New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

I weep for the state of Creation.

I mean yes, at those essence levels a solar could almost certainly just punch the ground into lava or something but still, its the principle of the thing.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    I weep for the state of Creation.

I mean yes, at those essence levels a solar could almost certainly just punch the ground into lava or something but still, its the principle of the thing.
    You mean at Essence 6? Not really.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone want 100 pages of free Exalted material? Specifically material for Autochthonia?

4. - Top - End - #724
    Troll in the Playground

So, here's a question for the ages:

Do chopsticks use MA or Melee? Ditto for Forks.

Knives are obviously melee, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

5. - Top - End - #725

Quote Originally Posted by industrious View Post
    Do chopsticks use MA or Melee?
    Well, pretty much ANY non-"natural" close-combat weapon is going to be able to be used with Melee, but one could argue a chopstick counts as a stick, which has the M tag in Scroll of the Monk, so Martial Arts is an option.

Forks would be Melee, being tridents sized for folks with the Diminutive mutation.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-09-13 at 12:52 AM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Does this relate to the current scense?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

7. - Top - End - #727
    Barbarian in the Playground

I apologize for, once again, my question being both wholly unrelated to the current conversation and wholly without the realm of canon. My question being, would anyone care to share some ideas on the repurcussions of a primordial soul-hierarchy passing through Lethe, after having been methodically reduced inorder to allow such a thing to happen? Canonical references would be interesting, though I doubt there a significant amount of such, if any, and are not the priority of what I'm looking for, that being ideas in general.

I have a couple of ideas myself, some shared with a couple of posters on WW forum, where I've asked this question several months ago, though I'll only bother to share them myself if you anyone shows any interest.

Thank you for your consideration, and for allowing me this opportunity to collect ideas.

As an afterthought, mechanical conceptions are equally welcome as non-mechanical ones, though I make no requirement of either, nor could I.
    A gracious thanks to Bradakhan for the avatar, and Time Walk's card artist, Amy Weber.

k: ar k ar a rkar k ar k r a kr k a rk r kar k rar kr !

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

By default they should be melee. However I'm sure there are SMA that would count cutlery for Martial Arts. Solar Hero Style counts any imprpvised weapon right?

An in the world of homebrew, we have the Orichalcum Chef Style and God of Cookery style.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodalite View Post
    I apologize for, once again, my question being both wholly unrelated to the current conversation and wholly without the realm of canon. My question being, would anyone care to share some ideas on the repurcussions of a primordial soul-hierarchy passing through Lethe, after having been methodically reduced inorder to allow such a thing to happen? Canonical references would be interesting, though I doubt there a significant amount of such, if any, and are not the priority of what I'm looking for, that being ideas in general.

Well there should be nothing in canon, because IIRC Primordial Souls being too chunky to fit through Lethe is why the Neverborn exist.

If they did make into Lethe, I suppose that means that people would be spontaneously born with a Primordial soul instead of a regular human higher soul. At the very least the Essence difference between these should result in a type of Godblooded (probably Inheritance 5 given the sheer power of the Yozis), and an alarm going off in Yu Shan if the Yozis are still imprisoned when they discover this, because it could be a plot to escape by having their Souls be a real part of Creation again.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-09-13 at 02:15 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sodalite View Post

I have a couple of ideas myself, some shared with a couple of posters on WW forum, where I've asked this question several months ago, though I'll only bother to share them myself if you anyone shows any interest.

Thank you for your consideration, and for allowing me this opportunity to collect ideas.

As an afterthought, mechanical conceptions are equally welcome as non-mechanical ones, though I make no requirement of either, nor could I.
    I believe that the quote in my sig which relates to batteries and radios was part of a discussion highly related to this, in that Primordial souls are fundamentally different from mortal ones.

Edit: actually, it was you who started that discussion.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-09-13 at 07:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I believe that the quote in my sig which relates to batteries and radios was part of a discussion highly related to this, in that Primordial souls are fundamentally different from mortal ones.

Edit: actually, it was you who started that discussion.
    Yep. I was like "didn't you ask this before?".
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

11. - Top - End - #731

GnomePirate

Sodalite, like others mentioned. Primordial souls, or the remnants of these, CAN'T make it into Lethe.

Of course there is nothing stopping you from little experimentation on that premise.
    Like changing Lethe to make them fit.
    Or reincarnating these souls without relying on Lethe in a process similar to what we can observe in "Lunar Quest" blog-discussion-game.
    Another option would be transformation of the Primordial souls into puny human souls, when they should be able to enter Lethe without problems.

Possibilities are many there. I wonder what would happen to Primordial soul who'd be consumed by Fair Folk with expansion charm to Soul Consuming Hunger.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

Devil Tiger question:

Once the character takes THotDT they are forbidden from learning (Yozi) Cosmic Principle. As part of the process they develop their own general Charms, do they develop their own Cosmic Principle that others can learn?

And if they do, can others learn it while the DT still lives or only after their Exaltation is set to a new host? eg. could an Akuma learn (Kobold-Bard) Cosmic Principle, while the original me is still around? If they can, what effect would that have on me?

And on a tangent, the book says that once the DT knows Swallowing the Scorpion, their free Exaltation will possess a Demon as a "irresistible Total Control effect". What if the the demon in question some how uses a Perfect Defence against that? I assume the Exaltation just pick a different target instead, but would the Yozi's know it happened?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, they develop a Principle.
    Yes, other people can learn it. However, this is unlikely to happen while they're alive, as they have to allow others access to their charms.
    The effect would be simple: There are two of you. I suggest making out.

I don't think demons get PDs, but I would assume it would stop the effect. It's possible that the exaltation would try again and again until the demon ran out of motes, but it could choose a new target. I do not think the yozi would know unless the demon told them.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Yes, they develop a Principle.
    Yes, other people can learn it. However, this is unlikely to happen while they're alive, as they have to allow others access to their charms.

Thanks, and good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post

The effect would be simple: There are two of you. I suggest making out.

Well, that's an .... interesting mental image.

I see that being true for Yozis, since they themselves know their Cosmic Principle charm.

However a DT doesn't know their's, they don't have a 1000 mote pool, and can't learn it's follow-up Charms. Would they really be a clone, like a Yozi would be?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-09-13 at 12:30 PM.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

True.
    The one with the principle would match it /exactly/.
    The DT is only TRYING to be that principle. Assumedly, the one with the charm would be everything the DT wanted to be.

Personally, I think it's a silly rule. If I'm playing a game with DTs, they can take cosmic principle. I wouldn't call it a good idea since they're no longer exalted, but they can.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Thanks, and good point.

Well, that's an .... interesting mental image.

I see that being true for Yozis, since they themselves know their Cosmic Principle charm.

However a DT doesn't know their's, they don't have a 1000 mote pool, and can't learn it's follow-up Charms. Would they really be a clone, like a Yozi would be?
    It wouldn't be a clone. It would be a new yozi (notably not bound by the surrender oaths) with all the themes and charms of a caricature of the devil tiger. The Devil Tiger retains their essential humanity (for a given value of humanity) so in the absence of shapechanging/mental alteration charms would still look human, think with human flexibility, etc. They could assume their shintai or activate charms to become inhuman, and they think better when they think like the caricature that is the yozi they invented because their excellency applies, but they still retain their memories, their flexibility, their form, etc. When they die, they truly die and can pass to lethe even if they have spawned themselves a deva pantheon. They're an in between being.

The new yozi isn't a clone, it's a political cartoon exaggeration of the devil tiger brought to life. It doesn't have a human body, it has a jouten which probably isn't even humanoid. It doesn't have the memories of the devil tiger that led to their personality, it just has that personality with the volume turned beyond maximum and the dial broken off. When it dies, it becomes a neverborn. The two don't share thoughts unless there's a specific charm that says otherwise, and the devil tiger could conceivably evolve away from the caricature of the personality, while the yozi will only "evolve" if someone starts amputating souls in the primordial equivalent of neurosurgery.

Still suggest making out though. Especially if you have some swallowed darkness style charms/themes in your excellency.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Still suggest making out though. Especially if you have some swallowed darkness style charms/themes in your excellency.
    And if you don't, you're doing it wrong. :3

18. - Top - End - #738

So, from a discussion on the WW forums today...

Quote Originally Posted by John Mørke
    Abjuration of the Maidens. You may have heard of it. It affects an area at least five miles in diameter, shutting off all Charms and sorcery within its area. It specifically exempts hearthstones and the abilities of higher-Essence spirits, as well as "the magical materials" (whatever that means; does that mean it shuts off artifacts not made of the magical materials?), and a higher-Essence sorcerer can shut it down by standing in the center and blasting it with Adamant Countermagic.

I'm curious as to what was intended by this spell - does having their Charms shut off mean that least gods and such can no longer oversee their domains? What about Permanent Charms, like Ox-Body Technique? If I have enough OBT's and enough damage on my health track, and I walk into this circle, do I drop dead?
    I dunno what was intended by that spell, but I intend to circle file it along with null essence grenades.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ettin in the Playground

I had an... amusing thought earlier today.

Venus: Saturn! I just checked Samsara, and you are supposed to be getting all nasty with Sol in, like, 5 minutes.

Saturn runs off and does so. Venus is left giggling, because she didn't actually check Samsara.

And, something along similar lines...

I just thought of the Reclamation Yozi having a board meeting.

Top item on the list: Reclaim creation.
    Second item: get Adorjan some earplugs (vetoed after TED did his whole "sarcastic repetition" thing.)
    Third item (added after TED had to leave to attend to the whole Scarlet Empress thing): Should TED even be on this council? None of us like him anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

20. - Top - End - #740
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm flattered at the suggestion, but Echoes of Infinity has about ten prerequisites. I think I'll stick to one or two Styles for now.

My party has obscenely powerful fighters, I basically picked up SMA to keep myself alive and do things they can't do. Two of them are great at one-on-one, one of them is an all arounder, and one is a Twilight Sorcerer. My character's actual design is to be the king of Social Combat, which he does rather well. DPC style seems like it would be a great match, but I wasn't overly thrilled. It will probably supplement CMS style when I have more xp to spend.

On a side note, is the proper word for Sidereal Martial Arts "Charms" or "Maneuvers"?
    Last edited by TimeWizard; 2012-09-13 at 09:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TimeWizard View Post
    On a side note, is the proper word for Sidereal Martial Arts "Charms" or "Maneuvers"?
    It's "Avoid at all costs".

Look, no matter how powerful the other characters are, they're not powerful enough to stand on top of Mount Meru and kill everybody in Creation.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

22. - Top - End - #742

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Look, no matter how powerful the other characters are, they're not powerful enough to stand on top of Mount Meru and kill everybody in Creation.
    Unless the First and Forsaken Lion joined the circle.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Unless the First and Forsaken Lion joined the circle.
    I still absolutely love the interpretation that Faffles is sabotaging the neverborn because he wants to rule over the underworld and creation, not destroy them.

To actually answer your question timewizard, they're charms. There are three categories of supernatural "skill" that exist in exalted. There are charms, which are dependent on the traits of the being who learns them and are the most commonly used magic effect. Most charms fall within the native charmset (note that this is distinct from the Native keyword) of a given type of being, being the natural expression of that being's essential magic. Martial arts are "non-native" charms, anyone with the essence and martial arts rating can learn terrestrial martial arts, any exalt can learn celestial martial arts (albeit only with great effort on the part of the dragonblooded). And there are sidereal martial arts, which come easiest to sidereals but can be passed to solars, abyssals, and lunar akuma with a suitable tutor.

Then there are spells, which work the same for everyone and can be learned by any being capable of the proper sorcerous or necromantic initiation. Such initiations can only be gained through a charmset or (in the case of mortals) special circumstances. Alchemicals have their own, slightly weird version called protocols which interface with the world in the same way. Fundamentally, the initiation allows you to take shape (sorcery, necromancy, weaving) actions, and those are employed for universal magical effects.

Finally, and on the lowest level, there's thaumaturgy. It's barely magic, relies on the natural law woven into creation, and can be employed by anyone who studies the occult in sufficient depth.

There are other magical effects of course. Anima powers and other intrinsic powers, artifacts, etc. But those aren't skills so much as a permanent alteration to imbue it with magic.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #744

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TimeWizard View Post
    My party has obscenely powerful fighters, I basically picked up SMA to keep myself alive and do things they can't do. Two of them are great at one-on-one, one of them is an all arounder, and one is a Twilight Sorcerer. My character's actual design is to be the king of Social Combat, which he does rather well. DPC style seems like it would be a great match, but I wasn't overly thrilled. It will probably supplement CMS style when I have more xp to spend.
    How exactly is that working out for him? Is he insane enough to actually cast in combat, or does he walk around with demonic bodyguards and have them beat up anything that gives him funny looks, like he should be doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    How exactly is that working out for him? Is he insane enough to actually cast in combat, or does he walk around with demonic bodyguards and have them beat up anything that gives him funny looks, like he should be doing?
    One would assume the latter. Since the game assumes chargen is having your powers for a year, any Twilight without at least a couple of hundred Demons at any point is just not trying.

I know Materialise is expensive, but could a Sorcerer have a legion of Demons following him incorporeally, then have them appear at random around the battlefield?

Edit: Forgot to thank golentan for his explanation of how Cosmic Principle would work. Thanks.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-09-14 at 02:12 AM.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    One would assume the latter. Since the game assumes chargen is having your powers for a year, any Twilight without at least a couple of hundred Demons at any point is just not trying.
    No way that could go horribly wrong.

Seriously though, sorcerous binding isn't perfect. The horror stories told about foolish sorcerers and demonologists who slip up somehow and pay a terrible price for their hubris are mostly exaggerated... but not entirely. Demons do have Limit tracks. If you've bound too many retainers for you to keep track of all your servants... well. That's asking for trouble. (Demons bound to guard a tomb are unlikely to gain Limit; demons who follow you around in immaterial form at all times are likely to rack it up in one way or another.)
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

27. - Top - End - #747

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    No way that could go horribly wrong.

Seriously though, sorcerous binding isn't perfect. The horror stories told about foolish sorcerers and demonologists who slip up somehow and pay a terrible price for their hubris are mostly exaggerated... but not entirely. Demons do have Limit tracks. If you've bound too many retainers for you to keep track of all your servants... well. That's asking for trouble. (Demons bound to guard a tomb are unlikely to gain Limit; demons who follow you around in immaterial form at all times are likely to rack it up in one way or another.)
    How does building an army of elementals compare in terms of power verse danger?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

Well... it's less convenient, for one: elementals can only be bound to servitude for a month, as opposed to a year and a day for demons. (If you give them a single task you can extend their service to a year and a day, but a demon given the same task can be bound forever.)

As for power versus danger... hard to say. Elementals aren't as alien as demons, but that doesn't mean they can't be dangerous. Depends entirely on what you choose to summon. Ditto for power; in general, low-Essence elementals and First Circle demons are vaguely equivalent. Some elementals are more powerful, but many of those have positions in the Terrestrial Bureaucracy, making them hard to get ahold of (they typically have the authority to send subordinates in their place when summoned, meaning you need to actually negotiate if you want their help). Demons are in some ways more straightforward.

Mechanically, the rules are the same as demon-binding. I think it'd probably be easier to hunt up a bunch of elementals you consider safe/trustworthy than it would be to find an equivalent bunch of demons, but neither is perfectly safe.

I feel like I'm overstating the danger a bit; I don't think summonings go wrong as a matter of routine, whether demon or elemental. But if I were a Storyteller and one of my players had dozens or hundreds of demon servants... how do you pass an opportunity like that up?
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2012-09-14 at 05:47 AM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Plus if you mistreat an Elemental there's the chance that they'll report you and you may get a representative of their Bureau coming to "have a word with you", whereas nobody cares how you treat some poxy First Circle Demon.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

Conversely, it's hard to establish professional relationships with demons not based on coercion. If you don't do an abcissic binding on a demon, you've already given away your biggest bargaining chip in res "things you can offer them in exchange for services" by bringing them to creation. It's not impossible, and there are some truly kind demons or ones who are motivated by profit rather than sadism, but generally you have to coerce demons. And that sometimes results in them doing "literal genie" order interpretations or otherwise acting to screw you over, and of course carries the dangers of limit break (some of which can be truly nasty).

Meanwhile, it's not only possible but in some circles standard practice to cut a deal with an elemental, or even a whole court. You establish a standard compensation rate, or negotiate a favor, and you don't have to worry about the elemental snapping when they hit 10 limit because mucking about with abcissics is optional. I had one character who rented out a powerful manse to an entire court for their meetings and living quarters, and took rent in the form of receiving a bodyguard and lab assistants as a 9-5 sort of job, and pinch hitters he was allowed to summon... I think he could ask up to 8 weeks of service per year from court members?
    Spoiler
    Show