New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Light of Amber - Series One

"Hey now, I know how to prioritise," Umiko says simply. "She leads the forces we've been brought into aid and she's too tricky to be stripped of her rank through combat, so we're very much stuck with her. I'll just make up for it later by dropping her out a window or something once this is all cleared up. Or maybe she's like a medusa and I can use a mirror to reverse that paralysis back at her... uh, I mean, no there won't be any battling because I promised 'Noyoki' I'd get on with everyone."

Umiko chuckles heartily, on the fringe of a booming, old-man laugh. "Though you certainly need to unwind, I think. Talking all technical like that really doesn't suit you. I think you said 'roughly' about 7 times in the space of a minute. After we meet our..." Umiko wretches, unable to force the rest of the sentence out. "After we meet THE commander, we gotta find some way to calm you down before you explode. Grab a drink, moralise to someone, join Daina for dancing, kill something stronger than you, rap battle someone's face off? Oh wait, those all things I enjoy, I don't know about you. By the way, what's an energy cage and when was I ever in one? Or are you just bigoted against my people and think we should be locked in cages, huh?" Even her last question seems pretty joking despite the bleakness it implies.
    Last edited by Princess Tracy; 2012-08-13 at 09:39 AM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

An uncontrolled giggle slips from Sara's lips at Cymoril's reaction to the book in her hands, then she shakes herself as the blonde recovers enough to start asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Serafina View Post
    "Okay, wow....Sara-hakase, do you have any idea how valuable that book is? The Church would sell a whole planet for this...how could you possibly have it? It's not only old - easily over a thousand years - but how did it land here? We've never even heard of this dimension, and the Kaiserrelikte never leave Mid-Childa - heck, they barely left Belka! I'm sorry I yelled, it's just...wow. Overwhelming. May I...may I read it? I will take the utmost care, I promise!"
    "It's knowledge." Sara replies simply. "Of course I know how valuable it i-" She stops as the statement about selling a planet registers, eyes widening in sudden shock, but recovers quickly. "Well, it would have to be over a thousand years old. Samaniya found it before the Forging, out in the dimensions beyond the Barrier, just floating in nothingness. There were fragments of a magical signature left, but nothing that she could save." She shrugs, then smiles. "And of course you can read it. But only as long as you help me with understanding some of the more complicated bits of it."

She stays silent through the rest of the conversation, occasionally looking towards the door as the apparent want for a meeting with Amiya becomes more definite. As such, she actually notices Daina enter. She relaxes slightly, knowing that that means Amiya is not far behind, then stiffens as Makoto's last series of comments sails across the room. She waits, fidgeting as Umiko replies, then enters the conversation with a cry.

"How can you think that?" She gestures wildly at Makoto, eyes aghast with pain - but not of her own. "You-" Amiya's voice overlays itself on that word, and Sara cuts off.

"-couldn't be more wrong." The golden haired woman states from the doorway. "We fight the Neverwere, yes. And in that, we are soldiers in a war more important than any ever fought. But that is not all there is. How could it be?" She shakes her head. "What a world yours must be if that is all you see. There is so much more to the gifts of Amber then the power to defend those who need that protection.

"However," she continues, "your comrade-to-be raises a good point in learning of your new abilities - and those of your companions. If you are to be a Pentacle, then you must do that. For a Pentacle is no more than the sum of its parts and if they cannot all work together...well. I'm sure you can guess.

"You have spent much time here, and have apparently learnt much and yet little. So I would recommend food to maintain your strength, and then training to learn each other's strengths and weaknesses. That will be crucial. After that...after that it will be up to you. I would advise against leaving the Enclave until tomorrow, simply so that you can get acclimatised. But tomorrow I'm sure that a visit to the city you helped save would be more than fair."

She looks across you, then nods as no immediate objections are raised.

"In that case, if you would follow me?"

She leads you out of the library, Sara walking with Cymoril and talking the whole way.

End Episode 2
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Becoming

The meal is short, but filled with conversation as all the knowledge discovered so far is exchanged and absorbed. Amiya stays with you through it, but gives you space, allowing Sara to answer any questions you have.

The younger girl, now firmly attached to Cymoril through the bond of the book that floored the teenager, spends a considerable amount of the meal clarifying answers and giving more of the same. But she seems happy, the knowledge that she has spent years learning and caring for pouring out of her in a steady stream whenever its tapped.

But the lunch is too short to do more than exchange knowledge and confirm basic introductions between you. Once you're finished however, Amiya rises again and beckons for you to follow her to a training room. Sara comes too, fascinated by the possibility of seeing entire new forms of magic demonstrated - and presumably far too within her rights for Amiya to object. And as to any of you asking her to leave, well, the degree to which she has attached herself to Cymoril might not have reached the 'at-the-hip' level yet, but it's getting close.

Amiya leads you through the empty halls of the Enclave, turning here and there until she reaches a door that opens into a large room similar to an exercise hall. She raises her hand to just below her chin and clenches it into a fist after you've all entered, prompting a ripple of light from the walls to wash over you. She nods, and smiles.

"I've had the training systems accept you as a Pentacle, so you'll be able to practice if you want. Sara will stay with you, although I doubt I could drag her away if I tried," at that, the brunette in question sticks her tongue out at Amiya and the older blonde effects a long-suffering sigh, "so if you need any help just ask her." She steps back to the door.

"If there are no immediate questions then, I will let you get to work."
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's assume Umiko get's everyone's name over lunch.

Umiko sits quietly throughout the meal, already quite full from her hunt not long ago. Instead she pays ever close attention to everyone else, trying to get a feel for them. Teams, huh? Teams outside of clans tend to be short lived in the valley, but throughout the day the stakes of her situation had been setting in and she was coming to accept the need to keep them close. How is she to treat an ally not from the Valley though? Respect and violence are opposing ideas wherever she seems to go outside home, yet she never had the need to unite before today. She does her best to ignore Amiya throughout the whole thing to keep the peace. If nothing else, she seems a bit pleased to have her top and bag returned to her. She considers dumping the can of worms she has as bait into Amiya's hair and calling it even, but decides to wait until a better time.

When she gets to the training grounds, she becomes a great deal more relaxed, only to have her mood ruined as Amiya uses her foul magic again, forcing her to leap into a defensive posture, not leaving it until well after it is clear the magic is harmless. She finally relaxes a little, wandering to the far side of the room, flexing as her voice booms and she eyes the walls, taking the measure of the room and then her allies. "Start with the basics, I think," she says, taking charge. "Who here has actual battlefield experience? Preferably experience worth a damn - I don't mean playfighting or sparring, I mean desides the other night, who here has fought for their lives before?" She looks over Sara. "Are you in this group too? If not, you can make yourself useful by keeping close by asking my questions when I have them, but try to keep out of the exercise." She is actually more agreeable than the average drill sergeant, not once feeling the need to call them maggots.
    Last edited by Princess Tracy; 2012-08-13 at 05:49 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Well, I have plenty of experience running for my life, if that counts." Makoto hooks her thumbs into the pockets of the snug gray sweatpants she'd borrowed for the exercise. She didn't really have any of her clothes but her pajamas... and Makoto would rather leave those intact, if she could help it. "And yes, some of the time I helped myself out a bit with a lead pipe to the jerk's knees to give me a head start. But nothing formal. I take it you've gotten some form of training yourself, oh slayer of dinosaurs?"
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

6. - Top - End - #156

"If it is training you are looking for, i have plenty of that. My teacher fought for her life when she was eight, but i'm glad i never had to do that.

Cymoril then turns to Sara:
    "Could you show me how this training-system works? I know enough about fighting with a weapon, but i'm kinda new to actually using magic. Really new if we are talking about combat magic, since i've never done that before i got here."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Daina gives a small shake of her head in negation to the question about combat experience. She held near the back of the group on the way over, listening to the conversations, and now leaned against the wall near the door while waiting for the sure to come information on how to train here. Hopefully the instructions wouldn't require vision to make out.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

"I won't brag - it breeds delusion of one's abilities to be prideful and is the antithesis of strength. The only trophy one needs are the results; I fight for food and for my life. And some other reasons, but none of them are to pat myself on the back or earn a title. However, it is natural the more experienced should rally the less experienced. I've fought more in my 16 years than most soldiers of the Kenpachi battalion ever have to, with nothing more than the clothes on my back and my fists. Bandits, monsters and indeed dinosaurs have tried to take my life. It is often fairly close, for I am, even in my most delusional bragging state, not the greatest of warriors. In fact, I have never completed the Rite of Slaying, so I am not even a woman yet, though I imagine you care little for the battle dress of my people. If we are to fight an enemy that can overwhelm gods, we must all be in the mindset of a warrior; while I don't claim to have it, I do walk the path, and I shall accompany you all. To face down a vastly superior foe is a great duty, but few are prepare dto fall in combat; you must be prepared for anything."

Umiko stops, pondering. Cymoril has never had to fight for her life... at least the other one (Makoto) knows the fear of nearly losing it, for fear is a step to the transcendence that is bravery. But Cymoril... she is a coward for a reason - she fears for her life, as one unaccustomed to nearly losing it. I'll take special care of her then, somehow... Somehow, I'll need her to become brave.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Somehow owrtho managed a simultaneous post, I just noticed. So here's a little footnote to my previous post.

Umiko cant help but smirk a little at Daina's response. "You fought very readily for one with no experience - and very well, I might add," she tells her, her voice filled with genuinely kind praise. "Rather funky weapons you have there. Could you give us a beat or something, Daina, get our mood on?" She turns her attention on Cymoril. "It's time to learn. You, Cymoril, take your weapon out and show me what you can do." She adds a note as she turns her attention on Sara for a moment. "How complicated could this room possibly be?"

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Temeka shrugs as the question of combat experience comes up. "At best driving off the occasional wildlife that wandered to close for comfort. Otherwise its been mostly target practice given how much experimenting I had to do to make my firearms."

11. - Top - End - #161

Makoto grits her teeth at Umiko's stump speech. It wasn't who was saying it - no, the barbarian hit a few good points, to tell the truth. It was how she was saying it. Makoto didn't mind advice. She didn't mind guidance, though she had to admit she'd never found many decent sources of it. But she would not let this jarhead talk down to girls her own age like some grizzled war veteran talking to new recruits.

"Oh, yes. I'm sure you'll be there to 'guide' us. You and your friggin' dinosaurs and your armies and boasting and - if I may be so bold - utter crap. For someone who cautions against pride, you do an awful lot of boasting." Makoto puts on a mocking falsetto tone. "Oh my oh me, look at me, I'm nothing special, I just have fought more battles than a veteran warrior, but nope, nothing special about me, just a sub-par, average girl who is still goddamn better than all of you so let me walk you to the friggin' kindergarten and maybe you won't trip." Her voice lowers to a growl near the end of the rant.

"I am sick of this passive-aggressive condescension. News flash - we're all clueless, and yes, that includes you. Unless you had a past life flying around and firing laser beams at people, I think you really need to own up to the fact that you're as clueless as the rest of us. I don't care if you say it out loud - just get into your skull that you're no more fit to teach us than a dung beetle." Just as abruptly, Makoto steps back. "Okay, hell, you may be good at punching things. Great. Awesome, even. Things need to be punched sometimes. But we have teachers for teaching, and I'm guessing they're a lot better qualified than some stuck-up pugilist."

"At least, I assume that's what this room is, right?" Craning her head back, Makoto takes in the entire room. Worth a test, anyway. "Hey, Room! Gives us a training exercise! Co-operative combat exercises, or whatever the equivalent is here!"

Homebrew:

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Umiko's expression doesn't waiver, a constant all-analysing gaze focused on Makoto. As she finishes her bit, the warrior girl steps forward, quickly getting all up in her personal space. "Clueless about Neverwere? Sure. Clueless about Amber? Oh, most definitely. But don't be so bold as to compare my knowledge of battle to a civilian like most of you." She nods to Temeka and Chisaki. "That cat of hers has more battle instinct that half of this group, as it stands. Maybe I can't teach you about your abilities, or how to wage this war, but there is one thing I can offer some slight insight into." She lifts her top again, revealing the myriad of scars punctuating her tanned skin.

"We deal with a vastly superior foe, if anything we know so far is accurate. We must be prepared to face those overwhelming odds, to not buckle under pressure," she nods to Cymoril as a quick jab. "To be prepared to fight until the end, do what needs doing, to have the heart of a warrior. If we are heroes, that is what is necessary, and no matter how much power Amber granted you that brings us to the same level can be a substitute for that heart. Once again, I don't claim to be a great warrior, by all accounts I've lived my life as a weakling at the mercy of others, not even fit for womanhood. But I'll tell you this much." Confident you've gotten a good look at the occasional deep gash, she lowers her top. "I've been strung up by treacherous bandits, set on fire, drowned while whaling, trapped under the foot of a T-Rex - just this morning I waivered and my prey nearly got the better of me. And you know what? I don't fear death. Not my death, certainly. And we don't have the luxury for you all to spend a year's fruitless pilgrimage facing endless danger in lands not your own, so you'll have to settle for heeding my advice to bolster you just a little in time for our next conflict."

She backs up a little, chuckling, but clearly genuine as she holds eye contact with Makoto. "I think you might have what it takes to fight, redhead. You have that will. I can tell, you and I aren't that much apart. All you need is a little push to hone yourself." She turns on Daina, beaming. "How about that beat then, Daina?"
    Last edited by Princess Tracy; 2012-08-15 at 04:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

Cymoril just shakes her head at all this in-fighting.
    "Sara, is there anything i could use to calibrate my magical output? Once i have done that i should be able to train basic skills using Sturmbringer, and - well let's just hope that the others will be up for training as a team by then."

Spoiler
    Show
    In the movie, Nanoha uses Raising Heart to set up virtual training exercises. They're pretty obviously mostly for training how to use the device and basic skills, since there'd be no need for other training otherwise, but Cymoril needs to get acquainted with her basic skills anyway.
    Also a bit of a setup, for both Snowfire (you should know what i am talking about ) and as a contingency if i can't reply in time for other activities.

14. - Top - End - #164

"...fine then. Go ahead." Makoto shrugs at Umiko, palms raised in surrender. "Just don't go beating all the fear out of us poor, meek civilians. Cold terror is the best counter to adrenaline a soldier has - ditching it just makes you stupid, not brave." Dropping into a more relaxed pose and shifting her attention back towards Cymoril and Sera, the redhead appears to be finished.

"Still, this is supposed to be some kind of training facility, right? I would like to get in some team-based exercises, because hell, we need them sooner rather than later... but if everyone would prefer some individual sparring instead, that's cool too. Either way, let's get started - sitting around arguing isn't going to do much to prep us for fighting horrible terrors from beyond space and time."

Homebrew:

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Sara smiles knowingly at Umiko, then nods to Cymoril. "The system is pretty simple really, just ask for what you wa-" Makoto's request cuts her off before she can speak further. "There we go." She says, nodding at the redhead, nodding to herself as if counting. "And...there."

A form swims into existence in front of the group, featureless white light in the shape of an androgynous human.

"Co-operative training exercise selected. Specify level of simulation." A cool, sexless tone requests.

Sara grins. "It's an automated system, allowing all levels of training in a variety of environments as you wish." She steps forward towards the interface. "Configure for unfamiliar usage, step-by-step."

"Acknowledged, system calibrated."

She nods at Cymoril's next question, pauses for a moment, then shrugs and continues - her next words coming out slightly less firm than those before. "Activate Kaiserfarbe translation protocols for Cymoril and Sturmbringer."

"Searching...
    "Translation matrix found.
    "Initialising...
    "Error: corruption in database storage. Repair and recovery protocols active.
    "Initialising base translations shards."

A copy of the same figure snaps into being in front of Cymoril, reaching out to lay a 'hand' on the bracelet that is her device.
    "Knight Cymoril, apologies. This may be somewhat disorientating.
    "Accessing Sturmbringer database.
    "Configuration protocols active."

The figure collapses into a stream of light that flows up over Cymoril, sheathing her in a skin-tight aura as her eyes go unfocused.

The first figure turns to Makoto at her repeated request.

"Five combatant team exercise formulated. Please specify opposing force and base location."
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-08-15 at 05:55 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

The odd effect the technology has on Cymoril invokes a reaction from Umiko, interrupting her halfway through trying to get the last word in against Makoto. "Is she..." She clears her throat, stepping to Cymoril's side as she squints, making sure not to touch any of the light sheathing her. "Hey, coward, are you feeling okay?" Finding her face suficiently free to take a risk, she give s a 'light' slap to the face in an attempt to bring her back to her senses.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Heal" check (slap) for a laugh (1d20+6)[18]

As the figure asks Makoto for input, Umiko flatly advises "Go for something like a pack of wolves, we'll start slow so as to take the measure of these abilities."

17. - Top - End - #167

"Let's see... well, no real reason to beat around the bush here." Makoto makes a vague 'carry on' gesture. "Bruiser has it right - just about anything would work. Actually... can you simulate a few of the baseline offensive and defensive techniques of the neverwere and give them to whatever you set up? We've got a decent idea of what we'll be putting this training to use against, so might as well take advantage of that. As for a location, set us up in an urban area if you can. Pretty sure we'll be fighting in a city at least a few more times."

"And uh," Makoto gives Cymoril a curious look. "That's... pretty cool. What's it do?"

Homebrew:

18. - Top - End - #168

Please read all the spoilers, since they contain translations and important information, i merely put it in spoilers to not disrupt the flow of the text.

Initializing Training Program. Accessing Combatant Information. Establishing Link. Brainwaves Compatible. Fusing in progress.
    Cymoril barely notices the programs voice as her mind races over a thousand scenes. Each is filled with smoke and thunder and battle and lightning. She recognizes a few from her history books, and it looks like she is going back in time - further than any history book she has ever read.

She hovers over the ruins of an ancient city. Beings similar to the Neverwere rampage around it. A lone warrior stands in the middle of broken bodies, clutching a grievous wound. She begins to sing, and the air around her begins to swirl into a raging storm. A chant begins to ring around her, strong voices from far away.
    Aus dem Dunkel geborgen
    ein Sturm zieht auf
    der Feind verborgen
    ein Falke steigt auf.

Die Seele verloren
    die Klinge entfacht
    der Krieger beschworen
    mit Sturmes Macht

Blut und Seelen
    die Herrin ruft
    der Feind verschlungen
    sie steigt aus der Kluft

Spoiler
    Show
    Rough translation which i just can't shape into a proper poem in english. Not that it was a very good one to begin with *shrugs* Just to give you an idea what is going on.

Brought from Darkness
    a storm is coming
    enemies concealed
    a falcon is rising

The soul is lost
    the blade aroused
    the warrior summoned
    with tempests might

Blood and Souls
    the lady calls
    the enemy consumed
    she rises from the abyss

a black blade begins to form in the warriors hand, and her body convulses with sparks of lightning. A storm is rising over the whole city, bringing down the neverwere. The chant continues and is soon drowned out by thunder. Cymoril is drawn to the center of the cataclysm, unable to resist with all her might. Her body rushes towards that of the lone warrior.
    Sturmbringers voice echoes in her mind.
    Kaiserfarbe: Gelber Bernstein
    Sturmritterin erkannt.
    Beginne Bindung

Spoiler
    Show
    Kaiserfarbe: Yellow Amber
    Stormknight recognized
    Bound initialized

Everything explodes into movement too fast for Cymoril to follow. She whirls over the ground and leaps trough the air, unhindered by the raging storm around her. Lightning crashes into the Neverwere, and her blade drains them from existence. Every passing moment of chaos makes her stronger, the ordered center of the storm.
    The fight continues. More and more Neverwere show up, an ocean of them ravaged by a raging cyclone. After a fleeting eternity, she passes out.

Where...how..when...how long..
    Cymoril blinks. She is surrounded by strange people in an unknown place.
    No, wait, one of them...that little girl. She's familiar somehow...i know her. And maybe that one too? Wait...Amber. That means...wait, i'm on Amber! I rember!
    Cymoril stares into the training room, recognizing the rest of her Pentacle occupied with various activities.
    "How long was i out? And why does everything feel different?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not long, only a few minutes at most. Cymoril now feelsvery different for a reason known to Snowfire that will be revealed, but she doesn't actually look and different than she did before.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

The interface focuses on Makoto for a moment, blinding pinpoints of light in the place of eyes seeming to see through her. It repeats the process on the others in the room - barring Sara and Cymoril - then nods.

"Urban environment confirmed. Nevertouched combat program activated. Initiating scaling combat exercise."

The room around you warps, then everything around you melts away into a new environment. You find yourself standing in an empty city square, very similar to the one you fought in two nights past. It's dusk, the city lights only just beginning to activate. And from around there rises low growls.

Cymoril snaps back into wakefulness, blinking at the sudden transition, and the program seems to take that as its cue. From all around the square they come, wolves - but not like any you have ever seen. Their skin ripples, undulating like some strange obsidian liquid, and malevolent hate glares across the space between you.

Four, seven, twelve of them slink forward, their very presence dimming the lights behind them and menace radiating from their every move.

Spoiler
    Show
    You have a prep round as last combat. Initiative please.
    Show

<struck dumb>

20. - Top - End - #170

Cymoril watches the monstrous wolves circle around her, and commits to her strong protective impulses. She steps towards the wolves at a calm pace, drawing their attention.
    "Sturmbringer - let's be the eye of the storm."
    Auge des Sturms!
    Lightning explodes around Sturmbringers blade, over Cymorils armor and coils into swirling winds around her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative count 15 (yet another sub-par roll). Also triggering Cartridge Boost (Shocking and Keen) and Vigil of Candles, as well as stepping somewhere i can interecept the wolves from charging the others and make use of Vigil of Candles.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ah good, you're okay," Umiko sighs in what seems to be... relief (?), as she stands on her tiptoes to be eye level with the better-developed girl.

As the battle is clearly afoot, Umiko strongly considers letting the beasts go first to make things interesting. However, she quickly remembers this is a mere training exercise and disciplines herself for trying to be impressive. Just after talking of the folly of pride. "It could have been worse," she chuckles, as she sees the monsters forming. "It could have been pixymphs - little fairies from my world, shot you with arrows to manipulate emotions. Valentines Day was their unholy day of celebration where they entered into the world to mess with the hearts of young maidens and men alike to make them fall unconditionally for one another, at complete random pairings. At least these things just try and kill you."

DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, seriously
    Spoiler
    Show
    How funny would it be if the training room AI happened to take Umiko's unwitting suggestion as the next cued up set of opponents - the dreadful love-pixies? Or if she got hit by an arrow and stumbled around, covering her eyes in fear - knowing sh ewould fall for the first perosn she laid eyes on but not how to remove the effects of their love arrows? Or they randomly shot around other-emotion affecting arrows? Of course, if the effects persisted beyond the training exercise it would be more character-grating than a comical interlude.

She draws the Kenpachi seal from her belongings, taking her eyes off her foes for just a second before snapping her gaze back to the wolves. I'm still relying on Defendant support, huh? Still... it's nice to have met him, to know he cares at least a little. Last fight, when i encountered the neverwere, I shouted out random things that echoed in my soul, among them being the invocation of Kenpachi. I won't... I can't let myself become that THING again, that woman who isn't me, yet... She pockets the seal. "He seemed sad to see me hurt," she says, becoming quite aware of her unhealed wounds from the morning. "Nothing else for it. I'm going to have to use at least some of those powers to keep safe, if only to keep him happy." With a barrier of doubt degraded and disposed of, a great burst of energy echoes out; her soul wreathed in gouts of flame, her being ekes out energy, binding her defences.

Nodding as she sees Cymoril circle around, Umiko tries to synchronise her methods a little; accounting for Cymoril's weapon type and facing, she clasps her hands together, she tries to remember the invocations of last night. Eventually giving up on subtlety, she strikes a stance and exhales strongly, forcing the air out and trusting her own inner light as she pumps her arms out in arc. "I don't like being surrounded, so I suggest some of you stay right back!" A great barrier of light springs up at her command, a great beam shooting from herself, forging itself in midair as a thick little wall. Just as before, sure enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gain 5 motes at start of turn, use 1 to cast Fragile shell; this will be in a semicricle facing the most neverwere wolves, limiting Cymoril's focus to the lesser group to start with. The facing if need be would be ten feet perpindicular to group and a few feet from us, then the other 10 foot square sections of wall at a 45 degree angle to that. She makes sure to bias the wall a bit to make Cymoril and herself the most viable targets.
    \_/

That done, the group free to focus their attention on part of the wolves, she breathes in deep, her spiritual energy spiking again as she attempts to gather her energy for personal defence.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 mote to use Beacon of Serenity on self, for 12 points of temporary HP, trading down my standard action for a swift action, then make a DC 13 concentration check to gain 3 motes (gee I wonder if I'll succeed)
    (1d20+12)[30]

This will bring my stats up to HP 55/62, AC 13, motes 6, temporary HP 18, DR 4/evil at the end of the preperatory turn. I act on initiative 7 so I had to make the most of this turn.

"Come on, you freaks of nature. You embarrassment to wolves, i don't have all day!"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Temeka looks in concern at Cymoril yet the room chance and subsequent introduction of something hostile draws her away from inquiring further. "Um... Callisto?"

"Yes Temeka."

"I think I'm going to need that outfit..."

"Noted, this one will execute it for you. Initializing procedure Protective Light, subroutine Set Up... Executing." Light explodes around the feet of Temeka. As it whirls pieces break of, 'solidifying' into metal, and attaching themselves to the girl in the eye of the storm until she looks much like she did in the last fight.

"This is my cue?" Chisaki cheerfully quips as the housecat exterior fades away leaving behind metal. Growing metal. Panels begin to shift and rearrange making the cat somehow bigger until Chisaki once again resembles a large tiger.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

So, Umiko wanted Daina to provide a beat while they train? Well, it's not like I won't provide one, but it isn't that simple, the music needs to be properly matched to the type of training we do. And she's asking again...

♪In just a moment♪

I'll play something once we start the training. So, that voice must be the training room controls. Odd how they make it originate from an empty spot in the room... Perhaps there is a visual cue there?

The room changed. Somehow the way the sound moved around has become different. It seems like, the place where we first appeared here.
    Hearing the wolves, Daina prepares to fight. Remembering what was said before she calls forth a defensive outfit, while her turntables effortlessly appear in her hands starting to play music already.

Actions OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Full round action to summon costume, free action to manifest turn tables with keen and thundering.

Line played is from In Just A Moment Time from the Skullgirls OST.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

24. - Top - End - #174

"Hm. Well then." Makoto held out a hand in front of her, palm up. "Hound, on me! Weapon and armor, now please!" The soft clanking noise of the materializing lance was still odd, but the redhead was starting to recognize it at least. Makoto caught the crimson and gold shaft deftly, moving it behind her in a 'ready' position as she felt the combat fatigues take shape around her body.

"So..." It was barely a mutter, Makoto speaking more to herself than anyone else. "What else can you do, little stabbystick? Jump, kill, form up armor... gotta be a few other tricks. Let's see if we can wheedle those out now..."

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Full-round action to summon costume. Equip Device.

Homebrew:

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Music

Sara, her form gone ethereal and ghostlike, smiles as you draw deep from the endless well of Light that you have been connected to as Amber's newest Pentacle, cloaking yourself in the protection it offers. Weapons blaze against the oncoming darkness, deadly tools crafted to protect the beacons you have now become.

The wolves falter for a moment in their advance as the Light flares outwards from their prospective prey, rippling across the darkness-clad beings. But if they stop, they do so only for the brief moment it takes for fear to be replaced by rage. Rage at those who would dare wield the Light against them, who would try to stop them. And coupled with that was a writhing, hateful, burning hunger. Nothingness flashes where eyes should be, icy hatred removing even black. And they surge forward in one massive wave, howls bursting from their muzzles as the charge the radiant barricade created by Umiko.

That wall hinders their options, but it doesn't slow them down. Three each of the twelve charge each of the three strongpoints of the wall, those who now stand at its center and to each side - enhancing the passive protection of a wall with their ability to strike. The final three wolves slip through unhindered, but that is only a quarter of their strength against equal numbers. The forwards have done their job well. And now they strike out at the wolf-things attempting to overwhelm them.

Lightning blazes around simple Light on the left, Cymoril surrendering utterly to the instincts of protection pouring through her - now amplified by Sturmbringer. They were both of them guards, dedicated to the goal of protection. Neither would allow the other to falter. And, perhaps far more importantly, this was something Cymoril knew. She might not have fought a true battle before her awakening, but this was training. She could do training in her sleep! And with Sturmbringer in her hand and at her side, she would hold.

Her blade flared white and gold, piercing the shadow-flesh of her foes as she struck out at the three trying to surround her. Long, lethal cuts sliced through the monster's, pale golden sparks curling and arcing around them as her blade passed.

At the center of the wall, Umiko sprang forward at the first wolf to approach her, foot lashing out to sideswipe the beast's snout. It slammed first into it, then through it as light pulsed around the source of the blow. The beast recoiled, a snarling yelp growling form deep in its throat.

To the right Chisaki, now grown to her full power, pounced on the first of the corrupted animal's to come within reach, her crystal teeth burning great tears into the phantom flesh of her target.

And behind her radiant music echoed as Daina responded to the threat approaching her. A single disc arced from her hand, tearing a jagged furrow from snout to tail through the wolf she had targeted. Music crashed and blazed against the beast's flesh, biting and tearing at its being.

But, even if many were now wounded, none of the wolves fell. And now it was their turn. They surged forward across the last of the distance, black ichor dripping from mouths full of hungry teeth.

Cymoril, now boxed in on two sides by the wolves and one by the wall she anchored, twisted around the lunging assault of one, Sturmbringer's crackling blade turning aside another. But the last attack landed, it origin ducking under her blade to sink razor teeth in the armour around her ankle. It jerked on the pierced limb, trying to unseat the girl-knight, then withdrew with a yip as Sturmbringer slashed through the space it had occupied a moment before.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cymoril, take (1d8+7)[12]+(1d6)[2]

Umiko, apparently unwilling to summon her protections, found herself faring rather worse than her companions, two of the three attacks breaching her defense to sink razor teeth into her. The third, in fact, almost connected, but was deflected awry by a dancing mote of light that stabbed the wolf as it sprang. The two who did hit her tried to pull her down, down to where they could maul and rip her to pieces, but she stood firm against that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Umiko: (2d8+14)[28]+(2d6)[5]

Chisaki fared the same as Umiko, although in the cat's case she was able to avoid the third attack by her own skill. And even as the wolves sank their teeth into the metal that composed her form, she shook them off easily. Cats. Didn't. Trip.

Spoiler
    Show
    And Chisaki takes: (2d8+14)[17]+(2d6)[9]

Daina however seemed to flow away from the biting jaws aimed for her, the beats of her music sending her this way when the wolves would have wished her to go that way. Her turntables whirled about her, their music singing around them in anticipation for their time to strike.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-08-24 at 04:29 AM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Umiko grunts more in challenge than pain as she is bitten. This? This is nothing. Those abilities i used seemed sufficient to hold back most of the damage. I can outlast these cretins, easy. I won't go back to being that person who isn't me, certainly not to save my own skin from this slightest pain, no.

She sees Daina being ganged up on, but is thankful to see her dodge well. She doesn't need me to protect her, or anyone else. She considers giving battle advice, but thinks better of it, instead deciding to leave them at their own discretion, however flawed - this is training, after all.

Focusing, she brings out her light. She slams down her head upon the nearest wolf and lashes out with her foot at another. Slamming her foot back into the ground solidly, after her attempt to stop Chisaki she sidesteps to a more favoured position. With a quick flurry of her hands, she gathers the energy to protect herself again as she hones her energy.

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Start of turn; generate two motes, bringing total to 8.

Standard Action; use two attacks (TWF) to attack wolves 10 and 4
    Atack against 10, (1d20+12)[14]
    Damage (2d8+11)[20]

Attack against 4 (1d20+12)[27]
    Damage(2d8+11)[19]

5 foot step; if either 10 or 4 wolf dies, move into their space. If both drop, move into 4's square (N, 11). If neither dies, make sure do dismiss barrier, then 5 foot step to the right.

Swift Action: use illumination at cost of 1 mote to charge defences (12 temp HP)

Move Action: Concentration check (1d20+12)[29] against DC 17 to bring motes up to 10

End of turn; gain temp HP equal to motes.

Stats
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP 40, temporary HP 22, motes 10, AC 13, CMD 21

Afterthoughts;
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kind of disappointing attack method, taking on two at a time. I should have at least gone for heatbreaker, but I'm not known for good decisions. Think I'll go for the Angel Buster next turn; I predict... 5 of these things dropping this turn.
    Last edited by Princess Tracy; 2012-08-24 at 07:14 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177

Cymoril barely flinches as the wolf snaps past her defenses, and pommels it with the hilt of her sword just like Vivio had thought her a hundred times. To her surprise sparks fly over the length of Sturmbringers blade, and a crescent of lightning forms around the wolves head before the two fields clash into a thundrous explosion.
    Donnerschlag!

She hears a cry from behind her, and untrained instincs kick in. While unable to look at Umiko while fending of three wolves, she just knows what is going on behind her. Cymoril leaps back from the stunned wolf and his comrades, and an ancient chant begins to ring in her head.
    Ich bin der Wind
    ich bin was du atmest
    und was dich trägt,
    und mein Zorn
    fegt deinen Feinden
    das Leben aus dem Leib

Sturmflügel!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am the wind
    i am what you breathe
    and what carries you,
    and my rage
    blows your foes
    lifes from their bodies

inspired by a poem of Anne BLax

She lands next to Umiko, and a shining bright wing erupts from her left shoulder. Another wing shines next to it, flapping in unison - but attached to Umiko. A strong wind pushes outward, carriying both girls slightly above the ground and pushing the wolves away.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Generate two motes
    pay one mote as upkeep for Vigil of Candles
    Standard Action: Sunny Daze on wolf 1, cost 2 motes
    Attack: (1d20+8)[21]
    Confirm: (1d20)[12]
    Damage: (1D10+10)[13] + (2D6)[6]
    5-foot step to L12
    Swift-action to activate Loyal Oath, targeted on Umiko

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

A slight grin graces Daina's face as she dodges the attacks of the wolves. These things hum with the unsound of those neverwere. Just that is enough to warrant their destruction. So decided, she lets loose another number of blows on the wolf she had previously harmed.

During one blow, the music seems louder and more sweet, it reaches to Cymoril healing some of her wounds, even as it causes even more harm for the wolf.

Actions OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Daina uses heartbreaker on wolf 6, leaving her at 5 motes. Use rolls in this post. If the second offhand attack is not a critical, ignore the second paragraph, otherwise the healing goes to Cymoril. If wolf 6 dies, Daina will take a 5 foot step to move into its square.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Temeka glances in concern towards Chisaki yet the encroaching arm of wolves demands her attention. "Lets light them up!"

"Initializing Luminous Rain, targeting mode."

Blips of light fan out surrounds one of the wolves as Temeka brings her arms up. Barrels already rotating. Once leveled small tongues of flame vomit forth as the girl volleys lead at the targeted wolf.

Chisaki on the other hand growls as she lashes out at one of her irritants.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Temeka targeting wolf 9 with Luminous Rain and all four bullets.
    Attack (1d20+12)[20]
    Damage [roll]1d8+1d4[/roll]
    Attack (1d20+7)[9]
    Attack (1d20+12)[16]
    Attack (1d20+7)[20]

Chisaki attacking wolf 12.
    Bite Attack (1d20+14)[17]
    Bite Damage (2d6+8)[16]
    Claw Attack (1d20+9)[15]
    Claw Damage (1d6+4)[10]
    Claw Attack (1d20+9)[25]
    Claw Damage (1d6+4)[6]
    Grapple Attempts
    (1d20+21)[35]
    (1d20+21)[22]
    (1d20+21)[22]

30. - Top - End - #180

"Okay Mako, you can do this. Crazy wolf facestab time. This is such a fethin' terrible idea..." Makoto mutters under her breath as she tightens her grip on her weapon. "Hound, hunt!" Even knowing it was coming, the abrupt departure from ground level was going to take some getting used to.

Makoto tumbled through the air, let her lance extend in a lethal downward thrust, landed with most of her momentum intact. She wasn't sure if she'd hit just yet - things were too chaotic right now, and she didn't want to stop and look now that she was behind enemy lines. But before the links of her weapon could retract, a thought struck her. At least, Makoto sincerely hoped it was her thought. With a sharp flick of her wrist, the redhead sent the elogated lance whipping to her left.

"Hound, embed!" At the shouted command, the lance shattered, each piece save the one in her own hands lodging itself in the ground with a sharp 'Thunk!'. A moment later, the shattered pieces of brass and iron glinted, each erupting upwards into a makeshift fencepost of sorts. Chains quickly threaded between them, bisecting enemy lines with yet another barrier.

Makoto, of course, saw none of this until she turned around, some ten yards beyond the point she had landed. As the lance regenerated fully in her hand, she had to admit, it was a damn impressive weapon.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jumpcharge Wolf 3, landing in E4 (Using the R0 block of our map as reference) and moving 30 ft north from there (to a hypothetical E-2). Not going to bother with a Power Attack, since I doubt they can properly withstand a normal one and accurately whittling them down is more important than anything right now.

Jump Check: (1d20+61)[80]
    Attack To-Hit: (1d20+12)[30]
    Damage: (1d8+13)[21] * 4 = 84

Also, expending 1 mote and a Swift action to drop a Fragile Shell on the M|N border, with the south corner linking to the west end of Umiko's barrier and extending directly north for 20 ft.

Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 62/62
    Motes: 6/7
    Mote Upkeep: 1

AC: 21
    Fort: +6 | Ref: +9 | Will: +5
    Last edited by Selinia; 2012-08-30 at 04:51 PM.

Homebrew: