New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 5: Suffers Occasional Outbreaks of Butt's Disease

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    Honestly, considering how bad reveals like this have been done in the past(even just the past WEEK) in other comics, this was rather tasteful and
    Oh? Where would the last week thingie be?
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #602
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 5: Suffers Occasional Outbreaks of Butt's Disease

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    Honestly her dockside conversation doesn't strike me as being all that romantic. She struck me as more trying to apologize for being kind of a bit of a jerk early on.

Marten hasn't really got any interested ladies at the moment. He's just kind of doing his own thing, and I think there isn't anybody in the strip he's compatible with on an emotional level right now, so unless we get a new character he's gonna be single for the next while.

Honestly, considering how bad reveals like this have been done in the past(even just the past WEEK) in other comics, this was rather tasteful and
    And what?!? The suspense is killing me!

Too tired... too sick to really contemplate an actual response about this.... But yeah, wasn't expecting that.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Wait Im confused, is/was Claire a guy or is she going fem->male
    <-- Give the zombie a hug. You know you want too. It's so lonely.

I have quit Giantitp. I may be back but not anytime soon
    Sorry everyone

4. - Top - End - #604
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anecronwashere View Post
    Wait Im confused, is/was Claire a guy or is she going fem->male
    Pretty sure the intention is that she was assigned male at birth. So she'd be a trans woman.
    Last edited by Astrella; 2012-11-19 at 12:54 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

Marten hasn't really got any interested ladies at the moment. He's just kind of doing his own thing, and I think there isn't anybody in the strip he's compatible with on an emotional level right now, so unless we get a new character he's gonna be single for the next while.
    But she's so cuute! And so is Emily. Clearly Marten needs to ship out with one of them. Stop sinking our hopes and dreams with your facts. WE DON'T NEED NO FACTS!
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #606
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Pretty sure the intention is that she was assigned male at birth. So she'd be a trans woman.
    Just from their age or...?

Quote Originally Posted by CowMasterTrojan View Post
    As in Transgender? Wow, didn't see that one coming.
    Considering that they haven't really been portrayed as having gotten to know one another beyond a couple of scenes it feels like it's being blurted out to someone that's barely more than a stranger.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-11-19 at 01:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #607
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    In Marten's defense though, brevity suits him. The more he says the worse it comes across. Like when he tried to compliment Marigold, as a recent example.
    Makes sense.

Totally out of the blue though. Feels a bit...too out of the blue, really. But that wasn't really a big deal for me, and I'm kinda interested to see how this might change things in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I feel she would've phrased it differently if she was a trans guy. (or someone non-binary I guess.) As far as we know she's living fulltime as a woman, so if she was a trans guy she would've have said more than just I'm trans? Since it's sorta unclear what that would mean gender-wise unless she is the gender she's presenting as.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #609

WHAT A TWEEST
    Whoah, did not see that coming. Also while Marten's reaction is really good I wish he had said a little bit more you know? Like, it's a pretty big (and risky) thing to come out about after all. Still, didn't expect QC to suddenly have a trans* character which is very neat. We don't really get that much representation after all.
    I reckon it'll get more coverage over time. At the very least, I bet Marten puts his foot in it at some point... On the other hand, wouldn't it be interesting if this was like the one area where he performs (socially) perfectly?
    I assume it'll drive a plot arc at some point, but mostly I'd personally quite like it if it stayed fairly low-key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    What would her age have to do with it?
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2012-11-19 at 01:20 AM.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Makes sense.

Totally out of the blue though. Feels a bit...too out of the blue, really. But that wasn't really a big deal for me, and I'm kinda interested to see how this might change things in the future.
    Steve breaks up with cossette, later decides to pursue Claire, Martin has to tell him the secret. Drama. That's my prediction.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    WHAT A TWEESTI reckon it'll get more coverage over time. At the very least, I bet Marten puts his foot in it at some point... On the other hand, wouldn't it be interesting if this was like the one area where he performs (socially) perfectly?
    I assume it'll drive a plot arc at some point, but mostly I'd personally quite like it if it stayed fairly low-key.
    Yeah, I would like that too actually. Trans* characters are often very centered around their being trans, which is okay cause it's a story thing to explore, but it's neat to also have trans* characters for who being trans* isn't their central character trait.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #612

NecromancerGuy

I feel she would've phrased it differently if she was a trans guy. (or someone non-binary I guess.) As far as we know she's living fulltime as a woman, so if she was a trans guy she would've have said more than just I'm trans? Since it's sorta unclear what that would mean gender-wise unless she is the gender she's presenting as.
    Given Questionable Content's track record for awkward people saying awkward things, I could see it going either way, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    What would her age have to do with it?
    A presumption that someone who was old enough to be a grad student would have enough years on them to be somewhere along the transition process rather than not yet started upon it.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ok, that wasn't what I was expecting either.
    But really what was Marten supposed to say? His reaction was sort of a "Oh yeah? Cool. Now, we were going inside, right?" not making a huge deal out of it.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. So Claire and whassisname robot-hand are probably identical twins? Never mind, forgot that they're actually not twins, heh.

Unexpected reveal, but it looks like it might be pretty much a nonevent. Nice, though. She obviously considers him a decent friend, anyway.

And man, between Emily and Claire, Martin really is doing that whole "adopting a whole not-harem of quirky friendless girls" thing. I think Dora might need to open a second shop.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2012-11-19 at 02:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Huh. So Claire and whassisname robot-hand are probably identical twins? Unexpected reveal, but it looks like it might be pretty much a nonevent. Nice, though. She obviously considers him a decent friend, anyway.

And man, between Emily and Claire, Martin really is doing that whole "adopting a whole not-harem of quirky friendless girls" thing. I think Dora might need to open a second shop.
    I thought about that for a moment, but then I remembered this.
    Last edited by Astrella; 2012-11-19 at 03:20 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #617
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ugh, Jeph's note at the end of the page seems oddly prophetic given the events of the last 2 weeks.
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ogre in the Playground

wow... that is a tad creepy.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CowMasterTrojan View Post
    wow... that is a tad creepy.
    How so?blablablaneedmoretexttopost

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

Weeks before hurting his hand, he made a off handed comment about how screwed he would be if he ever hurt his hand... which just happened.

21. - Top - End - #621

Oh! I though you we're commenting on Claire's.. (outing?).

There is a lot of irony to be taken in Jeph's comments. I just finished rereading it all, and oh my is it funny at times

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Totally out of the blue though. Feels a bit...too out of the blue, really.
    Now that I think about it, it was not without a foreshadowing. Claire and Clinton are pretty much identical twins, which indicates they are monozygotic twins. This leads to a conclusion, that one of them had to ondergo a gender change (or how you name it). I do admit, that I didn't see it coming, but it fits the facts in hindsight.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Now that I think about it, it was not without a foreshadowing. Claire and Clinton are pretty much identical twins, which indicates they are monozygotic twins. This leads to a conclusion, that one of them had to ondergo a gender change (or how you name it). I do admit, that I didn't see it coming, but it fits the facts in hindsight.
    Claire is 24. Clinton is 21. If they're twins, one of them must be a time traveller.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm hm, it was a pretty fitting reaction coming from Marten. Like, that's a really good response to get to coming out; it was only a minor remark.
    Next comic consists of Marten in the bathroom looking in the mirror and going "holy s**t what do I do now?"

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

25. - Top - End - #625

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Claire is 24. Clinton is 21. If they're twins, one of them must be a time traveller.
    No offense, but seeing the level of sci-fi seriousness we have experienced in the comic, it's not entirely out of the question.

We already had time-travelling Espressosaure.

26. - Top - End - #626

In all honesty, that is probably the absolute best case scenario for reactions period. Instant acceptance, a feeling of a total lack of mattering beyond a quick mental checkmark so he knows for the future, and lets move on. After all, considering his list of friends and their quirks and hangups, having a friend who is transgendered isnt that big of a deal. Hell, I found this exact same thing about someone I know recently and my reaction was more or less the same, "So, wait, Paris was born a guy named Vinny? Ok." (Yes that was pretty much word for word my reaction)
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

27. - Top - End - #627
    Troll in the Playground

Huh? I must have missed that. There goes the theory then, unless we don't rule out cryogenics.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

28. - Top - End - #628

NecromancerGuy

Or involved storing an embryo for later implantation. I think we can do something like that anyway.
    Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

Do you think Claire has yet to change to male through hormones or is she okay with being the wrong gender?
    She didn't say pre-op or post op so it is possible.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Maybe she just wanted to get it out there, in lights of Faye's "makeout spot" talk in the previous strip.

"I dunno if you were going for that or not, but just FYI I was born a dude. I know some guys think that's gross."

That's assuming this was the way it went, as the other way doesn't make too much sense. She would still be using a female name, female hairstyle, female clothing, female everything - "But I want to be a guy" - that just doesn't seem that likely.