New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

Strange, I could have sworn I'd seen it. It's as if you somehow managed to go back into the past and change it right from under me. This requires further investigation.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, this is a good format for the content now - honestly, if you hadn't been talking about it, I don't think I'd have even noticed a change. Good work as always!

3. - Top - End - #663
    Troll in the Playground

Here's a little mini-chapter! I'll be doing the weekend chapter as normal, but this is just what I was playing during the week, and thought it might be nice to get an extra update in.

Chapter 60: A Bountiful Year

Spoiler
    Show

The days move quickly, with little but thoughts of the future, and mulling over the past.

Well, at least Cliff shares some of my concerns. I'm hoping to be a bit stronger-willed about them, though.
    "It'll work out; besides, I think you'll be a good dad," I try and
    "Yeah, you're right, I just...I feel like the stakes on everything I do just get higher and higher."
    Man, that right there is some mighty paranoia. I don't say that out loud, though.

I'm going to practice by hanging around the kids more: I'm pretty good with them, so maybe I'll be OK with mine when he/she hits the point where he/she can remember?

Today, I'm listening to May's hobbies.

It was soon time for the harvest to begin at the Vineyard; everyone was busy, so I don't think I'll have reason to come around anytime soon.

And that evening... I dug up something while repairing the weeds of the field. It was a power berry, somehow unspoiled and undamaged despite having been buried for...Ages, really. Maybe forever.

I brush off some dirt and take a big bite -- it's still juicy and tasty, though I think I really should have washed it first. Eck. But it still made me feel stronger.

I've even marked it on the little Power Berry Tree in my kitchen.

Elli and I have been talking plans -- names (If it's a girl, she wants her called Ellen, but if it's a boy, she'll leave the name to me. Fair's fair.) and things like house and school -- do we want to move somewhere with a real school? We'll need to add another room to the house eventually, how will we manage that (My idea: we add it to the top, breaking the current roof, and while we're roofless we ask the Greens to watch the animals and greenhouse, and we all go on a nice vacation. Elli was perhaps less enthused about the idea, but come on!)
    "Of course," I say, "This is all contingent on my Dad. He might decide it's not enough." Why did I even make that deal?
    ...But I'd have never been here, otherwise.
    "He will. Don't worry, he will. You've done your best -- certainly, better than anyone expected."
    "You don't know my dad. Anything less than perfect is disapointing; it's first place or nothing... And there's no 'first place' here. So there's no way of knowing if it's good enough."
    "...I know you, Fox. We'll be alright."
    "...Thanks."

I believe her. I just also think no amount of faith in me is equal to the lack of faith my dad has.

Something about it, though, seems to have put her at ease. It might just be pregnancy hormones, but she's been very contented, in a sort of giggly, bubbly way lately...

Of course, she says that when I try bringing it up.

"And when it just wakes up. It's amazing."
    With that gentle smile lighting up her face, she takes my hand and brings it
    "Feel that?"

I nod. Something nudges my hand through her body, a gentle stirring. But it's something, warm and living and putting a gentle pressure back on my hand. That feeling is my child.
    "You be good now, Ok?" I whisper. My voice is halting and rough.

I blink away the mist from my eyes as I step into the sun.

It's already that time of year again, huh? Elli's going to be busy the rest of the day, but I'm happy to see she's so enthusiastic -- I mean, I feel in a lot of ways, she stopped her life for me. But maybe that's just a city boy's sentiments.

It's been a while since I've bought chicken feed, because Elli's helping out so much. Still, now's as a good a time as any to refuel.

Anyway, the next day was Fall 12th, and so it was time for the Harvest Festival. This has been... A dang profitable year for me, that's for sure. I've had a lot of harvests.
    It's been that way for everyone, on a metaphorical level: there's a lot to talk about.

I approve heartily of this plan.

"Even you? You don't like fish?"
    "I hate it...But if he does it, it's OK."

we've got a bunch of new families, for one. Adjusting to the fact that your wife has to practice...Whatever she cooked... for several weeks before she gets it right, leaving you living on salad...

And your wife completely not picking up your signals.

Does everyone who knew her growing up calls her that? Still, I try it, and it's very good.
    "You're a good cook, Maria."
    "Thank you, Fox."

"I'm sure he does. He's just...Grey... about it."
    "I think you're right; it'd just be nice to hear something, once in a while...Oh, I know! I'll ask!"
    "That sounds like a plan."

Eventually, Elli comes out with the cake.

"But it'd be bizzare if you got it twice -- it's better off without, don't you think?"
    "Yeah, I think so. Still, I get to have some of your cake, so who's complaining?"

I wonder who'll be the next king? Well, I still have my duties left.

Ah, Jeff. Good for him, since he's kind of lonely, I think.

"Choose your partners!"

"We'll need to take it easy for now," I say as I offer my wife my hand.
    "I suppose so."

But the local dances are light and easy, so in the end, it doesn't happer us. In terms of sheer dancing, it's not the best dance I've ever had... But the warmth in her touch, her steps, her eyes, the flare of her skirt as she turns...

That can't be replaced by technical proficiency -- I suppose that, in an odd way, it can be learned.

After all... Until I came here, I don't think I knew how to love. The people here, and Elli most of all, taught that to me.

Here's hoping for another bountiful year.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I love reading this story. It keeps getting better and better. Thank you, Deme.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Troll in the Playground

Eldonauran, I hadn't seen your comment until I went to post this. And it just made my morning.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, everyone!

Chapter 61: Another Trip Around the Sun
    Spoiler
    Show

I've been spending a bit of extra time with the Harvest Sprites, since it's been a while since I got the chance.
    I wonder if my kid'll spot them... It'd get kind of bizzare if he/she didn't, wouldn't it? I try not to worry about that. I try.
    "How do you guys live without anyone noticing things are...odd?"

"And catch fish. Most people don't notice fruits or berries going missing. But... If people in this town notice odd things, they're just used to them. We've always been here, even longer than them..."
    Huh. I wonder what this place was like before people lived her... For the Harvest Sprites, I doubt anything has really changed. They've probably lived just like this, comfortably, without any real changes...

But when I bring that idea up, the sprite I'm talking to says,
    "It's more noisy now! We like it. It's fun to watch people, even from a distance... And now that you're here, everything's much more fun."
    "Well, glad to assist."
    "Yup! Sometimes it just takes a nudge... You were nudged, too, so it's fair!"
    I laugh. Sometimes I feel like I was pushed. But then sometimes I feel like I leapt. I guess it's fair, in the balance.

I notice that night that I crossed 200,000 G. That's not a bad set of savings, all told.

While I'm out cutting grass in the evenings, trying to store fodder for winter -- all the grass will go dormant anyway -- on one swing, the sunset hits the blade of my sickle and dances along it, searing with silver sparkles that leap across it. It's not a trick of the light, I realize only as the heat and light jumps down the handle.

Rather, it's the odd magic of my grandfather's tools at work. Now I can cut a 3-wide line in front of me, which'll speed things nicely.

Popuri seems a bit more resassured about Grey's feelings than she was at the festival -- maybe even if she didn't ask, he delivered.

"I don't think Ann would call it 'spoiling.' She seems kind of annoyed."
    "That's true -- but, you know, I think she really does like being watched out for."
    I pause, consider Ann, and nod.

"Everybody?"
    "Everybody... But kindness takes many forms, so it's often difficult to recognize...And it isn't always received as kind."

In that way, it's already the 17th -- and it's going to be a rainy day tommorow. There go my plans.

"Ughh..." I have to bring them all in.
    "Ooh, that always takes you a while... Will you putting them out again after it clears?"
    "I don't think so... It's a lot of work, and it's getting colder everyday. Elli --"
    "You be sure to keep warm. Double-socks."
    I sigh.
    "That was my line...Though...Not about the socks thing."
    "Well, I'm not outside all day... But my Grandma would swear by double socks."
    "Well, alright. Double-socks for me, and a sweater for you."
    "Did your family have any traditions.
    "It was easy to stay warm in the city... But Dad would insist on a dress-code, and in the winter, that included a scarf or something."
    I reflect on that, just a little bit sadly. While this dress code also talked about the state of my shoes...That scarf may have been, as the pastor said, my dad's attempt at kindness. Even if it was just for appearances, his son wasn't going to be unprepared for cold.
    "...I'd take off the scarf the moment I was out of sight."
    "...You two." Elli shakes her head.

It's early afternoon by the time everyone comes in. Still, they're in with enough time to go buy seeds.

The next day is cold and rainy, a fact which escapes no one's attention. It's almost all you can think about -- the falling of the rain.

"Yeah, it took me forever yesterday...But yeah."

But the rainy day passes...

And it's Fall 19th, so there's a festival tommorow.

The festival's the topic for conversation, too.

[b]"So everyone's looking forward to it."

"I'm surprised -- you don't ever attend, so..."
    "I'm just reporting the mood. Fishing opens people up, so I hear a lot of news. Me? I just fish, and that's all the diversion I want."
    ...Of course it is.

"...Well, I could give you some eggs, and you could hide and find them like that."
    I know it is not the same, but...
    "Really? Really, really? A Harvest Sprite festival?"
    "Yeah! Everyone'll be in the village, so you'll have all of everywhere else to hunt."
    "Wooh! A festival, a festival <3"

Awww, lookit that adorable little happiness. I've got some eggs, so I pass them out to the sprites.

Today, I feel like a good person.

And for the first time in a long time, worked until I nearly dropped. The grass is practically all mowed, though.

Elli says, kissing me on the forehead when I come in to take a bit of break. I guess it showed in my face a bit much. Well, I've got the special joy that is a hot bath to make life better.

Sheep escaped the barn the next morning. Silly Sheep, It's a festival today!

Well, I get there eventually.

I find the first one alright, but the second...

Times out before I can check the last box! I could have torn my hair out in frustration!
    ...Although, honestly, I handled the rest of them well. It was just that one.

I still win, so I guess that's what matters.
    I mean, I still had fun. Yeah. That's what I meant...

What's mysterious about it, exactly? Ultimate arcane power? I guess I'll see.

"That's not mysterious at all."
    "But it is cute."
    "Yeah, but they don't call it a cute turtle figurine."

When I check my supplies of fodder...

It seems that my cutting grass has given me enough fodder to very nearly last me until Springtime. That's nice.

Elli seems to have fully calmed down about worrying over the baby: now, she's only looking forward to it.

"Anymore."
    She deflates slightly.
    "...Well, yeah. I guess now the shock's worn off. This is real...And...Honestly, it's everything I ever really wanted."
    "Well, glad I could help." She sees I'm being snarky.
    "You're quite welcome. I'm glad you could assist."
    But maybe she knows that I'm still not sure about what'll happen -- she grabs my hand and squeezes, willing some sort of reassurance into me. And I know, since it's her kid, it'll be OK.
    ...I always used live day-by-day. It wasn't really until this farm, and meeting Elli, that I started thinking about what I really want. So...
    All I can say is I want things to go well.

Speaking of which, I raised the topic about whether or not my kid would be able to see the Harvest Sprites today; they appeared to give it a lot of thought, and eventually answered,
    "We don't know."

"...Even when he spoke with the goddess, Mr. Luke couldn't."
    So there's a difference... I'm still not sure what that means, though.
    "The goddess was stronger, then... We don't know what sort of...Affinity... he'd have."
    That sounds like it'd get uncomfortable. And... I'd certainly like my kid to have the sort of help I've had.
    "Is there anything I can do about it?"
    "Nope! There are some things that are just up to a person!"

...I'm not happy with that, but there's nothing I can do.

Sheep thinks he can go to the big city. No. Stop.

Significant news! I learned where the fisherguy goes!

"For Spring."
    There's still river and winter fishing...But I guess it'd be no fun living in a tent, huh?
    A discovery for the record books, that.

He's not the only one thinking about plans for winter. I've got my grass, and it's warmer with Elli around, so we'll be just fine.

"Nuts, and make jams so we'll have lots of food."
    I figured they went south, or hibernated, but maybe they just dislike being out around the mines.

Anyway, like that, I barely noticed it when my birthday, Fall 25th, came. I almost half-expected a letter or something from Dad...But I guess our last conversation ended on too
    Well, I didn't want a letter anyway. I don't want to talk to him. I hate that
    This town don't make a big deal about birthdays, so no one really comments on mine. I guess they figure it's Elli's concern, and my own. Fair enough... I do sort of miss going out and having an impromptu birthday party, when my dad failed, as usual. With blackjack. And drinking.

But then, around dinner, I walked into the kitchen...

And saw an absolutely stunning spread. A four-course meal for two, family-style.

Was...Was she trying to fake me out? I'm not nearly complacant enough to forget our anniversary, and her birthday just passed.
    "It's my birthday, silly."

"Don't tell me you forgot."
    "That's my line!"

"Starting with the cake -- you're terrible!"
    "Then why'd you put it first? Besides... Your cake is the best part, so I should have it when I enjoy it most."
    She rolls her eyes.
    "Silly man."

The dinner was delicious -- I mostly saved the salad for Elli.
    "You know, actually... It's been a long time since I've had a family dinner for my birthday."
    "You poor deprived thing. Well... I'm glad that I can fix that, anyway..."
    She smiled at this, perhaps a little sadly. Her mothering instinct is just straining not to leap across the table and snuggle me like a poor deprived child who needs a replacement for all the lost love in the world, isn't it? ... Sometimes, that sort of thing's kind of much.

"Grandma and I used to have dinners like this for pretty much every special occaison. Even when it was just the two of us..."
    I reach out and touch her hand, because her voice was just too wistful for me to hold back.

...I guess that sense isn't entirely unreturned, or unequal. I feel better for it.

We finish the rest of the dinner warmly.

"That was a great dinner," I tell her over the dishes.

When we were done, we headed off to bed together -- a man deserves an early night in with his wife on his birthday, right?

So, we're covering a lot of ground, and that means I'm not 100% sure where the next chapter's end will leave us, so...
    I'm going to open up our next, and penultimate, vote.

What Are We Going to Name Our Child?
    The child we have is always a boy, so there's really no need to worry about that. The baby will be born in the middle of winter, according to my calender of estimates. So, in the next chapter, or the one after.

Edit: Embarrassingly, I think I missed an event on Fall 9th. I do not have a save state where I can access it. It's an event that, like the bamboo float, I've never heard of -- I only found out about it because I was looking over an event guide. I've never even seen rumors of it. Guess you'll have to play it and see it yourself.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-12-29 at 10:14 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

6. - Top - End - #666
    Troll in the Playground

:I WELL I SURE NEED TO CATCH UP ON THIS.

But, quick child-naming vote...well, we've got Elli, and we've got Fox. So a boy by those two should be...hmm....

Well, if he had Red hair, I'd suggest naming him Red, but I don't think that'll happen....

I guess I'll suggest...Ringo.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

7. - Top - End - #667
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    I notice that night that I crossed 200,000 G.
    Seeing as how the Gs in this game seem to hold a value approximate to Yen, that means that Fox has about $2,000 to his name. Very impressive! Edit: /sarc

And, no opinion on the kid's name.
    Last edited by fizzmaister; 2013-12-29 at 07:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fizzmaister View Post
    Seeing as how the Gs in this game seem to hold a value approximate to Yen, that means that Fox has about $2,000 to his name. Very impressive!

And, no opinion on the kid's name.
    It's much more impressive when you imagine Gs as dollars, and just pretend that the whole town is grossly overcharging fox for everything, and he just succeeds anyway.

As for names... did we ever find out Fox's grandfather's name? Or Elli's grandma? Naming after family in a whole circle of life type deal would make sense given the story.

If not, pick a random animal name. Fox got by well enough with the name Fox, I could see his kid being named something relatively silly like Boar and getting away with it.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

9. - Top - End - #669
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Yes, that was supposed to be sarcasm. Fox is dirt poor. Although he does have a lot of dirt, so I guess there's that.

Elli's Grandmother is Ellen. The way that Deme is describing her relationship with Fox's grandfather (and common fan speculation), it's pretty obvious that she's the same Ellen from the original Harvest Moon. Fox's grandfather was probably the protagonist of that game, and they had some relationship, but it didn't work out.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Troll in the Playground

While I agree Gs are more like Yen then like Dollars, so it's not very impressive in that light, it's worth noticing how small Fox's operating and living expenses are -- and that some of the numbers make sense reading Gs as yen, but the cost of anything outside of seed bags and food & drink doesn't seem to match up at all.
    There is literally nothing Fox has or could want that his money won't be able to get him without him so much as blinking over it. He could probably build an entire second house on top of his first house, if he had the lumber, if one looks at the extension costs.
    While it's hardly fancy, it doesn't seem slight in that light.

Like the question of exactly when Harvest Moon games take place, how much their money is really worth seems to be some vague, nebulous concept.
    Given the scope of things that we see, I'm willing to call it a meaningful step downward from the sort of money he could have made in the job his father wanted for him, but very successful relative to the people here, and comfortable enough over-all. It's best just to shrug.

....Also, actually, the game implies that "This is the town from the original Harvest Moon, 2 generations later" all over the place. It's never quite explicit, but repeated all over the place in the game. Rick, Grey, and Ann had a presumably red-headed grandmother who was an inventor and whose work sometimes went awry? She had a weather vane? Gosh, that sounds like someone. Cliff and Karen's grandmother was a blonde alchohol-maker, who had a grandfather who was a hunter? I'm getting deja vu. Popuri's inevitably pink-haired grandmother's dream was to live surrounded by -- You get the idea, right?.
    I could go on like this for some time, but I think my point is made. I've just sort of building on that, and where no one in the game acknowledges you as a cousin despite of the fact that you'd have to be, if any married ending of the SNES Harvest Moon was canon.
    I've never given Fox's grandfather a name, but it's probably Pete. Fox's father is named Luke, and it's come up once or twice, for anyone keeping track. It's mostly said by people who feel Fox is very much his father's son.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-12-29 at 11:23 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote we name the kid Ashley. That way He/She can be the very best; like no one ever was.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

12. - Top - End - #672
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    I vote we name the kid Ashley. That way He/She can be the very best; like no one ever was.
    If you're going that route, name the boy Sue.

Then the cycle can repeat, with Sue growing up hating Fox.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

Ashley at least can be a boys name name. Although that is more in the Southern USA. Although I do like the Johnny Cash reference.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

14. - Top - End - #674
    Dwarf in the Playground

I vote Soren.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -A.C. Clarke

15. - Top - End - #675
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've never given Fox's grandfather a name, but it's probably Pete. Fox's father is named Luke, and it's come up once or twice, for anyone keeping track. It's mostly said by people who feel Fox is very much his father's son.
    I vote Pete.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 62: The Quiet of Falling Snow
    Spoiler
    Show

It's The 26th, a perfectly ordinary day. I'm looking at medicine at the potion shop, and the old potion dealer, who's been watching me quietly all this time, says:
    "Have you told him about this? Your father, I mean."
    "Phht. He barely even listened to me about the wedding. Didn't even show up." Because I told him not to come. But ignoring that.
    "...I suppose I'll need to, before Summer. Anyway, I don't see why it's any of your business."
    "Do you know why I told you that story, about your father?"
    I turn my head and glare at him. This is going to be a moral, isn't it?
    "Beeeecause I said something cooincidental?"
    "Yes... But... Because there's difficult things to understand about people, when you're young."

"But I'm sure, absolutely...That he wanted you to be happy."
    "He wanted me to be his clone," I argue sourly. I leave the store without buying anything, not in the mood for unsolicited advice, but... You know...
    Maybe I want it to be true. Just a little.

That lingers in my head, just circling my brain, for the next few days. I mean, all I have is the Potion Master's opinion even that he cared, and that's the only thing he's got going for him, arguingly. And if he did, what then? Do I just forgive him for never letting me know? For trying to own my life? 'Oh, you meant well, no biggy, Dad, let's have a family hug?' Don't make me laugh.

I'm still thinking about it when Mr. Green comes by the next day, because it's the races tomorrow.

I just sort of nod and grumble and agree to let him take Agro with him tommorow. I may as well race -- that's the deal, right?

And I guess the Harvest Sprites notice I'm looking pensive, since they start offering me lists of things they enjoy doing.

...Actually a nap does sound kinda nice.

Oh, and it seems harvest time is over at the vineyard, so I may stop by there from time to time, too.

Anyway, the next day, The 28th gives me a moment of pause, and that moment of pause is:

How much I miss Agro. Come home baby. Come home!
    Walking around the farm sucks.

As per our usual agreement, the Mayor's wife and I are just sort of breaking the system. For giggles, I think -- I get the vibe she's bored sometimes. Not in grand, existential ways... But bored enough that we'll talk about the horse races, and she'll let me keep my winnings as if I'd put money for them.

Aww, man, and I was just about to buy a snack.

I'm really hoping it's not the obvious winner; that's always boring.

....But I did bet on him, boring or no.

Anyway, there's nothing really to comment on in terms of mingling, so it was just a matter of waiting for my race. Which was the next one, so that was easy.

I let Agro set his own pace for a while, only encouraging him onward every once and a while. That way, we're able to keep up a good speed -- sometimes in the front, sometimes in second or so.

Towards the end, when he's starting to tire, I encourage it -- go all the way! Let no one pull ahead! Now, or we'll never get another chance.

The white line's a blur behind us when the other horses cross.

"And second place Star. C!"

Yaaay! Who's the bestest horse? You are, Agro. Yeah, you are.

"Ah, nothing like the wine of champions!" I could use a good drink, that was pretty tense.

"Wait, who are you? I need to know!"
    "...I'm just a photographer."

It's difficult to ask a guy 'are you stalking me' while he is taking your picture.
    Oh, well.

Anyway, I have 5:1 odds? That's... That's kind of a vote of no-confidence, for having won other races.

Elli hugs me when I get back, and I bask in the praise. Nothing wipes troubles from your mind like a nice festival, right?

And the unilateral praise helps, too.

And there's at least someone who bet on me.

Unlike SOME PEOPLE. RICK.

And I place my bet.

And get some cotton candies, some for Elli and I. I eat mine before even getting back, while the sugar's still warm.

Good, she can eat hers while she watches.

Honestly, it's not a close race at all.

But hey, more medals for me!

Still not enough for more prizes, though.

"Good job. You should go home and get a good night's sleep."
    Well, it's been a fun day, but there's work to do tomorrow. And this evening, too, I guess.

Though the next evening was interrupted by the now basically usual call for a drinking celebration with the guys.
    And me? I will never, ever turn down a drinking celebration with the guys.

You hear me, domestic bliss? You will pry this evening from my cold, dead hands! Complicated paternal-filial relationships have already tried that, and that's been the driving force of my life thus far!

... I sound kind of pathetic when I put it like that.

Drink to not feel like a loser to the audience of your own thoughts.

"Yeah. You'll be going into hiding soon, huh?" Or hibernating. Whatever sprites do.
    "Yup! Be sure to keep the goddess company!"
    "I'll stop by and see her when I can."
    I'll probably need her advice, honestly.

But today, there's time enough for bringing in the final remains of fall grass, dried and fragrant with that sort of earthy sharpness unique to hay. It's the smell of Sunlight, sunk in deep, maybe.
    And with that... Fall faded into Winter.

The End of the Second Fall

I wake up a little late this Winter, since Elli's made the house, and especially the bed, so waaarm and cozy... But sooner or later, I have to pry myself from the bed.

To hear commentary about the farm.

I can't tell if they mean life, or the land itself. The life? It's not so bad. It's gotten easier, and not just because I'm used to it. Not easy, but...

Well, there is that.

But you know what?

I like it here. I like knowing I have a hand in all my successes, and all my failures. I like answering to nothing but my pocketbook -- and that's fully answered, for now... Oh, that'll change when Dad comes, won't it? I'll answer to him, and that'll be gone...

I like the cows with their big soft faces and the sheep with their ornery ways.

I like the chickens sleepy in the morning, brooding on their eggs -- even Malice, opening one eye to glare up at me.

I like riding Agros around the pasture at night, and I like seeing the grass spread slowly.

I like the smell of mist and dirt in the greenhouse.

I like talking seed prices everyday at the florist's, and seeing what the neighbors are up to.

I like heading to the secret parts of the mountain, and talking with beings that are older than the town. I like little miracles.

I like coming home to my little house, and the woman I love is waiting for me by the side of the bed, because we want to be the last thing in the night like we're the first thing in the morning. I like it when we say goodnight, and I go to sleep with my arms wrapped around her.

I like this life, hidden under a hard layer of frost.
    And if all these people are right -- if Dad really cares at all about me being happy -- then that'll be my answer for him, and it'll be good enough.

*Sigh*

...Lambo. Lambo. Lambo.
    Why you gotta do this?

Anyway, I've filled the vacant row of the greenhouse with strawberries, since those are back in season.
    I've been hanging around the Vineyard a bit, while the wine's being aged...

"...So you really don't have to come check on it every day, alright? We'll tell you when it's ready to be sampled, man..."
    "Alright, alright... I was really just checking up on you guys. Honest."
    "Between you and Karen, I don't know how I'll manage to keep the wine safe for customers..."
    "You'll manage."

Anyway, with Winter, there's something else that slipped my attention.

"Aren't you guys packing it up? You were all hidden away last year."
    "That was when the mine was so busy. We like mining, too <3."
    "Oh, alrighty, then..."
    "Oh, but, we probably won't see you later, so we have one last tip!"
    "A tip?"
    "To celebrate the baby, the goddess gave us one last piece of advice for you. You know how the pond's frozen over? Try walking on it, and seeing what's there."
    "That's your tip, huh? ... Well, thanks. I'm sure it'll come in handy."
    I was going to be more suspicious, because any message from the Goddess might be self-serving... But I trust these little guys. They're frustrating sometimes, but they've never done me wrong.

I try sliding out onto the pond... But all that's there is a big rock.

It's a little bit ajar from the rest of the mountain, though, which is sort of... Odd. Maybe I can break it, and there's something on the other side?

I heft the hammer and go for the biggest swing I can manage, and then...
    It falls into the boulder, gleaming a golden streak behind it and sending stone shards into the air. There's no secret cave. Boo.
    Instead, where the boulder's heart was is...

I call shenanigans. How do you get a fruit to stay perfectly preserved inside a rock? Well, I guess if there's no air inside the rock... But then HOW DO YOU GET A FRUIT INSIDE A ROCK?

Well, it is a tasty rock-fruit. Delicious, delicious rock-fruit!

And with that cliffside defaced, I guess I've left my mark.

I think until the mine opens, I'll be doing a lot of fishing at night. And maybe after; there's not a lot of farm work to do.

Anyway, from day to day, I've been storing some milk for the next day in my cupboard, and filling any empty spaces in my backpack with flowers. It's not like there's a better use for them.

Things are quiet this Winter; we're all just waiting, puttering our days away.

Even Rick's just in his head for hours, coming up with things he'll just need more ore for.
    ...I feel like I can take advantage of this somehow. Maybe by decorating him like a tree.

And Elli's got nothing to do but bake and sit around, since it's way too cold for her to fish out there: the baby'll be born practically any day now.

It's not until Winter 6th that we get our first snow during the day -- I'd just been busy forgetting to buy cabbage seeds, naturally. It'd be another 2 days until I could get more, but eh.
    Instead of crying over this, there's still Harvest Sprites to talk to, though my usual buddy's pretty drowsy.

"You know, they say you shouldn't fall asleep outside in the snow -- that's hypothermia."
    "For humans, maybe... But we're harvest sprites. The cold doesn't hurt us, even if we don't like it."
    "Huh." Well, that was a fun bit of biology.

Anyway, Winter the 7th, with the seed shop closed, greeted me...

Like this.
    Yup, a big harvest, but no chance to start regrowing until tomorrow. Well, at least it'll save me some energy today.

"The mountain cave!"
    The mine'll be open tomorrow, so yippee!

I'm a little surprised to hear someone else admit this, honestly.
    "Yeah, I've noticed. I figured it was just something I'm not used to, being from the city."
    "Just being used to it doesn't make it invisible... But living with the land means waiting sometimes. If it's not unpleasant, then in some ways, the waiting's the good part. After all, your life'll change soon... Why not savor these quiet times?"
    "I do, mostly, but... It's kind of extra quiet, in the winter."
    Or, to put it a better way...
    It's quiet.
    Too quiet.

But hey, the mine'll help.

And tonight, I've got fence repairs to break the routine.
    ....The routine... It'll be seriously broken soon.

Looks like we've got another update or so to go before the baby's born. Provided my estimates are right.
    Last edited by Deme; 2014-01-25 at 03:14 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

17. - Top - End - #677
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hurrah, a new update. The part where you went over a normal routine worked very nice in this condensed format that you're using now.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you! I actually didn't initially intend that: I just wrote a bunch of stuff, and decided to use it to re-ground the action.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thank you! I actually didn't initially intend that: I just wrote a bunch of stuff, and decided to use it to re-ground the action.
    It works well. I thoroughly enjoyed the update.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Troll in the Playground

Danke!
    ETA on the next update, since things are, by necessity, a bit unreliable right now: It's played, just a week-long one, and I'm trying to write the last bits. This is rather difficult, but I hope to figure out what to say by the end of the weekend. I'd say Friday, but Friday's a mess because of all the appointments and things that have been pushed back due to everything freezing.

Edit: Ok, so things have gotten delayed. By a lot. I grossly underestimated blood drawing's effect on my ability to write a sentence, so I have not actually gotten any more stuff done, because that went on for several days. Today's odds of getting things done...Pretty low, but I'll see if I can't find some quiet time.
    Last edited by Deme; 2014-02-02 at 11:13 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

21. - Top - End - #681
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, delays aside, it's finally up! I hope the next one will be timelier and longer.
    And for me to be less harried by the world while I'm doing it.

Chapter 63: You Ruined Everything (In the Nicest Way)
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, the 8th means that we've got the mines open, but before worrying about that, I need to buy new crop seeds. Let's see...

I run to the edge of 9x9s to count the bags I'll need. 7 Strawberries, Hmmm.... 3 Cabbages, 3 Potatoes, let's say.
    It's no trouble to get them before heading off to the mines, though.

Anyway, the usual spiel re: mines, buried treasure, can't leave until 5, etc.
    But let's get to the finds!

"YEAH! Let's get psyched!"

...Thrilling.
    I kid, I kid. I didn't do half bad, actually.

Got timed out with some energy left over...

And one stupid ruckspack space left.

I head to the bar afterwards, to drink out some of the frustration of not filling that last spot. Zack's there today, which is a bit of a surprise, since he hasn't been around the last few times.
    "Haven't seen you around lately."
    "I'd have said the same to you. But I had junk to do in Autumn, and I don't know how Elli'd put up with me being out drinking so often." Homey types, you know? Still, I'm not sure I'd trade it... Though I might trade it if she wasn't okay with the occaisonal night at the bar. You gotta have your own interests.

"That it has."

Anyway, the morning of The 9th comes.

"Before you ask... Sorry, Kent. I don't think there'll be much to spare this year."
    "Awww, Alright." He grumbled. "Getting married is stupid. You get less cake."
    "Well, you know, there's the assurance of togetherness and the promise she won't dump you for that hot guy at the gym and true love and junk."
    "...That's not better than cake, bro! Girls are gross!"
    Pfft. Kids.

I get to the mine later than I'd liked -- more seeds need buying, for example... But anyway, time to mine.
    As opposed to last year, where I was most interested in depth, this year, I just want to get a bag full.

And a bag-full I get! And a little extra, too.

Well, anyway, it's the Thanksgiving festival, which means...
    "Cake?"
    "Not yet."
    "But caaake!"
    "I'm putting together something special... But that takes time."
    Well, it's not like I was being serious... But she puts it like that, and a certain gratitude hits me: under the circumstances, not doing anything special for it would be understandable.
    "...You don't really need to."
    She considers me for a moment.
    "If you put it like that, I think I have to."
    "No, no, I'm not trying to --"
    "No, I mean... When you put it like that, it just fires me up to get to work on it!"
    She shoos me out the door so she can get to it.

Anyway, I kind of want to see how everyone else is doing... Or, put it another way, if I'm the only one whose wife is being weird about this.
    "Hey, Cliff. How's your Thanksgiving going?"

"Wait, she is? When'd that happen?"
    Cliff sputters. In other words, it didn't really.
    "She's been working hard! And it's not like she was really bad at it, she just never really learned. But... She's gotten much better. She tries so hard, but... She's still amazing bad at baking cakes."
    "She just sort of throws it all together, doesn't she?"
    "...Basically. It's a lopsided talent. Eating her cakes gives me a headache."
    ...I don't even want to know what trick of biology makes that possible.

"Stay strong, man. Stay strong."

Grey's response to the whole notion of Thanksgiving...

Is to pretend it never happened, and therefore, he's not blushing.
    "Awww, is Grey shy about getting a pretty cake from his lady? I bet it's got a cute little icing flower on iiitt."
    "Go home."

Harris is significantly less fun to tease.

It'd be like kicking a happy little puppy or something.

When I go to check in on Kai, he has a kind of sappy look on his face -- just somehow far away.

"So I might have gotten a little drunk."
    "...How much brandy does it take to get you drunk, if it's been baked already?"
    "There....Was a lot of brandy."
    I shake my head. Well, at least whatever mystery sweet is in store, at least it won't be soaked in brandy. Everyone knows you need to cook it off...

As evening falls, I go home to see what's been made for the day.

"For you. Because... What I really wanted to say was...
    I'm thankful for you. I could have been alone when Granny died...I could have gone on, thinking, day after day, that love was for people who were special. People who were, you know... Exciting, I guess. Or things like that."

"But you are special." I mean, how do you judge specialness in an objective way, I do not know, but... She's special to me, and you know what? That's all it flipping takes. Just being special to one person.
    She blushes, her speech halted by my sudden burst of romanticism.

"I-I'd have never...really seen that. What...What I wanted to say, though, was... I'm thankful that you came here, into my life.
    ...And....That so will this little one."

She touches her stomach, a tender expression on her face. I can't argue with that, not at all.

The cake itself is exquisite, a soft and airy white cake with layers of strawberries and whipped cream: it's not unlike the sort of cakes she'd make for the bakery, but refined beyond professionalism and into art, a faint taste of vanilla mingling with the sharper sweetness of the strawberries...
    I stand there for a minute, absorbing it all.

"Hardly. It's perfect."

We stay up talking for hours, until it's time for bed.

The 12th passes quietly, with the only note being that I got an interesting item load.

But the 13th doesn't pass by silently; it doesn't even start quietly. It starts with Elli's voice, low and tense against the backdrop of a winter's dawn, with the snow falling softly.
    "Fox. Fox, I-I think it's time."
    "Now?" Dumb question, and already, I shake off any attempts to get an answer out. I throw my clothes on -- look, baby or no baby, I'm not running around creation in my underwear, OK? -- and run out the door.

I fetch the midwife in the pre-dawn, and it looks like she's been ready for a while. Reluctantly, she tells me to wake up the parson, so I do -- well, he's already awake, but you know. At no point during this do I really have time for anything but the basest of emotional reactions:
    panic.

And so now I stand in my house as The midwife goes back and forth between checking on Elli and boiling various...things in the kitchen, the pastor praying as he waits for, I don't know, more to pray about.
    I have no idea what I should be doing. I-I think there needs to be a cigar involved? Or fainting? Or fainting with a cigar, which sounds like a good way to start a fire.
    So, mostly, I hover around anxiously, until no one can tolerate that anymore.

Elli lifts her head off the pillow, sweat fixing her hair to her face. She winces, but grits her teeth and holds back enough to say something.

"A,as soon as I have the baby."

I-I know I need to work, but I want to stay here. Even if it's useless, even if all I do is pace and panic and let my hand get squeezed to a pulp, I... It means something, that she not be alone.

"At the least!"
    The midwife has other plans, and all but grabs me by the collar and pushes me towards the door.
    "I can't speak for the city, but a man's got no business here." She shoots a glare at the Parson, who meets her gaze with a smile that's as good as a flat refusal.

He says, patting my shoulder as I leave the room.

I...I'm not sure what to do. Well, I guess there isn't anything I can do right now.

Life goes on, as I'm so fond of thinking at times like these.

Everything's going to be fine.

It will all be OK, nothing to worry about. She'll be fine. The baby'll be fine.
    And Fox, I don't say this often enough, but man, you'll be fine. You can do this parenting thing, and at least not screw up as badly as your dad did...right?
    Simply wanting the best for someone isn't enough, Dad, and that's something I'm going to have to carry onward.

Did that pep-talk work? The state of concern for screwing up says no.

I try and go for a walk to clear my head...
    But Zack's blocking the road out from the farm.

"I was kicked out. There's nothing for me to do but wait."

So instead, I ride Agro around. Pacing works much better when you're pacing on a galloping stallion.

...And 3 rolls around. That's when they said to check in, so check in, I shall.

...I walked in at a bad time, didn't I?
    "Push more! You're almost there!"

Elli's cries fill the room. The parson looks over his shoulders and waves me to keep my distance, or else incur the midwife's wrath.
    There's a last shout, and then a cry fills up the air.

My son. My...My son.

The midwife cleaned him up by the time I get to see him... He's already sleeping...
    He's so tiny...

I nod, feeling like I'm stumbling through a dream.

His little hands open and close as he sleeps, the tiny reddened stubs of his fingers flexing automatically.
    I brush my hand against the downy tufts of thin hair on his head, hair that's the same color as mine. The world fogs over, and I wipe the tears from my eyes.

"That..."
    She sounds a little out of it -- nothing like endorphins, huh?
    "You did great, honey."

I... I still haven't thought of a name!
    Looking at him, so fresh and delicate-looking, like something could just erase him from the world like a dream...
    I can't seem to think of anything but family. His and mine.

"...How about Pete?" It was my grandfather's name; After all, if it weren't for him... None of this would have happened.

"It's going to be hard, but we'll try our best."
    "Y-yeah."

"Goodnight, honey. I'll watch over him."

To be honest, I'm a little scared: what if something unexpected happens, or...Look, I don't know. I'm nervous in general -- this may be the most important thing I've ever done.
    But it's like she said. We'll have to do our best.
    I don't think I can promise more than that, even though I'd like to. Well, this'll be a fun adventure in being a total screw-up...

It might be, that whatever I do with my life from here, I'll have to think about this little red kind of Winston Churchill-looking face...

Part of me wants to say "Maybe I should have stuck with never risking anything, never having something to stress out, only ever really screwing up myself. No pressure, just fun." But that's completely irreparable; I've made choices where I just can't go back, no matter what I do.
    ...Oh well. I'll just have to suffer, won't I, little guy?
    Last edited by Deme; 2014-02-04 at 09:40 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

22. - Top - End - #682
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yay! Baby Pete!
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -A.C. Clarke

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I can't wait to see where we go from here!

24. - Top - End - #684
    Troll in the Playground

...Well, aren't you lucky!
    ...I'm not exactly sure I can recall why this one took so long. I know why it wasn't out during this weekend, but not before that. ... Oh, wait! I was grading papers! That's what.
    That said, if I'm doing the math right... We're 5 chapters from the end of the game! Assuming I don't skip more time.

Chapter 64: 64 times the 64. 64. ALL THE 64.
    Spoiler
    Show

I promised myself -- possibly just now -- that I would not be the sort of parent who gushes endlessly about how adorable his children are and so on...

So I'm just presenting this image of him without comment, because some things are just self-evident.

Also self-evident: all the screaming. Babies are loud, let's be clear about this. He's lucky I'm used to running late nights -- and here I thought I'd get out of the habit.

Elli's recovered from it all nicely, though.

She looks up from him after a long, long pause. I think I can hear the effort from that.
    "Fox...You need to tell your father."
    "I know."
    "He can't just find out when he shows up in the spring."
    "I know. He'll be furious."
    "Just...call him, alright? For me?"

Well, that'll make going out today much less pleasant...

Oh, it's *always* on a Sunday.

...Today's just going to be special, isn't it?

...I think I passed the point of 'not worrying' my dad ages ago. He's such a perfectionist, I was born worrying him...
    And disappointing. And this sure won't be any different.

And that's what leads me to standing outside the bakery, wondering if I should ask to use their phone.
    And that's what leads me to stop when I put my hand on the door, already writing the conversation in my head and dreading it.
    And that's what leads me to lowering my head and walking away.

I head home, having spent a mostly ordinary, if late, day, under the cover of darkness...
    "I...I didn't call him," I start with, but Elli holds up a finger.

"Ah, right," I say in a whisper. We both look over at him and sigh a little -- if he slept like that more often, I'd be much more comfortable with this parenting gig....
    "I couldn't. I just...Froze up. I... After what happened before the wedding...I don't even know how to start." I sigh.
    "...I'm not letting you back out of this. If you can't do it today, then you'll have to try again another day. I...I don't exactly understand everything between you and your father, but... I can't blame you, either. This is bound to be tough for you...But... I think you'll never gain anything if you don't do it. Nothing will ever change, one way or another." She stood unflinching then, her eyes on me like iron.
    "Family matters: I've always believed that. I want Pete to know that, too. I-If you can't work things out, that's...OK," This, she says with difficulty. "A family that's no good isn't a real family, but... But... You're better than just giving up."

I almost pointed out that it's not like I've never tried -- he just pushes my buttons! But... Having her put it that way, I don't think I can argue. 'You're better than that.' If he could see me like that...Heck, if I could see me like that...Who knows?
    "...Look, I'll try again. In a few days."

One thing to note, over the next couple of days... Was that Pete does not like sleeping when we're not having important conversation.
    Not at all, and our nights are a matter of trying to work out how to calm him down enough to sleep...
    And who should do it.

"I haven't slept well..."

Poor Elli. When she's too worn-out, I'll feed him formula mixed with some milk from our farm...

He likes that, I think. Well, sometimes. Sometimes, he won't stop swirming and it ends up everywhere.

Of course, soon, we won't be the only ones with this trouble...
    I got a letter in the mail.
    Maria's had the baby. Please come and visit us - Harris & Maria.
    Well, when you put it that way, I think I will.

The library's closed, so I end up finding the new parents over by the church taking some air.

"Hey, congrats."
    "You, too. Honestly, I'm...I'm a little nervous, but I'm also really happy. I never thought...That things could go so well."
    He almost looks like he's about to cry. Or burst into a musical-style upbeat song and dance number. Maybe both. I think he'd do a good 'Miracle of Miracles,' don't you?

But I don't want to hear it.
    "...Actually, I'm pretty worried myself."

"Yeah."

Maria smiles as I get near. She looks a little wrung out, but she holds the child close in her arms.
    "Aw, how precious, Maria." Who'da thunk it would all turn out this way, huh?

"People say the baby has my husband's eyes."
    "Yeah, I can see that. Definitely not his nose, though." Thank goodness.
    Yes, definitely not..."
    Looking at Maria, thinking about all that I know of her, I just can't help but add...
    "I'm sure you'll be a great mother. Alright?"
    She nods, with a sort of false fierceness -- but her eyes look a little reassured.

Anyway, I had to go finally buy more seeds: the greenhouse was all but empty this morning.
    I...might have gone a bit overboard, buying about 12 packets of strawberry seeds, but I can save the excess strawberries.

I spend the next day in the mines, trying to scrounge together as much money as I can.
    Rick's in with me.

"Still working on the teleporter?"
    "Absolutely!"
    "I'll see what I can find."

I do find some rare metals -- I'll have to bring one over to him next time I get the chance.

Within the next day...I'm reminded at what the goddess used to say about the way things work here.

We've had the baby! Come see!"
    It's from Cliff and Ann. The punctuation says more Ann than Cliff, but... I'm sure he's had a paryoxism.

"How're things?"
    "They're good now -- I handled it like a horse, ha-ha!... But to be honest, I'm a little worried. Cliff and I sometimes get heated, you know?"
    "Ah, yeah..." I can see why she'd be worried. "You don't want to fight with a kid around."
    "Right, right... I want things to be perfect for him. But what does that mean?"
    "How so?" I mean, not fighting. That's pretty important. But she sighs.

Aah. Well...
    "There are many things you can't understand unless you talk."
    ...I think there's a difference between fighting and talking, but... Maybe not to Ann.
    "Try to keep patience, and just...Do your best. We will, too."
    [color=orange]"Yeah!"

Anyway, Cliff...

"Yeah, I just had a look. He's cute."
    "Oh, but wash your hands before you touch him!"
    Who knew he'd be a fussy dad? I have a good laugh about that... But I'm glad he's getting into it.

Anyway, while I'm in town, I go see Maria to check up.
    "How have your nights been?"
    "Oh, so far, everything's been alright."
    "...What." That...She's lying, right?
    "Seriously?"

"...You lucky...Nevermind. I'm glad to hear that."
    "...Are you really, Fox?"
    "..Well, a little envious."

I head to the church -- with the baby and everything, I haven't had time. I mention this to Kent, who's apparently pretty excited about the whole topic of the baby.

"Thanks, Kent. You be a good 'bro' to him, alright?"
    "I'll be the best!"
    "...Don't count on it, Big Brother." Stu says to me, with a serious face.
    "Hey! I'm a great brother!"

The next day was The 18th, so the dog races would be tommorow.

Well, this year, I've trained Link to be an absolute champ! We're ready for anything!
    "Yeah!"

"And I'll get your dog ready in the morning!"

There's not much else to do today but mine...

But the haul's excellent.

And then it was The 19th of Winter, the dog race. I'll keep my fingers crossed for Link today! I've done the best I could this time!

There's more updates on the endless parade of babies:

Popuri wrote this letter; I didn't really believe Gray even saw it...

Especially because of this. I don't believe he'd let a picture be sent.
    The picture's pretty cute: Popuri, smiling with joy if not energy, holding in her arms a baby in a pink blanket. The baby's hair is a sort of sunset color, somewhere between orange and pink. Maybe salmon. Gray, leaning over, actually has a bit of feeling on his face -- he's not looking at the camera, but down at his child with a thin, hesitating smile. I can imagine it very clearly: when the camera clicked, he'd have looked up and scowled at getting caught, and Popuri would have laughed and touched his arm. But there, no one noticing, they look like he's found something really happy in his life.

And, at the same time, a letter from Karen and Kai. This could have actually been from both of them, I think.

I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to deliver my congratulations: this place is too festival-crazy for any alternative. Honestly, I'm just glad there was someone not attending to leave Pete with: The Midwife, in this case. I suspect she'll be busy today.

Anyway, to start with, I'm left alone to place my bets.

D'awww.

They're puppies and they're running.

Wooh! A healthy supply of medals in the bank!

My race is next. *gulp* I get myself a hot drink to prep my nerves...Although, I guess, there's not much for me to do about it either way.

"Let's wish him luck."
    "I'll be cheering you both on."

Go, Link! Go!

You lead that pack! Who's alpha dog?
    Well, from your perspective, it's me!

But following that... Well, I'd hope for obedience's sake it's Elli!
    But follow that? IT'S YOU!
    Or maybe the horse.
    Pete's too young to have a place in the dominance dynamics of the house.

All our hard work and dog food paid off! Winner winner!

"Who's a good doggy? Who's a good dog who only sometimes pees where he shouldn't? It's you, yes it is!"

"Link ran a great race."

"Whew! It took a lot of dedication, and also fast little doggy legs."

I scoop him up in a hug. He wags, not sure what happened. He's a puppy and people are happy, that's what he knows.

"...I'm watching you."
    "...That's not 'Cheese,' Fox."
    "I know what I said."

No one trusted me at ALL.
    And no one seems particularly excited, either...But hey. I WON. MY DOG IS THE FASTEST AND HE SMELLS THE WORST.

I make my bet for the final race: almost everyone has better odds than Link did.

Looots of medals! I think I might get a good reward.

I will get an awesome dog house.

...It has a little chimney! It's like a tiny person-house!
    ...It might be nicer than what I moved into.

I'm going to bed before I have to think about it any longer.

The next day, as one might expect, a picture arrived in the mail.

Link photographs pretty well. What a photogenic puppy!

I found Popuri though, standing by where the flowers grow in summer.
    "Hi, Popuri. How's the baby?"
    "Fine, just fine! Only... She has a name, you know! I worked hard on it."
    "Oh --" I'm about to say 'Oh, yeah?' but it hits me that Popuri might make a real conversation from it. "What is it?"

She looks so proud of herself... If she's concerned about being a mom, she's decided not to reveal it.

Gray is... Well.

Gray about it all. One day, I will find his true feelings.

I stop by the midwife's for more crash parenting.

"When I'm home, I interact with him a lot..." Is my meakest of offerings. I know I need to work on it... But I can't just sit inside all day, either. Babies need stimulation, right? Maybe I'll show him things from the farm?

Next up, I want to stop by the vineyard to see Karen and Kai and their little one.
    "How are things?"

"And the baby? And you?" I asked, seeing Karen squirm.
    "W-well, I...I'm happy to be able to have a drink. And I need one, with how much crying she does."
    The look in her eyes just screams insincere.

Kai's busy with the wine, so I'll talk to him another time.

Now, who else did I want to see today?...Oh, yeah.
    Someone so annoying she's impossible to forget.

"Congratulations! Oh, I bet he's the most adorable little munchkin ever, yes he is! I bet he looks just like you must have --"
    She gushes like this for several minutes.
    "His name's Pete."
    "...Like...Like your grandfather? How lovely!"
    "Yeah, well... I was wondering...If you've got any advice. About how to be a dad, or...About my dad."
    She pauses for a moment.
    "I've never been a parent, so, I'm not sure, but... Your father makes me think of something. Some good advice that...I may have learned late."
    "Oh?"
    She sits by the edge of the water -- come to that, it's the first time I've seen her sit down like this.
    "Expect that he can do anything... But don't expect that he will do anything."
    I'm not sure what exactly she means by this, but...I think I understand a little.
    "Oh, and... You need to be patient! Patience is the key."
    "Are you talking about my father, or my son?" I ask ask with a laugh.
    "...Well. Sometimes he seemed very much like a crying child." She said, folding her hands.
    We laugh about this for a while, but... I'm a little glad I asked.

The next day...There was nothing I could do but mine...And think.

"It looks like it's snowing today, I say, watching the frost on the windowsill.
    "Winter's such a pain."

"Well, it is a nice time of year for breathing. The faint, distant smell of smoke in the air, the sky like a white blanket..."
    It's certainly a nice thought to take with me into the freezing cold.

...Always a sunday.

Before I go, though...There's someone I have to call.

I go to the bakery and ask Jeff to use the phone. My heart pounds.
    Dad picks up after a few rings.

"...Dad." Ok, how do I say this? 'Surprise, you're a grandfather!' 'Ha, it's been 3 seasons! It wasn't a shotgun wedding, see?'
    "Fox." He sounds surprised.
    "Look, don't freak out, alright?" After last time... "But... Elli and I had a baby. A son. I -- I named him after Grandpa."
    "...I..."
    "So I guess that means you're a grandfather. Make sure you pick up a cigar in my name." Dad would never smoke a cigar.
    Dad's silent for a long time.
    "It took me a while to say this. He was born...About a week ago. So be sure to buy a present for the 13th of Winter, alright?"
    I force a cool tone.
    "Be serious about this, Fox...The way of living you have out there might not be enough to raise a child. Raising a child so far away from...everything is just asking for trouble. You might not be able to handle that."

I almost clench my fists. I almost yell...
    But then...
    He may be right. It's not like I don't have my concerns.

"I know that. Of course I know -- I'm not a complete idiot."
    My father falls silent for a minute, and I smile a rueful smile. I take off my hat and run a hand through my hair... Seeing it spelled out by him like that, I can't help but feel a certain...defiance, maybe? Or determination. I'm not sure I'd know the difference.
    "But I have to try and do this the way that suits me. I have to try and live my life for him my way... Otherwise, I'll just end up resenting everything I love. And...That'll definitely ruin everything."

"And what if 'your way' isn't enough to make him happy?" He asks that very quickly.
    I bite my lip and find my answer, faster than I thought I would.

"Then...Then I'll try something else."
    What am I willing to do for him? For Elli, for it all?

"Whatever it takes to give him what he'll need. Maybe -- maybe the best that I can do will still not be enough. But that'll be there no matter what I do, right? So... I've just got to do the best I can."

This time, my father falls silent for a long time. I can't read the air in it -- it's not tense or angry, but it's not a peaceful silence, either.
    At last, he says, with a strange tone in his voice...
    "The end of next month. I'll see you both then."

The line goes dead.

Oh, yes! Since the next update will include the Spirit Festival, as our last act as king, we'll be choosing assistants for the Spirit Festival. We'll need to pick 3 of our peers, out of all the girls and all the rivals, so submit your votes!

Also. We're now only the party picture away from a full album!
    Last edited by Deme; 2014-02-18 at 05:47 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

25. - Top - End - #685
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elli
    Gray
    Popuri
    Because it will be cute seeing two couples, right?

Grading is fun... I assume, and hope they were typed for your sake.
    I just realized that sake and sake (rice wine) are spelled the same, huh.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Chapter 64, wow. And the drama intensifies. I'll vote Elli, Harris, and Maria.

I was grading papers!
    Ugh, my condolences. I have an evil trick that I play on my students sometimes to break the monotony of grading. I'll start correcting all the grammar and spelling on their lab write-ups (in red pen of course) and they freak out when they see their grades because they assume that they lost it because of grammar. Undergraduates really do come from the shallow end of the gene pool.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 65: Farewell, Second Year!
    Spoiler
    Show

The silence of the morning feels extra cold after last night.

I'm just not sure how I feel, when you get right down to it. I can't think of any wrong I did... Anything I'd have said differently, but...
    I don't know. What was that? A warning? A promise?

"...Cliff, have you ever known what you wanted, but not how other people felt about it?"
    I ask as I hang around Green Ranch, having spent the day and morning in a daze. He looks almost as dazed as I do.

"...Neither of us is actually listening to the other, are we?"
    Still, I think...It's nice to see someone break down the walls of Cliff.

"Relax. I bet Ann thinks it's precious."

I decide to stop messing around with trying to work out how Grey feels.
    "Hey, I've just got to ask...Are you happy?"

"Not...really? Though, in that picture..."
    "What picture?! No, nevermind...Well...Don't worry about me."

Everyone seems to be feeling in a good mood except me.

"It'll be fine, I bet. You'll keep him down in reality."
    "Darn right."

That day, and the next day, just sort of passed by quietly, without much of a note.

"Yeah. it is... This went by pretty fast."
    My heart's pounding at the mention: after all, my time to prepare is evaporating.

"But as they say, all's well that ends well. <3"
    I hope so...

Well, anyway, even that day passes by quietly until evening... When Elli's waiting for me outside. The baby's put to bed, the night is cool and starry...

"Let's watch the stars together after the performance at church."
    "Who else would I watch with?" I offer her my arm.

She slips her arm around mine, and we go off to the church.

Not my ideal, but... This sort of community togetherness is something that's really important to her.

"Most of them just burn away, but...Maybe a few of them get to land."
    "So one could land here?"
    ...And light everything on fire, yes.

Hence why we're indoors. Nothing says the beauty of nature like an excellent view of the rafters.

Anyway, the performers were done preparing, so it was time to start.
    I think I liked it better than last year: a lot of things have happened, and through it... I think we all grew up a little; another phase of life has opened, and it comes through in the music.
    ...Something like that. Heh.

Afterwards, everyone filed out into the night, leaving just Elli and I.

"Dear <3."

We walk outside, the snow crunching underfoot, muffling sound. We reach a spot in the square that we think has a good view: no trees, only somewhat blocked by the mountains, away from the dimming lights of the houses. There are so many stars out here -- compared to it, the city's sky is just a purplish swirl. Here, the sky has texture, the different stars creating layers of light, glittering crisply.

"I think this'll be the sky he'll grow up seeing. No, I'm sure of it."
    She says, as if guessing everything that's been on my mind for days and days. I glance at her and see that she's looking at me, a tender smile on her soft face, an absolutely unshakable resolution in her eyes.
    That faith... I don't think I'll ever have it. Not with my dad involved. But I'll fight for it.
    "I wouldn't want it any other way," I say, and I put my hand in her hand.

And she smiles, because she understands that, and neither of us have anything more that we need to say.

Over the next few days, there's not much to note...
    Though I did head to the bar to start prepping for New Year's.
    "You've been busy lately, huh?"
    "Yeah, kinda."

"Thanks."
    He nods and lets me raise a toast in my own honor.

The animals seem almost impatient for Spring. They keep trying to get out.

Sheeeep!

I'm still keeping up with everyone, by the way:

Cliff, by the way, is completely useless...Not that I can really blame him. I spend a bit too much of the morning just holding Pete's hand as it is. There are things I keep to myself for your (and everyone else's) benefit, after all.

And Maria?
    Well, I was a little worried at first, honestly. She's easily rattled, but...
    "I'm always busy everyday..."

"It's very hard, but wonderful."
    Her smile's small, but...I'm pretty confident that thing's'll work for them.

Actually, that gives me an idea.

"A cake, I think."
    I want to treat my family to something for a change...Though there's not much in terms of treats out here.
    So if a little snack's the best that can be done, so be it.

Meanwhile, it's about the time of year for the end-of-year raffle.

I've got enough for 2, so let's hope for the best!

I will when I can sleep, I'm sure. Still, it'll be a nice addition to the house. Elli hogs pillows like you wouldn't believe.

Now, this will see great practical use! I love my tub.

At the end of the day, I go home to see this stuff.

My nice new cushion. The pattern's...eh, but it's very soft.
    The bath salts don't have a nice container or anything, but they smell nice.

The next day, The 27th, was the Spirit Festival. I know that I have some duties with that, but...I'm not exactly sure how. I'll need to ask the mayor. Hopefully he'll be coming by.

Like clockwork.
    Well, actually, that's tonight, but, whatevs.

"My pleasure."

Three helpers, huh? I know just the person. But for the others...

"Elli, mind performing with me at the festival tonight?"

"I'm sure it'll turn out fine."

Let's see, though, for the other two...How about my favorite couple?
    "Harris! I need some people to play at the Spirit Festival. Want to help out?"

He's always so excited for festivals.

"Maria, you're musical, right? I need some people who can carry a tune for the Spirit Festival tonight."

I will file this under essential parenting advice.

Speaking of needing advice...
    "Hey, Ann. Any luck on fewer fights?"
    "I guess; it's hard to say...Maybe I'm just getting better at looking at the things I'm sure about."
    "Sure about?"

"to change. Maybe I believe they won't change. Am I..."

I was wandering town towards the end of the day, waiting for the festival... I actually caught Rick outside for a change. He had a wistful look.
    "Something on your mind?"
    "Sort of. This time of year makes me think about my first love."
    "Ooh, a first love, huh? Does Rick have a lady in his heart, eh?" I say, turning my most teasing smile on him.

He laughs, but I feel bad for him; an eccentric inventor can't meet many girls.

The festival this year's not much different from last year, except for the outfit... It's a little hard to see in the mask, but I manage alright. Harris isn't great, but an ocarina's not a hard instrument to get something passable out of, and Maria and Elli help carry the song, clear and sweet, into the night.

"A blessing on us all! Let's give the Spirits another round of applause!"

Afterwards, I make sure I give Elli that cake I bought the other day.
    "Well, let's see how Jeff's doing without me!" She takes a bite and considers it seriously. "Not bad, not bad... He's maintaining the recipe, but he hasn't added his own passion in."
    She goes on for a few minutes about improvements and things, but then smiles brightly.
    "That's my opinion as a baker. As a lover of sweets, it's great!"

"...Do you miss baking? Or want to go back?"
    "Maybe one day, but that's far in the future."

"...Well, I'm glad, then."

"If I was like that..."
    "Well, of course. It's the one thing everyone has in common: they were tiny and cried a lot."
    "Gosh, I don't remember that all..."
    Ah, childhood.
    ...Actually, that sort of thing kind of scared me when I was his age.

Before I knew it, it was the end of the Year. The end of my second year... It's been quiet in some ways, but... It's also been maybe one of the most important years of my life. I'll miss it, but it's time to move on.

...What a depressing start to the New Year we'll have.

"Alright, we'll head there tonight, then."
    I've done all my pre-drinking for tomorrow.

That evening, we went to the Church to welcome the New Year. Again, not my thing, but...This could be my last New year here. It's not a bad thing to do.

"...And...Many of them can't be undone. There we sad things, yes, but..."

"...Well, that's good, then. I accomplished something."
    Elli sighed.
    "You accomplish lots of things! Why, I bet soon enough, you'll be going stir-crazy, from not having any more things to add."
    "No way. When the weather's nice, maybe in Summer, I'd still like to find space for a room for Pete, so he doesn't have to sleep in our room. Or a room for us. Maybe both -- we'll divide..."
    I stop when I see her shaking her head, laughing.
    "My, who'd have thought that city boy would put so much effort into everything."

Anyway, it was about time to head on out; the hour had passed, and a new day was encroaching.

"Yeah, let's go."

When the sun comes up, the snow that seems to absorb all of the sound will melt away; This is basically the last possible moment we could walk up there with nothing but white, all around us...

"Yeah; I guess everything's gone to bed already."
    "I almost wish we could just have a nap here...Oh, well. He'll grow out of restless nights, right?"

I just give her a look.

This sets her into giggling. She holds me arm and I rest the side of my head on the top of hers, and we watch the sun come up over the mountains.

...I wonder if our respective Grandparents are watching us right now, from somewhere up above those peaks.

I'm about to share this when she starts to giggle again.
    "What?"

"...Yeah. I guess it is."

While it lasts...
    The die is cast. It's the beginning of the end.

Extras
    Spoiler
    Show

Putting aside the dumb 'Prise' typo (again; what's wrong with you, Natume?), I thought I should show the third place flower raffle prize. It's not anything I'd spend my raffle chance on, but here we are.
    What is the "Flower Seal"?

...It's that flower sticker for your calendar. That's it. Now, if you haven't noticed, I never acknowledge my calendar exists, much less need to mark it with a flower. So...It's so not worth my time it's funny.
    Last edited by Deme; 2014-02-28 at 04:58 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Excellent. The tone and foreshadowing... I can't wait for the next update.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rainy start to a potentially torrential year.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Javan View Post
    Rainy start to a potentially torrential year month.
    Fixed it for accuracy. We've got exactly 1 month between us and the end of the game. Pats on the back for all you lovely readers, we're basically all but finished. Only thing left to do is for me to tie up narrative loose ends and for Fox to cover most of his field with more grass.
    Maybe I'll plant some flowers to act as a border or something, too. Make it look nice.
    The day needs to be passed somehow, right?
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)