New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Hobbit Film... trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I'm kinda hoping that to be the case..however..PJ knew what he was doing very well when he tackled the LOTR to filmify it, managing to not only shoot 3 movies at the same time but also bring modifications on the fly and being mostly on top of things... could he really have so grossly miscalculated his planning with regards to 2 movies..no, scrap that..we've been shooting too much stuff, let's make it 3 instead?
    I'm thinking this should have become apparent fairly early in the process of shooting/production.. the very late timing of the announcement that after all there are going to be 3 movies is.. odd.
    He did a good job of making LOTR into 3 movies, but note that there was a whole bunch of stuff cut for the theatrical releases that went into the extended DVD cuts. I'm viewing the 3-movie Hobbit as something he wants to do so as to keep that "extended" stuff in on the big screen.

Also, after viewing the trailer, the wargs seem to actually look like wolves rather than mutant hyenas.
    Last edited by Muz; 2012-09-19 at 02:27 PM.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Does this mean my Warg action figures are invalidated?!?!??

3. - Top - End - #393
    Colossus in the Playground

Im not so sure I liked the part with gandalf talking to galadriel, or whoever it was and him talking about how he brought bilbo along for hope or some such thing. What the hell did gandalf need hope for? He wasnt on a quest to do something like, I dunno, destroy the one thing that is keeping sauron tethered to this plane of existence, he is trying to get a group of dwarves moving on their quest to go feed themselves to a dragon like a bunch of morons. "Oh sure 100+ years ago a much younger smaug wiped out my entire clan barring a few survivors, but im sure the 13 of us dwarves will be more than able to handle an even older and stronger version of smaug. After all, we brought musical instruments!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im not so sure I liked the part with gandalf talking to galadriel, or whoever it was and him talking about how he brought bilbo along for hope or some such thing. What the hell did gandalf need hope for? He wasnt on a quest to do something like, I dunno, destroy the one thing that is keeping sauron tethered to this plane of existence, he is trying to get a group of dwarves moving on their quest to go feed themselves to a dragon like a bunch of morons. "Oh sure 100+ years ago a much younger smaug wiped out my entire clan barring a few survivors, but im sure the 13 of us dwarves will be more than able to handle an even older and stronger version of smaug. After all, we brought musical instruments!"
    And Frodo wasn't brought along for courage?
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

So basically PJ is gonna epic-fy The Hobbit and it's gonna feel all awkward?

But hey! We get to see the Necromancer!

When I was a young 'un reading The Hobbit, I always pictured him like this. Just taller and with long witchy fingernails. And shinier.
    Last edited by MLai; 2012-09-20 at 06:29 AM.

6. - Top - End - #396

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    And Frodo wasn't brought along for courage?
    Frodo was brought along because noone else was either willing to hold the ring, or capable of withstanding its allure. Bilbo was brought along because gandalf is a very strange old man that apparently is able to tell that a fat tiny gentleman of leisure would make for an excellent hero with a bit of experience.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #397
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Frodo was brought along because noone else was either willing to hold the ring, or capable of withstanding its allure. Bilbo was brought along because gandalf is a very strange old man that apparently is able to tell that a fat tiny gentleman of leisure would make for an excellent hero with a bit of experience.
    Maybe Gandalf had taken a look at Bilbo's character sheet and noticed that he'd rolled great for his stats.

Plus, you gain XP SO fast when you're a 1st-level character in a higher-level party. Just so long as you can stay alive the first few combats . . .
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

Frodo was brought along because noone else was either willing to hold the ring, or capable of withstanding its allure.
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc.. is what Dr. Sheldon Cooper would say.
    Bilbo was brought along because gandalf is a very strange old man that apparently is able to tell that a fat tiny gentleman of leisure would make for an excellent hero with a bit of experience.
    that's more like it
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-09-20 at 09:21 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

9. - Top - End - #399
    Bugbear in the Playground

Given the little smile Gandalf has when he says it, I'm not entirely sure his answer is meant to be 100% serious. Or maybe he's realizing that Thorin's quest is a long shot, and Gandalf is laughing at the absurdity of his own answer. (Thought to himself: "Why DID I send this poor hobbit? I suppose it was a silly thing you did, old Gandalf, you and your hobbit fascination...")

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well here, but hopefully someone gets my point.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

10. - Top - End - #400

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc.. is what Dr. Sheldon Cooper would say.

that's more like it
    I disagree. Frodo, in the book, had held the ring already for quite some time. He had shown resistance to its influence, and considering bilbo was able to let it go after what, 30 years of owning it? It made sense to let frodo take it when he volunteered to do so. Especially since he had managed to get it to rivendell in the first place when gandalf got waylaid. They couldnt let boromir take it, he wanted to use it. It couldnt be held by an elf or dwarf due to racial mistrust, gandalf flat out refused to touch the dang thing, and merry and pippin were morons. Frodo was the only reasonable choice. This was a totally different situation than The Hobbit. In The Hobbit, Gandalf shows up, virtually forces bilbo to join up, and gives no reason other than mystical wise man mutterings about how there is more to him than you guess. He pretty much randomly picked a fat nervous hobbit who had likely never been more than 2 miles from his house before and tossed him out on a quest that could have lead to a horrible death. If he had an actual reason to pick bilbo, he never really shares it with the rest of us.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I think Bilbo was brought along because Gandalf wanted a non-dwarf in the party--particulary one who wouldn't succumb to greed. Elves were out of the question and most men could be as greedy as dwarves.

Gandalf had been good friends with Bilbo's grandfather, his two maternal aunts, and his mother* so Bilbo was on the top of list. Maybe Aragorn would have been a better choice, but he probably wasn't available and the dwarves may not have accepted him.

* It is hinted that Bilbo's mother may have gone on adventures with Gandalf.

Frodo was the clear choice as ring bearer because he already had it and was doing a fairly good job of resisting its influence. Also, hobbits seemed to be most resistant to the ring.

Finally, Merry isn't an idiot. The film adaption really butchers his character. He's actually responsible. He organizes Frodo's feigned move to Buckland, and he gathers the supplies for the trip out of the Shire. They ride on Merry's ponies and eat Merry's food.

Pippin is the irresponsible one, and that is mainly due to his age. Pippin has not yet "come of age." He is still in his irresponible "twenties" while Merry has the reputation as a responsible adult. Farmer Maggot treats Merry with the upmost respect--and not simply because of who Merry's father is.

I once read an essay which compared the fellowship to a sort of family. Gandalf was the father and Aragorn was the oldest brother who takes charge in the father's absence. Merry was the responsible middle child who gets overshadowed while Pippin is the youngest child.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

I disagree. Frodo, in the book, had held the ring already for quite some time. He had shown resistance to its influence, and considering bilbo was able to let it go after what, 30 years of owning it? It made sense to let frodo take it when he volunteered to do so. Especially since he had managed to get it to rivendell in the first place when gandalf got waylaid. They couldnt let boromir take it, he wanted to use it. It couldnt be held by an elf or dwarf due to racial mistrust, gandalf flat out refused to touch the dang thing, and merry and pippin were morons. Frodo was the only reasonable choice. This was a totally different situation than The Hobbit. In The Hobbit, Gandalf shows up, virtually forces bilbo to join up, and gives no reason other than mystical wise man mutterings about how there is more to him than you guess. He pretty much randomly picked a fat nervous hobbit who had likely never been more than 2 miles from his house before and tossed him out on a quest that could have lead to a horrible death. If he had an actual reason to pick bilbo, he never really shares it with the rest of us.
    61 years of ownership.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #403
    Firbolg in the Playground

He pretty much randomly picked a fat nervous hobbit who had likely never been more than 2 miles from his house before and tossed him out on a quest that could have lead to a horrible death. If he had an actual reason to pick bilbo, he never really shares it with the rest of us.
    I always seemed to think that he picked Bilbo because he would get along with the Dwarves better than anyone else in Hobbiton. Thereby making him the better traveling companion. Not sure how Gandalf would have known that other than previous dealings with Hobbits.
    I can't back it up with a quotation or anything, just a vibe I got.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

14. - Top - End - #404

Gandalf did mention bilbos family from time to time, implying that the took side of his family didnt mind having adventures, but that doesnt explain why gandalf didnt go after an actual took instead of bilbo. Like I said, I basically put it down to mysterious sage who knows things he has no way of knowing picking bilbo because he knows this particular hobbit can pull it off.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

Gandalf did mention bilbos family from time to time, implying that the took side of his family didnt mind having adventures, but that doesnt explain why gandalf didnt go after an actual took instead of bilbo. Like I said, I basically put it down to mysterious sage who knows things he has no way of knowing picking bilbo because he knows this particular hobbit can pull it off.
    Bilbo in his youth was always the most interested in Gandalf's stories. Much like Frodo.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rake21 View Post
    Huh, up until now I thought this was about a Dwarven a Capella group... I'm a little disappointed now.
    Don't worry, they just cut the trailer together so it would appeal to the fantasy/action crowd. The actual film is about a Dwarven acapella group and their struggles when their manager decides to add a hobbit to the group.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

They were marathoning pretty hard. Maybe they're starting a new thing - Ironman Acapella.

I thought dwarves hate running? Hobbits too.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    61 years of ownership.
    Closer to sixty. Bilbo's 51st birthday was in Lake-Town, while he gave it up at his 111th birthday party. He's one of only two people who ever gave the Ring up willingly, and had it so much longer that Sam doesn't really compare.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Closer to sixty. Bilbo's 51st birthday was in Lake-Town, while he gave it up at his 111th birthday party. He's one of only two people who ever gave the Ring up willingly, and had it so much longer that Sam doesn't really compare.
    Well to be fair to Sam, the ring was much more desperate and far closer to the seat of it's power.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #410

Like I said, I basically put it down to mysterious sage who knows things he has no way of knowing picking bilbo because he knows this particular hobbit can pull it off.
    In Unfinished Tales Gandalf goes into some depth on why he picked Bilbo. "Tookishness" is not enough on its own- a certain stolidity is needed as well.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Gandalf was the original Party Manager consultant. He knew the party needed an Everyman with John McClane armor to stand a chance.

Every band of adventurers planning to go on an adventure should hire one. Every party should have an expert 2nd opinion on not just their tank/dps/support quota, but also personality chemistry.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Don't worry, they just cut the trailer together so it would appeal to the fantasy/action crowd. The actual film is about a Dwarven acapella group and their struggles when their manager decides to add a hobbit to the group.
    this made my day :3
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

24. - Top - End - #414
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eh, I just wish they came out less than a year apart.