New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

Finally broke my unspoken "7 kills maximum per battle" rule. Incredibly pleased with how this battle turned out.

Spoiler
    Show

I ended up getting: Boelter's Medal, Top Gun, Sniper, and Steel wall for my efforts. Found it somewhat fitting that my xp total was "1337"
    Last edited by Yana; 2012-09-08 at 04:35 PM.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

2. - Top - End - #542

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

I lol'd.

Victory!
    Battle: Widepark 9. syyskuuta 2012 12:05:21
    Vehicle: AMX 13 F3 AM
    Experience received: 2*774 (x2 for the first victory each day)
    Credits received: 51*673
    Battle Achievements: Sniper, Master Gunner, Sharpshooter, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

10 out of 11 :D

3. - Top - End - #543

Just got out of a game in Mountain Pass where I managed to earn Steel Wall with a VK 3001 (P) due to the enemy KV-1 and ARL 44 getting something like 10 bounces on me. I angled my hull and kept mostly hidden behind a wreck, but it still felt like they were shooting potatoes at me.

And since neither of them had the presence of mind to just rush me (I'm still stock turret and gun), I ended up holding the entire flank by myself while another VK went around the back and capped.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxymiuk View Post
    Just got out of a game in Mountain Pass where I managed to earn Steel Wall with a VK 3001 (P) due to the enemy KV-1 and ARL 44 getting something like 10 bounces on me. I angled my hull and kept mostly hidden behind a wreck, but it still felt like they were shooting potatoes at me.

And since neither of them had the presence of mind to just rush me (I'm still stock turret and gun), I ended up holding the entire flank by myself while another VK went around the back and capped.
    ...I had a very similar experience where I was bouncing shots from their VK3601, T-34-85, KV-1, StuG, PzIV & 2 other tanks I don't remember on Mountain Pass in the lower passage behind a rock with an angled hull.

Only difference being, since it was 2v7 (I had a PzIV giving me fire support), somebody eventually did drive up to me and make me go "pop" before we won Still, we won with cap shortly thereafter so I have no doubt the 13 shots I'd taken greatly helped us win.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Barbarian in the Playground

So anyway, I unlocked the S-51 last night, and I had a pretty productive first game:

"Victory!
    Battle: Himmelsdorf Sunday, 9 September 2012 10:34:15 PM
    Vehicle: S-51
    Experience received: 100 (150 fine for damage caused to allies)
    Credits received: 0"

I fired a single shot at an enemy Kv-4 across the other side of the map, just as an allied E-75 drove in front of me. The shot detonated on his side armour, dealing 800 damage to him and killing me instantly.

Awesome avatar by Shades Of Gray!

I really need to find some new quotes to put here.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

i LOVE when someone on the enemy team gifts me with a victory

the 1st american map...city in NW..rail line running up east side with a couple bridges

we are getting slaughtered in city but our west force is pushing past their token resistance

enemy t50-2 is capping our flag..he has 30 points already

i am last person near base..hiding behind the small group of diagonally placed buildings...i start heading back to flag...but NO WAY am i going to get there with 8 enemies swarming out of the city

3 guys from east head back..3 head to cap

the t50-2 LEAVES CAP (losing about 45 points) to come out and fight me

we end up winning the cap race and they miss countercap by 9 8)

i can just imagine how much the t50 was getting cussed out in team chat
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

7. - Top - End - #547
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Greenock, Scotland, Tellus, solar system, Milkyway

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    WoT can only use one core properly.
    some performance changes are to be expected in 8.0 and 8.1, apparently rewritten engine to actually utilize players graphics cards instead of only cpu which should improve overall performance.

As for the XVM, it gives players using it a tactical advantage. That type 59 you are fighting? You now see if he has 40% win rate and less then 1000 played games or if he has 60% win rate and 10,000 games. I don't much care for the mod myself, but a friend uses it and when we play I'm thankful for being told who are players to beat in the opposing teams. But then again I tend to actively go after people with good stats/famous clan tag.
    unfortunately many players react to the xvm info by becoming passive if the enemy has a higher chance of winning - thus guaranteeing that the enemy can win by chewing up the team piece by piece. They don't even bother to support own team mates in a fight 50 meters from them . . . just sit still had die less than a minute later.

the xvm mod only manages to provide accurate data regarding if a player fights or is a passive bystander/bot/xp-credit leach. nothing else.
    what do you mean buy new dice !?!?
    just because this one rolled a 1 on a d20 7 times in a row...

8. - Top - End - #548
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    *Takes his beloved SU-26 and goes to hide in a corner of the map*
    no no no. be proud!!

SU-26 rocks

lately I get more thanks for being arty and helping team mates - while a lot of players are pissed off at useless heavy tankers.

Nothing better than responding to a "HELP!" with destroying the enemy

9. - Top - End - #549

Quote Originally Posted by Shurz View Post
    lately I get more thanks for being arty and helping team mates - while a lot of players are pissed off at useless heavy tankers.
    It does feel nice to be useful, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, I sometimes end up going to far and it loops back around to my team complaining -- that I'm not leaving anything for them to kill.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I second this statement wholeheartedly.

With full camo skills, you can even take potshots from the bushes like the Hetzer and stay hidden.
    A friend tested this with his Hellcat - 100% crew(10% bonus from commander), 100% camo skill whole crew, camo net(25%), 100% brothers in arms(10% all skills) as long as he was sitting still he was invisible - even to tanks less than 2 Minimap squares away on Malinovka. He wasn't even spotted when firing.
    They did see him when he moved, but using short movement bursts they never managed to figure out his exact location.

Effective for light tanks as well

11. - Top - End - #551
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

It does feel nice to be useful, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, I sometimes end up going to far and it loops back around to my team complaining -- that I'm not leaving anything for them to kill.
    they should be happy - they get half the credits and half the xp for 0 ammo cost. What's there not to like?

If you play in an arty platoon, you can make a walking barrage which can be great fun. Also, scouts love it when you have pre aimed in front of them for targets to be detected. Obviously depends on map.

One thing that no one expects - is for arty to relocate across the map to a new location from which to dig out the enemy. Tends to get one the occasional unfriendly enemy team comment

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Had a neat game in my SU-8. Erlenberg, standard battle. we start in SW. Almost all of our team goes up the west side, almost all of their team goes down the east side. Seeing the flow, I reposition behind our strong flank in the NW corner behind the hills, which gives me a good angle to get a couple of kills on enemies not expecting arty from that direction. We're leading going into the end, but their T28 TD sweeps up 3 of our last tanks, so that it's him against me and our own T28 who has been sniping from the castle.

Our T28 has 14%, theirs has 4% and is hiding in the buildings on our side of the map, just south of the middle bridge. Standoff because whoever gets hit first probably dies. I tell the T28 to keep him pinned while I get a better angle, so I travel across the north bridge and turn out into the field. I turn around with just seconds left in the game, take aim behind the building I know he's hiding behind. He moves just enough to light up for second before disappearing again, and he's on the move. I let off a blind shot in his direction of travel. One of the enemies watching all this posts a taunt about us "camping" just as my shot kills their T28 with 2 seconds left on the clock.

And now a rant about stupid people who believe that just because you're on the defense side of an assault, you can camp in your starting location. Most of the people now at least get that you have to go down to the rail in Prokhorovka, but I keep getting really strong resistance to the idea of forward defense in Malinovka.

It's pretty simple, if the attackers seize the advance observation points like the tree grove just south of the hill town, they can spot anybody sniping from the hill for others to kill easily, and you just get worn down until the odds are so much in their favor there's no doubt about the outcome.

However, if you move down in decent strength to hold those scout points and fire as the attackers advance, they never get a chance to build a coherent assault. So many times, I'll be on the flank that does this, and we'll have killed 5 or 6 of the enemy with minimal casualties while the other flank just collapses, leaving not only the hill vulnerable, but letting them hit our flank from the side as well.

The times on attack when I know we're in trouble is when the defenders get down the hill fast enough to pick off our fast advancers before the rest of the force can catch up and regroup. That's why my message to my team on offense is always "regroup at bottom of hill before advancing". When we do that, we have a decent chance at victory.

I'm really curious, though, if anybody has compiled any decent stats on the Assault Mode. It's definitely the mode that most exposes the weaknesses of tankers and their ability to work in a team. On the other hand, when your team does know what it's doing, the victory is extra sweet.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

13. - Top - End - #553

Quote Originally Posted by Shurz View Post
    Also, scouts love it when you have pre aimed in front of them for targets to be detected. Obviously depends on map.
    Oh yes. It's rare, but sometimes I do get a competent scout I can follow around dropping shells at anyone who looks at him funny. The best part is that since he's usually trolling behind enemy lines, I get my choice of rear armor targets as people turn to aim at him.

EDIT (to avoid double-posting)

Finally got Panther II. I've been saving up free XP for the past month to immediately pick up the best turret/gun for it.

Holy crap does it feel nice to be able to do damage again.
    Last edited by Maxymiuk; 2012-09-11 at 09:13 AM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Finally got Panther II. I've been saving up free XP for the past month to immediately pick up the best turret/gun for it.
    ahhh, but that's debatable...some swear by the super 75, some prefer the 88
    which side do you fall on?
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

15. - Top - End - #555

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    ahhh, but that's debatable...some swear by the super 75, some prefer the 88
    which side do you fall on?
    I've had my fill of the 7,5 with the tier 7 Panther. The damage on it is just too low: either the enemy takes a couple shots and retreats, or you get involved in a prolonged exchange of fire -- the last possible thing a (German) medium tank wants to get involved in.

8,8 all the way.

16. - Top - End - #556

RogueGuy

The problem with the 88/71 that I've discovered is that it takes an ungodly long time to aim. So long that if I want to make an aimed shot, I practically have to be camping, because I can't roll up from a turret down position, take a shot and go back in a reasonable amount of time.

17. - Top - End - #557

OldWizardGuy

Wow, nerfhammer really hit those soviet tds' on the second public test. Tier 7, 8 and 9 all lost the top guns. Currently the tier 8 td has whopping 219 penetration in it's top gun, which will struggle against even some tier 8 tanks at long range. German 75/L70 has 150 penetration at the moment, does anyone want to guess how long it takes for WG to remove that gun from Stug?

18. - Top - End - #558
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'm betting we're going to see a return to more realistic tanks...especially with actual historic tanks. The new physics package would preclude the extra large guns and turrets dangling off the current hulls.

The PzIV is a perfect example, the Darth Vader turret would never have fit and if they jammed it in the tank would tip over on any kind of incline due to the raised center of gravity.

Frankly, reducing the overall penetration capability of all the tanks will force more movement instead of the peek-a-boo we have where every shot by high-tier tanks penetrate all tanks frontally. If they lower the penetration then more tanks of equal tiers become harder to kill frontally, which means that faster medium tanks and flanking manuvers become much more important....a trend I whole heartedly agree with.
    I''ll stop now as I'm getting an itch in that black hole I call a conscious

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, nerfhammer really hit those soviet tds' on the second public test. Tier 7, 8 and 9 all lost the top guns. Currently the tier 8 td has whopping 219 penetration in it's top gun, which will struggle against even some tier 8 tanks at long range. German 75/L70 has 150 penetration at the moment, does anyone want to guess how long it takes for WG to remove that gun from Stug?
    Does that mean they're going to touch the 90mm for my M18?

SSSSSSSssssssss, my precious.

20. - Top - End - #560

Huh. Well, I guess it's to be expected; ISU's gun was kind of ridiculous for its tier. Still, I'm sad to never have gotten to play with it. Reducing penetration is all fine and good but I really wish they'd get rid of gold ammo; it's pretty trivial to penetrate equal tiers with those anyways.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

21. - Top - End - #561

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Huh. Well, I guess it's to be expected; ISU's gun was kind of ridiculous for its tier. Still, I'm sad to never have gotten to play with it. Reducing penetration is all fine and good but I really wish they'd get rid of gold ammo; it's pretty trivial to penetrate equal tiers with those anyways.
    Sorry, I wrote my text badly. They nerfed the new soviet tank destroyers which are in the test now. The old ones are as they were, ISU still having it's nuke cannon.

22. - Top - End - #562

Sorry, I wrote my text badly. They nerfed the new soviet tank destroyers which are in the test now. The old ones are as they were, ISU still having it's nuke cannon.
    Ah, nevermind then. I did hear they were ridiculously strong so I guess it might be warranted. Ah well, we'll see. 219 penetration on tier 8 tho? That's lower than in IS-3...

23. - Top - End - #563

Teamed up as a pair of SU-26's with a friend last night and got my first piece of hate mail for the trouble. The content was nothing special - badly spelled accusations of cheating and homosexuality, and uncomplimentary remarks about my mother - but the very fact that I got it warmed the cockles of my heart. After all, if they're angry at you, you must be doing something right.

The only thing I regret is that I have no idea what I did to earn that particular individual's wrath - I only noticed the message half an hour after receiving it, but my best guess is it was someone from a game on Cliff. My top three picks would be:

A T-127 premium who I one-shotted after slowly walking my fire towards his position, blowing up three other tanks along the way - you'd think he'd have noticed the pattern.
    A T-28 who broke through the west road and started capping our base. At this point I was hiding in the bushes on the top of the cliff, so I dropped a shell on his engine for 268 damage and set him on fire, and then finished him off with another shot
    An allied StPzII which tked my friend at the start of the match because he wanted his spot in the bushes. Then he started aiming at me, but I was a bit faster on the draw.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    And now a rant about stupid people who believe that just because you're on the defense side of an assault, you can camp in your starting location. Most of the people now at least get that you have to go down to the rail in Prokhorovka, but I keep getting really strong resistance to the idea of forward defense in Malinovka.
    Something you need to realise on WoT is that once people have figured out that A is effective, it means that everyone must do A. Even if A starts losing to B if too many people do it at once.

That's why you sometimes get entire teams up the hill on Himmelsdorf (especially on Encounter, because they know that going up the hill works. But really you don't need the whole team to go up the hill, you need one more guy than the other team so that you can take the hill and then go back down the other side to flank the defenders at the park. But whilst you do that you need enough force to hold the park so the enemy don't push through you and flank your guys taking the base, and enough guys to keep the base contested so the enemy don't just cap it without contest (which I've seen more than once).

Malinovka assault is similar. You need the best guns camping the hill whilst everyone else moves forwards in groups to spot the enemy coming in so the snipers can splat them. (Last game I had of that as attacker we won because I ground up the right flank in my H35, encountering no more than one enemy at a time, who invariably shot at me and my 40mm armour rather than any of the four guys following me with their cardboard and tin armour.)

25. - Top - End - #565

Pretty happy right now. Every single relevant tech tree done up to Tier 5 except for the French Heavies (which will have to wait for the next 5x). Got 4/5 VKs on sale (excluding VK3001 (H) which I don't see any reason to get; skipped the whole PzIII line) and now SU-100. And now I'm all outta XP and credits that Tiger (P) and Tiger are on sale; too fast pace
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-09-15 at 08:40 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566

3 Easy steps to getting Steel Wall and Sniper in KV-1: 19, 18, 17
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

27. - Top - End - #567

RogueGuy

Well, I was witness to an amazing match for my friend earlier today. On the Abbey map, my E-75 and my friend's T95 ended up taking down 13 of the 15 opposing team members before the match ended up in a draw. I took down 3 of them before succumbing to a flanking assault, and my friend took out a personal record of 10 foes before time ran out.

The last enemy was an arty that rightfully hid from the T95's wrath. I imagine that had we won the match, my friend would have gotten his ace tanker badge on the T95. Sadly, matches like these reinforce my belief that outside of my friends/clanmates, no one can be counted upon to carry their own weight in a battle.

The other interesting T9 match I've had over the last couple days was Prokhovoka Assault with myself on the attacking team alongside my platoon of a T95 and IS-8. The three of us head to the south while the rest of the team heads north or center. As some of the guys who went center start to cross over and get themselves obliterated, I notice that the southern crossing has a mere Jagdtiger on defense, at least within the passive spotting distance. So I utter the fatal "over the top!" and the IS-8 and I go charging over the crossing.

For once, however, I had called it correctly. The Jagdtiger was quickly taken out and the enemy only had a T29 and SuperPershing covering the area in backstop positions. Sure, the enemy team in the center turned around to attack us, but that gave the rest of the team in the north to rally and push over. Although I was down to 40ish health out of my starting 1920, I still survived with a partially exploded ammo rack, two wrecked tracks, smashed vision slits and a leaking fuel tank (Thus earning me my 9th Bilotte Medal). Sadly, the IS-8 didn't fare as well.

28. - Top - End - #568

Aside from the Attack on Campanova i have had a good run today with my Marder - 21 kills in 5 battles, 2 Topguns and a Halonen's Award
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

29. - Top - End - #569
    Barbarian in the Playground

I keep having oddly good matches in my Tier-III French TD, whatever the hell it's called.
    Not uncommon to have a 4-6 kill game, even managed an eight kill game last night. Low-tier players suck.

It is always hilarious to see a three-man platoon of Marders, all with a clan-tag in a tier-III capped match. They come in expecting easy prey and I kill off 2/3 of them while wading through enemies that somehow have a hard time hitting me because I'm TINY!
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

30. - Top - End - #570

Quote Originally Posted by psilontech View Post
    I keep having oddly good matches in my Tier-III French TD, whatever the hell it's called.
    Not uncommon to have a 4-6 kill game, even managed an eight kill game last night. Low-tier players suck.

It is always hilarious to see a three-man platoon of Marders, all with a clan-tag in a tier-III capped match. They come in expecting easy prey and I kill off 2/3 of them while wading through enemies that somehow have a hard time hitting me because I'm TINY!
    It's also that most of them are playing 50% crew tanks with inaccurate guns so they kinda shoot wherever they happen to