New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Isles of the Small Folk IC

Devka takes a long look around the room they've just entered into. He studies the room as best he can, to make it seem like he's actually interested and to discourage anyone from asking him any tricky questions.

The elf's comment draws his attention. Despite not knowing much about what goes on inside places like these, Devka does not think it is customary to 'burrow' a a valuable sword from someones private creation and to leave the storage in the mess that he saw not too long ago.

Enchanted? Someone actually wasted their time putting their magic into that flimsy blade? A true swordsman wouldn't need magic to defeat his opposition. The might of steel would be enough for them.
    Last edited by Dancing Shadows; 2013-04-01 at 12:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin's eyes widen in surprise. An elf! He hasn't seen one since - well, the druidic enclave had its fair share, so since he arrived here at least.

Unless there were elves in the group of slaves on the coast. Graorin for the life of him can't remember. As usual.

Intelligence check to see if Graorin's already forgotten about Feyloch: (1d20-1)[8]

Yup. Well, he remembers it being mentioned as part of the evil empire story. But were they part of it, or were they fighting it, or what? The details escape him.
    Last edited by Avi235&258; 2013-04-02 at 01:01 AM.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Artho tightens his grip on his Halberd and speaks through gritted teeth " Very well, sir". As the lift stops he walks out and stands to one side, signalling for Alric to mirror his movements, they form up a little in front of and to either side of the group.

He looks over the tall thin man and his group again, looking for any signs of aggression, a hand on a hilt, a tensing of the shoulders, as well as trying to spot an telling shapes beneath the cloaks that might hint at what, if any weaponry is being carried.
    Those shorter men aren't giants, but they're clearly not from the Isles either..

Spoiler
    Show

Spot check for unsightly weapon bulges (1d20+5)[8]
    Sense Motive for signs of aggression (1d20+3)[19]

4. - Top - End - #514
    Troll in the Playground

Eniaol introduces the figures standing round him in turn, "These are the dwarves, Auded, Wharendd, Belfi and Golendd. They are my protectors. Given the unfortunate rumours about my people I thought it most prudent to bring them with me." As he introduces them the four unfurl their cloaks and give a curt bow.

Auded has two hand axes at his belt and he is wearing a chain shirt. Wharendd stands with his feet planted wide, the head of a battle axe clearly visible at his fingertips. Of all of them Wharendd looks most ready to pounce despite the thick breastplate he wears. Belfi, the only one without a long beard smiles as she bows. Her chain shirt is tied high on her waist by a thick leather belt. Two throwing axes protrude from it and two more sit high at her shoulders. Golendd shares Wharendd's hungry look but his heavier greataxe stands at his side, head on the ground and haft in the dwarf's right hand. They are dressed for battle, not for dinner.

"Gentlemen, ladies, shall we sit?" Lord Stilt indicates the chairs and moves to sit at the head of the table with the elf on his immediate right. The dwarves make no move to be seated. Eniaol smiles indulgently at his host. As soon as you are seated the servants bring in the soup course, a spicy tomato and lentil soup drizzled with cream and served with sprigs of parsley. Hot bread rolls are delivered with garlic butter as an accompaniment.

One of the dwarves steps forward and snatches a roll, dips it into the soup and tastes it before grunting his approval. The elf nods before reaching for his own bread and starting the meal.

All the halflings begins to eat but it isn't long before the counsellor pipes up, "Calkin, you said you'd explain?" She'd wearing a worried frown and watching the dwarves warily.

"Yes, yes I did. It's simple really. We've all heard these terrible stories about invaders and giants and whatnot but this is just scaremongering. Our friends in the Empire are seeking nothing more than trading partners. I've made a deal that will give Bridge excellent trade revenue for years to come and ensuring our continued autonomy, with some minor changes, we need strong leadership for one. The last part of the deal sits at this very table. I'll allow my good friend, Lord Eniaol to explain."

"I humbly thank you, Lord Stilt. You see upon our arrival some of our property went missing. All we seek is its return and then we may begin to trade with you good people. That property being the indentured servants to the Empire, criminals and such who are contributing to the success of our society by serving their time aboard our vessels of exploration. I understand that the heroes who slew the beast known as Old Claws know where we can find our property. All you must do is tell us where they are and we will retrieve them. Bridge will not need to suffer the presence of thieves and killers in her midst and we will have what is ours returned." He looks at Astrid as he finishes his speech, "That includes you, my dear."

Finally he looks at Graorin, "Also your homeland is by now a member state of the Empire. You must be registered as a citizen and give two years service to it. That is the law that you are bound to obey. You will return with us too and the Isles will be rid of humans interfering with their business. That is as it must be."

The other guests sit in stunned silence for a moment before they start shouting objections.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let me know where you're sitting relative to the head of the table please.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #515

SwashbucklerGuy

As the Party and guests take their seats, rtho takes up a standing position, far enough away from the table as to be descreet but close enough that he could react quickly if needed.

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming the PCs sit mostly together, down on side of the table, he would be stood behind them

All the while he eyes the Dwarves, especially Wharendd and Golendd. Armed, foreign, aggressive looking warriors of an unfamiliar race aren't exactly the people he would like wandering around the place. Especially since they seem to be talking about rounding up slaves as though they're nothing.
    Last edited by Mr.D; 2013-04-05 at 01:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Orc in the Playground

Devka stares at Lord Eniaol, mouth agape, in the stunned silence with everyone else. Then he firmly shuts his mouth, grinds his teeth and doesn't bother to mask his hostility towards Lord Eniaol. He cannot believe that someone would make such an outrageous claim as that!

His fingers twitch, longing for the comforting feel of an axe in his hand; Longing to lodge it firmly into this, "Lord's", neck and make sure he never utters another word; Longing to wipe yet another smug fool from this land.

This is the last time I ever leave my axe behind so I can seem polite in the face of arrogant aristocrats. I feel utterly defenceless and naked without it. Speaking is not where my strength lies, but I guess it'll have to do for now

After all this has gone through his head, Devka adds his voice to object along with the others.
    "What you speak is idiocy, you cannot own a person. I don't care what reasoning you have, it cannot be done. The have hopes and ambitions and parents and wives and sons and daughters. They have their own lives and they should be allowed to enjoy it as they so please, not to waste it away in service to someone the don't know, but hate; and for a cause they don't understand, but oppose. To attempt to take freedom away from someone is to become a monster.

I don't know about anyone else here but I know I'd rather die a freeman then be 'owned' by some arrogant lord who thinks that birth dictates power and that other people are only there to be used like tools. This is where I warn you that if my friends should wish to live as freemen, and not under the service of an untested whelp like yourself, then I won't let you take that from them."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20)[6]
    Intimidate (1d20+5)[6]
    Use whichever is applicable (if any)

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Shocked that anyone could be so brazen about such subjects, and that their host had been so bold as to make arrangements on behalf of the entire community of Bridge, Ben also speaks up.
    Addressing Eniaol sneeringly, "Your Lordship, or however you would style yourself, you may well speak on behalf of your Empire, you may even have some influence within your own society; but I can assure you Lord Stilt has neither the authority, nor the influence to speak on behalf of the community of Bridge, and he definitely does not represent the opinions and best interests of our entire community in these islands. Our very group was sent forth by the authorities in Old Alk to investigate the lack of news and trade from remote islands to the north and determine whether there was any truth to the rumours of slaver attacks. It would seem our worst fears were correct.

I posit that you are not here to arrange trade relations, merely to establish a toe-hold to get your people on to our islands in order to put pressure on the locals to bow to your wishes.

We believe that all people are born, live and die free and have the right to live their lives as they see fit. What rules and laws we have in our society are intended to ensure that no one individual can adversely influence the lives of others.

You are correct in your statement that we know where the rest of Astrid's group are located, we established contact with them and negotiated their acceptance in to the community here; but you are sadly mistaken if you believe that we will ever give up their location willing so that you may capture, and possibly torture them.

Our comrade Graorin may well have travelled here from a land that is now part of your Empire, but he was born free and left his home of his own accord. Those of his people who remained may well acquiesce to your demands, or perhaps have been forced to submit to them against their will, that is not the issue at hand. If friend-Graorin believes himself to be a free-man, then as part of our enclave he is free to live his life that way and we of the Irregulars will make every effort to see that he, and everyone in our community, continues to be able to do so.

Your hired muscle looks very impressive, but if you really were here with peaceful intentions or as a trade emissary, you would not need either the retinue or the weaponry you have seen fit to help yourself to this day.

We are a welcoming, hospitable people, offering shelter and food to any that pass our way; the limits of our generosity know no bounds. However, in this instance whilst you may not have outstayed the welcome of your host tonight you have definitely outstayed your welcome in our society and like any guest in your position it is only polite that you now take your leave."

Spoiler
    Show

not really aiming for diplomatic here, nor intimidation, this is really scene-setting/RP content; especially as we only have a couple of daggers between us!

I’m going to roll for diplomacy hoping that Ben’s monologue stirs some sort of emotion in the Dwarves (1d20+8)[18]

I’ll roll for sense motive whilst I’m at it to pick up the vibes from:
    Eniaol (1d20+6)[18]
    Stilt (1d20+6)[15]
    Artho (1d20+6)[11] as he is not yet part of the group and Ben has no intuitive feel for his motives
    Alric (1d20+6)[14] as he may not follow Artho’s lead
    Auded (1d20+6)[15]
    Wharendd (1d20+6)[7]
    Belfi (1d20+6)[14]
    Golendd (1d20+6)[23]
    GitP BloodBowl Manager Cup - Now Finished!
    The Low-down Dirty Rats - See How We Run!
    Record:
    Season VII - 6-4-1 and Runners Up!
    Season VI - 7-5-1 + Quarter-final loss and Div B All-Star losing coach!
    Season V - 4-6-1 + Quarter-final loss

RAT POWER!

8. - Top - End - #518
    Troll in the Playground

Astrid looks miserable at Eniaol's announcement and is close to tears until Devka and Ben speak up, "I can't go back," she says simply picking up the biggest knife from her cutlery and gripping it tightly.

Eniaol seems unmoved by Devka or Ben's words but Lord Stilt is enraged by them, his face turning darker and redder with each word until he splutters an apology to Eniaol and starts ranting about "low born fools not knowing their place"

Both the halfling guards appear as shocked as the other guests but the dwarves are utterly inscrutable but wary. It is as if they haven't understood a word that has been exchanged and are reacting only to the tone of the words.
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2013-04-08 at 08:41 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #519

SwashbucklerGuy

Artho is taken aback at the sudden outbursts from the party, but he shares their sentiment, nodding to himself as they talk. Seeing the Dwarves becoming restless and sensing the tension rising he tightens his grip on his weapons and readies himself but doesn't move, his years as a guard telling him it would be a bad idea to to do anything obvious.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

From the moment they entered the mansion, Kevst was annoyed.

Not annoyed so much at Lord Stilt, or the guards, but annoyed at Ben... and himself. The moment they entered this nice house, Ben assumed Kevst would steal something. Then, when something went missing, Ben immediately suspected Kevst. Is that all he is to these people? An impulsive kleptomaniac? Someone who'd steal anything not bolted down... for fun?

Kevst bristled at Ben's insinuations. How dare he, of all people, make such comments. Ben is no better. He grew up in the gutter, same as Kevst. He knew what it was like, what they had to go through in Alkton. Maybe he enjoyed it, maybe it is all a fun game to him, but Kevst hated it. He did what he had to to survive. He never had remorse for what he did, and still doesn't feel sorry for it, he did what he had to, but that doesn't mean he stole for no reason.

So no, he's not just going run around this mansion like mad throwing everything in his bag that will fit. He only tried to lift those clothes because he thought he needed them. Thought he needed to pretend to be someone else to fit in. Thought he could slip into the shoes of someone else and slip into a new persona to fit their circumstances. But that wasn't him.

He thought for a brief moment there that Ben was someone to look up to. He came from the same mean streets, endured the same indignities, but he was confident, brash, smooth with people. He didn't need to slink through the shadows, he could shake your hand, look you in the eye, and rob you blind. He'd take your money and you'd feel good about it afterwards. For a brief moment, Kevst admired that.

He did his best to copy him at the baths. To spin a yarn, pretend to be someone else, play some elaborate game and steal the clothes from a couple of big shots. It was a failure. A complete failure. Kevst could never do what Ben does, Kevst could never be who Ben is. He was annoyed he ever thought he could be.

Kevst had no great love for others, and would not hesitate to lift any object or slit any throat if it was necessary for his survival, but - he thought - he was too honest to trick you about it. He just couldn't lie and swindle people to their faces. He could steal coins and jewels, but to trick someone, lead them on, pretend to be someone you're not, that's like stealing someone's heart. Making them think things about you that aren't true and then snatching that away. Saying one thing to a person's face and another behind their back. Kevst couldn't stand that behavior in the orphanage, and he couldn't stand it now. That was not him. Ben's way was not his way. It would never be his way.

As they toured the house Kevst mulled this over in his mind. Looking at each of his new companions, thinking about their lives, their strengths, their talents. If Ben was no role model.. then who?

Despite wanting to strangle Graorin on a daily basis, Kevst respected him. He lived for years out in a cave, needing nothing from anyone, expecting nothing from anyone. Just surviving and living the life he wanted to live without molestation. Just like Devka and Ever. While he couldn't really respect Graorin's general crankiness towards others or Devka's rush of anger, he saw much serenity in Ever.

He saw a man who, while certainly much dumber than Kevst, was comfortable with who he was. Kevst spent his life surviving in the streets, while Ever survived amidst the trees and rocks and oceans of this world. They both just did what they had to to survive. In Ever's case it meant understanding and connecting with the wild and living off the land. For Kevst it meant understanding and avoiding the civilized and living off of other people.

Perhaps Ever's way was the better way to be. Perhaps Kevst could find his peace, and live life his way if he just got away from people altogether. Learned to survive in and enjoy nature. Come to think of it, he was never so happy as when he was on his own out in the sea, swimming among nature.

Kevst resolved to spend more time with Ever. Learn from him. Learn his ways. Ever would be his role model. Ever was the kind of person Kevst wanted to be.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-04-05 at 09:36 PM.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst followed along with the others, not paying much attention to the drama over the missing weapons, or anything else. Kevst was lost in thought. Just thinking about how annoyed he was with the box that certain people had placed him in. Thinking about who he was and who he wanted to be.

He sat down at the table, sitting at the far end of the table, as was natural to him he wanted to be as far away from the center of attention as possible. Just stay out of sight as much as he could. As he sat he finally got a chance to admire his surroundings. The richness of it all. The fine silver place settings and cutlery. The impressive silver ornaments around the room and gleaming candelabras. And most impressive of all, the room itself. Lord Stilt was not just wealthy, he wanted everyone to know it.

Yet, despite all this extravagant wealth, Kevst had no urge to steal anything. He was not some mindless thief like Ben and perhaps the others thought. He stole to survive, and at the moment, he was surviving quite well without stealing. Astonishingly, he was a guest here. Treated to all the fineries of wealth, being given it as a gift, not having to take it when no one is looking. He was eating soup right from the pot and bread rolls hot out of the oven, not picked out of the trash the next day.

Stealing from the benevolent host who would give all these things freely was the last thing on Kevst's mind.

But then.. his host's guests began to speak. They talked about property being stolen, but they were not talking about bread or daggers or jewels. They were talking about people. Could people be stolen? Could people be owned?

Kevst had little enough support for the idea of owning things, but owning people? If such a thing as evil existed in this world, surely slavery would be it. Lord Stilt was no benevolent host. He was a very bad man.

"Alright, that's it, **** this guy," thought Kevst as he discretely grabbed up all the silver ware in reach and shoved it into his pockets.

Spoiler
    Show

Sleight of Hand: Take 10 + 9 = 19

12. - Top - End - #522
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

While Graorin bristles at the idea of authority, he also doesn't really care about politics - or about how that authority is necessarily applied to others. If these former slaves belong to the Empire, sure, let them have them. What does he care?

Only one thing rankles him, though: the idea that he himself will have to serve. (And how do these people know where he's from, anyway? Does he have the scimitar emblem branded to his forehead? Must be the one strapped to his back.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: So apparently Graorin uses a scimitar because it's a weapon he's used to, and brought with him, from his homeland. Hooray for retroactive background information!

But then again, what has Tse'ela ever done for him? How convenient that he hasn't lived there in several years...

"I thought you said these isles have autonomy," Graorin rumbles, thus passive-aggressively indicating where he considers his 'homeland' to actually be.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Troll in the Playground

Counsellor Bodger frowns, "Lord Eniaol, if I may, I have a question," the old woman stands and walks round to Astrid and Graorin, "You say that these 'humans' who we've been calling 'giants' are actually criminals, thieves and murderers, you said. That they've escapes from your Empire's 'justice' and that this 'justice' is enforced slavery?" She stands between the two humans and puts her hand on their elbows, "This man nearly died fighting a monster that has been plaguing this town for years. This woman has done nothing but thank the people here for their generosity. That's right, I've been keeping abreast of you two and your friends."

"As far as I'm concerned Bridge would need a treaty with your Empire before any sort of extradition trial could take place. We'd need proof of wrongdoing according to our own laws at the very least and we'd want to know what sort of punishment the accused would get if convicted. We already have that sort of arrangement on the Isles with one another. If a man steals in Old Alk and comes here we'll send them back if a constable arrives with a warrant and details of their crimes. You haven't done that. What you're asking for is to hand over people to strangers without even knowing what they've done. That's putting aside the rumours that your people are actually invaders to these lands rather than peaceful traders as you claim."

Eniaol grows increasingly angry at her speech but the blood drains from his face at her accusation of being invaders "You people always misunderstand our intentions. We seek only mutual protection and security. The unruly elements of society must be controlled or they'll bring down the rest of us. Lord Stilt assured me that you would hand over our property without argument, are you going to go back on his word?"

"As Ben says, it is not his to give. We are a council of merchants, not a dictatorship and as Devka says we're free and not subject to one arrogant little boy's hubris."

Lord Stilt stands at this last insult, "How dare you! How dare you call me a boy! I'm a grown man and I'm in charge here, not you, old woman. He draws his rapier with a flourish and waves it at her from across the table. Before the blade is fully drawn the dwarf, Golendd has drawn his greataxe and is already advancing on the noble.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative rolls
    Eniaol the elf (1d20+1)[15]
    The dwarves
    Auded (1d20+2)[11]
    Wharendd (1d20+6)[13]
    Belfi (1d20+1)[8]
    Golendd (1d20+4)[22]
    Halflings
    Lord Stilt (1d20+1)[9]
    Alric (1d20+5)[21]
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2013-04-10 at 08:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #524

SwashbucklerGuy

As soon as a weapon is drawn Artho is on the move. He rushes forward to get himself between Counsellor Bodger and the advancing dwarves shouting as he runs "Alric, get the Counsellors out of here!". He doesn't wait to see how Alric reacts, assuming he'll follow orders and once in position braces himself, taking on a defensive stance.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative (1d20+3)[15]
    If Artho has enough time once he gets into position he'll take the Total Defence action, if he meets an attacker straight away he'll take a swing
    To hit (1d20+6)[20]
    confirm if crit (1d20+6)[21]
    damage (1d8+2)[4]
    critical damage (3d8+2)[17]

15. - Top - End - #525
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Groarin sighs. This Bodger person is getting all insulted on his behalf - Eniaol never said he was a criminal, just Astrid, and for all he knows she could be - and everything else is politics. He's staying out of this.

Initiative: (1d20+3)[8]

Graorin on his turn is going to simply walk out of the room and leave the idiots to fight amongst themselves. With a crook of the finger towards Athedru to get him to follow.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ben throws himself towards Stilt, intent on eventually wrestling the sword from his hands, but grabbing him so as to put a body between himself and trouble.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative (d20+4)[9]
    touch attack to initiate grapple (1d20+2)[14]
    Grapple check (1d20-3)[8] (str =0, BAB =1, size =-4)
    Confirm crit (1d20-3)[9]
    Damage (1d2)[1]
    Additional damage on crit (1d2)[2]

Record:

RAT POWER!

17. - Top - End - #527
    Orc in the Playground

Devka smiles grimly and pulls out one of his daggers, prehaps this evening wasn't going to be as boring as he expected it to be.

He glares at Stilt and makes it perfectly clear that if he wants to continue on with his current course of action it will result in a dagger being buried to the hilt in his neck.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+4)[9]
    Intimidate (1d20+5)[14]
    Last edited by Dancing Shadows; 2013-04-10 at 05:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

"Figures," Kevst thought, "the first time I get invited to some fancy dinner and swords get drawn."

Kevst was glad to hear Counsellor Bodger stand up to the giant slavers, and to Lord Stilt, but as the back and forth between everyone got more tense, Kevst got more uncomfortable and anxious. Instinctually, he slumped down in his chair. The best way to handle uncomfortable or threatening situations is to avoid them, run, hide, keep out of sight. It is how he's always lived his life, and it has served him well.

Yet despite his impulse to run, or walk out the door like Groarin seems ready to do, Kevst knows that since he hooked up with this strange group he has had regular meals, gotten to see places he's never seen before, done things he's never done before, and generally felt more secure than he has in a long while. For better or worse, for the time being, his survival is tied to the survival of his companions. As much as he wants to just follow Groarin out the door, he knows he'd be worse off.

He slumps down in his chair further and finally, as everyone's attention is focused elsewhere he slips beneath the table.

Kevst is confused and anxious about this whole situation. Who is an enemy? Who is a friend? Will this be resolved peacefully? Or not? He isn't sure what to do yet, but he hides under the table and loads a bolt into his crossbow... just in case.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+4)[15]
    Hide: Take 10 +13 = 23
    Move Silently: Take 10 + 11 = 21

(Since combat hasn't fully begun... (or has it?) I'm assuming I can still take 10)

If I can't take 10, then I'll roll:

Hide: (1d20+13)[14]
    Move Silently: (1d20+11)[14]

If more serious fighting breaks out before Kevst's turn comes up in the order, then he'll join in as well. Otherwise he'll hold off. He isn't going to be the first to draw blood.

But, if blood has spilt, he'll do this:

Point Blank Shot: +1 attack, +1 damage
    Sneak Attack Damage: +1d6

Attack: (1d20+7)[20]
    Damage: (2d6+1)[10]

Attacking one of the dwarfs, or whoever has been the most aggressive to a friend/ally and who he has a clear shot at.

Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-04-11 at 01:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Troll in the Playground

Round 1 summary

Golendd swings his great axe straight down on Lord Stilt's arm (1d20+4)[15] (1d12+1)[11], a powerful blow that somehow glances off at the last moment. Stilt screams in pain, drops his blade and cradles his bruised limb. It's a surprise that the axe didn't sever it. He is engulfed a moment later as Ben leaps on him and a few second after that Artho stands over the pair to block more blows.

Eniaol sits for a moment, stunned at the turn of events and then begins shouting in a language that none of you understand. Artho hurls himself forward to protect his lord but Ben is closer and gets there first. In the fracas the arrogant nobleman barely notices the venomous look from Devka. The remaining dwarves draw weapons as the halflings flee to the cage lift but do not advance. Ever and Athedru do their best to help the counsellors and servants into the cage.

As far as Kevst can see one of the burly dwarves has attacked and there is a scuffle at the head of the table. His arrow shoots past chair legs and limbs as people dive out of the way of the melee and embeds itself in the leg fo the dwarf who started things. After attacking Golendd takes a step back and stand to attention, his leg bleeding from the shaft jutting out of it but stoically ignoring the pain. The elf stumbles over his chair to move back. He yells out in halfling, "Stop, please stop, this is a terrible misunderstanding." He then begins to chant arcane phrases and his gestures leave trails in the air. Fascinating gestures that threaten to stop you in your tracks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Could Artho, Ben and Devka make a Will save against Eniaol's Hypnotism spell please during your action. DC11 as you're in combat. Kevst is in range but cannot see the swirling colours. Everyone else is out of range.

None of the dwarves are fighting at the moment but they are alert and ready so you may act.

Updated map at the end of the round
    Spoiler
    Show
    [/URL]
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2013-04-12 at 05:00 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #530
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin glances over his shoulder at the battle and sighs. He'd forgotten there was a cage and not a hallway, which means he can't stay just outside the room and wait until things settle down. And with everyone else trying to get to safety...

Fine. He can defend himself better than these 'nobles' could.

He steps to the side and allows Bodger to pass him and head for the cage should she choose. If (and only if) the battle is still going on by the time it reaches his initiative, he will discard his prepared first-level Jump spell and instead spontaneously cast Summon Nature's Ally I to create a wolf (which the SRD says will appear just before my turn next round and act on my turn then).

If things have calmed down, he will not act, instead readying an action to draw his quarterstaff.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Having bundled Stilt to the floor, Ben looks up to see what's happening around them and see the elf weaving colourful trails in the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    will save - (1d20+2)[21]

A interesting as the display is, it's just patterns in the air as far as Ben is concerned. Assuming it is some sort of distraction, Ben focussed his attention on the Elf rather than his waving hands.

Some misunderstanding! he thinks.
    Last edited by Delia2531; 2013-04-12 at 05:28 AM.
    Record:

RAT POWER!

22. - Top - End - #532

SwashbucklerGuy

Artho peers over his shield at the dwarves, surprised at their sudden retreat. Surveying the room warily his eyes fall on the Elf..

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+3)[6]

, following his hands, the swirling colours seem to seep into Arthos mind, he tries to remember what he's doing but he is quickly mesmerised.
    Last edited by Mr.D; 2013-04-12 at 06:35 AM.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Orc in the Playground

Devka catches sight of the patterns that the elf has summoned and stares at them, trying to figure out what they remind him of.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save: (1d20+3)[4] (DC11)

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Dancing Shadows; 2013-04-12 at 06:56 AM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

Confused as to what is going on, Kevst loads another arrow, crawls forward five feet and then sits there, waiting to see what happens next.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Spellcraft roll to identify the spell being cast (and maybe I'll close the tag this time): (1d20)[20]

26. - Top - End - #536
    Troll in the Playground

Eniaol finishes his spell, Hypnotism. The magical swirling colours hang in the air and the drone of his voice somehow persists, enrapturing Artho and Devka. The elf looks over the panicked halflings and sighs before pulling a large sheaf of paper from a pocket of his robes and launching into another spell. Graorin recognises this as a Knock spell, useful for opening doors and chests.

The counsellors and servants have bundled into the cage of the lift and have slammed the doors shut. As the elf finishes his spell the scroll crumbles into ash and appears to twist in the air. The writing hangs for a moment as he chants and then, with a gesture, he points to the cage. The ash coalesces and streams across the dining room where it gathers on the frame. A moment later the doors spring open with a pop and the ash falls to the floor, "Don't go anywhere just yet." he says harshly and then in another language instructs the dwarves to act. Two of them begin crossing the room towards the counsellors.

Spoiler
    Show
    Most of you are standing ready (though you haven't delayed your initiative yet). It's still round 2. Wharendd and Auded the dwarves are walking towards the lift, Lord Stilt is crying over his injured arm. I won't change the map until the end of the round.

Those hypnotised remain so for 4 rounds and can act again on round 6 if there is a round 6. Please treat the "Don't go anywhere just yet." as a "brief and reasonable" request by the caster as per the spell.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #537

SwashbucklerGuy

Artho straightens up and stands at ease, seemingly waiting patiently as though nothing were happening, absently checking the strap on his shield and adjusting an uncomfortable piece of armour

Spoiler
    Show

I really hope there's a round 6. Artho will not be pleased

28. - Top - End - #538
    Orc in the Playground

Devka leans back against the table and stares at the ceiling whilst whistling a simple tune.

Spoiler
    Show
    I shall treat it as 'brief and reasonable' though it would not be at all reasonable for me to just stand there while he and his bodyguards kill people (if that is what they have in mind)

29. - Top - End - #539
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Graorin grits his teeth in anger at the elf's temerity and definitely summons that wolf.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

Kevst is still confused. Lord Stilt was trying to sell the Isles out to the giant slavers. He thought the dwarves and elf were there to protect Lord Stilt, but one dwarf attacked him.

After very nearly shooting down the escaped slaves they found on the beach, Kevst wanted to avoid a mistake here. Or, seeing as he already shot someone, another mistake.

Kevst loads an arrow, and watches the movement of stocky, hairy legs around the table.