New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery IX: the thread levels up again!

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    It's because of the joke where Belkar says "first, that happened in Dragon, so I'm not even sure it's canon."

Since the cooking skill referred to has been reinforced in canon as true, I suspect we're OK as far as character abilities.
    No, It's because Rich has explicitly stated that SSaDT is it's own "dragon canon" which now also includes the Gyagax Magazine strips.

I'm willing to accept that have a SOMEWHAT similar build, but I'm not willing to accept that they're the same level or have the exact same abilities until it's confirmed in the main comic. For example, are we going to say that Elan wears a chain shirt because he's still wearing one in SSaDT? What about ruling out abilities based on those strips. I think the implication of counting stuff gained from the Dragon canon on this thread without confirmation in the main comic is more problematic that a lot of people here would like to admit.
    Last edited by Procyonpi; 2013-03-15 at 05:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    No, It's because Rich has explicitly stated that SSaDT is it's own "dragon canon" which now also includes the Gyagax Magazine strips.
    Link?
    I'm willing to accept that they're the same level or have the exact same abilities until it's confirmed in the main comic.
    Is there a missing "not" there?

3. - Top - End - #843

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Link?
    Here you go:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Huh, I didn't know they had announced this.

Yes, OOTS will be in the new magazine. The first strip was completed over the summer, but the subsequent strips haven't been done yet (so there might not be one in issue #2, depending on the deadline).

The comics will pick up the "Dragon Continuity" for OOTS, which started with Dragon Magazine then continued through the "Invaders From the Fourth Edition" story in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales. So, expect loosely-linked stand-alone strips with an emphasis on jokes over plot.

I'll probably make a more official announcement next week.

Is there a missing "not" there?
    Not quite, I've edited my original post to better effect what I meant.

4. - Top - End - #844

I...don't see how that says they have different stats in the magazine strips (except, of course, insofar as Rich doesn't really care about continuity, and any two strips may contradict each other at any time). Certainly we should take the Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales strips as indicating that Elan wore a chain shirt in the Dungeon of Dorukan, if we didn't already know that.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I don't think the continuity makes any sense unless you assume that the Dragon events happened before the party left Redmountain hills. Even putting it in the dungeon makes little sense.

I think that using the magazine as the basis for general build notes, like feats or equipment, is fine - but if you tried to estimate level that way, you'd be doomed.

6. - Top - End - #846

DwarfFighterGuy

I...don't see how that says they have different stats in the magazine strips (except, of course, insofar as Rich doesn't really care about continuity, and any two strips may contradict each other at any time). Certainly we should take the Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales strips as indicating that Elan wore a chain shirt in the Dungeon of Dorukan, if we didn't already know that.
    But that's the thing, the Dungeon is SSaDT wasn't the Dungeon of Dorukan, it was "Unnamed dungeon containing The Dragon." And we don't know where the fight in invaders from the fourth edition was. Considering that Rich has explicitly stated it's a different canon, I see no reason why we should try to shoehorn it into a timeframe in the main canon.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I think strips from the Dragon continuity should be provisionally accepted for:
    A) build elements (ability scores, skills, feats, spells, and such)
    B) the properties of items that are shown but not explained in the main continuity
    C) minimum level

It should not be used for:
    A) maximum level
    B) items not shown in the main continuity

Basically, they're the same characters with the same builds, and items they've had for a long time are practically part of the build and are likely identical in both, but miscellaneous equipment can change at random without notice and level could vary, though I'd expect explicit notice if level strays outside the range the main continuity has had.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #848

DwarfFighterGuy

I think there's some room for a compromise here. How about we use douglas's idea, with two exceptions:
    1. I don't think we should use the dragon continuity as a maximum for anything that can go up (this means levels, skills, or ability scores), since the Order is clearly at an earlier point in their progression than in the current main strip.
    2. We mark things that have only appeared in the Dragon continuity in a different color (say, green) until such a time as they are either confirmed in the main comic (in which case they become black) or contradicted (in which case they are removed).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Procyonpi; 2013-03-15 at 07:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

It may be a different continuity, but they're still the same characters, and we have direct in-comic evidence that skills from the Snips continuity do apply in the main plotline. No, it doesn't fit anywhere in the timeline, but this thread doesn't deal with the timeline - there's another thread for that.

There isn't all that much geekery material in the Dragon comics, but for the sake of completeness I do think we should include it in some form. I agree that this cannot be used for calculations of level, of course. Note that everything from Snips is already clearly marked as such.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

10. - Top - End - #850

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    It may be a different continuity, but they're still the same characters, and we have direct in-comic evidence that skills from the Snips continuity do apply in the main plotline. No, it doesn't fit anywhere in the timeline, but this thread doesn't deal with the timeline - there's another thread for that.
    But they're not, completely. Elan wears a chain shirt and is probably only a bard, as as best as we can tell, the Julio Scoundrel arch never happened in this continuity. I'd find putting Belkar's max strength at 17 instead of 18 based on the dragon continuity highly dubious. We only have evidence that ONE PARTICULAR skill from SSaDT applies to the main continuity, in a situation where the plot and rule of funny demanded it.
    Last edited by Procyonpi; 2013-03-15 at 07:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #851

If Belkar gets his KS pseudonym listed, shouldn't Haley (minor OtOoPC spoiler)

Spoiler
    Show
    have "Mistress Nightingale" and "The Red Blur" listed from her wanted poster on page 58?

12. - Top - End - #852
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think there's some room for a compromise here. How about we use douglas's idea, with two exceptions:
    1. I don't think we should use the dragon continuity as a maximum for anything that can go up (this means levels, skills, or ability scores), since the Order is clearly at an earlier point in their progression than in the current main strip.
    2. We mark things that have only appeared in the Dragon continuity in a different color (say, green) until such a time as they are either confirmed in the main comic (in which case they become black) or contradicted (in which case they are removed).

Thoughts?
    This is my vote. We may also want to note that something removed which was previously listed in green should be retained in spoilers in another color, to prevent people from saying "but wait, what about [page from SSaDT]" without realizing that it has already been overridden in the main comic. Then again, we don't do that for overridden abilities from old comics, so maybe my extra rule isn't needed. Regardless, I agree with ya

13. - Top - End - #853
    Troll in the Playground

I agree with douglas and Procyonpi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ettin in the Playground

On the main page, it notes that Belkar must have Two-Weapon Pounce. So he needs 15+ Dex as that is a requirement for the feat.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    On the main page, it notes that Belkar must have Two-Weapon Pounce. So he needs 15+ Dex as that is a requirement for the feat.
    A Ranger with the two-weapon fighting style can select Two-Weapon Pounce as a feat without having to meet the normal prerequisites. He only has to have a BAB of +6.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

On the Snip, Snails topic, Doesn't 4e Roy mention warblade? Is that enough for Tome of Battle to be listed as sourcebook or has it to appear on the official comic continuity?

17. - Top - End - #857
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Would Roy need Knowledge (Geography) (or whichever other type would be most appropriate. Such as if Knowledge [Navigation] or Knowledge [Sailing] is a thing) to know how to use the sextant? Or would this be covered under common knowledge in a-based D&D world?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

18. - Top - End - #858
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Considering Belkar had no idea what a sextant was, It can't be common knowledge.

19. - Top - End - #859

Quote Originally Posted by mawexzon View Post
    Considering Belkar had no idea what a sextant was, It can't be common knowledge.
    Unless he knew, but intentionally pretended not to know specifically to annoy Roy while pretending to be helpful.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Unless he knew, but intentionally pretended not to know specifically to annoy Roy while pretending to be helpful.
    He's Belkar, Unless sextants became cooking implement he knows nothing of them.
    Last edited by mawexzon; 2013-03-16 at 03:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #861

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mawexzon View Post
    I don't know that Belkar can be used for any degree of what's considered common knowledge. Certainly no one else expressed confusion about a sextant, and for Belkar "some people may deserve to live even if they annoy me, are slightly in my path, or serve no immediate purpose" isn't common knowledge.

Heck, *tracking* isn't common knowledge for him, and he's a Ranger, for crying out loud.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

22. - Top - End - #862

Agreed.

For Belkar's strength, what we have evidence for is he didn't have an 18 strength back in the day.

Do we have any clue how far "back in the day" is? I'm under the impression it's pretty far back.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    Heck, *tracking* isn't common knowledge for him, and he's a Ranger, for crying out loud.
    No, he knows -of- tracking, he's knows it exists and he's supposed to be good at it, but he doesn't really care that he isn't.
    Last edited by Dark Matter; 2013-03-16 at 08:24 PM.

23. - Top - End - #863

Haley doesn't seem to have anything listed about Wisdom in the first post. I'm guessing that's an oversight?
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

24. - Top - End - #864
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Would Roy need Knowledge (Geography) (or whichever other type would be most appropriate. Such as if Knowledge [Navigation] or Knowledge [Sailing] is a thing) to know how to use the sextant? Or would this be covered under common knowledge in a-based D&D world?
    No. The sextant was probably a masterwork tool that applied a +2 bonus to whatever checks Roy made to find Shojo's coordinates for Girard's Gate. I think he made, with the aid of the sextant, a series of DC 15 Survival checks to navigate to the coordinates, but since Survival can be used untrained, that doesn't really say anything about Roy's stats.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2013-03-16 at 09:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #865

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    No. The sextant was probably a masterwork tool that applied a +2 bonus to whatever checks Roy made to find Shojo's coordinates for Girard's Gate. I think he made, with the aid of the sextant, a series of DC 15 Survival checks to navigate to the coordinates, but since Survival can be used untrained, that doesn't really say anything about Roy's stats.
    Belkar (no survival) doesn't know what a sextant is.
    Roy knew enough to go looking for one, and one assumes he knew enough to use it.

26. - Top - End - #866

I don't quite understand why this is not a common-sense thing. Do you know how to use a sextant? Because I don't. Do you not know how to use a sextant but you're confident you could immediately figure it out upon picking it up? That's definitely not the case for me.

(And yes, I saw that the question about whether Roy being able to use it can be assumed in a D&D setting, but, it's clearly trained, and not universally like "how to thwack someone with a quarterstaff" either. Would you really expect every character in every fantasy novel you've ever read to know how to use a sextant? Including the ones who've never seen the sea and the ones [barbarians] who didn't learn how to read?)

(All the "you"s in this post are addressed to Occupant.)

27. - Top - End - #867

I don't quite understand why this is not a common-sense thing. Do you know how to use a sextant? Because I don't. Do you not know how to use a sextant but you're confident you could immediately figure it out upon picking it up? That's definitely not the case for me.

(And yes, I saw that the question about whether Roy being able to use it can be assumed in a D&D setting, but, it's clearly trained, and not universally like "how to thwack someone with a quarterstaff" either. Would you really expect every character in every fantasy novel you've ever read to know how to use a sextant? Including the ones who've never seen the sea and the ones [barbarians] who didn't learn how to read?)

(All the "you"s in this post are addressed to Occupant.)
    Emphasis added, I think this is a typo.

28. - Top - End - #868

Not a typo. Let me rephrase that part.

I do not understand why the question, "Would Roy knowing how to use a sextant indicate points in some manner of knowledge skill?" would get any debate rather than just, "Yes, absolutely, unambiguously, obviously yes." If it doesn't--then good.
    Last edited by Kish; 2013-03-17 at 12:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #869

Moving back to Belkar's strength... we've got a problem.
    In Snips, he doesn't have an 18 (max 17). We're not going to use that because it may have gone up.

But our proof for him not having an 19 (max 18) is here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html

That was a *long* time ago.

30. - Top - End - #870

Not a typo. Let me rephrase that part.

I do not understand why the question, "Would Roy knowing how to use a sextant indicate points in some manner of knowledge skill?" would get any debate rather than just, "Yes, absolutely, unambiguously, obviously yes." If it doesn't--then good.
    I see. In that case, I agree with you. I think he could easily have heard what it was from Hinjo, but knowing how to use it would probably require at least 1 skill rank of training. At least, if the DM were making logical rulings.

Moving back to Belkar's strength... we've got a problem.
    In Snips, he doesn't have an 18 (max 17). We're not going to use that because it may have gone up.

But our proof for him not having an 19 (max 18) is here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html

That was a *long* time ago.
    That's sort of an issue which applies anytime we set a maximum based on a strip which took place at least 1 in-comic day ago. Unless we are certain their level has not gone up since we gained evidence about some maximum, we can't really set any upper bounds.