New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

I really wanted to get off the DD wagon, but these last weeks have been so brilliantly hilarious.

Also, I couldn't pass this one up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Some more:
    Spoiler
    Show

Szark is a trans* woman

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #633
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Should we be putting these comics on the Strip Slays?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Because DJ doesn't use Mind Control on Callanians. Didn't you hear?
    All the exceptions don't count.
    Last edited by MReav; 2012-08-24 at 05:11 PM.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ettin in the Playground

Just got one that had to be shared - the first two panels came up instantly, so I locked and loaded for a third and after just a few clicks I got it.

It's a beauty.

Spoiler
    Show
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

Y'know thinking about it, mookie was very close to having a half-way decent way to hand wave the orc infernomancer seer. Demons are one of those things that can really ruin your weekend; for any would-be ruler of the world it would be a good idea to keep tabs on whats going on in Hell. A seer infernomancer would be good for the job except their is the issue of loyalty since they tend to be loyal to their demonic masters first; which is why DJ would get himself an orc because he would have no qualms with subjecting him to mind control and thus maintaing his loyalty...

But no, no explanation on the infernomancers that DJ kept around and it turns out the DJ didn't even know about the war in hell; unlike dominic and his little crew. Really considering how much trouble demons can cause and the fact that one went so far as to actually break through to their realm (before being put back by karnak), you would think that DJ would make sure to keep tabs on hell and demonic activity. no instead he kinda did the opposite by keep an infernomancer, a loyal minion of demons, in a position of influence.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2012-08-24 at 06:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    While there are other ways he could have set things up, putting himself in place as king makes some things easier. For example, he doesnt have to hide his actions from those in authority. As the archmage of the fifth circle AND king, noone outranks him or is able to legitimately question him. He still cant be blatant in his more dubious actions, but a lot of the pressure and fear of discovery is cleared away like that.
    How can it be easier?
    He can hide as a puppet master behind the enchanted king and queen, and let THEM explain his actions. And it's not like he really did anything extraordinary that needed heavy excuses.
    And from Callan he only needed access to some knowledge, did he really need to stay king all these years, especially after finding out the job is not easy?

And yeah, I can see being a bit overwhelmed by running a country, how the hell would he have known what it was like? He wasnt ever royalty, until he was "elected" of course. So its a bit like grabbing some random stranger off the street and saying, "Hey you! Wanna be CEO of Microsoft? Get to work!"
    First of all, he's not a random stranger, he's a mage who was ranked high enough to talk to royalty and advise them.

Also, it all depends on how you build the character.
    In the comic "Fables" (avoiding spoilers on purpose), there was one character who also took a job to have an easy life, only to discover later it was not what he expected .
    But that character was already build as a whimsical character who does what he wants without ever thinking. David on the other hand, is presented as a calculated magi, who is indeed fascinated about the power of the heart of magic, but other than that he appears to plan years in advance (stupid plans, but that's Mookie, not David)

As for not noticing, once again, I could see this happening to an extent. DJ has been on top for a long time, as he said, he got complacent. He spent all his time setting up his own plans, and paying no attention to whatever other people were doing unless it directly effected his plans in some way. The war in hell conclusion was so out of the bathtub that he wouldnt have even considered, "Hey, what if the storm of souls remains semi sentient when it goes to hell and sparks off a massive demon war to claim it, until karnak throws a spear into the mix that somehow blows up all of hell and makes him the demon king?"
    With this, I agree. He was busy and became overconfident.
    But he was only busy because of his stupid choices.
    Also, isn't he a seer? Don't they get warnings when something of this magnitude is about to happen? Or is it something that only happens to lord Dominic?

As for reforging the connection to the beasts demiplane, meh, we dont know enough about how magic works to state how it could happen, or why it would be so difficult. It could be similar to rebuilding the highway system after a nuke was dropped into the middle of a huge nexus of roads. Noone can go anywhere until the roads are rebuilt, and that takes time and effort to pull off.
    Magic not being explained is a problem, but anyway I don't remember mentioning that the elemental garbage plane is blocked. No one noticed?
    Isn't a blocked plane, especially one that is connected to all the other planes, supposed to somehow change stuff in ways at least magic users instantly recognize and understand?

7. - Top - End - #637
    Pixie in the Playground

Is this a private party, or can anyone join?

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #638
    Colossus in the Playground

Magic not being explained is a problem, but anyway I don't remember mentioning that the elemental garbage plane is blocked. No one noticed?
    Isn't a blocked plane, especially one that is connected to all the other planes, supposed to somehow change stuff in ways at least magic users instantly recognize and understand?
    True, but isnt the beast on some sort of self created demiplane of some sort? He has been dragging bits of everything to him to build it all these years, and dj altered all banishment spells to send stuff to snugglys plane instead of the elmecca or wherever its supposed to go.

If I can continue using my roads analogy, the "roads" to the elmecca and other primary planes are well built and large due to the sheer level of traffic. The demiplanes like where miranda kept celesto, and where snuggly was hanging out would be more like carefully hidden footpaths. Its possible to find them without knowing they are there, but its not easy. So some huge magical explosion that ruptures the planes or whatever the hell it did, would be far more devastating to that little deer trail of a path because less traces of it would be left behind than the 6 lane highway paths to the primary planes.

Of course, all of this is pure speculation based off of no evidence because mookie doesnt like to waste time on silly little things like, "creating a coherent magic system that makes sense" or "explaining the details in ways that doesnt contradict what he explained last time"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #639
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Of course, all of this is pure speculation based off of no evidence because mookie doesnt like to waste time on silly little things like, "creating a coherent magic system that makes sense" or "explaining the details in ways that doesnt contradict what he explained last time"
    After the last couple of weeks I don't think there's any point arguing about how DD doesn't make sense. It's gone beyond arguing water is wet to that arguing water is a thing that exists.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    So I found this old thing again
    How does it know?!
    Spoiler
    Show

Seriously, though, is there an easy way to add more comics to it? Because some of the newer stuff would be even wondrouser.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

First one I got. No rerolling. Dead serious.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Seriously, though, is there an easy way to add more comics to it? Because some of the newer stuff would be even wondrouser.
    They at least go as far as Maltak. There are a ridiculously large number of panels. It's not inconceivable that ones since Maltak would be tougher to find, since Mookie reduced his schedule after that and it's the shorter length of time.

Going to see if it can generate more recent things.

Looks like Maltak is the cutoff. I think.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2012-08-25 at 01:00 AM.
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

13. - Top - End - #643

Dominic is a **** to his cat:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

Stupid question time: what's the easiest way to share these after we make 'em?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Stupid question time: what's the easiest way to share these after we make 'em?
    Printscreen, paste into Paint, crop, and upload to hosting site of your choice - photobucket, imageshack, etc.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Troll in the Playground

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVII: ...Dom and Sub

@Zaq: Upload your document to an image site (I prefer imgur) and copy the BBcode on the sidebar.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wherein Siegfried enforces the law.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #647

A completely random one, that still makes a consistent story:
    Spoiler
    Show

(Just assume that Stunt, Barnet, and Luna are all the same person. It's very easy.)

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the first anything in a while to make me just bust out laughing, good job.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

19. - Top - End - #649

This one is good too:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs for everyone! Except Dex's hug partner has been replaced without warning and he's not happy about it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Maybe I should lock the outer two panels and reroll until I get that Hippie TIM panel in the middle? Nah, too much work.

Somehow, that still makes more sense than Mookie's latest storyline.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Gez; 2012-08-25 at 01:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I had some fun with that last panel.

Spoiler
    Show

This one just might be my favorite.

Spoiler
    Show

Did Rapechel turn into Siggy? Is Siggy just standing there? I don't know, but his come-hither eyes are COMEDY GOLD, I tells ya.

Spoiler
    Show

Another semi-consistent story.

Spoiler
    Show

Notice the lack of locks. This just fell right out of the sky.

Spoiler
    Show

It took me a while to find a panel 3 to go with those first two. This is OK, but it could be better.

Spoiler
    Show

That's more like it.

Spoiler
    Show

Panel 2 isn't even needed here, but I think it fits.

Spoiler
    Show

Again, consistent story. Remember that "Stunt" can refer to anyone.

I had some fun for a while doing this as a linked verse sort of thing. The idea was that exactly one panel between any two comics had to stay consistent, but you had to change the panel after that. I stuck with that for a while. It kind of worked.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2012-08-25 at 01:54 PM.

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Troll in the Playground

Completely random one:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ettin in the Playground

A number of fun ones here.

Spoiler
    Show

Wherein Dominic learns about Murphy's Law.

Spoiler
    Show

Still learning about Murphy's Law.

Spoiler
    Show

The Secret Life of Greg

Spoiler
    Show

Miranda's academy should not have cut costs by cutting sexual harassment training for new teachers.

Spoiler
    Show

Wherein Dominic is given responsibilities.

Spoiler
    Show

Wherein Dominic's library support initiative goes off the rails.

Spoiler
    Show

Wherein Luna unlocks new powers.

Spoiler
    Show

No further explanation needed, really.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground

I just love that there's an elven wine called Elfelo. Elfelo!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Those two first panels work with pretty much anything so
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-08-25 at 04:46 PM.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

I couldn't NOT share this precious thing:

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

I did all of these in linked verse style. I would have done more, but I had to end when I did. You'll see.

Spoiler
    Show

Dominic is a monster. Literally, now.

Spoiler
    Show

This implies something about Szark. Soon, the whole class shall know it.

Spoiler
    Show

Are 1 and 3 from the same comic? I think they might be. This does kind of fit with the last one, too.

Spoiler
    Show

"A Good Start" might be said to be poetry.

Spoiler
    Show

It didn't work.

Spoiler
    Show

I mean, DUH.

Spoiler
    Show

And the finale.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground

And then this page suddenly took 10 times longer to load.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

27. - Top - End - #657

NecromancerGuy

Aye, there's the rub of it. Still, pretty amusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

28. - Top - End - #658

The solution is to keep on posting until we're on the next page, obviously!

The thing is, I don't disagree with the whole "show DJ losing already" concept in theory. Done properly, Mookie could actually make the king scarier--In the past, he's been content to sit on his throne and bide his time, but now that he feels threatened, he's going to clamp down hard on anything he sees as a threat. Trouble is, Mookie is the fanatical high priest of an evil cult dedicated to wiping out dramatic tension. I just know that the best case scenario is that Mookie just uses this flashback to (try to) plug plot holes, leaving us with no sense of urgency.

Worst case scenario? The end of the flashback reveals DJ Callan died of pneumonia last Thursday; everyone congratulates Dominic, Celesto blows up a bunch of racists before apologizing and becoming the Deegan's live-in maid, and the rest of 2012 is devoted to Dom & Sub converting all of Callan to Orcism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

29. - Top - End - #659

NecromancerGuy

Hmm, that'd almost be narmy enough to be amusing? Somehow I doubt we'll see the worst case scenario you envision. Err. Well, actually hope.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-08-26 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ettin in the Playground