New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    Most characters in fiction don't have superpowers, much less combo platter powers!
    I don't care? the people that don't have superpowers are boring. they only mildly interest me a little, and even then thats when they are badass enough to do cool things.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

An Exalted 'Genus' list to the best of my ability to recall.

Mortals
    ->Animals
    ->Human Mortals
    ->Technically, plants (I think.)

Enlightened Mortals
    ->Enlightened Mortals
    ->God-bloods, Ghost-bloods, Half-Caste, etc.

Spirits
    ->Gods
    ->Demons
    ->Ghosts
    ->Elementals
    ->Devas (Note: the different between Deva and Demon is primarily political.)
    ->Subroutines/'Subgods' of Autochthonia
    ->The Incarnae, probably

Behemoths
    ->Unique creations of the Primordials
    ->NOT Fair Folk Behemoths, although the two are often confused!

Exalted
    ->Celestial Exalted
    ->->Solars
    ->->Lunars
    ->->Sidereals
    ->Terrestrial Exalted
    ->->Dragon-Blooded
    ->Primordial Exalted
    ->->Green Sun Princes
    ->->Alchemicals
    ->->Abyssals (Possibly.)
    ->Akuma

Primordial Beings
    ->Primordials (Gaia and Autochthon; possibly others not yet encountered.)
    ->Yozis (A purely political distinction, although the Yozis have mostly been lessened in power.)
    ->Neverborn (Possibly. They're so changed they may no longer count.)

Unusual Creations
    ->The People of Adamant ('Mountain Folk' while shattered)
    ->Autochthonian Exmachina
    ->Some of the Darkbrood

Things
    ->Rocks
    ->Machines
    ->Automata which do not have Automata Virtues
    ->Fair Folk Behemoths, possibly
    ->Mechanically, plants

Automata
    ->Automata which have Automata Virtues

The Fair Folk/Raksha
    ->Common, Shaped
    ->Noble, Shaped
    ->Unshaped
    ->->Unshaped Emanations
    ->Fair Folk Behemoths, possibly
    ->Ishvara, possibly

The Beyond of Oramus
    ->Luna, sometimes
    ->Prince Laashe
    ->Other non-possitbilities

Exaltations (Indestructible)
    ->Solar 'shards'
    ->Lunar 'shards'
    ->Sidereal 'shards'
    ->Green Sun Prince 'shards'
    ->Abyssal 'shards'

Principles of Reality
    ->Shinma
    ->The Beyond
    ->The Void
    ->Elsewhere, possibly
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2012-08-03 at 01:23 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I don't care? the people that don't have superpowers are boring. they only mildly interest me a little, and even then thats when they are badass enough to do cool things.
    Batman is boring? Any Greek hero who wasn't a demi-god is boring? Those are some high standards you hold there.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post

-snip-
    You forgot Shinma.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Batman is boring? Any Greek hero who wasn't a demi-god is boring? Those are some high standards you hold there.
    Personal preferences: not allowed.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I still don't know of any media which has people with DB + Solar powers. Justice League? Avengers? X-Men? Spidey? Berserk? One Piece? AtlA? FMA? TTGL?

The closest thing I can think of is Percy Jackson when he had the Curse of Achilles.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-08-03 at 10:17 AM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I still don't know of any media which has people with DB + Solar powers. Justice League? Avengers? X-Men? Spidey? Berserk? One Piece? AtlA? FMA? TTGL?

The closest thing I can think of is Percy Jackson when he had the Curse of Achilles.
    Dragon Ball Z seems appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    You forgot Shinma.
    Curses! I shall edit it in.
    Show
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post

yea, but there have been elemental peoples doing Solar level stuff, and not just with silly energy blasts. those are like the most basic of basics, firing raw stuff at people.

and if you really have to ask…..Naruto, Avatar (Airbender + Korra), Magic: The Gathering, Codex Alera….

@Turalisj: and yes, they are boring. an all-prepared detective? meh. I prefer something closer to Tony Stark. furthermore, I can't really tell what skills they are using to make them heroic. they are so "internal" so to speak, its hard to discern what they are actually doing, and so I don't feel like they really done anything at all…..

but then again…..I'm an eccentric by any standard. even my own.

Edit: I dunno, I guess I just can't relate to Pure Human Awesomeness for some reason. Feels too much like Superman. and Superman is boring.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2012-08-03 at 02:23 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

Enlightened Mortals
    ->Enlightened Mortals
    ->God-bloods, Ghost-bloods, Half-Caste, etc.
    God-Blooded should be a category in their own right, not one rolled into Enlightened Mortals. Since many aren't mortals at all, not to mention those that aren't even human.

If anything that should be:
    Heroic Mortals
    ->Heroic Mortals
    ->Enlightened Mortals

God-Blooded
    ->Spirit-Blooded (God-Blooded proper, Elemental-Blooded, Demon-Blooded, etc)
    ->Fae-Blooded
    ->Ghost-Blooded
    ->Half-Castes
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kiero View Post
    God-Blooded should be a category in their own right, not one rolled into Enlightened Mortals. Since many aren't mortals at all, not to mention those that aren't even human.

If anything that should be:
    Heroic Mortals
    ->Heroic Mortals
    ->Enlightened Mortals

God-Blooded
    ->Spirit-Blooded (God-Blooded proper, Elemental-Blooded, Demon-Blooded, etc)
    ->Fae-Blooded
    ->Ghost-Blooded
    ->Half-Castes
    Mechanically, Heroic Mortals mostly remain mortals unless also Enlightened/Awakened, and God-blooded etc. are Enlightened mortals, perhaps with extra add-ons - just as all Exalted are Exalted, who then have additional bits.

Remember that this is NOT a tier or playstyle list, but in-setting and mechanical definition categories.

However tainted by their contact with the Wyld, Fae-blooded are still Enlightened Mortals first.
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2012-08-03 at 10:04 PM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Mechanically, Heroic Mortals mostly remain mortals unless also Enlightened/Awakened, and God-blooded etc. are Enlightened mortals, perhaps with extra add-ons - just as all Exalted are Exalted, who then have additional bits.

Remember that this is NOT a tier or playstyle list, but in-setting and mechanical definition categories.

However tainted by their contact with the Wyld, Fae-blooded are still Enlightened Mortals first.
    You know the reason I disagree with this view? Because God-Blooded of all descriptions have a native charmset. Something no other enlightened mortal (regardless of enlightened by a charm, mutation, thaumaturgical ritual, or meditation) has. Even things like the lunar charm which gives access to lunar charms doesn't make it so they're native charms, only that the mortal has access to the charms as long as the lunar cares to commit the motes to them.

Yes Enlightened Mortals can learn charms from martial arts, or learn sorcery, but these are all universal (the beings who can't learn them are the exceptions rather than the rule).
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You know the reason I disagree with this view? Because God-Blooded of all descriptions have a native charmset. Something no other enlightened mortal (regardless of enlightened by a charm, mutation, thaumaturgical ritual, or meditation) has. Even things like the lunar charm which gives access to lunar charms doesn't make it so they're native charms, only that the mortal has access to the charms as long as the lunar cares to commit the motes to them.

Yes Enlightened Mortals can learn charms from martial arts, or learn sorcery, but these are all universal (the beings who can't learn them are the exceptions rather than the rule).
    I thought that (X)-blooded could not take Native charms? It doesn't matter, however, because: Different Exalted/Different Spirit types can have different native charms, without being of totally different general kinds.

Not all God-blooded are born that way, either; some deities can transform mortals into God-blooded. To my knowledge, no being can move between classes - a Demon can maybe be reforged into a God, but a Raksha cannot. Any type of Exalted cannot become any of the other types.

The only 'exception' to this is with death turning your Hun soul into a ghost, but it is emphasized sometimes that the resultant ghost is not 'you' in a sense, so much as an imprint of 'you'. And the Neverborn strain a lot of rules, so badly that it threatens the survival of the world.

Also, there IS a single thing Native to mortals: Alchemical Demiurge. It's a little weird, but it's there if you want to discuss it. I'm not sure how useful such a discussion would be.

I don't believe that Enlightened Mortals NEED a Native charmset in order to be grouped with God-Blods and such; all of those are modifications of Enlightened Mortals defined by still being an Enlightened Mortal - if you make a God-Blood enough like a God,they might become one, but until then they are defined in part by being still an Enlightened Mortal.
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2012-08-04 at 04:04 AM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

A native charmset is a charmset that is naturally avaiable to those who belong to your class of essence user, it is separate from the Native keyword, which denotes a charm in a charmset that cannot be subject to charm-share.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Also, Alchemical Demiurge isn't a charm, it's a mutation. Everyone can get mutations.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, Alchemical Demiurge isn't a charm, it's a mutation. Everyone can get mutations.
    Except Alchemical Demiurge, only mortals can get that one.

And those other mutations that the exalted can't have.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Except Alchemical Demiurge, only mortals can get that one.

And those other mutations that the exalted can't have.
    Yeah, but my point was that the mechanics support mutations going to anyone, and it's only called out in the specific mutation whether or not an exalt can get it. And Alchemical Demiurge is definitely not a charm.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #407
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Sorry to all people with wich I were arguing/discussing things earlier ... but I stopped replying out of fear to transgress site-rules since it looked more and more, for me, to border on RL philosophy and religion.

One thing that I believe I could safely spell my own opinion about: The so called oppression over the humans by Primordials.

That argument seem very, very stretched since humans as a race in Primordial Plan were having very humble position. Generally beneath notice. No Primordial favored the humans as their pet-race like Kimbery did with Lintha, asides from the tribe that worshiped Gaia. They were too unimportant to really matter, like the lack of Primordial Attack Geas put on them indicated. The so called oppression from Primordials could be something akin to someone walking in the park and accidentally stomping on ants. Not even noticing these ants. For us it's something akin to natural disaster happening.

With the exception of Ebon Dragon's overall scheme to make all that is suffer. But he's "source of all evul" in Exalted so it couldn't be helped.

The only ones who were in position to directly oppress humans were Dragon Kings, who were tasked with ruling them. And average Dragon King isn't as wretched to be mean to his lessers, thus the oppressive DK's were rather exception than a rule.

The humans were too unimportant, outside their own glory-hungry dreams, to be as oppressed as some people suggest. That is only logical conclusion I could come with.

With the sole exception of Alchie Demiurge. it's only available to humans that belong to Autochton's Pattern. Happens randomly and almost like traditional Exaltation.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

You left out the Scorpion Empire. :(
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    You left out the Scorpion Empire. :(
    Give us anything more than a sentence on them and we'll start including them. Same goes for liminals. Until then, no.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

Give us anything more than a sentence on them and we'll start including them. Same goes for liminals. Until then, no.
    This. I'm ignoring the possibility of either existing until we actually get something for them.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

What are those? I've never heard of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

They're a throwaway line in Masters of Jade. Something from the Wyld which is neither raksha or primordial. They don't really exist yet.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

They're a throwaway line in Masters of Jade. Something from the Wyld which is neither raksha or primordial. They don't really exist yet.
    That's Liminals or Scorpion Empire?

And what's the other one?
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

That's the Scorpion Empire. The liminals appear to be some kind of exalt associated with the underworld we haven't encountered yet.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

That's the Scorpion Empire. The liminals appear to be some kind of exalt associated with the underworld we haven't encountered yet.
    I thought Abyssals were the underworld ones?
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #416
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I thought Abyssals were the underworld ones?
    The Underworld is a big place. Exalted is a big place.
    what I am interested in is far more complex and nuanced than something you can define in so few words.

ಠ__ಠ

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Plague of Hats View Post
    The Underworld is a big place. Exalted is a big place.
    ...actually, how much bigger than Earth is Creation in terms of surface area? I forget.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Depends: I've seen some say it's larger, some smaller.

It is known that it has more land area, with is a big factor.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

29. - Top - End - #419
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    ...actually, how much bigger than Earth is Creation in terms of surface area? I forget.
    I can't remember exactly. Per the First and Second Edition maps, the depicted world has a total square surface area that is less than Earth's, but has a significant chunk more land mass. And then there's the fact that it's perfectly reasonable to have undersea civilizations, even if all the ones published so far are pretty boring and no one remembers them.
    what I am interested in is far more complex and nuanced than something you can define in so few words.

ಠ__ಠ

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Are we talking with the Wyld or without the Wyld? With the Wyld, Creation is bigger in all possible ways.

Also, are we counting Heaven or the Underworld?

If we discount all of those, the interior book cover map is 16.5 inches by a little under 11 inches. According to the scale, one inch is about 800 miles. Some math gives us 116,160,000 square miles to the map.

Earth's surface is about 196,939,900 square miles, so Creation proper has about 59% of the Earth's surface area.

However, Creation is about 75% landmass and Earth is only 30% landmass. Creation has about 1.5 times as much land area as Earth.

Basically, in the ways that matters to people, Creation is bigger, even though there is technically more surface area to the Earth.