New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    The ship may be gone, but it's spirit lives on and on!
    You couldn't be more right, literally

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm sure that this has been brought up before, but who else expects that Tagii is going to end up as the operating mind of the Can of Sky?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm sure that this has been brought up before, but who else expects that Tagii is going to end up as the operating mind of the Can of Sky?
    *raises hand*

I have hopes that the Toughs teraport the Can of Sky to Sol System and extort blackmail with a "ship" that has an entry port bigger than the UNS Battleplate fleet.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    *raises hand*

I have hopes that the Toughs teraport the Can of Sky to Sol System and extort blackmail with a "ship" that has an entry port bigger than the UNS Battleplate fleet.
    Is the entry port bigger than Earth itself? I wonder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Is the entry port bigger than Earth itself? I wonder.
    No, though they said you could fit Mars inside, so the whole can is comparable in size to a planet.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2014-01-30 at 10:05 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I could see that happening, but I thought the era of the Toughs having incredibly overpowered ships was over.

Regardless of the outcome, I highly doubt that sending Tagii was the best idea. She is very unstable and we have no idea if she's still vindictive.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Titan in the Playground

I never said that the Toughs would have her. I mean, it's not like they exactly "have" Lota any more, either.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    I could see that happening, but I thought the era of the Toughs having incredibly overpowered ships was over.

Regardless of the outcome, I highly doubt that sending Tagii was the best idea. She is very unstable and we have no idea if she's still vindictive.
    Probably, but the Can In The Sky isn't really that overpowered offensively - keep in mind that their current ship was capable of fending off the initial few missile salvos it launched against them. It's just absurdly big, and thus probably absurdly difficult to destroy beyond any conceivable value of 'difficult'.

But I agree that a planet-sized mobile base would be too much for the Toughs. More likely Tagii will suicide it somehow to stop terrible doom, or else she will join the ranks of AI-controlled super-warships that Tagon+Co. have accidentally unleashed upon the galaxy, next to Petey and Lota.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    How stupid am I that it took your post for me to realise that "Tagii" is basically just "Tag 2"?
    Would it completely blow your mind if I pointed out that "Ennesby" == "N.S.B."... originally, as we've recently been reminded, the New Sync Boys?

(It took me way longer than it should have to notice that one.)
    Play your character, not your alignment.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    Would it completely blow your mind if I pointed out that "Ennesby" == "N.S.B."... originally, as we've recently been reminded, the New Sync Boys?
    Oh no, I spotted that one right away, mainly because I've read through the entire archive...

I agree with those saying the can of sky isn't overpowered. I reckon one battleplate could just blow a massive hole in the outer hull and then it's game over for everyone inside. There's also rather a lot of unresolved hostility between Tagii and the Toughs, so we have no idea if she's actually going to help them out here--this is presumably why Para is looking so worried now she's realised what Ennesby has done!

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, I think that mobile planet-fortress is probably right up the Tough's alley right about now. Petey's having trouble in Andromeda with the new core generator. The Can probably was built at a time when the Pa'anuri were last relevant. Someone has to deal with their unknown baryonic allies, and it's about time for the Toughs to do something galactically relevant again.

Mostly, though, Bristlecone is wholly inadequate as a ship for the Toughs. They are getting at least a new ship this arc.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Mostly, though, Bristlecone is wholly inadequate as a ship for the Toughs.
    Well yeah, most ships would be inadequate after getting their annie plants shot out.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

13. - Top - End - #1303

Well, that was an interesting development.

What could possibly go wrong?

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    Careful what you wish for. We know that Petey is slowly losing the war against the Pa'anuri, so sooner or later he'll be pushed back to the Milky Way. Guess what happens then?
    Wonderful. I loved Petey was struggling with the crew. Not lording over them.
    Running games in the Space Coast, FL area. Looking to play? Drop a line.

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ettin in the Playground

I hope Shep and Tino come back. It'd be nice to have another couple of grunts.

16. - Top - End - #1306

I am loving the Tagons conversing about leadership.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

17. - Top - End - #1307

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I am loving the Tagons conversing about leadership.
    But Capt Tagon summed up perfectly the situation. In better terms than I could ever imagine.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is my favorite strip in a long while :D
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

19. - Top - End - #1309

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    But Capt Tagon summed up perfectly the situation. In better terms than I could ever imagine.
    Precisely! While Kaff may have a flimsy grasp of the english language as a whole, he uses what he has like he uses all his weapons: viciously, precisely, and without fear.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Well yeah, most ships would be inadequate after getting their annie plants shot out.
    Any ship that could 'get its annie plants shot out' without being able to do anything about it would be inadequate beforehand.

21. - Top - End - #1311

Do Gnl Tagon's remark qualify in some measure as a dirty old man?

22. - Top - End - #1312

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Do Gnl Tagon's remark qualify in some measure as a dirty old man?
    I am fairly certain that it is more "desperate patriarch in search of descendents".
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FLHerne View Post
    Any ship that could 'get its annie plants shot out' without being able to do anything about it would be inadequate beforehand.
    Even a Tausennigan Ob'Enn Thunderhead Superfortress?
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2014-02-02 at 10:20 AM.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well certainly, in the same way that a main battle tank is totally inadequate against a concealed sniper with an anti-tank weapon. Or perhaps the more appropriate analogy would be a naval destroyer against carrier-borne strike fighters armed with anti-ship missiles...

25. - Top - End - #1315

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedFilia View Post
    Well certainly, in the same way that a main battle tank is totally inadequate against a concealed sniper with an anti-tank weapon. Or perhaps the more appropriate analogy would be a naval destroyer against carrier-borne strike fighters armed with anti-ship missiles...
    In other words, Rock beat Scissors

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Troll in the Playground

Thinking about it, unless those powered armors come with a personal-scale TAD (Which the station could likely simply brute force right past, much like Petey used to be able to before he had to concentrate on his war), why haven't they been scooped up along with Bristlecone, unless the station isn't aware of them?
    Swoop Falcon

27. - Top - End - #1317

BlackDragon

Thinking about it, unless those powered armors come with a personal-scale TAD (Which the station could likely simply brute force right past, much like Petey used to be able to before he had to concentrate on his war), why haven't they been scooped up along with Bristlecone, unless the station isn't aware of them?
    I think it's pretty likely the station isn't aware of their presence. They're much smaller than a ship like Bristlecone and travelling much slower, so they'll tend to just merge into the general buzz of life around the station. In fact, I'd say the station probably doesn't have an enormous amount of control outside the spindle--would it have let the place revert to nature in the way it has if it had perfect control over everything?

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was under the impression that the mission of the station-AI was to let the place revert to nature (for whatever reason). Even so, it took quite a while for it to respond to Bristlecone's incursion, which could mean that's how long it took to notice a ship-scale power source, which would in turn imply that noticing a suit-scale power source might take significantly longer.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Troll in the Playground

It might also assume that the incursion was dealt with, unless the stray Toughs make their presence known in some dramatic way.

Bristlecone had the advantage of starting a continent-sized fire, if I remember right.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

30. - Top - End - #1320

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedFilia View Post
    I was under the impression that the mission of the station-AI was to let the place revert to nature (for whatever reason).
    So it was programmed to *intentionally* let the people who built it die? Not really convinced by that one...