New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery IX: the thread levels up again!

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    By the way, we need to note that Z has Planar Binding on his spell list (Definitely not summoning as we have seen summoned monsters.)
    Why can't it be summoning?

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Why can't it be summoning?
    Well, the circle seems to be what Sarda's basing it on. Different visual effect, basically. Summons seem to just pop in, while creatures called (not summoned) by Planar Ally (which we know Durkon is using) appear to visualize with the circle. Planar Binding, which is also a calling and not summoning spell, might visualize similarly.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2013-04-11 at 12:30 AM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    The difference is more than S/Z. "Sied" versus "Sized".

And no, "magic aura" colors vary from caster to caster and rarely mean something. Can infer from Durkon's white to red that something about his spellcasting changed, but not from Durkon's red to Malack's black.

Oops
    But I do recall all of the Azurite Clerics using blue. Even Tsukiko. Are there any deities who have been shown to have more than one colour? not that it really proves anything but it could be important i dunno
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Oops
    But I do recall all of the Azurite Clerics using blue. Even Tsukiko. Are there any deities who have been shown to have more than one colour? not that it really proves anything but it could be important i dunno
    I seem to remember the Giant saying something about the color of clerics' auras normally (though not always, IIRC) being associated with which god they worshipped. I think it was in one of the books, which I don't have in my dorm with me, not online.

Does anyone else remember this quote, or am I just making it up?
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Ask and ye shall receive:

Every spellcaster has their own color; it is not based on their alignment or type of magic or anything. It is mostly a matter of choice or personality, though most clerics tend to clump into the same general color if they worship the same gods because they tend to choose the same colors and/or have similar personalities.

Elan has a similar color to the Azurite priests because it's not as if everyone in the North sits around going, "Gosh, we can't pick blue, because those people on another continent all picked blue!" Tsukiko uses the same color for her divine magic as the Azurite priests because they both worship the Twelve Gods, who are worshipped as a pantheon by all alignments in Azure City.

And as far as the girl in #730, I promise that whether she is using mind energy or fire does not affect the story in the slightest, and therefore it doesn't matter whether or not you can tell what it is.
    Last edited by thatSeniorGuy; 2013-04-11 at 01:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thatSeniorGuy View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive:
    I wonder if we should extend that to the purple-ness of the psionic examples we've seen, to make more room for the non-purply MitD possibly being psionic.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe we'll see the Atonement spell brought into play?

But Vampires do retain their spells, and Durkon did have Planar Ally prepared. So he has whatever magical energy he had left before dying.

How he gets his next batch of spells the next comic day, i.e., who he prays to, may be the greater question.

By the way, here is what the Giant has to say about the issue:
    Is the Giant implying that Durkon is a non-theistic cleric here? If so, case closed, he's LE.

Yeah, the rules I quoted are PHBII. Is there any precedent for this rulebook in the comic? I didn't think of that. If PHBII is in use, pretty sure it's an open and shut case for LE as well.

I imagine most of us here personally accept that Durkon is LE, though maybe I'm wrong, but it is now a matter of proving it to the standards acceptable to the thread.
    Last edited by SowZ; 2013-04-11 at 02:53 AM.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Troll in the Playground

Silly American. Not everyone spells like you. I suppose you think its 'mommy' too

This is what I'm referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford English Dictionary
    prophesy, v.

Pronunciation: Brit. /ˈprɒfɪsʌɪ/ , U.S. /ˈprɑfəˌsaɪ/

1. intr.

a. To speak or write by, or as by, divine inspiration, or in the name of God or a god; to speak or act as a prophet.
    b. To foretell or predict future events; to make a prediction or prophecy (of).

2. trans.
    a. To predict or foretell, originally as an expression of the will or intent of God or a god. Also more generally: to utter or announce by divine inspiration.
    b. To be an early indication of; to foreshadow, presage, prefigure, portend.
    3. trans. Christian Church.
    To interpret or expound the Bible; to speak out on scriptural or other religious matters, as an expression of divine inspiration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Yes someone already pointed that out. My deepest apologies for the mockery. Its always embarrassing to correct someone and then find out how deeply deeply wrong i was
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Titan in the Playground

Durkon's new color is similar to Redcloaks actually. I highly doubt he worships The Dark One now, but maybe evidence (not conclusive) for LE?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

11. - Top - End - #1211

Is there any evidence for Belkar's daggers being magic besides what the oracle said? Because I think that is ambiguous, "magical dagger repository" may have meant "magical repository for daggers", not "repository for magical daggers".

I realize it is very likely, but I don't think it's certain.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Durkon's new color is similar to Redcloaks actually. I highly doubt he worships The Dark One now, but maybe evidence (not conclusive) for LE?
    Dweomer varies by personality (thus the change in color now that he's vamped), but not according to any fixed set of rules - there's no specific color or range of colors for Evil. So no evidence either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    Is there any evidence for Belkar's daggers being magic besides what the oracle said? Because I think that is ambiguous, "magical dagger repository" may have meant "magical repository for daggers", not "repository for magical daggers".

I realize it is very likely, but I don't think it's certain.
    Were the Oracle to claim, "I didn't mean his daggers are magical, just that I'm magical and he stuck them in me"...it would be at least as bad as his explanation for Miko's death being Belkar's fault.

Similarly, if he had said "orange dagger repository," the very clear implication would be that Belkar had somehow turned him orange.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Dwarf in the Playground

Belkar wouldn't go with unenchanted daggers because this would be either obviously uncool or too hardcore for him yet.

15. - Top - End - #1215

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Similarly, if he had said "orange dagger repository," the very clear implication would be that Belkar had somehow turned him orange.
    No, that is not clear.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

All "turned me into his orange dagger repository" implies is that at least one of those characteristics was lacking until Belkar intervened. He could have been an orange hacksaw repository before, and it would still work, grammatically speaking. To draw on a completely different comic, the Marvel character Nova likes to say that when he got superpowers, he was turned into a "human rocket." That doesn't mean the powers turned him human.

(Editor hat off)
    Last edited by Shale; 2013-04-11 at 02:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Troll in the Playground

Yes someone already pointed that out. My deepest apologies for the mockery. Its always embarrassing to correct someone and then find out how deeply deeply wrong i was
    No worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Speaking of which, shouldn't Belkar have the following aliases: The Belkster, Death's Lil' Helper, and A Sexy Shoeless God of War?
    I think you should consider this. At least the first ones, because I don't think "a sexy shoeless god of war" is an alias, since no one calls or called him with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    That's a good point, Belkar is consistently talking about how everything smells and finding things by scent and so forth.
    Not only that, because if we take into account the description of the special ability, we can see that it matches perfectly with the strips:

1- A creature with the scent ability can detect opponents by sense of smell, generally within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60 feet. If it is downwind, the range is 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at three times these ranges.

And you can smell it from here?
    We're downwind from the entire canyon.

(I think this scene is important because he uses the same term of the description)

2- A creature with the Track feat and the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10. The DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry’s odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Track feat. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.

Hmmm. Buttermilk with a touch of chives. We're close.

(The bold part would explain how a terrible tracker manages to find Vaarsuvius in the Semi-Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing)

3- Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.

How did you suddenly figure out it was me and not my brother?
    You smell different.

4- False, powerful odors can easily mask other scents. The presence of such an odor completely spoils the ability to properly detect or identify creatures, and the base Survival DC to track becomes 20 rather than 10.

Ah... I've been wearing Elan's clothes for days, but upon bathing for my "date", my own scent must have reasserted itself.

(This is self-explanatory)
    Last edited by Living Oxymoron; 2013-04-12 at 07:17 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1219

Can we infer anything about Belkar's strength from this lead sheet?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0281.html

20. - Top - End - #1220

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    Can we infer anything about Belkar's strength from this lead sheet?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0281.html
    No. It did not need to be very thick, so it could easily have been below the 58 pounds for light load if Belkar had the absolute minimum of 14 strength.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

I was reeriding 811 and in panel 2 Malak drains a level of Nale, this says to us that his CL is 9 at least (he casts the dimension door later).

I don't know if this was discused before, but it means that he casts as a 9 lvl Sorcerer (you know, counting the posible prestige classes and all)

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sr.medusa View Post
    I was reeriding 811 and in panel 2 Malak drains a level of Nale, this says to us that his CL is 9 at least (he casts the dimension door later).

I don't know if this was discused before, but it means that he casts as a 9 lvl Sorcerer (you know, counting the posible prestige classes and all)
    He didn't need to lose two Sorcerer levels. He could lose two Fighter levels or so.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

23. - Top - End - #1223

Quote Originally Posted by Sr.medusa View Post
    I was reeriding 811 and in panel 2 Malak drains a level of Nale
    Harm is not a level-draining spell.

Nor does a vampire get to add his/her level draining to any time he touches, even to cast a touch-range spell. Malack would drain two levels if he used his slam attack, which is to say if his slam attack was his attack for that round.

The negative energy aura around Nale in that panel is Nale's hit points being reduced to 1 from the Harm spell, not him losing levels.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Oh, true, the last leveles, silly me. Nevermind, then,

25. - Top - End - #1225

Maybe we'll see the Atonement spell brought into play?
    Thor bloody well better not expect the devoted cleric who died helplessly begging him, Thor, for aid, to "atone" for losing a fight to a vampire, is all I have to say.

26. - Top - End - #1226

Thor bloody well better not expect the devoted cleric who died helplessly begging him, Thor, for aid, to "atone" for losing a fight to a vampire, is all I have to say.
    I dunno. Once Durkon gets his free will and personality back, whether Atonement is needed or not, it may not be simple to pray and get spells back from Thor.

27. - Top - End - #1227

Losing isn't the problem. Actually being a vampire is. And atone is basically a freebie if your "evil" acts were against your will.

...although *do* Clerics actually lose their status if they become Evil and then become Good again? I thought that was just Paladins?

28. - Top - End - #1228

Pompey's level is pegged at 5 because of still silent animate rope.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0342.html

This is probably incorrect since he was remarked to be of very low level. I'd think the easy way for him to deal with that rope is he cast it *before* Roy walked in, i.e. when Roy called out he cast it and used the animate part to tie himself up.

Or... could it have been a scroll?
    Last edited by Dark Matter; 2013-04-16 at 09:18 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1229

Losing isn't the problem. Actually being a vampire is. And atone is basically a freebie if your "evil" acts were against your will.

...although *do* Clerics actually lose their status if they become Evil and then become Good again? I thought that was just Paladins?
    There are no rules on how to atone. However, if your DM tells you that your god is angry because you turned into a vampire, get a new DM.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2013-04-16 at 09:59 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Banned

Pompey's level is pegged at 5 because of still silent animate rope.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0342.html

This is probably incorrect since he was remarked to be of very low level. I'd think the easy way for him to deal with that rope is he cast it *before* Roy walked in, i.e. when Roy called out he cast it and used the animate part to tie himself up.

Or... could it have been a scroll?
    The Order were level 12, on the cusp of level 13, by the time of strip 342. Compared to that, level 5 is "very low level" indeed.