New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 4E] Adventures in the Nentir Vale (IC)

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex stands and takes a few steps back as his companions suddenly rise from the floor, seemingly alive and well. He looks at them both intently for a moment before smiling and chalking it down as one of the stranger things to have happened in his life. Realising he had now calmed down from the heat of battle, Rex looks to Rolan and asks, "Everything safe?" He then looks about the building to see if there is anything he can to to clear some of the mess the battle had left. When there is nothing more to do, he sits on one of the pews, sword in hand, waiting for the others to make a move.
    Last edited by Locklear; 2013-03-26 at 04:51 PM.
    A party of adventurers walk into a bar. Except for the dwarf cleric, he walks under it.

I do remixes to music that everyone loves, check it out on my soundcloud:
    Soundcloud
    Youtube

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"I do not sense any immediate dangers, Rex. I think we can take this opportunity to get our barrings. Let's light those braziers and see if that will help illuminate our path in this forsaken place."

Unless someone stops him, Rolan moves towards the braziers. He steps lightly and modestly slow to avoid slipping in an unseen pool of blood or guts.
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature

3. - Top - End - #363
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lo-Kag - Goliath Warden

Lo-Kag is taken aback by the sudden divine intervention. His confusion quickly gives way to relief, though, and he hurries over to make sure his companions are fine. After making sure everything is fine, the warden follows Rolan to the braziers, all the while looking out for further threats.

Spoiler
    Show
    I will use a healing surge, bringing me up to 32 HP.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

After a few minutes of resting and making sure everyone's wounds were properly bandaged, Eldon stands up and begins to look around. "We came in here looking for that stone. I'd hate to think that we killed all those rats for nothing, so it's got to be in here somewhere." Eldon begins to search the temple for signs of the stone.

Spoiler
    Show

Eldon's not very good at this, but here's an attempt anyway.

Perception - (1d20)[14]
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2013-03-29 at 03:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #365

Rolan accompanied by the ever Lo-Kag vigilant approach the braziers, seeking to light the dark interior. Producing the flint and steel from his pack the psion starts work on reigniting the closest brazier. It takes only a few minutes for him to have the temple bathed in a orange glow from the fires.

With a better source of illumination available Eldon starts looking for the slaying stone the group was contracted to find. An exhaustive search of the premises is performed but no evidence of the stone's presence turns up. You are more than certain that it hasn't been here.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-04-02 at 07:14 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Kerem - Drow Sorcerer

"Curses. Can't find it." he growls. "Is there an upstairs we can check, or should we try the other temple?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    "Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering DM; to the last I argue with thee; from hell’s heart I slay catgirls at thee; for Galgenhumor’s sake I spit my last snark at thee. Sink all Sues and all katanas to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still gaming with thee, though ticked at thee, thou damned DM! Thus, I give up the logic!"

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon runs his hand through his hair as he considers what Kerem said. "I think we've checked everywhere here. I've looked everywhere I can think of anyway. I'd say on to the other temple. Since it wasn't here, it's bound to be there."

8. - Top - End - #368

Lizardfolk

Rolan

"I certainly hope so, Eldon. This temple has been a giant disaster from the moment we set foot inside and I'd hate for the other to be just the same. Let's get a move on before someone - or something else discovers us here."

Rolan moves towards the door, intent on making his way to the other temple. Before exiting, Rolan, opens the door slightly and peers out to make sure the coast is clear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+5)[14]
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)

9. - Top - End - #369

After preforming two comprehensive sweeps of the temple's grounds and acquiring no new leads prompts the group to continue their search elsewhere. You crack one of the massive doors to ensure the coast is clear before proceeding outside.

Not wishing to remain out in the open any longer than needed the group hurries across the square toward the Pelorite temple. Standing in front of the small structure you notice it too has suffered ill treatment by goblin vandals. Depictions of Maglubiyet, exarch of Bane cover up emblems of the Sun God. The walls of this sacred building have been coated in goblin excrement, a show of further disrespect to followers of Pelor.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

10. - Top - End - #370

GreenSorcererElf

Kerem - Drow Sorcerer

"Dirty goblins." he muttered "Well, let's get going. We better find that stone quick!"
    "Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering DM; to the last I argue with thee; from hell’s heart I slay catgirls at thee; for Galgenhumor’s sake I spit my last snark at thee. Sink all Sues and all katanas to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still gaming with thee, though ticked at thee, thou damned DM! Thus, I give up the logic!"

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon's face scrunches in an expression of disgust. "Well, at least there probably won't be any goblins inside. Who would want to go into that gross mess if they didn't have to." He steps up to the doors and puts one hand on the handle preparing to open it. He pauses for a moment, saying a quiet prayer to the sun god. "Great god Pelor, please bless us and protect us as we venture into your defiled temple. I wish we had the time to put this back into your glory, but I fear our current task is far too important." He traces a sunburst pattern in the air before him and carefully pushes the doors open.

12. - Top - End - #372

Entering the sanctuary you surprisingly find yourselves descending a pitch black staircase that leads to a set of double doors, emblazoned with Pelor's crest.

Stepping into the temple of light it's noticeably brighter in relation to Sehanine's shrine. The formerly beautiful edifice with a glass ceiling is now nothing more than a moldering ruin covered in a thick layer of vines. Somehow in spite of the massive amount of plant growth the sun finds a way to shine through.

Looking around the luminous chamber you immediately notice how quaint and intimate this chapel is compared to the one you came from. A stone basin containing water is located in the center of the room. Two sarcophagi rest on opposite sides of the room.

Before you can investigate further a rough voice calls out from somewhere within in the sanctum. “Who's there and why have you come to this forsaken place?", it asks.

You can't pinpoint where exactly this being is currently located.

Religion DC 15:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know that this basin is divine and anyone who tosses in a coin of silver or gold will receive Pelor's blessing.

Perception DC 10:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can clearly see something shiny coming from the sarcophagi.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-04-04 at 12:13 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

13. - Top - End - #373

GreenSorcererElf

Kerem looks around the temple. Huh. This is in a lot better condition than I would've thought it be.

He hears a voice call out of the darkness, "Wha?" He asks in confusion. He turns around wildly, looking for the source of the voice. "Well... I guess you can call us a bunch of ragtag group of associates. Heh...Some of more ragtag than others." he says with a large grin spreading across his face and showing off his tattered red robes trying to diffuse the situation with humor and a nervous laugh, wary of what's to come after the last encounter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20-1)[13]
    Religion: (1d20)[3]
    Diplomacy (if necessary): (1d20+5)[15] +2 from Eldon, making it 17 total.

He sees something shiny by the sarcophagi and begins walking slowly towards it.
    Last edited by Arranis Thelmos; 2013-04-05 at 07:58 AM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon pauses to look around the room, leaning on his halberd. When the voice calls out, Eldon takes a moment to concentrate, allowing his natural friendly attitude to seep out to others around the room.

"Yep, that pretty much describes us. We're just here looking around. I'm Eldon by the say." He steps forward offering his hand to the... voice out of nowhere. "And who are you, if you don't mind the question?" Eldon smiles nervously.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy (1d20+9)[20]
    Perception (1d20)[7]
    Religion (1d20-1)[0]

15. - Top - End - #375
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex follows his companions into the temple. Noticing the condition, he begins to relax but the voice causes him to once again become tense. Seeing Kerem move forwards towards something, Rex warily follows the Drow further into the temple.
    A party of adventurers walk into a bar. Except for the dwarf cleric, he walks under it.

Soundcloud
    Youtube

16. - Top - End - #376

"By the sound of things I assume you're treasure hunters, who've come to pick over the ruins of Kiris Dahn. Though whatever has brought you here, I must implore that you be cautious in moving about this place. If you weren't aware this town has become a bastion for goblins and their ilk."

Eldon's question catches the hidden speaker off guard. "My...name, my...name, is Kiris Hoyt. ...It has been so long since I've talked to another sentient being not trying to kill me. I don't believe you mean me harm so I will come out so we may speak in person."

Suddenly a wild looking man with a thick beard and bedraggled hair emerges from the shadows. He looks to have been living rough for some considerable time, and yet his clothes, although ripped and dirty, clearly indicate he is used to finer things.

OOC: Kerem & Rex
    Spoiler
    Show
    Upon closer inspection, you find out that the light is magical, a cantrip of some sort that must have been used to impress peasants and unintelligent commoners of Pelor's power.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

17. - Top - End - #377

Lizardfolk

As Kiris Hoyt emerges, Rolan joins Eldon. Rolan looks over Kiris with a suspicious eye, but a blank expression. "Your warning is appreciated, but we are already aware of the state of this... town. Tell me, Kiris, why are you here in this forsaken place, as you put it."

18. - Top - End - #378

Looking up, a long sigh escapes the man. "My family left me behind during the goblin attack eight years ago. They probably banked on the goblin's killing me so their would have one less heir seeking part of the family's wealth.", he answers bitterly as a wad of spit flies from Kiris' mouth to the tile floor.

"Though none of that matters now. As for why I've remained, let's just say unlike my relatives I wasn't going to let those little green snots run me out."

OOC: Eldon & Rolan
    Spoiler
    Show
    You wonder if this Kiris Hoyt is related to Kiris Alkirk, the nobleman who you met at Treona's Tower.

OOC: Insight DC 20
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite the conviction with which he speaks you're certain he's lying. Something must be keeping Hoyt from rejoining civilization for a noble to live ruggedly in enemy territory for so long.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-04-10 at 09:03 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

19. - Top - End - #379

GreenSorcererElf

Kerem looks over the source of the light, realizing it's a simple cantrip. He turns to Kiris, "What a sad tale! I certainly know a thing or two about bad families."

Spoiler
    Show
    insight: (1d20-1)[4]
    Last edited by Arranis Thelmos; 2013-04-10 at 11:47 AM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon looks confused. "Wait, you're a Kiris? Wasn't that other guy the last of the Kiris line, Rolan? The one we talked to over that nice stew at Treona's tower, I mean."

Without waiting for a response from his mentor, Eldon continues. "He was a big part of the reason we came here. He didn't seem to eager to come back to this town with the infestation of the little green blighters himself, so he sent us."

21. - Top - End - #381

Hoyt raises an eyebrow, clearly intrigued by Eldon's last statement. "By your last remark, I take it my family has fallen on hard times, truly a tragedy.", he says sarcastically.

"Though I will admit I'm curious which of my relatives acquired your services and more importantly why they wanted you to come here. Perhaps I could be of some assistance to you."
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon gives Rolen a meaningful glance. He wonders exactly how much information to give to this man, and trusting Rolen's opinion on this more than his own, he decides to let his mentor take the lead.

23. - Top - End - #383

Lizardfolk

Rolan

Rolan contemplates for a moment how to respond. He has a feeling that this Kiris isn't exactly being forthcoming, which makes him uneasy. Looking to gauge this Kiris' reaction, Rolan decides to tell him who hired them. "We have an acquaintance with a man that calls himself Kiris Alkirk. Now I believe you can be of assistance. What can you tell us about this temple?" Rolan looks intently into Hoyt's eyes, to see how hearing Alkirk's name affects the man.

Spoiler
    Show
    Insight: (1d20+7)[19]

24. - Top - End - #384
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex listens while his company speaks with the man. As this is the first time that he has heard some of this information he is thinks it all over carefully and does not go to interrupt anyone. While he contemplates what he is hearing, Rex takes a few more steps into the room and looks carefully looks at Kiris Hoyt, trying to see if the man is carrying weapons of any kind.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception I guess?: (1d20-1)[0]

Soundcloud
    Youtube

25. - Top - End - #385

The mere mentioning of Alkirk's name gets Hoyt's undivided attention. "Ah, so it was my dear cousin who enlisted your services. He is one of the few within my family that I didn't blame for my current situation. Though I suppose since the rest of them are dead now I shouldn't hold onto this grudge any longer."

Rolan's query into the temple elicits a raised eyebrow from the noble. "Other than the fact that this is a temple dedicated to Pelor and my current residence? Nothing else comes to mind, why do you ask?"

OOC: Rolan
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is no doubt Hoyt holds some level of animosity to the Kiris family. However you detect none of this vitriol in regard to his comments about Alkirk. His claims of ignorance about the temple also leave you no reason to suspect him of withholding information.

OOC: Rex
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can't even make out who your compatriots are speaking with, so you have no idea whether this person is armed or not.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon decides that the man has been generally agreeable so far, so decides to press his luck a little farther. "Well, Alkirk asked us to come looking for something that your family had made long ago to protect this town from trouble. One of Kiris Dahn's former residents has recently learned that there may be one more stone here, and she looks to find it to turn its power to unsavory uses. We've been asked to come and try to find it before she does. We came to the temple hoping such an item might have been stored here."

27. - Top - End - #387

A look of genuine concern crosses Hoyt's face. "You mean to tell me there's still one of those accursed stones floating around in Kiris Dahn! And for some reason you think such a powerful artifact is being housed in this temple? Well I hate to disappoint you but that thing isn't here else I would have found it long ago. If you don't believe me feel free to look around yourselves."

Appearing tired of standing he shuffles to the front of the basin and sits down on the steps leading up to the pool of water. "Once you're finished looking around should you desire a more detailed lay of the land just ask."

With that Hoyt lowers his head, deep in thought.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

28. - Top - End - #388

GreenSorcererElf

Kerem - Drow Sorcerer

"Well, there's no harm in still trying to look." Kerem says as he begins walking around the room, straining his eyes for anything out of place. "Do you know where they used to keep these stones Hoyt?" Kerem calls out after a moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20-1)[15]

29. - Top - End - #389

Hoyt doesn't even bother looking up to see who had spoken, though a long sigh can be heard from the former noble. "I wasn't exactly high on the Kiris family totem pole, so they didn't consider it important to keep me up to date on family secrets. Sorry."

OOC: Kerem
    Spoiler
    Show
    A thorough search of the temple turns up no hiding places for where the slaying stone could be. Though you weren't able to check to see what's inside the pair of sarcophagi. Someone will need to pass a DC18 Athletics (Strength) check to open them.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-05-03 at 02:41 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

30. - Top - End - #390

GreenSorcererElf

Kerem realizes he hadn't actually seen what was in the sarcophagi, and decides if he can pry the lid off.

Spoiler
    Show
    Athletics (1d20)[15]

He gives it a try, but becomes increasingly frustrated as it barely budges. "Hey Rex," he calls "You're a strong lad, see if you can help me move this."
    Last edited by Arranis Thelmos; 2013-04-19 at 10:21 PM.