New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: OotS Style Art/Fanart Showcase V

Some other pieces

first try with mounts
    Spoiler
    Show

barbarian girl
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

@Alexander:
    First guy's details have too thin a line. Wouldn't work well as an avvie, and because of the whole image tone (dark tones and black), it doesn't wokr at all, Maybe make his shoulder pads and bracelets bigger, with thicker lines.
    His face is also weirdly placed. Doesn't look circular, either. The mount and action, however, is clean and well drawn. Congrats on that. The other two are quite cool.

Barbarian Girl's face is weird too. Her body seems to be either too wide, or too long. Bodies are usually one head tall (So it would have to measure the same as a head's diameter.)

And your Kirito avatar continues to bother me. Kirito never showed such a smug expression.

---

@asdf: The hair's curls on the face kinda clutter it. Other than that, it's a solid design, and lovely too. So blue.
    Last edited by Crimmy : Tomorrow at 26:72 DM.

Spoiler
    Show

Iron Avatarist has gone on hiatus. Give me your feedback, please
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

For some reason, his name is really fun for me to say.
    Alastair Glee
    It might help that I keep saying it with a British accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    @asdflove: The hair's curls on the face kinda clutter it. Other than that, it's a solid design, and lovely too. So blue.
    The hair is supposed to be overly curly. It was intentional.
    Last edited by asdflove; 2013-03-08 at 10:23 PM.
    My pronouns are they/them, but I don't care much.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #394

BardGuy

Hey guys, so I'm not much of an artist but I dabble a bit in OotS style. I had a short-lived fancomic go up a while back, but after getting swamped with work I lost interest. I'm kind of getting back into it, but I'd like to improve my art style a bit.

If you could, take a look at the picture below and tell me what I could improve on.

The Ultimate Fancomic Experience

Or something. I don't know, I'm bad at hooks, but you should click it.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

First of all, no square elbows. The arms are always rounded and never snap in angles, just curve.

Second of all, the color scheme. Try to make it so that the black lines really do bring out the color (it's so dark that everything gets ruined.)

Third, hair: If you wanna make a split hair, you need to realize it has body, and yours looks like two paper sheets. Make it flow with the shape of the head (like hair usually does)

Fourth: The body is too long (This one goes for you as well, asdf, with that latest guy), and too wide. Body is usually as large as a head, and never wider than it's radius.

Fifth: Please make round ends for hands. The square ends look really awkward.

Sixth: Thicker lines. It's got too thin an outline for it to look good enough.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

*snip*The body is too long (This one goes for you as well, asdflove, with that latest guy), and too wide. Body is usually as large as a head, and never wider than it's radius.
    *snip*
    Thats odd, since that's the exact same length as any other guy body I draw.
    I just have a template that I alter every time. Honestly, I think if it was shorter, it would look weird.

Last edited by asdflove; 2013-03-08 at 10:24 PM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #397

BardGuy

First of all, no square elbows. The arms are always rounded and never snap in angles, just curve.

Second of all, the color scheme. Try to make it so that the black lines really do bring out the color (it's so dark that everything gets ruined.)

Third, hair: If you wanna make a split hair, you need to realize it has body, and yours looks like two paper sheets. Make it flow with the shape of the head (like hair usually does)

Fourth: The body is too long (This one goes for you as well, asdf, with that latest guy), and too wide. Body is usually as large as a head, and never wider than it's radius.

Fifth: Please make round ends for hands. The square ends look really awkward.

Sixth: Thicker lines. It's got too thin an outline for it to look good enough.
    So I'll go one by one-ish.

1 & 4) Individual style. This is my first use of angled joints, so it's a bit of an experiment. I wanted to see how it looked, and I kind of like it. I could be wrong through. As for the body, when I was making my fan comic I consciously enlongated the bodies. I think it looks a bit more proportional, but again I could be wrong. Don't fix what isn't broken, I suppose.

2) Color is definitely something I could work on. A different color shirt and pants might be in order, and I could lighten the wood of the chair.

3) Yeah, I definitely need to work on that. I'm not sure how to approach that without sacrificing the hairstyle, but I'll see what I can do. Further advice would be appreciated.

5) That's actually something I never noticed. I guess I kind of always assumed that they were squared off at the end.

6) Sure, I can see that.

Thanks for the advice. (:

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

@CountD: Individual style most of the time sounds as an excuse to lack on certain things. Unless consistent, it usually doesn't work (In this case, angled elbows look really weird.) Most avatarists who have their own style still stick to the basic rules (proportions, position, and curviness of limbs). As an example, there is Mr. Saturn, who used to make these cool avatars with oval heads instead of circular ones. However, his whole style revolved around the whole idea of longer heads and as such, longer bodies. With snapped joints, you'd have to find something to make it work (snapped bodies?). Same goes for body length. If, however, you feel like it's ok, then it's ultimately your call. Can't really do more than give advice on how I see OotS style.

The hair... well, check out my latest avatar (a scratchy one, but one which could help you with the whole idea of hair flow)

See how my hair, though kinda wild, ends up taking a slightly rounded shape, even though it still overgrows the circular shape of my head and goes off to other sides.

Quote Originally Posted by asdflove View Post
    Thats odd, since that's the exact same length as any other guy body I draw.
    I just have a template that I alter every time. Honestly, I think if it was shorter, it would look weird.
    Well... first you used the small annoyed face (I dunno why you'd be annoyed at me, but ok)

As for the whole template thing... Though useful for comparisons, I don't really recommend using them for avvies. I prefer to start from scratch and then try to get the drawing to fit the proportions.

As for the "shorter" thing...

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #399

BardGuy

I wouldn't be posting here looking for criticism if I were intending to dismiss it. Thinking about it the angled joints would probably look even stranger in other poses, so I think I'll drop that, but in regards to the body I have to say I'm not the biggest fan of the top-heaviness of the traditional design. I'm not aiming for proportional accuracy in any sense, but I think that the longer bodies add some kind of balance to it. Of course, I suppose seeing is believing, so I'll experiment a bit in that department.

And the hair looks nice, I'll try to incorporate something to reflect the roundness of the head.

I'll make a few edits of the character and post the results. Possibly a few, with one reflecting closer adherence to the traditional style.

10. - Top - End - #400

BardGuy

Alright, sorry for the double post, but I got a bit of work done and came up with what I think is a slight improvement over my original. Compare.

versus

I slimmed down the width of the body (I tried the length, but when I shortened it it just kind of looked wrong, I'm not sure why), rounded out the elbows to the classic look, changed the colors to make it lighter, and (probably most notably) changed the hair dramatically. It looks awful and scraggly but this is just an attempt at getting the hair to match the actual curvature of the head and look a bit more natural.

Still can't figure out how to round out the fingers without attaching little dots to the ends, but I'll get that when I have more time to explore Inkscape.

Anyway, hope that looks a bit like an improvement.

Edit: Also increased the width of the arms and legs, possibly some other stuff that I can't recall.
    Last edited by CountD; 2013-03-09 at 03:02 AM.

11. - Top - End - #401

@Alexander:
    First guy's details have too thin a line. Wouldn't work well as an avvie, and because of the whole image tone (dark tones and black), it doesn't wokr at all, Maybe make his shoulder pads and bracelets bigger, with thicker lines.
    His face is also weirdly placed. Doesn't look circular, either. The mount and action, however, is clean and well drawn. Congrats on that. The other two are quite cool.

Barbarian Girl's face is weird too. Her body seems to be either too wide, or too long. Bodies are usually one head tall (So it would have to measure the same as a head's diameter.)

And your Kirito avatar continues to bother me. Kirito never showed such a smug expression.

---

@asdf: The hair's curls on the face kinda clutter it. Other than that, it's a solid design, and lovely too. So blue.
    thanks for the feedbacks! Lets work on them.
    They arent avvie, we are using them as miniatures,i also work on the directive of my friends, so if they want an almost all black themed PC i just go with the flow.
    The face also bothered me a little, it doesnt seems circular because of the full beard, i think i will shave him a bit.
    The barbarian was my first female model, with your advice i just reshaped the base model

Yeah i should update my avvie, i have one were i fixed some error and smoothed some lines. About his expression, yeah you havent seen this expression in the anime, but i also readed the light novels, and he will use that expression in the s2

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CountD View Post
    Still can't figure out how to round out the fingers without attaching little dots to the ends, but I'll get that when I have more time to explore Inkscape.
    There is a button in the Stroke Style tab called "Round Cap", in the middle of a couple other options. Just select the shape you want to have rounded lines and give it a click. No go, use your new-found knowledge to lay waste to the countryside!

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, sorry for the double post, but I got a bit of work done and came up with what I think is a slight improvement over my original. Compare.

I slimmed down the width of the body (I tried the length, but when I shortened it it just kind of looked wrong, I'm not sure why), rounded out the elbows to the classic look, changed the colors to make it lighter, and (probably most notably) changed the hair dramatically. It looks awful and scraggly but this is just an attempt at getting the hair to match the actual curvature of the head and look a bit more natural.

Edit: Also increased the width of the arms and legs, possibly some other stuff that I can't recall.
    I think you could have left the original hair style, just make it fall more naturally. I imagine his right (our left) side of the hair would fall at around the height of his mouth or a little below his chin (only height, it doesn't have to fall directly over those.)

The eyebrows could be a bit longer.

Finally, maybe bigger hands (just a touch.)

But you have really touched him up good, and it's quite an improvement, I must say.
    ----
    @Alexander: I see... now that you mention it, it must be the beard indeed. Or the hair.

Oh well, they're stil quite solid (I'm glad I could help with the Barbarian).

I suppose I must continue reading the novels then.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

This would be so spoileriffic for my fancomic, if it had text.

versus

The second version is better, but still has some problems.
    Namely, line weight. I honestly still have problems with this in my own OotS stuff...
    The the thickness of the lines should be closer than they are. For example, the thickness of his arms and legs compared to the thickness of the outline on his body just looks weird. Or there is his fingers compared to the outline of the hilt (and the rest of the sword). Also, his smile line is too thin compared to the rest of it as well.
    Last edited by asdflove; 2013-03-09 at 10:33 AM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #405

BardGuy

This would be so spoileriffic for my fancomic, if it had text.

The second version is better, but still has some problems.
    Namely, line weight. I honestly still have problems with this in my own OotS stuff...
    The the thickness of the lines should be closer than they are. For example, the thickness of his arms and legs compared to the thickness of the outline on his body just looks weird. Or there is his fingers compared to the outline of the hilt (and the rest of the sword). Also, his smile line is too thin compared to the rest of it as well.
    I feel you. You didn't say which lines should be lighter or heavier, so I brought them somewhere in the middle to see what happened.

It might just be me but the body seems a little too heavily outlined.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel you. You didn't say which lines should be lighter or heavier, so I brought them somewhere in the middle to see what happened.

The hair is still wildly off from the rest of it... My advice, the thickness you have on the head, use it it everywhere else as well.

Spoiler
    Show

One of my IRL friends wrote a short crack ship fanfiction for my next gen fancomic. Therefore, I had to draw it.

Where is everyone? This is the 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th time I've edited this post to add art...
    Okay, this is getting ridiculous.

Spoilered the images, since there was so many.
    Last edited by asdflove; 2013-03-16 at 11:56 AM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #407
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ever since I began using Paint.NET and SAI to make avatars, I find I draw less and less as my pictures get more and more elaborate.

I decided a few days ago to return (albeit temporarily) to my roots, the much underestimated MS Paint (XP Edition). This pretty much entails creating everything with a mouse and not beginning with a traditional pencil sketch. I was definitely out of practice.

Here I took three tries to draw the same character:

Spoiler
    Show

This one I tried with a 600x600 canvas.

This one is a 300x300 canvas.

And this one is a 380x380 canvas. It took a few tries to find the appropriate size.

While I continue to use Paint.NET to make avatars, I do much prefer the MS Paint colour editor tool, as I`m most familiar with it, but it has limitations, such as inability to save custom palettes.

Anyone recognize this derpatar?

CountD: There is something of a visual disparity with the sitting guy. While the chair is 3D looking, the guy`s torso is completely 2D—flat. I would suggest either making the chair more flat, or the guy more fleshed out.

asdflove: I like how in the pic with Tristan and... the Shiri look-alike running at each other, the speed lines are the same colour as their clothes.

Ninjaman: That`s certainly an interesting artistic direction you have there. I`m referring to the partial outlineless portion of the avatar. I encourage you to make a completely outlineless one, as very few try to do that. It would stand out greatly from other avatars. Don`t forget to conserve detail and make each detail large and obvious to make up for the lack of outlines.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurien View Post
    Ever since I began using Paint.NET and SAI to make avatars, I find I draw less and less as my pictures get more and more elaborate.

I decided a few days ago to return (albeit temporarily) to my roots, the much underestimated MS Paint (XP Edition). This pretty much entails creating everything with a mouse and not beginning with a traditional pencil sketch. I was definitely out of practice.

Spoiler
    Show

And this one is a 380x380 canvas. It took a few tries to find the appropriate size.

While I continue to use Paint.NET to make avatars, I do much prefer the MS Paint colour editor tool, as I`m most familiar with it, but it has limitations, such as inability to save custom palettes.

I like that character. All 3 iterations. That's a really nice shade of blue.
    I do not recognize that derpatar.

asdflove: I like how in the pic with Tristan and... the Shiri look-alike running at each other, the speed lines are the same colour as their clothes.
    Shiri look-alike? That's just Shiri with a different hair style and outfit, but if want to believe it's not her, more power to ya.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

@Kurien; back in my spriting days I just had a separate file with palettes drawn into. I just copied the appropriate palettes to the file I was working in then.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello boys. I want to draw Taichi from Digimon Adventure.

Just to let you guys know.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #411
    Barbarian in the Playground

@asfdlove: Mhmm, one of the visual features of the character had to be those shades of blue. Her eyes are also blue, but only appear blue in OotS style when she shows her power, like Celia. Her name is Deneve, a half-elemental (not Air ) or something. I'm not terribly familiar with D&D rules on breeding with outsiders though, so she may be an invalid character.

That was the wrong question. I should have asked, who does this derpatar represent?

The Shiri+Tristan pic puzzled me because I though Shiri was dating Zaenn.

@Astrella: Mhmm, I have used that trick too, in fact I have selected custom colours with MS Paint, drew an image with all the colours in squares, and copypasted the result in other apps before. Saved custom palettes are more convenient, is all.

@Crimmy: If you draw Taichi you just have to draw Agumon as well.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

@asfdlove: Mhmm, one of the visual features of the character had to be those shades of blue. Her eyes are also blue, but only appear blue in OotS style when she shows her power, like Celia. Her name is Deneve, a half-elemental (not Air ) or something. I'm not terribly familiar with D&D rules on breeding with outsiders though, so she may be an invalid character.

That was the wrong question. I should have asked, who does this derpatar represent?

The Shiri+Tristan pic puzzled me because I though Shiri was dating Zaenn.
    :
    I'm sure there's a half elemental out there somewhere. Maybe Bastards and Bloodlines. Actually I'm pretty sure there's one in that. *Checks* Yup. There is.

Honestly, when I see a short, green haired person, the first person I think of is Gnomish.

Sure, she is right now. But right now she also has longer hair and a different outfit. Things change.

Last edited by asdflove; 2013-03-16 at 08:21 PM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

@Crimmy: If you draw Taichi you just have to draw Agumon as well.
    Challenge accepted, my dear friend. Challenge effing accepted.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #415
    Bugbear in the Playground

I agree with what's been said, the difference in line weight is probably the biggest problem. Try making the entire thing with the same blackness, even the fine details like the cigarette. It'll give you an appreciation for exactly how to do the borders to make something look right, and once you get that down you can start experimenting with differing border sizes to add more dynamism.

Also the proportioning feels off to me, somehow. Like both the body and legs look too long somehow.

Spoiler
    Show

I feel that middle avatar improved with canvas size, somewhat. The third is very well-done, ut I feel the first is the most technically sound.

I was about to say, that certainly looks like me, and I'm unsure who else it could be, and then I saw the file name.
    To compare: (Wow, I haven't seen this avatar in forever. Things were simpler then... )
    Thanks ^.^

I'm sure there's a half elemental out there somewhere. Maybe Bastards and Bloodlines. Actually I'm pretty sure there's one in that. *Checks* Yup. There is.

Honestly, when I see a short, green haired person, the first person I think of is Gnomish.

Sure, she is right now. But right now she also has longer hair and a different outfit. Things change.

First off, ^.^ to the green-hair comment

I really like that outfit. It is very well-done. In fact I just love this piece for some reason.

Ooo, nice. The guy's torso looks a little long but otherwise good simple scene. I wanna say 'Young Love' is the idea it invokes

What do you guys think of this OotS translation I did for the playgrounder samboucher?
    My Version

Original
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Gnomish Wanderer; 2013-03-17 at 10:43 PM.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post
    *snip*
    First off, ^.^ to the green-hair comment
    *snip*
    It's true.

*snip*
    I really like that outfit. It is very well-done. In fact I just love this piece for some reason.

Ooo, nice. The guy's torso looks a little long but otherwise good simple scene. I wanna say 'Young Love' is the idea it invokes
    *snip*
    Well, here's the same girl being crazy. (don't worry, she's about to cast feather fall.)

Young love is... so not what I was going for. *shudders* They're siblings.

*snip*
    What do you guys think of this OotS translation I did for the playgrounder samboucher?
    My Version

Original
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think that looks cool. For some reason, the skull really catches my eye on your OotS version.
    Last edited by asdflove; 2013-03-18 at 09:43 PM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #417

eek Re: OotS Style Art/Fanart Showcase V

I'm going to have to try my luck at fleshing out my fighter. I just know it.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

Here be rouge.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

29. - Top - End - #419

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Here be rouge.
    He musta not been wearing it very thick then. Here, let me help you apply it, really bring out those rosy cheeks. I also gave him a shave and styled his hair a little!

Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

That was a hood. And an intentional misspelling. Again.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."