New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Hobbit Film... trilogy.

Problem is, I already own 2-3 versions of the books on audio. Dont think I can justify buying a 4th. :p I bought some version that was heavily padded in content, had a lot of details added in, like more of what went on with gollum when he went to barad dur and was captured. It wasnt BAD, but it wasnt as good in quality as the version we are talking about. I guess I just assumed, since im pretty sure they mention it was dadapted for radio, and had a british accented narrator and actor lineup that it was bbc.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    No, that's not the BBC radio version, which skipped from the Hobbits leaving the shire right to the Prancing Pony. (I know, I have the CDs, and have listened to it many times!)

Apparently, wiki says you are thinking of an earlier, even less well known radio drama often confused with the BBC version (but one apparently made in the US). (I have never heard of this particular version, personally.) It was apparently overshadowed by the BBC version which was released only a couple of years later. It is also the first adaption I've ever heard of that does apparently include old Tom.
    He's thinking of The Mind's Eye version from 1979 that has John Vickery in it and was recorded in a bathroom (no, I'm not making that up).

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Banned

Man, is anybody else excited for all the memes these films will generate? I mean, look at the first trilogy. We got, amongst many, how one does not simply walk into Mordor. I can't wait for all the new memes. I wonder if they're be better or worse than the old ones?

...and my axe!

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Man, is anybody else excited for all the memes these films will generate? I mean, look at the first trilogy. We got, amongst many, how one does not simply walk into Mordor. I can't wait for all the new memes. I wonder if they're be better or worse than the old ones?

...and my axe!
    Im guessing,

_______, thats what bilbo baggins hates!

Fill in the blank with whatever, pedos, derps, off topic discussions, just about anything.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im guessing,

_______, thats what bilbo baggins hates!

Fill in the blank with whatever, pedos, derps, off topic discussions, just about anything.
    Man, that's been a meme since the 70s when the animated version came out. I'm talking about new memes for a new generation.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"by my life or death, i will protect you." yet another great quote from aragorn.

also is there any news on a release date? i believe i heard something about the holidays.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

I predict a new craze where large numbers of people will turn up on friends doorsteps one by one demanding cake.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I predict a new craze where large numbers of people will turn up on friends doorsteps one by one demanding cake.
    if I had friends who would get the joke, I would totally organize just that
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

9. - Top - End - #129

Its hard to say really, it depends on both the dialogue in the movie, as well as how its delivered. I bet "One does not simply walk into mordor" would have been noticeable if it hadnt been delivered so well. In all honesty, one of the exchanges I REALLY want to see is the bilbo/gollum meetup. I want to hear, "What... has it got... IN ITS POCKETSES!!!!!" screamed out through the dark cave as bilbo hides in terror. My audio version did it great, it sent chills down my spine and made ME want to hide till gollum was gone. Im also curious to see if the whole, "Old fat spider" taunting rhyming thing will be altered, because honestly, what the hell is an attercop, tomnoddy, lazy lob and crazy cob, etc etc etc. I know the meanings because I googled the hell out of them but none of those are words most people in america are going to know off the top of their head. You might as well have bilbo start speaking mandarin for all the sense it will make.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

what the hell is an attercop, tomnoddy, lazy lob and crazy cob, etc etc etc. I know the meanings because I googled the hell out of them but none of those are words most people in america are going to know off the top of their head.
    They are sufficiently obscure (because Tolkien was, after all a linguist) that I wasn't originally aware they HAD a meaning other than nonsense words - Tolkien certainly wouldn't have expected the bulk of his readers (especially given the Hobbit was written more as a children's tale) to know what they meant. I suspect the only reason he used real words at all was for a bit of an in-joke to himself; as in the days before the Internet, I suspect you would have been fairly hard-pressed to find them in your average household dictionary.

Not everything always needs to be spelled out, nor should it be. The context provided was more than sufficient explanation "no spider has ever liked being called Attercop, and Tomnoddy of course is insulting to anybody." The true meaning of the words is sort of left to the reader's imagination unless they happen to look it up, whereupon they can have a good giggle at Tolkien being obscure.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion6 View Post
    also is there any news on a release date? i believe i heard something about the holidays.
    The first one will be released onn December 14, the second December 13 2013. And the third one sometime in the summer of 2014.

12. - Top - End - #132

They are sufficiently obscure (because Tolkien was, after all a linguist) that I wasn't originally aware they HAD a meaning other than nonsense words - Tolkien certainly wouldn't have expected the bulk of his readers (especially given the Hobbit was written more as a children's tale) to know what they meant. I suspect the only reason he used real words at all was for a bit of an in-joke to himself; as in the days before the Internet, I suspect you would have been fairly hard-pressed to find them in your average household dictionary.

Not everything always needs to be spelled out, nor should it be. The context provided was more than sufficient explanation "no spider has ever liked being called Attercop, and Tomnoddy of course is insulting to anybody." The true meaning of the words is sort of left to the reader's imagination unless they happen to look it up, whereupon they can have a good giggle at Tolkien being obscure.
    Ah, my apologies, as an american, I was unaware if those terms were like old slang in england, like "the bees knees" or something like the poem about the jabberwocky with its made up words. And you do have a point about the context, although i dunno if this is a movie that will be narrated, so trying to explain that these are insults may have to rely on the spiders hissing even more loudly or something. I say when bilbo starts taunting, we skip straight to the french castle guards in quest for the holy grail instead. THOSE are insults that could enrage anyone!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    He's thinking of The Mind's Eye version from 1979 that has John Vickery in it and was recorded in a bathroom (no, I'm not making that up).
    thats kind of...concerning?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, my apologies, as an american, I was unaware if those terms were like old slang in england, like "the bees knees" or something like the poem about the jabberwocky with its made up words. And you do have a point about the context, although i dunno if this is a movie that will be narrated, so trying to explain that these are insults may have to rely on the spiders hissing even more loudly or something. I say when bilbo starts taunting, we skip straight to the french castle guards in quest for the holy grail instead. THOSE are insults that could enrage anyone!
    Well, the Spiders could talk, so you could have them reacting to that verbally.

Or, yes, the French castle guards...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-08-08 at 09:53 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135

Well, the Spiders could talk, so you could have them reacting to that verbally.

Or, yes, the French castle guards...
    I just started laughing, because I pictured Bilbo spewing all sorts of obscure insults like attercop and lazy lob, while the spiders get ticked and just start spewing curses at him. "Attercop?! YOU &%^$*^&%! My mother was a SAINT!" (yes, I know the response doesnt make sense)

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

Speaking of which, I am still curious to see how they handle the spiders talking, and the trolls. Will they still talk at all? It doesn't seem in keeping with LOTR, but then in LOTR (book or movie, I think), you wouldn't get trolls named Tom, Burt, and Will, either.

Hmm. Did Shelob have any dialogue in the book? I'm thinking she didn't...

I don't really know which way PJ's going to go on this. I'm just curious to see what they come up with.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    She doesn't, but she is revealed to be the literal mother of all giant spiders.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Speaking of which, I am still curious to see how they handle the spiders talking, and the trolls. Will they still talk at all? It doesn't seem in keeping with LOTR, but then in LOTR (book or movie, I think), you wouldn't get trolls named Tom, Burt, and Will, either.

I don't really know which way PJ's going to go on this. I'm just curious to see what they come up with.
    Shelob didn't talk, but that doesn't mean she didn't necessarily know how. Or it could be that her smaller offspring - a more favourable environment (because seriously, Mordor) - were smarter than her.

But yes, it will be interesting to see if they have the spiders talking. I coulld see PJ doing it either way.

The trolls they really should, because, like Orcs, Trolls were intelligent after all. (For a given value of "intelligent".) Also, it would be hard for Gandalf to verbally outwit the stone trolls if they couldn't talk...!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I think PJ will cut that scene for something "more dignified." I'm expecting all of the light-heartness and silliness to be sucked out of these movie for "serious" LOTR-the prequels.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    I think PJ will cut that scene for something "more dignified." I'm expecting all of the light-heartness and silliness to be sucked out of these movie for "serious" LOTR-the prequels.
    Given that Jacskon put humour back IN to the LotR films, I somehow doubt that.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    So you haven't seen the trailer then, I take it?
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

sure jackson put humor into those films
    but at their heart they are still rather serious

the hobbit is a lot less serious, and i'm not sure if jackson can really communicate that without losing fans

personally i'm not sure i can take the dwarves, as such, seriously...
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    sure jackson put humor into those films
    but at their heart they are still rather serious

the hobbit is a lot less serious, and i'm not sure if jackson can really communicate that without losing fans

personally i'm not sure i can take the dwarves, as such, seriously...
    I know because of gimli I will be wondering how many of them are actually female.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

On the topic of dwarves, I don't like how they made Thorin Oakenshield not really dwarf-like. It's ok that they made him "heroic dwarf" height, i.e. much taller than other dwarves pretty much the size of a medieval man... But his face, is just really really human.

Especially because the actor is a tall well-built guy to begin with IRL. So his facial features are completely that of a tall human. And there's no makeup at all to make his features dwarvish. And his beard is not a beard for a dwarf; it's more like a dwarf-woman's 5 o'clock shadow.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    On the topic of dwarves, I don't like how they made Thorin Oakenshield not really dwarf-like. It's ok that they made him "heroic dwarf" height, i.e. much taller than other dwarves pretty much the size of a medieval man... But his face, is just really really human.

Especially because the actor is a tall well-built guy to begin with IRL. So his facial features are completely that of a tall human. And there's no makeup at all to make his features dwarvish. And his beard is not a beard for a dwarf; it's more like a dwarf-woman's 5 o'clock shadow.
    So the rest might be 1e he is probably 4e whilst Kili or Fili is 3e?

Did Tolkien describe what weapons each dwarf wielded?

I'd have assumed PJ would try and keep that as close to the book as he could...

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

I know because of gimli I will be wondering how many of them are actually female.
    eeyup

also
    i do agree that thorin seems off... we'll see what they do with him...
    My Metal Blog

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that was the right choice; Thorin is a tragic and serious character, and it wouldn't fit if he was "funny" looking like the other dwarfs. And he he is described as being tall enough to mount a horse, unlike other dwarfs who have to use ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

And his beard is not a beard for a dwarf; it's more like a dwarf-woman's 5 o'clock shadow.
    At least it's more of a beard than Kili's, that's the 5 o'clock shadow.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Now I dislike Thorin's design. It reminds me of John Travolta on Battlefield Earth. And I can't unsee it. I really hope he will kick rear-end in that movie, so that memory is erased from my brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    Eh I agree with you.

In my day, we had animated Bilbo Baggins and a fishman Gollum, 70's singers AND WE LIKED IT!!!
    Chip the glasses, crack the plates, that's what Bilbo Baggins hates!