New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: [D&D 4E] Adventures in the Nentir Vale (IC)

Rolan, Human Psion

Rolan curses silently for allowing himself to be pinned in a corner. The din of the goblins clamoring to break down the door, shouts for aid from compatriots, and a snarling man-beast before him were almost enough to send Rolan into a panicked tailspin. Fortunately the training he received when becoming an inquisitor required that he master not only his mind and his thoughts, but his emotions as well. Forcing his fear down and holding it in the white void of his mind, Rolan lets a cold and emotionless calm take over. He looks over the wererat and decides on a course of action. Rolan was trained in a powerful psychic technique that not only inflicts a massive amount of trauma to the target's mind, it can allow him momentary control over a host. While he has heavy reluctance to use the ability, as many subjects simply die from the initial trauma and prefers to use it as a last resort, options and time are dwindling and it's now or never. Rolan pulls as much power as he can from the orb held tightly in his grasp and unleashed the full power of his telepathic projection upon Hoyt.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for the healing, dariathalon! Rolan heals for 7 putting him at 13 HP, but the ongoing 2 damage brings him down to 11 and bloodied.

I know I'll provoke an opportunity attack, but I really have no melee attacks (my basic melee sucks) and we're running short on time I fear.
    Telepathic Projection (Daily)
    Attack: (1d20+9)[19] (+1 from Eldon's surge and +2 for CA from Eldon's outrage) vs Hoyt's Will
    Hit: (3d8+7)[18] damage and target is subject to my telepathic projection (save ends). While the target is affected by my projection, when I start my turn, the target makes a melee basic attack as a free action against the target of my choice.
    Miss: Half damage and the target makes a melee attack against a random creature. If the attack targets me or an ally, the attack roll takes a -2 penalty.

Save for ongoing damage: (1d20)[4]
    Last edited by Dakaran; 2013-06-03 at 09:29 AM.
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #422

In spite of the chaos unfolding all around him, Rolan remains completely calm, actively seeking a way to turn the current situation on its head. He soon comes to the realization that he will have to use the most deadly psychic attack in his arsenal in order to survive. The psion gathers a massive amount of energy from the orb tightly clenched in his right hand and projects it outward at the wererat looming over him. A sharp pain courses through Hoyt’s head as Rolan forces his way into his mind, causing an outpouring of blood from his eyes, nose, and ears. Cringing in pain, the rat man snarls at Rolan.

Rolan’s attack while devastating leaves him susceptible to a counterattack from the wererat. A gentle mental suggestion from the psion tricks the abomination into attacking thin air.

One of the goblin archers draws another arrow from its quiver before shuffling around closer to its allies. It then waits for one of the adventurers to step into its line of sight.

Enemy Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kiris Hoyt
    Attack of Opportunity: Attack Rolan with Bite
    Attack Roll: (1d20+8)[10]
    Damage: (1d4+6)[10]
    Effect: Ongoing 2 damage

GG5
    Move: move to F17
    Triggered Action: attack the first enemy who comes in his line of sight

Rex and Kerem are up!
    Battle Map
    Initiative Order: GG2, GG4, Samael, GG6, Kiris Hoyt, Eldon, GG1, Rolan, GG5, Rex, Kerem
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-06-03 at 05:54 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

?Dondé está Rex? I'll jump initiative and take my turn then?

Kerem - Drow Sorcerer

"Cool it Hoyt! We just want to help you!" Kerem cries as he fires a magic volley at the wererat. After a moment he realizes how his actions contradict his statement. "Heh. Um...Sorry Hoyt!" As an afterthought he fires a bolt at a Goblin Guard.

Spoiler
    Show
    move to F7 and Hit Hoyt with a Chaos bolt--preferably for non lethal damage if at all possible

(1d20+5)[17] vs Hoyt's Will.
    (1d10+5)[15] Damage
    If even number rolled to hit then secondary attack against GC2
    (1d20+5)[25] vs GC2 Will.
    (1d6)[5] Damage
    Last edited by Arranis Thelmos; 2013-06-05 at 08:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    "Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering DM; to the last I argue with thee; from hell’s heart I slay catgirls at thee; for Galgenhumor’s sake I spit my last snark at thee. Sink all Sues and all katanas to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still gaming with thee, though ticked at thee, thou damned DM! Thus, I give up the logic!"

4. - Top - End - #424
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Thinking that Eldon and the cloaked figure have the situation contained, Rex tries to carefully step away from the small goblin in the doorway and focus his attention on Kiris. He moves in to try to distract the wererat with his strike and allow Rolan to move away.

Spoiler
    Show

Move
    Move to H10 (Provokes OA from Goblin Grunt 2)
    Standard
    Covering Attack on Kiris Hoyt: (1d20+9)[20] vs AC; Damage (2d10+5)[17] and Adjacent ally (Rolan) can shift 2 spaces. (Non-Lethal strike)
    Last edited by Locklear; 2013-06-05 at 10:02 AM.
    A party of adventurers walk into a bar. Except for the dwarf cleric, he walks under it.

I do remixes to music that everyone loves, check it out on my soundcloud:
    Soundcloud
    Youtube

5. - Top - End - #425

Lizardfolk

Rolan, taking advantage of Rex's good timing, takes a few steps back in an attempt to get out of reach.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolan shifts to I7 - As much as I'm concerned about incoming goblins, Rolan would be trying to get away from Hoyt so he can actually attack without worrying about OAs.
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)

6. - Top - End - #426

Kerem pokes his head out from behind the sarcophagus just long enough to fling a missile of magical energy Kiris Hoyt’s way. The bolt of many colored light slams into the wererat with enough force to not only reel the creature but leave it doubled over in pain.

Rex leaves the remaining goblin grunts to his allies so he can hurry over and assist Rolan. After closing in the fighter launches a ferocious barrage of blows with the flat of his blade, compelling Kiris Hoyt to ignore the psionic. This leaves an opportunity for Rolan to take a couple of steps back to get out of the wererat’s reach.

In his haste to reach Rolan’s position, Rex leaves an opening for a goblin grunt to take a swipe at him. Just as the goblin's blade is about to connect, Rex's reflexes kick in allowing him to deflect the sword swing with his shield.

The doors keeping goblin reinforcements from flooding into the chamber finally gives way. Tossing their battering ram aside the goblins draw shortswords and shortbows, in anticipation of joining the battle. Three goblins charge recklessly into the fray, aiming to take down Rolan, Kiris Hoyt, and Kerem. Two of their attacks are easily repelled but the third goblin is able to pierces Rolan's abdomen with its blade. One of the grunts caught in close combat with the hooded stranger is forced to discard its shortbow and draw steel. Since the goblin is unable to take its frustration out on Eldon it settles for attacking Samael instead, while its compatriot attempts to take revenge against the ardent. Both goblin attacks are fended off with ease.

Enemy Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GG2
    Attack of Opportunity: Attack Rex with Shortsword
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage: [4]

GG14
    No Action: Delay until after GG8

GG8
    Standard: Charge to C8 and attack Kerem with Shortsword.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+7)[9]

GG14
    Standard: Charge to H7 and attack Rolan with Shortsword.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+7)[25]

GG12
    Standard: Charge to G8 and attack Kiris Hoyt with Shortsword.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+7)[8]

GG4
    Minor: Drop Shortbow
    Minor: Draw Shortsword
    Standard: Attack Samael with Shortsword
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[10]

GG2
    Standard: Attack Eldon with Shortsword

Samael, it's your turn to cause some damage!
    Battle Map
    Initiative Order: GG8, GG14, GG12, GG2, GG4, Samael, GG9, GG6, Kiris Hoyt, GG13, Eldon, GG1, GG15, GG10, GG11, Rolan, GG5, Rex, Kerem
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-06-19 at 01:17 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Samael, Avenger of Avandra
    Samael automatically notices what is going on with the goblin, and sees the actions even before they happen. The goblin drops his bow, draws his sword, and stabs at Samael. But his years of training taught him to foresee such moves, and he saw it a mile away. Easily dodging the swipe by the goblin, Samael yells at the man next to him, "Go help the others! I will deal with these two!". With that he brings down his sword, hoping to cleave the goblin in front of the warrior in half.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actions
    Standard - Bond of Retribution on GG2 vs AC (1d20+7)[20](27) CRIT!
    Damage - (1d10+4)[8](12) 14, The first time an enemy other than the target hits or misses you before the end of your next turn, the target takes 3 radiant damage.

Samel's sword comes down so hard, it cuts through the shoulder of the goblin and out his side. The two halves of his body sliding to the ground, Samael turns to the other goblin, ready for its next attack.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-06-10 at 05:39 PM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

8. - Top - End - #428

Seeing even more goblins burst onto the scene spurs the hooded figure into action. Samael disregards his opponent so he can help the man standing next to him. With a brutal slash of his blade, he effortlessly slices through bone and muscle, severing the goblin in two. An explosion of blood and gore erupt from the body, coating the swordsman with crimson.

Descending the stairs into the temple proper is a shortbow wielding goblin. Notching an arrow in its bow the goblin starts surveying the room. Setting its sights on Samael it opens fire. A goblin rushes over to Kerem, attempting to skewer the drow on his blade. One of the archers whose been peppering the party with projectiles, releases another arrow intended for Eldon.

Blood dripped from the wererat's body in several places where he had been cut and pummeled, however once again his wounds begin to heal and knit back together. Hoyt smiles toothily at Rex, revealing his diseased incisors once more. Cackling gleefully he leaps at the man, eager to taste more human flesh. With his hunger still not sated he slips away to prey on the nearest goblin.

The moment Hoyt moves, an arrow comes flying out from behind the portcullis.

Enemy Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GG9
    Move: Move to B8
    Standard: attack Kerem with Shortsword
    Attack roll: (1d20+6)[23]

GG6
    Free: Load Arrow
    Standard: Attack Eldon with Shortbow
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[26]
    damage: [4]

Kiris Hoyt
    Standard: Attack Rex & GG12 with Wererat Waltz
    Attack Roll: (1d20+8)[26]
    Effect: Shift half his speed
    Effect: Ongoing 2 dmg (Save Ends) Exposed to Filth Fever
    Attack Roll: (1d20+8)[18]
    Effect: Ongoing 2 dmg (Save Ends) Exposed to Filth Fever

GG13
    Minor: Draw Shortbow
    Free: Load Shortbow
    Move: Move to E7
    Standard: Attack samael with Shortbow
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[24]

GG5
    No Action: Kiris Hoyt triggers shortbow attack
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[23]

Eldon, how will you respond to this second wave of adversaries!
    Battle Map
    Initiative Order: GG14, GG4, Samael, GG9, GG6, Kiris Hoyt, GG13, Eldon, GG1, GG15, GG10, GG11, Rolan, GG5, Rex, Kerem
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-06-19 at 01:17 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

The adrenaline pumping through Eldon's arteries was enough to keep him standing despite his several wounds. He took a moment, refocusing his mental energies, in a way that Rolen had shown him months earlier. Now that his mental and physical resilience were aligned, he hoped he could stay in the fight a little longer.

He hurried across the room, as he passed by Rex he placed a reassuring hand on the warrior's shoulder, willing a little of his resolve to continue the fight into the man.

He stopped next to one of the goblins that had Rolen cornered. He knew that if they were to pull off this battle, that they would need the psion's mental mastery. He swung down with his polearm, hoping to give his mentor and friend a little breathing room.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard: Second wind, brings me to 14 hp (still bloodied). Everyone remember your second winds! Eldon doesn't have much healing left.

Minor: Ardent Surge on Rex. Rex gets to spend a surge and regains an extra (1d6)[3] hp. Rex also gets +1 to attack until the end of my next turn.

Move: To H8.

Free: Action Point.

Standard: Energizing strike on the goblin in H7. Attack vs AC - (1d20+6)[26] a hit does Damage - (1d10+4)[9] 14 and gives Rolen 4 temp hp.

Edit: Woohoo a crit! Too bad it was on a minion.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2013-06-14 at 12:17 AM.

10. - Top - End - #430

Digging deep within himself, Eldon musters the will to continue fighting by mentally blocking out the pain from his numerous wounds. Once he’s gathered himself, the ardent charges across the floor to lend Rolan a hand. As he passes Rex’s position he pauses just long enough to clap a comforting hand on the warrior’s shoulder, sending a wave of revitalizing energy into his ally’s beleaguered body. His attention then shifts back to the goblin that has his psionic friend trapped in a corner. Stepping toward the goblin he swings his polearm in a downward motion. The halberd’s axe head buries itself deep into the goblin’s skull, killing it instantly.

Withdrawing an arrow from its quiver one of the archers takes a shot at Rex. The marksman's arrow is true, piercing the fighter in the side. A goblin descends the staircase into the chamber, shortbow at the ready. Placing an arrow into the bow it draws the string back and fires in Eldon’s direction. Somewhere in its flight path the projectile goes off course, landing a good ten feet from the intended target. Charging headlong into the fray one of the goblin warriors takes a swipe at Rolan with its blade. Slow reacting by the psionic allows the goblin to cut him across the midsection. Witnessing one of its comrades brutally cut down by the wererat enrages the goblin. Blinded by anger it rashly rushes towards Hoyt, intending to skewer the abomination with its shortsword. As the goblin draws closer fear overcomes it and the attacks timing is off, giving the rat man time to evade.

Enemy Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GG1
    Standard: Attack Rex with Shortbow
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[18]

GG15
    Standard: Attack Eldon with Shortbow
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[12]

GG10
    Move: Move to H7
    Standard: Attack Rolan with Shortsword
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[24]

GG11
    Move: Move to F7
    Standard: Attack Kiris Hoyt with Shortsword
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[9]

Rolan's on deck!
    Battle Map
    Initiative Order: GG14, GG4, Samael, GG9, GG6, Kiris Hoyt, GG13, Eldon, GG1, GG15, GG10, GG11, Rolan, GG5, Rex, Kerem
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-06-19 at 01:13 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

11. - Top - End - #431

Lizardfolk

Rolan Berelain, Human Psion

Despite the valiant effort of Eldon cutting down the goblin before him, Rolan is once again pressed to the wall figuratively and literally as more goblins just rush to take the place of their fallen brethren. "ENOUGH!" Rolan shouts. His carefully constructed mental blocks over his emotions has been strained to nearly the point of crumbling. Rolan pushes off from the wall and attempts to move out of the goblin's reach, then lashes out with force at the enemies before him. His mental assault spills into the room, lashing out at many of his foes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: to I9, drawing an OA

Standard: Dishearten (Augment 2)
    Target: Square E7
    Range: Burst 1
    Attack vs GG15 (@D6): (1d20+6)[9] vs Will
    Attack vs GG13 (@E7): (1d20+6)[15] vs Will
    Attack vs GG11 (@F7): (1d20+6)[17] vs Will
    Attack vs Hoyt: (1d20+6)[19] vs Will (non-lethal [knock out] if possible - Rolan wants to continue attempts at diplomacy with Hoyt now the he knows he's tangled with the goblins in the past)
    Hit: (2d6+7)[18] damage and takes -2 penalty to attack rolls until end of my next turn.

Will be using an action point, but I'll see how these rolls come out before deciding what to do with that action.

12. - Top - End - #432

Lizardfolk

Rolan Berelain, Human Psion

Rolan continues to barrage the goblins with his psionic power.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using action point.
    Standard: Dishearten
    Target: Square C7
    Range: Burst 1
    (If not previously killed) Attack vs GG15 (@D6): (1d20+6)[9] vs Will
    Attack vs GG9 (@B8): (1d20+6)[11] vs Will
    Attack vs GG8 (@C8): (1d20+6)[12] vs Will
    Hit: (1d6+7)[10] damage and takes -2 penalty to attack rolls until end of my next turn.

13. - Top - End - #433

Sliding along the wall, Rolan escapes the goblin swordsman’s blade before he takes another hit. Out of immediate danger he unleashes a ferocious two pronged mental assault on his many adversaries. Three goblins quickly succumb to the psychic assault and crumble to the floor, their puny minds ripped asunder by the psionic. Kiris Hoyt furiously claws at his head in a futile effort to get the psion out of his head.

The moment Rolan tries to slip away the goblin instinctively tries to stab his fleeing form. Despite truing to hit a moving target its aim is true, eliciting a wince of pain from the psion. A precisely aimed arrow shoots through the portcullis towards Rex. Turning at the last moment the fighter uses his shield to block the incoming projectile.

Enemy Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GG10
    Triggered Action: Attack of Opportunity
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[18]

GG5

It's up to Kerem and Rex, now!
    Battle Map
    Initiative Order: GG4, Samael, GG9, GG6, Kiris Hoyt, Eldon, GG1, GG15, GG10, Rolan, GG5, Rex, Kerem
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-06-19 at 01:15 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex stumbles on the spot and tries to ignore the throbbing pain in his arm that he used to protect himself for the vicious rat-man. He takes a step forwards then lunges, trying to bait the ratman back, away from the doorway.

Spoiler
    Show

Move
    Move to G9
    Standard
    Footwork Lure on Kiris: (1d20+9)[15] vs AC; Damage (1d10+5)[6]; If a hit, shift to F9 and more Kiris into G9.

Save vs Filth Fever: (1d20)[6]

EDIT: Heroic Surge on the attack roll to bring it up to 19.
    Last edited by Locklear; 2013-06-18 at 11:29 AM.
    A party of adventurers walk into a bar. Except for the dwarf cleric, he walks under it.

Soundcloud
    Youtube

15. - Top - End - #435

GreenSorcererElf

Kerem - Drow Sorcerer

Kerem sighs and cries out, "Pest control please!" a nimbus of bright fire erupts from his form and envelop two goblins.

Spoiler
    Show

Burning Spray, burst 3.

(1d20+5)[25] vs GC8 Reflex
    Damage (1d8+5)[9]

(1d20+5)[16] vs GC15 Reflex
    Damage (1d8+5)[11]
    "Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering DM; to the last I argue with thee; from hell’s heart I slay catgirls at thee; for Galgenhumor’s sake I spit my last snark at thee. Sink all Sues and all katanas to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still gaming with thee, though ticked at thee, thou damned DM! Thus, I give up the logic!"

16. - Top - End - #436

An outpouring of flames leap from the drow’s fingertips that engulf two of the warriors. Their screams can be heard from within the wall of fire as they are burned alive. Eventually the shouting ceases and the fire dissipates, revealing the goblins charred remains.

The goblin standing across from the hooded stranger is too fearful to engage him head on. It dances around the enigmatic figure probing for a hole in his defenses. Locating a vulnerable spot on one of the swordsman’s flanks spurs the goblin into action. Rushing in it tries to slash at his side. Samael lowers his blade to defend far to slowly, exposing himself to the goblin's blade, which carves a deep gash into his midsection. Following the creature's attack a beam of radiant energy explodes from Samael's body and passes through the goblin's body, frying it.

Enemy Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GG4
    Move: Shift to I13
    Standard: Attack with Shortsword
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[23]

Samael, your back in the driver's seat!
    Battle Map
    Initiative Order: Samael, GG6, Kiris Hoyt, Eldon, GG1, GG10, Rolan, GG5, Rex, Kerem
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-06-19 at 01:16 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Samael's guard slips for a moment, as he is winded, and the goblin's sword strikes him in the side. A smile comes across his face, however, as a bolt of divine energy shoot from his sword, burning the goblin's heart out.

Samael then bring the sword, clutched in both hands, up to his chest, blade flat right in front of his face, and says a quick prayer. As the words come out of his mouth, low in volume and pitch, swirling divine energies swirl around him, healing his minor wounds, and at least stitching up, somewhat, his major ones and stopping the bleeding. With a new found strength, Samael runs to in between the Rat-Man and the goblin, "Die Abomination!!!", he swings his sword at Hoyt, hoping to end the thing once and for all. "Anyone with magic or a bow, take out those archers!!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Actions
    Standard - Second Wind, spending a HS, to get to 16/28, and +2 to all defenses USMNT
    Move - to G8, avoiding OA's

ACTION POINT! (I hope it pays off!)
    Standard - Strength of the Many on Hoyt vs AC
    (1d20+7)[10](17)
    Damage - (3d10+10)[2][9][9](30), for each ally within 2 squares I get a +2 to damage. 3 allies = +6, so +10 in all.

Samael's blade glows white with Divine energies and slashes at the rat, splitting his belly open and exposing his insides to the elements. He then turns to the Goblin next to him, his piercing eyes marking his next target.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-06-19 at 12:12 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

18. - Top - End - #438

Placing the flat of his blade in front of his face the stranger recites a quick prayer. While the words flow divine energy swirls around him, closing some of the wounds that had been sustained during battle. Restored and ready to return to the fray, Samael dashes towards the wererat, his sword gripped tightly at his side. With a devastating two-handed swing he slices through the abomination’s stomach, ventilating many of the creature’s internal organs. As his upper half tumbles to the ground, a look of utter disbelief is paralyzed across his face.

Raising its bow one of the archers fires a high arcing arrow in Rex’s direction. The arrow's trajectory is true, burying itself into the fighter's right shoulder.

Enemy Actions:

Spoiler
    Show
    GG6
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[20]

Eldon, all that's left now is to mop up these stragglers!
    Battle Map
    Initiative Order: Samael, GG6, Eldon, GG1, GG10, Rolan, GG5, Rex, Kerem
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-06-19 at 04:07 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon swings his halberd at the last goblin near him. "We need to get those others before they escape. They can bring the whole city down on us!"

If his attack wipes out the goblin next to him, Eldon will rush around toward the side passage hoping to catch them.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard: Energizing Strike on H7 goblin. I'll go ahead and spend my two power points. Should have done it earlier, but was expecting to need it to help with Hoyt. Attack vs. AC - (1d20+6)[10] a hit does damage - (2d10+4)[17] and allows Rolan to spend a surge.

Move: If that hits and kills the goblin, move to J13. If not, stay put.

20. - Top - End - #440

Raising his halberd again, Eldon strikes at a goblin warrior. His eagerness to end the battle causes him to bury his polearm into a section of temple wall.

A goblin archer adjusts its bow’s sight onto Samael before nocking an arrow. Drawing back the string it fires a perfectly aimed shot that penetrates the stranger's back. Taking advantage of a missed swing the goblin thrusts its blade towards Eldon’s gut. The blade pierces his chest, leaving him in a great deal of pain.

Enemy Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GG1
    Standard: Attack Samael with Shortbow
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[19]

GG10
    Standard: Attack Eldon with Shortsword
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[26]

It's Rolan's turn!
    Battle Map
    Initiative Order: Samael, GG6, Eldon, GG1, GG10, Rolan, GG5, Rex, Kerem
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-06-20 at 02:24 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

21. - Top - End - #441

Lizardfolk

Rolan - Human Psion

Rolan finally gets a fleeting moment to pull his thoughts back into himself now that he has some breathing room. With most of the goblins and Hoyt now dispatched, Rolans thoughts return to the mission at hand, and the importance of keeping their presence hidden as much as possible. With his companions more or less centralized, he feels they can handle the remaining goblin on their side of the portcullis. The other three however, if they realize the battle is lost, will most likely flee for aid. I cannot let that happen, Rolan thinks to himself. Knowing his weariness, Rolan knows that the best way for him to get into the goblins' minds and shut them down is to peer directly into their eyes. Rolan pushes off from the wall behind the sarcophagus, throwing caution to the wind, and speeds to the portcullis. Surprising the goblins, they look at him wide eyed for a brief moment, and that is all Rolan could have hoped for. With a great effort he unleashes his mind upon the three of them.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Man I hope this works...
    Move: Move to E15
    Minor: Distract - Target (GG5 @F17) grants combat advantage to the next creature that attacks it before the end of my next turn.
    Standard: Dishearten (burst 1)
    Target Cell: E17
    Attack vs GG1 @ D17: (1d20+6)[24] vs Will
    Attack vs GG6 @ E17: (1d20+6)[14] vs Will
    Attack vs GG5 @ F17: (1d20+8)[18] vs Will (includes CA from Distract)
    Damage: (1d6+7)[13] (other effects don't matter since they're minions)

22. - Top - End - #442
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Seeing the fight coming to a close, Rex walks calmly around to the last surviving goblin, blocking it in. He then raises his sword and brings the hilt of his sword down into the goblins head in a controlled strike.
    Spoiler
    Show

Move
    Move to G7
    Standard
    Melee Basic Attack vs G10: (1d20+9)[29] vs AC; Damage (1d10+5)[14] CRIT: 15 damage. Non-lethal.
    Last edited by Locklear; 2013-06-21 at 01:35 PM.

Soundcloud
    Youtube

23. - Top - End - #443

Thanks to the efforts of his compatriots the psion is finally given a moment to gather his thoughts now that most of the goblin attackers have been defeated. He quickly remembers that their mission’s success depends on them keeping a low profile so that the entire goblin population doesn't come down on them. Knowing that the remaining band of archers can't be allowed to retreat, Rolan drags his battered body across the chamber up to the portcullis. This brazen charge surprises the goblins, presenting the young man with a golden opportunity. Placing both hands upon his orb, he stares directly into the creatures’ eyes as he projects his mind outward. Each of the goblins falls to the floor and start convulsing uncontrollably for a few moments before becoming eerily still, expressions of horror on their faces.

Sensing the battle's inevitable conclusion at hand, Rex approaches the surviving goblin, hemming it in. The fighter then raises his blade and drives the hilt into the goblin’s temple, knocking it unconscious.

With the final goblin incapacitated a stillness falls upon the desecrated House of Pelor. A disturbing amount of gore and numerous broken bodies litter the temple floor. Lying motionless in a rapidly drying pool of his own blood is the massive form of your former acquaintance, Lo-Kag. The dismembered corpse of Kiris Hoyt no longer shows any signs of being a wererat, having reverted to his human shape upon death.

Standing amongst the carnage is the mysterious stranger that proved instrumental in defeating both the goblins and the cursed nobleman. This individual said very little during the battle and you're uncertain of their motives. What you do know is that the new arrival is skilled with a blade and adept at killing goblins.

OOC: Combat Over!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kudos for overcoming another tough encounter. You gain another 160XP putting you at 735 total and that much closer to level 2. Now you've got wounds that need dressing, bodies and a temple to investigate, a new ally to speak with, and a goblin prisoner to interrogate. So what's first?
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

24. - Top - End - #444

Lizardfolk

Rolan - Human Psion

With the immediate threat of the goblins neutralized, Rolan knows that he has extremely little time to waste. It may already be too late, Rolan thinks to himself as he rushes to the now dead leader of the band of goblins. Not wasting time to heal himself, Rolan winces as his wounds scream in pain, but ignores them. As he moves to the goblin, Rolan calls out to Eldon. "Eldon, there isn't much time! I know you have no experience in this, but we have nothing to lose for trying. I need you to try and read into the mind of Hoyt. It lasts usually for mere moments, but after death the mind can still be accessible. It is actually easier to access a deceased mind as the mental walls that are usually placed up by the individual have crumbled. The only downside is that thoughts and memories are literally disappearing by the second. I want you to see if you can find anything of use to our mission. I will be attempting the same on goblin commander here. By the time Rolan finishes his rushed instructions, he is already on his knees beside the goblin commander. Placing both of his hands on the goblin's temples, Rolan places his forehead to the goblin's and closes his eyes and reaches into the void in an effort to drag out anything of use.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    No idea if this'll fly, but hey, what've we got to lose. I think insight is probably what I should roll for, but let me know if you want a different check, Hircine.
    Insight: (1d20+7)[27]

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon drops his halberd when it is clear the combat is over. He doubles over, placing his hands on his knees and taking several deep gulps of air. The adrenaline finally starting to subside in his system leaves him exhausted.

Hearing Rolan's order, Eldon tries to be quick to act. "I'll try," he mutters as he takes a few stumbling steps over to where Hoyt's body rests and collapses to his knees. Eldon pulls the wererat's head into his lap. He places one hand on each side of the man's head and closes his eyes. Within seconds Eldon's ragged breath had slowed and he was deep in concentration, trying to access the dead man's mind.

Spoiler
    Show

Probably won't work, especially with my Insight, but here's the attempt anyway.
    Insight - (1d20)[3]
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2013-06-28 at 11:53 AM.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex lets out a deep breath then grabs the unconscious goblin by the throat and drags him into the south-west corner of the room, kicking the corpses out of his way to clear a path. He proceeds to tie the goblin up with the rope from his backpack, taking any weapons it may have had on its person, then goes to looting the corpses of his fallen foes. Throughout this he makes sure to keep one eye on the man in black. 'If they don't have a problem with him, it's not my place to complain,' he thinks carefreely to himself.

Spoiler
    Show

Am I alright to take 20 on this searching? Also, Rex spends 2 surges bringing him up to 23. Also save vs Filth Fever (1d20)[4].

Soundcloud
    Youtube

27. - Top - End - #447

GreenSorcererElf

Kerem - Drow Sorcerer

Kerem stands around awkwardly staring at the new stranger as everyone else springs into action. He clears his throat and says with a broad smile, "Well met stranger, your timing was impeccable. We were in some serious trouble there. My name is Kerem, what's yours?"

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

After the battle, Samael sipes his sword off on some unsullied part of a goblin's tunic. He then sheaths the might sword again and turns to the others, and speaks in a low, bold voice that seems to speak of power by itself, though not loud and seems like it shouldn't come from a body such as his, "Well met. I am Samael, Avenger of my lady Avandra. I was told to come here by a man that said someone would need help, and I am glad I made it when I did. These little wretches might have torn you all apart, though for the looks of things you all were handling it quite well.....save for that monstrosity there," as Samael point at Hoyt. "Who was he to you anyway?"
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-07-02 at 10:12 AM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

29. - Top - End - #449

OOC: Rolan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Peering into the deceased goblin's quickly vanishing thoughts you find nothing pertaining to your search for the slaying stone. However, while sifting through the goblin you now know as Triflik's mind you come across several relevant nuggets of information.

While scavenging in the ruins Triflik witnessed Hoyt transform into a wererat and brutally eviscerate a family of goblins, including a pair of goblin youth. Sometime after this Triflik finds a silver blade in the ruins of a smithy with which to kill the lycanthrope.

You are then drawn into another memory within the Kiris Mansion. Triflik is being admonished by a large hobgoblin in heavy armor seated atop a red drake. He's forcibly dragged off by a pair of burly looking goblins to a nearby inn for punishment. Once inside Triflik is tortured repeatedly by a strange goblin possessing numerous eyestalks like a beholder.

Before the goblin's mind empties completely you are able to gain access to one final memory. It shows Triflik conversing with a goblin in an ill-fitting but ornate robe amongst shelves of texts. The robed goblin leads Triflik to another part of the building that appears to have been clawed by a large beast of some sort.

Once this last memory fades away you are left in an empty void.

OOC: Eldon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Infiltrating Hoyt's mind you are surrounded by darkness on all sides. A number of mirrors containing what you assume to be his memories slowly float past you, though each one is blank. You discern that either you aren't skilled enough to process the information before you or that Hoyt is to far gone to gain anything useful.

OOC: Rex
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your immune system is unable to stave off the infection you contracted from Kiris Hoyt. Immediately you feel weaker then you were just a few moments ago, a fever starts to set in, and you are plagued by a nagging cough.

Ignoring the virus' symptoms you move around the room, searching the bodies of the fallen. Amongst the goblins you find a paltry sum of coin in addition to their mundane equipment. Near the leader's corpse is the silver longsword it used during the battle. You detect faint traces of magic coming from the blade but it will require appraising to determine the enchantment. On Hoyt's remains you locate a ring set with several expensive looking gemstones. Just as you're about to move on you notice a sliver of parchment sticking out of the deceased nobleman's trousers, which you also collect.

In all you found 49gp, 160sp, a ring worth about 60gp, an enchanted longsword, and Hoyt's letter.

OOC: Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you got filth fever during the battle I'll need your saving throws now.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

When the clouds in his mind darken to the point that he is sure to get nothing else, Eldon carefully sets Kiris Hoyt's body aside. He stands up. Then Eldon pulls a bit of spare cloth out of his pack and brushes himself off and uses it to clean the blade of his halberd as Kerem begins talking with the stranger.

Eldon makes his way over to where they are talking. "I couldn't get much out of him. He was already pretty far gone, I think," Eldon says with a sweeping gesture toward the wererat's corpse.

"I'm Eldon Kennings by the way. Good to meet you. Thanks for your help back there. We might have been able to handle it until Kiris Hoyt went nuts and attacked us. To be honest we'd just met him not long before you came in. We were looking for something and thought he might have information on where it was."