New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: League of Legends XXXVIII: Featuring Mumble, The Giant Halibut

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    Her range isn't that high, guys, christing god.

Oh, and as it happens I opened Froggen's stream for no particular reason and immediately saw him on Lux with nothing but DFG, boots of speed, and a health potion. I feel so vindicated right now.
    There's some mages who basically never build it tho; Anivia, Kennen, Cassiopeia & Morgana for instance. Well, maybe as 4th/5th item in some special cases but beyond that. It's rare enough on Vlad too.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Note to self: Max Payne-style noir narration of absolutely everything in all-chat is not acceptable Teemo play.
    Honestly, that sounds like about the best possible Teemo play. Keep it up, the others were merely jealous of your awesomeness.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Why didn't you just mute him?
    Eh, I really really dislike the idea of muting, or otherwise cutting off someone completely; it just feels like something should be left open, if the person changes their ways, or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    He probably forgot he could.
    That too. Shaddup.

But yeah, I just personally don't feel comfortable muting, no matter how horrid the person, unless they're spamming to the point where the communication in of itself is an act of hostility.

Also... Swain's perfectly viable as a mid mage on SR, right? I think I've asked this before...

Basic build for him goes like: Spell Boots, Catalyst to RoA, maybe early chalice (upgrading it last probably), death cap/Rylai's, hourglass, right?
    Yeah, Swain is quite a good mid on SR, in my opinion; pre-six he has scary damage that almost no-one ever accounts for. If he can get his snare off, especially if the enemy champ draws minion aggro first, he can E+Q, ignite and get a few auto attacks off, he can do a hell of a lot of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    Edit: Also, might be worth pointing out that Swain's and Kat's ults are technically three single-target spells, not one AoE spell, with all the relevant benefits regarding Rylai's, spellvamp, and Blackfire Torch. Kinda cool.
    Huh, never realised that before; it might just make me try out Rylais on Swain sometime.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    There's some mages who basically never build it tho; Anivia, Kennen, Cassiopeia & Morgana for instance. Well, maybe as 4th/5th item in some special cases but beyond that. It's rare enough on Vlad too.
    I feel like it's actually rather strong on Cassiopeia, and I dare say that if people were building it on Karthus it's probably viable on Cass and Anivia. Kennen is energy-based (CDR is somewhat less valuable when you have a hard resource cap like energy), working DFG into Morgana's combo is awkward, and both of them have a huge incentive to build early Abyssals/Hourglasses.

It's also the only CDR item in Vlad's arsenal that doesn't force him to give up significant amounts of damage. He even amplifies it by 14%/12%/5%/whatever value to which they've most recently nerfed his ult.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    Edit: Also, might be worth pointing out that Swain's and Kat's ults are technically three single-target spells, not one AoE spell, with all the relevant benefits regarding Rylai's, spellvamp, and Blackfire Torch. Kinda cool.

That's, uhm, actually not true AFAIK. Both Swain ult and Kat ult interact as AoE abilities. Ahri W, on the other hand, will proc single-target effects on multiple enemies.
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2012-10-19 at 05:31 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Honestly, that sounds like about the best possible Teemo play. Keep it up, the others were merely jealous of your awesomeness.
    I dunno, I'm partial to quoting grimdark space marine-esque passages of the Scout's Code too.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Proberly because people would rather have you focus on actualy playing the game
    You wound me, sir. I went 8/2 and won a 1v2 Proving Grounds match with that. Who's to say I don't focus?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

6. - Top - End - #1416

I feel like it's actually rather strong on Cassiopeia, and I dare say that if people were building it on Karthus it's probably viable on Cass and Anivia. Kennen is energy-based (CDR is somewhat less valuable when you have a hard resource cap like energy), working DFG into Morgana's combo is awkward, and both of them have a huge incentive to build early Abyssals/Hourglasses.
    But saying it's 'strong' on a champion is no reason to call it a problem. You can't build it on Cass or Karthus before they finish their core.

Lux and Orianna usually don't build it either because they prefer Grail, which means that combined with Blue buff the CDR from DFG can go to waste.

I might be going crazy because I was convinced I'd posted 4 paragraphs about this yesterday. Don't know what happened, maybe I didn't submit properly? Anyway, it might be a bit too strong of an option right now, but what Riot is doing with it is overshooting the objective. They're both making it an unviable item to build, and they nerfed short range burst mages even more.

Edit: Oh ok, so that explains some things.
    Last edited by Mephit; 2012-10-19 at 05:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1417

It's viable but it's not a high priority item and generally on Anivia and Cass I'd prefer to just get a tad tankier so they can do their thing and win the game. They really don't need the extra burst since they dominate games without it.

It's worth noting that Froggen is just about the only person who gets it on Karthus and even he gets it as a 3rd item earliest (after RoA and Deathcap).

It's also the only CDR item in Vlad's arsenal that doesn't force him to give up significant amounts of damage. He even amplifies it by 14%/12%/5%/whatever value to which they've most recently nerfed his ult.
    Feh, it doesn't really mesh that well with his playstyle tho. It's again certainly viable if you can build it but Vlad generally has too high priorities on other items to get it early. Swain has similar considerations.

In general, you want DFG early if you are a single-target assassin or really want the CDR, and don't have any other priority items to get. And it obviously is very low priority on tanky casters who plan on sustained damage.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

You all are missing the point that if Lux is close enough to use DFG, she is too close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    You all are missing the point that if Lux is close enough to use DFG, she is too close.
    That's not really true. Her passive is relevant, and DFG has a longer range than her passive. She usually goes in when she lands a root and tries to get a kill.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Troll in the Playground

Does anyone know if Clairvoyance is available for the reworked Twisted Treeline? Considering wards are banned, might come in handy.

I'm fairly excited about the rework.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Troll in the Playground

I'll check later today.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laudandus View Post
    That's not really true. Her passive is relevant, and DFG has a longer range than her passive. She usually goes in when she lands a root and tries to get a kill.
    Lux's passive is relevant in lane, and conveniently is extra damage when you hit someone with your ult. Late game it is not.
    My Twitter

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    In general, you want DFG early if you are a single-target assassin or really want the CDR, and don't have any other priority items to get. And it obviously is very low priority on tanky casters who plan on sustained damage.
    Early or not; DFG is a % based nuke that can be added at any point of your combo that will always be relevant. There is no caster that can't use it effectively.

Which is why Morello was in favor of removing it, an idea I hope eventually wins out.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Orc in the Playground

Lux's passive is relevant in lane, and conveniently is extra damage when you hit someone with your ult. Late game it is not.
    It's not great late game, but CDR is good and and you're going to be able to cast a 750 range targeted spell on someone at some point in a team fight. For sure it's not great late game, but DFG in general is a snowball item for early/midgame small fights.

I don't think it's optimal on Lux most of the time, but certainly it is a viable option if you want to snowball a lane advantage.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laudandus View Post
    It's not great late game, but CDR is good and and you're going to be able to cast a 750 range targeted spell on someone at some point in a team fight. For sure it's not great late game, but DFG in general is a snowball item for early/midgame small fights.

I don't think it's optimal on Lux most of the time, but certainly it is a viable option if you want to snowball a lane advantage.
    Any proper Lux build should already be hitting 35-40% CDR by mid game.
    My Twitter

16. - Top - End - #1426

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Early or not; DFG is a % based nuke that can be added at any point of your combo that will always be relevant. There is no caster that can't use it effectively.
    Most items will always be relevant; that doesn't really speak volumes one way or another. You'd always rather have than not have Zhonya's and Abyssal, for instance, and there's no mage who wouldn't want Rylai's and Lichbane is nice on more people than just those who usually build it. And of course every mage uses Voidstaff and Deathcap efficiently.

The question is about the opportunity cost and which item you find the most useful and the question with DFG is if it's more optimal than another choice often enough as to push other items out of the meta, where I find the answer to be "No". It has its niché and certain champions can definitely use it and it's too powerful right now but ultimately it's the only "pure offense" itemization option in addition to Deathcap.

It's the Phantom Dancer to Deathcap's Infinity Edge on AP bursters; the two complement each other in a superb manner; DFG has an AP-scaling offensive ability and CDR to use abilities more often and some AP to multiply with Deathcap and Deathcap provides the AP to make those abilities hit harder and to make the nuke stronger and to multiply the base AP.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Troll in the Playground

Any proper Lux build should already be hitting 35-40% CDR by mid game.
    Nonsense. There's no reason for Lux to be standing more than 750 units away from the enemy team for the entirety of a fight. That's just wasteful. You have teammates, and so you've got a tank/bruiser frontline. Use them.

Lux is a burst mage with naturally high cooldowns. DFG provided the best burst in the game in addition to 15% CDR. It was perfect. What "proper" Lux builds are you talking about? I'm fairly certain that if you have more than 35% CDR during the "midgame" as Lux and you don't have a DFG your build probably sucks.

18. - Top - End - #1428

Lux is a burst mage with naturally high cooldowns. DFG provided the best burst in the game in addition to 15% CDR. It was perfect. What "proper" Lux builds are you talking about? I'm fairly certain that if you have more than 35% CDR during the "midgame" as Lux and you don't have a DFG your build probably sucks.
    An entirely valid alternative is Grail, which solves some of her mana problems. You can get DFG after that, but most people would prefer Deathcap after that.
    It's how Azubu Frost's Rapidstar builds her.
    DFG is an option for Lux, but not having DFG doesn't mean your build sucks. Just like DFG being in your build doesn't mean it sucks.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Troll in the Playground

You might have noticed that my posts tend to include a bit of hyperbole.

Grail is a really pitiful (read: strong but unappetizing due to the stiff competition it faces from other AP items) midgame item for most burst mages, though, especially those whose burst is a volatile as Lux's. I mean, you're spending 3100 gold on 90 AP worth of damage. That's not great. I feel like Athene's is a super strong item on paper but in actual in-game context it's often awkward to build around.

If I had to choose between some combination of Sorc boots, Deathcap, Void Staff, DFG, and Athene's in order to allocate my first 7-or-so thousand gold of the game, I can't say that I think Athene's would be a proper choice in most (or nearly any) situations.
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2012-10-19 at 12:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1430

Grail is a really pitiful (read: strong but unappetizing due to the stiff competition it faces from other AP items) midgame item for most burst mages, though, especially those whose burst is a volatile as Lux's. I mean, you're spending 3100 gold on 90 AP worth of damage. That's not great. I feel like Athene's is a super strong item on paper but in actual in-game context it's often awkward to build around.

If I had to choose between some combination of Sorc boots, Deathcap, Void Staff, DFG, and Athene's in order to allocate my first 7-or-so thousand gold of the game, I can't say that I think Athene's would be a proper choice in most (or nearly any) situations.
    It does have the edge of building out of item that can conceivably replace Doran's Rings in many midlanes. I definitely like it on few choice champs that really want CDR and mana (Orianna being the posterchild here; pretty good on Anivia, Swain & would be nice on Kassadin too if not for his ridiculously large Core).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-10-19 at 01:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ettin in the Playground

So... first we get Spider Queen, and now Rocketeer Tristana.

What's next, Magma Chamber?

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    So... first we get Spider Queen, and now Rocketeer Tristana.

What's next, Magma Chamber?
    Nah, the Batlecast series to come (Anivia, Kog, Skarner).
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, the Batlecast series to come (Anivia, Kog, Skarner).
    I think what he meant was "hey, [cancelled thing 1] and [cancelled thing 2] are coming out, what's next, [cancelled thing 3]?"
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    I think what he meant was "hey, [cancelled thing 1] and [cancelled thing 2] are coming out, what's next, [cancelled thing 3]?"
    ...oh...

...slowly exiting stage left...
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like Athene's Unnecessary Goblet on Karma a lot, as well.
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.
    Responses of any sort are wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Troll in the Playground

I like Athene's on anything that expects to 100-0 their mana pool quickly.

27. - Top - End - #1437

It's probably because we both tend to not use smileys that much and that makes us look more serious about things.

I see where you're coming from, and maybe you're right that DFG on lux midgame is superior to Grail, but you also need to factor in the huge advantage Lux gets from having an early Chalice as opposed to Kage's Pick given how mana hungry she is. Being able to stay in lane and use abilities that much longer helps her early game a lot. And once you have that chalice, the best course of action is of course finishing it into Grail instead of building another big item from scratch.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    I like Athene's on anything that expects to 100-0 their mana pool quickly.
    I've found it to work beautifully on Galio and Maokai, myself. They don't exactly burst, but their main skills are horribly mana intensive and need to be cast with regularity in most matchups - and both of them can make good use of some resists and AP as well!
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-10-19 at 04:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Troll in the Playground

I like Athene's on Olaf.

Sometimes Garen. It's pretty good.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Troll in the Playground

That's a strong argument for Chalice, especially for mages that just want to wave-clear and farm throughout their midgame, but Lux's mana costs aren't actually all that constrictive, assuming of course that you're donated 7 minute and 12 minute blue buffs. After all, she's one of the lucky champions who gets the entirety of their burst out of only 3 spell casts. Many champions have it much worse.

If I wasn't promised my blue buff or didn't expect that it would be easy to secure, I could definitely see myself building Chalice rather than DFG. However, in my experience, that isn't necessary in most scenarios, and DFG makes your combo just so much more solid. I think it really gives Lux the 100-0 potential that she often lacks.