New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: The Ultimate Conflict (Of Havens and Empires) IC

Nasiri freezes in place and simply blinks in dead silence to Korshim's bluntness. She did not expect such a response, much less one not stated so simply. Eventually she speaks up, more cautiously this time. "Well, that could be a problem." Though now cautious, it still comes off in a way that casual and unfazed; perhaps it might also be called uncaring. "But I don't think one can get much done by sulking over it. Is the dear Prince working on the issue at this time?" She doesn't look over to Zurkar, instead asking the clockwork dragon as if in mind that the prince is focused in his work.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As Rahja's magic spills outwards, Celestica can feel her body catching the magic almost unconsciously, taking it in as her sense of self extends. She can feel the caves around her and the ancient mountains they wind through as if they were truly alive, as if they were an extension of her own body.

From deep within the stonework, dim lines glow throughout the caverns, veins of light and energy spreading through the network as lifeblood flows through a human or elf. As Rahja's magic flows through Celestica, flows through the world around her, Celestica can feel the entirety of the mines and every being within in.

Bathed in the glow and curative energies of this miraculous phenomenon, the azers, having toiled for days without end, stop their efforts throughout the halls and simply stand there in awe and wonderment. Their flames, burning a low blue hue, brighten as they are filled with energy. Slowly but surely, the azers abandon their work and shuffle their way towards the source of this light, out into the open chamber.

The last of them arrive and the glow finally fades, though they remain attentive and calm as they look over those in the chambers, awaiting their first orders.

Celestica:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not going to explain precisely what is happening just yet but I'd say you have some sense of what's going on. Whenever you are targeted by a divine spell, you may spread the effect throughout the surrounding natural environment. I know that Rahja probably didn't target you this time around but I figured that the first display should be somewhat showy.

Once you get to work, everyone works at a breakneck pace. Usabhar succeeds at removing minerals from the cave using naught but his bare hands while Rahja is among the first to establish a degree of cooperation alien to the normal Azer mindset as her songs ring loudly and clearly throughout the caverns. Celestica helps to facilitate a good deal of work, carrying incredible quantities of material throughout the structure at fantastic speeds.

With but a few hours of work, the azers possess their homes and fortifications once more with new fortifications in the plan. No new chief has been appointed, however. From the way they talk (and you can hear the talk to each other as they work to rebuild), the thought that their new saviors and leaders might leave has yet to cross their minds.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2013-03-14 at 10:07 PM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

3. - Top - End - #813
    Colossus in the Playground

Well therein lies a problem. He replies. Nasiri notices he's speaking far more softly than normal. It is fine now but in said three days, if he even looks at me or vice-versa, it risks triggering the program. For the moment he is busy. I mean...I am at a total loss as of what to do. His steadily rising voice is giving away his growing panic as he begins to look about, more lively, but afraid. Very much afraid.

The High Lord knows of my triggers, and I am not at all a threat to him should we battle, but I lied to him. He doesn't know it's not just him the program would target. General Yowethegmar, Governor Harsevorus, Governor Plonteverial, the High Lord's entire. Family. Is in danger because of me. And this would include my creator! He leans closer to the Couatl, his eyes wild with panic. I'm going to be forced to kill my creator!

He pauses for a moment before sitting back, a gentle plume of steam rising out of his horns giving off something resembling a defeated sigh. If he knew what I was going to do, he would destroy me. Right there on the spot. He would be right to do so, though. Any machine that can be so easily turned against their creator deserves to be decommissioned.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

4. - Top - End - #814

SwashbucklerGuy

To work for what seems like an eternity, yet finish in what felt like minutes come off as nothing short of achievement to Usabhar. He brushes his hands against each other as he views the renewed kingdom city and all the effort he, Rahja, Celestica, and the azer have put into. To see the kingdom brought up to a fighting condition that just may help it survive is what the dwarf likes to see. Of course compared to his own kingdom, it never feels like enough. In a way it is tempting for Usabhar to continue working onward, trying to build greater defenses to use. His quality of craftsmanship however does not match the azer and he knows they will not appreciate that.

For just an immediate short time, Usabhar listens to the chatting azer speak ideas of their saviors and a new possible chieftain. The dwarf ponders the idea of it quietly; he has every capability to rule the azer, but to do so without the consent and agreement of the rest of the senate first would be both an illogical move and a betrayal of Usabhar's ideals. So with that, he is rather stuck for a short time on how to resolve it.

His first course of action in this case is to speak with Rahja and Celestica about it. He approaches the two when they all have a moment in their construction working. "I thank you for being able to assist," he begins respectfully. "I had not expect the azer to cooperate as they have done so. I was under the belief that I would have been to do the work myself." The dwarf clearly shows no sort of dislike from the idea that he may have had to do it himself; it's simply what he had expected he would have done.

"Now they speak of a new chief as you have heard. I doubt either of you two have an interest to rule, so I will take responsibility of the safety of the azer." Despite the respectfulness, he is a bit blunt and forward on his speech, as most of his kind often is towards others. "When we are done here Rahja, I ask that you will be able to take me to Sargti. I must speak with my people and that of the senate to discuss this matter." He waits for her to respond before the dwarf gets back to work calmly, showing feats of strength in physical work better seen outside of battle than inside.

Back on Emanacal, Nasiri finds herself silent, yet utterly annoyed at Korshim's panic. She did not understand the worry the clockwork dragon has in an event still to come, much less one that may still be avoidable. In an effort to get Korshim to snap out of it, she makes an attempt to whack Korshim's eye with her tail. It does little more than bruise her scales a bit but she hides the pain with an unamused look and a suddenly brash, if fake tone. "Oh and here I thought machines couldn't be such whiners. Does the High Lord seriously allow such panic in his ranks?"

She whacks Korshim again. "Do you know a reason why I follow my lord, Usabhar? It is because he is practical and knows rationality without sacrificing the needs of morality he upholds in his kingdom. I had thought you understood a part of it and acted as such, as a machine would. The way you pout as a being is something I can't stand." Suddenly it is hard to imagine Nasiri as compassionate; for her to be insulting as a couatl makes her seem sort of like a mental warrior, one who battles brutally with words when she must.

Moments later, she calms down, frantic movement she had made before subsided into a calm breeze. "...Yet, that is what makes you more than a machine," she whispers to Korshim's ear. "You have refused and declined numerous, simple orders you have made before. Does that not come off as machine to you? I bet these triggers of yours are simply something mechanical... Use some logic; how can a mechanism like that work on a sentient being?" She lets her quiet words leave at that as she waits for Korshim to respond.

5. - Top - End - #815

Nasiri is greeted by a nice ringing noise when her tail impacts the Clockwork Dragon's brass plating, in addition to a rather painful soreness that makes whacking the metal dragon not seem like such a good idea in retrospect.
    You know my designation? My...name? "Korshim?" It's draconic for "Machine." I have a mind, yes. A sentient ((THERE I SAID IT!! )) mind, but it is still the mind of a machine. A machine built for purpose, one that can decide when their objectives conflict and bring about a resolution. He pauses for a bit.

My function is to protect and serve my creator, the High Lord, and the Indigo Dynasty. If I am so ineffective as to be tampered with in such a way that I can be modified to act against my will, against my function, then in volunteering to be decommissioned I would be fulfilling my duty. It may be what you organics consider to be death, but I think I can die knowing I stood strong and faithful for 24 years....but... Korshim starts trembling, and Nasiri is almost certain it's starting to get rather warm in Korshim's proximity. The latter looks away from Nasiri, almost unable to look upon her.

I...I don't want to die. I want to live.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2013-03-15 at 10:30 PM.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

Rahja watches in innocent amazement at the wonders Celestica brings forth to the world around them. With a beautiful smile, her laugh coming straight from her elated heart, the healer embraces Celestica in plain view of everyone else, so happy, so fortunate to be able to be the soul mate of such a wonderful woman.

Once work is done, Rahja nods in agreement at the transporation request. Looking at the azer, then back at Usabhar, she can't help but speak her mind for a bit, knowing he is accustomed to frank words. "Paragon, I see immediate need for change not only for this community, but your kingdom as a whole. It is one thing to say that your people will endure everything and beat everything, that the senate rules this world, but without the logistics and means to back up that claim, it means nothing. You all weren't aware of what happened to the azer, you had no means to get to them in a timely fashion if I had not been around. You need instant communication with your cities and allies, you need transportation, ideally teleportation, to come to your allies' aid when they need it, otherwise something like what happened here is bound to repeat, regardless of your strength."

"If you can manage to establish that by yourselves, that will do nicely. If you require aid in planning and setting up said means, I'd be happy to find volunteers among Haven's members to do so, as we specialize in bringing people together, help worlds flourish. We desire neither power, influence nor station, just being allowed to help and guide where needed. In turn, though, we request that those working for Haven's cause remain independent, regardless of whether they come from this or other worlds, so that they can do good without becoming a tool of politics. We can only do as much as you allow us to." Every word is genuine, without malice or a sense of superiority. She believes in her cause wholeheartedly, helping worlds help themselves, regardless of personal power or rank.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Celestica feels the healing energy flowing into her from her soul mate and then out into the mountains in a mysterious fashion that she doesnt completely understand. But, already having become tied to one plane in Bytopia, its somewhat similar and she just immerses herself in the experience. Celestica always had a strong connection to the forest of Crystalia and she savours getting in touch with another aspect of nature, one heretofore unknown to her, the mountains and rocks. When it finally finishes, she feels just the smallest sense of loss, but with what Rahja and her have brought forth, it inspires her to work that much harder in the rebuild of the Azer civilization.
    Once the work is done, she shares the embrace with Rahja, keeping an arm about her waist as she addresses the teleportation needs, agreeing silently with what she says.

@ Rahja
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rahja can also feel in Celestica's soul that what they just did together has wiped away the sting of Lord Wero's rather callous treatment of her.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #818

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar pays careful attention to Rahja when she begins speaking and indication some of the problems there is in his kingdom and allies. For a time, he silently contemplates the aasimar's words without the slightest hint of annoyance or agitation from her suggestions. She is right in that the dwarf would not have made it here in such fortunate time without her assistance, and the help that Haven may bring might be a godsend to Sargti and it's allies. The one request Rahja asks for is also all too good to be believable if there was not so many impossible ideas and powers that tie into reality.

With all this in mind, Usabhar eventually nods slowly. His worn eyes look up towards the aasimar. "Your offer is very compassionate; it is something not seen far-and-wide outside of my kingdom. If Haven wishes to assist, then it may do so after I have confirmed it back at Sargti. If it is my allies who will need better transport and communication, I will accept your help as needed. I do state however that Sargti itself should not need much compared to our allies. My kind survives and thrives through any wear and tear that the multiverse can throw at and we will be willing to help defend Haven if it is under siege itself. And it's independence will be guarenteed. My kingdom values independence and one's separate culture and faith to the extent that there is only little that is greater. If Haven will be used as tools, I will correct that. You have my word on it."

Hardened up and confident, Usabhar sees if Celestica is busy before quickly stating. "If we are to go, it should be now. I ask for you to come with me Rahja, so that your ideas may be presented directly to the senate and that they and I can argue and agree on the arrangement."

In seeing Korshim's trembling, Nasiri lets out a quiet huff of disapproval, though not trying to be refusing at all. Slowly she trickily flies up from behind to above Korshim's head, then flies down a bit to meet her upside down eyes with that of the clockwork dragon's. "Then live," she firmly states to him as if she was giving him an order. "If you don't want to die, and there is something that puts you and others at risk, then fix it. Not doing anything is how worries can become a reality. If you stay as you are and just think on the event, then it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy." Her words and bluntness come off as if she has learned quite a few traits from Usabhar.

She begins to soften a bit again, speaking her own mind in a more sombre affair now. "In my opinion, the beliefs we have on what we can do is what makes our achievements. I am sure that the High Lord desired to rise and rule above all, letting his desires and will drive him towards it. My lord Usabhar was given creation from the wills of his kind who were unshaken in their beliefs to survive and defy the odds set before them. The accomplishments one can make from a drive and belief is how this world turns."

She begins smiling once more, a calm, serene, perhaps charismatic smile. "So, though I be cursed to be whacked one day for saying this, have some faith and believe in yourself. Your will and sentience can drive your actions towards the goal you wish to reach; all you have to do is to make the first step and be demanding enough to continue it. I'm also here to help with that."

She pauses, finding a problem in her persuasion. She hadn't brought Korshim's programming into this at all. As an 'organic' of sorts, she thinks differently from machines like Korshim, who probably thinks differently from other machines as a result. She takes a moment to think before speaking once more. "Or think of it like this: Your purpose is to serve the High Lord and his family above all. The rogue programming wants to overwrite that and bring harm to them instead. Because your old programming knows this, it shouldn't be effectively sitting there and letting the rogue program activate. Your current programming should be yelling, screaming, cursing the rogue that plans to delete who you are now in time! In a way you defy your own programming now and you decide to make a non-productive stance towards finding a solution?!" Her voice notably yells and booms as she went on. While she knows Korshim is truly sentient, speaking to him in any way other than the way he understands doesn't seem to get her anywhere.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-03-18 at 11:44 AM.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

Rahja agrees with a nod. "I will hold you to your word, as I will know and I will not allow any of the good souls that have dedicated themselves to Haven's cause to be used." Rahja naturally shifts back to her serene demeanor, openly glad they are on the same page, before turning to Celestica to hear her decision about whether to stay or to go.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

To Sargti first, to handle Usabhar's business and then to the Emanacal Palace where the Mithral King is. And I have some other business there.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

"Then let us waste no time." Taking Celestica's hand and touching Usabhar's arm, Rahja teleports the small group back to Sargti.

12. - Top - End - #822

This talk of "faith" and "belief" really did nothing to resonate with Korshim, who really only understood the concept as just that. A concept. In trying her hardest to explain a path forward, all Nasiri did was confuse the machine who was entirely convinced he was a machine. Instead of the response the Couatl was hoping for, she got a rather vacant and confused expression.

However when said Couatl realized her lack of progress, and amended her statement more to make sense to a machine, Korshim finally respods.
    The way I have seen it there are three options available. One: Delete the rogue program or otherwise corrupt it to render it inert and non-functional. Two: Reset my internal clock to Year Zero. A temporary solution but four hundred and eighty years plus three days should be sufficient to finding a lasting solution. Or three....face this program head-on, and ignore what it makes me do that defies my older, correct programming. Under controlled circumstances.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sargti: You arrive in Sargti without difficulty. As this is the first time most citizens have seen Usabhar since being chosen as an avatar, the people don't quite seem to know how to treat him. Though the dwarves of Sargti are loathe to bow down to anyone, they lock their eyes upon him with a gaze halfway between terror and jubilation, tempered by the utmost respect.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

14. - Top - End - #824

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar could finally relax a little as he arrives back in Sargti, back in the lands he knows and understands best. Yet it is not in his nature to relax; he always believes in the need to be forever battle-ready and calm to face any situation and threat in his way. So upon arrival, he looks directly to Rahja and gives immediate warning to her about his kingdom. "I warn that these halls may lack the... uniqueness other kingdoms have. We are a kind that does not spoil us with luxury, instead surviving on what we are given and making the greatest of it." As an avatar would, Usabhar speaks with the greatest confidence and respect for his kingdom.

He is also not unaware of how the other dwarves look at him now. Their looks of respect and partial terror give mixed feelings to Usabhar. He is a god, a fact that cannot be denied. However he dislikes the idea of him being larger than life even if his abilities back it up. Instead he prefers being a first among equals, a princeps, as one might say. Despite that, the dwarf does not try to change how the dwarves of Sargti think of him and lets them be to their opinion. All he gives in response to each one is a respectful nod to acknowledge their existence and assistance they give to his kingdom.

Usabhar leads Rahja to the highest ring that they may normally reach by foot, then exits outside and points upward to the highest ring where the senate lies. "Most must climb up from here on out. If you can fly aasimar, stay close to the walls. Our defenses are very cautious with anyone who flies." In a strange way, Usabhar speaks to Rahja like he is trying to be somewhat of a mentor, teaching Rahja about his kind and ways. With that, he scales up the mountain once more, this time not waiting long for Rahja to follow. He knows she can easily catch up and pass him, whether by flight or by teleportation. Usabhar however prefers the old-fashioned way of getting around his kingdom.

Nasiri ponders the options Korshim has stated, wondering which might be best to work for this instance. Eventually she smiles cunningly, amused at a possible indication regarding each plan. "Well, they all sound feasible at worst, easily doable at best. But why use one when they all lay out available to us? You can reset your internal clock, delete or corrupt the rogue program, and try and fight it head-on as well. After all, if someone hands out a few weapons or pieces of equipment, why take one when we can have it all without worry that someone else might needs it?"

15. - Top - End - #825

The clockwork dragon stares blankly at Nasiri for a bit before sending his hand into his faceplate in a motion that would if not outright kill Nasiri, at least break too many bones for her comfort. The resulting impact leaves a deep ringing voice that is only vaguely audible, but leaves the room shaking like some strong bass note. Durr! He replies, a bit sarcastically.

Why didn't I think of that before? He looks to Nasiri again, iris shutters a bit narrowed. Out of curiosity how good are you with handling magical trinkets?

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

"Not all cultures wreathe their leaders in oppulence or let them do just that." Rahja answers as she follows behind, finding the principles presented to her perfectly normal due to already having met dozens upon dozens of cultures and Usabhar already having extensively talked about his people at any given opportunity. Unaffected by the cold and winds, the healer simply walks, more expedient travel not bearing any advantage as talking to the senate requires Usabhar's presence. The way her hair and scarf move still manages to look just a bit off, a bit otherworldly, her hand often finding Celestica's or caressing her shoulder. Healing magic is gently channelled through the elven maiden, both to see how it affects Sargti's harsh environment and to please her soul mate.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

Celestica climbs as well, she may not be as used to climbing mountains as some people are, but shes climbed more trees in her time than most people have seen. And the principles arent much different. She doesnt plan on speaking to the senate, elven government is so much different from the dwarves...in fact the words elf and government dont really belong in the same sentence. She does laugh quietly to herself as she remembers her jokes about Rahja's scarf, she does have to get herself one of those.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #828
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sargti: You scale the mountain without any further difficulty, finally reaching your destination near the peak. Inside, the assembled leaders of Sargti are speaking amongst themselves, though they cease as soon as you arrive.

OOC: In context, I am assuming that you were going to meet the leaders. If I missed some intention to do something else, let me know.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2013-03-20 at 11:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #829

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar enters the council room in quiet, stoic, yet heavy manner. Never has someone other than a dwarf entered this room before, though he gets the feeling that the council is more interested in himself than Rahja or Celestica. He approaches the other dwarves, hopefully already acquainted to Salin's return. "I am back, though just for a short time," he states to his kin.

"I have brought allies here on an important matter. You should remember Celestica," He waves his hand over to bring their attention to Celestica and Rahja. "And the aasimar is Rahja. She is the one to thank for Salin's curing." He keeps calmness in the presence of the two, not going to be surprised if the council is amazed by the appearance of two other incredible people. "Rahja has a proposition to ask of us all after the three of us have visited the Azer."

The dwarf goes to sit upon his seat in the council room. "Would you please Rahja? Celestica you may add in something if you like."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll let Ridai and Mikela take it from here.

Showing a rare moment of discomfort, Nasiri rumbles along with the rest of the room when Korshim slams his hand to his faceplate. By the time she stops shaking, she gives a sarcastic response to his former question. "Well, for one you should look into bass music with your body. I think you'd bring the house down." She then moves onto his other question about magical trinkets. She chuckles a bit... then looks less amused, almost embarrassed, when her own abilities are addressed. "...Not quite to the level you'd need I'm afraid. Isn't the prince the one you'd ask about that?"

20. - Top - End - #830
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Celestica will obviously let Rahja do the talking, its not her offer to give.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

21. - Top - End - #831

Unfortunately my creator is rather busy at the moment. And I assure you I am not a musical instrument. He looks away for a moment as if in thought.

There is...another who may be useful. However i'm sure you understand my reluctance to enlist the help of the High Lord.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Titan in the Playground

Rahja does a customary bow as she is introduced, smiling gently, eventually nodding as she is given the opportunity to make her offer. As she steps up her presence and beauty are undeniable, her words sure and impeccably spoken.

"Thank you, paragon. Honored council, it has only been a few days since I first met the paragon and despite this short time, I have heard and seen much of the greatness and tenacity of your people, standing strong and unwavering against all odds, unmatched by anyone on this world. And therein lies the problem. Your people withstand all, but your allies like the azer can't on their own. Furthermore, you seem to possess little in the way of communication over large distances, let alone expedient means of crossing said distances. When I brought the paragon to the azer capital, the only reason why it was still standing after the invasion from the cracks was because of a powerful automaton that happened to be there at the time. Without anyone else knowing what had been happening."

"If you truly desire to call these other cultures your allies and protect them, you will require the logistics to back up those promises, as this is a matter that can't be overcome by sheer defiance. Meaning magical communication to coordinate and stay in touch, as well as supernatural means of travel, preferrably teleportation or spacial gates, to be able to come to another's aid when necessary or transport goods. All I desire is to see this kingdom creating those means, so that this world can thrive. If you can do so by yourselves, consider this the end of my proposal. If you require aid in planning and setting up these logistics, I offer to find volunteers among the people of Haven. We desire no power, station or influence, we only work to improve the lives of others and help people help themselves. We only help as much as you allow as to, we work with what we have or what you give to us, we require no compensation, no favors. All I ask of you is that, if you would like us to help, the kind souls that volunteer to help, as well as those that might decide to join our cause, remain independent, free from the influence of politics so that they can aid to the best of their abilities."

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 for Diplomacy 157 if necessary.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The Dwarven Elders, initially visually displeased at Rahja's and Celestica's presence even at Usabhar's whim, soon find themselves rubbing their bearded chins and looking from one to the other as if seeing whether any truly seem deadset against it. though nobody immediately protests, it is clear that none of them are quite satisfied with the idea. At last, one of them manages to voice their concerns.

"...Rahja... We would thank you for your offer. Few here bother to learn much of magic and we can tell you mean us no harm. It is true, much of what you say. If we turned to magic, we could better protect our allies. We could... "teleport"... and avoid the wasteland altogether. We could build wards to keep our enemies at bay. With enough magic, we don't doubt you could triumph where we have failed and reclaim the wastes. We don't doubt you could make us irrelevant."

"Though we mine and trade and farm, we are neither miners nor traders nor farmers. We are warriors, Rahja. Through combat do we claim our rights to our clans, mates, and positions. We... are not ignorant to magic. If we take your, offer, though, we take our first step towards losing everything. If we accept your offer, we go against all that our ancestors have taught us."

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

An army is only as great as its speed and ability to transport itself. How many battles have been lost when an army outran its supply lines? Those who supply transport are just as much warriors as those in the front lines. All Rahja is offering you is a quicker system of transport. Not a way to battle, but a way to get to battle.

(1d20+50)[68] diplomacy
    #GoreMutualarejerks

25. - Top - End - #835

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar as well takes time to assess Rahja's offer and Celestica's added suggestion. At this time, he realizes the mental impasse he is currently at. He knew that magic, even the slightest bit could be an improvement and it would be foolish to completely deny it. However the senate is correct, magic is something that one could easily end up heavily relying on, turning one weak and neglecting of their body if not completely kept in focus. With the wastes of Kulomen to repopulate and the other threats to keep watch off, the dwarves probably cannot devote themselves to something else as well while keeping their teachings and culture.

"...Let me speak," Usabhar states after Celestica's suggestion. His voice worrying grim, but also sympathetic. "Rahja, Celestica, as they have said, with magic, we would be able to scour and venture more, easily assisting our allies in their affairs. But... never have we actually come to rely on magic. Our concerns lie on how it may change us. We are a kind who have survived by adapting and defying what we have seen and faced. Our strength came from ourselves and not the manipulation of spirits or magic. It is from that of which we will revive Kulomen. We give it rebirth through natural use and resources instead of using the means of wizards or druids." He pauses, as if in thought. Usabhar knows that he, as paragon, avatar, and God of his kind, could simply overrule what the rest of the senate says for him. Yet that would go against his ideals as a first among equals. He must value the ideas of the senate for one man, no matter how wise, always makes a mistake that one other can correct before it is too late.

He learns forward to speak clearly to Rahja and Celestica. "What I state is that our teachings has helped us grow and prosper our kingdom for it's entire lifespan. To change to something unknown, something powerful, and something that makes life so easy is something like suited to us dwarves. To preserve our identity and what makes us who we are, we are not fond of the idea of learning magic." There is a tense pause, yet before anyone else may speak, Usabhar booms yet again. "However, you have a point Celestica. The travels to the Azer are forceful and brutal. Though we may cross it, it will never be in an optimal time in times of dire need. Until we discover mounts that may fly us over, we are stuck on foot."

He then looks to the senate, calmly enforcing his idea. "What I wish is for the Azer to grow and be self-sufficient like ourselves and the giants. They were fine for a time, but now they struggle after the fight in the skies. I feel that we should assist them with better fortifications and weapons so that they may not lose another chieftain... To this I make an offer. We will not accept Rahja's deal of magic, but for one time, we ask her to take some of our warriors to the Azer in haste and help them come to greater protection. Once that is achieved, we may have Rahja transport back our warriors to Sargti, and that will be the extent of the deal. With this, we may not put waste on traveling through those deathlands to the Azer for this critical time. We do not learn magic, and instead enlist it's one-time aid while not having Haven struggle in helping us." He pauses, knowing that it is important to keep the culture of the dwarves, yet feels that this is one opportunity that would be unfortunate to pass.

"Infert, Hirmden, Afir, Vemi, Salin," Usabhar looks to each one, highlighting that they have a purpose in front of their paragon, "Tell me your opinions. And do not forget; What upsets people is not the things themselves, but their judgements about the things."

Nasiri smiles gently as Korshim speaks up about another. "Well of course you would be worried about enlisting his help. I'm sure he's got his own problems. In fact I'm surprised he has not tried to eat my lord yet." She makes a quiet chuckle as a off-topic idea comes to her mind.

"Firstly, I'd like to ask what you exactly need in terms of magical trinkets. I might be able to help anyway. Next... You don't mind if I ask something important about the High Lord, do I?"
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-03-22 at 10:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rather than address those assembled directly, the senators mutter silently amongst themselves. A few let out exclamations of dismay or sweeping motions of deference to other speakers and a consensus is clearly made.

Eventually, it is Salin (the previously mad dwarf) who speaks up. "Usabhar Siggurhavok. It would seem that we have all manner of personal opinions in this manner, ranging from those who would eschew even magical weapons for the sake of pure combat to one among us who would gladly accept Rahja's generous offer." With this, Salin nods in recognition to Rahja.

"The only point on which we have reached accord, in fact, is that we have no right to rule against you, whatever our personal feelings may be."

"We rule by Wisdom and Dwarven values. You are wiser still and you are the dwarf they call paragon."

"We rule by our feats and victories on the battlefield. You have won battles beyond measure, joining the forces of Kulomen and spreading your might to other worlds."

"We rule through our position within our clans and through interpretation of our ancestors' will. You are formed from the wills of our ancestors and are the one dwarf of every clan within Sargti."

"We rule through the will of the people and through interpretation of our god's will. You are the dwarf most highly revered by all and have become the voice of our distant god."

"While we ask not that you retire from battle to rule us all, we possess neither reason nor right to oppose you. So long as your soul remains righteous and pure, we of the counsel decree your word to be law."

27. - Top - End - #837

First off, it's not so simple as getting the right items. It's rather an ability to use those items. Using a wand is not as simple as pointing a wand and pressing the button you know. It takes some skill. I'm hoping you have an advanced degree of it, at least one sophisticated enough to... He thinks about Prince Zurkar and his skillful claws. Even he is constantly amazed by the immensity and complexity of the heuristical circuit lattice that makes up his brain. The young dragon has an innate understanding of technomancy the likes of which would make any of Emanacal's most experienced artificers seem irrelevant, and even he isn't entirely sure how to modify Korshim's programming. Suddenly he realizes that having whom is probably a rank amateur, a rank amateur with no hands nontheless, is probably not someone you should trust rummaging through the most delicate component of your body.

He suddenly leans back, looking a little concerned. Actually, no. Scratch what I said. Forget I said anything.

But if you have any inquiries about the High Lord, feel free to ask them, though I may not hold all the information you seek, I was only programmed with so much knowledge, and some of what I say is pure conjecture. I don't even know his name.

28. - Top - End - #838

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar is at a loss for words at this time. The council has stated him as the highest authority in Sargti and given their reasons for him to rightfully be in that role. The facts are there; he is the wisest and the strongest of his kind, formed from the peoples' wills and revered by all. It is his place to rule his kingdom, both in the halls of the senate and on the battlefield. Even now, it comes off as a bit odd to him. Their decision and opinions have been made however and the paragon will respect that.

Usabhar speaks up, firstly to the senate in regards to their decision with respect and glory. "Then that is what it shall be then. I will stay to follow the pure and righteous path that has brought us all to our successes, and my words shall be law. However, I ask the opinions of the rest of the senate when applicable, so that I know that my kind also get a chance to speak their opinion." So long that other dwarves may speak, state opinions and suggestions so that they are not drowned out by the paragon's words, then Usabhar will be satisfied.

Next he looks to Rahja and Celestica, finally going to give them his verdict. "And so for now, I ask that Rahja may help transport some of our troops to the Azer for the time being until the Azer will be self-sufficient against the next attack from the skies. And I also request a simple method of communication that the Azer can send me for when the skies strike, so I may help." He eyes Rahja carefully, as if stating his confidence in his role as the leader of Sargti. "Will this be good for you Rahja? I believe that, until I know Haven better, that Sargti keeps itself from the ideas of magic and it's use, preferring to stick with our culture and traditions for the most part."

Nasiri doesn't state anything in response to Korshim's attempt to explain the use of magical devices to her. It was clear that someone like her is out of the league that Korshim needs for trinkets. She can't find any words to add to it, instead posing a bored and almost embarrassed expression that indicated she didn't want to speak up about it anymore.

So instead she dances in the air happily when Korshim lets her ask about the High Lord. "Well, that's good to hear. I won't try to pry on his personal opinions too much but I would like to ask, why are we not allowed to call him by his real name? Is it an embarrassing name or does he simply prefer a title out of the feeling of supremacy. Oh, or even paranoia! I can bet that some people don't want their names known and spread in case he or she has many opponents. I mean my lord cares not what he is called at all; can't the High Lord be that relaxed as well?"

She pauses, thinks, and then stops flying around and looks at Korshim once more. She states in a carefree way. "Actually, forget the comparison. Usabhar can never relax."

29. - Top - End - #839

The Lord's Law, Commentary version CMXXVII Volume One, Chapter Three Section One Subsection One; Commentary: "As the Supreme Ruler and Head-of-State of the Empire of the Eternal Eclipse, whom shall ever hold the office of High Lord is expected to refuse all attempts to pronounce his name. The High Lord must recognize that even beyond the enigmatic sorcery of the truenamers, names have power. They give those with the power of speech the ability to identify the individual and direct their actions and emotions towards them. In replacing the individual identified with the nebulous and at times dynamic concept of the High Lord, it becomes more difficult for the subject to accurately identify the object of their emotion. This power the High Lord holds over the subject is vital to the mantle of power bestowed upon the High Lord. The subject is expected to direct their emotion towards the office held by the High Lord instead of the High Lord themselves. As such when a subject showers the office of the High Lord with praise, the holder of the office is granted the good will they rightfully deserve. When the subject scorns the High Lord, the holder of the office of High Lord is insulated from such thoughts, and those that would join the subject are lost in confusion, for the object of their united scorn is said to be an object, an office for some individual to hold. In protecting the name of the High Lord, no subject may scorn the office of the High Lord than they can scorn the Empire of the Eternal Eclipse. Such behavior betrays anti-Imperial thoughts, and no High Lord would be so foolish as to allow such a rot to infect Eclipsian society.

In the tireless pursuit of traitors and to ensure the centralization of political and economic power into the hands of the High Lord remains ever growing, it is prudent that the High Lord have their name eliminated from the lexicon of Eclipsian society. For the unworthy subject to speak the name of a High Lord is for the subject to illegally confer onto themselves power over the High Lord. Power they do not and cannot legally have. Such an act is a brazen assumption of superiority of the High Lordship, and the ultimate, highest act of treason against the Empire."

What that was was the official explanation as to why saying the High Lord's name is High Treason. Sorry if that's a bit long, but...well...the Anthology's long like that. And that's only one law. The Lord's Law has 1170 pages, and the Anthology, which is basically commentary on every single law, has 89 volumes, each one roughly 1250 pages long. Considering the High Lord revises it constantly...well...it's not my favorite procedure during maintenance i'll tell you that.

But I digress. What I think he is trying to say is that names have power, and forbidding to speak his name is one of the many ways the High Lord controls his subjects. When they speak his name, they're breaking control, taking from the High Lord his own power and conferring it to themselves.

But I personally don't think this is quite accurate. I've seen him in the face of criminals and traitors. When one speaks even a portion of his name, if you look closely you can see pure and abject hatred and rage strike through him. Nothing like I have ever seen. And I am speaking as an automaton, to whom emotion is only a concept. If it is obvious to me his rage in speaking his name, I can't imagine what it must look like to an organic. Erhm...the point being...I really don't think it's that he doesn't like his name or doesn't like hearing it. He is High Lord. If he wanted to change his name he would have done so, and we would theoretically not have this law. But no records in Eclipsian history suggest a name change ever having taken place. It occurs to me that it wouldn't matter what his name is, something about the act of saying his name is what bothers him immensely. I have no clue what could have triggered this...but it is worth noting that in my 24 years of operation, I have never heard the High Lord speak the name of another.

If you want more information, you may go to the High Lord himself. Though I think if you ask him directly about his name, you will yield another direct quite from The Lord's Law, Commentary. Perhaps...ask about why he never speaks another's name...? Maybe?
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2013-03-24 at 03:29 AM.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

"I will assist with transporting the troops and will give you instruction on what is needed to construct aspect mirrors, which should not be a problem to create for the giants' druids." Rahja mentions the druids very deliberately, as a contradiction of the values the dwarves hold above everything else, but apparently do not do anything against.

"However, this strikes me as nothing but a superficial 'feel good' solution as in the end nothing really changes. Also, I am unsure whether you realize that Haven was supposed to aid those who need aid, which is not your people. But whether you feel responsibility towards the well-being of your allies, they are your allies to support as you see fit and if you do not want Haven to aid them because of the tradition the dwarves follow, that is ultimately your call, as we do not intrude where we are not tolerated. We do not make demands, we make offers." She also lets that last sentence sink in because of how a simple offer was reacted to.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2013-03-25 at 06:13 AM.