New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Cool moment I want to share

So we were fighting some zombies, following orders given by a knight commander (a Marshall). His leadership lead to the death of many soldiers, so my character (a Greensnake Naga Nightstalker) told him "I know more about the undead than you do, you are leading us to our deaths" and he basically ignored me. When the next zombie attack came, I told the DM I would ignore the Marshall's orders, and he told me I'd lose the bonus from his aura, and I said it was okay. Being away from him I managed to find an invisible necromancer that was helping the zombies - when I took him out, the battle quickly turned our way. My character was hailed as a hero and the knight commander challenged me to a duel, but I declined and said I wasn't a warrior. Our Fighter said he was willing to fight as my champion and forced the knight commander to admit defeat without even dealing him hp damage. The dude simply left in disgrace and now we have to find a way to keep the soldiers together without their leader.
    Just wanted share, it was pretty cool.
    Last edited by ThiagoMartell; 2012-09-15 at 05:18 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cool moment I want to share

Nice bit of RP there. This an OA campaign?
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Nice bit of RP there. This an OA campaign?
    No, not really. There is a continent with lots of eastern flavor, but we're not there.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hope you keep the army together. Those are fun!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeDSix View Post
    Hope you keep the army together. Those are fun!
    Well, we only have about 30 soldiers now. We can't really call that an army. I don't think we'll be able to keep them together unless something big happens - the knight commander was a bad strategist, but he knew how to make people love him. I'm guessing most soldiers will go after him soon-ish, while we will have to find a way to bring the survivors home and discover what the heck that necromancer wanted at the same time.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Just pay them and win keep them alive. That tends to work pretty good for a mercenary army captain.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-09-15 at 06:35 AM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    Just pay them and win keep them alive. That tends to work pretty good for a mercenary army captain.
    We don't have much money

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    We don't have much money
    Trained warrior hireling costs 3 sp per day. 3 sp x 30 warriors (assuming 1st level) is 9 gp a day. Higher level soldiers might require more.

If you are level 3 or above, you should be able to find enough treasure in regular fights to pay them. Or take a commission guarding a large caravan. Go hire yourself off to a duke to fight a minor border skirmish. Turn bandit or pirate.

I personally don't like leadership as a feat that a PC just takes (should be a bonus feat for RP in my opinion, that's how I work it in my games), but this could lead up to one person becoming the new captain with leadership.

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    Trained warrior hireling costs 3 sp per day. 3 sp x 30 warriors (assuming 1st level) is 9 gp a day. Higher level soldiers might require more.

If you are level 3 or above, you should be able to find enough treasure in regular fights to pay them. Or take a commission guarding a large caravan. Go hire yourself off to a duke to fight a minor border skirmish. Turn bandit or pirate.

I personally don't like leadership as a feat that a PC just takes (should be a bonus feat for RP in my opinion, that's how I work it in my games), but this could lead up to one person becoming the new captain with leadership.
    I mean that at the moment, we don't have much money. We're away from town, else we could just sell some magical gear. We are camping in a haunted forest, basically. We're low on supplies, but we can probably work around that with magic/hunting. But these guys don't trust us as they trusted the previous commander, so I don't think they're going to wait for to pay them when we get to town. Whenever we tried to move we had new zombie attacks.

Well, maybe I should explain more - we came to this situation because we were charged with finding a noble's daughter. She supposedly had abandoned her family to live in the wild, but most of her family died so our employer wanted us to find her so he could marry her. We came along with a mercenary company, because the forest was supposedly very dangerous. We just didn't know it was dangerous because it was full of undead. Soldiers are dying left and right, but we did find the girl (she is a druid, btw, meaning she is very very useful right now). We can't seem to go back, though, since there are undead everywhere.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Offer to turn them loose, then, and see how many make it back alive. Survival should be the priority for them right now, and sticking with your group, as a group, would be in all of their best interests. Promise double pay every day (as hazard pay) until you make it back, it should still be a drop in the bucket (depending on your level, that is).

When you get back, hopefully everyone is happy and you've got a nice little merc force at your beck and call.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

so the troops captain abandoned them? tha'ts really not cool; even if he's defeated in a duel; abandoning his men in a bad spot really doesn't sound right.
    who hired the merc company? your benefactor? if so, they still work for him, but would mostly just wanna get out alive; and they'll still stay ina group whether or not you're paying them. they'll likely follow you because it's safer to do so than to go off on their own.
    at any rate, yeah, that's cool. Is the lady druid ok with the hirer's marriage plan?
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    so the troops captain abandoned them? tha'ts really not cool; even if he's defeated in a duel; abandoning his men in a bad spot really doesn't sound right.
    He actually told them they could go with him. It seemed like some of them were going, but I reminded them there was still money to be had.
    who hired the merc company? your benefactor? if so, they still work for him, but would mostly just wanna get out alive; and they'll still stay ina group whether or not you're paying them. they'll likely follow you because it's safer to do so than to go off on their own.
    Yeah, the issue is them agreeing it's safer.
    I mean, for us, going back alone would actually be safer, since we'd save up on magic for actual combat and we could use stealth to evade zombies. I just don't want to let these guys die.
    at any rate, yeah, that's cool. Is the lady druid ok with the hirer's marriage plan?
    At first, she was actually cool with it. Then our Rogue seduced her... I have no idea what's gonna happen now.