New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

Well, I got my T34 yesterday...

On the upside: I really, really like the tank - it doesn't feel slow (not fast either, but not much slower than a T29), the gun hits like a freight train and is surprisingly accurate despite the sizable reticle.

On the downside: I dunno what's wrong with me today but I'm playing terribly. I managed to play so poorly in one round that I would have *lost money* were I not Premium at the moment.

I'm not sure why I'm doing so badly, the T34 is everything I hoped it would be, and I usually do quite well in my T29, so why I'm getting my tail kicked so hard is beyond me to fathom at the moment.

Also free-XPed my way through the A13 to get the Crusader. So far, I love the Crusader. It's got the LL Churchill's gun as it's top gun, which means against other lights/mediums it's just murderous.

I dropped the Valentine line for now as well, since I'm enjoying the Matilda quite a bit more* and they both lead to the same place (for now).

Also, starting to pick artillery back up, this time starting the Russian line. Probably won't get particularly far with it as I find myself increasingly annoyed with artillery inaccuracy these days; but it's a nice change of pace.

Finally... I love 5x XP - I'm nearly to the T-34-85 now (yay!), and I'm getting close to the Panther as well; can't wait for both of those tanks; though I'll have a lot of credit grinding in the near future for either of them <X_X> I'll manage it though.

*The Valentine has the LL Churchill 6pdr as it's main gun as well; however the fire rate if halved, which takes it from "low but consistent damage buzzsaw" to "mediocre averageness". By contrast the Matlida's 2pdr is a lot like the T-34's 57mm, very very fast, good penetration for it's tier, and quite accurate as well. I grant the Matilda and Valentine are both sluggish as heck... but so is the Churchill they lead to, so that's not really too big a deal.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

Shot a Sheriff (ended his Killing spree as well)
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mistformsquirrl View Post
    Also, starting to pick artillery back up, this time starting the Russian line. Probably won't get particularly far with it as I find myself increasingly annoyed with artillery inaccuracy these days; but it's a nice change of pace.
    You would love the SU-26.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

I do indeed, I just got it late last night and good gravy that thing is pinpoint accurate <@.@> I may just keep it around after I've finished leveling through it!

5. - Top - End - #785

Make sure to use the second HE shells with the 122mm
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll have to remember to switch over; I didn't realize anyone other than the Germans had multiple HE shells. Good information to have, thanks!

7. - Top - End - #787
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'm still enjoying WoT, but I realize that it needs something more. Clan wars sounds like a step in the right direction, however, it seems to be dominated by a dozen large clans and most everyone else is shut out of it.

I would like my battles to count for something. Even if it was like the Alliances in Age of Empire Online. You join an alliance and everything you do helps gather resourses for that alliance and evenutally you are rewarded for your participation by the WoT equivilent of gold.

I would like to take it a step farther and have random company battles that are pulled from your alliance. Example.

1. You pick a region of the world and there would be three for four "operations". Each operation would have a Tier level consistent with MM that you could join.

2. You joined the battle, which is random, and your team is filled with those from your "alliance"

3. You fight, winning team gets points. After a week, 2 weeks, whatever, that area is closed and the winning alliance gets 70% of the "gold" and each invidual gets an amount based on participation. Same with losing side

4. you could keep progressing, starting at Morocco in North Africa for example and if they win they move East. If they lose they are forced off for a period of time. Take an entire theater of operations and that alliance gets extra bonus gold.

Something like that would get more players to buy in I would think...and spread out the gold farming that is currently being done by a minority of the entire WoT players.

I'll take my royalty check now.

on a side note, now that I've finally mounted the 90mm the M6 isn't so terribad for me. My win rate is still 43%, but I'm able to damage others so my points are starting to build at a somewhat acceptable rate. Another 30k exp or so I should be into my T29.

I haven't been playing my E-75. I'm only 16k exp or so from getting the upgraded turret, but with everyone now buying gold rounds you don't even bounce with the good armor, which has sapped my reason for playing that credit sucking beast.
    Last edited by Jonzac; 2012-11-06 at 08:58 AM.
    I''ll stop now as I'm getting an itch in that black hole I call a conscious

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzac View Post
    I'm still enjoying WoT, but I realize that it needs something more. Clan wars sounds like a step in the right direction, however, it seems to be dominated by a dozen large clans and most everyone else is shut out of it.

I would like my battles to count for something. Even if it was like the Alliances in Age of Empire Online. You join an alliance and everything you do helps gather resourses for that alliance and evenutally you are rewarded for your participation by the WoT equivilent of gold.

I would like to take it a step farther and have random company battles that are pulled from your alliance. Example.

1. You pick a region of the world and there would be three for four "operations". Each operation would have a Tier level consistent with MM that you could join.

2. You joined the battle, which is random, and your team is filled with those from your "alliance"

3. You fight, winning team gets points. After a week, 2 weeks, whatever, that area is closed and the winning alliance gets 70% of the "gold" and each invidual gets an amount based on participation. Same with losing side

4. you could keep progressing, starting at Morocco in North Africa for example and if they win they move East. If they lose they are forced off for a period of time. Take an entire theater of operations and that alliance gets extra bonus gold.

Something like that would get more players to buy in I would think...and spread out the gold farming that is currently being done by a minority of the entire WoT players.

I'll take my royalty check now.
    Personally, I'm just waiting for historical battles with historical weapons.

9. - Top - End - #789

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Personally, I'm just waiting for historical battles with historical weapons.
    Im waiting for that (a great part if it is waiting to see the reaction of someone i know who also wants it only likely discover that all his favorite tanks wont be applicable as they are not historical ~ Lot of Blueprint Tanks in his garage)
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

10. - Top - End - #790
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

I doubt they will ever do a long term historical game as that would never go above Tier 5 or 6, especially for Americans. The Russians would have the KV3 and IS3, Germans the KT and Tiger, Panther...Americans..maybe the M36 Jackson and M18, no heavy tanks though unless you go all the way to M48...in which case the Russian just got better with T34-85 and T-54 and T-62

11. - Top - End - #791
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, i was just playing my KV-IS (grinding for my IS, of course.) and what happened was the best game i've ever had.

The map was Siegfried line, an encounter battle. i was in the top tier for the battle(Along with a Churchill VII).

I got nine kills.(KV-IS KV-1 Churchill I T-34-38 StugIII PzIV M4A3E8 M4A4E2 M7 Priest)

I won the game effectively single-handily (as i was the last member of our team alive towards the end.)

So happy.

I might edit in the story of the battle later if anyone's curious, but i really just wanted to share the best game i ever had and probably ever will have in world of tanks.

The only sad part is that this wasn't my x2 battle.
    Last edited by Aragehaor; 2012-11-06 at 02:17 PM.
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

12. - Top - End - #792
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Go ahead were there epic last battle with very little hp remaining against ace of opposing team?

13. - Top - End - #793

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    Go ahead were there epic last battle with very little hp remaining against ace of opposing team?
    Not exactly, the 'epic battle' against the ace of the opposing team (the other KV-IS incidentally - who had gotten seven kills.) ended earlier when i flanked and finished him off (Unfortunately i arrived a bit too late to save my allies who had been engaging him and his group)

Anyways, The game starts - and the majority of my team with the exception of the Churchill VII (And about three or four meds and a TD) chooses to head towards the fields. I decide to head to the base in town, I run into a T-28, i take aim and fire.

Miss.

Not a great start, still - the T-28 runs off and gets destroyed by a Med that decided to come as well. I move forward while in cover to see if any more tanks are coming and find the StugIII and PzIV just about to turn the corner, i fire and destroy the StugIII. The PzIV takes a shot at me, bounces and backs up, while reloading my gun i notice that the field forces have gotten close to being wiped out, and the churchill and 2 meds and a TD need help.

So i charge forward at the PzIV and fire, knocking him down to 3% and then finish him off with a light ram. i then turn around and head back through the city to support my allies.

As i arrive the Churchill, TD, and one of the meds are just getting finished off - i flank and destroy the KV-IS, and then bolt to behind the small building nearby i turn my turret around behind me in an effort to be prepared if they try to follow behind me. The M4A4E2 charges around the corner just as i finish reloading and dies, remaining in cover (as now im currently fighting alone) while i reload.

I finish reloading and charge around the corner and kill a Churchill.

Having been abandoned by the enemy mediums (who left in favor of attacking the last surviving med who engaged and drew off the meds* from the group of tanks I was fighting while our arty and our TD have their own problems) i leave my cover to support my allied med, coming around the corner i charge in the middle of the firing line between the (now heavily damage) med and the M4A3E8 - i aim and fire.

Miss.

Now, this miss surprised me moreso then the first - as when i fired i didn't even see the shell leave the barrel like normal - no ground was struck and it didn't say it bounced somehow. It was just... gone.

I reloaded my gun and then fired again - the M4A3E8 having not moved and instead choosing to kill my last ally while i reloaded (At this point in the battle i cant say i noticed where the T-34-85 had run off to. and I'm actually pretty curious as to what it was doing while i was reloading here) - I hit, and the M4A3E8 dies As i finish reloading the M7 Priest comes out of the bushes and stops to shoot me - i fire and destroy it and start to look for the T-34-85.

I find him by going around a in the town once my gun had finished reloading, He hits me and takes me down to half health and hides behind the next corner before i can fire. I turn around and charge in a vague effort to flank the T-34-85 (or at least avoid being hit again, though i could survive another shot.) The T-34-85 it seems had the same idea, and i killed him before he could get away or fire at me.

At this point in the battle i have eight kills and finally notice that the Arty/TD died quite some time ago (I believe it was when i killed the Churchill actually that they died, though i cant say for sure as i was rather focused on the enemies in town) All the enemy team has left now however is a lone KV-1, i start heading for the flag having no idea where it could be and find it while traveling through the town - i fire, destroy it and the game ends with our teams victory.

So yeah, perhaps not the best tale of tension and heroics(and probably not even close to being the best tale of skill either) - but its certainly the best i have!

*At least, i think that is what occurred, though i have absolutely no idea where the T-34-85 was when i killed the Churchill

EDIT: Unrelated, but should i get a VK 3601 (H) or a VK 3001 (P)? I have both researched but I'm quite uncertain which branch of german heavy tanks i like better.

EDIT2: so i took a break after that victory and when i came back i decided to play my T1 heavy, Got into a game with the highest tier being seven. Ended the match alive and with five kills.(and a quite a few damaged)

Best. Day. Ever. (for world of tanks.)

i'll stop bothering you all with my happiness in this regard though.
    Last edited by Aragehaor; 2012-11-06 at 06:51 PM.
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

14. - Top - End - #794

53 Battles to go for my Marder before they get upsized to JPanther Crew
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ettin in the Playground

I doubt they will ever do a long term historical game as that would never go above Tier 5 or 6, especially for Americans. The Russians would have the KV3 and IS3, Germans the KT and Tiger, Panther...Americans..maybe the M36 Jackson and M18, no heavy tanks though unless you go all the way to M48...in which case the Russian just got better with T34-85 and T-54 and T-62
    So what if it'll never go to the higher tiers?

It might make the game more accessible to those who don't invest a lot of time in the game or prefer the lower tier battles to begin with. With tanks in their historical configuration though, you'll see armour suddenly become more important, since the historical guns are also those with lower penetration and damage. (Top guns tend to be experimental or unusable configuration in real life.)

KV-1 would be nigh impossible to touch in such a game. As it should be.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

True, but the problem with KV-1 and such is the "historical" solution is unavailable....and that is the Anti-Tank Gun. Specifically the 88mm Flak gun, heck even the Pak 75 would pen KV-1s.

The other problem with historical is the fact that in real life one (or two at max) penetrations would mean a dead tank and that is most definately not the case in WoT.

17. - Top - End - #797

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aragehaor View Post
    EDIT: Unrelated, but should i get a VK 3601 (H) or a VK 3001 (P)? I have both researched but I'm quite uncertain which branch of german heavy tanks i like better.
    Nice war story, we can use some life in this thread

About VK36 and VK30P, the first one is considered as a better tank overall, but if you are interested only in the heavies, I'd suggest going to VK30P. You can later branch out to both lines from Tiger P, which is a lot better vehicle then ordinary Tiger.

So much going on in WoT, next patch supposedly includes American autoloader line with meds and heavies, German meds and TDs and French meds and heavies. Just like how many times I had to use the word "and". Here I haven't even reached tier 6 on the Brits.

And Chinese tree announced to boot.

Edit: argh, they cut back some content.
    Last edited by darksolitaire; 2012-11-08 at 06:36 AM.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Colossus in the Playground

Tiger (P) is also a much cheaper way to research Tiger than VK3601 so I'd definitely go that route (you can't research Tiger (P) from Tiger on the other hand). That said, just get 'em both eventually; you know you want to.

Technically you could research Ferdi from Tiger (P) too but that's so expensive I can't see it being worth it especially since the German TD line has so many good vehicles (even JagdPzIV is okay after the last buff) and it's much cheaper that way and that opens up JadgPanther II too.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

19. - Top - End - #799

So much going on in WoT, next patch supposedly includes American autoloader line with meds and heavies
    They look like a Fusion of American and French tanks which means they are obscenely ugly.

The thing i want to know is that when the TD line for the Brits comes along is a) the Archer going to be in it and b) will it possibly kill your driver if you try to shoot on the move
    Last edited by Leon; 2012-11-07 at 10:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ettin in the Playground

True, but the problem with KV-1 and such is the "historical" solution is unavailable....and that is the Anti-Tank Gun. Specifically the 88mm Flak gun, heck even the Pak 75 would pen KV-1s.

The other problem with historical is the fact that in real life one (or two at max) penetrations would mean a dead tank and that is most definately not the case in WoT.
    The invincible reputation of the KV-1 came mainly due to the fact that the German Army at the time was ill equipped with anti-tank weaponry. I mean they had for most part PzIIIs with 37mm/50mm cannon and similar caliber towed guns. Early PzIV with the short 75mm wasn't particularly impressive either.

The 88mm isn't quite needed to knock out the KV-1 in WW2. It was simply the most expedient solution to the tank. Long barrelled 75mm PzIV could penetrate the tank from the sides at combat ranges and frontally if closed to knife range. Later German tanks like the Panther and Tiger rendered the armour on the KV tanks redundant.

So, any historical battle in WoT would be somewhere in 1943-1945, when the tank designs on both Axis and Allies have somewhat equalised. Gameplay-wise it is doable by just limiting the battle to Tier IV-VI tanks (except Germany, whose late WWII tanks were put a tier higher than the rest.), and locking the configuration to their historical counterpart. Gameplay balance can be achieved by varying the number and types of tanks on each side. (Germans could field Tiger I/II, but only in very limited numbers. Allies might get APCR rounds to compensate. Probably more players on their side too. Stuff like that.)

And Chinese tree announced to boot.
    How does a Chinese tree even work?

21. - Top - End - #801

OldWizardGuy

How does a Chinese tree even work?
    Nabbing tanks from others, apparently. Higher tiers are versions from russian tanks *linkety link*.

edit: bad link at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    The thing i want to know is that when the TD line for the Brits comes along is a) the Archer going to be in it and
    SPG and TD lines are said to come in "8.2+", which can mean 8.3 or anything behind it.

b) will it possibly kill your driver if you try to shoot on the move
    I'd hate to be driver in that thing.
    Last edited by darksolitaire; 2012-11-07 at 10:38 AM.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Colossus in the Playground

So, any historical battle in WoT would be somewhere in 1943-1945, when the tank designs on both Axis and Allies have somewhat equalised. Gameplay-wise it is doable by just limiting the battle to Tier IV-VI tanks (except Germany, whose late WWII tanks were put a tier higher than the rest.), and locking the configuration to their historical counterpart. Gameplay balance can be achieved by varying the number and types of tanks on each side. (Germans could field Tiger I/II, but only in very limited numbers. Allies might get APCR rounds to compensate. Probably more players on their side too. Stuff like that.)
    Well, USSR too; IS-tanks were kind of a big part of the war, and ISU was a quite numerous tank destroyer. USSR needs IS-2, T-34-85 and ISU-152 for 1944-fights.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ogre in the Playground

Technically speaking, the US could have the Pershing - it was used in WWII, not much at all, but it did see a tiny bit of action.
    -----

On an unrelated note: My Matilda is starting to drive me insane.

On the one hand, it's got a fantastic gun for it's tier, low damage but great penetration and accuracy. The armor on the tank is also quite good, so it's got that going for it.

On the other hand it's very slow... 24kph slow. So while I find it superb once it gets into combat, it's pathetically difficult to actually GET to combat a lot of the time.

Also problematic is that while it's armor is good for it's tier... Tier IV battles are exceedingly rare, and Tier V and VI's can easily punch through it's armor without a second thought; so very often assuming I can even get to the fight, it's pretty difficult to do anything beyond "get off a few rounds and then explode violently".

It's kinda like the AMX40 - Amazing within it's own tier; terribly outclassed by anything above that tier. (Maybe not quite as bad as the AMX40 though)

24. - Top - End - #804

Flumph

Nabbing tanks from others, apparently. Higher tiers are versions from russian tanks *linkety link*.

They're all nicked from others. The Type 62 (WZ131) is the only home grown design in their whole tree. (The Type 95 Chi-Ha is a Japanese tank).

25. - Top - End - #805

So, I decided to finally try out World of Tanks today, and have spent quite some time playing on the European server today.

First, I had some success with the Leicthtraktor (sp?), which I upgraded completely. Stashed a good amount of silver which I then spent on a Panzerjäger 1 with full 75% crew (was that worth it?).

I immediately hated the Jäger due to the fact that you really want to hide out somewhere and camp, but the lack of turret (I presume) makes actually aiming and leading on moving targets almost impossible. I probably didn't help that I got thrown into some new maps at this point. I kinda like the slow, heavy hitting gun on it compared to the upgraded ones on the 'traktor.

After getting more matches under my belt, and completing the upgrades, the Jäger is becoming more enjoyable. I still despise the lack of turret, and I feel like the games a somewhat prone to dragging into a match of "Who blinks first?" which you really can't afford to do when you are a TD.

Anyway, suggestions on what I should unlock or try out next, or any tips for a beginner? Also, what should one do about crew when buying a new tank? Should you always buy a new crew with each new tank?
    English is not my first language, but feel free to correct me.

Character sheets:
    Telim, Wilton, Aron and Eric

26. - Top - End - #806

Quote Originally Posted by Dada View Post
    Anyway, suggestions on what I should unlock or try out next, or any tips for a beginner? Also, what should one do about crew when buying a new tank? Should you always buy a new crew with each new tank?
    I move my crews up into new tanks as I advance up the trees. If I decide to keep a tank, I train a new crew for it and send its crew to the next one. This becomes relevant later when you reach 100% crew and get secondary skills; unlike the primary skill, secondaries don't get a penalty when the crewmen are retrained for a new tank, and it's very useful to have them in your highest tiers.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

27. - Top - End - #807

You'll probably be much more comfortable in traditional tanks (Mediums, Heavies) if that's the impression that the Tier II TD left with you despite that my favorite tier threes are tank destroyers. (The American T82 and German Marder)

The lower-tiered Soviet tanks are generally pretty good. The BT series is a hoot to play.

Aiming for Mid-tier and higher, the Soviets are pretty well off. The tier-five KV-1 is fantastic and leads to the 'whoever has more will probably win' tier-six KV-1s.

I can't really endorse the American tree for a beginner.

The Germans suffered from a huge nerf over the past few patches. The PzIV used to be something to aim for, now it is largely forgettable.

Lower-tier French tanks are, to put it mildly, horribly painful.

I don't have enough experience in the British line yet to give any useful advice on that front.
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

28. - Top - End - #808
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

dont know about mid/high tier brits...but the low tier brits are fun

they just rip into everything

its why i have retired my mini-maus for the foreseeable future...it dominated low tiers due to its armor..but now with td's being allowed in t2 battles and hordes of brits able to pen with every shot it just aint worth it
    (yet they still upcount it in t2 and t3 battles)
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

Agreed with Renegade Paladin on the crew thing.

As for what to try out next; that really depends on your interests. That said, if you like the idea of being a Tank Destroyer, but really hate not having a turret, the US has a turreted TD line which I enjoyed quite a bit; particularly the M18 Hellcat, which is ungodly fast, has a turret, and a big 90mm gun.

So I'd consider that if you're really wanting the TD playstyle and a turret to go with it.

Just an idea anyhow.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

The cruiser tanks in the British line are currently considered OP, so you might want to get onto that bandwagon before they nerf it to the ground.