New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 55 of 91 FirstFirst ... 53045464748495051525354555657585960616263646580 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #1621
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q 802

Is there a Prestige Class for casters that turns the character into a lich or other powerful undead?

2. - Top - End - #1622
    Ogre in the Playground

A802
    Walker in the Wastes turns a divine caster into a Dry Lich.
    Bone Knight and Pale Master grant undead-like traits, but I'm unaware of anything else that actually grants undead type.

Q803
    When symbionts grant natural attacks (like the Tongueworm and Tentacle Whip), should the damage use the same dice as the symbiont's similar natural attacks?

Q804
    Can Symbionts that both grant natural attacks to the user and have a similar natural attack of their own (like the Crawling Gauntlet's claw attack or Tongueworm's sting) make attacks in the same round that the host uses them as natural weapons? The Tentacle Whip forbids it, but I can't tell if that should be taken as an exception or as precedent.

Q805
    The Crawling Gauntlet has an ability called "Strangle" that isn't defined in its entry: should that be shrugged away as an editing oversight, or does it have a specific definition elsewhere? (defined like "Immobilized" or other post-core jargon)
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-09-02 at 01:42 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1623
    Ogre in the Playground

Q806

I can't remember if it was a feat or a class feature. Dragon mag or book. Googling for it has turned up nothing cause I can't get the search terms 'just right.' It acted like combat reflexes, but added a different modifier ( wisdom or intelligence or something ) instead. Anyone know what it is?

4. - Top - End - #1624
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Q807 Does Mind blank protect you from Mindsight? As I understand it, it protects you from knowing what's in the mind, not the mind itself.
    Last edited by CardCaptor; 2012-09-01 at 10:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1625
    Ogre in the Playground

A806

Off my head Psychic Weapons Master, 3.0 Weapon Master (Sword & Fist, maybe also Oriental Adventures?), Dreamscarred Press's Reflexes of the Cat. I want to say there was a monk ACF too, but I can't place it. Could have been something weird and third party.
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-09-01 at 11:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1626
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 807 No.

Mindsight is not a device, spell, or mind-affecting effect. As such, its operation is outside the characteristics protected by Mind Blank.

7. - Top - End - #1627
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 808
    Is there some feat or ability that can be used to give sneak attack ability to NPC classes? I don't have that many books, but i can get some to look through.

More specifically- Is there a way to make a 5th level expert with sneak attack? Or a 5th level warrior? without adding PC class levels?
    Last edited by Kol Korran; 2012-09-02 at 11:06 AM.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

8. - Top - End - #1628

Q 809: Does Hand of the Mage require a user to concentrate?

9. - Top - End - #1629
    Pixie in the Playground

A: 809
    By raw, yes. The item lets you use Mage Hand at will, and Mage Hand requires concentration.
    Last edited by Anodai; 2012-09-04 at 12:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gygax
    The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don’t need any rules

10. - Top - End - #1630
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 808 No.

Generally speaking, sneak attack comes from class abilities or monster levels. A Derro has sneak attack, so you could make a 6th level Derro NPC character (3 monster HD, +2 LA, Expert 1/Warrior 1) with sneak attack. There are no single feats which grant sneak attack. The combination of Martial Study and Martial Stance (Tome of Battle, pages 31-32) will allow you to pick up Assassin's Stanceif the character also has martial initiator level 5, meaning character level 10 without martial adept classes. The spell Hunter’s Eye (Player's Handbook II, pages 114-115) temporarily grants sneak attack ability, but usually requires at least 8 levels of Ranger to be able to cast.

11. - Top - End - #1631
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q810

I know there is a feat for Dragons that allows them to breath weapon every turn rather than every d4 turns, is there a more broad feat that will target any special ability? For example Horizon Walker can give you the ability to Dimension Door every d4 rounds, is there any way to make it up to once a round? I guess that's technically 'at will'. So yea, something to increase the frequency of SLA's?

12. - Top - End - #1632
    Banned

Q811
    Can a Lawful Good or Chaotic Evil caster of Summon Monster 3+ summon Elementals, which are True Neutral? Does the answer change depending on whether the caster is a Cleric?

13. - Top - End - #1633

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Q811
    Can a Lawful Good or Chaotic Evil caster of Summon Monster 3+ summon Elementals, which are True Neutral? Does the answer change depending on whether the caster is a Cleric?
    A 811: Yes. [Neutral] is not an alignment descriptor for spells, and even so it wouldn't oppose anything. The only limit for clerics is that they can't cast spells opposed to either their alignment or their deity's.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

14. - Top - End - #1634

Q812: Not sure this one falls under "Simple Q&A" . Can a properly-built Shadowcraft Mage emulate the Invoke Magic spell (Lords of Madness) from within an AMF using a shadow illusion?

15. - Top - End - #1635
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 812 No.

Antimagic Field is impervious to most spells, and no feature of the Shadowcraft Mage prestige class overrides Antimagic Field. Because the Shadowcraft Mage cannot cast spells in an AF it doesn't matter what spell they're trying to emulate. Their Supernatural abilities, including Shadow Illusion, simply do not function within the area of Antimagic Field.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-09-03 at 10:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1636

Q 813: If a creature with a morale bonus fails its will save and has mind blank cast on it, does it retain the bonus?

17. - Top - End - #1637
    Titan in the Playground

Q814 Is there a way of enabling sneak attack on AoO?
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2012-09-04 at 09:02 AM.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

18. - Top - End - #1638
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q 815

If you take 1 lvl wiz dip as a duskblade can you channel spell you know as a wizard?
    Last edited by JohnDaBarr; 2012-09-03 at 05:12 PM.
    Life before death.

19. - Top - End - #1639
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 816

a)
    While using a grapple check to deal unarmed damage to an enemy, can you use the power attack feat to deal additional damage?

b)
    Can you use Snap Kick (feat from Tome of Battle) during a grapple, even if all your attacks resulting from a high enough base attack bonus during a grapple were grapple checks?
    Last edited by DeltaEmil; 2012-09-03 at 05:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1640
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 817

How can a Neutral cleric gain immunity to Blasphemy and/or Holy Word?

21. - Top - End - #1641
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 814

You can use Sneak Attack on an AoO if the target is denied its Dex to AC or if you are flanking them, just like with any other attack.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

22. - Top - End - #1642

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    1814 Is there a way of enabling sneak attack on AoO?
    A 814: By having the target of the AoO be subject to any of the conditions that would normally allow sneak attacks. Having the target be flat-footed, for example (e.g. be invisible), or flanking the target.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

23. - Top - End - #1643
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 810
    Quote Originally Posted by TypoNinja View Post
    I know there is a feat for Dragons that allows them to breath weapon every turn rather than every d4 turns
    I believe you're mistaken there. Both Rapid Breath (Savage Species) and Recover Breath (Draconomicon) reduce the waiting time by 1, potentially leading to a recovery time with both feats of 1d4-2 rounds, which still does not match the feat you "know" exists. As far as I am aware, the only general feats for spell-like abilities are of the same standard form as for spells: Quicken, Empower, Heighten, ..., plus ways of increasing the save DC like Spell-like Ability Focus. Other feats for SLAs are more specific, either targeting individual spell-like abilities, or requiring some other ability in conjunction with SLAs for their function.

A 815 Yes.

1 1-level Wizard dip will let a Duskblade of sufficient level use Arcane Channeling on 0th- and 1st-level Wizard spells that the character knows.

A 816 a) No.

While a grapple check is similar to an attack roll, Power Attack requires an actual attack roll to gain its benefit.

A 816 b) Maybe.

Snap Kick may be used during a grapple if at least one grapple check is to Attack Your Opponent. Other grapple checks are made in place of melee attacks, and do not specify that their effect is a melee attack. Only Attack Your Opponent qualifies for Snap Kick's benefit.

A 817

A Silence spell provides immunity for its duration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence
    This spell provides a defense against sonic or language-based attacks.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-09-03 at 08:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1644

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 810 I believe you're mistaken there. Both Rapid Breath (Savage Species) and Recover Breath (Draconomicon) reduce the waiting time by 1, potentially leading to a recovery time with both feats of 1d4-2 rounds, which still does not match the feat you "know" exists. As far as I am aware, the only general feats for spell-like abilities are of the same standard form as for spells: Quicken, Empower, Heighten, ..., plus ways of increasing the save DC like Spell-like Ability Focus. Other feats for SLAs are more specific, either targeting individual spell-like abilities, or requiring some other ability in conjunction with SLAs for their function.
    Ahh my mistake, thought there was one that lowered it to one, not lowered by one, it has admittedly been a long time since I looked at that.
    Last edited by TypoNinja; 2012-09-03 at 08:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1645
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q818

Can spell craft be used to understand know what a spell like ability is? (Such as a Warlock Blast which can be seen)

If so where is this stated?

Cheers.
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

26. - Top - End - #1646
    Titan in the Playground

Q819 Is there any kind of ability that enables sneak attack on AoO regardless of the normal Sneak Attack triggers?
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2012-09-04 at 09:06 AM.
    Just call me Dusk

27. - Top - End - #1647
    Ettin in the Playground

A 819

Sneak Attack of Opportunity is the only one I know of. It is Epic unfortnuately.

Q 820

If a medium character uses a two-handed reach weapon (a glaive for example) and has 2 claws as natural attacks, could he make AoOs into adjacent squares with a claw? Would the claw get the -5 for a secondary natural attack?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-09-04 at 09:15 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1648
    Titan in the Playground

And not even Dragonwrought Kobolds can get it pre-epic due pre-requisites... drat.
    Just call me Dusk

29. - Top - End - #1649

Q 821

The general rule is that you cannot play a monster with less than 3 int. However on page 75 in the "freed spawn" sidebar it says that:

"If an undead spawn's creator is destroyed, the spawn is no longer controlled by that creature. If the freed spawn was a player character when alive, it can now adventure like a character with an ECL equivalent to the creator's. For instance, a freed ghoul spawn has an ECL of 5, and a freed shadow spawn's ECL is 10...

... A freed spawn can gain experience points through adventuring, adding them to the XP total the character had when alive. When it becomes eligible to advance a level, it can add class levels as normal or pursue the emancipated spawn prestige class..."

Does this mean that if a PC were to be turned into a zombie by a monster with the create spawn ability, he would be able to keep adventuring as a PC despite being mindless? Basically I'm asking if specific trumps general in this case.

30. - Top - End - #1650
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 822

When calculating weapon and armor costs for larger creatures, are masterwork and special material costs also doubled?

For instance, would a large masterwork greataxe cost 340 gp, or 640 gp?
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!