New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    Newspost makes it even more hillarious. As usual.
    Mookie is a big proponent of the "Don't Show, Don't Tell, Spoil It All In The Newspost" style of writing.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

As long as we're linking, remember when Jacob just waved his hand and all the zombies except the ones that used white magic, which formed a minority of the greater horde, dissolved into ashes?
    Given how apparently effortless that was, why couldn't Jacob have just kept sweeping the deck of the trash and riff-raff, clearing the way for the Sacred Knights (tm) and werewoofs to knock down the guys who weren't just being dissolved?
    I mean, given that the strength of the zombies appears to be a) numbers and b) they'll bite you if you're close enough, running out to fight them hand-to-hand seems like a non-starter, as strats go.

also what is that little speedo / knee-high ensemble for, look at how he's left his femoral arteries completely exposed.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

3. - Top - End - #1233

Mookie is a big proponent of the "Don't Show, Don't Tell, Spoil It All In The Newspost" style of writing.
    It's clear Mookie just wants to finish up DD. He is his own audience right now, which is why he no longer feels the need to explain things through the comic itself.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ogre in the Playground

Nothing like an armor made out of a thin layer of skin and meat for protection.

5. - Top - End - #1235

OldWizardGuy

man, looks like '05 was his best year.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I don't really mind the armor, there's something appealingly gory of making vestments out of your enemies and kind of matches Rilians shadowcloak and fatsuit, I guess, so semi-consistent.

What bugs me is how the author not only reveals Jayden is OK, so no tension, but then Jacob's enemies all spontaneously die, reducing tension even further in the very same strip.

Also, getting back to yesterday - Celesto looks so sad, beaten and lonely. He gets away, harms no-one, keeps suffering, bears it, and proceeds do try to do his job. Presumably staying sane didn't exactly become easier by, as someone pointed out, head trauma by MC gang punk rocker/whatever, then sensory deprivation isolation. He would indeed make an awesome protagonist, one you could really feel for...

7. - Top - End - #1237

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    The only filled blacks are on Jacob. Everything else is line art.

It's been a while since we've done on of these and you got me curious, so here's a comparison of DD's art throughout its run sampling strips from September 27th (or closest day):
    (warning long image, lots of scrolling!)
    Spoiler
    Show

Edit: 2011 really dipped, didn't it?
    Wow, check out the wooden table in 2003! It has texture! It actually looks like wood!

I can't imagine Mookie drawing something like that now.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Troll in the Playground

Oh wow I'm so excited I hope Jayden's okay this is wooooow!!!

(I'll say though, I'm looking forward to seeing how many people died thanks to Luna's idiocy tomorrow.)

It's been a while since we've done on of these and you got me curious, so here's a comparison of DD's art throughout its run sampling strips from September 27th (or closest day):
    Spoiler
    Show

It's amazing just how little has changed. I swear Mookie could just copy-paste new updates together and nobody would notice.

Seriously:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    Huh, that was strange.
    It's what I do. And if I don't link obscure independent comics in foreign languages from the 90s/early 00s, who else will?

Spoiler
    Show

2002 looks rough, then art stayed stable from 2003 to 2006. Then 2007/08 it degenerated, and everybody started to look like Pam/Szark. That stayed, and from 2011 increasingly details got lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Analysis View Post
    I don't really mind the armor, there's something appealingly gory of making vestments out of your enemies and kind of matches Rilians shadowcloak and fatsuit, I guess, so semi-consistent.
    Gory? Maybe.
    Useful? No.
    I agree it's semi-consistent with Rillians fat suit, but that was used as a disguise, not as a body armor.
    Thin layer of flesh provides very little protection (which is what requires an armor in the first place).

If you want both Gore and usefulness, how about a skeleton armor (with a minor risk of looking like Skeletor)? Better yet, how about a nice wall of body parts?

But more than functionality, what bothers me is the complete laziness.
    Instead of some cool necromantic spell, we got yet another Deegan with a superhero suit (I especially love the flesh underwear).
    Worse, we didn't even get a short scene where Jacob mumbles "Flesh armor" and the bodies materialize around him. The only reason we know what we're looking at, is that it was explained in the news post!

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Gory? Maybe.
    Useful? No.
    I agree it's semi-consistent with Rillians fat suit, but that was used as a disguise, not as a body armor.
    Thin layer of flesh provides very little protection (which is what requires an armor in the first place).

If you want both Gore and usefulness, how about a skeleton armor (with a minor risk of looking like Skeletor)? Better yet, how about a nice wall of body parts?
    Yes, but a suit of flesh has its advantages: you are less restricted in your movement, so you wear a full body suit and less few agility. This is especially useful to protect your soft and vulnerable underbelly.
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

12. - Top - End - #1242

I could buy it if it had some other muscle-related function. Say, Jacob grafts the muscles to his own for a temporary strength boost (conceptually similar to wearing someone's skin to perfectly impersonate them). That still wouldn't explain those silly pauldrons.

Also, is it just me, or does this:
    Jacob's undead flesh armor suit is composed of the zombies that swarmed him and Jayden, and even though she was beside him at the time, Jacob did not absorb her skin into his armor.
    sound like it wouldn't be all that out-of-place in Axe Cop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

13. - Top - End - #1243

It's on par with leather armor, I'd say. I honestly have no clue how effective leather armor is, but having dissected a few bodies I can state with certainty you'd need something pretty sharp and -a lot- of force to cut through a layer of muscle.

If anything bothers me, it's that I actually had to read the newspost to realize it was made of flesh.

14. - Top - End - #1244

Daemon

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. He copied it from the game 'Legacy of Kain'.
    ― Joseph Stalin

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Orc in the Playground

Oh, come on. That game's sixteen years old. If you need to have ideas nobody's ever had before, you're pretty much stuck on the level of giant lactate-cannons that fire the color green and run on dancing ballpoint pens.

I'd like to be funny and playful in this reply, buthere's a My LIttle Pony video instead.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    It's on par with leather armor, I'd say. I honestly have no clue how effective leather armor is, but having dissected a few bodies I can state with certainty you'd need something pretty sharp and -a lot- of force to cut through a layer of muscle.

If anything bothers me, it's that I actually had to read the newspost to realize it was made of flesh.
    I think processed leather is harder than flesh.
    And while it's not that easy to cut through flesh, the regular zombies don't seem to have any problem with real flesh so an extra thin layer isn't much of a protection, especially against super zombies.

Anyway, I agree that the bigger issue was not realizing what it is without the news post.

18. - Top - End - #1248

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    I'd like to be funny and playful in this reply, buthere's a My LIttle Pony video instead.
    Derpy in Kamina's glasses! So... awesome!

19. - Top - End - #1249

NecromancerGirl

Gory? Maybe.
    Useful? No.

But more than functionality, what bothers me is the complete laziness.
    Instead of some cool necromantic spell, we got yet another Deegan with a superhero suit (I especially love the flesh underwear).
    Worse, we didn't even get a short scene where Jacob mumbles "Flesh armor" and the bodies materialize around him. The only reason we know what we're looking at, is that it was explained in the news post!
    I think I did not see it so much as direct physical protection, as girding yourself with corpses, so that your body symbolically becomes linked to magical death or the like and therefore more easily benefits from protective spells you cast that draws on that. If dead things generate necromantic energies, then placing those dead things onto where you want your necromantic buffing/warding field to be might make sense. Of course, I have no illusions this was what was intended, but...

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Analysis View Post
    I think I did not see it so much as direct physical protection, as girding yourself with corpses, so that your body symbolically becomes linked to magical death or the like and therefore more easily benefits from protective spells you cast that draws on that. If dead things generate necromantic energies, then placing those dead things onto where you want your necromantic buffing/warding field to be might make sense. Of course, I have no illusions this was what was intended, but...
    Would be nice if that was the intention and that amount of thought went into it. Additionally, it would be nice if the magic system was defined enough that the audience knew magical energies came from things and could say, "o ya necro energy comes from corpses, makes sense."

It would also be nice if all magic didn't come from a comet.

Sure would be nice, but then it wouldn't be Dominic Deegan.

21. - Top - End - #1251

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    It's what I do. And if I don't link obscure independent comics in foreign languages from the 90s/early 00s, who else will?
    Indeed, tis an odd but important niche I say. :)

As for the comic, I thought Jacob had magic necro vines on his body, but I've been looking at too many cards with plant worshiping death cultists.
    Last edited by AgentofOdd; 2012-09-27 at 10:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1252

While not about comics in foreign languages, this is a statement about foreign languages.

Nakta's a real word, not just an orcity orc orc word.

It's Sanskrit for "darkness/night".

I somehow doubt Mookie actually researched Sanskrit or anything, though, and it's most likely a coincidence.
    LGBTitP

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    While not about comics in foreign languages, this is a statement about foreign languages.

Nakta's a real word, not just an orcity orc orc word.

It's Sanskrit for "darkness/night".

I somehow doubt Mookie actually researched Sanskrit or anything, though, and it's most likely a coincidence.
    Just like how Ilka Tuk Tak is perfectly decent Scots (if a little odd syntactically, I'm not entirely sure), for "To gather up every thorn," which is also really weirdly appropriate for a vegetarian orc society.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ogre in the Playground

Sneaky
    Future

Jacob ruined forever Y/N?
    Sneaky gate

Future link

I press: Y

Also: Annoying Friday Cliffhanger is back, but already in panel 3?
    ― Joseph Stalin

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Troll in the Playground

Even the comic's characters are all "Let's get it over with." at this point.

26. - Top - End - #1256

PirateCaptain

Maybe he'll make a resurgence Monday? Maybe?

Panels 4-5: I though that that priestess got transformed into Mama Deegan, like she was some sort of...
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh dear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    Panels 4-5: I though that that priestess got transformed into Mama Deegan.
    Thank heavens it wasn't just me. I was confused for a good half a minute there.

Also, Mookie. I know you have female friends who have agreed to model topless for your photography. So please, stop drawing breasts like that. It looks so bad in profile.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it IS his mother.

Also: Annoying Friday Cliffhanger is back, but already in panel 3?
    What cliffhanger? I don't even count it as one.
    At least Bumper got to do something heroic before his death, in this case we saw Jayden in maybe half a panel doing nothing special.

Also, I don't count it as a cliffhanger because I dont think any of us really care about Jayden

Edit: And I'm also in the list of confused people about the pristess/Miranda.
    In fact, I was sure it's Miranda in panel 4 even AFTER reading the comments here.
    Last edited by random11; 2012-09-28 at 01:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

Am I the only one who thought this:

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Colossus in the Playground

Wow, panel 4 is one floppy boob profile. Something that size should really be restrained and supported better or they will just tear off one day in the middle of some physical exertion. Like say, while flailing around in a battle to the death against a zombie apocalypse?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."