New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 49 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VII: The Mosh Pit Don't Start 'Til We Walk In

I've only heard one Krallice album, I think their first, and it bored me so I haven't tried the new one... Worth it? Also, I remembered Manierisme released a cool one this year.

The T Swifties isn't actually my AOTY, but I do like it quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    Yeah. That one's been on my wishlist for some time now but, last I checked, it was vinyl exclusive so that's a pipe dream.
    It will get a CD release. I know a guy who knows Austin.
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-12-05 at 12:12 PM.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

2. - Top - End - #722
    Troll in the Playground

AOTY is easily Laurel Halo, with Tame Impala being biggest let-down. I loved Innerspeaker but Lonerism was just kinda disappointing.

Also, Kowloon Walled City are releasing an album this week, I think. Should be a strong contender for metal AOTY for me. Looks like Pitchfork covered the single, so I can officially claim I knew them before they were big.

That was a joke.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Troll in the Playground

I dig Laurel Halo but I just do not get it as AOTY. D: Maybe I'm missing something.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

4. - Top - End - #724
    Troll in the Playground

I'm going to put the new Testament down as my album of the year, with the album from Mike Portnoy and Russel Allen's side project Adrenaline Mob as the second place finisher.

It's been a bit of a down year for me as new albums go. Next year will at the very least have new releases from Holy Grail and White Wizzard, I've heard some mutterings about either the recording or release of albums from Judas Priest, Artillery, and Amon Amarth, and of course there's always the remote possibility that the second Control Denied might make it out into the light of day, so there's stuff to look forward to.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Bugbear in the Playground

My actual number one AOTY will doubtlessly be the new Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I'll be making a list sometime next year but for the time being that's all I have set in stone.

6. - Top - End - #726

Top picks of 2012... gonna have to say Utilitarian by Napalm Death may well be the best of the year. Some other good ones were In Death We Meet (Derkéta), Cremation Is Irreversible (Ash Pool, not an LP but I was addicted to the two songs that were on it for who knows how long, so onto the list it goes), Enthrallment Traced (Grace Disgraced), Cryptopsy's eponymous album (I may be slightly biased from the joy of seeing Cryptopsy going back to playing death metal again), Remnants of Filth (Phobia), At The Gates of Sethu (Nile), Scum.Collapse.Eradication (Revenge), and All We Love We Leave Behind (Converge).

Also, words cannot describe how much I'm looking forward to 2013. New albums from Suffocation, Defeated Sanity, Devourment, among others? The only way it could get any better was if they all toured together for the new albums.
    Last edited by Comrade; 2012-12-05 at 08:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

7. - Top - End - #727

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    I've only heard one Krallice album, I think their first, and it bored me so I haven't tried the new one... Worth it?
    I think so. I can't imagine Krallice being boring so I can't exactly be objective here. I suspect if you thought one was boring you'd think the new one was boring, give it a shot anyway. It's the most intelligent black metal you'll hear for a while.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Troll in the Playground

My actual number one AOTY will doubtlessly be the new Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I'll be making a list sometime next year but for the time being that's all I have set in stone.
    Still need to listen to that too, but I want to actually get through F♯ A♯ ∞ first.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Top picks of 2012... gonna have to say Utilitarian by Napalm Death may well be the best of the year. Some other good ones were In Death We Meet (Derkéta), Cremation Is Irreversible (Ash Pool, not an LP but I was addicted to the two songs that were on it for who knows how long, so onto the list it goes), Enthrallment Traced (Grace Disgraced), Cryptopsy's eponymous album (I may be slightly biased from the joy of seeing Cryptopsy going back to playing death metal again), Remnants of Filth (Phobia), At The Gates of Sethu (Nile), Scum.Collapse.Eradication (Revenge), and All We Love We Leave Behind (Converge).

Also, words cannot describe how much I'm looking forward to 2013. New albums from Suffocation, Defeated Sanity, Devourment, among others? The only way it could get any better was if they all toured together for the new albums.
    That Ash Pool is amazing. Do you own the tape? I love the art. I am a big booster of EPs and singles, honestly.

Glad to see someone else digging the Revenge. You should really listen to Pseudogod's Deathwomb Catechesis, Comrade. Think you'd dig it.

I think so. I can't imagine Krallice being boring so I can't exactly be objective here. I suspect if you thought one was boring you'd think the new one was boring, give it a shot anyway. It's the most intelligent black metal you'll hear for a while.
    Well I'll give it a try at some point and see.
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-12-05 at 09:10 PM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

9. - Top - End - #729

I'm terrible at making lists/ranking things, but damn is that a good record. I like it better than the previous one.

10. - Top - End - #730

Still need to listen to that too, but I want to actually get through F♯ A♯ ∞ first.
    I didn't listen to that, I think you'll be fine. It's fairly self contained.

Well I'll give it a try at some point and see.
    It's layered man. It rewards committed listeners. Just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    I'm terrible at making lists/ranking things, but damn is that a good record. I like it better than the previous one.
    I'm terrible at making lists too. That's why it's taking me until next year to finalize mine. That and I'm making a Tracks of the Year list as well.
    Last edited by DJ Yung Crunk; 2012-12-05 at 09:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #731

That Ash Pool is amazing. Do you own the tape? I love the art. I am a big booster of EPs and singles, honestly.

Glad to see someone else digging the Revenge. You should really listen to Pseudogod's Deathwomb Catechesis, Comrade. Think you'd dig it.
    Alas, I do not own the Ash Pool tape. I admit I haven't really looked that hard, but my paltry attempts to find a copy for sale were for naught.

Pseudogod was intriguing, too-- really dense and thick, definitely reminds me of Revenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Troll in the Playground

My album of the year is either Borknagar's Urd, Enslaved's RIITIIR, or Finsterforst's Rastlos. It changes depending on the phases of the moon... or something.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

13. - Top - End - #733
    Troll in the Playground

I didn't listen to that, I think you'll be fine. It's fairly self contained.

It's layered man. It rewards committed listeners. Just a heads up.
    I'll get to both of them eventually, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Alas, I do not own the Ash Pool tape. I admit I haven't really looked that hard, but my paltry attempts to find a copy for sale were for naught.

Pseudogod was intriguing, too-- really dense and thick, definitely reminds me of Revenge.
    The AP came out on vinyl recently. Dunno whether or not it's sold out yet. Check it here. Good label btw, the dude behind it is really nice.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

ok
    top 10 of the year
    (Expect a bigger article soon)

10 Aeon- Aeons Black
    9 Revocation-Teratogenesis (Technically an EP but too awesome not to include)
    8. Bloodmoon-Orenda (unsigned black metal magic.)
    7. Periphery II this time it's personal
    6. Veil of Maya Eclipse
    5. Pig Destroyer-Book Burner
    4. Gypsyhawk-Revelry and Resilience
    3. Ensiferum-Victory Songs
    2. Wintersun-Time I
    1. Alcest-Les Voyages de L'ame

thoughts?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

15. - Top - End - #735
    Barbarian in the Playground

According to my itunes, I only bought seven albums released this year. Apparently, I wasn't paying enough attention to new releases this year. But at least my list is pretty easy to make.

1. Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage
    2. Kamelot - Silverthorn
    3. Eluveitie - Helvetios
    4. Katatonia - Dead End Kings
    5. Candlemass - Psalms of the Dead
    6. Dragonforce - The Power Within
    7. Wintersun - Time I

16. - Top - End - #736
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    So much yes. This is definitely the best album of the year.
    Also, I feel the need to mention Ariettes Oubliées by Les Discrets which also came out this year, darn good album.

Is this just a list of Metal albums? Or can does it cross over into Rock as well? Because Hide and Seek by Birthday Massacre is also one of my favorite releases of the year.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Troll in the Playground

2. Wintersun-Time I
    I found both these hella boring. Sorry Baconator. Dat Alcest... I think Écailles de Lune is doomed to be his only LP that I like.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

18. - Top - End - #738

You should both definitely check out F#A#∞ (or: how we tune our guitars!) though I think Lift yr Skinny Fists is my favorite GYBE record so far. The new one is close. They've been touring again, and definitely worth catching live, if you can stand being in a room with that many hipsters. Thunderous begins to describe. Dynamics taken to the logical extreme. Even more so, there's a recording of the band Low, doing one of their typical quiet minimal songs, joined halfway through by Godspeed, who take over the set from there. On the list of concerts wish I could have attended, that's pretty high up there!

Offtopic for the thread, but my love of post-rock definitely led me to check out bands like Isis.

Oh, and AllIHaveIsCrunk, are you into Swans at all? If you like the slow building movement of Godspeed, and heavy music in general (though I wouldn't call them metal), seems like it might be up your alley!

19. - Top - End - #739

Oh, and AllIHaveIsCrunk, are you into Swans at all? If you like the slow building movement of Godspeed, and heavy music in general (though I wouldn't call them metal), seems like it might be up your alley!
    The Seer is an effing masterpiece, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Is this just a list of Metal albums? Or can does it cross over into Rock as well? Because Hide and Seek by Birthday Massacre is also one of my favorite releases of the year.
    This is a pretty casual discussion, whatever rules you want to set you can do so. Maybe one day we'll all turn in definitive Top 25 o' 2012 or whatever (boy that'd be swell) but for the time being speculate as far as your imagination will allow.
    Last edited by DJ Yung Crunk; 2012-12-06 at 09:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #740

The Seer is an effing masterpiece, man.
    TRUTH.

You and I, I think we have found our common ground.

21. - Top - End - #741

TRUTH.

You and I, I think we have found our common ground.
    It was inevitable. I like quite a lot of stuff.

22. - Top - End - #742

It was inevitable. I like quite a lot of stuff.
    Same here, thought it seems like we've gone in different directions. Either way, it's awesome finding common ground!

And all you metal fans who don't listen to Swans (because they're not really metal, though very heavy), find a copy of "Feel Good Now" or "Swans Are Dead". Might be of interest.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nomrom View Post
    4. Katatonia - Dead End Kings
    5. Candlemass - Psalms of the Dead
    Both of these were pretty awesome, yeah. Candlemass especially. And now they're done. Damn.

Also I totally forgot about Alcest's release. That was so far back at the start of the year. That was good too.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

24. - Top - End - #744

Same here, thought it seems like we've gone in different directions.
    Really? I hadn't noticed

Either way, it's awesome finding common ground!
    I prefer it when we have something to debate. Like that power metal/thrash metal thing I was so embarrassingly wrong about or that new wave/post punk thing I'm completely and unambiguously right about.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Troll in the Playground

Seems like autothrall really likes The Scarred People. Cool.

A thought just hit me; isn't it about time for a new Haggard album? And Hollenthon has also been criminally quiet these past few years. I'd really like to see something new from them.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Dat Alcest... I think Écailles de Lune is doomed to be his only LP that I like.
    Not that Faulty needs my support, but... +1.
    Les Voyages is inferior to Ecailles.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Les Voyages is my favorite Alcest release. :<

Not that I don't like Ecailles... I have the album artwork on my wall.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Troll in the Playground

Écailles de Lune is probably his best album, y'know, musically speaking. And I do think it's a great album.

But Les Voyages de L'ame just does something for me. It flows better. Or something to that effect. That's the album I'll put on when I want me some Alcest. It's my favourite too.

29. - Top - End - #749

I listened to Les Voyages De L'Âme a couple of times here and there and I gotta say it really did nothing for me. It wasn't bad or anything but it was sort of in-one-ear, y'know? It's the only Alcest album I've listened to so if this other one is so hot I might check it out.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Écailles de Lune is probably his best album, y'know, musically speaking. And I do think it's a great album.

But Les Voyages de L'ame just does something for me. It flows better. Or something to that effect. That's the album I'll put on when I want me some Alcest. It's my favourite too.
    Écailles de Lune is a great album, It's technically brilliant and I generally enjoy it. I just enjoy listening to Les Voyages more just because I seem to connect to it better and personally find that it touches my emotions a lot more. Plus, the songs are a bit more catchy, which is a bonus.

I listened to Les Voyages De L'Âme a couple of times here and there and I gotta say it really did nothing for me. It wasn't bad or anything but it was sort of in-one-ear, y'know? It's the only Alcest album I've listened to so if this other one is so hot I might check it out.
    If that's the kind of reaction you had to Les Voyages, then I wouldn't recommend Ecailles because it follows a similar sort path musically.
    Try listening to Souvenirs d'un autre monde instead, it differs a little more.