New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    yeah...well...aussies are just plain weird
    I'd reckon the greater bulk of us stayed on the NA server.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Scouts are definitely not for everyone. They require more situational awareness than other tank types (bar artillery, but arty is more of where and when to support, and when to retreat), and extensive map knowledge (and mechanics). Add that to that fact that they're so fragile and their weapons barely scratch high tiers... well, yeah.
    I find that imagining that my tank will blow up if I slow down below 30mph or humming Yakety Sax a great help in getting into the mindset of driving a scout.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I'd reckon the greater bulk of us stayed on the NA server.
    Out of curiosity, what's the ping like for you?

In other news, the Matilda has officially grown on me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Battle Achievements were Steel Wall, Top Gun, Invader and the Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Yes, the damage may be a bit anaemic, but if they can't penetrate your armour, who cares?

Over the course of that game I took 34 hits, which runs a close second to another game I had in the Matilda - I forget the number of hits I took, but I picked up the Cool Headed medal (survive at least 10 ricochets and non-penetrations in a row).
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2013-01-27 at 10:06 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Yes, the damage may be a bit anaemic, but if they can't penetrate your armour, who cares?
    It isn't even bad. It does good damage, it just relies on reload speed and penetration rather than alpha. Which is pretty good in a Tier IV KV, especially once you install Spall Liner and begin to shrug off non-HEAT Arty.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2013-01-27 at 10:06 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    It isn't even bad. It does good damage, it just relies on reload speed and penetration rather than alpha. Which is pretty good in a Tier IV KV, especially once you install Spall Liner and begin to shrug off non-HEAT Arty.
    Which gun do you use on your Matilda? I prefer the 2-pdr over the howitzer as my aim is a bit crap so I tend to default to centre of mass on instinct rather than aim for the weakspots.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Ettin in the Playground

Aye. The damage output is fantastic, and you will shred many tanks get caught with their pants down in the open.

6. - Top - End - #1146

Which gun do you use on your Matilda? I prefer the 2-pdr over the howitzer as my aim is a bit crap so I tend to default to centre of mass on instinct rather than aim for the weakspots.
    2-pdr, definitely. A 175damage Howitzer is not worthy. It might barely be enough to get by in a light tank but an effective heavy? No, you need the penetration. You're not mobile in the least, you can't maneuver for better shots, and 121 penetration is ridiculous on this tier.

You might just not realize how much damage you're really doing; Matilda is a slugger so you sit and shoot. 2-pdr has insane penetration & rate of fire; it does 55 damage at 28.57 shots per minute for a total of 1571,35 DPM, only 30 less than the 85mm gun on KV-1 for instance (160 * 12, it has 1600 clean). The 85mm has great alpha for its tier but far as constant damage, Matilda is amazing.

And 0.36 accuracy with a negligible aim time? Yeah, sign me up! It penetrates basically anything Matilda can face including Tier VI tanks (well, luckily armor doesn't really improve from Tier V to Tier VI) and matches any gun for damage pretty reasonably.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Ettin in the Playground

2-pdr, definitely. A 175damage Howitzer is not worthy. It might barely be enough to get by in a light tank but an effective heavy? No, you need the penetration. You're not mobile in the least, you can't maneuver for better shots, and 121 penetration is ridiculous on this tier.

You might just not realize how much damage you're really doing; Matilda is a slugger so you sit and shoot. 2-pdr has insane penetration & rate of fire; it does 55 damage at 28.57 shots per minute for a total of 1571,35 DPM, only 30 less than the 85mm gun on KV-1 for instance (160 * 12, it has 1600 clean). The 85mm has great alpha for its tier but far as constant damage, Matilda is amazing.

And 0.36 accuracy with a negligible aim time? Yeah, sign me up! It penetrates basically anything Matilda can face including Tier VI tanks (well, luckily armor doesn't really improve from Tier V to Tier VI) and matches any gun for damage pretty reasonably.
    The only downside to this is... you really have to sit out there in the open and hope no artillery shells come looking for you. Basically the cons of every fast-firing, accurate gun. In order to maximise your DPM, you basically need to have a window where you can pound away at the enemy uninterrupted.

For Tier 4 fights, you can probably do so quite safely, and maybe Tier 5 fights as well. But in tier 6? You get shredded by the nearest TD/HT/SPG as soon as you pop out to fire that machinegun of yours. Thankfully, the gun is accurate enough that you can sit back and snipe at your leisure.

8. - Top - End - #1148

The only downside to this is... you really have to sit out there in the open and hope no artillery shells come looking for you. Basically the cons of every fast-firing, accurate gun. In order to maximise your DPM, you basically need to have a window where you can pound away at the enemy uninterrupted.

For Tier 4 fights, you can probably do so quite safely, and maybe Tier 5 fights as well. But in tier 6? You get shredded by the nearest TD/HT/SPG as soon as you pop out to fire that machinegun of yours. Thankfully, the gun is accurate enough that you can sit back and snipe at your leisure.
    Mhm. I find with Spall Liner, the arty has to be pretty big to threaten you. And big arty isn't the most accurate (especially since they tend to sit in their base) so a small target like Matilda isn't necessarily high on their priority list and even if they do fire upon you, there's no guarantee they can hit you.

All that flies outta the window the second an SU-26 decides to want you dead tho. Especially if it is using HEATs. Even without tho, while it might not do much damage it'll do stupid amounts of module damage and lock you in place until you die. And Matilda isn't the fastest of tanks even in perfect condition.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Titan in the Playground

While we're on the subject of British tanks, I find the entire tree in general to be somewhat quirky, from the Heavy tank masquerading as a Light (Valentine), to the fact that almost every British tank has a rear view mirror on the right hand side.

10. - Top - End - #1150

Out of curiosity, what's the ping like for you?
    250ms is a Standard day.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ettin in the Playground

While we're on the subject of British tanks, I find the entire tree in general to be somewhat quirky, from the Heavy tank masquerading as a Light (Valentine), to the fact that almost every British tank has a rear view mirror on the right hand side.
    We all know everyone drives on the right side.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Silent in this thread, eh?

Victory!
    Battle: Murovanka 29. tammikuuta 2013 11:56:36
    Vehicle: T71
    Experience received: 4*170 (x2 for the first victory each day)
    Credits received: 49*026
    Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

Spoilered for shameless self-promotion which is not to be taken seriously. Tl;dr, it was good game for me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Encounter battle, pines were roaring in the heights, green team were moaning in the south spawn, and enemy tanks blazed with light.

At the end I was fighting alone against 4 enemies, Tiger, IS, AMX 12t and Lorraine 155 50, with only 175 hp remaining. At that point, dead players from both teams were exchanging gg's, yelling "Kurwa!" and blaming noobs. The game was pretty much settled in their minds.

So, knowing that they have little chance of catching slippery the T71, enemies proceed towards capping area, knowing that I'm on the opposing side of the map, because I just killed Tiger(P) there some time ago. When I destroyed him there was still one of our arties alive, which is why I didn't get a Kolobanov. Thanks to him I know that enemies are near the "normal" south base, and drive near the tower, in C2.

Tiger reaches the cap first, and decides to drive to the north edge of the circle, in which point I drove forward from the bushes and emptied my magazine on him, killing him. Enemies didn't obviously expect me to appear, so their arty wasn't pre-aimed and I escape with my life. At this point, some of the enemy team starts to advice their mates...without forgetting to toggle it back to their team chat. "AMX go scout!"

So, I'm driving away in C3/D3 towards the city, counting seconds until magazine reloads (thanks to J1mB0's Crosshair Mod). AMX 12t appears near the location where I was moments ago, appearing on the ridge against the horizon ("did you even finish the army?"). He has traveled too far from IS, who can't support him. I turn and Finnish him off with two shots, and proceed to reload again.

At this point there's a chance in the background banter. While I drive trough the 3-line, in the cover of hills towards south, I'm hoping to catch something off-guard. Red line on the HUD tells me that there is one tank capping the base; IS.

As I resurface in H2, I immediately spot Lorraine 155 50 in J1, partially hiding behind the house. I manage to fire 3 quick shots sending him to scurry in shelter. I proceed south to J1, and pick him up again; he misjudged where I was going to go and drove too far back. 2 more shots and down he goes. Red capping bar at the top didn't even flinch. IS had abandoned his arty.

I proceed to D3/E3 back to the road I came. At this point my ammunation is running dangerously low; I'll have Finnish him with next couple of shots. In fact, only ammo type I have in full drums are high-explosive, which are used against unarmored targets and infantry, and this weird, new cartridge which fires shaped charge of molten copper to defeat armor. Sounds like hogwash, but it's supposed to be effective against armor, so I proceed to load it in.

When I catch glimpse of last remaining enemy standing between me and my prize, I notice that he's thoughts have indeed been lingering at his fallen comrade which he so cruelly abandoned; he's turned to south, eyeing the smoking wreck of an arty and admiring my handiwork. I proceed to punish him from ignoring me by unloading drum of HEAT into his side. All of them penetrate. And yet he clings to life.

As he turns to face me, I yell my awe-inspiring battle cry; "Come, show me what passes for fury among your misbegotten kind!" Then I quickly turn and flee before he can actually do so.

My taunt manages to draw him from base and into pursuit. Quite the accomplishment given that he didn't even hear it! I climb the ridge in F2, flank the crippled IS and unload one final shot into his backside.

Spoiler
    Show

That 13 in enemy kills is for our Super Pershing who killed simself.

7 kills, 3511 damage dealt. I actually ran out of normal ammo at the end so I had to use HEAT and still no ace tanker.

Edit: oh, look, A medal.

Defeat
    Battle: Murovanka 30. tammikuuta 2013 18:49:26
    Vehicle: AMX 50 120
    Experience received: 360
    Credits received: 17*271
    Battle Achievements: Ekins' Medal I Class

Took my sweet time, but my average tier is 6 so it's understandable.
    Last edited by darksolitaire; 2013-01-30 at 11:56 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1153

I was surprised that i didn't get Mastery: Ace tonight in my Black Prince.

Ended with a 1st Class, Top Gun, Steel Wall and Sniper.
    Rolled up the west side of Widepark and did over 2k damage along the way
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

14. - Top - End - #1154

OldWizardGuy

Played a series of battles with Chinese T-34. As there is competition going on with them, I decided that I'd have ace tanker before I sold the tanks.
    Spoiler
    Show

Victory!
    Battle: Ensk 31. tammikuuta 2013 19:21:57
    Vehicle: Type T-34
    Experience received: 1*356
    Credits received: 38*289
    Battle Achievements: Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

What the..? How much exp do you need to get ace tanker?!

Victory!
    Battle: Serene Coast 31. tammikuuta 2013 20:43:50
    Experience received: 1*558
    Credits received: 43*891
    Battle Achievements: Top Gun

Huh, pretty damn much it seems.

Victory!
    Battle: Sand River 31. tammikuuta 2013 21:47:04
    Experience received: 1*668
    Credits received: 47*145
    Battle Achievements: Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Yay! Finally! ...huh?

Victory!
    Battle: Ruinberg 31. tammikuuta 2013 21:54:36
    Experience received: 1*896
    Credits received: 52*458 (compensation for damage caused by allies: 660)
    Battle Achievements: Radley-Walters's Medal, Top Gun, Sniper, Master Gunner

...you're starting to creep me out

At the moment, I don't have BIA, and yet the reload time for 57mm is 1.94 seconds. I can fire ~31 shots in minute, making dpm pretty nasty. Hit ratio is 67%, which is understandable considering how I tend to spam at long ranges. I'm using Ventilation, Rammer and Toolbox, but Toolbox is suboptimal and EGL would be better. Unfortunately I didn't bother to buy another since I didn't have a spare and I believed it to be short grind.

Well, next in line is Type 58. So far 59-16 has been really poor for me.

I just sold M41 and bought M12. M41 ended wth 70% win rate, and better average exp then any of my tier 6 arty. That field of fire is so massive at that tier that it more then makes up for the bad aiming time. After 1 game I'm just amazed how well M12 accelerates.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Really you do that well with the M41? I just can't get the hang of it. I put a gammer. And 100% crew aand seem to always get the "oh that was close". Doing no damage or even module damage I can see.

I want to like arty, but I'm doing something wrong. Any youtube or tactical guides out there to learn from?
    I''ll stop now as I'm getting an itch in that black hole I call a conscious

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzac View Post
    Really you do that well with the M41? I just can't get the hang of it. I put a gammer. And 100% crew aand seem to always get the "oh that was close". Doing no damage or even module damage I can see.

I want to like arty, but I'm doing something wrong. Any youtube or tactical guides out there to learn from?
    SPG has been nerfed in the 8.3 patch and people claimed there was ninja nerfs in 8.1 and 8.2 to their accuracy as well. Certainly, the difference between 7.X SPGs and 8.X SPGs are rather noticeable.

My own SU-8 only obtained a 55% win rate (which I still keep around for lulz and lols.)

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Ettin in the Playground

Yay, Super Brawl weekend includes 50% discount to all equipment, time to stock up and finally get all of my good tanks equipped.

I still like arties, although I haven't been able to keep my win rate up with them very consistently. Mostly because there is only so much you can do in a fight with them. You are so very reliant on the rest of your team and quite a few maps just suck for them. It seems with the M41 I'm averaging 1058 damage per game. It is actually my highest played tank. I've got 4 confederates, 1 defender, (just missing top gun a few times), Master Gunner of 8, Reaper of 4, and 1 Kamikaze (which was incredibly fun).

In my garage I've also got the M12 as well as the SU-5 (which I just upgraded from the SU-26 the other day). Have to get the upper gun on the SU-5 before I can say much about it. Right now it still has the same gun as the SU-26 which was very inconsistent in damage. I would have some games where it would kill everything it hit and other games where I would do direct hits to lights for 20 damage and get bounces and 0 damage hits against things... which just shouldn't happen with an arty.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

su-5 competes with leo for worst vehicle in the game for its tier/job

the ONLY redeeming feature of the su-5 is the HIGH arc
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ettin in the Playground

Well that was fairly impressive, just got a Steel Wall in my M4A3E2 with 19 shots taken. Which in itself isn't that impressive for that tank, except that it was a T8 battle. It is one of my favorite tanks, by far my favorite medium.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    su-5 competes with leo for worst vehicle in the game for its tier/job

the ONLY redeeming feature of the su-5 is the HIGH arc
    You're forgetting the pinpoint accuracy, and very short aim time.

Yes, SU-5 is a gimped version of SU-8/SU-26 by all accounts, but it's hardly the worst. The limited ammo count hurts quite a lot though. (14 only for the top 152mm)

21. - Top - End - #1161

OldWizardGuy

Everytime I hit someone with tier 7 arty I feel like bellowing who's nerfed now! Except for German tier 10's. I just feel so bad when I hit them not bad enough to not shoot them thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzac
    You probably aren't doing as poorly as you think if M41 is your first tier 5 arty. Things to remember are using hand brake to not turn vehicle and moving aim circle as slowly as possible so that the aim doesn't expand. EGL is probably better then rammer as far as equipment is concerned.

Is there arty infestation in NA? I usually try to gauge enemy arty at the beginning of battle to determine if they can be countered. I actually don't know if the arty cap is in effect over there.

You're forgetting the pinpoint accuracy, and very short aim time.

Yes, SU-5 is a gimped version of SU-8/SU-26 by all accounts, but it's hardly the worst. The limited ammo count hurts quite a lot though. (14 only for the top 152mm)
    If you're not running out of ammo with SU-5, you're doing it wrong. Actually the thing also has large splash going for itself. SU-5 is actually very fun vehicle to play...for the first half of the battle.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    E
    If you're not running out of ammo with SU-5, you're doing it wrong. Actually the thing also has large splash going for itself. SU-5 is actually very fun vehicle to play...for the first half of the battle.
    Actually, I feel the SU-5 contributes more if it saves its ammo for softer targets like TDs or mediums. Kinda like the SU-26 now.

Oh, and be prepared to farm Fadin's on this SPG. I got 3 in my run.

23. - Top - End - #1163

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    E. I actually don't know if the arty cap is in effect over there.
    Arty Cap is everywhere. Arty Whining on the WoT forums is still as high as it has ever been

Arty has always had it tough when something gets close and the recent mobility nerfs have made that even more so - you get one chance at destroying your attacker (if even that) and then your doomed. Anyone who lests a Arty get a second shot in CQC is a idiot who deserves to explode

I have 4 Fadins on my SU-26
    Last edited by Leon; 2013-02-02 at 01:10 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Ettin in the Playground

So the equipment sale this weekend means I need to figure out what to buy. I have about 3m saved right now. Some tanks already have some equipment, some don't have any. Its probably too long of a list to say it all, so just a general idea of what I really should get. Not really sure where the general things like the ventilation and gun rammer works out better then some of the specific things like telescopes. Wondering if the improved durability tracks would be worth it for things like scouts where tracking is the difference between life and death. As much as the KV-3 (not sure how long I'll keep that anyway) and Tiger catch on fire the the tank durability might be worth while.

Pretty much have a little bit of everything in terms of tanks.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't bother getting tracks on scouts. That extra 50% durability doesn't matter when a 100+mm cannon goes through them. I'd stick with spall liners, binocs/optics and camo nets.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Ogre in the Playground

Victory!
    Battle: Airfield Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:43:44 AM
    Vehicle: PzKpfw VI Tiger
    Experience received: 3,692 (x2 for the first victory each day)
    Credits received: 79,172
    Battle Achievements: Reaper, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

<._.>
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

27. - Top - End - #1167

Quote Originally Posted by mistformsquirrl View Post
    Victory!
    Battle: Airfield Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:43:44 AM
    Vehicle: PzKpfw VI Tiger
    Experience received: 3,692 (x2 for the first victory each day)
    Credits received: 79,172
    Battle Achievements: Reaper, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

<._.>
    Tiger Ace ftw
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

I have to admit, I am underwhelmed with the T29 (it can't be me of course). I expected the ability to sit hull down and bounce everything up to Tier 10 guns and even them sometimes...instead every Hellcat and Pz38 seems to penetrate me frontally.

I'm assuming there is a Gold Round issue here, and maybe...just maybe it may be operator error.

On a side note, the arty with M41 is going better the last 5 games or so. I stopped trying to wheel the targetting cursor from one side of the battlefield to the other. I installed a camo net and enhanced gun layer as well, and I seemed to hit more recently. We'll see if the trend continues...when I can tear myself away from DC Universe Online.
    I''ll stop now as I'm getting an itch in that black hole I call a conscious

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Ogre in the Playground

There's 3 key things to remember about the T29:

1) The sides and especially the back of your turret are a lot less well protected than the front.

2) Your commanders cupola can be shot from the front, although it's a difficult shot to make at any reasonable distance, it can be done and if they hit that well, it's easy to pen.

3) Your forward turret is quite strong, but only the mantlet is nigh invulnerable - in order to block shots effectively from a given target you pretty much have to be facing them with your turret - dead on - if they get a cheek shot on you it's possible (with gold or a big enough gun) to penetrate you.

----

All that said the T29 is an excellent machine, it just takes some practice to figure out being as it's nothing like the tanks the precede it.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

exactly...gold rounds are the new normal since they made them free
    everyone carries a dozen or so for those special targets

i almost dread being top of list now since it just makes you a magnet for gold rounds from lower tier faster firing tanks
    --a lowe should have no fear of a lone M6..but the last 3x i have been in that scenario its a foregone conclusion..that fast firing 90 kills me before my gun can get him dead
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar