set a day ahead, so you have to replay like two days to reset it? Or is that just for the outcome of festivals?

25. - Top - End - #625
    Troll in the Playground

Well, the weather for the next day (the weather that appears on the forecast) is set *before* the save point picks up when you reload... But someone using save-states can manipulate the weather easily, because it's not set the day before the forecast you see.

However, whether a hurricane takes out your greenhouse seems to be set when you go to bed during the hurricane -- at least, according to my tests.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

26. - Top - End - #626
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Random factoid, strawberries aren't actually berries. They're accessory fruits.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Troll in the Playground

I stand corrected.
    ...Our plant labeling system is totally nonsensical, isn't it?
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

28. - Top - End - #628
    Dwarf in the Playground

...Our plant labeling system is totally nonsensical, isn't it?
    Yes, very much so.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Concur.

Extra characters.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Troll in the Playground

Update will be slightly delayed due to two things:
    #1, Birthday celebrations that took up all my worktime yesterday, so I'm starting late.
    #2, Total mood failure due to my laptop breaking this morning.

In the meanwhile, have A silly pokemon thing I'm doing that ensures I won't be done with this game until January at the earliest.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)