New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LII: 525.600 Ponies!

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post

THAT WAS TODAY!?

Oh well, off to iPlayer.
    Yeah, they kinda didn't advertise is so much inadvance this time - even RT only had it in this week recently.

Still, that is what iPlayer/catch-up is for, right?

This comic
    Spoiler
    Show

made me think.

Ark of Covenant (ala Indy) + Weeping Angels = Best Trap Ever. Hell, it's even theme-matched!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-09-01 at 03:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

With September upon us, I await eagerly to see if the pony artists in our ponythread will be making some pirate ponytars for the ponythread ponies.

(pirate ponies)
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

3. - Top - End - #813
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Ark of Covenant (ala Indy) + Weeping Angels = Best Trap Ever. Hell, it's even theme-matched!
    Actually, that method is flawed. The weeping angels would be outright destroyed by the ark's power. If not, than they would be turned to stone because the ark's occupants would see them.
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    With September upon us, I await eagerly to see if the pony artists in our ponythread will be making some pirate ponytars for the ponythread ponies.

(pirate ponies)
    Is September pirate month or something?

Also we haven't talked about headcanon in a little while so have some more of mine.

Pegasi Pride and honor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've covered unicorn nobility and earth pony democracy in the past. Now you might as me what effects did the pegasi military traditions have on their present lifestyle. And my answer is this:

Pegasi Pride and honor. While they don't fight or duel as they did in the olden times Pegasi are still a civilization that considers honor to be an important part of their lives. Most pegasi are very proud and will not stand for an insult to their honor, either by literal insults or implied. Rainbow Dash gives the only example of this seen so far when she refused to allow the bullies to dishonor Fluttershy's name and so raced in her stead. I imagine this sort of thing happens all the time among pegasi, with the competition changing depending on the ponies.

Their Pride comes into play as pegasi seem to be more competitive then other ponies. When the water needed to be raised the pegasi always try to top last years record. Most groups of pegasi want to be looked upon as the best. What's worse is that failing the job would be seen as dishonorable so even though it was risky, rather then calling for help from Cloudsdale they instead risked bodily harm to get the job done themselves.

The last impact the old militaristic ways is the tiny things. We see Rainbow Dash salute and how the Wonderbolts dress in military uniforms and take on military actions like fighting dragons. Rainbow Dash also tends to give out orders like a drill sergeant though that might just be her. However it could be how a leader in pegasi culture is expected to act. (She is the weather manager after all)

In many ways this makes Fluttershy even more of a misfit in pegasi society then just her being a weak flyer. She doesn't care about her honor and isn't very proud at all.

And some more headcanon

Why Rainbow Dash is working in Ponyville.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've seen it proposed that Rainbow Dash is weather manager in Ponyville because her poor grades forced her to take a worse job. I disagree and here is my counter theory. Rainbow Dash actually could get a job wherever she wanted. However she chose Ponyville for several reasons

1. Most importantly it's where Fluttershy decided to live. Not wanting to leave her behind Rainbow Dash decided to join her and move to Ponyville as well.

2. The greater challenge that erratic weather from the Everfree causes.

3. The smaller village means there is less work to do so that gives Rainbow Dash more time to practice her stunts or nap.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2012-09-01 at 04:23 PM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Dwarf in the Playground

(pirate ponies)
    I would definitely like to see me ponytar in a pirate costume
    In the arena of logic I fight UNARMED!!!

Current Avatar by zimmerwald1915
    Former Avatars by the amazing Dirtytabs
    Former avatar 1

Former Avatar 2

6. - Top - End - #816
    Firbolg in the Playground

Another thing, related to a sort of export/ inport system between Canterlot,Cloudsdale,and Ponyville.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to the wonders of geography, each of these cities each offer certent things of value to each-other.

Ponyville is, in general, a haven for young canterlot-born mares and stallions who cannot afford the general high prices that a suite in the capital costs. The large amount of local-run stores is because of the shear amount of young former graduates of Celestia's School running down to ponyville, snagging a cozy decent-sized house, and attempting to make a few bits. Then they find that they like it there, and as they make friends and participate in large-scale musicals, they begin to forget that they planned to leave.

Cloudsdalians come to Ponyville because of the opportunites in keeping the Everfree in check. At the same time, it's more relaxed (rumurs of it's hostility is greatly exaggerated) and offers a larger flat pay then any job any young Pegusi could get in Cloudsdale. Also, it's more relaxed and less traditinal then Cloudsdale, something that is a nice change of pace for ponies who would straff under tight social standers(Dash) or would be seen as simply not fitting in (Flutters).

Canterlot benifits from both labor from Ponyville and outlieing towns (Turnpike is just the most hickish), but also host's many events that focus on Pegusi. Example A would simply be the Wonderbolt Derby, but it is entierly feasable that, because of Canterlot's natural view and plenty of open sky, it houses many of the sport events the Pegusi from Cloudsdale seem to crave. After all, not everything can be housed in that cloudasium.

Cloudsdale requires the two other settlements to sustain itself. First and formost, young Unicorns are needed from Canterlot and Ponyville to work in the main job creator (Rainbow Factory), and the old tradition of pegusi asking earth ponies for food still runs deep, albet now'adays they ask with bits instead of famine.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-09-01 at 04:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

7. - Top - End - #817
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    So... They were Sidereals then?
    Well, no, but it's nice to see that no matter how interesting you think somethin is, it's already been done somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Eh, I think it would depend on the scale of the conflict. Most conflicts in ponythread tend to draw in Boffinspark and Silent Night, for example, and after that things have a tendency to spiral out of control fairly quickly.
    Thats less an explanation and more falling into the same trap, though. Your and pokonic's RP would be different, if the RP happened on screen. Most of it is a spoiler detailing your victory monologue, and misses the interesting bits entirely.

Rats the point though, conflict is generally at the smallest scale. It's like computing, the system can only go as fast as its slowest component? If one side has armies and fleets, and the they side has a single guerilla unit, it's not goin to play out on the army and fleet scale. It can't. It can only go as high as toe lowest maximum between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    Eh, if you're referring to the story, than this behemoth hasn't bern constructed yet. Yes, there will be fleet-level engagements. A simgle group of soldiers can't fight an entire war on their own.
    Well, depends on how okay with terrorism you are, but I meant, here, in thread, for RP stuff. A war story needs an army, and I have been saying that war games require fleets and all. I'm just interested in how much though has been put in to, say, the fact that Elixer, Amish Party and Second Hand are individual ponies, and they cannot RP anymore because everything is full of fleets and networks and systemic constructs - but there are no identified people to man those systems.

Also, the 400 "best soldiers" thing was just be being a jerk. Sorry.

Also, ONE CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY AIRSHIPS.
    Eh, I believe you. You've got your own dimension, carte Blanche, and a constant war zone. I'm just pointing out that for the thread, you may have brought the Wong tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Also, a topic for us all: what was the general thought prossess in your head when you made your OC? I mean, just going though the general list, it gets pretty crazy when it comes to power levels. Just a little thought-game that might be fun.
    Starry Notions a reboot of myself, the terribly overpowered magic user. He's got huge amounts of finesse, very little actual power to speak of, and a relatively unique, I'd terribly outdated, perspective. The last time he saw pony civilization, Luna was still a princess who was upset at her sister. The results of ponythread however, allowed his furthest future self to interact with things as much as his initial newbie self, so half the time he seemed to not be underpowered at all.

Thistle was the result of rewatching Griffon the Brushoff and comparing it to a sitcom.

Universelle Constance (formerly just "Starry"), was a non-expie reboot who had he start as a ... Well? Basically ghostwheel-style experiment.

Solace Stone was created by twisting my own name to find the meanings and ponify it. He spends his time trying to be helpful and supply adventurers from his trading shop on the outskirts. Gets almost no business, because no pony ever goes up towards the everfree, due to all these airships and space cannons and evil wizards and stuff.

Grigori is a griffon doing deep cover reconnaissance and espionage in Athaniar's griffon empire. He may or may not be deceased. That was just because I found the idea interesting and wanted in on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Pure win. xD

I do have a crazy overpowered OC I created from before ponythread. It basically started off life as a D&D experiment after I first discovered the Epic rules and got steadily more powerful and rediculous from there.

Other OCs often just start out as a single vague idea and go on from there.
    Oh? Do tell!

8. - Top - End - #818

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Well, depends on how okay with terrorism you are, but I meant, here, in thread, for RP stuff. A war story needs an army, and I have been saying that war games require fleets and all. I'm just interested in how much though has been put in to, say, the fact that Elixer, Amish Party and Second Hand are individual ponies, and they cannot RP anymore because everything is full of fleets and networks and systemic constructs - but there are no identified people to man those systems.
    1: I am NOT okay with terorism. Any who try such a demonic tactic to reach their gial will meet an untimely death via airship.

2: I'm not very big on RP stuff.

Eh, I believe you. You've got your own dimension, carte Blanche, and a constant war zone. I'm just pointing out that for the thread, you may have brought the Wong tool for the job.
    1: How do you know about my personal airship storage dimension?

2: And what tool SHOULD I have brought to FIGHT WARS? THERE IS NO BETTER WAR MACHINE THAN AN AIRSHIP.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Edit: I should probably also add questions on how to handle Siuis to this
    I have thoughts on this topic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Be flexible and explain what you think clearly. As I've hinted at several times, SiuiS has varying levels of coherency. Sometimes this is great and his writing comes off really profound. Other times, he's just thinking about something weirdly and has no conception of how it's not going to work at all. Take a look at the Gathering of Mists OOC thread for an instance of the latter.

Edit: Link added in spoiler, note SiuiS's own thoughts below.
    XCom AotrsCom:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I will not go into exhaustive detail, as there are enough ponies on the attempt.

But, in brief, Hopereaver and I... acquired command of the XCom facility. I immediatly set them to work on creating coldbeams, and brought in a number of Aotrs scientists and a few claw-picked troopers.

I then brainwashed the remaining soldiers -

Um, I don't think hitting them in the head with your rocket launcher until they can't form coherent thoughts is really brainwashing, cheif...

- I then brainwashed the remaining soldiers, and assigned them new designations - Peons One through Ten, and prepared a strike force. Our interceptors shot down a UFO in Scotland, not vastly far from our base, and I personally lead the strike team, consisting of myself (with the rocket launcher, because that's mine, fraggers!), Hopereaver (with two pistols), Klastat (captain of one of our platoons), the Star-Sergeant, and troopers Darkflay, Soulreaver, Gloomwrack and Nighthaunt, and Peons One and Two for... scouting. The Peons, of course, needed no armament; their job was simply to locate the enemy. Why waste money on automated robots, when cheap labour is available? After all, if they die, it's not like we need to pay their maintenance, is it?

Peon One did his job locating our first victim, by being shot in the head in an upstairs room. He served his purpose well. Klatstat finished that one off. We encountered some more aliens, and Soulreaver was foolish enough to get shot while we eliminated them. I dealt with one (kaboom! Ahahahahaha!), as did Hopereaver and Nighthaunt; the latter as the last idiot charged out of the door of the spacecraft into our waiting guns. Soulreaver at least had the sense to finish off his attacker, before the imbecile burned apart... I must ensure we have both medikits - for our living members - well, mostly Derpy - and some anti-bone-burn supplies shortly, so as to avoid a repeat of Soulreaver's stupidity. Almost amazingly, Peon Two survived the mission! Oh well, there's always next time... I have promoted myself and Hopereaver to sergeant - in the XCom ranking system, of course; I wouldn't care, but for the extra... priviledges that allows. I also promoted Nighthaunt - she did a good job. Klastat will have to make do with being a squaddie, which will inevitably lead to Hilarity as he is out-ranked by his junior...! All fun and games... Until some idiot slow-burns to deanimation...
    I'm not sure how many times you attempted this, or if you're embellishing a bit, but actually getting the promotions for yourself and Hopereaver is really lucky. This was awesome and I look forward to reading more. Also, I recommend you research the blaster launcher when you get a chance. You'll enjoy it.
    This comic
    Spoiler
    Show

made me think.

Derpy'a eye condition makes her immune, doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    And some more headcanon

Why Rainbow Dash is working in Ponyville.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've seen it proposed that Rainbow Dash is weather manager in Ponyville because her poor grades forced her to take a worse job. I disagree and here is my counter theory. Rainbow Dash actually could get a job wherever she wanted. However she chose Ponyville for several reasons

1. Most importantly it's where Fluttershy decided to live. Not wanting to leave her behind Rainbow Dash decided to join her and move to Ponyville as well.

2. The greater challenge that erratic weather from the Everfree causes.

3. The smaller village means there is less work to do so that gives Rainbow Dash more time to practice her stunts or nap.

What do you guys think?
    not sure why this needs to be spoiled. Anyway, I only agree with your third reason. While I think that Dash may well have a close friendship or more with Fluttershy, I don't think that was on top of her mind when picking living arrangement. I also don't think anyone thinks of Ponyville as a challenge assignment even though it actually is. I do think Dash wanted to work somewhere that gave her plenty of nap time and practice time.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-09-01 at 07:29 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

10. - Top - End - #820
    Titan in the Playground

2: And what tool SHOULD I have brought to FIGHT WARS? THERE IS NO BETTER WAR MACHINE THAN AN AIRSHIP.
    And cue Bleakbane rant any moment now.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Is September pirate month or something?
    September 19th is Talk Like a Pirate Day
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

12. - Top - End - #822
    Barbarian in the Playground

This persona of myself was created for giantitp, however the real being which D_Lord is merely a part of have been around for a lot longer.
    About 17 years in earth time to be more truthful, D_Lord was made to be a a front and personaly of a crazying powerful being from the start.

I fought you all!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    *Hugs for breaking the awkardness!YAAY!
    ...Realizes he's hugging a physical manifestation of evil...*
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    He's adorable, but he's a threat to all who call the universe home. He must be stopped, no matter the cost
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Drake View Post
    "Evil, evil, death, stab, kill, cheese, moon-stuff, mice, evil, evil mice..."

Musings Pulled from D_Lord's head.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Orc in the Playground

Aye, me mateys! September tis the month o' the pirate. Every day is fer sailin' n' plunderin' n' drinkin' rum! You'd have to be bloody mad to not be pirate durin' THE OFFICIAL UNOFFICIAL PIRATE MONTH!

Eeyargh. That is all.
    Last edited by Colonel Fedora; 2012-09-01 at 06:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Every time someone presses the quote button on one of my posts I steal a very small part of their soul.

I have a Tumblr now. So that's cool.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yep! Here ya go!
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry about the dark, it's past 10PM where I am.
    Dude...that is AWESOME! it kinda could use upgrades (and seems kinda made for them), yet is awesome itself, thanks!

Also, a topic for us all: what was the general thought prossess in your head when you made your OC? I mean, just going though the general list, it gets pretty crazy when it comes to power levels. Just a little thought-game that might be fun.
    I just made my OC, do I have to answer too?

And what tool SHOULD I have brought to FIGHT WARS? THERE IS NO BETTER WAR MACHINE THAN AN AIRSHIP.
    ...Do fighters count as airships?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Aye, me mateys! September tis the month o' the pirate. Every day is fer sailin' n' plunderin' n' drinkin' rum! You'd have to be bloody mad to not be pirate durin' THE OFFICIAL UNOFFICIAL PIRATE MONTH!

Eeyargh. That is all.
    Hey I'm born in september and I don't like pirates!
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-09-01 at 06:51 PM.
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #825
    Banned

1: I am NOT okay with terorism. Any who try such a demonic tactic to reach their gial will meet an untimely death via airship.
    Ah. So you're against American upheaval against the British then? Because the colonials didn't stand a chance without terribly unfair, asymmetric warfare.

2: I'm not very big on RP stuff.
    ... Then, why do you keep RPing? :?
    (is it just me or does the emote come off rather condescending?)

1: How do you know about my personal airship storage dimension?
    Oh, I guess not every time. Hm.
    And I didn't until now. I meant that your universe is not canon ponyverse.

I'm a better war machine than an airship. I'm a better war machine than a fleet. I'm also, oddly, less likely to be distracted than a standing army. Bleakbane and Lixie are troublesome because once the engagement starts, it won't end. Millennia of constant strife fill me with anxiety, so I'd rather be chummy with them. But that's the onl problem With engaging an entire galactic power; you don't get to high level magic user by being selfless. I want to do stuff with my time other than flee for my life and launch counter offensives.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I have thoughts on this topic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Be flexible and explain what you think clearly. As I've hinted at several times, SiuiS has varying levels of coherency. Sometimes this is great and his writing comes off really profound. Other times, he's just thinking about something weirdly and has no conception of how it's not going to work at all. Take a look at the Gathering of Mists OOC thread for an instance of the latter (I'll edit this with a link when I'm not on my phone. Check back in an hour.
    To be fair, te current snafu is me having a head trip. Thanqol has goaded me into my old D&D mode, which just does. Not. Work. With. Charlotte at all. It's created a huge amount I artificial stress; I'll spend a day freaking out about possibilities hinging on nodes, what resources I have, what intel, whether asking for more intel will bite Into my time, which actions has the most sequential ramifications, and what Charlotte woul accept without it breaking her character. This all mets away when I post, thank all, but it makes it damn hard to hit that reply button in the first place.

I have decided to only have one character who challenges my core beliefs and assumptions at a time I'm pretty sure my next few characters will be more straightforward.

Seriously though, I've been losing sleep over that. It's affectin my clarity, to use the parlance.

16. - Top - End - #826

September 18th is when AirshipBorderlands 2 comes out!

17. - Top - End - #827

Ah. So you're against American upheaval against the British then? Because the colonials didn't stand a chance without terribly unfair, asymmetric warfare.

... Then, why do you keep RPing? :?
    (is it just me or does the emote come off rather condescending?)

Oh, I guess not every time. Hm.
    And I didn't until now. I meant that your universe is not canon ponyverse.

I'm a better war machine than an airship. I'm a better war machine than a fleet. I'm also, oddly, less likely to be distracted than a standing army. Bleakbane and Lixie are troublesome because once the engagement starts, it won't end. Millennia of constant strife fill me with anxiety, so I'd rather be chummy with them. But that's the onl problem With engaging an entire galactic power; you don't get to high level magic user by being selfless. I want to do stuff with my time other than flee for my life and launch counter offensives.
    1: I'm Russian born but live in the U.S.A. I don't care much for the revolution. :/

2: I am?

3: Oh, dammit. Well, my universe is canon in my universe, & I guess now you know that I have a separate dimension where I store my armada.

4: I beg to differ, good Siuis. I beg to differ.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground

Bleakbane and Lixie are troublesome because once the engagement starts, it won't end. Millennia of constant strife fill me with anxiety, so I'd rather be chummy with them.
    (POUTS)
    So THAT'S why, is it?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

What? Why would you think that?

A Frigate is a mid-sized escort. There are lots of ships smaller than that...
    Well perhaps not "quaint" as a word choice, but I'm simply put the opposite of impressed.

I think probably because I have actual concept of the scales involved and know that the majority of warships are actually quite small. Big E and the the somewhat shorter but more massive Nimitz classes are already somewhere twice as long and four times the size of Arleigh Burkes. Frigates are smaller then that along with the deadliest of ship killers the various attack subs. And while certain dimensions can be similar so call "super"carriers are themselves the skinny kids next to the monsters of volume that are container ships and some of the more horrendous cruise ships.

As far as warships go there is essentially nothing to be gained from volume unless it has to be there. Volume is for cargo.

Its just not impressive to me, it implies an inablity to make what you want smaller. And if I've read it right your current balance of weapons against countermeasures suggests the sort of open shooting range that makes fighter craft far less important. Which means the only thing you need a cargo vessel for is nullified, hence the only virtue to volume... so to me well it just sort of implies a very bulky technology. That speaks of an almost backwards advancement to me.

Especially when I think of all requirements ships start to entail. While there are certain creature comforts that would be nice for scaling up from Arleigh Burke level, not to the level involved you've implied.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Banned

1: I'm Russian born but live in the U.S.A. I don't care much for the revolution. :/
    That's actually the kind of answer I was hoping for. Cool.
    But yeah, the difference between guerilla warfare as terrorism is mostly PR.

2: I am?
    It seemed that way.

3: Oh, dammit. Well, my universe is canon in my universe, & I guess now you know that I have a separate dimension where I store my armada.
    That's intriguing.

4: I beg to differ, good Siuis. I beg to differ.
    Please do. People thinking in bluffing works to my advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    (POUTS)
    So THAT'S why, is it?
    Nope. Not fighting you and bein your friend are totally different. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Well perhaps not "quaint" as a word choice, but I'm simply put the opposite of impressed.

I think probably because I have actual concept of the scales involved and know that the majority of warships are actually quite small. Big E and the the somewhat shorter but more massive Nimitz classes are already somewhere twice as long and four times the size of Arleigh Burkes. Frigates are smaller then that along with the deadliest of ship killers the various attack subs. And while certain dimensions can be similar so call "super"carriers are themselves the skinny kids next to the monsters of volume that are container ships and some of the more horrendous cruise ships.

As far as warships go there is essentially nothing to be gained from volume unless it has to be there. Volume is for cargo.

Its just not impressive to me, it implies an inablity to make what you want smaller. And if I've read it right your current balance of weapons against countermeasures suggests the sort of open shooting range that makes fighter craft far less important. Which means the only thing you need a cargo vessel for is nullified, hence the only virtue to volume... so to me well it just sort of implies a very bulky technology. That speaks of an almost backwards advancement to me.

Especially when I think of all requirements ships start to entail. While there are certain creature comforts that would be nice for scaling up from Arleigh Burke level, not to the level involved you've implied.
    The ships involved have very little need for supplies other than whatever ammo they carry, actually. So most of the cargo space is filled with wizards. The more wizards, the more raw resources available. Remember, going over the intercom and telling everyone to make their reserves available for use is a thing. Suddenly, Bleakbane, who only comfortably uses spells at the 30th level, can hurl around effects of planetary magnitude. Multiple times. With almost not attrition on his end.

And after everything is a smokin waste, he still has his ships and crew.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

Apparently, Pound Puppies is doing an episode that is essentially a pony and brony shout out in all but name.

It's created a huge amount I artificial stress; I'll spend a day freaking out about possibilities hinging on nodes, what resources I have, what intel, whether asking for more intel will bite Into my time, which actions has the most sequential ramifications, and what Charlotte woul accept without it breaking her character. This all mets away when I post, thank all, but it makes it damn hard to hit that reply button in the first place.

I have decided to only have one character who challenges my core beliefs and assumptions at a time I'm pretty sure my next few characters will be more straightforward.

Seriously though, I've been losing sleep over that. It's affectin my clarity, to use the parlance.
    This makes me worry for you, but feel optimistic about your games with BlasTech.

Also, I kinda don't get this. I understand thinking about your character and considering what and how you're going to say something before posting. But hours and hours or losing sleep to prepare a post I don't really understand. To give you a comparison, my composition time for Tessen's average post varies between 5-7 minutes (for the quick one-liners) to maybe half and hour at most for her longer thoughts. I tend to think about the game more than that, but time from reading something new to considering and writing a response for me is usually under 30 minutes.

Considering that several people have expressed the same view as you SiuiS, I'm apparently in the minority here, but I'm also honestly confused why it takes as much time as it seems to take.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-09-01 at 07:39 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

22. - Top - End - #832
    Titan in the Playground

Nope. Not fighting you and bein your friend are totally different. ;P
    Nicely escaped.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

The ships involved have very little need for supplies other than whatever ammo they carry, actually. So most of the cargo space is filled with wizards. The more wizards, the more raw resources available. Remember, going over the intercom and telling everyone to make their reserves available for use is a thing. Suddenly, Bleakbane, who only comfortably uses spells at the 30th level, can hurl around effects of planetary magnitude. Multiple times. With almost not attrition on his end.

And after everything is a smokin waste, he still has his ships and crew.
    If you need some 20,000+ wizards to do the job then your wizards aren't worth much in my book. So kinda the same complaint. Fake impressiveness, it just says to you you went bigger instead of better. People as a rule actually require very little space even while avoiding such joke inspiring practices as hot bunking.

(And if anything 20,000 is perhaps low to be filling that volume)
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2012-09-01 at 07:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

THAT WAS TODAY!?

Oh well, off to iPlayer.
    its on BBC America right now
    damn brits get it a little earlier...like they created it or something....
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

25. - Top - End - #835
    Banned

This makes me worry for you, but feel optimistic about your games with BlasTech.

Also, I kinda don't get this. I understand thinking about your character and considering what and how you're going to say something before posting. But hours and hours or losing sleep to prepare a post I don't really understand. To give you a comparison, my composition time for Tessen's average post varies between 5-7 minutes (for the quick one-liners) to maybe half and hour at most for her longer thoughts. I tend to think about the game more than that, but time from reading something new to considering and writing a response for me is usually under 30 minutes.

Considering that several people have expressed the same view as you SiuiS, I'm apparently in the minority here, but I'm also honestly confused why it takes as much time as it seems to take.
    You're right. I start posting and its a dream! Even with the SNAFU that killed my post while loading the submit button stuff this morning. I suppose I'm over thinking it. The fact that actually posting takes me ten minutes with typo orrection means I'm over thinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    If you need some 20,000+ wizards to do the job then your wizards aren't worth much in my book. So kinda the same complaint. Fake impressiveness, it just says to you you went bigger instead of better. People as a rule actually require very little space even while avoiding such joke inspiring practices as hot bunking.

(And if anything 20,000 is perhaps low to be filling that volume)
    the AOTRS doesn't wiz like we are used to. Look at Bleakbane himself; a self-styled epic necromancer, but almost no use of epic spell casting. He does what every soldier does; stick to his competences and not puh hisi limits. He might be capable of spell effects in the 40s as far as magnitude, but he doesn't, because that's gettin risky.

Same thing. Every one I his troops could have a high maximum output, but the collateral burnout is deemed unreasonable. For every AOTRS servicecritter that uses first or second level effects, there are probably several fifth level spells unattempted. Twir army is utterly consistent in output. That's why they are so good; logistically impervious to casual disruption.

26. - Top - End - #836

Please do. People thinking in bluffing works to my advantage.
    Let's run down your list of traits:

Spoiler
    Show

You don't have your entire body covered in 6 inches of regerative armor plating.

You don't have 2 OFCs welded to you.

You don't have 4 forward mounted lightning guns.

You don't have a cargo bay loaded to the brim with glass bombs that hold a gas powerful enough to strip flesh from bone within 20 seconds.

You don't have rockets that use soda as a propulsion system (Pinkie designed those. They're surprisingly effective).

You don't have a magical shield covering your body.

You don't have 400 engineers running around inside of you making sure you're working at 210% efficiency.

You don't use the Elements of Harmony as a power source.

You don't have over 5,000 buddies ready to back you up with one phone call.

So let me ask you this. How do you think ponies thinking that you're lying help you out?

27. - Top - End - #837
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

You don't have your entire body covered in 6 inches of regerative armor plating.

You don't have a cargo bay loaded to the brim with glass bombs that hold a gas powerful enough to strip flesh from bone within 20 seconds.

You don't have rockets that use soda as a propulsion system (Pinkie designed those. They're surprisingly effective).

You don't have 400 engineers running around inside of you making sure you're working at 210% efficiency.

So let me ask you this. How do you think ponies thinking that you're lying help you out?
    ....Squeak. Squeak Squeak Squeak.*
    *What did you do to yourself? I thought you just had that metal lump on your stumpy excuse for a wing and- my goodness, you have tiny ponies running around inside you?! What have you done! I...I have no words.

But the idea of body armor does sound promising. Perhapes, when I am unleashed from this rodent, you will be spared. However, your armor will be fused to your flesh, to help you keep it when the hoards of zombies that used to be your co-workers attempt to rip you apart.

..what? I have had a lot of time to think about the other ponies here, and I have decided to do something when I am released.

Spoiler
    Show

I mean, look at me! What else would I do, chew holes in walls or entertain my child?
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-09-01 at 08:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground

not sure why this needs to be spoiled. Anyway, I only agree with your third reason. While I think that Dash may well have a close friendship or more with Fluttershy, I don't think that was on top of her mind when picking living arrangement. I also don't think anyone thinks of Ponyville as a challenge assignment even though it actually is. I do think Dash wanted to work somewhere that gave her plenty of nap time and practice time.
    I don't know why I spoiled it. I think I just felt like it.

And I wouldn't underestimate how big of a factor your friend living in the same location can be when choosing a home. Even in my life I've seen friends move into sub-optimal housing just so they will be neighbors with their friend.

Spoiler
    Show

It depends on what magic system he's using but knowing SiuS fondness for nWoD he could be on that. And that means he can do some very insane things like cursing your ship with bad luck so that the bombs malfunction and explode while hanging out in another dimension that technically doesn't exist.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

He also doesn't have an off-switch.

....Squeak. Squeak Squeak Squeak.*

Do I look like I speak Mouse?
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-09-01 at 08:40 PM.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

the AOTRS doesn't wiz like we are used to. Look at Bleakbane himself; a self-styled epic necromancer, but almost no use of epic spell casting. He does what every soldier does; stick to his competences and not puh hisi limits. He might be capable of spell effects in the 40s as far as magnitude, but he doesn't, because that's gettin risky.

Same thing. Every one I his troops could have a high maximum output, but the collateral burnout is deemed unreasonable. For every AOTRS servicecritter that uses first or second level effects, there are probably several fifth level spells unattempted. Twir army is utterly consistent in output. That's why they are so good; logistically impervious to casual disruption.
    Well now we are drifting topics a bit.

And from a professional standpoint... if your system of magic has "levels" you're doin' it wrong and I'm laughing at you. Professionally and politely of course.

(Worst are those poor psuedo-Vancians especially those that delude themselves as "optimized" when I crush their flimsy rule oriented concepts and simply refuse to play by their overly narrow playbook. My word do some of them need a lesson in metaphysical principles. I think they actually believe that because some book says something it has to be so if you just make some basic actions like writing on a sheet. Terrible deluded fools.)