New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 4E] Adventures in the Nentir Vale (IC)

Samael, Avenger of Avandra
    Samael nodded his head, both in greeting and in agreement. Then in that eerily low voice, "The Slaying Stone of old. I too am here to seek it out and destroy it. I have been here for a couple of days, but have found nothing, nor have I been able to look a great many places due to me being alone and there being hordes of goblins everywhere. I am glad to have the help of able bodied warriors."
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Rolan Berelain, Human Psion

Rolan grasps at as many of Triflik's memories before they can vanish into the void. Rolan is successful in collecting several that may be of some use in their preparations, yet none that are helpful for their end goal. Rolan opens his eyes and releases Triflik's head as the goblin's memories finally fade away. Rolan sits back on the ground beside the goblin exhausted. Summing up what little energy he has left, Rolan takes a moment to calm his mind and his body.

Rolan's wounds finally stop bleeding, and Rolan begins to feel as though he has a little more strength and stands up. Bits of the others' conversation begin to register. At Samael's mention of the slaying stone, Rolan's interest is piqued. Despite his initial urge to mistrust the Half-Elf, as he does with anyone he meets, the man's actions during this latest battle has garnered enough trust with Rolan to at least stave off Rolan's desire to delve into the man's mind. "Samael, I am Rolan Berelain. I must say, your appearance was most unexpected, but not unwelcome. The fact that you too know of the Slaying Stone is most curious. Might I ask where you learned of the artifact's existence?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolan spends his last 2 surges to get up to 15/22 HP.

Side note, that's about as polite as Rolan will get upon meeting someone new, especially given the circumstances.
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

"There was a man I met on the road who asked for my help. He seemed genuine enough and said he worked for a Dreus Matrand, and asked if I wanted to help destroy an artifact that could do horrible acts of evil. Of course I agreed.....though I am beginning to suspect if the thing is ever here." Samael then took out his blade again and walked over to the goblin that was unconscious. He tried waking the thing, and when he saw that it was coming back into the world of the conscious, he put his blade to its throat, "If you yell out at all, goblin, I shall cut out your tongue and ask you "yes" or "no" questions, do we understand each other?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Samael isn't lying at all, but if you want a intimidation check (with knack for success ) (1d20+10)[6](16)

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

4. - Top - End - #454

As the goblin starts to come to a blade is roughly shoved towards its neck. Its eyes widen in fear and right when the goblin prepares to yell out the hooded man orders it to not make a sound. Nodding its head to the best of its ability, the goblin awaits further instructions from its captors.

OOC: Samael
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your immune system is unable to stave off the infection you contracted from Kiris Hoyt. Immediately you feel weaker then you were just a few moments ago, a fever starts to set in, and you are plagued by a nagging cough.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-07-03 at 11:36 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Just as Samael is about to start interrogating his prisoner, he feels something. His blade grows heavier in his hands, his whole body starts to slowly warm up, and a cough starts to tickle his throat. Luckily the rigorous training he was put through to be in Avandra's service help him keep his cool, so to speak, and stay on focus. "Now that we have an understanding, answer my questions or you shall wish for death by the time I am done with you," Samael lets that sink in for a moment, not breaking eye contact with the creature and giving him a hard stare. Samael knows that goblins are cowardly creatures by nature, and when you get one alone they tend to hold no loyalty to anyone....he just hoped that this one was of the same lot. "Now, we are here to find an artifact of untold destruction and power....a Slaying Stone. Do you know where it is? And remember, the more screams that come from your mouth, the less parts you will have intact."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

6. - Top - End - #456

Beads of sweat trickle down the goblin's face as it processes your question. A scant few moments pass before it looks up at Samael. "S-Slaying Stone? If you want rocks there plenty in ruins around city. Just have to throw really hard at head. When aim good most enemy die from one blow. Especially stink kobold, they weak."

Passive Insight DC 8
    Spoiler
    Show
    The goblin is absolutely terrified and knows that its only shot at survival is by appeasing you. Everything it said rings true to you.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Samael narrows his eyes, "No. I don't need just any stone, I need one specific stone. Is there a weapon your leaders have that they won't let you see? Or is there something here they didn't want you to have? Remember, tell me the truth," Samael finishes, continuing his interrogation.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

8. - Top - End - #458
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Kerem - Drow Sorcerer

Kerem shivers as he watches Samael conduct his interrogation. He's brutal... I'm glad he' on our side!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    "Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering DM; to the last I argue with thee; from hell’s heart I slay catgirls at thee; for Galgenhumor’s sake I spit my last snark at thee. Sink all Sues and all katanas to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still gaming with thee, though ticked at thee, thou damned DM! Thus, I give up the logic!"

9. - Top - End - #459

"Nope don't got anything likes that. All magic stuff we find in city or take in raids put in mansion vault. Me never see any rocks inside though. Splurg answer all you questions, you going to let go now?", the goblin asks timidly.

Passive Insight DC 10
    Spoiler
    Show
    Splurg is still being honest with you.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Samael eyes the goblin for a moment, but sees that he is not being decieved, "One last thing before you move on....where is the mansion and how do I get into the vault?" Samael presses the blade a little tighter on the goblin's neck, just to make his point.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

11. - Top - End - #461
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex returns to the group and calls for everyone to look at his findings. He swings the sword, but find the weighting not to his liking and passes it off to Rolan for appraisal. He then turns to Eldon and hands him all the money he found and the ring. "There's about sixty gold in coin and the ring's worth about the same," he turns round to go and supervise Samael's interrogation, then suddenly turns back and hands Eldon a scroll, "Found this on Hoyt, might be worth a look."

Once he is stood over the man's shoulder he crouches and whispers in a low gruff voice, so that the goblin has trouble hearing, "Send him east and watch him until he leaves your view." He gives the goblin a hard stare then goes and sits on a sarcophagus to clean off his sword some more, but keeps one eye on the interrogation.
    A party of adventurers walk into a bar. Except for the dwarf cleric, he walks under it.

I do remixes to music that everyone loves, check it out on my soundcloud:
    Soundcloud
    Youtube

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Waiting for the goblin's answer, Samael turns to Rex as he walks away and, in elven, asks him, "Do you know my language?"
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-07-08 at 12:40 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

13. - Top - End - #463

Splurg looks up worriedly when the fighter approaches, gulping in fear. Craning his neck forward, he tries unsuccessfully to eavesdrop on the discussion the two of you have. Leaning back in frustration he mutters several words in goblin you can't discern. Once Rex walks off the goblin appears to breath a sigh of relief.

"Mansion in north part of Gorizbadd, you can't miss. Vault need key, pretty sure Hu-Jat keep on person at all time. He not trust anyone else to keep it safe."
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Orc in the Playground

Rex - Human Fighter

Rex stops with the scrap of cloth half way down the sword. He raises his head and faced Samael. He clears his throat, noticing a slight metallic taste in his mouth. "Yes, I know it." He pauses for moment then clarifies, "I worked with some elves trading down the Nentir. It was useful." He folds the cloth to a clean side then smiles a little to himself, "Less so in Hammerfast." He then thinks to himself, ' "Your language", I guess so.'
    Last edited by Locklear; 2013-07-09 at 07:05 AM.
    A party of adventurers walk into a bar. Except for the dwarf cleric, he walks under it.

I do remixes to music that everyone loves, check it out on my soundcloud:
    Soundcloud
    Youtube

15. - Top - End - #465

Lizardfolk

Rolan - Human Psion

As Rolan listens to Samael's interrogation of the goblin, the mention of the vault key being in a goblin's possession catches his immediate interest. He quickly strides over to join Samael in front of the goblin while he runs over Triflik's memories in his mind. As Rolan approaches, he takes the sword from Rex and holds it menacingly. Meeting eyes with Samael for a moment, he nods, indicating he'd like a turn with the goblin. Turning his cold eyes on the goblin and catching light with the blade in his hands, Rolan says "Hu-Jat. Describe this goblin."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Insight: (1d20+7)[16]

Edit: Retconning that Rolan took the sword from Rex and holds it while standing before the goblin. Rolan will attempt to examine the sword in a bit after dealing with the goblin.
    Last edited by Dakaran; 2013-07-09 at 02:11 PM.
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Samael smiles at Rex and talk to him as he lets Rolan have a turn with the goblin, though he doesn't remove his sword from its neck, "That will be useful to know in the future. As for your idea about sending him east, I do not intended to send him east. I intend to send him somewhere else."

Spoiler
    Show
    Elven in Italics, for ease.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon

Eldon takes the scroll from Rex. He opens it and quickly examines the contents while the others are focused on interrogating the goblin.

18. - Top - End - #468

Rolan's cold, lifeless gaze makes Splurg extremely uncomfortable, but he does his best to answer the psion's query. "Hu-Jat, big red-skinned hobgoblin, covered in battle scars and missing teeth. He not hard to miss, because he always with his pet drake."

OOC: Eldon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unfurling the tattered and now bloodstained parchment, you begin to read.

My son, why do you continue to languish in the ruins of Kiris Dahn, when you could be with the rest of us? Surely killing hapless goblins has lost its thrill and you have started craving more satisfying meals. Since abandoning Kiris Dahn our little family has already integrated itself into a quaint little hamlet in Harkenwold. It's surrounded by ample woodland so our clandestine activities won't be disturbed. Your mother, sisters, and I sincerely hope you'll finally come to your senses and join our pack for there is much hunting to be done.

- Kiris Markus
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-07-09 at 10:42 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

Samael turned to Rolan, and the group, "Are we satisfied with this goblin's information? Or shall we ask him more questions?"

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

20. - Top - End - #470

Lizardfolk

Rolan - Human Psion

Rolan closes his eyes for a moment and let's Triflik's memories flash by once more. Rolan frowns as he opens his eyes, unsure that any of what he saw relates to this Hu-Jat. "I have one more question for Splurg." Leaning in close to the goblin, Rolan says "Where is Hu-Jat?"

21. - Top - End - #471

"Hu-Jat mostly stay in mansion under heavy guard, but he come out on occasion to patrol ruins. Now Splurg hold up end of bargain, you let go free now, right?", he asks looking up at Samael expectantly.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-07-10 at 02:39 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon watches quietly as the others interrogate the goblin. "If we let him go free, we need to make sure that he doesn't find a way to tell the others about us. That could cause us quite a bit of trouble," he says once it appears they are done questioning the little pest.

"Also, I think the rest of you should read this letter that Rex found. It sounds like there are more of the Kiris line left than we'd thought." He holds out the parchment for anyone to examine.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hircine View Post
    "Hu-Jat mostly stay in mansion under heavy guard, but he come out on occasion to patrol ruins. Now Splurg hold up end of bargain, you let go free now, right?", he asks looking up at Samael expectantly.
    Samael looks at the goblin, "You did hold up your end of the bargain. However the deal was that if you told me everything, I would let you move on.....and so I shall. Avandra have mercy on you.....for I shall not." With that, Samael decapitates the goblin with his sword, stepping back so as not to get blood on himself. As soon as he steps back, cleans off his sword, and then sheaths it, Samael almost falls over, just catching himself on his knee, but heading down to the ground anyway. He sits on the ground, breathing hard, and while no one can see it, sweating under his clothes.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-07-10 at 04:37 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

24. - Top - End - #474
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Kerem - Drow Sorcerer

Kerem takes the extended parchment from Eldon and reads it over quickly. "Huh. I'd guess from the language that the rest of the Kiris clan may be wererats too, and with less than noble intentions. I suppose after this we ought to look into--" he then sees Samael decapitate the goblin and stumbles back in shock. "...Well... That was unexpected. ...Have I mentioned I'm glad you're on our side?"
    Last edited by Arranis Thelmos; 2013-07-10 at 09:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    "Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering DM; to the last I argue with thee; from hell’s heart I slay catgirls at thee; for Galgenhumor’s sake I spit my last snark at thee. Sink all Sues and all katanas to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still gaming with thee, though ticked at thee, thou damned DM! Thus, I give up the logic!"

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon gasps in shock at the brutal efficiency of the avenger's killing. He choked back bile that began to rise in the back of his throat. It probably needed to be done, and Eldon was glad it hadn't fallen to him to kill the goblin, but it was still surprising how quickly a life could be ended outside a battle.

He opened his waterskin and took a large swig of water before speaking. "It might even be worth our time to go to them before we continue our search for the stone. They might have more information about where it was kept than we do. Though I guess that might give Treona's apprentice more time to find it before we do. Either way, I think we should soon be finding a safe place to hole up for a longer rest. Maybe Rolen can give that sword a look while we're resting, try to figure if that sword does anything more than stabbing people." He gestures to the sword that the goblin leader carried.

26. - Top - End - #476

Lizardfolk

Rolan - Human Psion

Rolan stands unphased by Samael's actions with the goblin. In his time as an inquisitor he has seen many things done to prisoners. Many things much worse than a quick death. Rolan looks at Samael for a moment and says "It had to be done," although Eldon gets the sense that Rolan was also speaking to him as well.

Rolan looks down at the sword in his hand. It would be good to know what else this blade can do. And I am indeed in need of some rest. "I agree that we should find a place to hole up for a bit and recoup. I have a good deal of wounds that could use some attention still and we've had too many close calls for one day." Rolan thinks for a moment, then continues "Searching out the Kiris clan could potentially be helpful, but only if we can agree that the tale of Hoyt's death spins away from us being involved in his death."

As Rolan makes that last comment, he looks around the room, looking to see if the others will agree or not when his eyes fall on the body of their fallen companion, Lo-Kag. A small wave of sadness washes over Rolan for a moment before his training kicks in an immediately suppresses the emotion and he returns to his usual practical mindset. "Samael, this quest of ours is proving quite dangerous and has cost us rather dearly. The more help we have, the better chance we have at success. Since our missions seem to be one and the same, unless someone has a concern I think we could benefit by working together."

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Samael nods at Rolan, "Yes, it did. And I am not opposed to working together. Greater numbers is greater safety and the greater chance we will find the stone. I was not told anything about it other than it was here. Do you all know what it looks like, or where it is rumored to be? The man who hired me did not know." Samael gets up from the ground and is a little shaky, leaning on the wall to keep his balance. "Damned rat-man has infected me."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon shrugs. "We don't know much more than you do, I'm afraid. We were told it was very likely still here somewhere. We've got a few guesses, but unfortunately many of them are well guarded by the goblins."

He moves over to Samael. "Let me take a look at that infected bite. I learned a little about how to care for wounds like that back when I was working under Commander Tereboldi. I might be able to help it heal a little faster." He carefully removes the bandage to examine the wound.

As he begins to work on the wound, Eldon continues to talk to Samael, knowing that his work could cause pain, he thought it best to keep his mind off the injury. "So tell us more about your employer. We were told that not many people knew about the stone, just our employers and the apprentice of one of them. I hope this person you spoke of wasn't her apprentice, we were told she would want to keep the stone rather than destroy it."

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

As Eldon looks at his wound, Samael doesn't show much on the outside as far as pain. "I do not know much about my employer. I met him on the road, a human in chainmail with a dark hood over his head. He asked me to help him destroy an artifact of great and terrible power, given my past how could I refuse? So here I am." As he lets Eldon work, he takes his hood from his head to show everyone what is under there. As the hood comes off, a great mane of white hair, with some blonde mixed in, comes tumbling out that seems to hang about to his stomach. His eyes, which you have seen, and a bright green and seem to glow ever-so-slightly, and he looks just like an elf, and just looking at him you wouldn't think he was anything BUT an elf.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2013-07-12 at 02:40 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

30. - Top - End - #480

Lizardfolk

Rolan - Human Psion

As Eldon and Samael talk, Rolan ponders what their next course of action should be. Thinking more about the Kiris clan, Rolan realizes that seeking them out in Harkenwold may take up a great deal of time. The goblins in Kiris Dahn could stumble upon the Slaying Stone any day now. Well, I will share what I learned from Triflik's mind and perhaps we all can discern a course of action from there.

"Well, we will have to keep an eye out for this employer of yours. I would very much like to meet him," Rolan says with a even-toned voice, masking his intention to delve deep into this man's mind if they cross paths.

"I have been thinking. As much as I'd like to seek out the Kiris clan for their knowledge of the slaying stone, it may take too much time of the little that we may have. Before we decide what to do next, I have some memories to share that I pulled from the goblin commander's mind. While I could describe what I saw, I can give you a much clearer image through a telepathic connection. With your permission, I can literally show you what I saw in the goblin's mind."

If you give Rolan permission to place some memories in your mind you can read this. Actually, even if you don't you can still read this as Rolan would do his best to describe what he saw. It's just "cooler" to show you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are drawn into a memory within the Kiris Mansion. Triflik is being admonished by a large hobgoblin in heavy armor seated atop a red drake. He's forcibly dragged off by a pair of burly looking goblins to a nearby inn for punishment. Once inside Triflik is tortured repeatedly by a strange goblin possessing numerous eyestalks like a beholder.

You are drawn into another memory. It shows Triflik conversing with a goblin in an ill-fitting but ornate robe amongst shelves of texts. The robed goblin leads Triflik to another part of the building that appears to have been clawed by a large beast of some sort.