New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1507
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

I don't really understand why they do limited print runs when the objective is to increase the number of cards available so that the secondary market prices go down to something more reasonable. I guess they have to defend the price a little bit, but I feel like if you were a seller and you had been paying attention you should have known to ship all your $100 Modern cards as soon as possible.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

2. - Top - End - #992
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Most likely its a timing thing. If they did a larger release, then it would suck up more printing time, and would also more likely overlap with the release of a regular set.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I don't really understand why they do limited print runs when the objective is to increase the number of cards available so that the secondary market prices go down to something more reasonable. I guess they have to defend the price a little bit, but I feel like if you were a seller and you had been paying attention you should have known to ship all your $100 Modern cards as soon as possible.
    Depends on how "limited" of a run it actually is. If the limit is a big enough number then it should still do something.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Hey,

I hope this is in the right thread. If not, I ask mods to make sure it gets there.

Anyway.

Me and my friends have a friend who really enjoys MtG, he is sort of casual player, but had a bunch of laughs when I made him a "custom card" of his dog. Anyway, his birthday is close and we would like to make him a set of cards with his friends. We have someone who can print them, so they'll be real cards, but I got the task of shaping them mechanically.

I would like to ask Gaint to take a look at these and tell me if prices on any of them are very wrong and what the values should be. I was comparing them to Ravnica.

That's it guys, I hope someone can take the time and check these out.

Also, if there are any mistakes made, please point them out too.

Also this is suppose to be R/W/B deck, thatswhy Saprolings are Blue, etc.

Last edited by Balor01; 2012-10-22 at 05:46 AM.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balor01 View Post
    Hey,

I hope this is in the right thread. If not, I ask mods to make sure it gets there.
    It it's about M:TG, then this is in fact the right thread.

Anyway.

Me and my friends have a friend who really enjoys MtG, he is sort of casual player, but had a bunch of laughs when I made him a "custom card" of his dog. Anyway, his birthday is close and we would like to make him a set of cards with his friends. We have someone who can print them, so they'll be real cards, but I got the task of shaping them mechanically.

I would like to ask Gaint to take a look at these and tell me if prices on any of them are very wrong and what the values should be. I was comparing them to Ravnica.

That's it guys, I hope someone can take the time and check these out.

Also, if there are any mistakes made, please point them out too.

Also this is suppose to be R/W/U deck, thatswhy Saprolings are Blue, etc.

First off, see my (bolded) correction above. "B" generally stands for "Black," white "U" is for "Blue."

The set is pretty good overall, here's my suggestions (I'll be abbreviating the word that may or may not be forum-okay):

B.S. Saporlings

First off, Flash allows you to cast a given card any time you could cast an instant. On an actual instant it is therefore unnecessary.

Secondly, Saporlings are generally a green thing, and Blue as a whole doesn't really do tokens. I'd suggest making this white and having the tokens be Birds with Flying, since that's already a card. You can keep the same name though, that way the joke is that the "saporlings" are B.S. due to actually being birds.

B.S.

Lower the mana and replicate cost by one. The baseline mana cost to bounce a creature is one, and Replicate isn't worth more than one extra since it's already an additional cost in and of itself.

Also, the formatting for Replicate goes like this:

"Replicate {cost} (When you cast this spell, copy it for each time you paid its replicate cost. You may choose new targets for the copies.)"

Cene

For six mana this should be at least a 3/4. Or conversely, you could keep it as a 1/2 and bump the cost down to two or three total. The ability doesn't need to factor into the cost since it takes a fairly hefty amount of mana itself to use.

Egelie

As above, this should either have more power/toughness or cost less. I'd say three total mana should be about right.

Ac Dc

There's already an ability-less 2/1 for one mana, so this should either also cost one or have some sort of ability. Either First Strike, Lifelink, or Vigilance depending on what you're going for.

Also, subtype should just be "Dog" (drop the "Animal" bit).

Epic B.S.

As with B.S., lower the cost and replicate cost by one.

Panzerotti

This is just awful. At least have it give Haste or First Strike or something (maybe Intimidate?).

Pelinkovec

I'm not sure what type of card this is supposed to be, since it says "Instant" but refers to an equipped creature. I'm assuming that you mean for it to be an instant saying "Target creature gets +2/+1 until end of turn and doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step," in which case the power bonus should be at least +4 (because otherwise it's not nearly worth using) and it should only be usable on your own creatures (because stopping an opponent's creature from untapping is a blue thing).

Petra

Should be both blue and white, because countering things is exclusively blue territory. Also, instead of "any B.S. spell" it needs to say "target spell with 'B.S.' in its name." Either that or give the three spells you want it to be able to counter the subtype "B.S."

The second ability should be worded as follows: "Dogs you control get +1/+1 as long as you control Petra."

Samo

I think I'm pretty safe in saying that most people would file a 1/3 for four mana with a drawback under "bad card." This needs to be largely redone, though how is up to you.

Sebo

Just a slight wording correction, should be "Whenever a creature named 'Petra' enters the battlefield, return Sebo to its owner's hand."

Veni Vidi Vici

Should cost one mana, otherwise it's strictly worse than a cat, and we can't have that can we?

Also, as with Ac Dc, drop the "Animal" from the type line.

Plastic Digital Watch

I don't know if you realized this, but you can only equip an Equipment to your own creatures. Right now this card doesn't actually provide any benefit.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

6. - Top - End - #996

Imp

So ... how exactly can I thank you?

What you did was pure awesome.
    Last edited by Balor01; 2012-10-22 at 08:02 AM.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens;14091275[B
    Veni Vidi Vici[/B]

Should cost one mana, otherwise it's strictly worse than a cat, and we can't have that can we?

Also, as with Ac Dc, drop the "Animal" from the type line.
    Hey! Don't go badmouthing Squire! It even got reprinted!
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Petra

The second ability should be worded as follows: "Dogs you control get +1/+1 as long as you control Petra."
    You got everything I saw, except doesn't this just need to be "Dogs you control get +1/+1"?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    That would have to be the worse timeshifted card to get.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-10-22 at 08:39 AM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

9. - Top - End - #999
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    You got everything I saw, except doesn't this just need to be "Dogs you control get +1/+1"?
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Squire is not a dog, and therefore is under no particular obligation to be better than a cat. See also: D&D cat vs. commoner.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Colossus in the Playground

Squire is not a dog, and therefore is under no particular obligation to be better than a cat.
    He certainly looks like a dog to me. The hound of his liege, to be precise!
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #1001

Imp

Thanks so much guys.

I think stats for dog in question are quite ok. She's the sweetest dog and also a scaredy cat.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on how "limited" of a run it actually is. If the limit is a big enough number then it should still do something.
    To me it's not about doing something to the price (which is clearly what it's supposed to do), it's the fact that I'm not really sure why they are limiting the print run. Why not just print as many as demanded, until the next set comes out? It seems like it would be a good idea, rather than printing a limited number of print runs decided beforehand.

I worry not that we won't affect the price, but that due to the limited print run the price of boosters will double or even triple MSRP, making it impossible to play Limited with them and ridiculously expensive to get any of the packs at all. I don't really feel any need for the cards personally, but I would love to be able to draft them because I love draft.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-10-22 at 12:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1003

Imp

It it's about M:TG, then this is in fact the right thread.
    Samo

I think I'm pretty safe in saying that most people would file a 1/3 for four mana with a drawback under "bad card." This needs to be largely redone, though how is up to you.
    Allrighty guys. Thanks so much for this.

"Custom Edition" is updated. The only card I need to re-make is Samo card. What I would like is a creature that costs you something each turn and you must pay to get rid of it.

Any Suggestions?

The point is this guy is a pesky guest.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, everybody.
    So, tl;dr version: I'm sitting on some pricey cards, including two of the new Jace cards from RtR.
    Anybody know a good way of selling them? My local shop is offering $30 in store credit...

Also, if anybody here is looking to buy/trade and you live in the Richmond, VA area, I'm sellin'.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    Hey, everybody.
    So, tl;dr version: I'm sitting on some pricey cards, including two of the new Jace cards from RtR.
    Anybody know a good way of selling them? My local shop is offering $30 in store credit...

Also, if anybody here is looking to buy/trade and you live in the Richmond, VA area, I'm sellin'.
    If you want value, ebay is the only way. Retail will offer you only a fraction of the value, no matter where you go. The only way to get decent profit is to sell it directly to someone else, and ebay, or a reputable trade thread on a forum (like on MTGSalvation), is just about the only way to get that kind of offer without finding someone face to face.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

To me it's not about doing something to the price (which is clearly what it's supposed to do), it's the fact that I'm not really sure why they are limiting the print run. Why not just print as many as demanded, until the next set comes out? It seems like it would be a good idea, rather than printing a limited number of print runs decided beforehand.

I worry not that we won't affect the price, but that due to the limited print run the price of boosters will double or even triple MSRP, making it impossible to play Limited with them and ridiculously expensive to get any of the packs at all. I don't really feel any need for the cards personally, but I would love to be able to draft them because I love draft.
    Presumably whoever got upset enough to force them to change course on the reserve list would also be pretty upset over all modern staples suddenly plummeting. I'm fairly certain this will neither be sold at MSRP, nor affect the card price much.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Titan in the Playground

Narkis: To that person, I tell them: Wizards explicitly stated they were going to reprint Modern staples. That is the reason they made this format instead of supported Legacy. It is not Wizard's fault if you didn't see this and immediately consider selling your $100 Modern staples while they were still worth that much money.

While I can understand not wanting to have Chronicles all over again, they said explicitly they were going to be printing these cards again. No one, even the people who would be affected by the dropping value of their assets, should be surprised. It's your own fault if the price of your cards tanks before you can get value.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-10-22 at 09:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Titan in the Playground

Allrighty guys. Thanks so much for this.

"Custom Edition" is updated. The only card I need to re-make is Samo card. What I would like is a creature that costs you something each turn and you must pay to get rid of it.

Any Suggestions?

The point is this guy is a pesky guest.
    In that case you can keep everything else about the card the same, just make the power/toughness be slightly above average for that mana cost. Maybe a 5/5?

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of limited print runs, Commander's Arsenal has

Spoiler
    Show

Loyal Retainers. Yeah.

The set is preselling on ebay for $300-400 right now. Good lord.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ogre in the Playground

Narkis: To that person, I tell them: Wizards explicitly stated they were going to reprint Modern staples. That is the reason they made this format instead of supported Legacy. It is not Wizard's fault if you didn't see this and immediately consider selling your $100 Modern staples while they were still worth that much money.

While I can understand not wanting to have Chronicles all over again, they said explicitly they were going to be printing these cards again. No one, even the people who would be affected by the dropping value of their assets, should be surprised. It's your own fault if the price of your cards tanks before you can get value.
    You're preaching to the choir, brother. I'd be much happier if this was made cheap and plentiful enough that everyone and their mother could afford a top modern deck if they were so inclined. But I'd also be happier if the reserve list had been abolished back then, and Wizards clearly doesn't share my views.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

21. - Top - End - #1011

Imp

Allrighty guys, I need some more help with that deck for a friend.

Here are three more cards. I have no idea what sort of power/toughness attach to Samo and I would like to know if other two are ok.

"Bar" will be nonbasic lands.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground

Allrighty guys, I need some more help with that deck for a friend.

Here are three more cards. I have no idea what sort of power/toughness attach to Samo and I would like to know if other two are ok.

"Bar" will be nonbasic lands.

I'm having some trouble loading the page. Do you think you could just use Imgur or something?

23. - Top - End - #1013

Imp

Done :)

help still appreciated.

direct link:

http://i.imgur.com/LuWpz.png
    Last edited by Balor01; 2012-10-23 at 03:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

With big images, you should usually use a spoiler, so it doesn't stretch people's screens out. Also, You might want to edit Miha's text a bit, unless you want her being used to search out a Lonely Sandbar. Perhaps make Bar a land subtype, and have search out a land with the subtype bar?

Also, from a balance perspective (Not that this is huge for you, I imagine), Ratzinger doesn't really justify the extra mana compared to Flame-kin Zealot.

Finally, if most of these creatures are based on your friends, consider making them all legendary.
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-10-23 at 10:00 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ogre in the Playground

so let me get this straight, in order to get new people into modern, wizards decides to just print a limited run that does nothing (other companies have tried similar in other games) and unnecessarily costs more.

wake me up when they actually decide to reprint in meaningful quantities.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    so let me get this straight, in order to get new people into modern, wizards decides to just print a limited run that does nothing (other companies have tried similar in other games) and unnecessarily costs more.

wake me up when they actually decide to reprint in meaningful quantities.
    If I had to guess, I'd say they're testing the waters here, to see how Modern Masters performs. My issue is that if they're going to design a set for draft, it ought to be priced similar to the price of a typical 3 packs.

So, I guess I have no problem with the limited run, but the price increase strikes me as stupid.
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-10-23 at 11:38 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Titan in the Playground

The price increase is probably because there is an assured foil card in every pack. Greater production costs and all that.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Titan in the Playground

So I only recently got started with Magic (played my first real game two weeks ago, won my first game a week ago, found out I have a bunch of cards already that I sorted today), and I already know that I really like cards that I can tap for multiple mana and/or various kinds of colours of mana. (Land cards or otherwise.) Is there a handy listing/database of all of these? (At least for Land cards?)

EDIT: Balor01, could you please spoiler those cards? They're severely stretching my screen.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-10-23 at 01:28 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    So I only recently got started with Magic (played my first real game two weeks ago, won my first game a week ago, found out I have a bunch of cards already that I sorted today), and I already know that I really like cards that I can tap for multiple mana and/or various kinds of colours of mana. (Land cards or otherwise.) Is there a handy listing/database of all of these? (At least for Land cards?)

EDIT: Balor01, could you please spoiler those cards? They're severely stretching my screen.
    This search should turn up most of them.
    You could narrow it to recent sets, I suppose.
    Gatherer is really handy for finding cards that do a certain thing.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ettin in the Playground

Gatherer is a card database that lets you search for whatever you need.

To find the lands you want, I'd go to advanced search and set the "type" parameter to Land, then go to the "rules text" box and add text to make it search for specific mana symbols in the text box:

Blue: {u}
    Black: {b}
    Green: {g}
    White: {w}
    Red: {r}